PDA

View Full Version : NBA crackdown: Let's don't do the flop aka Manu's Law

MajicMan
10-22-2005, 02:52 PM
NBA crackdown: Let's don't do the flop

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted October 12 2005

MIAMI · While Monday's exhibition opener basically was a meaningless exercise, what preceded that game against the Spurs was not.

Hours before the Heat's 103-101 victory, the team met with veteran NBA referee Bennett Salvatore to discuss this season's officiating points of emphasis.

Among the topics was closer scrutiny on players who embellish the appearance of contact when attempting to draw charging fouls.

Previously, three things could happen on such a play: the offensive player could be called for a charging foul, the defensive player could be called for a blocking foul, or the referee could allow play to continue.

This season, the latter option more often will be called as a defensive foul if the referee believes the defender "flopped," that is, fell without legitimate contact.

Considering the Heat works relentlessly on drawing charging fouls, with an aggressive rotating defense, the rule could be especially punitive to power forward Udonis Haslem.

However, coach Stan Van Gundy said he embraces the anti-flopping sentiment, considering the number of questionable charging calls that go against center Shaquille O'Neal.

"I'd love it, because I think we've got the guy in the league that more people flop on than anybody," Van Gundy said. "I think that there's probably an average of a foul a game on that on him. If they would knock it off altogether, I'd be very happy.

"I was writing the league. I wish they'd get tougher on it. From what they're saying, they're working on not getting fooled on the flop."

Haslem said the flopping against O'Neal has become so overt that something should be done, even if it brings further scrutiny on himself.

"I'm usually taking my charges on somebody driving to the basket out of control and their momentum is coming toward me," Haslem said. "Whereas the Big Guy is just taking one step back and guys are falling. He doesn't really even have enough momentum to charge those guys."

Still, Van Gundy figures as long as O'Neal's defenders are inches shorter and almost 100 pounds lighter, there is only so much empathy that can be engendered.

"It's very hard to call a flop," Van Gundy acknowledged. "We talked about it with Bennett. You can't say a guy's flopping, so go penalize it. It's very difficult to make that determination."

Other points of emphasis being stressed in seminars with referees are:

Yet another supposed crackdown on palming, with crossover dribbles that seemingly take seconds to complete.

Defensive 3-second calls for not actively guarding an opponent in the lane.

Violations for screens that are set without allowing for a single step by defenders.

THE NEW 'DOO?

The Heat continues to sell Antoine Walker on an instant-offense role off the bench. "We call him Antoine McAdoo," guard Dwyane Wade said, in reference to the success Heat assistant coach Bob McAdoo had as a Lakers reserve in the '80s. ...

Without ceremony, a fifth division-title banner has been raised at AmericanAirlines Arena. ...

The Heat was given Tuesday off, its first idle day since camp opened Oct. 4. The team will practice today before flying to Puerto Rico this afternoon for Friday's exhibition in San Juan against Memphis.

Ira Winderman can be reached at [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.sun-sentinel.com/spor...ports-heat (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-heat12oct12,0,5117887.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat)