PDA

View Full Version : Mayor: NFL owners would support Saints' move to S.A.

Shiner Bock Girl
10-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Mayor: NFL owners would support Saints' move to S.A.

Web Posted: 10/22/2005 12:20 AM CDT

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

Mayor Phil Hardberger predicted Friday that Tom Benson's fellow NFL owners would support him should he decide to bring the New Orleans Saints to San Antonio permanently.

In an interview in front of City Hall, Hardberger welcomed news that NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has formed an advisory committee of eight owners to serve as a sounding board for the league and Benson in making decisions about where the Saints will play after this season.

Benson would need the approval of 23 of the league's other 31 owners to move the Saints to San Antonio. Hardberger said he believes Benson has that backing.

"I would think there would be a natural tendency for one owner to back another owner because of the implications for themselves," Hardberger said. "And those implications are that a precedent will be set if the league tells (Benson) where he has to play.

"An owner should have certain control over where he wants his team to play."

Meanwhile, Benson said he has not made any decisions about the team's future and would not do so until after the 2005 season.

Benson's statement came one day after the San Antonio Express-News reported sources saying he plans to void the Saints' lease agreement with the Louisiana Superdome.

"There are many factors that will affect the future location of our team," Benson said. "However, that is also true of many other New Orleans-based companies that are faced with deciding their future homes."

Benson also distanced himself from Hardberger's assertion that negotiations between the city and the Saints for permanent relocation will begin after this season.

"There have been numerous media reports this week regarding the future of the New Orleans Saints franchise," Benson said. "No one who has been quoted in these recent stories about the Saints' future was authorized to speak on my behalf."

Benson moved the Saints' operations to San Antonio in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and the damage it did to the Superdome. The Saints' lease with the state of Louisiana runs through 2010, but the team can opt out of the contract after this season by paying $81 million.

But another provision, known as force majeure, which covers damage to the Superdome, allows the team to void the contract without penalty before a Nov. 29 deadline.

Hardberger said he believes Benson wants to permanently relocate the Saints to San Antonio, a move the mayor said is necessary because hurricane-ravaged New Orleans can no long support the Saints.

"Their population (is greatly) reduced," Hardberger said of New Orleans. "They had to cut half of their city employees. They have no tax base."

But Tagliabue has promised to assist in the rebuilding of the Gulf South, a plan that includes keeping the Saints in New Orleans. He is expected to talk to LSU officials later this month about the possibility of the Saints playing their home games in 2006 at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge.

The Saints, who have one game left on their three-game San Antonio schedule, will play four games this season at Tiger Stadium.

Team owners appointed to Tagliabue's New Orleans Saints Advisory Committee are Denver's Pat Bowlen, Kansas City's Lamar Hunt, New England's Robert Kraft, Philadelphia's Jeff Lurie, Chicago's Mike McCaskey, Carolina's Jerry Richardson, Pittsburgh's Dan Rooney and Jacksonville's Wayne Weaver.

It is not known whether the owners appointed to the committee share Tagliabue's belief that San Antonio is not a viable NFL market. Tagliabue said recently the league wants to only move up in market size and called San Antonio a "small market."

"The NFL commissioner is clearly a force to be contended with," Hardberger said. "But I would guess if two-thirds of the owners approved a Saints' move to San Antonio, (Tagliabue) would honor those rules."

Hardberger said he is in no rush to negotiate face-to-face with Benson.

"He told me, and I agreed, that there would be no serious discussions until after the season," Hardberger said.

When they do talk, Hardberger said he might ask the Saints to help pay for proposed upgrades to the Alamodome, a project he said could cost $50 million.

Hardberger also dismissed criticism from Louisiana state officials and others that San Antonio is being insensitive to victims of Katrina by talking to Benson.

Two days ago, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin said talk of moving the Saints in the wake of Hurricane Katrina was "disrespectful" to the team's fans.

"My only response is that there have been discussions with Benson for more than a year now," Hardberger said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/football/nfl/stories/MYSA102205.1C.FBNsaints.hardberger.2237ba78.html
[email protected]

samikeyp
10-22-2005, 07:50 AM
I can think of two that wouldn't. I wonder if the owners are as adamant about getting a team in LA as the commish is.

blaze89
10-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Why is it that Hardberger is coming out every other day with some sort ot statement regarding this issue? At times repeating the same statements made previously. I think he's become Benson's mouthpiece and with Benson coming out publicly that he has no San Antonio plans "Benson says he has no San Antonio plans (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoDVWM6rCqR7VMNp0f52HaI5nYcB?slug=ap-saints-neworleans&prov=ap&type=lgns)", I'm thinking that we are getting played.

I know Hardberger is no dummy but Hardberger is in a no-lose situation here, if he brings in the Saints, great! If the Saints don't come to San Antonio, Hardberger will still be seen in a positive light cause he would have done more to try to bring the NFL to San Antonio than any of the other mayor since Cisneros and Wolff.

exstatic
10-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Benson is certainly playing his cards close to the vest. He's not really saying much, so I'm getting information from what he's doing.

1. He fired the information leaker and N.O. advocate.
2. He's trying to get out of his Metaire practice facility lease.
3. All indications are that he will invoke the Force Majeur clause. Stay tuned.

SA210
10-22-2005, 09:48 AM
I give the mayor major props. We finally have a mayor with some cajones.

my2sons
10-22-2005, 10:44 AM
of course we coul always bring back our pro soccer mayor

SA210
10-22-2005, 11:07 AM
^^^ oh heck no, by the way,

Is there anything that Garza did for SA , really?

samikeyp
10-22-2005, 11:24 AM
of course we coul always bring back our pro soccer mayor

AAAAAAAAHHH!!! You said the "S" word! :lol

Marcus Bryant
10-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Since speculation is the art of this forum....

Mayor Hamburger is obviously speaking with Benson frequently. Perhaps Benson already knows where most of the owners and the league really stand on a relocation to SA. If Hamburger is basing his comments on that, then great for San Antonio de Bexar.

John T
10-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Two comments stood out to me.

"There have been numerous media reports this week regarding the future of the New Orleans Saints franchise," Benson said. "No one who has been quoted in these recent stories about the Saints' future was authorized to speak on my behalf."

Just speculation of course, but I wonder if Hardberger is pissing him off by making all of this so public. Or, if he's just covering his butt.

"My only response is that there have been discussions with Benson for more than a year now," Hardberger said.

Assuming this is true, I hope it gets a lot of media attention.

Carie

clubalien
10-22-2005, 12:41 PM
to be fair at the time the previous person was the mayor we didn't have a hurrican to cause the saints to come here permantly

blaze89
10-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Since speculation is the art of this forum....

Mayor Hamburger is obviously speaking with Benson frequently. Perhaps Benson already knows where most of the owners and the league really stand on a relocation to SA. If Hamburger is basing his comments on that, then great for San Antonio de Bexar.

Perhaps but Benson is also looking out for his best interests and with certain members of government willing to sign a blank check, I'm still on the side that San Antonio de Bexar is being played.

I would feel alot better of Hardberger just kept quiet on the issue, cause the more this is made public, I feel, the more likely the NFL won't come here. When the Raiders left Oakland and Los Angeles, it was more of a surprise, hell the move of the Browns to Baltimore was more like an earthquake shock.

Vashner
10-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I think Hamburger should hook up with the Mayor of Mexico city..

Setup a pre season and a regular season game there. (for SA's NFL team as a joint $$$ venture). And for merchandise sales and TV market to Mexico.

Now remember Tag wants more of that Mexican cash.....

Then you give us an expansion team and we hire most of saints. Then give Nagin
his thing back. And ours will be Black Gold and Silver something.

BINGO .. Instant Mega Market for Tagleeabugarab.

SA210
10-22-2005, 06:18 PM
^^^^ I like the Mexico idea.

MannyIsGod
10-23-2005, 05:01 AM
The Mexico idea is pretty much genius. I think that would be something worth pursuing.

However, Bensons inability to come out and commit to say anything about this in the general public makes me wonder if he's playing us. I really wish the mayor would back down a bit. If he has private talks with Benson that are turning out well, there is no need to put it on display over the media.

But to me, it almost seems as though he's trying to force Benson's hand. I don't like that strategy one bit. It makes me wonder just what he thinks he can accomplish by doing that.

Shiner Bock Girl
10-23-2005, 08:52 AM
The Mexico idea is pretty much genius. I think that would be something worth pursuing.

However, Bensons inability to come out and commit to say anything about this in the general public makes me wonder if he's playing us. I really wish the mayor would back down a bit. If he has private talks with Benson that are turning out well, there is no need to put it on display over the media.

But to me, it almost seems as though he's trying to force Benson's hand. I don't like that strategy one bit. It makes me wonder just what he thinks he can accomplish by doing that.

Actually Benson did not say he was or wasn't bringing the Saints to SA, only that he will not be making a decision till after the football season...Everyone else is speculating between SA and NOLA....Sounds more like a battle of the Mayors...But our Mayor really needs to keep his mouth shut on these speculations if he does not have any hard facts, as well as Nagin....Whether Benson would like to move to SA or not, theres too much up in the air right now such as can he get out of the stadium contract?? Will he be able to prove the practice facility is not usable?? Will other businesses come back to LA?? I believe hes being honest about what he's saying, but both Mayors are the ones starting all this speculating....He already summed it up in a nutshell, He's not making any decisions till AFTER football season....

Mark in Austin
10-23-2005, 09:12 AM
When they do talk, Hardberger said he might ask the Saints to help pay for proposed upgrades to the Alamodome, a project he said could cost $50 million.

Hmmm... this seems awfully low given the city's own study pushed 150 million in Dome improvements and another 50 million or so for a practice facility and other misc. improvements.

I hope there's been a new study done, because if this is just Hardberger fudging numbers to keep the public in favor of a deal, I'll lose a lot of respect for the man.

MannyIsGod
10-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Mike, its my understanding they think they first study was way higher than it should have been because of the speed it was conducted under. They basically don't trust it.

Whether thats wishfull thinking I don't know.