PDA

View Full Version : Fan-favorite Rose returns home to face Spurs, friends

ploto
10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Fan-favorite Rose returns home to face Spurs, friends

Web Posted: 10/22/2005 12:20 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Of the hundreds of trips Malik Rose made to the SBC Center over 2 1/2 seasons, only once did he visit the visitors' locker room. After Michael Jordan's last game in San Antonio, Rose stopped by to get his autograph.

"I actually don't even know where the visitors' locker room is," Rose said. "It's going to be real weird going in there, I know that."

While the simple accommodations the SBC Center offers opposing teams require only a three-minute walk from the Spurs' plush locker room and lounge where Rose once dressed, they might as well as be separated by 1,600 miles. Not since Feb. 23, the night before the Spurs traded him to New York, has Rose played in the arena where he won his second NBA championship.

"I'm excited and nervous," Rose said of his return for tonight's exhibition between the Spurs and Knicks. "Not nervous like it's a playoff game, but nervous because I'm coming home."

Despite the trade, Rose has only strengthened his ties to San Antonio. He continues to make the city his off-season home while his mother and siblings live here year-round. In July, he opened his second cheesesteak restaurant.

Rose didn't attend any of the Spurs' playoff games, but he watched the team's overtime victory over Detroit in Game 5 of the NBA Finals on TV.

When the Spurs clinched the championship, he was at home, listening to his neighbors scream and honk their car horns in celebration.

"I was proud of those guys," Rose said. "I know how hard they had to work to win it. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to be there with them. I wanted to be there so bad.

"It was frustrating to think I was maybe only four hours from being a part of it."

The Spurs reached a deal with New York to swap Rose and a pair of first-round draft picks for Nazr Mohammed a few hours before last season's trade deadline.

Hundreds of fans called local talk shows, as well as the team, to complain. Others hung letters of support outside the windows of Rose's restaurant.

Rose's teammates also weren't happy about the deal. During Rose's 71/2 seasons with the Spurs, his hustle and sharp wit made him as well liked in the team's locker room as he was outside it.

"I didn't think it was the right move," Tim Duncan said. "One, for the fact I didn't think it was making us any better; and two, for the fact we were trading my best friend.

"It's worked out well, and although I miss Malik on a daily basis here, Nazr has been good for us. Credit the front office for that. We moved on."

In addition to acquiring a center to spell Rasho Nesterovic, the trade made sense financially. Rose still had four years and almost $30 million remaining on his contract. Mohammed's deal expires at the end of this season.

And while Rose and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich remained friendly off the court, their disagreements on it had taxed their relationship.

"Trading Malik was probably the hardest thing I've done since I've been here," said Popovich, who did not consult Duncan before making the deal. "He was intertwined with the fabric of the team so much. He's a highly intelligent player, a leader in the locker room, somebody everybody respected.

"So we worried a great deal about the chemistry and the emotion of the team, and how they would react."

The Spurs eventually overcame their disappointment. Rose, too, has done his best to move forward. So far, he's enjoyed his first training camp under new Knicks coach Larry Brown.

"I'm just trying to have fun," said Rose, who has played sparingly in the preseason. "Basketball hasn't been that fun for me the past two years."

Rose is happy with the rest of his life, as well. He still talks a handful of times each week with Duncan and also remains good friends with Bruce Bowen.

His restaurants continue to turn a profit. His two championship rings, stolen from his house at the end of last season, were recovered. He wouldn't comment publicly on the lawsuit his former stepfather recently filed against him — the result of a fight between the two last spring — but is confident the outcome will be in his favor.

And while Rose still misses his former teammates and fans, he's accepted the trade — and his future.

"I've definitely embraced my identity as a Knick," he said. "Some of the best times of my life were with the Spurs, and I'll never forget those memories. But now I'm trying to make new memories in New York."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102205.1C.BKNspurs.rose.224f835b.html

I highlighted a few comments to remind some people of the facts from the time. Tim was not consulted about this trade. I have heard many people assume Tim Ok'd it, but he didn't. I noticed the mention about Nazr's contract expiring at the end of the season, and the salary relief, which seems to be more the way things are headed with Nazr. Which was, by the way, Plan A when the trade went down. Nazr would be here a little over a year and his contract would expire sooner than Malik's would have.

Old School Chic
10-22-2005, 09:17 AM
I think Spurschick posted a similar article earlier...

Either way, I will post on this one and say that Malik Rose deserves the best!

He's a great guy on and off the court... Maybe, one day will see him In a Spurs uniform again.

angel_luv
10-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Welcome home Malik! I've missed you. = )

Ginofan
10-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Is anyone else going to be at the game tonight?

angel_luv
10-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Is anyone else going to be at the game tonight?

Where are you sitting?

Ginofan
10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Somewhere in the 200s I believe, a friend has my ticket. But I was wondering if anyone would be meeting up at Headliners at halftime.

spurschick
10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Manny and I will be there - sec 123

Ginofan
10-22-2005, 09:57 AM
So you want to meet up? I'm gonna be with Misti, I'm sure she would like to meet you guys.

Mr_MVP21
10-22-2005, 09:58 AM
will they televise the game?

spurschick
10-22-2005, 09:59 AM
will they televise the game?

I don't think so :depressed

Mr_MVP21
10-22-2005, 10:00 AM
damn

spurschick
10-22-2005, 10:00 AM
So you want to meet up? I'm gonna be with Misti, I'm sure she would like to meet you guys.

Headlines at halftime

angel_luv
10-22-2005, 10:24 AM
"I actually don't even know where the visitors' locker room is," Rose said. "It's going to be real weird going in there, I know that."

I wonder if Malik will be okay with someone already having his old number. Even though Nick is justified, I can see it feeling at least a little bit wrong.

Ishta
10-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Welcome Home Malik!!

AlamoSpursFan
10-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Of the hundreds of trips Malik Rose made to the SBC Center over 2 1/2 seasons, only once did he visit the visitors' locker room. After Michael Jordan's last game in San Antonio, Rose stopped by to get his autograph.

Umm...he probably didn't get it then, because Michael Jordan's last game in San Antonio was at the Alamodome.

:lol

Marcus Bryant
10-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Actually, he probably did.

angel_luv
10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
It was so good to see Malik but it made my heart ache too. I really miss him.

Pistons < Spurs
10-22-2005, 10:06 PM
LOL

angel_luv
10-22-2005, 10:18 PM
= )

spurs=bling
10-22-2005, 10:20 PM
I'll i have to say is good job Malik.

John T
10-23-2005, 12:01 AM
It was good to see him on the floor again, though weird for him not to be in a Spurs jersey. Loved it when he was giving Tim grief about his hair :) I think he warmed up for all of about 4 minutes, the rest of the time was spent talking to the guys.

Carie

spurs=bling
10-23-2005, 12:04 AM
It was so good to see Malik but it made my heart ache too. I really miss him.

i get that feeling too :depressed

ggoose25
10-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Umm...he probably didn't get it then, because Michael Jordan's last game in San Antonio was at the Alamodome.

:lol

no it wasnt. you're forgetting his little tryst with the wizards. i actually went to his last game in san antonio at the SBC center and he looked like a broken down old shell of the great player he once was

AlamoSpursFan
10-23-2005, 12:38 AM
No, I wasn't. He played in the SBC with the Wizards? I thought his "last game" was the one in the Alamodome where he was injured and didn't play. The one where the Coyote delivered him a pizza on the bench.

That wasn't his "last game" here?

MannyIsGod
10-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Jordan played in the SBC center as a Wizard in 2003. Or he was at least a member of team, I don't know if he actually played.

AlamoSpursFan
10-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Well...I sit corrected. I was under the impression that the game they billed as Michael Jordan's last game in San Antonio that I bought tickets to and sat in the nose bleed of the Alamodome to see MJ walk out in a suit and sit on the bench and get a pizza delivered by a rollerskating Coyote, was in fact his last game here.

KEDA
10-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Jordan played, I was there.

The ONLY time I have worn another teams jersey (Wizards 23) to the SBC center.

I still have my ticket!

Vashner
10-23-2005, 10:11 AM
I remember the Last time Jordan Played with the Bulls at the Alamodome.
34-35 there that night it was loud. Also remember David stuffing (blocking) Jordan that last year the Hemisphere was running..