PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Tony Parker May Start to Look Elsewhere

Amuseddaysleeper
07-04-2018, 05:22 PM
https://hoopshype.com/storyline/tony-parker-free-agency/

Adrian Wojnarowski: “Tony Parker’s gonna be an interesting [free agency] because they’re trying to figure out in San Antonio what they’re doing. Can he sit around and wait for that? There is some money – Charlotte’s got some interest in him, think Denver might have a little interest. Denver is looking for a backup point guard so that might be a veteran-minimum guy, but Charlotte has an exception and James Borrego, the new Hornets coach, coached him with the Spurs. And there’s others. There isn’t a team in the league who wouldn’t love to have Tony as a backup.”

dbestpro
07-04-2018, 05:26 PM
He can always go to Europe or China.

Stabula
07-04-2018, 05:29 PM
He'll probably stay

Mr. Body
07-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Woj hitting the hornets nest.

Dverde
07-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Must be strange for him. He probably thought they’d be more interest.

Hoops Czar
07-04-2018, 05:49 PM

Adrian Wojnarowski: “Tony Parker’s gonna be an interesting [free agency] because they’re trying to figure out in San Antonio what they’re doing. Can he sit around and wait for that? There is some money – Charlotte’s got some interest in him, think Denver might have a little interest. Denver is looking for a backup point guard so that might be a veteran-minimum guy, but Charlotte has an exception and James Borrego, the new Hornets coach, coached him with the Spurs. And there’s others. There isn’t a team in the league who wouldn’t love to have Tony as a backup.”
I can think of at least one.

picnroll
07-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Maybe Parker can mentor Leonard on how to rehab a hamstring.

tonight...you
07-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Whatever. Go somewhere, or stay - just to keep needling Kawhi while he's here. I don't really care. White and Murray are the Guards now.

Vic Petro
07-04-2018, 05:59 PM
:flypig

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Makes you realize how crazy it was that Manu could command a 14 mil/year contract at the same point of his career:wow

Ron Swanson
07-04-2018, 06:11 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/idgas.gif

tonight...you
07-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Makes you realize how crazy it was that Manu could command a 14 mil contract at the same point of his career:wow
Maybe not that crazy, ay? TP is an afterthought now while Manu continues to impact games in a meaningful way.

objective
07-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Surprised there hasn't been interest from the Knicks to mentor Ntilikina.

tonight...you
07-04-2018, 06:14 PM
It's the Knicks. They do nothing smart. They've done nothing smart in decades. They got lucky with Porzingis and not even that lucky.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2018, 06:15 PM

Trey Burke was the bright spot of their sad season for a month or 2, doubt they want to move away from him:lol

gambit1990
07-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Maybe not that crazy, ay? TP is an afterthought now while Manu continues to impact games in a meaningful way.
:tu

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Would love to see him finish his career with the Nuggets and away from this sinking ship.

Jokic/Plumlee
Millsap/Lyles
Porter Jr
Harris Jr/Barton
Murray/Parker

Much better team than Belinelli and scrubs who can't shoot

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Makes you realize how crazy it was that Manu could command a 14 mil/year contract at the same point of his career:wow
Not really :lol

Sixers were trying to tank and they had tons of cap space. Teams were throwing around money then.

urunobili
07-04-2018, 06:25 PM
The key to swing Kawhi back?

ElNono
07-04-2018, 06:31 PM
As long as the Spurs are not in the list of interested teams, we're good, tbh, imvho

ducks
07-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Makes you realize how crazy it was that Manu could command a 14 mil/year contract at the same point of his career:wowspurs should have called manus bluff

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2018, 06:36 PM
MVParker getting interest in free agency at Age 35, while Manu was turning over the ball 14 times in Finals elimination games at the exact same age, tbh.... :wow

After his 17th season in the league too, not 11th.

DMC
07-04-2018, 06:37 PM
I can think of at least one.

:lol

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-04-2018, 06:39 PM
ok woj

tonight...you
MVParker getting interest in free agency at Age 35, while Manu was turning over the ball 14 times in Finals elimination games at the exact same age, tbh.... :wow

DMC
Makes you realize how crazy it was that Manu could command a 14 mil/year contract at the same point of his career:wow:stirpot:

SAGirl
07-04-2018, 06:40 PM
He has been looking around bc he still wants to get a multi year deal in the vicinity of 6-7 million for at least a couple of years. The Spurs will offer him a vet minimum or something around there.

cd98
07-04-2018, 06:41 PM

Not apples to apples. Tony is coming off a bad injury and his game is heavily impacted by his loss of speed.

Manu was healthy and his game is not predicated on speed. Wings play longer than PGs in this league. Parker has actually been good for a PG in terms of durability.

DMC
07-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Not apples to apples. Tony is coming off a bad injury and his game is heavily impacted by his loss of speed.

Manu was healthy and his game is not predicated on speed. Wings play longer than PGs in this league. Parker has actually been good for a PG in terms of durability.

:fishing

Down Under
07-04-2018, 06:52 PM
If Manu retires, TP plays a mentor role without any minutes & Forbes is gone. I'd be stoked. Dejounte will play big minutes as per last year, but White & Walker need to be thrown out there & hopefully Pop does this knowing he can't win another championship.

Hoops Czar
07-04-2018, 07:17 PM

Harlem's trolling.

Manu was a bench player that played 26, 859 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game twice in his career. Tony Parker played 37, 276 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game 11 times in his carrer. That's an equivalent of 5 added seasons. He's also acrued an additional 1500+ extra play off minutes. Of course he's worn down, the Spurs ran him into the ground. So when people say he looks like 34 going on 40, it's because mileage wise, he is.

Oh what might have been had be been granted the gift of coming off the bench for his entire career.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2018, 07:18 PM
:lol these sensitive Parker fans..

Nobody was bashing Parker, I was just appreciating the fact that Manu got a 14 million offer at his age, it's something rarely seen in the history of sports..

daslicer
07-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Harlem's trolling.

Manu was a bench player that played 26, 859 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game twice in his career. Tony Parker played 37, 276 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game 11 times in his carrer. That's an equivalent of 5 added seasons. He's also acrued an additional 1500+ extra play off minutes. Of course he's worn down, the Spurs ran him into the ground. So when people he looks like 34 going on 40, it's because mileage wise, he is.

Oh what might have been had be been granted the gift of coming off the bench for his entire career.

:lmao

gambit1990
07-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Manu was a bench player that played 26, 859 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game twice in his career. Tony Parker played 37, 276 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game 11 times in his carrer. That's an equivalent of 5 added seasons. He's also acrued an additional 1500+ extra play off minutes. Of course he's worn down, the Spurs ran him into the ground. So when people he looks like 34 going on 40, it's because mileage wise, he is.

manu played defense. which means he had to work on both sides of the court.

tholdren
07-04-2018, 07:23 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/idgas.gif

John B
07-04-2018, 07:26 PM
i hope he doesn’t expect much. hate to see him go because of money. i think he’ll be FO soon

Hoops Czar
07-04-2018, 07:36 PM
manu played defense. which means he had to work on both sides of the court.

Tony Parker was an average defender in his prime. There wasn't much he could do at 6'2", players could just shoot over the top of him.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-04-2018, 08:33 PM
If Manu retires, TP plays a mentor role without any minutes & Forbes is gone. I'd be stoked. Dejounte will play big minutes as per last year, but White & Walker need to be thrown out there & hopefully Pop does this knowing he can't win another championship.

The "another championship" ship was sunk when TD retired.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Tony Parker was an average defender in his prime. There wasn't much he could do at 6'2", players could just shoot over the top of him.

Nonsense. Parker was roughly the same height as Gary Payton and Chauncey Billups, two of the best defensive PGs in NBA history.

Parker just didn't devote much time to defense. In his prime he was good at gambling and taking a picked pass the other way like Kawhi, but he was a liability in man coverage for sure. Teams like the Mavs purposely schemed to get either Dirk or Josh Howard matched up with Parker which they knew was an automatic two points or free throws.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Harlem's trolling.

Manu was a bench player that played 26, 859 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game twice in his career. Tony Parker played 37, 276 minutes and averaged over 30 min/game 11 times in his carrer. That's an equivalent of 5 added seasons. He's also acrued an additional 1500+ extra play off minutes. Of course he's worn down, the Spurs ran him into the ground. So when people say he looks like 34 going on 40, it's because mileage wise, he is.

By that math, how old is LeBron? 45? fifty?

bdictjames
07-04-2018, 09:19 PM
People must have forgotten how Tony got the task of guarding Nash or Paul in their primes, and outplaying them, tbh. He did the best he could on defense, and was by no means a bad defender.

Spurs9
07-04-2018, 09:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

davi78239
07-04-2018, 09:53 PM
I bet he's a spur again by next week sometime or sooner

Spurtacular
07-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Tony Parker made 10 threes in 55 games. That's one ever five and a half games. That's probably the one aspect of his game he really should've been improving on at this point in his career. He wasn't even good for the corner three for all those times he stood there on nearly every possession.

tmtcsc
07-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Adrian Wojnarowski: “There isn’t a team in the league who wouldn’t love to have Tony as a backup.”

Pop after Tp's agent says he's going to explore other offers:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/1pqCbblfldkJ2/giphy.gif

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Harlem's trolling.

:wow

DAF86
07-04-2018, 11:07 PM
I'm torn about this. One one hand, Tony has no business being a rotation player in the NBA anymore; but on the other, he deserves to end his career as a Spur. I hope he would take the minimum to be the third string PG, or would just retire.

Snaq O'Meal
07-04-2018, 11:30 PM
People must have forgotten how Tony got the task of guarding Nash or Paul in their primes, and outplaying them, tbh. He did the best he could on defense, and was by no means a bad defender.

Actually, the Spurs had some guy named Bruce Bowen to guard those stud PGs.

Keepin' it real
07-04-2018, 11:51 PM
He probably thought they’d be more interest.

If so, he should pop in a VHS tape of his games last year.

Chinook
07-05-2018, 12:02 AM

Nope. It was Tony. Bowen got blasted by Nash and was checking Peja in 2008. Tony did a good job on D even as late 2014 where he had a really strong series against Westbrook.

J_Paco
07-05-2018, 12:07 AM

Tony is 36 not 35......

And he's completely washed up but maybe, just maybe a new situation could reinvigorate him for one more season.

J_Paco
07-05-2018, 12:18 AM
Nonsense. Parker was roughly the same height as Gary Payton and Chauncey Billups, two of the best defensive PGs in NBA history.

Parker just didn't devote much time to defense. In his prime he was good at gambling and taking a picked pass the other way like Kawhi, but he was a liability in man coverage for sure. Teams like the Mavs purposely schemed to get either Dirk or Josh Howard matched up with Parker which they knew was an automatic two points or free throws.

You continually come with the stupidest takes.

Of course a 7' PF and 6'7" or 6'8" SF is gonna score on a fucking 6'2" PG "everytime," dumbass. He actually fought for position and played hard nosed defense when forced to switch.

And he would often get burned in the pick and roll (was poor at fighting through screens) but could hold his own one - on - one thanks to his great lateral quickness (that he used even better on offense).

On his best nights Tony was above average to good on defense but most often he was average. Which was okay since Duncan, Robinson, Ginobili & Bowen were all good to elite defenders.

His horrid defense has been an issue since he's moved into his 30's and the tail end of his career.

Not sure how I feel about possibly bring him back. I really think it is time to move on from him and Ginobili (which sucks to say) especially with all these young guards that need time, reps and experience to develop and improve.

ElNono
07-05-2018, 12:47 AM
His speed was his weapon, tbh, not his fault he aged... His shot is nothing to write home about and he's not really a guy crafty enough to get by...

It is what it is, tbh, father time is undefeated...

bdictjames
07-05-2018, 02:52 AM
I remember Bruce would only guard them in select situations, crucial situations, but Parker would be the one switched on to them for the majority of the game.

But my memory could fail me though, lol. But yeah I barely recall people abusing Tony Parker on defense, he usually played pretty good defense, especially when competition is tough.

cutewizard
07-05-2018, 03:39 AM

The intangibles of a Manu far outweigh the obvious. Incredible Manu.

cutewizard
07-05-2018, 03:42 AM
I'm torn about this. One one hand, Tony has no business being a rotation player in the NBA anymore; but on the other, he deserves to end his career as a Spur. I hope he would take the minimum to be the third string PG, or would just retire.

:bobo

SAGirl
07-05-2018, 08:32 AM
His speed was his weapon, tbh, not his fault he aged... His shot is nothing to write home about and he's not really a guy crafty enough to get by...

Wisdom.
Unfortunately science hasn't yet discovered how to turn us all into elves from Tolkien lore b4 Sauron got the ring. :lol

duncan2k5
07-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Get him TFOH

spursparker9
07-05-2018, 08:41 AM
TP had been on the decline since 2014.

SpursDynasty85
07-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Tbh. I would like one of TP or Manu back. Manu is first option.

bdictjames
07-05-2018, 09:30 AM
Wisdom.
Unfortunately science hasn't yet discovered how to turn us all into elves from Tolkien lore b4 Sauron got the ring. :lol
By Sauron you mean Bob Myers? :lol

dbreiden83080
07-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Why does he want to play? He will never start again and he will have to make next to nothing compared to what he is coming off of? Retire already..

dbestpro
07-05-2018, 09:45 AM
Why does he want to play? He will never start again and he will have to make next to nothing compared to what he is coming off of? Retire already..

I think Toronto would make sense for him. He also has a history with Chicago through his dad, I think. He could always sign with the Warriors...............

sammy
07-05-2018, 09:52 AM
TP is probably waiting to see what Spurs are going to do w/ the mute & how much money left! He wants to retire a Spur! He deserves that as he was instrumental in our winning four championships & is part of the big three!

NameLess Scrub
07-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Tony will probably take whatever they give him now, and collect a check from the Spurs for life doing whatever job they find for him after he retires.

BillMc
07-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Strangely enough in all his FA interviews with other clubs, he wants to meet the players' wives. No, idea why.

BillMc
07-05-2018, 10:04 AM
In all seriousness, I want Tony to retire a Spur. Whether that's now or in 3 seasons is up to him and the club, but don't want TP in another jersey.

look_at_g_shred
07-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Good Riddance

RD2191
07-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Strangely enough in all his FA interviews with other clubs, he wants to meet the players' wives. No, idea why.

Gagnrath
07-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Nope. It was Tony. Bowen got blasted by Nash and was checking Peja in 2008. Tony did a good job on D even as late 2014 where he had a really strong series against Westbrook.

Tony wasn't a complete failure on defense but was below average. Bowen got put on bigger guards, Hill was also a strongly preferred defender.

cutewizard
07-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Wisdom.

:bobo

cutewizard
07-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Sauron ========= Kawhis Uncle

Chinook
07-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Tony wasn't a complete failure on defense but was below average. Bowen got put on bigger guards, Hill was also a strongly preferred defender.

Parker did his job, especially in the early teens when I started tracking it. Bowen's versatility was massively overrated. He was good on wings and struggled on everyone else. Hill's ability to D-up was also overrated and a product of us fans not knowing any better. Dragic pretty much killed Georgie's Spurs career by himself in 2010

tmtcsc
07-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I wanted Parker gone years ago. He's just not good anymore and it has nothing to do with his injury. Coming back was remarkable and praiseworthy but dude had lost a step way before that. Manu has figured out a way to be an integral part of the team while navigating through the aches, pains and extended recovery time that comes from aging.

SAGirl
07-05-2018, 11:29 AM
By Sauron you mean Bob Myers? :lol
:lol I had to look up the name to see who you were referring to, but currently GM of the Warriors? He fits as Sauron indeed. :toast

SAGirl
07-05-2018, 11:31 AM

SAGirl
07-05-2018, 11:38 AM
In all seriousness, I want Tony to retire a Spur. Whether that's now or in 3 seasons is up to him and the club, but don't want TP in another jersey.
He's not positively impactful nowadays. In all honesty, he needs to retire, but Spurs can't control that if he gets a deal somewhere. He can still fiddle around for a couple of years in some mediocre tewm, in which he will get injured and look washed up most of the time while being a traffic come on D. Occasionally his jumpshot will be falling and he will have a good game. That happens for many roleplayers in the league. Even GLeague call ups have a scoring game here or there. Is that what he wants for himself? Then nobody is stopping him. He wants 7 mill a year for that.

SAGirl
07-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Sauron ========= Kawhis Uncle
Good analogy too. :lol

Mugen
07-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Please god sign with Denver or Charlotte.

NASpurs
07-05-2018, 11:52 AM
With Laurvegne leaving and this news, it's shaping up to be the best offseason in team's history.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-05-2018, 12:03 PM
With Laurvegne leaving and this news, it's shaping up to be the best offseason in team's history.

Outside of the franchise player leaving.

If Kawhi was to somehow stay and we could get rid of Parker/Anderson/Gasol/Mills it would be a dream offseason.

spurraider21
07-05-2018, 12:05 PM
parker signing elsewhere certainly wouldn't hurt the kawhi situation...

NASpurs
07-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Outside of the franchise player leaving.

If Kawhi was to somehow stay and we could get rid of Parker/Anderson/Gasol/Mills it would be a dream offseason.

Don't care what Kawhi does, it's already the best offseason with Lauvergne leaving in itself.

bdictjames
07-05-2018, 12:48 PM
:lol I had to look up the name to see who you were referring to, but currently GM of the Warriors? He fits as Sauron indeed. :toast
:lol :toast :lol

NASpurs
07-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Got this from reddit, Fathead posted this on his IG

https://imgur.com/iosHw6khttps://imgur.com/iosHw6k

https://i.imgur.com/iosHw6k.jpg

spurraider21
07-05-2018, 01:30 PM

does that mean he's staying or going

RD2191
07-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Slow mo looking for that starting spot :lol

SAGirl
07-05-2018, 01:41 PM

I think Kyle will be back. There's just no money out there and SAn Antonio will match a reasonable offer for him.
Edit: I
That picture doesn't have a date when it was posted... Hmmm

gambit1990
07-05-2018, 02:02 PM

does that mean they're both leaving? :lol

Snaq O'Meal
07-05-2018, 03:48 PM
Wisdom.

PATFO wants hobbits, not elves.

Buddy Mignon
07-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Maybe Parker can mentor Leonard on how to rehab a hamstring.

Or fuck his teammates wife?

DMC
07-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Harlem's trolling.

Doesn't even include all the hours he put in porking Brent's wife.

DMC
07-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Anyone else just want the fucker gone by now? I mean, if it's all bullshit and he says "It's all bullshit" that's fine, but I'd like to just say "k, thx, bye"

james evans
07-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Harlem's trolling.

but you’ve also got to add in that Parker couldn’t and sometimes never tried to play any defense his whole career. Defense AND offense wears you down more. Look at Gary Payton

BackHome
07-05-2018, 10:27 PM
I don't hate Tony like some people do I guess he screwed a lot of Spurs forums poster wives..lol..
But the time has come to hang it up the future is White and Murray.

lefty
07-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Woohoo

FireMicoHalili
07-06-2018, 01:25 AM
Bit surprising the Spurs haven’t rushed to re-sign him. They usually lock up the people familiar to the system. They prioritized signing Belinelli instead.

Othyus Lalanne
07-06-2018, 02:16 AM
Or fuck his teammates wife?
Team was fine afterwards so it was fucked right. He knows how to do it.

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2018, 04:26 AM
Anyone else just want the fucker gone by now? I mean, if it's all bullshit and he says "It's all bullshit" that's fine, but I'd like to just say "k, thx, bye"
Read the thread and find out instead of trying to be cute. Faggot.

YGWHI
07-06-2018, 07:54 AM
This about Parker's is the same about Manu and the Sixers last season...The Spurs will sign Parker as they re-signed Manu.

DMC
07-06-2018, 09:39 AM
Read the thread and find out instead of trying to be cute. Faggot.

Shut up Joe you fat piece of shit

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Shut up Joe you fat piece of shit
Don't know who Joe is, but I do know you shouldn't weight shame anyone on here fat hands

hater
07-06-2018, 09:56 AM
I will switch to any team Parker goes to as long as we start Cancerburger Mills

DMC
07-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Don't know who Joe is, but I do know you shouldn't weight shame anyone on here fat hands

Sure you don't know, Joe, low rent 3rd tier troll.

tmtcsc
07-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Well go on then...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/ac7MA7r5IMYda/giphy.gif

LkrFan
07-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Mitch stole TP:

I'm sure Manu gone next. End of an era. D Murray betta be ready tbh.

Rocalcio
07-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Mitch stole TP:

Wow... Schoking...

siraulo23
07-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Win win for both sides ^

BillMc
07-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Sad day. Even if there's no place on the roster for Tony, one of the Spurs all-time greats will be in another uniform next year.

DAF86
07-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Mitch stole TP:

Damn, never thought this day would come.

look_at_g_shred
07-06-2018, 03:40 PM
Good Riddance

UNT Eagles 2016
07-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Correct. He's not an Andre Miller, Darrell Armstrong, Sam Cassell, Stockton or even Chauncey type to be able to be very effective up to 40 and higher because those guys had the "junk" in their game that Parker never has had; they could score in various other ways besides just beating their man to the basket, plus they were all pass first PGs for the most part as well.

therealtruth
07-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Got to collect those checks.

gambit1990
07-06-2018, 08:36 PM
does that mean they're both leaving? :lol
both left the team the next day.

Kawhitstorm
07-06-2018, 08:47 PM

...you mean the series the Spurs won b/c Porker stayed in the locker room. :sleep

Chinook
07-06-2018, 09:14 PM
...you mean the series the Spurs won b/c Porker stayed in the locker room. :sleep

Same series where SA had won three of five with Tony starting and playing a big role

Kawhitstorm
07-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Same series where SA had won five of five with Tony starting and playing a big role

I stopped reading at 5 of 5......goodnight