PDA

View Full Version : Sheridan: All in all, Philadelphia as Landing Zone for Pau Gasol makes sense

PuzzBeterson
07-11-2018, 08:40 AM
And what I am hearing is that a trade scenario that would send Gasol to the 76ers is very much in play as one of the various Kawhi Leonard deals being pondered by the San Antonio Spurs.

https://www.getmoresports.com/sheridan-philadelphia-landing-zone-pau-gasol-makes-sense/

DPG21920
07-11-2018, 08:41 AM
So SA will trade with PHI, but not get Fultz, doesn’t want Covington and will only get one pick :lol? Sounds great!

Spurs9
07-11-2018, 08:43 AM
:danceclub:danceclub

K...
07-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Nice, this the the done deal thread of the day

Namundy
07-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Is Wilson Chandler eligible to be redirected to SA? That's $12M of expiring in the form of a decent wing player (granted I haven't watched him in a few years and he could be trending down). You could maybe throw in Dario Saric and/or Justin Anderson combined with all the picks and come up with a package. It's definitely not ideal but I think Pop/RC want to work with a front office they trust and definitely don't want to see Kawhi in the West. Is Philly willing to just absorb salaries? I don't see who else we could get to match up.

Dex
07-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Nice, this the the done deal thread of the day

https://media.tenor.com/images/6d82d07cc085e08ae319c6fa00bc34bc/tenor.gif

CGD
07-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Yes, Wilson can be redirected without waiting the period that FA have to wait since they traded for him.

So in a Fultz+Saric+Heat Pick deal, they can take Wilson over RoCo instead.

Namundy
07-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Yes, Wilson can be redirected without waiting the period that FA have to wait since they traded for him.

Nice. I hope that's the path they follow. I still don't think they're giving up Fultz though.

CGD
07-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Nice. I hope that's the path they follow. I still don't think they're giving up Fultz though.

With the investment/hype of DJ, I also don’t think the spurs actually want Fultz either and using the insistence on him to get more picks/assets.

Like I think they land on Saric/RoCo and send over 2 picks, and 2 young assets (Turkish kid and a stash).

szkorhetz
07-11-2018, 09:25 AM
I would much rather have Covington than Wilson, TBH.
Younger, Much better defender, longer, better rebounder. Both are very limited offensively but I would rahter have a capable three point shooter than an over the hill slasher.

Namundy
07-11-2018, 09:32 AM
I would much rather have Covington than Wilson, TBH.
Younger, Much better defender, longer, better rebounder. Both are very limited offensively but I would rahter have a capable three point shooter than an over the hill slasher.

I like Roco as a player, but I think we need the flexibility. His contract is four years guaranteed. Seems like we are somewhat prioritizing cap flexibility now.

look_at_g_shred
07-11-2018, 09:43 AM
With the investment/hype of DJ, I also don’t think the spurs actually want Fultz either and using the insistence on him to get more picks/assets.

Like I think they land on Saric/RoCo and send over 2 picks, and 2 young assets (Turkish kid and a stash).
Good point that I think no one thinks about. Bringing Fultz over would stunt DJ's growth and add an even bigger log jam at the guard position. Sure it's easy to think the spurs would be crazy to not take fultz back if we are dealing Kawhi but you have to think..do we really need Fultz? If the shooting problem is a real thing for Fultz, why would we create a backcourt that can't shoot? Maybe that's why we let Tony go. I do believe our starting guards next season will be White/Murray. So trading Kawhi to Philly without getting fultz makes sense because 1. you are doing business with people you trust and 2. because there is a rapport there, they might be able to help you out long term with picks and short term by taking back a bad contract (mills or gasol)

Spurs9
07-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Good point that I think no one thinks about. Bringing Fultz over would stunt DJ's growth and add an even bigger log jam at the guard position. Sure it's easy to think the spurs would be crazy to not take fultz back if we are dealing Kawhi but you have to think..do we really need Fultz? If the shooting problem is a real thing for Fultz, why would we create a backcourt that can't shoot? Maybe that's why we let Tony go. I do believe our starting guards next season will be White/Murray. So trading Kawhi to Philly without getting fultz makes sense because 1. you are doing business with people you trust and 2. because there is a rapport there, they might be able to help you out long term with picks and short term by taking back a bad contract (mills or gasol)

There could always be a 3rd team involved with Philly too if the Spurs feel they can't get what they wan't from Philly if they don't want Fultz back.

KDKSpurs24
07-11-2018, 09:53 AM
I’m gonna need Fultz in that deal. More people need to be able to playmake on the team. They’d be dumb to not see that they can plug Fultz in at the 2 and handle the ball a lot. I personally see him as being able to play a young Dwayne Wade role from that position.

szkorhetz
07-11-2018, 09:55 AM
I’m gonna need Fultz in that deal. More people need to be able to playmake on the team. They’d be dumb to not see that they can plug Fultz in at the 2 and handle the ball a lot. I personally see him as being able to play a young Dwayne Wade role from that position.
Agreed. If we deal with Philly and we don't get Fultz back, I am out.

DJ-White-Fultz-Walker for 2 positions isn't that bad. Mills has to be traded, though.

Dverde
07-11-2018, 09:56 AM
I would do the Kawhi/Gasol for Saric/Wilson Chandler or Covington. Throw in one of their mediocre draft picks for next year. Spurs won’t trade Gasol. I could see them tossing in Danny Green instead.

KDKSpurs24
07-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Agreed. If we deal with Philly and we don't get Fultz back, I am out.

DJ-White-Fultz-Walker for 2 positions isn't that bad. Mills has to be traded, though.
Yes would definitely have to trade Mills and I think it would all work out.

exstatic
07-11-2018, 10:08 AM

I don't get the "we don't need Fultz" thing. Having a stable full of young guard prospects is never a bad thing. The situation will sort itself out. It's not likely that they all prosper, so you then know who to move on from. If they do all blow up, then you have assets to flip for future picks or other players. You shouldn't foreclose options based on position. You can always sort that out later. Fultz is a clear case of buy low.

Spurs9
07-11-2018, 10:13 AM
I would do the Kawhi/Gasol for Saric/Wilson Chandler or Covington. Throw in one of their mediocre draft picks for next year. Spurs won’t trade Gasol. I could see them tossing in Danny Green instead.

Thats a terrible deal for a player some regard as a "top5" player.

BatManu20
07-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Pau or Patty better be a part of any Kawhi deal.

cutewizard
07-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Who shall be our center then?

Fusternino
07-11-2018, 10:34 AM

This. Way too much false equivalency between the Gasol and Mills contracts going around. At least Gasol fills a position of need, is a complete offensive player who can do things other than shoot, and can at least defend sometimes-at the rim.

KDKSpurs24
07-11-2018, 10:42 AM
I don't get the "we don't need Fultz" thing. Having a stable full of young guard prospects is never a bad thing. The situation will sort itself out. It's not likely that they all prosper, so you then know who to move on from. If they do all blow up, then you have assets to flip for future picks or other players. You shouldn't foreclose options based on position. You can always sort that out later. Fultz is a clear case of buy low.

KDKSpurs24
07-11-2018, 10:43 AM

kobyz
07-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Maybe kawhi trying to fool spurs and he's indeed plan to sign extension with sixers...

Chucho
07-11-2018, 11:20 AM

NickiRasgo
07-11-2018, 11:21 AM

They can still get Fultz and trades him to another team.

Dverde
07-11-2018, 11:50 AM
You’re not going to get top 5 value. He has one year left, crappy management, injuries. Idiots thinking we going to get Tatum or Simmons.

SpursforSix
07-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Man, how much would Gasol hate that. Seems like he likes playing for SA. Then having to go to Philly and be in the locker room with Leonard.

BackHome
07-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Forbes

NASpurs
07-11-2018, 12:04 PM
No offense but Sheridan is such a trash source. Might as well quote the Pinoy Marauder while we’re at it.

Dex
07-11-2018, 12:06 PM

We can put Forbes in some moon shoes.

gambit1990
07-11-2018, 12:07 PM
i wanted pau to be a part of the kawhi deal... but now i’m thinking i’d just prefer more/better assets instead of a team taking on gasol’s contract.

he’ll be an expiring next year. and this year he won’t look as bad now that he won’t have to share the floor with tony and kyle.

Spurs4#5
07-11-2018, 12:46 PM
At this point I’d rather keep gasol over mills. Not just for the fact we’re limited on true big men already, but I’ve always been a firm believer that nba players tend to play better in a contract year and since gasol has said he wants to keep on playing I could see him being even more efficient this year and stepping it up since his contract isn’t fully guaranteed next year

DAF86
07-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I don't know how much sense does it make to trade away Gasol now.

DPG21920
07-11-2018, 12:50 PM
It makes sense to move Gasol since it saves 6M in space next year (or 2M a year over 3 year) but only if it doesn’t change what picks you get in a Kawhi deal.

rascal
07-11-2018, 12:50 PM
They can still get Fultz and trades him to another team.

Get Fultz and trade him to Phoenix for Bridges. The Spurs need to get a 3rd team in a trade for KL.

Bridges, Saric and the Miami 2021 pick for KL is a good trade for the Spurs and is about as good as you are going to get for KL.

TheCerebral1
07-11-2018, 12:57 PM
If we're settling for re-signing our bench cannon fodder like Belinelli, Forbes etc then go ahead and get rid of Gasol.

Mr. Body
07-11-2018, 01:05 PM
I don't expect the Spurs to trade Gasol. Despite his salary and whatever, he plays a role on this team and doesn't look easily replaced right now. He also takes pressure off Aldridge inside - who, remember, doesn't relish playing the C.

tholdren
07-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Spurs dont want fultz. But if it gets rid of pau they may.

tholdren
07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
I don't expect the Spurs to trade Gasol. Despite his salary and whatever, he plays a role on this team and doesn't look easily replaced right now. He also takes pressure off Aldridge inside - who, remember, doesn't relish playing the C.

Lollolololololol. Please explain his role

Captivus
07-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Send Gasol and his pussy ass with Kawhi to the same team.

cd021
07-11-2018, 01:44 PM

Why would the Spurs take Chandler over Covington, who is much better and on a dirt cheap deal?

Keepin' it real
07-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Bring over Malotov!!!

cd021
07-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Get Fultz and trade him to Phoenix for Bridges. The Spurs need to get a 3rd team in a trade for KL.

Bridges, Saric and the Miami 2021 pick for KL is a good trade for the Spurs and is about as good as you are going to get for KL.

Phoenix likes Bridges enough to randomly trade one of the better future draft assets in the Miami pick plus Smith for him, they wouldn't move him and Philly sounds hell-bent on keeping Fultz.

cd021
07-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Covington, Saric, Chandler, Bayless, Miami 2021 unprotected first round pick, Philly's 2019 and 2021 first round picks, and Bolden for Kawhi and Gasol?

slick'81
07-11-2018, 02:43 PM
If only we could dump patty or pau

cutewizard
07-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Bring over Malotov!!!

You meant Milutinov surely?

cutewizard
07-11-2018, 07:40 PM
If only we could dump patty or pau

We have a profusion of guards.....eject !Mills

TimDunkem
07-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Milutinov will never be a Spur. Another thrown away pick.

spurraider21
07-11-2018, 07:59 PM
but he's really good at throwing down 2 handed dunks against 6'8 euro centers

cutewizard
07-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Covington, Saric, Chandler, Bayless, Miami 2021 unprotected first round pick, Philly's 2019 and 2021 first round picks, and Bolden for Kawhi and Gasol?

Philly might not agree, thats too much....

Namundy
07-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Why would the Spurs take Chandler over Covington, who is much better and on a dirt cheap deal?

Future cap flexibility.

Keepin' it real
07-11-2018, 10:12 PM

Why?? He's a future all-star!!!

cutewizard
07-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Spurstalk about to burst

cutewizard
07-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Spurstalk about to burst

With the impending Kawhi news lol

BackHome
07-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Bring Nikola over Rc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNT Eagles 2016
07-12-2018, 12:22 AM
I hear he wants to go to philly to play with the Eagles for free

He can be a backup offensive lineman or something in case Jason Peters inevitably gets hurt or Lane Johnson's steroids make his balls explode like a Muslim in a crowded place.

cd021
07-12-2018, 12:58 AM
Future cap flexibility.

Covington is on one of the best deals in the league, a starting SF who can is a 3 and D making only about 10℅ of the cap, each of the next four years.

Players like that probably make $15-20 million a season going forward, Spurs sound absolutely take Covington

cd021
07-12-2018, 01:01 AM
Philly might not agree, thats too much....

Why? That is what multiple reports have suggested the asking price is.

(Covington, Saric, and 3 firsts)
Chandler and more trade filler would have to be included to make a Kawhi and Gasol trade work.

FireMicoHalili
07-12-2018, 05:58 AM
No offense but Sheridan is such a trash source. Might as well quote the Pinoy Marauder while we’re at it.
He’s the one who broke news of LeBron coming back to Cleveland, but at this point it seems like they’re all just venturing guesses, hope to get it right, and claim credit for breaking the news first.