PDA

View Full Version : Spurs missed out trading Leonard at his highest trade value

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:03 AM
The Spurs were too conservative by not seriously looking to trade Leonard and should have moved him before he started talking about only wanting to play for the Lakers.
The front office failed in not seriously taking offers at the right time.

The window of getting any type of value back for him is closing fast. The Spurs should have traded him to Cleveland for a player and their draft pick 8th overall or to Phil 10th pick and player/players or Boston on or before draft night to get max value back for him instead of waiting and having his value fall.

bklynspursfan
06-29-2018, 10:07 AM
They felt they could repair the relationship. It would be silly for them to not try.

There's still an opportunity to get a good deal back for him. Especially once Lebron/PG make their decisions, teams get desperate. Things change

cd98
06-29-2018, 10:09 AM
No right answer on when to trade him. ESP if they were trying to work it out.

Mr. Body
06-29-2018, 10:09 AM
No trade is as good as keeping him, which is what they've tried to do.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:11 AM
No right answer on when to trade him. ESP if they were trying to work it out.

Trying to work it out was the Spurs mistake. That is being too conservative.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:13 AM
No trade is as good as keeping him, which is what they've tried to do.

Don't know for sure. Leonard was not considered all that special when he came out of the draft or else he would have been drafted higher so you don't know what draft picks will turn out in the future.

Mr. Body
06-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Don't know for sure. Leonard was not considered all that special when he came out of the draft or else he would have been drafted higher so you don't know what draft picks will turn out in the future.

Uh... huh?

cd98
06-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Trying to work it out was the Spurs mistake. That is being too conservative.

But if they had worked it out like they did with LMA, everyone would be saying Spurs organization is the model.

Hindsight is 20/20.

they may not have known Kawhi was a “no” and wanted LA until after the trade deadline.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:23 AM
But if they had worked it out like they did with LMA, everyone would be saying Spurs organization is the model.

Hindsight is 20/20.

they may not have known Kawhi was a “no” and wanted LA until after the trade deadline.

It isn't hind sight. I said they should have traded Leonard on draft night.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-29-2018, 10:24 AM
It isn't hind sight. I said they should have traded Leonard on draft night.

For Harris, 12 and 13? If this is his highest value, they'd better keep him for the season. A 50 win season is worth more than the Clippers trash.

John B
06-29-2018, 10:27 AM
It’s waiting game with LA tonight being the last day for LeBron to opt out. If he opts in, Lakers would have to trade for him, they don’t have the cap to afford both Kawhi and PG. Spurs are trying to avoid a Superteam.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:29 AM
For Harris, 12 and 13? If this is his highest value, they'd better keep him for the season. A 50 win season is worth more than the Clippers trash.

Should have traded him to Phil or Boston or Cleveland. Doesn't seem like the Spurs were putting out offers just halfheartedly listening to offers but not actively looking for a trade.

Clipper Nation
06-29-2018, 10:30 AM
That's way better than any of the Lakers' trash.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:31 AM
That's way better than any of the Lakers' trash.

Agree
That will be better than the trash the Spurs are going to get.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Should have traded him to Phil or Boston or Cleveland. Doesn't seem like the Spurs were putting out offers just halfheartedly listening to offers but not actively looking for a trade.

Oh I see. So they should have traded him for your fantasy trade that's supposed to be at his max value, not for an actual offer they've received.

ducks
06-29-2018, 10:34 AM
The Spurs were too conservative by not seriously looking to trade Leonard and should have moved him before he started talking about only wanting to play for the Lakers.

The window of getting any type of value back for him is closing fast. The Spurs should have traded him to Cleveland for a player and their draft pick 8th overall or to Phil 10th pick and player/players or Boston on or before draft night to get max value back for him instead of waiting and having his value fall.had they known it would have went public spurs might have traded him before. Spurs are not used to this.
if spurs traded him early people would have been pissed they did not try to work it out

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Oh I see. So they should have traded him for your fantasy trade that's supposed to be at his max value, not for an actual offer they've received.

Reports I have seen was the Spurs were not actively looking to trade Leonard.
Had they really wanted to trade him at that time they could have since there were teams (Cleveland, Phil and Boston, Clippers) interested in trading for him.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
had they known it would have went public spurs might have traded him before. Spurs are not used to this.
if spurs traded him early people would have been pissed they did not try to work it out

They should have had the foresight Leonard was serious about not coming back and get good value back in a trade.
Timing is everything and the front office messed up on this one.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Reports I have seen was the Spurs were not actively looking to trade Leonard.
Had they really wanted to trade him at that time they could have since there were teams (Cleveland, Phil and Boston, Clippers) interested in trading for him.

Fantasy trade exists only in your head. The only offer they actually received, per reports, was the Clippers one.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Fantasy trade exists only in your head. The only offer they actually received, per reports, was the Clippers one.

Ever think the Spurs can put out trade offers themselves. I saw nothing that the Spurs put out offers to other teams that were declined.
It was common knowledge the Spurs were not actively looking to trade Leonard.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Ever think the Spurs can put out trade offers themselves. I saw nothing that the Spurs put out offers to other teams that were declined.
It was common knowledge the Spurs were not actively looking to trade Leonard.

It was widely reported they wanted Tatum, but Boston wouldn't trade him.

ducks
06-29-2018, 10:43 AM
you do have to realize teams also know lenoaerd has not played 60 games in a year ever or close to that in the regular season that is 1/4 of the games
he is injury prone
great when healthy but useless when not and last year was not even helping from the bench telling teammates what they need to do on d

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:45 AM
It was widely reported they wanted Tatum, but Boston wouldn't trade him.

So what was the actual trade that was declined? There was word that the Spurs mentioned a player they were interested in(that player was declined) but no real offer was made other than the spurs were interested in a player. So go to another team with offers.
The spurs were not serious in trading Leonard that is why he was not traded.

ducks
06-29-2018, 10:48 AM
no team was serious about trading for leonard they knew spurs wanted a good or great offer nothing so far is even a good offer

baseline bum
06-29-2018, 10:48 AM

The window of getting any type of value back for him is closing fast. The Spurs should have traded him to Cleveland for a player and their draft pick 8th overall or to Phil 10th pick and player/players or Boston on or before draft night to get max value back for him instead of waiting and having his value fall.

So they should have traded Kawhi during the Finals?

TheGreatYacht
06-29-2018, 10:50 AM
I called it. Me.

Uncle Dennis surely reads my posts and has done exactly what I said he'd do. Publicly request a trade to the Lakers if the Spurms were trying to play hardball.

ducks
06-29-2018, 10:52 AM
pop is a liberal not a conservative by the way rascal

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:53 AM
no team was serious about trading for leonard they knew spurs wanted a good or great offer nothing so far is even a good offer

The Spurs did not want to trade Leonard. That is the bottom line to it. There were good trade packages available had the spurs been more aggressive in wanting to trade him. Phil traded their number 10 draft pick to Phoenix so they could have worked out a package with Phil and even Cleveland should have been desperate to keep James so a deal with them for the 8th pick and a player was still better than what the spurs are going to end up. Even the Clipper deal is better than what they are going to get back later.

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:55 AM
pop is a liberal not a conservative by the way rascal

I am not talking politics of Pop but the conservative nature of thinking for the franchise.
Not making a trade and keeping things the same is the conservative approach.

ducks
06-29-2018, 10:55 AM
what good or great trade deal did spurs turn down?

rascal
06-29-2018, 10:59 AM
what good or great trade deal did spurs turn down?

The trades they did not try to make are the trades they lost on. It is known the Spurs did not want to trade Leonard and were not putting out offers themselves but just listening to offers from other teams.

Dverde
06-29-2018, 10:59 AM
I like how they are making his ass wait. Let him feel the uncertainty his prolonged absence gave the team the entire season. They were going to trade him, but the are getting a second opinion. Plus that Tobias Harris clipper deal ain’t going nowhere anytime soon.

BSfromTX
06-29-2018, 11:26 AM
This is where Kawhi could have saved face. He could have gone to Pop before trade deadline and said look I’m sorry but I don’t want to be here (I believe he knew that back then but Supermax made him not so sure). Pop could have them quietly pursued a good trade package

kawhi saying he didn’t like being fronted by the team is weak ass BS. He’s just searching for thing to justify him leaving. And for the record, I’m not butt hurt if he doesn’t want to be here. What pisses me off is the fact he’s throwing the entire organization under the bus on the way out... not cool

sammy
06-29-2018, 11:45 AM
This is where Kawhi could have saved face. He could have gone to Pop before trade deadline and said look I’m sorry but I don’t want to be here (I believe he knew that back then but Supermax made him not so sure). Pop could have them quietly pursued a good trade package

kawhi saying he didn’t like being fronted by the team is weak ass BS. He’s just searching for thing to justify him leaving. And for the record, I’m not butt hurt if he doesn’t want to be here. What pisses me off is the fact he’s throwing the entire organization under the bus on the way out... not cool

Great take! I agree!

james evans
06-29-2018, 12:10 PM
trade leonard, trade aldridge for future picks(and you know whomever he's going to they are lottery bound again), tank next year. Get the 1st pick(Williamson) and another lottery pick on top of what you have and we'd be contenders again real soon. But I know Popovich has too much pride to miss the playoffs and tank for future titles because the future of the team has no weight on his legacy. He'd rather keep making the playoffs every year getting put out of the first round so the media can keep sucking his dick about a 20+ year playoff run. Fuck that Leonard shit, we need to be worried about the FUTURE. We aint winning any titles or even be in the hunt for them any time soon if we don't start building. And I aint talking about building around Mills, Aldridge, Gasol, and Rudy Gay

daslicer
06-29-2018, 12:20 PM
trade leonard, trade aldridge for future picks(and you know whomever he's going to they are lottery bound again), tank next year. Get the 1st pick(Williamson) and another lottery pick on top of what you have and we'd be contenders again real soon. But I know Popovich has too much pride to miss the playoffs and tank for future titles because the future of the team has no weight on his legacy. He'd rather keep making the playoffs every year getting put out of the first round so the media can keep sucking his dick about a 20+ year playoff run. Fuck that Leonard shit, we need to be worried about the FUTURE. We aint winning any titles or even be in the hunt for them any time soon if we don't start building. And I aint talking about building around Mills, Aldridge, Gasol, and Rudy Gay

Your strategy of tanking is not fool proof. It could take multiple years of tanking much like what the Sixers did before the Spurs could ever get a number 1 pick that is worthy of being a superstar. I remember my home team the Hornets tanking to get Anthony Davis several years ago and they had the worst record. Despite having the worst record they still ended up with the second pick which turned out to be Kidd-Gill Christ. Also look at the Celtics back in '97. They tanked harder than the Spurs and we saw how that ended up.

james evans
06-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Your strategy of tanking is not fool proof. It could take multiple years of tanking much like what the Sixers did before the Spurs could ever get a number 1 pick that is worthy of being a superstar. I remember my home team the Hornets tanking to get Anthony Davis several years ago and they had the worst record. Despite having the worst record they still ended up with the second pick which turned out to be Kidd-Gill Christ. Also look at the Celtics back in '97. They tanked harder than the Spurs and we saw how that ended up.
true, but if you don't get the first pick, you still get in the top 3 or 4 and we are a very good team at drafting even late in the first round. Sometimes, it helps when teams don't have the FIRST pick because in 2007, everyone was tanking for Greg Oden. I don't care what Seattle(okc) says, they would have picked him too had they got the first pick. So you're right about that number 1 pick, but a team like the Spurs can't go wrong with 2 picks in the top 10 on top of what they get for Leonard and Aldridge.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-29-2018, 12:32 PM

Spurs were losing money even when they reached the WCF. They can't afford to tank even if they wanted to.

daslicer
06-29-2018, 12:35 PM
true, but if you don't get the first pick, you still get in the top 3 or 4 and we are a very good team at drafting even late in the first round. Sometimes, it helps when teams don't have the FIRST pick because in 2007, everyone was tanking for Greg Oden. I don't care what Seattle(okc) says, they would have picked him too had they got the first pick. So you're right about that number 1 pick, but a team like the Spurs can't go wrong with 2 picks in the top 10 on top of what they get for Leonard and Aldridge.

Timing has to be right for even a top 5 pick. When I mean timing it has to do with the draft class. Some draft classes are super strong while others can be pretty shitty.

JFK
06-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Any scenario that fucks over Tragic Johnson and the Lakers while also sending this piece of quitting crap Kawhi to anywhere other than L.A. will be a success in my eyes at this point.

The Spurs were NEVER EVER getting anything close to equal value and it would all be a crap shoot with rookies anyways. It looks like if Boston once offered Brown or Tatum then that would have been the best move for them.

I hope they aren't ready to send the guy off and have urgency to do so. I hope R.C. is playing the rest of these teams for assholes and make them scramble and panic.

If I see Leonard is traded soon and ends up with LeBron in Los Angeles then I will be pissed at this point. Thre is no need to trade him. If they have to I would rather see him sit out or make it very uncomfortable for him. What is he going to do? Set fire to the AT&T Center or burn down people's houses if he doesn't get his way?

I want Kawhi to go ahead and throw his tantrum on Aisle 9 at H-E-B and roll all over the floor crying until he is done.

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Any scenario that fucks over Tragic Johnson and the Lakers while also sending this piece of quitting crap Kawhi to anywhere other than L.A. will be a success in my eyes at this point.

The Spurs were NEVER EVER getting anything close to equal value and it would all be a crap shoot with rookies anyways. It looks like if Boston once offered Brown or Tatum then that would have been the best move for them.

I hope they aren't ready to send the guy off and have urgency to do so. I hope R.C. is playing the rest of these teams for assholes and make them scramble and panic.

If I see Leonard is traded soon and ends up with LeBron in Los Angeles then I will be pissed at this point. Thre is no need to trade him. If they have to I would rather see him sit out or make it very uncomfortable for him. What is he going to do? Set fire to the AT&T Center or burn down people's houses if he doesn't get his way?

I want Kawhi to go ahead and throw his tantrum on Aisle 9 at H-E-B and roll all over the floor crying until he is done.

Correct. The worst time to do a deal is now when someone is banking on a false sense of urgency to get your best asset at a heavily discounted price. Urgency on the Lakers' part is not the same on the Spurs' part. Especially when what they are supposedly missing out on is dogshit.

phxspurfan
06-29-2018, 01:22 PM
That much is obvious at this point, they went high risk (ironically) by trying to reason with him and His Camp. It kind of blew up in their faces after the whole Team Meeting thing

phxspurfan
06-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Spurs were losing money even when they reached the WCF. They can't afford to tank even if they wanted to.

They can afford to tank with Bezos' money in Seattle :drunk:

rascal
07-01-2018, 10:21 PM
I was right.

07-01-2018, 10:34 PM
:lol at the panicking. Spurs are the ones holding the asset. The longer they hold, the higher the chance a team will cave. The Sixers don't want the Lakers getting Leonard if they can get him first, the Lakers don't want the Sixers possibly convincing Leonard to stay, and other teams out there get more desperate by the day to land a top 5 player entering his prime.

Plus all this time, Leonard and co. get more desperate as they don't want to start the next season looking like gigantic bitches by sitting Leonard out. They played it poorly from the start by trying to force a trade to the Lakers. That tanked Leonard's value to the Lakers because that made they greedy and emboldened and caused the Spurs to not want to pull the trigger. Leonard's camp will get desperate enough and be open to other options to get him off the Spurs.

rascal
07-01-2018, 10:43 PM
:lol at the panicking. Spurs are the ones holding the asset. The longer they hold, the higher the chance a team will cave. The Sixers don't want the Lakers getting Leonard if they can get him first, the Lakers don't want the Sixers possibly convincing Leonard to stay, and other teams out there get more desperate by the day to land a top 5 player entering his prime.

Plus all this time, Leonard and co. get more desperate as they don't want to start the next season looking like gigantic bitches by sitting Leonard out. They played it poorly from the start by trying to force a trade to the Lakers. That tanked Leonard's value to the Lakers because that made they greedy and emboldened and caused the Spurs to not want to pull the trigger. Leonard's camp will get desperate enough and be open to other options to get him off the Spurs.

The Spurs aren't getting any value back for Leonard now after James has gone to LA, as teams are not going to give top assets for a player who publicly has already said he wants to play for the Lakers.

PublicOption
07-01-2018, 10:45 PM
This minute is Kahwi...highest value....or he sits out.

UnWantedTheory
07-01-2018, 10:45 PM
The Spurs aren't getting any value back for Leonard now after James has gone to LA, as teams are not going to give top assets for a player who publicly has already said he wants to play for the Lakers. One of the biggest issues about this whole situation is that Leonard hasn't publicly said anything. Ever story out there has an opposite contradicting it. Calm down. Spurs still hold as many cards as they did last week.

SuperCam
07-01-2018, 10:47 PM
One of the biggest issues about this whole situation is that Leonard hasn't publicly said anything. Ever story out there has an opposite contradicting it. Calm down. Spurs still hold as many cards as they did last week.

don't be naive, Kiwi's camp knows what they are doing through their leaks.

Lebron is leaving 2019 cap space open for a reason with these 1 year deals - either Kiwi walks to them in 2019 or it forces PATFO to accept much weaker deal. One way or another Kiwi will be a Laker in one year's time.

look_at_g_shred
07-01-2018, 10:51 PM
don't be naive, Kiwi's camp knows what they are doing through their leaks.

Lebron is leaving 2019 cap space open for a reason with these 1 year deals - either Kiwi walks to them in 2019 or it forces PATFO to accept much weaker deal. One way or another Kiwi will be a Laker in one year's time. U talking about that 5 year 139 max? lol

SuperCam
07-01-2018, 11:02 PM
2018 trade deadline: lottery picks, young talent

2018 predraft: lottery pick, a young talent

2018 post lebron decision: no lottery picks, middling talent

what a enormous fuck up by PATFO tbh. lebron now leaving a seat with Kiwi's name on it for 2019 and by doing so driving off all other suitors and lowering the price to his new team. well done :wow

rascal
07-02-2018, 06:08 AM
Correct. The worst time to do a deal is now when someone is banking on a false sense of urgency to get your best asset at a heavily discounted price. Urgency on the Lakers' part is not the same on the Spurs' part. Especially when what they are supposedly missing out on is dogshit.

Still feel like the worst time to trade Leonard was before James signing with the Lakers?

sventhedog
07-02-2018, 06:17 AM
what do you mean? you can't expect all the teams to line up and give up all their assets when they can just wait one year for kawhi's contract to expire.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Still feel like the worst time to trade Leonard was before James signing with the Lakers?

Yes. What great return was missed out on?

dbestpro
07-02-2018, 10:44 AM

..................crickets..............

ceperez
07-02-2018, 10:48 AM
The Spurs did not want to trade Leonard. That is the bottom line to it. There were good trade packages available had the spurs been more aggressive in wanting to trade him. Phil traded their number 10 draft pick to Phoenix so they could have worked out a package with Phil and even Cleveland should have been desperate to keep James so a deal with them for the 8th pick and a player was still better than what the spurs are going to end up. Even the Clipper deal is better than what they are going to get back later.

Somehow Spurs PATFO felt it was salvageable.

Otherwise they would have been taking calls and shipping him over elsewhere before he even spoke.

Anyway, Lebron isn't getting any younger and he's not going to waste a year waiting for Kawhi to sign. I see LA giving away first round picks in the trade.

Truth4sale$
07-02-2018, 11:53 AM
I say deal with any team to get young talent and picks. I say Phoenix and Josh Jackson

rascal
07-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Go back and reread the thread. I explain it there.

The Spurs are not going to get anywhere near the value any more they would have gotten on draft night had they really wanted to make a trade on draft night.

rascal
07-02-2018, 12:33 PM

A trade with Phil for the 10th pick and players.

rascal
07-02-2018, 12:36 PM
I say deal with any team to get young talent and picks. I say Phoenix and Josh Jackson

The best case scenario now is for the Spurs to get a 3rd team involved like Phoenix. Phoenix gets Ball.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Link?

rascal
07-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Link?

Look it up yourself. Phil was ready to make a trade for Leonard. Phil traded the 10th pick to Phoenix had the Spurs been more aggressive in trying to make a trade they could have gotten that 10th pick and players from Phil on draft night. The Spurs sat on their hands on draft night because they really did not want to make a trade.

This Spurs front office has a history of not making trades or adverse to making trades.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2018, 12:44 PM
So just speculation.

Best available deal was two late lotto picks and Tobias Harris.

K...
07-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Look it up yourself. Phil was ready to make a trade for Leonard. Phil traded the 10th pick to Phoenix had the Spurs been more aggressive in trying to make a trade they could have gotten that 10th pick and players from Phil on draft night. The Spurs sat on their hands on draft night because they really did not want to make a trade.

This Spurs front office has a history of not making trades or adverse to making trades.

They traded for a rookie and future first. It's possible they valued that more than the rental of disgruntled kawhi. Philly had been all over the place in what they'd offer, but the trade with Phoenix was a slam dunk. A trade for Kawhi is more risky for them.

rascal
07-02-2018, 01:01 PM
They traded for a rookie and future first. It's possible they valued that more than the rental of disgruntled kawhi. Philly had been all over the place in what they'd offer, but the trade with Phoenix was a slam dunk. A trade for Kawhi is more risky for them.

No trading away Bridges was a bad move. Many of the Phil fans are pissed off at it.

dbestpro
07-02-2018, 01:04 PM

No link Huh?

K...
07-02-2018, 01:05 PM
No trading away Bridges was a bad move. Many of the Phil fans are pissed off at it.

Mainly because he was a local kid. that pick is what the main value is fwiw,

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Meh. His holdout, injury, bullsh!t, drove his value down from the start of this mess. His highest value was at the start of the '17-'18 season. His camp has turned him into a cancer ever since and the Spurs were never going to get anything close to equal value. All the Spurs could really do was try to mend the relationship. I've been a Spurs fan all my life and I've never seen a player try to screw the team like this. Gold medal to Kawhi. Silver to Dennis Rodman. Distant bronze perhaps to Derek Anderson...although the Spurs were smart not to bow to his contract demands back in the day and he was just looking to get paid and was open about it all.

I've been a huge Kawhi fan. It's really sad the way this has all unfolded.

phxspurfan
07-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Meh. His holdout, injury, bullsh!t, drove his value down from the start of this mess. His highest value was at the start of the '17-'18 season. His camp has turned him into a cancer ever since and the Spurs were never going to get anything close to equal value. All the Spurs could really do was try to mend the relationship. I've been a Spurs fan all my life and I've never seen a player try to screw the team like this. Gold medal to Kawhi. Silver to Dennis Rodman. Distant bronze perhaps to Derek Anderson...although the Spurs were smart not to bow to his contract demands back in the day and he was just looking to get paid and was open about it all.

I've been a huge Kawhi fan. It's really sad the way this has all unfolded.

I've been a huge Spurs fan. I'm sure you were/still are too. This whole business just reminds everyone not to become player fans. Root for your team, not players and their entourages.

SuperCam
07-18-2018, 08:37 AM
turned down kyrie kiwi swap at deadline

turned down 2 lottery picks and tobias harris

but at least PATFO got a 1-20 protected lottery pick along with DeChoker :bang

twitter roasting this trade tbh

james evans
07-18-2018, 09:24 AM
kyrie didn't finish the season

rascal
07-18-2018, 10:09 AM
turned down kyrie kiwi swap at deadline

turned down 2 lottery picks and tobias harris

but at least PATFO got a 1-20 protected lottery pick along with DeChoker :bang

twitter roasting this trade tbh

Still think the Spurs could have gotten the 10th pick in a package for Kawhi and then draft Mikal Bridges. Draft day was the time to move Leonard. The Clippers deal could have landed Miles Bridges and Porter which is better than the deal with Toronto.