PDA

View Full Version : Too early for a silver lining???

raybies
07-05-2018, 10:12 PM
For years the disdain for the organization has been very evident here. Many posters here have expressed there strong feelings against PATFO and while some had some merit others were kind of ridiculous to say the least. Any how, as the struggle tends to do I have noticed how this has almost wholeheartedly brought the majority of the fan base together.

I'm not gonna speak for everyone but I'm proud of how the Spurs have handled this situation thus far. A lot of lesser orgs would have folded by now. And now PATFO is taking the gloves off in a Rocky V like brawl in the streets. I don't know how this is gonna end but I sense a lot more respect for our org now going thru this. Everyone is looking to see how the model franchise is gonna handle this. Most don't realize but however the Spurs handle this really will be the model going forward. And while some are looking to take anything to get this over with, PATFO remains steadfast and patient.

Now for some theories about the current strategy....

IMO They are intent on playing the long game. By putting all the cards on the table they are attempting to see who's got the best hand. Simple poker tactics in a high stakes match. They are putting the pressure on Uncle to call, which we all can safely assume he's been bluffing thus far. If he calls and doesn't have the better hand, whatever rep his group had will take a severe hit. The backlash will be intense wherever he goes and they will have lost respect all throughout the league which has endorsement reprocussions as well marketing sabotage. As for the Spurs they will have alleviated the only card they(Kawhi's Group) had which was the victim card. When people realize it was just a stunt it may have one of few affects. For example PATFO would've gained the leverage to threaten "We'll see you in camp." With no protection and players required to be made available to the media, there will be a field day around him. That's a lot of tough questions and no one is gonna protect him. He can talk or the fines start. Most know in politics the tough questions can make you break. That's a whole lot of pressure for someone who's not well built to handle that kind of scrutiny. So in this scenario Spurs gain leverage. Open your demands or face the music. I really feel Kawhi's group is in over their heads... Another affect is for him to save face come clean and resign, similar to Aldridge. LMA rebuilt his rep throughout the league for working it out and establishing himself as one of the best players in the league. ALL NBA... I think once Uncle Dennis realized what's really about to happen he'll advise Kawhi to be open minded about his move or resigning for the Super or somewhere near it to save face would be in his best interest. I just don't see them wanting to make it to come to camp at any cost. They save themselves a lot by avoiding that scenario.

Anyway interested in seeing what the next twist is but I trust our brain trust.

Das Texan
07-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Silver Lining:

Spurs dont spend 200 million on this fuck?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-05-2018, 10:16 PM
lotsa words there

SAGirl
07-05-2018, 10:17 PM
I don't know if there is any silver lining in this. We shall see. It's not pretty and it may get uglier.

Mr. Body
07-05-2018, 10:21 PM
For a comparison, look at the Lakers. Just drifting inn circles for years, they sign LeBron and proceed to sign a bunch of weirdos for no apparent reason. They look like they will blow getting Kawhi Leonard like they blew getting Paul George. They have no plan, their leaked FA pitches look terrible. They don't seem to realize LeBron isn't there to compete, he's there to semi-retire. Just a happy mess.

gospursgojas
07-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Can someone summerize? Thanks.

ohmwrecker
07-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Who cares? Just get whatever you can for that mouthbreather goon and be done with it.

cjw
07-05-2018, 10:23 PM

vy65
07-05-2018, 10:26 PM
There’s no silver lining to losing a superstar. Spurs lose and, from the stories coming out, Kawhi is going to suffer too.

That said, the front office is handling an un-winnable situation as perfectly as you could. Problem is, there’s no happy ending to this story. So in the end, however great PATFO acquits itself doesn’t matter.

Mr. Body
07-05-2018, 10:52 PM
There’s no silver lining to losing a superstar. Spurs lose and, from the stories coming out, Kawhi is going to suffer too.

That said, the front office is handling an un-winnable situation as perfectly as you could. Problem is, there’s no happy ending to this story. So in the end, however great PATFO acquits itself doesn’t matter.

The happy ending is that Pop gets to Kawhi and he resigns and returns to normal. We lost a year and that sucks, but whatever.

tholdren
07-05-2018, 10:59 PM
Espn says trade the house and build around murray...... could you imagine a team with its star being murray? Im uncertain i would know how bad that team would be... certainly worse than kyrie only cavs

tholdren
07-05-2018, 10:59 PM
The happy ending is that Pop gets to Kawhi and he resigns and returns to normal. We lost a year and that sucks, but whatever.

Worst poster since sagirl

pgardn
07-05-2018, 11:01 PM
KLs old agent filing suit against Impact Sports is gonna dredge up so much dirt.

Moving right along to other thoughts... How does Kawhi survive as an adult? He has been with the Spurs a while and no one figured out he is close to nonfunctional on his own. Somebody on the Spurs must have an evaluation, brain scan, or something that says no one is home. This inability to wipe was apparently not a joke.

tknapp
07-05-2018, 11:01 PM
Can’t cave to this bullcrap situation. You are correct - however the Spurs this will be the model for all responsibly run teams going forward.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2018, 11:16 PM
Competent representation for Leonard would have him in position to sign the supermax this summer as well as have a relationship with the front office so that both parties could coordinate on a trade if Leonard wanted out ultimately. It would also manage client expectation and knowledge of key dates related to the extension.

Only the Spurs can offer the supermax. Publicly demanding a trade prior to when this could be offered was just stupid. This is tens of millions put at risk, ignoring all the other dumb shit which preceded that.

The amount of wealth which could be vaporized for both the Spurs and Leonard is substantial due to this dumbass drama. Star players under contract enhance franchise values. It might be time for the league to intervene.

MultiTroll
07-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Weight loss for some as halftime burrito eating Spursfan may not be at game if Kawhi is not there?

raybies
07-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Competent representation for Leonard would have him in position to sign the supermax this summer as well as have a relationship with the front office so that both parties could coordinate on a trade if Leonard wanted out ultimately. It would also manage client expectation and knowledge of key dates related to the extension.

Only the Spurs can offer the supermax. Publicly demanding a trade prior to when this could be offered was just stupid. This is tens of millions put at risk, ignoring all the other dumb shit which preceded that.

The amount of wealth which could be vaporized for both the Spurs and Leonard is substantial due to this dumbass drama. Star players under contract enhance franchise values. It might be time for the league to intervene.
100%

Prereqs for being an qualified agent may need to be adjusted.. Just seems like any dude off the street who knows the right person can be one...

Keepin' it real
07-05-2018, 11:33 PM
Too early for a silver lining???

Yes!! Next question!
https://assets.forwardcdn.com/images/cropped/soup-nazi-1450802502.jpg

SnakeBoy
07-06-2018, 01:05 AM

Spurs are gonna force Kawhi into a sign and trade.

ElNono
07-06-2018, 01:26 AM
Spurs are gonna force Kawhi into a sign and trade.

sign and trades are kind of an extinct tool with the latest CBA. See: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/why-nba-sign-and-trades-are-rare.html

cutewizard
07-06-2018, 02:11 AM
For years the disdain for the organization has been very evident here. Many posters here have expressed there strong feelings against PATFO and while some had some merit others were kind of ridiculous to say the least. Any how, as the struggle tends to do I have noticed how this has almost wholeheartedly brought the majority of the fan base together.

I'm not gonna speak for everyone but I'm proud of how the Spurs have handled this situation thus far. A lot of lesser orgs would have folded by now. And now PATFO is taking the gloves off in a Rocky V like brawl in the streets. I don't know how this is gonna end but I sense a lot more respect for our org now going thru this. Everyone is looking to see how the model franchise is gonna handle this. Most don't realize but however the Spurs handle this really will be the model going forward. And while some are looking to take anything to get this over with, PATFO remains steadfast and patient.

Now for some theories about the current strategy....

IMO They are intent on playing the long game. By putting all the cards on the table they are attempting to see who's got the best hand. Simple poker tactics in a high stakes match. They are putting the pressure on Uncle to call, which we all can safely assume he's been bluffing thus far. If he calls and doesn't have the better hand, whatever rep his group had will take a severe hit. The backlash will be intense wherever he goes and they will have lost respect all throughout the league which has endorsement reprocussions as well marketing sabotage. As for the Spurs they will have alleviated the only card they(Kawhi's Group) had which was the victim card. When people realize it was just a stunt it may have one of few affects. For example PATFO would've gained the leverage to threaten "We'll see you in camp." With no protection and players required to be made available to the media, there will be a field day around him. That's a lot of tough questions and no one is gonna protect him. He can talk or the fines start. Most know in politics the tough questions can make you break. That's a whole lot of pressure for someone who's not well built to handle that kind of scrutiny. So in this scenario Spurs gain leverage. Open your demands or face the music. I really feel Kawhi's group is in over their heads... Another affect is for him to save face come clean and resign, similar to Aldridge. LMA rebuilt his rep throughout the league for working it out and establishing himself as one of the best players in the league. ALL NBA... I think once Uncle Dennis realized what's really about to happen he'll advise Kawhi to be open minded about his move or resigning for the Super or somewhere near it to save face would be in his best interest. I just don't see them wanting to make it to come to camp at any cost. They save themselves a lot by avoiding that scenario.

Anyway interested in seeing what the next twist is but I trust our brain trust.

Great post. Thank you.

cutewizard
07-06-2018, 02:15 AM

Sir, why has the NBA not spoken about this at all?? So silent

acoelho1
07-06-2018, 09:53 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if Uncle Dennis said to Kawhi that this strategy guarantees he gets traded to L.A. I don't think Uncle Dennis realizes that the Spurs are the best organization in sports and and if there is any team that can manage this situation, it's Pop and RC. It doesn't mean that there will be a happy ending but it does mean the Spurs will at least stretch this out until training camp where Pop will have more opportunity to connect with Leonard 1on1.

They will not rush since no trade will get you equal value so you hold on to him as long as possible. Perhaps as we approach the season, Uncle Dennis will blink and either Kawhi resigns or they open up the teams that they would be traded too. If he walks, they will look really incompetent after he signs as a free agent for less money instead of the supermax or being traded.

rascal
07-06-2018, 11:31 AM
The best options for trades are over as teams are putting out weaker offers or nothing at all.
PATFO should have been more aggressive in making a trade earlier but they were undecided if they even wanted to make a trade.

Now it is settling for less or not making a trade and losing KL next season.