PDA

View Full Version : Making point with paint

ducks
10-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Making point with paint

By Art Garcia

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Dirk Nowitzki still feels the urge when he's the first guy trailing on the fast break. It's an instinctive thing that just hasn't been programmed out of the sharp-shooting 7-footer.

He automatically wants to find the 3-point line.

"It's a little weird sometimes. I want to run to the wing and spot up," Nowitzki said Thursday after practice. "Especially when Nashy had the ball. I knew I was spotting up for a 3, and the ball was coming to the right spot. Now, we're changing a little bit."

The change isn't just because Steve Nash is long gone. It's about a changing mind-set under coach Avery Johnson.

Johnson wants the Mavericks to develop a post-up presence, led by Nowitzki.

Nowitzki admits that part of his game isn't second nature yet.

"I've got to force myself to run down to the block or to the rim, and be big down there," Nowitzki said. "It's a matter of programming."

Posting up isn't foreign to the Mavs' offense in recent years, but the previous philosophy was somewhat unconventional and played to different strengths. Former coach Don Nelson would just as soon use Nash or Nick Van Exel to make things happen near the basket.

That's not likely to happen with point guards Jason Terry, Devin Harris or Darrell Armstrong. Because of the team's size and athleticism -- and lack of proven 3-point threats outside of Terry and Nowitzki -- Johnson wants to pressure teams down low.

Josh Howard is working more from the block. Jerry Stackhouse and Marquis Daniels are accomplished at posting up players their size. Erick Dampier continues to work on a jump-hook to establish himself offensively earlier in games.

"We're making a conscious effort to go down there," Johnson said. "Points in the paint is a really big deal for us this year."

The Mavs have been credited with 170 points in the paint through four preseason games, an average of 42.3 per game. Opponents have scored 142, an average of 35.5.

But the Mavs aren't going to abandon their personality and become the San Antonio Spurs. Johnson has stressed a desire to remain up-tempo and score in the 100s.

Going inside more doesn't mean becoming strictly an inside-out team.

"I don't think we're built that way," Johnson said. "We just want to be able to go inside a little bit more than what we have. It we went inside hypothetically two out of 10 times, we hope four will do it for us."

Unlike holding opponents to 42-percent shooting, there isn't a magic number for how many points the Mavs need to score inside to be successful.

"We look at the opportunities we had to score in the paint," he said. "Did we settle for jump shots? Was it a good shot? Did we have an opportunity to penetrate or post up?"

If that means a few less 3-pointers from Nowitzki on the break, he's fine with it.

"I haven't really done that bad of running right to the rim in the preseason," he said. "It'll be a work in progress. Hopefully, by the playoffs, I'll be pretty good in there."

mavs.com