PDA

View Full Version : Favorite fish including preparation

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Inspired by Chucho talking about fried flounder. This thread is going to make me hungry as hell in an hour or so.

What's your favorite fish dish?

Grilled salmon is my go to but that's just because it's pretty common on menus everywhere.

I'll have to do some reflecting to come up with a favorite.

RsxPiimp
06-27-2018, 10:43 AM
escabeche lapu lapu (sweet and sour)

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/2c/e6/db/lapu-lapu-escabeche-sweet.jpg

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 10:46 AM
damn!!! I knew this was a mistake at this time of day.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 10:50 AM
Man...fish when done right is just delish. I have to break it down into seared, baked and fried and then I'd have to make top 3 and I'd still be hard pressed.

I love thin fish fried. Bluegill, flounder and tilapia are all great fried. Catfish is ok and so are pub style fish with thick batter, but I love Cajun style, thin and cripsy fried more.

Baked salmon is delish and baked with this spinach/herb/cheese thing the wife whips up....

Pan seared will be striped bass and black bass. Snapper and sword fish are awesome seared and on the grill as well.

Fuck it, looks like I'm having fish for dinner. Probably some tacos or something.

RsxPiimp
06-27-2018, 10:52 AM
damn!!! I knew this was a mistake at this time of day.

bruh that with some steamed white rice and a large coke. gotdamn

RsxPiimp
06-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Man...fish when done right is just delish. I have to break it down into seared, baked and fried and then I'd have to make top 3 and I'd still be hard pressed.

I love thin fish fried. Bluegill, flounder and tilapia are all great fried. Catfish is ok and so are pub style fish with thick batter, but I love Cajun style, thin and cripsy fried more.

Baked salmon is delish and baked with this spinach/herb/cheese thing the wife whips up....

Pan seared will be striped bass and black bass. Snapper and sword fish are awesome seared and on the grill as well.

Fuck it, looks like I'm having fish for dinner. Probably some tacos or something.
amen on that too

Chucho
06-27-2018, 10:54 AM
2:1 odds there's someone who is going to advocate cutting their fish with scissors...

Blake
06-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Every now and again I like to get that rectangle fried fish from Lubys.

Hard to beat a good salmon filet

Blake
06-27-2018, 10:56 AM
2:1 odds there's someone who is going to advocate cutting their fish with scissors...

And cut it up into little cubes to put in a salad

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 10:59 AM
And cut it up into little cubes to put in a salad

You don't cube scissored fish.

Blake
06-27-2018, 11:01 AM
You don't cube scissored fish.

I'm sure someone fat will disagree

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 11:02 AM
I wish I had pictures to go with the best fish meals I've had.

One that stands out was this grilled mahi mahi we had that was topped with some kind of spicy mango sauce.
But without a pic...doesn't sound like much. I think it was the first time I tried mahi mahi so it stood out.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 11:03 AM
I wish I had pictures to go with the best fish meals I've had.

One that stands out was this grilled mahi mahi we had that was topped with some kind of spicy mango sauce.
But without a pic...doesn't sound like much. I think it was the first time I tried mahi mahi so it stood out.

Do you have L+L or Ohno Hawaiin BBQ chains in your neck of the woods?

They do a fried mahi mahi super cheap that is really, really tasty for a take out place.

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 11:04 AM

There's no argument. When you scissor fish, you want to end up with very thin slivers. You throw that in a bowl with BBQ sauce and honey. Let it sit for an hour.
Then boil it with potatoes, hotdogs, and corn.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 11:05 AM

:lol

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Do you have L+L or Ohno Hawaiin BBQ chains in your neck of the woods?

They do a fried mahi mahi super cheap that is really, really tasty for a take out place.

Have not heard of either...

Just looked it up and there's a Ono in Fort Worth which is about 45 minutes away. But we're always over there. Will check it out for sure.
But I don't see mahi mahi on the menu. They have an "Island White Fish" which I guess gives them some flexibility.

I don't see an L+L anywhere near. Actually I see one in Plano but that would be further than FW. They've got an interesting menu though.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Have not heard of either...

Just looked it up and there's a Ono in Fort Worth which is about 45 minutes away. But we're always over there. Will check it out for sure.
But I don't see mahi mahi on the menu. They have an "Island White Fish" which I guess gives them some flexibility.

I don't see an L+L anywhere near. Actually I see one in Plano but that would be further than FW. They've got an interesting menu though.

L+L is way better and definitely a diverse menu. They also make a really good Hawaiian spam that is a guilty pleasure.

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 11:17 AM
L+L is way better and definitely a diverse menu. They also make a really good Hawaiian spam that is a guilty pleasure.

I saw that both place offered a Spam dish. I love fish, but I would probably try the Spam first because I haven't had it in ages.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 11:22 AM
I saw that both place offered a Spam dish. I love fish, but I would probably try the Spam first because I haven't had it in ages.

L+L does a weekday special bento box with the mahi mahi, a spam slice and some pork wrapped in some Hawaiian leaf and with white rice and the simplest and most tasty macaroni salad.

Fuccckkkkkk... I'm hungry now. I already told the old lady we're having fish for dinner.

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 11:24 AM
L+L does a weekday special bento box with the mahi mahi, a spam slice and some pork wrapped in some Hawaiian leaf and with white rice and the simplest and most tasty macaroni salad.

Fuccckkkkkk... I'm hungry now. I already told the old lady we're having fish for dinner.

The only place I could get fish for lunch is Long John Silvers. The sad thing is that I'm actually thinking of going.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 11:25 AM
The only place I could get fish for lunch is Long John Silvers. The sad thing is that I'm actually thinking of going.

Better than Fred's in San Antonio... ROFL, always will remember that place rumored to be a front for drug cartels like pizzerias were for the Mob. Worst, most sad fish fillets ever.

baseline bum
06-27-2018, 11:39 AM
If I had to pick my three favorite ways of making fish they would be

1. Pan fried salmon with skin on. The skin is great when it's crispy plus you have some amazing fat in between the skin and meat. Just a little bit of oil, some salt, and some rosemary and it's great unless you overcook it. If you do I guess feed it to the fucking cat.
2. Very lightly breaded rainbow trout in a sauce of lemon, capers, and butter.
3. Lox bagel with avocado. Because avocado is good on everything.

Not that I don't love some good beer battered fish and chips or sesame crusted tuna but those gotta be my top 3 ways to make fish.

The Gemini Method
06-27-2018, 11:41 AM
I went on a overnight trip and scored some yellowtail. The proper way to prepare it is to freeze it to kill any thing the fish may have picked up. I slice up the fillets and do a basic shoyu/mirin mixture, create some wasabi, make some sushi rice, and crack open some craft du jour and enjoy. Clean, simple and probably the only way to eat a California Yellowtail.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 11:46 AM
I went on a overnight trip and scored some yellowtail. The proper way to prepare it is to freeze it to kill any thing the fish may have picked up. I slice up the fillets and do a basic shoyu/mirin mixture, create some wasabi, make some sushi rice, and crack open some craft du jour and enjoy. Clean, simple and probably the only way to eat a California Yellowtail.

Only fished the East Bay a little bit and caught the typical lincod and striped bass. Going to Monterrey for the weekend and plan on plopping on the beach, getting completely loaded and hoping to pull a few of whatever strikes. Do you know how far North Yellow Fin run?

The Gemini Method
06-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Only fished the East Bay a little bit and caught the typical lincod and striped bass. Going to Monterrey for the weekend and plan on plopping on the beach, getting completely loaded and hoping to pull a few of whatever strikes. Do you know how far North Yellow Fin run?
Yellow Fin are fond of warmer waters. I don't recall them going much further than Santa Monica. But those were when I were a kid. If you're referring to Yellowtail. They like more temperate water so you could conceviably hook one in Monterrey. I don't know if from shore, but I know places like Morro Bay Landing have caught some. Great place to get lings and white sea bass as well. IF you're fishing from shore it'll probably be rockfish, cabezon, and lings.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Yellow Fin are fond of warmer waters. I don't recall them going much further than Santa Monica. But those were when I were a kid. If you're referring to Yellowtail. They like more temperate water so you could conceviably hook one in Monterrey. I don't know if from shore, but I know places like Morro Bay Landing have caught some. Great place to get lings and white sea bass as well. IF you're fishing from shore it'll probably be rockfish, cabezon, and lings.

+2, much appreciated.

Yeah, going to try the public wharfs and piers first and if/when it gets over crowded with Johnny Sonuvabitches, I have a pal I'm going to catch up with who has some private beach front property near Carmel that I plan on hitting up. Don't really have the setups for saltwater but have a few seven footers I use for Stripers and Cats that suffice. At the very least, I'll be sloshed and it's a great reprieve from the Central Valley heat.

BD24
06-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Mahi Mahi from Papaduex in San Antonio is on point.

apalisoc_9
06-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Asian stuff :lol

spurraider21
06-27-2018, 01:33 PM
might be plain, but cant really beat good salmon filet

RsxPiimp
06-27-2018, 01:38 PM
Asian stuff :lol

:bobo

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 01:55 PM

Whenever I go to Costco, I'll get one of their preprepared salmon filet things.
It's just the salmon with some scoops of basil pesto butter on top in a tin.
All you need to do is throw it in the oven and bake it.
It's actually very good.

Although now that I think about it, it speaks to my laziness.

spurraider21
06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Whenever I go to Costco, I'll get one of their preprepared salmon filet things.
It's just the salmon with some scoops of basil pesto butter on top in a tin.
All you need to do is throw it in the oven and bake it.
It's actually very good.

Although now that I think about it, it speaks to my laziness.
nah, simple does it

its funny when people go through the hassle of making some elaborate fish meal when you can just get some plain salmon and it tastes just as good if not better

trout can be tasty too but salmon is generally more filling

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 02:05 PM
nah, simple does it

its funny when people go through the hassle of making some elaborate fish meal when you can just get some plain salmon and it tastes just as good if not better

trout can be tasty too but salmon is generally more filling

I meant that I'm too lazy to just buy the filet and throw some butter on it myself.
It's great because whatever we don't eat, I'll throw in a salad the next day.

spurraider21
06-27-2018, 02:06 PM
I meant that I'm too lazy to just buy the filet and throw some butter on it myself.
It's great because whatever we don't eat, I'll throw in a salad the next day.
i do the same with pasta

in that ill add the salmon to it. not that i throw leftover pasta into salad.

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 02:07 PM
not exactly on topic
and this isn't a submission for the thread
but while I'm on salmon...I thought salmon jerkey would be gross as fuck but this stuff makes a great snack

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0947/5734/products/salmon_strips1_large.jpg?v=1483034322

baseline bum
06-27-2018, 02:08 PM

Salmon doesn't need much, but it's way better with the skin still on IMO.

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 02:09 PM
i do the same with pasta

in that ill add the salmon to it. not that i throw leftover pasta into salad.

right. or even worse, save your leftover salad and throw into fresh pasta.

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Salmon doesn't need much, but it's way better with the skin still on IMO.

Oh yeah...I was going to ask you regarding your earlier post...so you do eat the skin? When you pan fry?

baseline bum
06-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Oh yeah...I was going to ask you regarding your earlier post...so you do eat the skin? When you pan fry?

Of course, that's the best part. Just scrape the scales off first before cooking.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Of course, that's the best part. Just scrape the scales off first before cooking.

Fish skin is to fish what the strip of fat is to a good chop or NY strip.

baseline bum
06-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Fish skin is to fish what the strip of fat is to a good chop or NY strip.

:toast

Now this thread is going to make me run by HEB to pick up some salmon or trout. :lol

SpursforSix
06-27-2018, 03:08 PM

:lol I'm not going to say what I was thinking. I actually never cut the skin off (if it's left on) so I'm with you there.
I was thinking you meant something else. Which if I thought about it would have made no sense.
I'm LMAO at the thought of what my wife would have said. I'll leave it at that.

Chucho
06-27-2018, 03:41 PM
:toast

Now this thread is going to make me run by HEB to pick up some salmon or trout. :lol

I resolved to do the same earlier when The Expert started this thread. Going to look around the dozens of Mexican meat markets for something whole and tasty to fry and going to make a vinegar-y slaw on the side and grab a case of Sierra Nevada BFD that is on insane sale right now. 12 packs for $7.99!!!!!

Avante
06-27-2018, 05:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ8oZX_Ngqg

Nothing better than flying fish, they actually glide. Many times we'd find them flopping around on deck. A huge roll and a strong wind and there they'd be.

Had to sneak around, noway the powers that be would allow anything from the sea on deck. Yep..$$$$$....solves any problem.

I have a real bad habit of assuming everybody has common sense. Ya NEVER EVER actually eat anything with scissors....honest....but in the preparation they are very useful. And beat the hell out of a knife for some cuts.

Only... here....does that need to be explained.

Going to pass on that silly back and forth bullshit, talk fish.

Adios~~~~

lil'mo
06-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Chicken fried snapper is legit

Fileted and eaten raw, right on the boat when caught, rinsed with salt water is about as good as it gets

DMC
06-28-2018, 10:27 AM
I don't eat fish often, but when I do it's almost always salmon nigiri sushi. Cooking it ruins it.

Chucho
06-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Couldn't find any good fish yesterday but found a Mexican meat market that had fresh Gulf Shrimp so peeled 5 dozen and threw together some cajun batter and fried them in coconut oil over with some angel hair pasta last night, was fucking delish.

SpursforSix
06-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Couldn't find any good fish yesterday but found a Mexican meat market that had fresh Gulf Shrimp so peeled 5 dozen and threw together some cajun batter and fried them in coconut oil over with some angel hair pasta last night, was fucking delish.

I don't eat shrimp anymore...had a bad experience.

Years ago, we were having a small get together with friends and were planning on some grilled steak and shrimp. We went to this local fish market and grabbed a couple pounds of jumbo gulf shrimp.
When we got home and opened it up, there was a pretty weird smell. But everyone had already had a few beers and talked ourselves into believe that it was just normal and that we'd cook any thing bad out of it.
Long story short...we grill the shrimp and steaks and everything tastes pretty good. About halfway through the meal, we hear a screech of tires outside. I go out to see what it was and I find my dog dead in the middle of the road.
So I can't really eat shrimp anymore.

apalisoc_9
06-28-2018, 11:27 AM
escabeche lapu lapu (sweet and sour)

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/2c/e6/db/lapu-lapu-escabeche-sweet.jpg

Fuck. This had to be homemade. Trying to call filipino restursnts amd they dont serve this dish. Might have to make it myself

DMC
06-28-2018, 11:53 AM
I don't eat shrimp anymore...had a bad experience.

Years ago, we were having a small get together with friends and were planning on some grilled steak and shrimp. We went to this local fish market and grabbed a couple pounds of jumbo gulf shrimp.
When we got home and opened it up, there was a pretty weird smell. But everyone had already had a few beers and talked ourselves into believe that it was just normal and that we'd cook any thing bad out of it.
Long story short...we grill the shrimp and steaks and everything tastes pretty good. About halfway through the meal, we hear a screech of tires outside. I go out to see what it was and I find my dog dead in the middle of the road.
So I can't really eat shrimp anymore.

Do you want to sell the dog?

SpursforSix
06-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Do you want to sell the dog?

I don't have it. By the time we finished dinner, someone had cleaned him up.

DMC
06-28-2018, 12:09 PM
I don't have it. By the time we finished dinner, someone had cleaned him up.

Shit. I have a Filipino neighbor.. you know.

SpursforSix
06-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Shit. I have a Filipino neighbor.. you know.

Me too! They're super nice. In fact, they felt so bad for me that they had us over for BBQ the next day.

Monostradamus
06-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Being half Korean, I love salted mackerel. But nothing beats fresh salmon.

DMC
06-28-2018, 11:16 PM
Me too! They're super nice. In fact, they felt so bad for me that they had us over for BBQ the next day.

Did they show you how to wok your dog?

SpursforSix
06-29-2018, 12:14 AM
Did they show you how to wok your dog?

No, we never did really do much training. Other than sit and no. And speak.

DJR210
06-29-2018, 01:16 AM
Taking a whole fish of your choice, scouring and loading up those grooves with lemon, herbs and seasonings, wrapping in foil (leave a good vent for the smoke to get in) and smoking in the pit.. shit comes out great

chunticakes
07-09-2018, 03:49 AM
Fuck this thread. It's 3:49 in the morning and I'm stoned and hungry :lol

DeadlyDynasty
07-09-2018, 06:11 AM
Inspired by Chucho talking about fried flounder. This thread is going to make me hungry as hell in an hour or so.

What's your favorite fish dish?

Grilled salmon is my go to but that's just because it's pretty common on menus everywhere.

I'll have to do some reflecting to come up with a favorite.

Grilled salmon as well...love it

Orange ruffy a close second

DeadlyDynasty
07-09-2018, 06:13 AM

In about 15 min I'll have some grilled salmon on a bed of steamed and buttered white rice arriving at my table...my mouth is watering already

Blake
07-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Lol Coke?

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2018, 12:31 AM
sardines in a tin can with tomato goes fine in a bread roll with cucumber

steam barramundi with rice noodles in rice paper roll with ur lettuces

and sashimi...

tlongII
07-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Lightly breaded halibut. Love it.

baseline bum
07-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Lightly breaded halibut. Love it.

:bobo

DD
07-12-2018, 10:24 AM
sardines in a tin can with tomato goes fine in a bread roll with cucumber

steam barramundi with rice noodles in rice paper roll with ur lettuces

Don't advertise your poverty

Blake
07-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Don't advertise your poverty

In Australia that and tall can of Fosters might be considered big timing.