PDA

View Full Version : Trump’s delusions are about to blow up in his own voters’ faces

RandomGuy
07-09-2018, 03:52 PM
So now that we are in a trade war, the focus of how the Chinese settled on tariffs is pretty clear.

Nearly two-thirds of the jobs in industries targeted by China’s tariffs — a total of more than 1 million jobs — are in more than 2,100 counties that voted for Trump. By contrast, barely more than one-third of the jobs in China-targeted industries — just over half a million — are in the counties that voted for Clinton. (This is based on 2017 county/employment data.) This doesn’t mean those jobs will definitely be lost; it means that they are in industries that are getting caught up in Trump’s trade war, making them vulnerable, depending on what happens.

China’s retaliatory tariffs are mainly aimed at U.S. exports of agricultural and food products such as soybeans, cereal, seafood, meats, fruits and nuts, and dairy, as well as intermediate goods and transport equipment, including vehicles.

Mark Muro, a senior fellow at Brookings who compiled this data, tells me that the jobs targeted by Chinese tariffs include well over 200,000 in poultry processing; nearly 140,000 in other animal slaughtering; over 120,000 in automobile manufacturing; and tens of thousands apiece in industries involving the manufacture of light trucks, utility vehicles and construction machinery, among others. As maps compiled by The Post show, many of these industries are concentrated in the Midwestern heartland and in the South.

The rub here, Muro tells me, is that China’s new retaliatory tariffs actually go further in targeting red counties than its previously threatened list did. “These tariffs will touch down in very specific places,” Muro said. “They appear calculated to have that effect. In its final iteration the list became significantly more rural and agricultural and red.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/07/09/trumps-delusions-are-about-to-blow-up-in-his-own-voters-faces
Infographic here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/business/china-tariff-jobs

A bit more on some of the specifics:
https://piie.com/blogs/trade-investment-policy-watch/chinas-retaliation-trumps-tariffs

RandomGuy
07-09-2018, 05:06 PM
“We appeal our American interlocutors to be credible and consistent,” Li Kexin, minister at the Chinese embassy in Washington, said in a recent speech – suggesting China sees Team Trump’s posture as neither credible nor consistent.

Chinese aren't even sure what we want.

China knows what it wants out of these bilateral negotiations; the White House plainly does not. Trump officials have offered shifting and at times contradictory demands and objectives, further complicated by administration infighting, public turf wars, reversals, retractions and clumsy errors. In short: Over here on Team USA, it’s been amateur hour.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trade-war-trump-doesnt-appear-know-what-hes-doing

First step in any negotiation is letting someone know what you want.

Doesn't seem like we are doing that, indicating this will escalate further.

leemajors
07-09-2018, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't count on anything blowing up in his face. They will just keep swallowing the bs.

sickdsm
07-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Sounds like foreign countries meddling in US politics, affecting elections. Surely your outraged at this?

DMX7
07-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Sounds like foreign countries meddling in US politics, affecting elections. Surely your outraged at this?

I wouldn't count on anything blowing up in his face. They will just keep swallowing the bs.

SnakeBoy
07-09-2018, 09:12 PM

dabom
07-09-2018, 10:13 PM

Almost like orange shit stain started it. :lmao

I don't see you calling him an orange piece of shit. :lol

baseline bum
07-09-2018, 10:22 PM

He could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and he wouldn't lose his voters.

hater
07-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Bendover Ill show you blowing up in a voters face

ducks
07-09-2018, 10:31 PM
40 percent of the country are die hard liberals
40 percent of the country are die hard conservatives
20 percent are either indecent or vote both parties

leemajors
07-09-2018, 11:16 PM
40 percent of the country are die hard liberals
40 percent of the country are die hard conservatives
20 percent are either indecent or vote both parties

Sure. Super indecent.

sickdsm
07-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Pointing out the excitement the posters get on here from foreign political influence when it suits them makes me a low iq Cheeto fan? Uhhhh,ok. I'm doing better than 90% of the idiots on here that somehow are supposed to be the smart savvy Americans. Check the scoreboard.

sickdsm
07-10-2018, 08:28 AM

Verification of mental stability in your eyes is calling him a piece of shit. Imagine you had that conversation IRL.

boutons_deux
07-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Verification of mental stability in your eyes is calling him a piece of shit. Imagine you had that conversation IRL.

sicko Trash is garbage, a piece of shit, a traitor, a Russian intelligence asset

sickdsm
07-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Googled and I couldn't find the political faction that the tariffs were deliberately targeting in the Chinese government. What one was that again?

RandomGuy
07-10-2018, 09:28 AM

Mildly, but not by much. It is a trade war, and one we started.

Such deliberate economic targeting doesn't really strike at the heart of democracy, like the Russian disinformation campaigns designed to support their preferred candidate/party. Informed voting based on free exchange of information is directly threatened by the lies at the core of Russian efforts. That is vastly more dangerous, IMO.

RandomGuy
07-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Pointing out the excitement the posters get on here from foreign political influence when it suits them makes me a low iq Cheeto fan? Uhhhh,ok. I'm doing better than 90% of the idiots on here that somehow are supposed to be the smart savvy Americans. Check the scoreboard.

False equivalence is what happens when you are led to believe that two things should be given equal weight in your considerations as you come to any given decision, while those two things are not in any way actually equivalent.

I think you are attempting to make two unequal things equal, because it suits you. That doesn't imply intelligence. It implies either a lack of understanding of how things might or might not be equal or a willingness to deceive.

Lack of understanding we can work through by discussion. The other, not so much, but will become readily obvious in short order if that is your purpose.

Blake
07-10-2018, 10:34 AM

boutons_deux
07-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Heard an IA farmer on NPR saying commodities prices, like his corn and soy, are already very low, so Trash's bullshit trade war comes at the worst possible time.

koriwhat
07-10-2018, 07:50 PM
lol. Nothing but a low iq trumper.

Why do you support Russia interference? Why are swallowing the cock of treason like spurt and calf tats at a truck stop?

Lmao at this future mass murderer bonerIFIC. What a fucking nut.

koriwhat
07-10-2018, 07:52 PM
Heard an IA farmer on NPR saying commodities prices, like his corn and soy, are already very low, so Trash's bullshit trade war comes at the worst possible time.

Lets all cry because the chinese death grip is loosening and now they'll have to play fair or sell thei cheap shit back to their $1/day employees.

What a bunch of loser ass commies yall are.

AaronY
07-10-2018, 07:52 PM
This guy Tom Nichols who I follow on twitter keeps posting links to people who are being hurt by tariffs directly saying they still support even if it costs them their job or business lol

AaronY
07-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Lets all cry because the chinese death grip is loosening and now they'll have to play fair or sell thei cheap shit back to their $1/day employees.

What a bunch of loser ass commies yall are.
Loolmao at your understanding of economics

sickdsm
07-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Ancedote good now.

sickdsm
07-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Mildly, but not by much. It is a trade war, and one we started.

Such deliberate economic targeting doesn't really strike at the heart of democracy, like the Russian disinformation campaigns designed to support their preferred candidate/party. Informed voting based on free exchange of information is directly threatened by the lies at the core of Russian efforts. That is vastly more dangerous, IMO.

Appreciate your directness. You are one of the very few on this board that actually responds to a comment without deflecting. Trump started trade war but do you see the irony in that the left wing now supports Canada, China, etc enforcing policy that it's allegedly based on swaying elections?

For the record since most of this board is chicken shit to either carry on a conversation or to disclose their occupation/background. I didn't vote for Trump. No way was I going to be a part of that. I most certainly was not going to vote for Hillary. Would have taken a closer look at Bernie prior to him getting cucked than her. I genuinely think anyone that voted for her is fucked in the head and they are part of the situation we are in now because they supported a horrible candidate that gave us no other viable option. I don't agree with tariffs, they are there and always have been to some extent. I do deal in an industry that it's been widely known that the Chinese don't Play fair An easy example for the non ag community to understand is my Chinese water pump I use in my spray tender. 1/4 of the price of a Honda but it's a clone. I can take Honda internal parts and rebuild it. They are the same level as shady on almost all issues.

sickdsm
07-11-2018, 10:15 AM
I think you are attempting to make two unequal things equal, because it suits you. That doesn't imply intelligence. It implies either a lack of understanding of how things might or might not be equal or a willingness to deceive.

Lack of understanding we can work through by discussion. The other, not so much, but will become readily obvious in short order if that is your purpose.

My response was directed at the low iq comments. Most of this board throws blind darts like that without looking at accomplishments. The first ten years of my career I was always second and third guessing my decisions. After I while I got confident enough because of my past actions and results to use that as a strength. Dan Marino and others had a low wonderlic score. By halfway through his career his past accomplishments were more than enough to discredit anyone.

How do you think someone like Warren Buffet continued to hold that much clout? Because of his prior actions. That's scoreboard.

hater
07-11-2018, 10:30 AM
I disagree about anyone voting for Shitlery is fucked in the head.

It was the trendy and safe thing to do when you had lunatic obnoxious Trump on the other side. I have lots of business partners and friends and family that voted for her. I understand what they did.

The real culprits in this fuckup were the media, deep state and DNC. They are the ones who got Trump elected. They fucked over Bernie and were laughing at the prospect of redneck america going towards Trump.

Regular americans were duped.

I do agree that anyone that still supports Shitlery, the DNC or the deep state anti trump hoaxes is fucked in the head. Reqlly really fucked in the head

boutons_deux
07-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Ancedote good now.

a first hand anecdote from someone directly affected "on the ground", an IA farmer, among other farmers.

do you have better?

monosylab1k
07-11-2018, 10:39 AM
I didn't vote for Trump.

Amazing how nobody on this forum voted for Trump, yet he still has an army of semen shielders here.

boutons_deux
07-11-2018, 10:43 AM
" the left wing now supports Canada, China, etc enforcing policy that it's allegedly based on swaying elections?"

what?

sickdsm
07-12-2018, 12:52 PM
" the left wing now supports Canada, China, etc enforcing policy that it's allegedly based on swaying elections?"

what?

What part did you not understand?

sickdsm
07-12-2018, 12:55 PM
a first hand anecdote from someone directly affected "on the ground", an IA farmer, among other farmers.

do you have better?

Listening to a guy on NPR is more on the ground than my own personal professional experience? If only I was a farmer than I could have some weight behind my opinions.........

Imagine this scenario. Instead of a far leftist, Bou is far right.

"I watched Fox news and they had a black cop from LA on there claiming that police brutality doesn't exist and they treat everyone equal. So that's about as first hand, on the ground as you can get. "

....as he's arguing with the black guys that live in Compton.......

sickdsm
07-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Amazing how nobody on this forum voted for Trump, yet he still has an army of semen shielders here.

Kindly reference any post where I ever claimed to have voted for him. I've never waivered from being Libertarian leaning.

Things the left wing spur talk crowd has in common.

1. Claim everyone is pro Trump.
2. Claim that anyone stating that they are independent secretly is racist, ignorant, and a registered straight party line republican.
2. Never respond directly and completely to a reply
3. Never disclose occupation or background (Probably students or government employees TBH)

monosylab1k
07-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Kindly reference any post where I ever claimed to have voted for him. I've never waivered from being Libertarian leaning.

2. Claim that anyone stating that they are independent secretly is racist, ignorant, and a registered straight party line republican.
3. Never disclose occupation or background (Probably students or government employees TBH)

You put point 2 twice, little buddy :lmao calm down and breathe before posting, and retarded errors like that won’t happen.

monosylab1k
07-12-2018, 01:29 PM

5. If this is your first time, you have to fight.

sickdsm
07-12-2018, 07:45 PM
You put point 2 twice, little buddy :lmao calm down and breathe before posting, and retarded errors like that won’t happen.
Or it could be that I'm working and posting on the road. Not that ST understands anything about that situation........

monosylab1k
07-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Or it could be that I'm working and posting on the road.

You wake up at Seatac, SFO, LAX. You wake up at O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, BWI. Pacific, mountain, central. Lose an hour, gain an hour. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. You wake up at Air Harbor International. If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

AaronY
07-12-2018, 10:53 PM
I work as a programmer but im kind of crap at it tbh so I mainly do search engine evaluation working from home and other stuff.

there rare insight to the job of a leftwing person

Chucho
07-12-2018, 11:36 PM

Pretty accurate sans RG and 21. But a lot of it is troll game with the others, tbh.

sickdsm
07-13-2018, 08:57 PM
I work as a programmer but im kind of crap at it tbh so I mainly do search engine evaluation working from home and other stuff.

Awesome. Consider you independent if that matters.

spurraider21
07-13-2018, 09:02 PM

i work at the same firm i was with as a law clerk before i passed the bar. happen to have a lot more freedom/privacy to fuck around given that i've moved into an office now :lol

rmt
07-13-2018, 09:09 PM
i work at the same firm i was with as a law clerk before i passed the bar. happen to have a lot more freedom/privacy to fuck around given that i've moved into an office now :lol

Pardon the unsolicited advice - the way to climb the (salary) ladder is to switch jobs. I wouldn't recommend staying at the same place unless you've got a nice fat pension waiting for you or you're the boss' son-in-law :-)