PDA

View Full Version : Starting 2 and 3..

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2018, 02:43 PM
What are you guys expecting?

DeRozan playing the 3 seems like the best fit, but who does that leave at the 2? Mills again? Really don't want Rudy Gay at SF, that's a nightmare since they're already going to be using 2 traditional bigs in the frontcourt..

ElNono
07-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Beli at 2, tbh, and Manu as backup when he announces his come back for another season, IMO.

Patty will likely start at PG, and White be the backup.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Beli at 2, tbh, and Manu as backup when he announces his come back for another season, IMO.

You're forgetting @dejountemurray..

monkeypunk
07-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Where's Murray in that scenario?

chunticakes
1. Murray
2. DeRozan
3. Gay
4. Aldridge
5. Poeltl

ElNono
You're forgetting @dejountemurray..

I am, tbh... ok, DJ starts, Patty off the bench... honestly, there will be plenty of time for White also, considering both Beli and Manu are old as fuck

DAF86
07-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Hopefully is Murray, White, DeRozan, Bertans and Aldridge. But it will probably be Murray, Mills, DeRozan, Gay and Aldridge.

FkLA
Hopefully it's White and DD.

White was all-desense at Colorado IIRC and adds much needed 3PT shooting to the starting line-up.

TXstbobcat

wouldnt Murray still be the starting PG??

HarlemHeat37
I am, tbh... ok, DJ starts, Patty off the bench... honestly, there will be plenty of time for White also, considering both Beli and Manu are old as fuck

Don't forget about Pop's son, Bryn Forbes:lol

SAGirl
Not sure. Hoping White or more unlikely due yo his disqualification as a rookie, Walker makes an appearance.

I really dint think Davis is starting caliber, though he may prove me wrong. Cunningham? Mills as a2 again? Uncharted territory.

How much better will Murray be offensively to begin with? That determines a lot of the rotation.

Thought Danny was starting yo lose his spot last season anyways.

I really don't want to see Marco start.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Hopefully is Murray, White, DeRozan, Bertans and Aldridge. But it will probably be Murray, Mills, DeRozan, Gay and Aldridge.

I hope it's the latter, but then how can they justify having both Poetl and Pau? Poetl is a rotation guy and Pau still wants minutes..

ElNono
07-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Don't forget about Pop's son, Bryn Forbes:lol

Say what you will, but I think this whole offseason probably gives Pop a fresh look, tbh... he no longer has the vets (we'll see with Manu) to basically coach for him, and I'm sure the whole Kawhi fiasco left him with something to prove, tbh...

Plus, coaching will likely be the biggest challenge with this group, considering half of them are cancerous players... it'll be interesting

YGWHI

Judging by the way that Pop was talking about our young guys, I guess Murray will start at PG.

DJ
DeRozan
Rudy
LMA
Gasol

When Pop realizes it doesn't work, we'll see more shooters and smallball

DJ
Patty/Belli
DeMar
Rudy
LMA

Fusternino
Murray/Mills/DDR/Gay/Aldridge . . . followed by White/Marco/Manu/Bertans/Gasol.

SAGirl
07-18-2018, 02:51 PM
1. Murray
2. DeRozan
3. Gay
4. Aldridge
5. Poeltl
Really no shooting in that lineup frankly. Gay is more of a 4 too.

-21-
07-18-2018, 02:51 PM
I hope it's the latter, but then how can they justify having both Poetl and Pau? Poetl is a rotation guy and Pau still wants minutes..

Fuck Pau's feelings. He already got paid.

SAGirl
07-18-2018, 02:52 PM
With that you also opened up the Pandora 's box of the big men rotation.

DAF86
07-18-2018, 02:53 PM

I could see Pop thinking of Murray, Mills DeRozan, Aldridge and Pau. Or Murray, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge and Gasol.

spurraider21
07-18-2018, 02:53 PM
:tu

i still think pop will play 2 traditional bigs though

TD 21
07-18-2018, 05:02 PM
I expect the rotation to be as follows . . .

Starters: Aldridge (34), Cunningham (24), Gasol (24), DeRozan (34), Murray (28)

Bench: Gay (24), Belinelli (24), Mills (20), Poeltl (14), White (Ginobili?) (14)

Deep bench: Bertans, Forbes, Paul?, Walker

- When forced to play small, Bertans probably starts for Gasol, shifting Aldridge to C, Gasol to backup C and Poeltl to deep bench.

- If Ginobili returns, he'll probably play around 18, dropping Belinelli around 20.

hater
07-18-2018, 05:03 PM
If Cancerburger starts I am a Toronto fan

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Bench: Gay (24), Belinelli (24), Mills (20), Poeltl (14) White (Ginobili?) (14)

- When forced to play small, Bertans probably starts for Gasol, shifting Aldridge to C, Gasol to backup C and Poeltl to deep bench.

- If Ginobili returns, he'll probably play closer to 18, dropping Belinelli closer to 20.

You have Dante Cunningham starting at the 3?

Mugen
07-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Rasual Butler has a better chance of starting than Dante Cunningham tbh.

TD 21
07-18-2018, 05:09 PM
You have Dante Cunningham starting at the 3?

Yeah. He's masqueraded as a starting SF a decent amount the past 3 seasons and even though he's really a backup PF, he's the closest thing this roster has to a 3 and D wing.

Gay would be redundant (in a bad way) next to Aldridge and DeRozan and Belinelli next to DeRozan would be untenable defensively (to start) generally.

Not a single threating shooter in the starting lineup, extremely shaky ball handling and sub par playmaking (though DeRozan improved last season and is better than Leonard in this regard).

White (Ginobili?) is a must off the bench, to provide play making. That squeezes Bertans, but between small ball matchups, injuries and rest, he should still play more than last season (1086).

timvp
07-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Cunningham won't play small forward for the Spurs, much less start at small forward. He's a power forward at this point in his career.

Probably gotta go with one of these starting lineups:

PG Murray
SG Belinelli or Mills
SF DeRozan
PF Aldridge
C Gasol

PG Murray
SG DeRozan
SF Gay
PF Bertans
C Aldridge

PG White or Mills
SG DeRozan
SF Gay
PF Aldridge
C Gasol or Poeltl

Amuseddaysleeper
07-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Gay and DeRozan starting together is gonna make the Spurs chuck city

TD 21
07-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Cunningham won't play small forward for the Spurs, much less start at small forward. He's a power forward at this point in his career.

PG Murray
SG Belinelli or Mills
SF DeRozan
PF Aldridge
C Gasol

PG Murray
SG DeRozan
SF Gay
PF Bertans
C Aldridge

PG White or Mills
SG DeRozan
SF Gay
PF Aldridge
C Gasol or Poeltl

He always was a PF, but that didn't stop teams from shoehorning him into SF (sometimes starting at that) in recent seasons. The only way to attempt to make sense of this roster, is if he starts at SF. Also, based on how they've always operated they'll want some sort of 3 and D wing (it's even more of a stretch to call Gay or Belinelli that) starting.

It'll be Bogans part 2, only at SF.

dubross
07-18-2018, 05:34 PM
I’d start

Murray
White
DeMar
Gay
LA

With
Mills, Belli, Manu/Cunningham , Bertans, Poetl in the bench rotation.

Find a way to get rid of Gasol ��

offset formation
07-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Say what you will, but I think this whole offseason probably gives Pop a fresh look, tbh... he no longer has the vets (we'll see with Manu) to basically coach for him, and I'm sure the whole Kawhi fiasco left him with something to prove, tbh...

Plus, coaching will likely be the biggest challenge with this group, considering half of them are cancerous players... it'll be interesting

Cancerous?

Who?

palangi
07-18-2018, 05:56 PM
I wonder if we really see Metu as a 3&D wing?

His measurements and athleticism is very similar to OG.

palangi
07-18-2018, 06:00 PM
I know this won't be it but I wonder

PG- murray
SG- Derozan
SF- Metu
PF- Aldridge
C- Gasol

PG- White
SG- Belinelli
SF- Gay
PF- Bertans
C- peotl

PG- Forbes
SG- walker
SF- Blossomgame
PF- Cunningham

KDKSpurs24
07-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Hard to see. But I saw Siakam improved his handle. Maybe Metu can do similar things because they’re basically the same size (hopefully).

YoungbuckMurray
07-18-2018, 06:03 PM
Give me

Murray
DeRozan
Jimmy Butler
Bertans
LMA

KDKSpurs24
07-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Give me

Murray
DeRozan
Jimmy Butler
Bertans
LMA
Or Middleton at the 3 if he can be had.

Hell I’d take Covington at the 3 if we can trade Mills for him.

ElNono
07-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Cancerous?

Who?

DeFrozen, LMA, Gay... cancerous not in the sense of locker room trouble, but in that they care more about their numbers and All Star appearances than winning, tbh...

YoungbuckMurray
07-18-2018, 06:12 PM
Or Middleton at the 3 if he can be had.

Hell I’d take Covington at the 3 if we can trade Mills for him.

Yep I'd take either of those as well. In order Jimmy, Middleton, Covington

TheRemix
07-18-2018, 06:12 PM
I'd start murray/beli/demar/gay/aldridge. On defense hide beli on the worst player. That's a good balance and gives aldridge some space to work with.

vy65
07-18-2018, 06:13 PM

PG Murray
SG Belinelli or Mills
SF DeRozan
PF Aldridge
C Gasol

PG Murray
SG DeRozan
SF Gay
PF Bertans
C Aldridge

PG White or Mills
SG DeRozan
SF Gay
PF Aldridge
C Gasol or Poeltl

Dear Jesus ...

NameLess Scrub
07-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Gay and DeRozan starting together is gonna make the Spurs chuck city

Welcome to the San Antonio Raptors of 2013.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Dear Jesus ...

:lol

r0drig0lac
07-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Murray/Mills
Belli/White/Walker
Derozan/Dante
Bertans/Gay
Aldridge/Gasol/Poetl

John B
07-18-2018, 06:35 PM
IF Murray developed a consistent shot, I’d put him best at 3D. He is the best perimeter stopper out there. DeRozan at 2 and White on PG. Gay and LMA at 4 and 5.

CGD
07-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Depending on Whites development I wonder if they don’t run with Murray, White, DD, Bert, and LMA by mid season. Sadly probably gives them best spacing/defense combo.

They go 6’4, 6’5, 6’7, 6’10, and 6’11.

slick'81
07-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Damn spurs need a sf and pf

BWS-1994
07-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Pray for another trade? Hopefully, for a startinh caliber 3 and D SF.

Any decent SF still available from the FA pool?

slick'81
07-18-2018, 06:50 PM
For fun gay at 3 and bertans 4

offset formation
07-18-2018, 06:51 PM
DeFrozen, LMA, Gay... cancerous not in the sense of locker room trouble, but in that they care more about their numbers and All Star appearances than winning, tbh...

I might have given you LA prior to last year.
Gay for sure but probably moreso because of the type of teams for which he's played.
And I'm just not familiar enough with DD's game to make an informed comment. But I'd guess Pop culture will coordinate him accordingly.

DAF86
07-18-2018, 07:05 PM

Bench: Gay (24), Belinelli (24), Mills (20), Poeltl (14), White (Ginobili?) (14)

- If Ginobili returns, he'll probably play around 18, dropping Belinelli around 20.

Spurs won't pay Bertans 7 millions per year to be a deep bench guy. The same way they didn't acquire Cunningham for cents to be the starting SF.

It will either be:

Murray, Mills/Bellinelli, DeRozan, Aldridge, Gasol.

Or

Murray, Mills/Bellinelli, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge.

With

Murray, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge, Gasol as an early 2000's throwback darkhorse.

DAF86
07-18-2018, 07:06 PM

His measurements and athleticism is very similar to OG.

Metu is a PF that can play Center, more than he can play SF, tbh.

TD 21
07-18-2018, 07:11 PM
Depending on Whites development I wonder if they don’t run with Murray, White, DD, Bert, and LMA by mid season. Sadly probably gives them best spacing/defense combo.

They go 6’4, 6’5, 6’7, 6’10, and 6’11.

If Ginobili retires, White can't start, because they need his play making off the bench. If Ginobili doesn't retire, White is probably out of the rotation altogether. Though like Bertans, through match-ups, injury and rest, he probably still plays somewhat significant minutes throughout the season.

Spurs won't pay Bertans 7 millions per year to be a deep bench guy. The same way they didn't acquire Cunningham for cents to be the starting SF.

It will either be:

Murray, Mills/Bellinelli, DeRozan, Aldridge, Gasol.

Or

Murray, Mills/Bellinelli, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge.

With

Murray, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge, Gasol as an early 2000's throwback darkhorse.

People are reading too much into Bertans salary. He was an RFA, who was generating interest. They also probably upped the average annual value to keep the term down.

Cunningham has been a part time starting SF the past 3 seasons. Salary doesn't determine who starts/plays, fit/politics do.

palangi
07-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Metu is a PF that can play Center, more than he can play SF, tbh.

I agree for the most part. But I do wonder

Spursfanfromafar
07-18-2018, 11:10 PM
What are you guys expecting?

DeRozan playing the 3 seems like the best fit, but who does that leave at the 2? Mills again? Really don't want Rudy Gay at SF, that's a nightmare since they're already going to be using 2 traditional bigs in the frontcourt..

Murray, Derozan, Gay, Bertans, Aldridge.

Mills, White, Belinelli, Cunningham, Poetl

Forbes, Manu, Walker, Gasol, Blossomgame

tbdog
07-18-2018, 11:26 PM
If White is healthy I think he wins the starting two. Gasol starts with LMA. Makes sense having Gay off the bench. Although I think Mills and White work better than Beli and Mills.

raybies
07-19-2018, 12:00 AM
umm...

I think we will see this to start the season

Murray/Mills/DeRozan/LMA/Gasol

I think Mills will continue to start to help Murray develop and kind of act as the training wheels until he doesn't need them. Also the same reason you'd put Bertans in for spacing Pop would probably consider Gasol a spacer too, unfortunately. Also having two bigs really helps cover DD's defensive deficiencies. More rim protection. Also having Mills start and Gasol clears room for some minutes to Poetl and White, Forbes or to a lesser extent Walker.

Bench would be:

White/Ginobili/Belinelli/Gay/Poetl

It will be interesting tho. Go big and Poetl see's minutes go small ball and Bertans see's minutes. 7 mill is a lot to play a 10/11 man in the rotation tho. But team needs will dictate lineups and was the case last year. Losing Tony opens up some minutes. The wild card is Manu. If he leaves, Bertans will have his minutes.

On a side note, I'd like to see Metu get Brandon Paul's spot. August 1st and Paul's contract becomes guaranteed. So that's the next bit of news I guess. But if you want to let Metu get a year of exp on Austin's expense I guess that's good. Just think Metu is solid and would like to see him with the squad.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
07-19-2018, 12:01 AM
Murray/Mills/White
Forbes/Ginobili/walker
DeRozan/Belinelli/Cunningham
Aldridge/Gay/Bertans
Gasol/Poeltl
I see the Spurs using a lot of 3 gaurd lineups.

L.I.T
07-19-2018, 12:06 AM
Spurs top line talent looks good: Murray/Derozan/LMA, followed by White/Gay. And that looks like a reasonable starting lineup, if lacking in spacing and that all important mythical 'killer instinct.'

They have young guys to develop: Aforementioned Murray/White + Poetl/Walker/Metu. I guess Bertans and Paul.

Second tier plug and play vets: Manu/Beli/Gasol/Mills. Which, I guess, can be put together to make a solid bench with the young guns or pieces of the above hypothetical starting line up.

It's just neither the starting lineup they can create nor the bench they can scrabble together works with each other. It's a bizarre roster, that has decent top shelf talent, decent development talent, and solid vets, but none of them seemingly click outside. Weaknesses aren't offset and there are more gaps than anything else.

marinoman
07-19-2018, 12:07 AM
We still have an unbalanced roster and 2 shit contracts, 1 more move please.

i wanted to keep Forbes cause I truly thought that meant goodbye patty. Why do we have 2 gary neals, question is should we even have 1

DPG21920
07-19-2018, 12:08 AM
I”m being lazy; does anyone know how many minutes DD played at SF vs SG last year?

Fusternino
07-19-2018, 12:08 AM
As long as Forbes/Mills are never on the floor together and no guard is at the 3 other than Manu/DDR I'll be fine, especially after last season.

FkLA
07-19-2018, 12:10 AM
I”m being lazy; does anyone know how many minutes DD played at SF vs SG last year?

2,323:54 at SG
1,141:36 at SF

marinoman
07-19-2018, 12:14 AM
2,323:54 at SG
1,141:36 at SF
I counted 2,312:38 at sg but let’s go with your guess

raybies
07-19-2018, 12:18 AM
Ideally, White is the perfect player to start at the two. He's a playmaker, who can shoot, who plays good d and he can share PG duties with Murray. I think eventually that's who will be starting by the end of the season

DPG21920
07-19-2018, 12:19 AM
So double the minutes at SG but many here want him to play the 3?

raybies
07-19-2018, 12:23 AM
well it's just a label really... the game has evolved into positionless basketball. He's a wing. He'll play a wing spot.

marinoman
07-19-2018, 12:25 AM
The league is going smaller and smaller, we have an unbalanced roster, pop played alot of 3 guard lineups
It’s a bit what we expect not necessarily what we want

DAF86
07-19-2018, 12:27 AM
The league is going smaller an smaller, we have an unbalanced roster, pop played alot of 3 guard lineups
It’s a bit what we expect not necessarily what we want

The league isn't going smaller. They are going away from the traditional two bigs lineups, but the wings and point guards are getting taller and taller by the minute.

DAF86
07-19-2018, 12:27 AM
We really need a 3 and D guy.

timvp
07-19-2018, 12:28 AM

Approximately 60% at shooting guard, 40% at small forward. So it's not a stretch to play him minutes at SF, really. With the construction of this roster, there's no question he'll be forced into playing long stretch at SF -- even if he doesn't start at SF.

marinoman
07-19-2018, 12:34 AM
The league isn't going smaller. They are going away from the traditional two bigs lineups, but the wings and point guards are getting taller and taller by the minute.
Maybe so but i saw in the west finals warriors go super small and rockets responded with less Capela

DPG21920
07-19-2018, 12:42 AM
Approximately 60% at shooting guard, 40% at small forward. So it's not a stretch to play him minutes at SF, really. With the construction of this roster, there's no question he'll be forced into playing long stretch at SF -- even if he doesn't start at SF.

You comfortable with that?

alpha_HaZE
07-19-2018, 02:09 AM
Not sure who would be starting but am stoked to see DJ, DDR, Gay, and LA on the floor! And it's intiguing to think of all the possibilities for which the fifth players would be; Lonnie, Beli, Pau, Cunnigham, Davis, as longs as they can shoot the open three and play passable defense, our offense would be too good and we will have a fighting chance against anyone.

alpha_HaZE
07-19-2018, 02:19 AM
Also, I feel that Kawhi might be a better player overall than DDR, but DerMar Derosan is A) more durable, Kawhi has missed 1 out of every four games! B) Has one of the BEST assist to turnover ratio in the entire league, Kawhi on the other hand has struggled sharing the ball. Come to think about it, Kawhi is more Kobe like than we thought. I am excited to see DDR and LA together. I don't think DeMar ever had a big pick n pop guy like LA. And C) Der Mar has improved each and every summer, and this summer he has a chip on his shoulder. Remember Steve Nash when the Mavs traded him to PHO, because he wasn't the guy, and he became a beast! :bobo

sasaint
07-20-2018, 06:03 PM
You comfortable with that?

Clearly not optimal unless he suddenly becomes a better defender by several orders of magnitude. Most SFs will feast on his D.

Pop has to see the problem. He has to be looking offload a guard or two to get a true SF.

kobyz
07-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Tank for Barrett and you have yours starter!