PDA

View Full Version : The FART Act

Splits
07-02-2018, 04:18 AM
Exclusive: A leaked Trump bill to blow up the WTO (https://www.axios.com/trump-trade-war-leaked-bill-world-trade-organization-united-states-d51278d2-0516-4def-a4d3-ed676f4e0f83.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twsocialshare&utm_campaign=organic)

Axios has obtained a leaked draft of a Trump administration bill — ordered by the president himself — that would declare America’s abandonment of fundamental World Trade Organization rules.
Why it matters: The draft legislation is stunning. The bill essentially provides Trump a license to raise U.S. tariffs at will, without congressional consent and international rules be damned.

The details: The bill, titled the "United States Fair and Reciprocal Tariff Act," would give Trump unilateral power to ignore the two most basic principles of the WTO and negotiate one-on-one with any country:

The "Most Favored Nation" (MFN) principle that countries can't set different tariff rates for different countries outside of free trade agreements;
"Bound tariff rates" — the tariff ceilings that each WTO country has already agreed to in previous negotiations.

"It would be the equivalent of walking away from the WTO and our commitments there without us actually notifying our withdrawal," said a source familiar with the bill.

"The good news is Congress would never give this authority to the president," the source added, describing the bill as "insane."
"It's not implementable at the border," given it would create potentially tens of thousands of new tariff rates on products. "And it would completely remove us from the set of global trade rules."

Behind the scenes: Trump was briefed on this draft in late May, according to sources familiar with the situation. Most officials involved in the bill's drafting — with the notable exception of hardline trade adviser Peter Navarro — think the bill is unrealistic or unworkable. USTR, Commerce and the White House are involved.

In a White House meeting to discuss the bill earlier this year, Legislative Affairs Director Marc Short bluntly told Navarro the bill was "dead on arrival" and would receive zero support on Capitol Hill, according to sources familiar with the exchange.
Navarro replied to Short that he thought the bill would get plenty of support, particularly from Democrats, but Short told Navarro he didn't think Democrats were in much of a mood to hand over moreauthority to Trump.

White House response: Spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said, "It is no secret that POTUS has had frustrations with the unfair imbalance of tariffs that put the U.S. at a disadvantage. He has asked his team to develop ideas to remedy this situation and create incentives for countries to lower their tariffs. The current system gives the U.S. no leverage and other countries no incentive."

But Walters signaled that we shouldn't take this bill as anything like a done deal. "The only way this would be news is if this were actual legislation that the administration was preparing to rollout, but it’s not," she said. "Principals have not even met to review any text of legislation on reciprocal trade."
Between the lines: Note the specificity of Walters' quote above. Trump directly requested this legislation and was verbally briefed on it in May. But he hasn't met with the principals to review the text.

Be smart: Congress is already concerned with how Trump has been using his trade authorities — just look at recent efforts by Republican Sens. Bob Corker and Pat Toomey (http://link.axios.com/click/13744021.30/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucG9saXRpY28uY29tL3N0b3J5LzIwMTgvMD YvMjYvYm9iLWNvcmtlci10YXJpZmYtdHJ1bXAtNjc0Mjc3P3V0 bV9zb3VyY2U9bmV3c2xldHRlciZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPWVtYWlsJn V0bV9jYW1wYWlnbj1zZW5kdG9fbmV3c2xldHRlcnRlc3Qmc3Ry ZWFtPXRvcA/586d9e571e560373298b467cBa384889b) and Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet (http://link.axios.com/click/13744021.30/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmVubmV0LnNlbmF0ZS5nb3YvcHVibGljL2 luZGV4LmNmbS8yMDE4LzYvZm9sbG93aW5nLWhlYXJpbmctd2l0 aC1jb21tZXJjZS1zZWNyZXRhcnktYmVubmV0LWludHJvZHVjZX MtYmlsbC10by1yZXZlcnNlLWhhcm1mdWwtdGFyaWZmcy1vbi1h bGxpZXM_dXRtX3NvdXJjZT1uZXdzbGV0dGVyJnV0bV9tZWRpdW 09ZW1haWwmdXRtX2NhbXBhaWduPXNlbmR0b19uZXdzbGV0dGVy dGVzdCZzdHJlYW09dG9w/586d9e571e560373298b467cB0d04c4f2) to roll back the president's steel and aluminum tariffs.

The bottom line: As a smart trade watcher told me: "The Trump administration should be more worried about not having their current authority restricted rather than expanding authority as this bill would do."

Not so much a presidency than one enormous troll job on the world

boutons_deux
07-02-2018, 04:56 AM
Not so much a presidency than one enormous troll job on the world

... Manchurian Candidate Trash is executing Pootin's foreign policy.

Blake
07-02-2018, 09:02 AM
It reads like an Onion piece

Pavlov
07-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Sounds like one of those traps for leakers now that I think about it

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 11:44 AM
^^^

:lmao Group therapy

Blake
07-02-2018, 11:48 AM
^^^

K, retard

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 12:07 PM
K, retard

Same ole cuckback.

Blake
07-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Same ole cuckback.

K, retard

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 12:12 PM
:cry I'm a cuck :cry

Pavlov
07-02-2018, 12:13 PM
^^^

Same ole cuckback.Do you support Trump's signature FART Act?

Reck
07-02-2018, 12:15 PM
^^^

You sound like Darrin more and more every day. You really dont have takes at all, do you?

You always avoid legit discussion for your retarded circular arguments that either end up in cuck or tranny or chumpette.

spurraider21
07-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Same ole cuckback.
same old verbal crutch

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 12:22 PM
same old verbal crutch

Okay, you tell me the non "crutch" response when you're beloved cuck argues, "k, retard" for the 200th time in five days.

boutons_deux
07-02-2018, 12:24 PM
How many Repugs will get behind Trash's FART?

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 12:24 PM
You sound like Darrin more and more every day. You really dont have takes at all, do you?

You always avoid legit discussion for your retarded circular arguments that either end up in cuck or tranny or chumpette.

Darrin (like everyone else) realizes that ya'll are just looking for something to cry about and aren't worried about the actual subject matter.

Blake
07-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Okay, you tell me the non "crutch" response when you're beloved cuck argues, "k, retard" for the 200th time in five days.

I'm not arguing that you're a retard. I'm flat calling you a retard.

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 12:53 PM
I'm not arguing that you're a retard. I'm flat calling you a retard.

It's a good thing you clarified that, cuck. :lmao

Blake
07-02-2018, 12:57 PM
It's a good thing you clarified that, cuck. :lmao

It's old coddling you here. I'd rather just lol at you, retard.

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 01:29 PM
It's old coddling you here. I'd rather just lol at you, retard.

Yea, I don't think you get what coddling is. Ask the chumpettes who suffer you. :lol

Blake
07-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Yea, I don't think you get what coddling is. Ask the chumpettes who suffer you. :lol

K, retard

Reck
07-02-2018, 01:44 PM

You suffer him by constantly taggin his name and replying to his posts. It's time for you to quit him.

Blake
07-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Spurtacular
07-02-2018, 04:17 PM
You suffer him...

Blake
07-02-2018, 04:27 PM
K, retard

boutons_deux
07-02-2018, 04:46 PM

Will the repugs push hard to get this turd passed?

Blake
07-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Will the repugs push hard to get this turd passed?

:lol

Chucho
07-02-2018, 04:53 PM
You suffer him by constantly taggin his name and replying to his posts. It's time for you to quit him.

LOL, he's trying out his new words again. You know he's been reading thro Merriam or Webster's sites when he uses words in ways no one has used them in nearly a century. I'm surprised he was correct in his usage this time.

Pavlov
07-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Will the repugs push hard to get this turd passed?Funnier than Borowitz.

Reck
07-02-2018, 05:30 PM
LOL, he's trying out his new words again. You know he's been reading thro Merriam or Webster's sites when he uses words in ways no one has used them in nearly a century. I'm surprised he was correct in his usage this time.

Is all about dat yahoo answers with him for sure. :lol

RandomGuy
07-02-2018, 05:45 PM

It is a cry for attention, and one that puzzles me as to why.

I wonder if deep down, he knows he is fucked up, and wants some contact with someone who will attempt to set him straight.

RandomGuy
07-02-2018, 05:46 PM

My wife has their app. The word of the day is kind of a fun way to wake up to.

RandomGuy
07-02-2018, 05:56 PM
Sounds like one of those traps for leakers now that I think about it

Trump’s Ineptitude Is No Joke

On that last point, political scientist Brendan Nyhan made the crucial point: There are actually two perfectly plausible explanations[:]
The ridiculous title could be just another sign of an administration that routinely botches basic tasks; after all, official White House communications have been plagued by typos ever since Trump took office, and just a few days ago a prankster claiming to be New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez managed to get a call through to the president.
But it’s equally possible it was a malicious effort to undermine the policy by someone in the White House or an executive-branch agency; all administrations leak, but none before this have leaked so often with information that looked this bad for the president.

So to summarize: The president ordered something inept; he’s not going to get what he wanted; and everyone in the administration has egg on their faces over it.

What’s even more amazing about this is that Trump seems to be oblivious to all of it. For all we know, he really thinks that North Korea is giving up its nuclear weapons (it isn’t), the border wall is under construction (nope), and that he’s going to get his Space Force (seems extremely unlikely, even if Trump thinks wars against the Pentagon bureaucracy are good and easy to win).

He remains such a weak president that he has to select a Supreme Court nominee from a list supplied by an interest group. But he doesn’t appear to realize it — and he certainly isn’t demonstrating any ability to change the situation. Meanwhile, he’ll just keep ordering people to do things that (most of the time at least) will never happen, while the few competent people he’s somehow managed to put in place will continue to do things in his name whether he likes it or not. I could add a fart joke, but the whole thing really isn’t very funny.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-07-02/donald-trump-s-ineptitude-is-no-joke