PDA

View Full Version : Davis Bertans re-signs, 4 years, $20 million (Unconfirmed)

Pages : [1] 2 3

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 07:35 AM
So, like, half the contract of Kyle Anderson for less than half the player.

lmbebo
07-09-2018, 07:37 AM
odd ... but ok

Fireball
07-09-2018, 07:37 AM
I like it ...

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Waiting for all those bitching about four year contracts.

picnroll
07-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Guess Spurs won’t be in the top half in the league in defense this year.

Perry Mason
07-09-2018, 07:43 AM
They must see something, signing a 4 year contract. I actually like this guy a ton as he is a gunner and Spurs have enough reluctant shooters. But he has not been very efficient and his defense needs a lot of work (guy needs to bulk up a bit).

Spurs must feel there is enough there to justify the contract and that it should be pretty tradeable if the need arises.

picnroll
07-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Can’t rebound, can’t defend. :lobt2:

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 07:44 AM
They must see something, signing a 4 year contract. I actually like this guy a ton as he is a gunner and Spurs have enough reluctant shooters. But he has not been very efficient and his defense needs a lot of work (guy needs to bulk up a bit).

Spurs must feel there is enough there to justify the contract and that it should be pretty tradeable if the need arises.

He also doesn't rebound worth a shit. He was the same player last year as he was the year before, if a bit worse. Not improving at all.

r0drig0lac
07-09-2018, 07:45 AM
nice

monkeypunk
07-09-2018, 07:47 AM
I like the signing, he’s a ruthless shooter that will only get better with more touches and PT. He’s also got a ton of length and will trend up defensively.

buttsR4rebounding
07-09-2018, 07:47 AM
I actually think his defense on Klay Thompson in the last playoff game was outstanding. Obviously he needs to bring a consistent effort there, but the Spurs are going to need minutes at the 3 and 4 this year and he knows the system. A role player on a relatively cheap contract.

-21-
07-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Not sure how I feel about this yet. Very surprised.

bigfan
07-09-2018, 07:51 AM
For the money not too bad I guess. Meh.

Spurs da champs
07-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Good value, he needs more playing time for sure, Spurs need shooting, badly.

dabom
07-09-2018, 07:54 AM
He ain't a pussy like fathead.

kobyz
07-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Dennis Scott type player...

spurs50_
07-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Please don't bring back Forbes.....

Strategic
07-09-2018, 07:57 AM
After losing TP and KA, Pop needs someone around to throw shit at. Welcome back Davis!

RGMCSE
07-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Not the worst thing ever.

George Gervin's Afro
07-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Who's Davis? Baron?

baseline bum
07-09-2018, 08:00 AM
Who the hell were the Spurs bidding against?

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Good value, he needs more playing time for sure, Spurs need shooting, badly.

How the fuck is this good value? What the hell does he do for this money?

99 Problems
07-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Value contract
Moveable contract
Spurs type guy
More minutes coming?
Expect him and Ferrari to splash from the riverbank?
Time and effort gone into his body by Spurs
Not getting any shorter.

Dverde
07-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Love it. Good job RC

ceperez
07-09-2018, 08:06 AM
Wow!!!! Now that's a bargain!!!! Locked up for four long years!!! Great job!

Roster getting better!

Mills White
Murray Walker
Green Belineli Blossomgame(?)
Gay Bertans Metu(?)
Aldridge Gasol

objective
07-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Utah most likely. They have no stretch four, already cut Jerebko, and have the full MLE to spend. He had been rumored to have their interest.

That said, it's more than Bjelica got per year, kind of surprising

And even though I love Davis, he was trash in the playoffs shooting 19% from three which was his only job. Good that he wasn't scared to shoot like Kyle, but he wasn't making them

I just hope the deal is declining.

There's no reason not to, they can't get to the tax now. At least try to help the future cap.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:13 AM
They need tall bodies/forwards so this was expected.

I like Davis. He's a good shooter. I thought he could have taken some of those Bryn Forbes minutes last season to begin with.

Hopefully he plays regularly now since he got paid. It will help his rhythm.

Just not really enthusiastic about it until the Kawhi-isis gets sorted out.

Marco
07-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Overpaid

RD2191
07-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Another bum

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:17 AM
After losing TP and KA, Pop needs someone around to throw shit at. Welcome back Davis!
He still has Danny Green for that.

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2018, 08:19 AM
Oh brother, this guy stinks!

Rocalcio
07-09-2018, 08:20 AM
I guess it wasn't the FO's first idea, they probably prefered to have Anderson back but since Memphis offered a lot of money they had to let him go and Bertans is probably the B plan. The fact that he was also considering coming back to Europe confirms that : He didn't feel very wanted so explored other options, until Anderson's case.

SuperCam
07-09-2018, 08:22 AM
another PATFO favored bum who can't stay on the court against golden state. his performance against them last round was truly atrocious, tbh

Keepin' it real
07-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Spurs better give him solid minutes now.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 08:24 AM
From what I have seen, even though there has not been a lot of chatter, there were several teams interested in Bertans services. He has shown some improvement on defense and is obviously someone who can shoot and when needed finish at the rim.

He’s still young, fit’s on any timeline whether it’s rebuilding and/or competing and this contract is more than fine. He is an asset and for this price he will be a great trade piece if needed.

For people freaking out about defense. Without Kawhi SA was in the top 3. They have only lost TP who was really bad and Kyle who was really good. If they can get another defensive wing via trade or even still in FA, there is no reason to believe they will fall off a cliff just by losing TP/Kyle.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Heh. He's didn't get a QO from anyone, even with teams rumored to have had interest. (Jazz, Nets,Wolves)

His agent said returning to play in Europe was a possibility. I think his agent had a minimum target or it simply wasn't worth it for Davis to come back.

Also, I think the Spurs had that same exact contract for Kyle for minutes as a backup 3/4. It was already in their budget. Since Davis is taking the role, they were fair in offering him the same contract.

Nickeling/diming him when they already had projected 4/20 in their budget for that role is really petty. Think Davis would be insulted and not come back.

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Is Nick Kerr building this team? This team is literally built to be an easy sweep against Golden State. The most unplayable guys against them continue to get paid by us :lol Danny green has to be next....

He shot 18.8% from 3 that series, and the sad part is he'll never turn down a shot no matter how garbage the look is.

I guess it's Crater face tradition to pay a ginger 5M/yr to be unable to do the only thing he's good at when it's playoff time

Nathan89
07-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Another useless person signed.

mosdef17
07-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Hey, he’s the best piece we got in the trade for George Hill...

ceperez
07-09-2018, 08:28 AM
There are many games that Spurs got back in the contest dues to Davis fearless shooting. He's also got range, in today's NBA shooting from 3 feet away from the 3 point line is a necessary skill.

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 08:30 AM
I don't know what the fuck most of you are talking about. Again, he's more than half of Anderson's salary, exactly the same length of contract, does almost nothing for the team. He needs to really improve and start eating up minutes for this contract to be worth a shit. He also needs to be fucking consistent with his jump shot, which he's not. And maybe rebound a goddamn basketball every once in a while.

ceperez
07-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Heh. He's didn't get a QO from anyone, even with teams rumored to have had interest. (Jazz, Nets,Wolves)

His agent said returning to play in Europe was a possibility. I think his agent had a minimum target or it simply wasn't worth it for Davis to come back.

Also, I think the Spurs had that same exact contract for Kyle for minutes as a backup 3/4. It was already in their budget. Since Davis is taking the role, they were fair in offering him the same contract.

Nickeling/diming him when they already had projected 4/20 in their budget for that role is really petty. Think Davis would be insulted and not come back.

With these younger players, there's an upside potential that doesn't get put into the equation.

Honestly though, Spurs with out a superstar like Leonard aren't going to be anywhere close to competing for a championship. Might as well have a team that you build up talent with.

spursistan
Why is this Front Office giving 4-year contracts to role players for a sport? PATFO are the only one that are still doing it.

I'm fine with Bertans back, but he could have been gotten for less.

SAGirl
I guess it wasn't the FO's first idea, they probably prefered to have Anderson back but since Memphis offered a lot of money they had to let him go and Bertans is probably the B plan. The fact that he was also considering coming back to Europe confirms that : He didn't feel very wanted so explored other options, until Anderson's case.
That's exactly what I thought.

Also as much shit as Kyle got, like Objective mentioned above, Davis shot 19% on 3 in the playoffs and that was really his only job and the reason he was playing. Of course the little trolls don't want to talk about that. It's meh.

He can get hot and may win the Spurs a couple of games just with hot shooting.

Without Kawhi this team is a paper tiger anyways. Pau, Marco and Davis going to make sure.

picnroll
07-09-2018, 08:33 AM
.440 FG%. .373 three point %, regressed from .399 the prior year.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-09-2018, 08:34 AM
They need tall bodies/forwards so this was expected.

I like Davis. He's a good shooter. I thought he could have taken some of those Bryn Forbes minutes last season to begin with.

Hopefully he plays regularly now since he got paid. It will help his rhythm.

Just not really enthusiastic about it until the Kawhi-isis gets sorted out.

:wow comparing Kawhi to Isis

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:34 AM
:wow comparing Kawhi to Isis
:lol

CGD
07-09-2018, 08:35 AM
Good deal, was concerned he’d get something over 7

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 08:35 AM
.440 FG%. .373 three point %, regressed from .399 the prior year.

It's a small contract, but it's stupid. I don't get it.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-09-2018, 08:37 AM

:toast

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:37 AM
From what I have seen, even though there has not been a lot of chatter, there were several teams interested in Bertans services. He has shown some improvement on defense and is obviously someone who can shoot and when needed finish at the rim.

He’s still young, fit’s on any timeline whether it’s rebuilding and/or competing and this contract is more than fine. He is an asset and for this price he will be a great trade piece if needed.

For people freaking out about defense. Without Kawhi SA was in the top 3. They have only lost TP who was really bad and Kyle who was really good. If they can get another defensive wing via trade or even still in FA, there is no reason to believe they will fall off a cliff just by losing TP/Kyle.
It's funny how fans can talk themselves into anything. Kyle was also young, also fit on a timeline whether the team was rebuilding or competing and he was a good player. He got too much in the open market and got a deal above the Spurs budget. That's all.

Davis was the backup plan.

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2018, 08:38 AM
$17M over the cap on a roster with 1 good player :lmao

PATFO :worthy:

cd98
07-09-2018, 08:39 AM
That’s a lot for a guy that will have 5 double figure games this year.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:42 AM
With these younger players, there's an upside potential that doesn't get put into the equation.

Honestly though, Spurs with out a superstar like Leonard aren't going to be anywhere close to competing for a championship. Might as well have a team that you build up talent with.
Agreed. Can't bitch about this contract. It's really small, Davis will likely play a lot of minutes due to lack of depth/bigs and he can shoot.

Right now it's more important to see what happens with Kawhi.

tbdog
07-09-2018, 08:42 AM
4 years to a player that didn't improve enough. Hopefully it's a team option.

Namundy
07-09-2018, 08:44 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Bertans but I think this is a solid investment. Golden State is going to make a lot of players look bad. He's long, can shoot, and is somewhat athletic. I wish this was the contract Anderson got, but obviously that didn't happen. Year three for Bertans and he should be getting close to 20 MPG now. Let's see what he does with it.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 08:46 AM
It's funny how fans can talk themselves into anything. Kyle was also young, also fit on a timeline whether the team was rebuilding or competing and he was a good player. He got too much in the open market and got a deal above the Spurs budget. That's all.

Huh? I wanted Kyle. This statement had nothing to do with Kyle.

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2018, 08:47 AM
4 years to a player that didn't improve enough. Hopefully it's a team option.
It will be a player option, 100%.

exstatic
07-09-2018, 08:47 AM

Euroleague.

RD2191
07-09-2018, 08:49 AM

It's pathetic tbh. No wonder kawhi wants out of this shit hole. :lol

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 08:49 AM
It's pathetic tbh. No wonder kawhi wants out of this shit hole. :lol

:lol So he’s mad about contracts so goes to a team that signed Loul Deng and Mozgov? Makes sense!

SuperCam
07-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Is Nick Kerr building this team? This team is literally built to be an easy sweep against Golden State. The most unplayable guys against them continue to get paid by us :lol Danny green has to be next....

He shot 18.8% from 3 that series, and the sad part is he'll never turn down a shot no matter how garbage the look is.

I guess it's Crater face tradition to pay a ginger 5M/yr to be unable to do the only thing he's good at when it's playoff time

this euroscrub had a PER of 4 against warriors last round. PATFO priority to lock up for 4 more years of course :lmao

monkeypunk
07-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Please don't bring back Forbes.....

SuperCam
07-09-2018, 08:51 AM
:lol So he’s mad about contracts so goes to a team that signed Loul Deng and Mozgov? Makes sense!

that was jim and mitch who got ran out of town tbh

RD2191
07-09-2018, 08:52 AM

He hasn't gone anywhere yet tbh. And PATFO is still shit tbh

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Huh? I wanted Kyle. This statement had nothing to do with Kyle.
You are right and frankly the general comment I reference wasn't made by you so I apologize for confusion. Last night a few fans made a similar comment but going completely the other way. How 4 year deals don't make sense, how it was best to preserve space for next summer, how The Spurs are likely getting forwards back in trade for Kawhi, basically concluding that a 4 year deal for Kyle didn't make sense and that he didn't fit The timeline of a team that was in a crisis and getting players back likely playing his position (an assumption)

Looking back on this, you used almost similar words but concluded different.

The only difference is the amount in the respective contracts that's all.

Spurs da champs
07-09-2018, 08:54 AM
How the fuck is this good value? What the hell does he do for this money?

5 mill a year for a stretch 4 who can move his feet surprisingly well on defense is good value. He also ain't scared of the moment which bum Anderson was. With more minutes as opposed to being constantly in and out of the rotation his production will most definitely go up.

RD2191
07-09-2018, 08:54 AM
I'd rather have Kyle than this bum tbh

Mugen
07-09-2018, 08:57 AM
:lol Who tf were they bidding against?

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 08:57 AM

this euroscrub had a PER of 4 against warriors last round. PATFO priority to lock up for 4 more years of course :lmao
Which is why I replied to spursistan (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49560) last night that performance against the warriors had nothing to do with Kyle's deal too.
This deal had nothing to do with performance in that series.

Mills got 12:01/50 mills after a horrible, absolutely disgusting performance against the warriors two seasons ago.

Pau Gasol just said the Spurs were very happy with his performance and the Spurs don't have him projected in trades and guys still think that mattered! :lol

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 09:00 AM
5 mill a year for a stretch 4 who can move his feet surprisingly well on defense is good value. He also ain't scared of the moment which bum Anderson was. With more minutes as opposed to being constantly in and out of the rotation his production will most definitely go up.

Wow. He can move his feet on defense.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 09:01 AM
that was jim and mitch who got ran out of town tbh

Some ownership group that makes terrible decisions.

SnakeBoy
07-09-2018, 09:02 AM
It's official, PATFO spent 19 years stealing credit from TD. Now that he's gone it's clear they don't know wtf they're doing.

r0drig0lac
I disagree, I think one of them was seen as a good defender (and secondary playmaker), and the other as a shooter, I think with Bertans signing and Bellinelli returning, Forbes is out, Anderson replacement is not yet on the team (or will be Blossomgame for its defensive potential)

Spurs da champs
Wow. He can move his feet on defense.

Did you not see him keep up with Klay Thompson in PO's? Aren't you the same guy who said Kyle Anderson>Brandon Ingram? :lmao

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 09:03 AM
You are right and frankly the general comment I reference wasn't made by you so I apologize for confusion. Last night a few fans made a similar comment but going completely the other way. How 4 year deals don't make sense, how it was best to preserve space for next summer, how The Spurs are likely getting forwards back in trade for Kawhi, basically concluding that a 4 year deal for Kyle didn't make sense and that he didn't fit The timeline of a team that was in a crisis and getting players back likely playing his position (an assumption)

Looking back on this, you used almost similar words but concluded different.

The only difference is the amount in the respective contracts that's all.

It’s all good. I wanted SA to match Kyle. Im ok that they didn’t - it’s not going to cripple SA or anything, but I preferred that they did.

I agree about contracts being short but that is more for the players that are older (Rudy, Danny, Beli). If they are younger like Kyle/Davis as long as they aren’t egregious I’m fine with longer deals.

This and Kyle’s deal would have both been tradeable. I’m still waiting to see the details because if it’s anything less than fully guaranteed then its a no brainer contract. Even if it is guaranteed it’s still just fine.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Content with this, it's a small and movable contract and it's possible that not all of it is guaranteed. He has room for improvement and Spurs really need shooting.

Mugen
07-09-2018, 09:05 AM
Murray/White
Patty/Beli
?????/Danny
Gay/Bertans
LMA/Pau

That's essentially your 10man rotation (assuming Manu retires which is likely). It would make sense if Kawhi wasnt such a huge pussy but the fit is definitely murky with whatever you get back for him.

I guess Ingram or Covington make sense but damn that's a 8th-10th seed team tbh...

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Hey, he’s the best piece we got in the trade for George Hill...
That's sad mosdef... Get the humor though.:downspin:

Spurs da champs
07-09-2018, 09:06 AM
Spur fans don't seem to understand how today's contracts work.

SpursDynasty85
07-09-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised a team hasn't asked more for him. Long, athletic, can shoot, and has decent lateral quickness. All this points to Derrick White getting significant minutes to me significantly more if Manu retires.

Mugen
07-09-2018, 09:09 AM
I'd feel a lot better about that roster if Kawhi wasn't a POS and they were able to trade Murray/Danny/1st for Kemba Walker tbh

picnroll
07-09-2018, 09:10 AM
That's sad mosdef... Get the humor though.:downspin:

Given the way Hill’s game has fallen off it might be a draw.

look_at_g_shred
07-09-2018, 09:12 AM
A lot of yall acting like this is 20 mil a year lol its 5 and maybe even partially guaranteed. And then...everyone hated kyle because he was so reluctant to shoot yet, Bertans is the opposite of that and is still not wanted... lol

loveforthegame
07-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Good deal. I like it. Welcome back. :tu

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Players with similar contracts - Glenn Robinson III, Kyle Singler, Patrick Patterson, etc.

Bertans will be good value.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 09:16 AM
It’s all good. I wanted SA to match Kyle. Im ok that they didn’t - it’s not going to cripple SA or anything, but I preferred that they did.

I agree about contracts being short but that is more for the players that are older (Rudy, Danny, Beli). If they are younger like Kyle/Davis as long as they aren’t egregious I’m fine with longer deals.

This and Kyle’s deal would have both been tradeable. I’m still waiting to see the details because if it’s anything less than fully guaranteed then its a no brainer contract. Even if it is guaranteed it’s still just fine.
Roger.

Mugen
I like Davis, a lot better than throwing double that money at a non-shooter like Fathead tbh

DPG21920
Murray/White
Patty/Beli
?????/Danny
Gay/Bertans
LMA/Pau

That's essentially your 10man rotation (assuming Manu retires which is likely). It would make sense if Kawhi wasnt such a huge pussy but the fit is definitely murky with whatever you get back for him.

I guess Ingram or Covington make sense but damn that's a 8th-10th seed team tbh...

Well ya dude, losing Kawhi sucks and any team would take a blow. But, you can already see what SA is doing. They have Lonnie, White, Murray so they are building on the fly with youth around LMA.

All the other deals besides the young guys are 1 or 2 year. They project to have some serious cap space next year even if they don’t trade Mills.

I don’t know any team that could lose a Kawhi level player and still be more than a 8th to 10th seed. Hell, OKC lost KD and still had Russ/PG and they weren’t any better and their cap situation, like HOU’s, is absolutely horrific.

People really need to do a reality check (not just you). I mean, I get it, this is a tough time, but SA was still a WCF when Kawhi wasn’t a b*tch and are in such a better spot than nearly every other team despite losing their superstar out of no where.

They actually already have some promising youth despite winning so much (HOU has none, NO has none, OKC has some), they are in a great spot cap wise moving forward to adjust/rebuild (HOU and OKC are totally boned, GS is boned) and they still have a chance to get some additional assets for Kawhi.

It’s not ideal but I honestly have no idea how people can be upset with SA overall. They aren’t perfect but if you compare them to damn near everyone else they look a hell of a lot more competent IMO.

Pau/Mills sucked and were bad decisions but even those were born out of loyalty and opportunity trying to win big for Kawhi/Lma. They came up empty while still adding youth and being really good, but even their bad (which to me, Pau/Mills are the only LEGIT gripes) was due to them trying to take the big swings that all of us asked them to do.

Dex

For nearly 2.5 times the price? No thanks.

Dex
07-09-2018, 09:17 AM
A lot of yall acting like this is 20 mil a year lol its 5 and maybe even partially guaranteed. And then...everyone hated kyle because he was so reluctant to shoot yet, Bertans is the opposite of that and is still not wanted... lol

Precisely. $5M a year for a player of Bertans' quality is a steal now, and will be even moreso in the third or fourth year.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 09:21 AM
I disagree, I think one of them was seen as a good defender (and secondary playmaker), and the other as a shooter, I think with Bertans signing and Bellinelli returning, Forbes is out, Anderson replacement is not yet on the team (or will be Blossomgame for its defensive potential)
I also expect additional players to be signed. Blossomgame is a candidate. There may be others. Only the uncertainty with Kawhi makes me wonder if they are getting players back and want to keep some spots open.

I may be among the few who still thinks Kawhi doesn't get traded, but we'll see.

coachmac87
07-09-2018, 09:23 AM

85% of this board is retarded...

boutons_deux
07-09-2018, 09:26 AM
I was expecting DB to a 3pt ace, but he hasn't cracked 40% yet

His 3G% dropped by 2%+ from 16-17 to 17-18

At very best he's avg at rebounds, shotblocker, defender, iow, not a hustler.

Mugen
07-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Well ya dude, losing Kawhi sucks and any team would take a blow. But, you can already see what SA is doing. They have Lonnie, White, Murray so they are building on the fly with youth around LMA.

All the other deals besides the young guys are 1 or 2 year. They project to have some serious cap space next year even if they don’t trade Mills.

I don’t know any team that could lose a Kawhi level player and still be more than a 8th to 10th seed. Hell, OKC lost KD and still had Russ/PG and they weren’t any better and their cap situation, like HOU’s, is absolutely horrific.

People really need to do a reality check (not just you). I mean, I get it, this is a tough time, but SA was still a WCF when Kawhi wasn’t a b*tch and are in such a better spot than nearly every other team despite losing their superstar out of no where.

They actually already have some promising youth despite winning so much (HOU has none, NO has none, OKC has some), they are in a great spot cap wise moving forward to adjust/rebuild (HOU and OKC are totally boned, GS is boned) and they still have a chance to get some additional assets for Kawhi.

It’s not ideal but I honestly have no idea how people can be upset with SA overall. They aren’t perfect but if you compare them to damn near everyone else they look a hell of a lot more competent IMO.

Pau/Mills sucked and were bad decisions but even those were born out of loyalty and opportunity trying to win big for Kawhi/Lma. They came up empty while still adding youth and being really good, but even their bad (which to me, Pau/Mills are the only LEGIT gripes) was due to them trying to take the big swings that all of us asked them to do.

Deep, I'm with you on all fronts. I'm not upset at SA since Kawhi being one of the biggest bitches in sports history is not something you can really plan for...

I was more lamenting the fact that they'd still be good enough to be an 8th-10th seed instead of completely bottoming out like i'd want them to....and that's not really a realistic scenario since Pop isn't coaching a tanking team :lol

I've been pretty damn happy with all the non-Kawhi related moves this offseason (drafting Lonnie, letting TP/Kyle walk, getting shooters like Beli/Bertans...) if you're looking at it with a lens of the FO being put in an impossible situation with the Kawhi saga v. not completely blowing it up...

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2018, 09:28 AM
85% of this board is retarded...
Stop posting and that percentage will go down a ton.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Murray/White
Patty/Beli
?????/Danny
Gay/Bertans
LMA/Pau

They will be fine.

It depends on how much improvement you get from Murray, and how White will be playing. I think white is an improvement over Forbes and Tony. They might get better production from their guards. Losing Manu will hurt, that's why Pop got Marco. (Not happy about that but whatever)

Your have to guess how Bertans would perform for a full season.

It's possible in the Kawhi trade you are getting a better player than Kyle to start. Have to take into account that Kawhi only played 9 games all last season and yo your team started Kyle. Depending on what you get from that spot is how many wins you add to last season.

Without Kawhi it's fought to feel optimistic, but have to see how the guards have progressed and what the Spurs get back for Kawhi.

pad300
07-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Why have like 3 or 4 people in this thread said Bertans is long?
Height (w/o shoes): 6'9"
Height (w/ shoes): 6'10.5"
Wingspan: 6'10.25"
were his 2011 hoop summit measurements. If anything that is short. Signing is Ok, but if choosing between him and Kyle, I would have chosen matching Kyle.
consider:
https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=3185&player_ids%5B%5D=1464&season=2017

siraulo23
07-09-2018, 09:40 AM

07-09-2018, 09:40 AM
Would have preferred the Spurs tried to get Nemanja Bjelica instead of keeping Davis.

Mr. Body
07-09-2018, 09:44 AM

He's not close to average in those things.

MoSpur02
07-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Eh... don't hate it, but also don't like it. It is what it is. Can they still go after Mbah a Moute?

TDomination
07-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Glad to see him stay :)

I really hope he can stay consistent with his shooting, we need some elite shooting .

TrainOfThought5
07-09-2018, 09:47 AM
..... id have rather kept Kyle. At least his defense was good.

tholdren
07-09-2018, 09:48 AM
That’s a lot for a guy that will have 5 double figure games this year.

Half the amount anderson will get for zero double figure games.

MoSpur02
07-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Glad to see him stay :)

I really hope he can stay consistent with his shooting, we need some elite shooting .

I don't think he's that consistent. He needs to improve IMO

tholdren
07-09-2018, 09:53 AM
were his 2011 hoop summit measurements. If anything that is short. Signing is Ok, but if choosing between him and Kyle, I would have chosen matching Kyle.
consider:
https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&player_ids%5B%5D=3185&player_ids%5B%5D=1464&season=2017

You have to chose a scorer or the potential of one with this roster. Kyle doesnt make anyone better, cant get a bucket when needed and consistently lulled the team into and not out of droughts. Bertans can shoot you out of a funk.

If spurs had mutiple scorers then probably kyle. But they dont.

coachmac87
07-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Look at your post count compared to mine...

Get a life. Buy a real boat. Make real friends. Talk to a real girl...

rascal
07-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Spurs better give him solid minutes now.

They better not. He is a bench quality player.

duncan2150
Eh... don't hate it, but also don't like it. It is what it is. Can they still go after Mbah a Moute?

We still have the same options with what's left on the MLE and the BAE. It will depend on Kawhi's situation for another SF

About Bertans i'm not jumping about this signing but i prefer this contract to what kyle will have with Memphis.

Budkin
Decent price for a decent player.

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Look at your post count compared to mine...Get a life. Buy a real boat. Make real friends. Talk to a real girl...
Been on this board for years, middle school coach.

Make a podcast. Get real listeners. Upgrade to high school basketball.

ducks
07-09-2018, 10:05 AM
consider:
Anderson was more
could have been the same offer to Anderson he said no so they offered to him

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Deep, I'm with you on all fronts. I'm not upset at SA since Kawhi being one of the biggest bitches in sports history is not something you can really plan for...

I was more lamenting the fact that they'd still be good enough to be an 8th-10th seed instead of completely bottoming out like i'd want them to....and that's not really a realistic scenario since Pop isn't coaching a tanking team :lol

I've been pretty damn happy with all the non-Kawhi related moves this offseason (drafting Lonnie, letting TP/Kyle walk, getting shooters like Beli/Bertans...) if you're looking at it with a lens of the FO being put in an impossible situation with the Kawhi saga v. not completely blowing it up...

The thing is, even if you wanted to blow it up you have to see what Kawhi yields in return first. So nothing they have done precludes them from still blowing it up. Letting TP/Kyle go helps that. Signing Beli, Rudy & Danny staying doesnt harm that and Bertans is part of a rebuild.

I dont see why people want to blow it up though! Like, you can always blow it up, you can’t always get back to being a playoff team. So if you can get younger, have a flexible financial future and still try to rebuild after Kawhi why would you just want to blow it up?

I get that you want top draft picks and that will be the best way to get a new star, but SA can still be pretty damn good if the Kawhi trade does ok and they will have cap space.

cd98
07-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Half the amount anderson will get for zero double figure games.

Whoa. I think the numbers bear out who the professional teams think is the better player.

jjktkk
07-09-2018, 10:10 AM

Well said. :tu

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 10:10 AM
they're betting on his development. its a slight overpay now imo, but could end up being a huge bargain.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-09-2018, 10:11 AM
We're finished.

coachmac87
07-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Been on this board for years, middle school coach.

Make a podcast. Get real listeners. Upgrade to high school basketball.

You pretend to know...

But only thing that is a fact is you clicked on my podcast....and you and your alts live on the internet..

jjktkk
Nice signing. You can never have too many shooters.

spursparker9
The next unicorn

MannyIsGod
07-09-2018, 10:25 AM
I told yall in the KA thread. Three point shooting is the most valuable skillset in the NBA right now and it's not even close.

I am a bit surprised that this is four years. Would liked for Davis to have taken a bigger step up before signing him long term, but It's not a horrible contract by any means and the dude can shoot.

InRareForm
07-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Not bad

MannyIsGod
07-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Do you realize how much you project?

ginobilized
07-09-2018, 10:29 AM
Given the circumstances, this is a solid signing. The Spurs are not finished moving parts around, either.

I have a strong suspicion that PATFO may be not only changing the roster, but, also adapting the "system" to fit the players on hand and the modern NBA.
I expect more small ball lineups and an offensive makeover of sorts. Pop is very creative and doesn't deviate from a plan until it is proven to no longer work. The tweaks may be subtle, but, watch for them.
This would explain the loss of "corporate knowledge" going forward. Pop and RC are real planners and I expect to see a very different style of play in some ways next season.

Personally, Bertans at 20/4 vs Anderson at 37.2/4 is a no-brainer.

Once the Kawhi crap gets sorted, it should be a very interesting season.

MannyIsGod
07-09-2018, 10:37 AM
The thing is, even if you wanted to blow it up you have to see what Kawhi yields in return first. So nothing they have done precludes them from still blowing it up. Letting TP/Kyle go helps that. Signing Beli, Rudy & Danny staying doesnt harm that and Bertans is part of a rebuild.

I dont see why people want to blow it up though! Like, you can always blow it up, you can’t always get back to being a playoff team. So if you can get younger, have a flexible financial future and still try to rebuild after Kawhi why would you just want to blow it up?

I get that you want top draft picks and that will be the best way to get a new star, but SA can still be pretty damn good if the Kawhi trade does ok and they will have cap space.

Exactly. I'll never understand the desire to bottom out for a small market team.

FkLA
07-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Some of y'all are retarded. :lol

but but a $5 mill/yr player wasn't lights out against GS w/o Kawhitter :cry
wat is PATFO doing :cry

TheDoctor
07-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Rocalcio that you?

ducks
07-09-2018, 10:46 AM
I WOULD RATHER HAVE DUNCAN BACK AT 20 MILLION ALSO
I WOULD RATHER HAVE JAMES AT 20 MILLION ALSO
I WOULD RATHER HAVE CURRY AT 20 MILLIN ALSO

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-09-2018, 10:50 AM
So, like, half the contract of Kyle Anderson for less than half the player.

lol

AFBlue
07-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Dude has ice in his veins as a shooter, and just needs more opportunity. With Anderson gone, I think he'll get it. Gotta have stretch bigs in today's NBA, and he fits the bill. There's still considerable upside with him.

rascal
07-09-2018, 10:58 AM

White player. Needs to shoot an open jump shot to get his shot away. Not a shot creator. No quickness or hops in his game.
His height gives him some scoring around the basket but prefers to stand on the perimeter where his lack of athleticism works better.

Dex
07-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Spurs lock down a legit rotation player for less than 5% of the cap, and people around here still bitching smh.

212094ever
07-09-2018, 11:01 AM
I'm ok with this as long as they don't bring back Forbes.

look_at_g_shred
07-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Solid first post

venitian navigator
07-09-2018, 11:07 AM

agree...but probably (and hopefully) we already have enough guards signed

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 11:08 AM
his value can only go up. if he played 1 year on a RFA tender and showed the improvement we think he could, there's no way he'd be had for anything really near 5 mil. as opposed to anderson who as a 4 year vet sorta already is what he is.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Good shit. Now give him some regularity in terms of minutes and profit.

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Spurs FO has a serious Matt Bonner fetish. Another regular season player that turns into a pumkin in the playoffs.

Chucho
07-09-2018, 11:15 AM
I hate the guy. He's a pussy who can't rebound, can't defend and his shooting is streaky. I'd have preferred Anderson, but he was just too expensive for the output.

The contract ins't bad, but the player is. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel a sub Bonner prime for this dude.

dbestpro
07-09-2018, 11:17 AM
I hate the guy. He's a pussy who can't rebound, can't defend and his shooting is streaky. I'd have preferred Anderson, but he was just too expensive for the output.

The contract ins't bad, but the player is. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel a sub Bonner prime for this dude.

Your hope is reality.

Chucho
07-09-2018, 11:19 AM
Your hope is reality.

As in he'll get better? That's what I'm hoping. I'd never hope a player we signed gets shittier.

Chucho
07-09-2018, 11:20 AM
I'm hoping he can give 25 minutes, 10 points or so and maybe 5 rebounds. That's be awesome for the price. Am I too out of line in those expectations?

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 11:22 AM

That was funny.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 11:25 AM
I'm hoping he can give 25 minutes, 10 points or so and maybe 5 rebounds. That's be awesome for the price. Am I too out of line in those expectations?
Hmm not sure on the rebounds let's be honest.

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Teams like the Lakers, Rockets, Warriors, Clippers, etc are signing players to one year deals and the Spurs are still destroying future cap space by signing flat out scrubs to Four year contracts. The league is zigging and the Spurs are zagging.

apalisoc_9
07-09-2018, 11:28 AM

https://www.thecoli.com/media/mjualoser.13171/full?d=1494410883

dbestpro
07-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Teams like the Lakers, Rockets, Warriors, Clippers, etc are signing players to one year deals and the Spurs are still destroying future cap space by signing flat out scrubs to Four year contracts. The league is zigging and the Spurs are zagging.

The Spurs have been winning for years by not following the norm.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Why the fuck are guys acting surprised? :lol After Kyle was let go, declining Bertans wasn't even an option.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Hoops Czar just likes to complain, but he very clearly has no idea what he’s talking about here. SA is in a very comfortable cap spot.

HankChinaski
07-09-2018, 11:30 AM
I like this signing. Hopefully with the roster changes Bertans can make the most of the opportunity in front of him. Looking forward to training camp.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 11:32 AM
If Bertans makes the leap I expect him to make this upcoming season, folks will be popping champagne bottles, celebrating the fact that we signed him for 5 millions per season for the next 4 years.

hooperflash
07-09-2018, 11:34 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Anthony_Davis_dunk.JPG

anon
07-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Bertans' hidden value is as a Porzingis recruiter. Something lit a fire under RC's ass this summer, man is doing work.

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 11:37 AM

They have one championship in 10 years. Do you mean winning a lot of regular sewason games?

HarlemHeat37
07-09-2018, 11:37 AM
I'm indifferent towards this..I liked Bertans earlier, but I've grown a little tired of his shot selection and poor rebounding/defense..

Spurs needed a PF, though, they didn't have much of a choice here..Pop isn't playing summer league guys to begin the season..

Having Bertans with Belinelli makes me cringe, though..

People need to stop citing tiny sample sizes for role players against the best team of all-time:lol

BSfromTX
07-09-2018, 11:38 AM
I like it. I'm still convinced he is better than what he has shown. Hoping more minutes allow him to settle and better contribute

Chucho
07-09-2018, 11:38 AM
They have one championship in 10 years. Do you mean winning a lot of regular sewason games?

And 85% of the league has zero titles this last decade.

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 11:39 AM
Hoops Czar just likes to complain, but he very clearly has no idea what he’s talking about here. SA is in a very comfortable cap spot.
DPG " Just wait until Parker's contract ends and the Spurs will have enough cap space to sign another max free agent to pair with Kawhi."

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 11:40 AM
And 85% of the league has zero titles this last decade.
And only one percent of the teams in the league had Tim Duncan.

Dverde
07-09-2018, 11:41 AM
DPG " Just wait until Parker's contract ends and the Spurs will have enough cap space to sign another max free agent to pair with Kawhi."

Good. Pau needs a raise :lol

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 11:41 AM
For those interested in what SA’s “reasonable” cap situation looks like next year after what we have currently (Rudy & Danny back, Bertans for 20M, letting Kyle go signing Beli to 2/12M):

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=12045290525b438e6742c73745726190

I define reasonable by stuff SA controls (meaning team options, ability to waive, non-guarantees). Even after all the moves SA has made and keeping Kawhi’s salaries on the books (unlikely, but still):

SA would have:

LMA
Kawhi
Mills
Beli
Bertans
Lonnie
White
Murray

So in keeping that in mind, if SA just does only what is in their control (so no having to trade to dump salary, etc..) and they waive all the cap holds for free agents (Danny, Rudy, everyone else), waive and stretch Pau and they keep Milutinov’s charge, they would have 21M in cap space with no other moves.

So a few things:

1) If they can trade Pau vs stretching him, they will net about another 2M in cap space. This can be EASILY accomplished since a team trading for Pau would only be eating 6M to get a 2nd round pick or something.

2) If they can trade Mills (not as easy probably) that cap space balloons up into max contract range.

3) Even if they can’t/won’t trade Mills/Pau, the Kawhi trade could easily take the team from 21M in cap space to far above it depending on the trade.

So worst case scenario you would still have LMA with some young guys in Bertans, Murray, Lonnie, White and a solid chunk of cap space to work with along with vets in Beli/Mills.

dbestpro
07-09-2018, 11:42 AM

There are 24 teams with no championships over the past 10 years. The Spurs have not had a losing season in 21 years. Get real.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 11:43 AM
I'm indifferent towards this..I liked Bertans earlier, but I've grown a little tired of his shot selection and poor rebounding/defense..

Spurs needed a PF, though, they didn't have much of a choice here..Pop isn't playing summer league guys to begin the season..

Having Bertans with Belinelli makes me cringe, though..

People need to stop citing tiny sample sizes for role players against the best team of all-time:lol

Worst case scenario, unlike Kyle, SA kept an asset to be used later if need be. Regardless of what you think of the player, this is an asset and can be used in trades to help net something if need be vs just losing talent like other teams have.

ernest787
07-09-2018, 11:43 AM
^^^ which is another reason letting Anderson go was the right move. If they are going to rebuild (weather we bottom out or do it on the fly) that cap space is the most important piece of the puzzle.

bklynspursfan
07-09-2018, 11:45 AM
There are 24 teams with no championships over the past 10 years. The Spurs have not had a losing season in 21 years. Get real.

Exactly :lol

marinoman
Can we still offer moute a 2 year deal for $6.8 mil like we could have yesterday?

Hoops Czar
How many of thiose teams had Tim Duncan? Comparing the Spurs to teams like Sacramento, Phoenix, Charlotte :lol

Chucho
07-09-2018, 11:51 AM
And only one percent of the teams in the league had Tim Duncan.

You're saying the Spurs should have more titles in the last 10 years with a Tim Duncan on the decline. Flawless thinking.

Chinook
07-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Spurs lock down a legit rotation player for less than 5% of the cap, and people around here still bitching smh.

Yeah, seriously. I've been projecting these contracts for both Berts and Anderson for months now (though I didn't know the Spurs would let Kyle go). I like the years, especially with the APY. Now it's up to them to make the contract worthwhile. It can be a bad deal if they keep Davis out of the rotation. But right now, he might even be a starter between Leonard and Aldridge at worst, he's on the bench next to Pau. Do I want Pop to bring in another forward to push him for minutes? Yes. But these are the types of deals SA needs to get back to 2012-2014 levels of depth.

Rocalcio
07-09-2018, 11:56 AM

I’m not saying they had the same role in the team, just that the FO was considering keeping only one of them and that they wanted Anderson. I agree on the fact that we need a replacement for Anderson cause he was a starter, not Bertans.

timvp
07-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Eh, I was hoping Bertans would be closer to $4 million per season. With the options either KA for $38 million over four years or Bertans at $20 millions, I guess I agree with going with Bertans. His shooting ability and overall agility make him a good fit no matter how the roster is constructed going forward. With KA, there were scenarios where he'd be close to useless. With Bertans, he will be useful in just about every scenario.

But there are some risks to this decision. If Bertans tears another ACL, this deal could look ugly fast. KA is also obviously the better overall player with a higher upside. Bertans is what he is; I can't imagine a scenario where he takes a giant step forward. Best case is added experience helps him defensively and he shoots 40% on threes on the other end.

Nephew's fiasco pretty much forced the Spurs' hand. Kyle could have been the choice in a lot of scenarios but, with the questions marks, it makes more sense to go with Bertans simply because his skillset allows him to fit no matter what.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 12:02 PM
How many of thiose teams had Tim Duncan? Comparing the Spurs to teams like Sacramento, Phoenix, Charlotte :lol

Spurs reached a WCF without Duncan and still made the playoffs last year without Kawhi whil the team you mentioned couldn’t even do that :lol

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Worst case scenario, unlike Kyle, SA kept an asset to be used later if need be. Regardless of what you think of the player, this is an asset and can be used in trades to help net something if need be vs just losing talent like other teams have.

You don't know the Spurs at all if you think the Spurs would even entertain thoughts about trading Bertans. See, you talk the tak but when it comes to walking the walk, you shit your pants. Just like Matt Bonner was tradeable all those years. Apparently, you can't put a price tag on terrible because the Spurs just bid against themselves for Bertan's services. Let's talk about all the things the Spurs can do and watch them do none of them.

And no, worst case scenario would be Bertans averaging 25 mpg for the next four seasons because they have to justify that contract. He's basically Matt Bonner with a ceiling of Steve Novak.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Eh, I was hoping Bertans would be closer to $4 million per season. With the options either KA for $38 million over four years or Bertans at $20 millions, I guess I agree with going with Bertans. His shooting ability and overall agility make him a good fit no matter how the roster is constructed going forward. With KA, there were scenarios where he'd be close to useless. With Bertans, he will be useful in just about every scenario.

But there are some risks to this decision. If Bertans tears another ACL, this deal could look ugly fast. KA is also obviously the better overall player with a higher upside. Bertans is what he is; I can't imagine a scenario where he takes a giant step forward. Best case is added experience helps him defensively and he shoots 40% on threes on the other end.

Nephew's fiasco pretty much forced the Spurs' hand. Kyle could have been the choice in a lot of scenarios but, with the questions marks, it makes more sense to go with Bertans simply because his skillset allows him to fit no matter what.

Deal could still be 4M per year; we don’t know the details yet on guarantees or years.

DJR210
07-09-2018, 12:04 PM
At least start utilizing him the way they do on the Latvian team..

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 12:05 PM
You're saying the Spurs should have more titles in the last 10 years with a Tim Duncan on the decline. Flawless thinking.

He was on the decline for seven years and yet as of 2014, he was still the second best player on the team behind Tony Parker.

monkeypunk
07-09-2018, 12:08 PM
He's basically Matt Bonner with a ceiling of Steve Novak.

Yeah, you're wrong.

Bertrans is a harder style Euro player who is tough as nails and won't back down from anyone. The chip on his shoulder is bigger than Fattie Bonner and Novak combined and if he can find his shot consistently will be a good get for us at that price.

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 12:09 PM
keeping bertans and letting anderson walk would be moves consistent with a team intent on keeping kawhi

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Spurs reached a WCF without Duncan and still made the playoffs last year without Kawhi whil the team you mentioned couldn’t even do that :lol

Second in the West bitches!

keithington1
We need a tall athletic center. Harrell anyone? Militunov please!

DPG21920
Second in the West bitches!

Ya - that’s like really good.

timvp
07-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Deal could still be 4M per year; we don’t know the details yet on guarantees or years.

Good point, breh. If there's unguaranteed money in the deal, then it would have made it a no-brainer to pick over KA's deal with the trade kicker.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Good point, breh. If there's unguaranteed money in the deal, then it would have made it a no-brainer to pick over KA's deal with the trade kicker.

Assuming you have your take on Kawhi? Even if this somehow gets resolved, what are your thoughts on him moving forward as a Spur or otherwise?

DAF86
07-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Depth chart so far:

Murray - Mills - White
Green - Bellinelli - Walker
(Kawhi) - Manu - Paul
Bertans - Gay
Aldridge - Gasol

We need one or two more bigs and one or two more SF's. They will be acquired via Kawhi trade, probably.

Mal
07-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Good deal

Mal
07-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Depth chart so far:

Murray - Mills - White
(Kawhi) - Manu - Paul
Bertans - Gay
Aldridge - Gasol

We need one or two more bigs and one or two more SF's. They will be acquired via Kawhi trade, probably.

Kuzma and Ingram would fit perfectly

Mal
07-09-2018, 12:28 PM
I can see beautiful basketball returning. Don't know about Kawhi situation, but for now everyplayer in rotation can provide defense or outside shooting. I know that Mills and Gasol are traffic cones but both can shoot and pass the ball. Adding White, Belli, Manu, Bertans you can see a lot of shooting and passing. Starting 5 looks more defense oriented.

gambit1990
07-09-2018, 12:31 PM
not a bad contract.

ElNono
07-09-2018, 12:31 PM
$5m is a good price point, tbh... unfortunate about the 4 years, but it might not be all guaranteed. Gotta read the details.

gambit1990
07-09-2018, 12:32 PM
We need a tall athletic center. Harrell anyone? Militunov please!
would take a flyer on harrell.

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Depth chart so far:

Murray - Mills - White
(Kawhi) - Manu - Paul
Bertans - Gay
Aldridge - Gasol

:lol you keep wischasting bertans as a starter tbh. they didnt pay gay 10 mil to play behind davis

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 12:33 PM
$5m is a good price point, tbh... unfortunate about the 4 years, but it might not be all guaranteed. Gotta read the details.
if you buy that 5 mil is a good price point, then the years are actually a positive... as his value can only go up from here imo

ElNono
07-09-2018, 12:34 PM
if you buy that 5 mil is a good price point, then the years are actually a positive... as his value can only go up from here imo

True. The question is timing in case the Spurs decide to blow it up in 2 years. But $5m is much easier to dump, trade, etc.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 12:35 PM
:lol you keep wischasting bertans as a starter tbh. they didnt pay gay 10 mil to play behind davis

I just put Bertans on the SL, because I had Kawhi in there. In the unlikely (but possible) scenario that Kawhi starts the season with us, it would make a lot more sense to have Bertans on the SL than Gay, tbh.

Also, Mills will probably start too, I just put it that way because I thought it made they most sense, not because I think that's what Pop will do.

Mr. Body
Did you not see him keep up with Klay Thompson in PO's? Aren't you the same guy who said Kyle Anderson>Brandon Ingram? :lmao

Brandon Ingram is worse than a steaming piece of shit on defense, Kyle Anderson is a good defender.

ducks
the details on what is guaranteed could make it a very good deal

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 12:37 PM
I just put Bertans on the SL, because I had Kawhi in there. In the unlikely (but possible) scenario that Kawhi starts the season with us, it would make a lot more sense to have Bertans on the SL than Gay, tbh.

Also, Mills will probably start too, I just put it that way because I thought it made they most sense, not because I think that's what Pop will do.
i know you think that, but there has never been a hint of indication that pop thinks so. its wishcasting and far from the first time you've slotted bertans as a starter

i think he has starter potential but he hasn't shown it yet.

Dave_ET
07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
The 4 years is a major tell, most likely the staff thinks Bertans still has a good amount of untapped potential. Solid signing imo.

Raven
07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
wow.. fml

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 12:45 PM
I wonder what is causing the delay in doing the actual signings? I mean, I dont think SA is close on any Kawhi trades so?

Raven
07-09-2018, 12:48 PM

I thought you meant summer league.. it looked more reasonable, to me.

look_at_g_shred
07-09-2018, 12:48 PM
I wonder what is causing the delay in doing the actual signings? I mean, I dont think SA is close on any Kawhi trades so?
When was the first day signings could take place?

Spursmania
07-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Ugh!

Mugen
07-09-2018, 12:53 PM
When was the first day signings could take place?

July 6th

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
I mean, we know SA is using exceptions vs cap space so I wonder what the hold up is. There does not really need to be any “order of operations” type deal with these signings since SA is operating over the cap.

Just odd. Maybe it’s nothing. Might just be something where guys like Rudy/Beli aren’t around to sign, but seems a little weird to me.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
i know you think that, but there has never been a hint of indication that pop thinks so. its wishcasting and far from the first time you've slotted bertans as a starter

i think he has starter potential but he hasn't shown it yet.

I know, that's why I said: "I just put it that way because I thought it made they most sense, not because I think that's what Pop will do."

I mean, if I was at some point arguing that fact I would understand you trying to argue with me; but I'm not, so I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here. :lol

kaji157
07-09-2018, 01:00 PM
I think it's a very movable contract. A guy with size and a shooter, two things that are always needed. For sure he needs to improve in a lot of areas but I think he will or else he won't be given this contract.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 01:05 PM
However, despite that I do think Gay will start the season on the SL, I'm not sure he will finish it there, tbh. Pop wasn't too keen on starting him last season. Only after Anderson completely shat the bed on the playoffs did Pop place Gay as a starter. And if the Spurs find another scorer to put on the SL (whether it is via a Kawhi trade or Kawhi just staying) it really doesn't make much sense to also have Gay on the starting lineup. So yeah, I doubt Gay's SL spot is guaranteed.

SpurPadre
07-09-2018, 01:06 PM
He's only still on the team cuz he reminds PATFO of Bonner, tbh.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Depth chart so far:

Murray - Mills - White
(Kawhi) - Manu - Paul
Bertans - Gay
Aldridge - Gasol

Which means the Spurs are probably filling the remaining spots with Summer league players. Metu, Blossomgame, Birmah, Putney.

tholdren
07-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Bertans is faster and has better metabolism than anderson and walker

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 01:26 PM
i hope contract danny rediscovers his 3 point shot...

Pavlov
07-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Bertans is white

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 01:28 PM
wow.. fml
Between Marco and this... You will go nuts next season.

tholdren
07-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Meeeeelllltttttddddoooowwwwnnnnnn

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 01:35 PM
He's only still on the team cuz he reminds PATFO of Bonner, tbh.
Imagine starting Bonner the next 4 seasons. I don't think guys would be happy with Spurs spending 4/20 mill on that...

Heavy said that, I do hope he's better. I never saw prime Bonner but I do hope Davis is better.

I don't want to see guys saying next season that Bertans wishes he was prime Red Mamba. ( and I saw comments like that this past season).

Pavlov
07-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Imagine starting Bonner the next 4 seasons. I don't think guys would be happy with Spurs spending 4/20 mill on that...

Heavy said that, I do hope he's better. I never saw prime Bonner but I do hope Davis is better.

I don't want to see guys saying next season that Bertans wishes he was prime Red Mamba. ( and I saw comments like that this past season).It's a fair deal for the player he is now.

Hopefully his defense raises to at least a Bonner level. That would turn the deal into a bargain.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 01:38 PM
I have been hoping that for 3 seasons. We may get November Danny. If he gets a groin injury its over ... :lol

Killakobe81
07-09-2018, 01:40 PM

Your answer makes no sense either. How does your example apply?
THE GUYS that signed Deng and Mozgof are in Charlotte or not in the Lakers front office.
I know it's dark times but you normally are better than that.

SAGirl
07-09-2018, 01:40 PM
It's a fair deal for the player he is now.

Hopefully his defense raises to at least a Bonner level. That would turn the deal into a bargain.
I think his shooting needs to trend up, too, but it really might. Playoffs meltdowns aside, Bonner always shot the ball at a high % in the RS, except that one time he said he got Tennis elbow and he was near the end already.

I really want him to shoot better.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Your answer makes no sense either. How does your example apply?
THE GUYS that signed Deng and Mozgof are in Charlotte or not in the Lakers front office.

Is the Buss family still involved? Because that is what matters.

Pavlov
07-09-2018, 01:42 PM
I think his shooting needs to trend up, too, but it really might. Playoffs meltdowns aside, Bonner always shot the ball at a high % in the RS, except that one time he said he got Tennis elbow and he was near the end already.

I really want him to shoot better.I can only hope his shooting gets better in the playoffs. His regular season shooting is fine.

Killakobe81
07-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Some ownership group that makes terrible decisions.

Facts say otherwise.
They shed the bad contracts of everyone except Deng. Signed LeBron and signed vets to one year deals except LeBron who was the top FA...
Lakers still haven't won anything but the moves made since Maginka took over have been pretty much aces across the board with an incomplete on Lonzo. KUZMA, Ingram Hart have been good to great picks. They won the Cavs trade and Brooklyn trade and the FA signings have been all cap savvy.

DPG21920
07-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Let’s just disagree that trading a #2 overall pick just to dump a contract and letting your best young player, the #7 pick walk for nothing is “savvy”.

On top of that, you use another #2 pick on a guy that is not only an issue off court (rap dis-tracks and his dad) but that you don’t really believe in enough to not bring in Rondo.

Then you let Brook Lopez walk so you can replace him with McGee while trying to do some hybrid of win now vs not win now?

hater
07-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Can’t rebound, can’t defend. :lobt2:

Neither can most our players

Good fit

Killakobe81
07-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Is the Buss family still involved? Because that is what matters.

Again look at the moves made since Maginka took over what does the ownership matter if competent people are making the basketball decisions? The most important choices an owner makes is hiring people to make the descions. So far Maginka have been highly competent.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Facts say otherwise.
They shed the bad contracts of everyone except Deng. Signed LeBron and signed vets to one year deals except LeBron who was the top FA...
Lakers still haven't won anything but the moves made since Maginka took over have been pretty much aces across the board with an incomplete on Lonzo. KUZMA, Ingram Hart have been good to great picks. They won the Cavs trade and Brooklyn trade and the FA signings have been all cap savvy.

Getting guys to agree to one year deals when you have Lebron and are in Los Angeles isn't that hard, tbh. The problem is the shit they got. Rondo, Stephenson, McGee. :lol

It's like they don't even know what type of players fit alongside Lebron, they are just getting semi-recognisible names.

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Let’s just disagree that trading a #2 overall pick just to dump a contract and letting your best young player, the #7 pick walk for nothing is “savvy”.

On top of that, you use another #2 pick on a guy that is not only an issue off court (rap dis-tracks and his dad) but that you don’t really believe in enough to not bring in Rondo.

Then you let Brook Lopez walk so you can replace him with McGee while trying to do some hybrid of win now vs not win now?
damn

Killakobe81
07-09-2018, 02:01 PM

Randle was a good player but not much better than Kyle Anderson for example but he was let go as a favor to his agent to help repair a bad relationship we had built with him.

D'Angelo was a sacrifice that I didn't like at the time but when you factor his knee issue and getting Lopez's cap space which was used to sign LeBron and pick that became Kuzma that was extremely savvy. RUSSELL has talent absolutely... But so does Lonzo so we should consider Zo a sunk cost after one year but it was a mistake to get rid of Russell? That doesn't make any sense.

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Could have given Bertans a 2 year deal, second year ungauranteed or a team option. This guy doesn't move the needle for the Spurs at all. He's completely expendable and The Spurs give him a 4 year deal worth 20M.

TekXX
07-09-2018, 02:03 PM
I'm ok with this, he's not afraid to shoot unlike Anderson.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Could have given Bertans a 2 year deal, second year ungauranteed or a team option. This guy doesn't move the needle for the Spurs at all. He's completely expendable and The Spurs give him a 4 year deal worth 20M.

lol son. Securing a role player on a cheap contract for 4 years isn't really a bad thing, tbh.

And if he performs at the way he should perform: being a 40% 3 pt shooter stretch 4, he will be a bargain.

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 02:07 PM
i'd rather sign bertans for 4/20 than 2/10.

after two years there's a pretty good chance he'll be valued more than 5/year

on the other hand, i dont think anderson will be valued at 9 mil two years from now

Killakobe81
07-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Getting guys to agree to one year deals when you have Lebron and are in Los Angeles isn't that hard, tbh. The problem is the shit they got. Rondo, Stephenson, McGee. :lol

It's like they don't even know what type of players fit alongside Lebron, they are just getting semi-recognisible names.

You guys just wanna spin shit because Kawhi just burnt down the Carter. You guys have no cap space and your best player wants out. You refused to match an offer to your 2nd best SF because you have Gasol and Mills signed to bad deals. Lakers that bad ownership tried to trade Pau over 5 summers ago might even be 6... You guys extended him last year...:lol
But PATFO can do no wrong... right?:wakeup

DAF86
07-09-2018, 02:11 PM
You guys just wanna spin shit because Kawhi just burnt down the Carter. You guys have no cap space and your best player wants out. You refused to match an offer to your 2nd best SF because you have Gasol and Mills signed to bad deals. Lakers that bad ownership tried to trade Pau over 5 summers ago might even be 6... You guys extended him last year...:lol
But PATFO can do no wrong... right?:wakeup

The Mills and Gasol contracts were bad, we said that. You are the only homer here trying to justify shitty moves, tbh.

Pavlov
07-09-2018, 02:12 PM
But PATFO can do no wrong... right?:wakeupAnderson wasn't a very good SF at all.

Holden_Caulfield
07-09-2018, 02:15 PM
5‰ of the salary cap for bertans is a solid deal. Especially since he's signed for 4 years. Even if he sucks it won't be that bad. A little funny that he currently is the only player signed past 2021

Killakobe81
07-09-2018, 02:16 PM
The Mills and Gasol contracts were bad, we said that. You are the only homer here trying to justify shitty moves, tbh.

Nope. Not justifying shitty ones. SAID Lonzo is an incomplete. I get cap space doesn't mean shit to yall because... you are not a Free Agent destination... But cap space is better than Randle or Russell tbh. Especially when it comes with a first rounder that becomes a solid piece like Kuzma or that space turns in to LeBron.

Looking at trading Mozgof and Russell for Lopez and a pick without considering the end game is myopic.

BTW if I was a Homer I would have defended the original Mozgof and Deng deals or the Kobe extension... I criticized all of those and the Byron Scott hiring... Guess what? ALL OF that was previous regime.

stu scotts eye
07-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Meeeeelllltttttddddoooowwwwnnnnnn

Broken record

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 02:19 PM
this will the last year of Duncan counting against the cap after having been stretched (he's been counting as 1.8 against the cap). assuming gasol is stretched after this season, he will count as 2.5 mil against the cap for the following 3 years, somewhat replacing duncan's cap hold

the only real burden at that point would be patty. aldridge would be making a ton, but he's earning it, so not really a burden. really glad they didnt bring parker back for 2/10 or somethin like that.

bertans earning 5, marco earning 6 won't be major cap hurdles. they'll have a good amount of flexibility, for what that's worth.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Nope. Not justifying shitty ones. SAID Lonzo is an incomplete. I get cap space doesn't mean shit to yall because... you are not a Free Agent destination... But cap space is better than Randle or Russell tbh. Especially when it comes with a first rounder that becomes a solid piece like Kuzma or that space turns in to LeBron.

Looking at trading Mozgof and Russell for Lopez and a pick without considering the end game is myopic.

BTW if I was a Homer I would have defended the original Mozgof and Deng deals or the Kobe extension... I criticized all of those and the Byron Scott hiring... Guess what? ALL OF that was previous regime.

If you consider swapping lottery picks for cap space good moves, then let's just save time and skip right to the "agree to disagree" part.

Spurtacular
07-09-2018, 02:23 PM
If he stops playing like Opy, I can see this working out. Not a backbreaker deal like Fathead match would've been at least.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2018, 02:25 PM
People are worked up over this?

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Lol

Last year was contract Danny as well.

DAF86
07-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Lol

Last year was contract Danny as well.

Not really, he knew he had the chance of opting in.

objective
07-09-2018, 02:44 PM
For those interested in what SA’s “reasonable” cap situation looks like next year after what we have currently (Rudy & Danny back, Bertans for 20M, letting Kyle go signing Beli to 2/12M):

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=12045290525b438e6742c73745726190

I define reasonable by stuff SA controls (meaning team options, ability to waive, non-guarantees). Even after all the moves SA has made and keeping Kawhi’s salaries on the books (unlikely, but still):

SA would have:

LMA
Kawhi
Mills
Beli
Bertans
Lonnie
White
Murray

So in keeping that in mind, if SA just does only what is in their control (so no having to trade to dump salary, etc..) and they waive all the cap holds for free agents (Danny, Rudy, everyone else), waive and stretch Pau and they keep Milutinov’s charge, they would have 21M in cap space with no other moves.

So a few things:

1) If they can trade Pau vs stretching him, they will net about another 2M in cap space. This can be EASILY accomplished since a team trading for Pau would only be eating 6M to get a 2nd round pick or something.

2) If they can trade Mills (not as easy probably) that cap space balloons up into max contract range.

3) Even if they can’t/won’t trade Mills/Pau, the Kawhi trade could easily take the team from 21M in cap space to far above it depending on the trade.

So worst case scenario you would still have LMA with some young guys in Bertans, Murray, Lonnie, White and a solid chunk of cap space to work with along with vets in Beli/Mills.

I'm pretty sure that partial guarantees and trades don't work like that anymore with Pau. That loophole was closed. I think the only way to get the benefit if to be traded the league year before the partial guarantee.

Also, with Kawhi having the opt out, even if he makes up and stays he'll still opt out and his cap hold will knock off another 10 million.

Best case then is only 12 million plus the room exception.

Killakobe81
07-09-2018, 02:45 PM
If you consider swapping lottery picks for cap space good moves, then let's just save time and skip right to the "agree to disagree" part.

Not all former lottery picks are created equal... MUDIAY, HEZONJA, OKAFOR ARE LOTTERY PICKS TOO.. SAmE Draft BUT WE GOT A FIRST AND SPACE FOR OURS... Rest of those guys actually walked for NADA or traded for peanuts like Oak.
So this place calls Russell Dbust, but yet trading him for a first rounder and shedding one of the worst contracts in recent FA is not a smart move?
KAWHI got u Niccas so shook you are shitting on previous takes...

Hoops Czar
07-09-2018, 02:48 PM
lol son. Securing a role player on a cheap contract for 4 years isn't really a bad thing, tbh.

And if he performs at the way he should perform: being a 40% 3 pt shooter stretch 4, he will be a bargain.

I hear ya.... Let me just say that he was barely better than Danny Green at shooting three's last season

Green .363
Bertans .373

and then he just fell on his sword in the postseason ( 3 for 18)

Unlike Danny Green, Bertans' only asset is shooting and when he's not knocking down shots in prolific fashion, he is a complete liability on a basketball court.