PDA

View Full Version : It's Still Business, After All

NickiRasgo
07-01-2018, 02:14 PM
This offseason should be about matching the Warriors' roster (in paper) after all and I think it's still the goal. LeBron getting swept in the finals hurts the NBA's business in terms of ratings and revenue.
I think NBA (and Adam Silver) has the say where LeBron should play next season regardless if it's in the western or eastern team. If LeBron moves to west, I think they're considering changing the playoff format sooner as discussed below:

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/02/18/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-press-conference

LeBron leaving the east will make the Eastern Conference less appealing to watch and everyone will just focus on Western Conference.

I may be wrong but I really don't see the point LeBron going to Lakers, why?

He's still after for the good/best of his legacy even though if it's what best (Cleveland or Los Angeles) for his family , both teams still have a big question mark how will they match-up Warriors' roster sooner
The pressure he'll receive of very large fanbase of Lakers (who probably switches to Warriors for now) to win another championship sooner
If he fails to deliver, he'll get blame and be compared negatively again to Kobe (even Magic) or Jordan again
And etc.

I do think below are the following teams have the shot currently to acquire LeBron from the free agency:

Sixers - Good in paper, assuming they're healthy and needed only a minor tweak on their roster to match-up Warriors' roster. Not to mention they have a chance to acquire Kawhi from Spurs
Spurs - I'll be biased about it but Spurs are good in paper as well assuming Kawhi and the Spurs somehow fixes their relationship (even a long-shot) and if healthy as well as they have a legitimate chance to dethrone the Warriors with the addition of LeBron - didn't Pop and LeBron met in New York just few weeks ago?
Cavs - If Cavs made a big movement sooner, LeBron will probably stay - who knows even though the Cavs' management is currently suck as well

If the Spurs traded Kawhi to Sixers then LeBron will probably sign with them. I do think Spurs somehow considering helping the Sixers (because of Brett) given with the current situation with Kawhi and just to move on.
I just hope that the Spurs can get a good return for Kawhi and the Sixers (and NBA) will help us in the future (even if it's unlikely) as this will help the business of the NBA.

Your thoughts?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-01-2018, 04:06 PM
lebron to denver on account of edibles

Dingle Barry
07-01-2018, 04:12 PM
LeBron and Pop didn't meet in NY. Not sure where you got that.

NickiRasgo
07-01-2018, 04:28 PM
LeBron and Pop didn't meet in NY. Not sure where you got that.

So just a speculation then. Yup it wasn't reported officially but just asking if it's there's something true with that.

NickiRasgo
07-01-2018, 11:33 PM
Then I'm wrong... I still don't get his move to the Lakers in terms of his legacy. Maybe because it's business.

Barfunk
07-02-2018, 12:28 AM
Then I'm wrong... I still don't get his move to the Lakers in terms of his legacy. Maybe because it's business.

That and he wants to come to the stadium in a fur coat. Holy shit Lebron is a lame, cheesy, douchebag tool.

NickiRasgo
07-02-2018, 12:43 AM
That and he wants to come to the stadium in a fur coat. Holy shit Lebron is a lame, cheesy, douchebag tool.

I'm starting to forgive and like him when returned to the Cavs especially when he won the finals after a 3-1 lead by the Warriors and now, it's gone. I don't mind if the Warriors wins it again because of his move. He has the key to somehow match the Warriors' roster (in paper) then goes to the Lakers.

Ice009
07-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Why are you now complaining after starting a thread title saying it's all business.

The Spurs had no shot at him whatsoever. I just hope the Spurs aren't stupid enough to trade Kawhi to the Lakers, as I still like Kawhi's game and want to watch him, but I don't think I can watch him if he were to go to the Lakers now that Lebron is there. Unless the haul is good and there Spurs ended up with a better haul (not possible at all), then trade him anywhere but the Lakers.

NickiRasgo
07-02-2018, 04:53 AM
Why are you now complaining after starting a thread title saying it's all business.

The Spurs had no shot at him whatsoever. I just hope the Spurs aren't stupid enough to trade Kawhi to the Lakers, as I still like Kawhi's game and want to watch him, but I don't think I can watch him if he were to go to the Lakers now that Lebron is there. Unless the haul is good and there Spurs ended up with a better haul (not possible at all), then trade him anywhere but the Lakers.

Maybe I'm frustrated because I somehow see him going to Sixers or stay in Cavs. Not to mention that we somehow loses the leverage with the situation of Kawhi in terms of trading. I'm not really saying that Spurs have a shot, I just don't see the Lakers can match-up immediately the Warriors' roster (in paper). The problem now with Kawhi even if he stays and plays is that it won't be the same again. Heck he can even not give his 100% playing and act like he's currently sucking.

violentkitten
07-02-2018, 05:27 AM
lots of other entertainment options out there. that's the other side of the coin. while stern was hated by fans he did push for a cba framework designed to encourage parity and for players to remain loyal to fanbases. if that era is over then I suspect more fans will start changing the channel or closing the app. the NBA is just sports that's on when a football game isn't on for many. if the local nba team isn't any good because they lost their good player to a superteam then most likely fewer people will be viewing.

violentkitten
07-02-2018, 05:40 AM
and football, at least the NFL, has been doing its best to lose fans even before the mindnumbing national anthem issue. I can stream whatever I want why am I going to watch a game with continual interruptions for commercials and to review plays?

violentkitten
07-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Baseball went down the path of superteam and now the MLB is in 3rd place fighting to stay ahead of the NHL despite half that league being in another country.

violentkitten
07-02-2018, 05:46 AM
sports media seems to be nothing more than cheerleaders for large market teams. the knicks get so much coverage despite being a dog's breakfast for the last couple of decades.

violentkitten
07-02-2018, 05:52 AM
baseball just saw owners stop handing out large long term deals last offseason. the NBA isn't that far off, there are a million billion entertainment options today. the tv deals which have led to the cap increases are not sustainable. and the great futbol future might just happen for real finally.

rascal
07-02-2018, 06:32 AM
The Spurs should have traded Kawhi on draft night to the 76ers.