PDA

View Full Version : bad news for hbo

gambit1990
07-09-2018, 06:02 PM
at&t wants them to push out more content and compete with mobile.

AT&T warns HBO employees of a "tough" first year under AT&T ownership.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/att-wants-to-overhaul-hbo-says-it-isnt-profitable-enough/

leemajors
07-09-2018, 06:19 PM
HBO has made nearly $6 billion in profit over the past three years, while devoting more than $2 billion a year to programming, the article said.

HBO has 40 million subscribers in the US and 142 million worldwide, but Stankey said that AT&T intends to make HBO "a much more common product."

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 06:26 PM
as long as they dont fuck with game of thrones i dont care so much

ohmwrecker
07-09-2018, 08:18 PM

GOT has like 6 more episodes and it’s over.

spurraider21
07-09-2018, 08:48 PM
yep. they're supposed to be ridiculously long though... sayin some of them are gona be as long as 2 hours

leemajors
07-09-2018, 11:23 PM
yep. they're supposed to be ridiculously long though... sayin some of them are gona be as long as 2 hours

they just wrapped shooting.

SnakeBoy
07-09-2018, 11:42 PM

and bloody

JMarkJohns
07-09-2018, 11:54 PM
Means more one season fishing expeditions for a profitable venture like Sex And The City, and quicker cancelations of shows like The Wire or Leftovers that need some time and word of mouth, and no-go’s on shows like Oz.

I expect more comedies because they are cheaper and easier to accept meh if the topics are pointed.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2018, 05:48 AM
more dramas, and less reality tv shows pls

Reck
07-10-2018, 08:07 AM
they just wrapped shooting.

Cunty Maisie Williams and Lena Heady thought it was a good idea to spoil parts of the overall ending.

Reck
07-10-2018, 08:08 AM

I thought they greenlit a Game of Thrones prequel?

InRareForm
07-10-2018, 09:42 AM
If it ain't broke why fix it.

Stupid att

leemajors
07-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Cunty Maisie Williams and Lena Heady thought it was a good idea to spoil parts of the overall ending.

meh, it's been a slog for a while.

hater
07-10-2018, 11:08 AM
:lmao adult males liking shows about dragons :lmao

DJR210
07-10-2018, 03:21 PM

GoT itself may be ending, but the spinoffs explaining the different houses histories in better detail are surely coming at some point.. Hopefully AT&T doesn't turn this franchise into a whore like Disney's Star Wars and start pumping out all of this sub par cash grab bullshit.

DJR210
07-10-2018, 03:23 PM

I tried my best to put GoT into the fairies and whimsical bullshit category and write it off as pop culture, but the show is that good. 3 episodes is all it took.

spurraider21
07-10-2018, 03:25 PM
:lmao you thought trump was alpha for liking shows about gorillas :lmao

Darth_Pelican
07-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Speaking of HBO, did anyone catch the mini-series premiere of Sharp Objects on Sunday? It has potential.

leemajors
07-10-2018, 03:31 PM
GoT itself may be ending, but the spinoffs explaining the different houses histories in better detail are surely coming at some point.. Hopefully AT&T doesn't turn this franchise into a whore like Disney's Star Wars and start pumping out all of this sub par cash grab bullshit.

that's exactly what they will do. I wish Tales from the Crypt was on HBO Now tho.

leemajors
07-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Speaking of HBO, did anyone catch the mini-series premiere of Sharp Objects on Sunday. It has potential.

I am gonna watch it, I like Flynn's books.

Reck
07-10-2018, 04:24 PM
I tried my best to put GoT into the fairies and whimsical bullshit category and write it off as pop culture, but the show is that good. 3 episodes is all it took.

Yeah they're going to ride the cottails of the huge success that was Game of Thrones. Whatever new spinnoffs will not have the same quality. Not sure HBO would want to shell out the same money anyway. GoT is extremely expensive and pirates like us won't buy their shit outright. :lol

gambit1990
07-10-2018, 06:06 PM
how long until at&t doesn't like what bill maher has to say and he gets canned?

benefactor
07-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Speaking of HBO, did anyone catch the mini-series premiere of Sharp Objects on Sunday? It has potential.
Yep...I'm down:tu

Chucho
07-11-2018, 01:31 AM
how long until at&t doesn't like what bill maher has to say and he gets canned?

Maher's a faggot. Should have been canned long ago. Not sure there was ever a person who wasnt as smart as they thought they were in the history of faux intellect.

InRareForm
07-11-2018, 06:52 PM

Good acting.. but the first episode didn't intrigue me much. I couldn't find a character to root for. I will give it a few more episodes maybe it will get better

Spurminator
07-12-2018, 11:10 AM
This doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. HBO has great content but they're still stuck, for whatever reason, in the mindset that all of their content has to originate on live television, which limits the amount of content they can provide. Netflix, on the other hand, produces a shit ton of content because they don't worry about whether they can fit all of it into a 24 hour / 7 day time frame. This also gives them the flexibility to be patient with niche shows that develop a small but passionate audience.

Ten years ago, HBO could have been Netflix if they'd had the foresight to rebrand themselves as a media vehicle instead of just a channel. They're still a strong #2 (and their content is easily #1) but they could be even bigger. The obvious next step is to start releasing some shows all at once instead of episodically, and limit some of those shows to digital subscribers (not any of the big established ones, but new second-tier shows).

Chucho
07-12-2018, 11:14 AM
This doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. HBO has great content but they're still stuck, for whatever reason, in the mindset that all of their content has to originate on live television, which limits the amount of content they can provide. Netflix, on the other hand, produces a shit ton of content because they don't worry about whether they can fit all of it into a 24 hour / 7 day time frame. This also gives them the flexibility to be patient with niche shows that develop a small but passionate audience.

Ten years ago, HBO could have been Netflix if they'd had the foresight to rebrand themselves as a media vehicle instead of just a channel. They're still a strong #2 (and their content is easily #1) but they could be even bigger. The obvious next step is to start releasing shows all at once instead of episodically.

Yes and yes. I don't get too much into drama series as I have a short attention span and little time, but without HBO, the impact that A list movie quality TV/steam series on today's viewing audience wouldn't exist. I am re-watching Sopranos after having introduced it to the wife (Who is a typical binge watcher of the times) and HBO is probably the most influential content producer in television history.

Spurminator
07-12-2018, 11:17 AM
I should say, this is AT&T we're talking about so I wouldn't be totally surprised if they fucked HBO up by nickel and diming the content. We're talking about the leading communications company in the world and their website looks like it hasn't been updated since 2002.

Chucho
07-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Justice Department just appealed the TW-ATT merger! Crazy, but gives hope that these modern monopolies start getting cracked down on.

07-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Just watched it. I'm not sold yet but I'm intrigued tbh

InRareForm
07-17-2018, 10:47 AM
2nd episode of sharp objects was better. I will keep watching

Spurminator
07-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Yeah it's interesting. I could see being disappointed with it by the time the season's finished but I'm planning to keep up with it.

07-17-2018, 08:33 PM
Same tbh

Darth_Pelican
07-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I’m intrigued to see how her sister died and if the current murders are somehow related. It’s only an 8 episode miniseries so it’s not that big of a commitment.

Spurtacular
07-18-2018, 12:53 AM

Last six episodes are already a done deal pretty much. I guess they could fuck up the spinoffs.

08-01-2018, 06:21 AM
Latest episode of SO was great imho tbh

benefactor
08-01-2018, 07:43 AM
^Dammit. Need to catch up. I'll watch it tonight.

leemajors
08-01-2018, 09:10 AM
I keep watching Succession but I am not sure if I like it all that much. Will watch Sharp Objects when all the eps are up.

benefactor
08-01-2018, 09:31 AM
I keep watching Succession but I am not sure if I like it all that much. Will watch Sharp Objects when all the eps are up.
I get that same feeling from it. I've caught a couple of episodes and it seems like it should be better than it is.

Xevious
08-01-2018, 01:22 PM
HBO finally greenlit a Deadwood movie. :tu

paperboy77
08-01-2018, 07:55 PM
HBO finally greenlit a Deadwood movie. :tu

Seriously? That would be pretty awesome. Make up for that shitty ending hopefully.

Spurminator
08-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Yeah it's interesting. I could see being disappointed with it by the time the season's finished but I'm planning to keep up with it.

Glad I stuck with it (Sharp Objects). Show is fucking great.

Quadzilla99
08-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Gorilla TV fan chiming in

:lmao

:lmao :lmao :lmao

LaMarcus Bryant
08-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Sharp Objects is killing it.

That chick knows how to write some fucked up and entertaining stories :tu

08-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Glad I stuck with it (Sharp Objects). Show is fucking great.
Yep, hopefully the finale tonight doesn't disappoint tbh

mrsmaalox
08-26-2018, 01:21 PM
I think one of the old dudes, Alan or the Chief, is gonna off Adora and himself. There’s gotta be some weird romantic triangle with them. I also want to know what was going on when Camille followed Amma to the pig farm and saw her enter the door with someone :wow

Darth_Pelican
08-26-2018, 09:12 PM
:wow That finale, and the mid credit scene. Good stuff

Reck
10-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Sharp Objects was solid. 4 boring, super slow episodes and 4 great ones to cap it off.

Nice payoff.