PDA

View Full Version : The Great Wall of Jakob Poetl

Holden_Caulfield
07-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Only 22 and already our best defensive big. Hopefully gasol can earn that 17 million and teach him some offense

ceperez
01-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Has anyone noticed how quick a player he is in defense?

FkLA
01-16-2019, 11:19 PM
He's sneaky athletic, tbh.

slick'81
01-16-2019, 11:42 PM
Just needs pau to go away

ceperez
01-17-2019, 05:11 AM
Them Poetl numbers are impressive:

"He scored six points on perfect 3-for-3 shooting, pulled down a team-high seven rebounds, handed out four assists, swiped a team-high three steals and had a blocked shot for good measure."

On the court against the Mavs he looked twice as fast as his opponent. Poetl is a big that's extremely quick, what were his combine numbers anyway?

Here:
Player Standing Reach Wingspan Height w/ Shoes Height w/o Shoes Weight (lbs) Body Fat % Hand Width (inches) Hand Length

Jakob Poeltl 8' 9.5'' 7' 2.75'' 7' 1'' 7'.025'' 239.0 5.80 10.25 9.25

No agility numbers

jermaine
01-17-2019, 08:05 AM
He stays active on the boards. I like this dude.

NASpurs
01-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Just needs pau to go away

This.

Go away forever.

cutewizard
01-17-2019, 11:21 AM
:bobo

ceperez
01-28-2019, 06:24 AM
Did you see that block against the Wizards where he just took the ball away from the opponent.

This isn't the first time I've seen Poetl do this. He's got uncanny quick reaction time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEJxxVBCv-Q&t=9m19s

spursistan
03-11-2019, 12:10 AM
Poetl starting to carve up a nice niche role..I'm really looking forward to his further development here. People forget that he is only 23 yo.

8FOR!3
03-11-2019, 12:34 AM
The question with him is if in a few years from now will he be an average starting center, a good starting center, or a really good career backup. I think he's been a good backup/average starting center for the most part this year. He's done a lot of good things and is the type of player we definitely have been wanting for a while. I just hope he continues to grow as a player and doesn't just become an enigma going into his mid 20's.

Maybe it's disrespectful to call him average but compared to most good starting centers I don't think he's doing anything crazy out there. 23 is young to have as much pro experience as he has, wonder what his upside is.

John B
03-11-2019, 01:13 AM
He covers for everybody tbh. He’s help defense when Patty’s man, or Derozan’s blew by fixed what would’ve before an easy layup or demolishing dunk. We’ve talked about White’s perimeter defense and ball distribution. We missed Gay’s athleticism tonight. But it is Poeltl’s rim protection and offensive rebounding, that glues together. We can expect from Aldridge and Demar their 20 points, and hopefully one or two of Mills/Patty/Bertans hit their 3 point shots. Tonight it was Beli. I think Spurs just need the consistency of playing together and hopefully staying healthy. If all the cylinders are working, I think they’ll be dangerous.

tonski17
03-11-2019, 03:05 AM
I hope he could learn more post moves from timmy and develop a mid-range jumper to complete his arsenal of moves

offset formation
03-11-2019, 03:52 AM
I hope he could learn more post moves from timmy and develop a mid-range jumper to complete his arsenal of moves

That'll be a tough ask of them. His form, beyond his little drop shot, is pretty atrocious. His pick n roll game is really good though. But I agree, if he could develop a puck and pop out to about 15feet, he'd have an all star potential.

J_Paco
03-11-2019, 09:53 PM
That'll be a tough ask of them. His form, beyond his little drop shot, is pretty atrocious. His pick n roll game is really good though. But I agree, if he could develop a puck and pop out to about 15feet, he'd have an all star potential.

Meh. His form isn't great but he definitely has potential to expand his range. Needs to find the confidence to shot against NBA defenders and in-game scenarios.

This is his pre-draft workout from 2016 and he showed some range from outside:

https://youtu.be/piUXm_wy7ek

Play Boban
03-11-2019, 11:42 PM
Poeltl Power

slick'81
03-12-2019, 12:24 AM
Poodle power ftw!

jermaine
03-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Why the Spurs dont utilize his jumper? It would definitely make his P&R more deadly.

BackHome
03-12-2019, 10:47 AM
I imagine he is focused on doing the basics rebounding, setting screens, pick and roll, blocking out. I think this summer Poodle will be working with Chip on his mid range shooting and will see him shoot a little but he needs to stick to what he is good at.

John B
03-12-2019, 10:56 AM
I imagine he is focused on doing the basics rebounding, setting screens, pick and roll, blocking out. I think this summer Poodle will be working with Chip on his mid range shooting and will see him shoot a little but he needs to stick to what he is good at.
True. I keep working on hard roll to the basket and positioning for easy layups for now. But a floater would not hurt if he finds no clear path to the basket. A lot of upside and turning to be the best part of the trade with his age and Spurs’ need in that position

Seventyniner
03-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Why the Spurs dont utilize his jumper? It would definitely make his P&R more deadly.

They're already too midrange-heavy. Decreasing reliance on midrange jumpers doesn't only mean taking more threes, it also means taking more shots in the paint.

cd021
03-12-2019, 11:48 AM
True. I keep working on hard roll to the basket and positioning for easy layups for now. But a floater would not hurt if he finds no clear path to the basket. A lot of upside and turning to be the best part of the trade with his age and Spurs’ need in that position

I think that there is plenty of value for a player who can set hard screens, cut to the basket, and finish at the rim. Adding mid-rangers and post moves are more of bonuses than necessities.

I do agree about maybe working on his touch when his path is impeded but his most improvable area is FT shooting. Having a C with those afforementioned skills, that can also shoot 70%+ from the line, is pretty valuable as an offensive player.

NickiRasgo
03-12-2019, 12:37 PM
I really wished the Spurs was able to convinced the Raptors before that they include his friend - Siakam. I think the Spurs asked them initially to include him.

BG_Spurs_Fan
03-12-2019, 01:13 PM
The question with him is if in a few years from now will he be an average starting center, a good starting center, or a really good career backup. I think he's been a good backup/average starting center for the most part this year. He's done a lot of good things and is the type of player we definitely have been wanting for a while. I just hope he continues to grow as a player and doesn't just become an enigma going into his mid 20's.

Maybe it's disrespectful to call him average but compared to most good starting centers I don't think he's doing anything crazy out there. 23 is young to have as much pro experience as he has, wonder what his upside is.

Probably somewhere between Steven Adams and Cody Zeller.

ZeusWillJudge
03-12-2019, 01:16 PM
I think that there is plenty of value for a player who can set hard screens, cut to the basket, and finish at the rim. Adding mid-rangers and post moves are more of bonuses than necessities.

I do agree about maybe working on his touch when his path is impeded but his most improvable area is FT shooting. Having a C with those afforementioned skills, that can also shoot 70%+ from the line, is pretty valuable as an offensive player.

Setting good picks is one of the most underrated skills. Having good timing on the PnR is underrated and uncommon. Poeltl is pretty good at both. He's a good finisher around the rim, too. But I commented before that he's going to have to get stronger, because they have started knocking him off his shot more often.

A lot of good big men extend their careers by developing a midrange game much later. It's never too late. For now, what he does is enough to earn his minutes. Anything else really is a bonus. Not to say that it wouldn't be nice - it's just not urgent, IMO.

BackHome
03-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Yeah for years we been wanting a big who could rebound and block shots add that Poodle is able to catch passes make me a happy camper. I agree him working on a floater would help as he is always rolling to the basket which is why he is a good rebounder.

i also think that now that we traded Gasoft Poodle will play better not thinking and just doing what comes. natural best move by RC and Poop

FkLA
03-12-2019, 02:45 PM
He would be doing even better if the great Emmanuel David Ginobili was out there setting him up, tbh.

ceperez
03-12-2019, 02:54 PM
His reach isn't that great. That's why bigs can take advantage of him.

However, he's unbelievably quick, got hops and above average basketball IQ.

He can't shoot though!

look_at_g_shred
03-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Love everything he provides. Anything he adds is just gravy.

cd021
03-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Setting good picks is one of the most underrated skills. Having good timing on the PnR is underrated and uncommon. Poeltl is pretty good at both. He's a good finisher around the rim, too. But I commented before that he's going to have to get stronger, because they have started knocking him off his shot more often.

A lot of good big men extend their careers by developing a midrange game much later. It's never too late. For now, what he does is enough to earn his minutes. Anything else really is a bonus. Not to say that it wouldn't be nice - it's just not urgent, IMO.

Not every big has the touch to develop out to 15-18 feet. In the modern NBA having a roll man like Poeltl surrounded by 3 or 4 shooters is every bit as effective than him occasionally being able to knock to an open jumper.

phxspurfan
03-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Should be the cat hotel of Jakob purrrrrtl

cutewizard
03-12-2019, 05:40 PM
:lobt:

ace3g
03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
nice lefty layup by DeRozan

FkLA
03-24-2019, 10:16 PM
Such a likeable player. Does all the little things. :tu

SpurSpike
03-24-2019, 10:29 PM
When he has the ball near the hoop, i know its going in and that's a good feeling. Such a soft touch around the rim.

Play Boban
03-24-2019, 10:37 PM
My sweet Poeltl :cry

FkLA
03-24-2019, 10:46 PM
When he has the ball near the hoop, i know its going in and that's a good feeling. Such a soft touch around the rim.

When he's in the vicinity for an offensive rebound I know that 9 times out 10 he's going to end up with it. That's a good feeling too. He's a beast.

ace3g
04-11-2019, 12:37 AM
https://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/img_8090_1.jpg

TKOK
04-17-2019, 03:10 AM
Pöltl not allowed to close out games sucks (for him and the Dpurs). I guess his FTs are the dealbreaker for Pop. Is there really no way to prevent "him" schemewise from getting fouled?

slick'81
04-17-2019, 03:34 AM
Good backup nothing more

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2019, 04:02 AM
he needs a passing pg to use him properly

instead of having wanks like forbes, mills chucking up shots when they come off the bench

FkLA
04-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Beast. He and White are the most likeable players on the team.

DPG21920
04-18-2019, 10:50 PM
He’s made a quantum leap defensively. Still can improve on fouls but damn! Whether in space or at the rim he’s great. Next step is just do it consistently

timtonymanu
04-18-2019, 10:51 PM
Thank god this guy isn’t losing minutes to Pau anymore :lol

HarlemHeat37
04-18-2019, 10:52 PM
His defense finally looks like it did with the Raptors..to be fair, this was the best possible matchup for him(luckily he'll get favorable matchups next round, as well)

BSfromTX
04-18-2019, 11:16 PM

Sooooo true!

Mugen
04-18-2019, 11:17 PM

crofl where my guy Chinook at

DAF86
04-18-2019, 11:19 PM
crofl where my guy Chinook at

Dude has been MIA for a while. I like giving him shit but I miss him :cry

BanditHiro
04-18-2019, 11:57 PM
almost took out Murray with a screen.

tim_duncan_fan
04-18-2019, 11:58 PM
Beast. He and White are the most likeable players on the team.

By far.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2019, 12:41 AM
almost took out Murray with a screen.

And did you see Murray come up and shove him after? He was trying to start some shit, and Poeltl just shrugged him off. Most young players would have responded, but Poeltl just kept playing. Vet move for such a young guy.

Such a likeable player. Does all the little things. :tu

The best C the Spurs have had since a healthy Tiago Splitter. And Tiago wasn't healthy very much or for very long.

ragas
04-19-2019, 01:58 AM
And did you see Murray come up and shove him after? He was trying to start some shit, and Poeltl just shrugged him off. Most young players would have responded, but Poeltl just kept playing. Vet move for such a young guy.

The best C the Spurs have had since a healthy Tiago Splitter. And Tiago wasn't healthy very much or for very long.

Love the Nugs fans call Poeltl a dirty player. This idiot Murray ran into him, while Poeltl stood there without moving. Did he expect Poeltl's knees to be backwards? There was more risk that Poeltl gets injured.

SpurPadre
04-19-2019, 02:14 AM

How did Murray not get a technical for that shit?

ceperez
04-19-2019, 05:36 AM
Love the Nugs fans call Poeltl a dirty player. This idiot Murray ran into him, while Poeltl stood there without moving. Did he expect Poeltl's knees to be backwards? There was more risk that Poeltl gets injured.

Wow, that's a first, Poetl a dirty player? He plays hard and its his quickness that can be frustrating for an offense.

I don't know what got into Murray's head when he shoved Poetl.

Play Boban
04-25-2019, 09:21 PM
:wakeup

spursistan
04-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Poetl has been rock solid in these playoffs. I'm really exited to see what his ceiling will be with us..

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2019, 09:41 PM
Poetl has been rock solid in these playoffs. I'm really exited to see what his ceiling will be with us..

I've been big on Poetl since he got here, but his ceiling isn't very high:lol he could be a great role player, which would be fine..

DAF86
04-25-2019, 09:50 PM
I've been big on Poetl since he got here, but his ceiling isn't very high:lol he could be a great role player, which would be fine..

He's the prototypical center for today's NBA though. If he becomes the starting center of the future for the Spurs he would have been a great pickup. He needs to work on his fouling problem.

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2019, 09:56 PM
He's the prototypical center for today's NBA though. If he becomes the starting center of the future for the Spurs he would have been a great pickup. He needs to work on his fouling problem.

I agree, I think he could be what Bogut was for the Warriors earlier in the decade once the Spurs are comfortable enough letting Poetl pass more(which he's shown he can do)..his soft finishing ability and foul issues will prevent him from becoming any more, though IMO..

Play Boban
04-25-2019, 10:14 PM
MVPoeltl can be a top 10 center in the league tbh. Probably doesn’t have all star level skills fwiw but he can be a key piece for a long time tbh.

offset formation
04-25-2019, 10:40 PM
MVPoeltl can be a top 10 center in the league tbh. Probably doesn’t have all star level skills fwiw but he can be a key piece for a long time tbh.

His inclusion in the trade will forever make that trade palatable. Now let's see what we do with the pick. As I've harped on before, we got our starting center for the next decade+.

rascal
04-25-2019, 10:40 PM
Denver fans say Poetl is a dirty player. Injures players

BSfromTX
04-25-2019, 10:42 PM
I loved what he did tonight.

- great hands in traffic
- great finisher
- willing picker
- great defender
- just tough player

rascal
04-25-2019, 10:42 PM

Will never be an all star. Don't overrate him. Won't even be a starter on a title team.

Mugen
04-25-2019, 10:43 PM
I agree, I think he could be what Bogut was for the Warriors earlier in the decade once the Spurs are comfortable enough letting Poetl pass more(which he's shown he can do)..his soft finishing ability and foul issues will prevent him from becoming any more, though IMO..

Good touch around the rim tbh, I don't think his "soft" finishing ability is that big of a factor considering defense in today's NBA tbh.

They can fix the fouls, I think he's definitely a solid starting C going forward...

HarlemHeat37
04-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Will never be an all star. Don't overrate him. Won't even be a starter on a title team.

Zaza Pachulia, Tristan Thompson, Andrew Bogut, Tiago Splitter and Udonis Haslem were starting bigs on 5 of the last 6 title teams:lol

FkLA
04-25-2019, 10:46 PM
Best incoming piece in the Nephew trade, tbh.

rascal
04-25-2019, 10:52 PM
Zaza Pachulia, Tristan Thompson, Andrew Bogut, Tiago Splitter and Udonis Haslem were starting bigs on 5 of the last 6 title teams:lol

No they weren't.

Get back to me when he is a starter on a title team, won't happen.

emanueldavidginobili
04-25-2019, 10:53 PM
This kids 23 and doesn’t turn 24 until the beginning of next season. Let him develop he’s going to be good. This whole season has been wacky for him from starting to not playing at all to him playing barley minutes because of Pau and now he’s playing 30 minutes in the playoff being a big impact.

GAustex
04-25-2019, 10:55 PM
Certainly not purposely
In the flow of the game s%*@ happens
So far I have seen nothing close to "dirty"

rascal
04-25-2019, 10:58 PM
Wow, that's a first, Poetl a dirty player? He plays hard and its his quickness that can be frustrating for an offense.

I don't know what got into Murray's head when he shoved Poetl.

Maybe he felt Poetl stuck his leg out to undercut him.

rascal
04-25-2019, 10:59 PM
Certainly not purposely
In the flow of the game s%*@ happens
So far I have seen nothing close to "dirty"

Goofy white player. I didn't mean to hurt you.

r0drig0lac
04-26-2019, 04:50 AM

if true, this is even better.

Kurgan
04-26-2019, 05:46 AM
Better player and more valuable than Derozan

GreekSpursfan
04-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Lets not overreact again. What i mostly like about him is his motor, energy and effort and he sets some good picks and some not so good which might result in unnecessary fouls(watch out for this one in the final game). His defensive IQ isn't good and Jokic took advantage of that time and time again. Offensively he relys on others to make plays for him, he has zero post moves for a big man. He's limited but his activity makes him a positive.
Disregarding positions, he's nowhere near as good as Derozan and i'm not a Derozan fan tbh.

Gibbz
04-26-2019, 11:47 AM
I was as much of a doubter as anyone early in the season, but the dude has won me over. He's showing far more intensity than anyone on the roster. I hope he continues to improve and is here for a long time.

RC_Drunkford
04-26-2019, 07:09 PM
I don't know how his offensive rating in this series is a team high 147 (excluding Dante Cunningham). He's already close to being a consistens 10/10 guy, but has to improve freethrow shooting and it would be nice if he can add some post moves and a midrange shot. Should be working on his offensive game a lot this offseason

EricB
04-27-2019, 03:06 AM
Lets not overreact again. What i mostly like about him is his motor, energy and effort and he sets some good picks and some not so good which might result in unnecessary fouls(watch out for this one in the final game). His defensive IQ isn't good and Jokic took advantage of that time and time again. Offensively he relys on others to make plays for him, he has zero post moves for a big man. He's limited but his activity makes him a positive.
Disregarding positions, he's nowhere near as good as Derozan and i'm not a Derozan fan tbh.

Defensive IQ isn’t good? Huh?!?!

ace3g
06-29-2019, 09:19 PM
BzMCMxbCujh

ceperez
02-16-2021, 09:01 PM
Jakob Poetl based on the stats is the best player in the Spurs roster!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

spurraider21
02-16-2021, 10:21 PM
best defensive player in the league by that metric

GAustex
02-16-2021, 11:46 PM
some thinking he be overpaid
let him off the porch
so far he is hanging
Wish he could shoot a bit though

Fireball
02-17-2021, 02:52 AM
great to see Jacob succeeding now ... being in the starting lineup definitely upped his intensity but its also just a fact that he is a very slow starter into a season ... seams like he needs 20 games to get going

Kurgan
02-17-2021, 10:19 AM
Jakob Poetl based on the stats is the best player in the Spurs roster!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

Lonnie's numbers on that link are tragic

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-17-2021, 11:44 AM
He's showing that contract wasn't a waste.

buttsR4rebounding
02-17-2021, 11:45 AM

Worst on team in both offense and defense.

BackHome
02-17-2021, 10:18 PM
He is a very good bench player but he is not a starter on a playoff team until he can hit over 30% on his free throws and at least average 8 pts a game.

rankingtear
02-17-2021, 10:33 PM
He is a very good bench player but he is not a starter on a playoff team until he can hit over 30% on his free throws and at least average 8 pts a game.

He already started for a playoff team.

BillMc
02-18-2021, 02:14 PM

Amazed Keldon is so low. And Rudy somehow is a minus on offense and a plus on defense. I would have thought it the other way around.

Obi Juan Kenobi
02-11-2022, 08:36 PM
That three was a thing of beauty!!!