PDA

View Full Version : Article from The Ringer: The Spurs Are Who We Thought They Were

cariocaz
07-19-2018, 06:55 AM
By pairing DeMar DeRozan with LaMarcus Aldridge, San Antonio will begin a strange, new era playing like the tedious team most have perceived it to be for years

By Danny Chau (https://www.theringer.com/authors/danny-chau) Jul 19, 2018, 6:20am EDT

The Spurs will start this strange new era in a holding pattern, as the team will learn in real time whether there is still any magic in their scouting: all of the young talent they’re banking on, from Murray to Lonnie Walker IV to Derrick White, were drafted in the mid-to-late first round. In the meantime, the roster reflects the Spurs’ awkward new reality: one that’s decidedly uncommitted to its future, and quickly unbinding from its past.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/19/17589158/san-antonio-spurs-kawhi-leonard-demar-derozan

offset formation
07-19-2018, 07:10 AM
By pairing DeMar DeRozan with LaMarcus Aldridge, San Antonio will begin a strange, new era playing like the tedious team most have perceived it to be for years

By Danny Chau (https://www.theringer.com/authors/danny-chau) Jul 19, 2018, 6:20am EDT

The Spurs will start this strange new era in a holding pattern, as the team will learn in real time whether there is still any magic in their scouting: all of the young talent they’re banking on, from Murray to Lonnie Walker IV to Derrick White, were drafted in the mid-to-late first round. In the meantime, the roster reflects the Spurs’ awkward new reality: one that’s decidedly uncommitted to its future, and quickly unbinding from its past.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/19/17589158/san-antonio-spurs-kawhi-leonard-demar-derozan

I think this dude is so offbase. If anything, we are moving toward a younger, more athletic version of ourselves.

We have all noticed the slowing, methodical pace over the last several years. And pop will keep it controlled always. But now we have the beginnings of a team that's going to be attacking the basket from multiple positions again. Even Poeltl, at center. And DD at wing will help in that regard (given we got nothing from Kawhitter last year)

Add in Murray, White, Walker, Belinelli (who is always backcutting) and future picks and see Tony, Green, Kyle, and a non player in Kqwhi exit.

I think fans are going to be pleasantly surprised actually. Meanwhile this dude can go back to his mom's basement and learn about Spurs basketball.

SpurOutofTownFan
07-19-2018, 08:15 AM
What has been going on in San Antonio for the past 20 years is unique so none of these guys will ever get it right if they analyze it from the same viewpoint they do everything else

FireMicoHalili
07-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Analyses are okay. This is all just basketball opinion. What’s more important is knowing not to take any information from Cris Carter and Jabari Young. Shit takes, zero cred. I hope they bolt to Toronto as well.

dbestpro
07-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Media is just mad that the Spurs will continue the winning tradition. They have been predicting the collapse for 10 years. The fact that the Spurs can still remain competitive after all that has happened is nothing short of amazing.

jjktkk
07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
I actually think Pop will be reinvigorated and ready for the challenge of coaching this new version of the Spurs.

szkorhetz
07-19-2018, 08:48 AM
I actually think Pop will be reinvigorated and ready for the challenge of coaching this new version of the Spurs.
Agreed.
Now he can prove that the system made Leonard who he is. There are numerous valid arguments against Leonard being the better player.
DD can make his teammates better and for me that's one of the cornerstones to superstardom. KL never had any playmaking, so the loss of his D will be somewhat compensated.
Leonard's rebounding will surely be missed, though.

TDomination
07-19-2018, 08:51 AM

I hope this is true. Would love to see that fire back. It just seems like he's been going through the motions lately. That better not be the case this year.

jjktkk
07-19-2018, 08:56 AM
I hope this is true. Would love to see that fire back. It just seems like he's been going through the motions lately. That better not be the case this year.

Two reasons imo for my thinking: One, coaching will help him get over the loss of his wife, and two, I think he will be highly motivated to show Kawhi what an idiot he was for quitting on the Spurs.

HankChinaski
07-19-2018, 09:58 AM
People mentioning pop mailing it in an not having the fire.

Having been someone who lost a family member to a terminal disease. Your career is pretty much a obligation at times because you want to be elsewhere when things are going down. I think it says a lot about Pop an his dedication to the organization that pays him his salary he committed day in an day out to the job at hand an still managed his life at home.

Can you even imagine that emotional an mental toll that takes after a long day of work to come home an see your partner struggling with something you have no way of easing the troubles. Yeah I think my fire/passion would be placed elsewhere despite my firm commitment to the job.

rjv
07-19-2018, 10:01 AM
the title of the article never really matched the content of the piece.

HankChinaski
07-19-2018, 10:02 AM
I think he comes back strong this year. He loves the sport an his job. That alone is a blessing for him, despite the drama of Nephew. The took a hit with the trade but now they can focus on the team an the game instead of a singular entity trying to play spy.

sasaint
07-19-2018, 10:05 AM

I have wondered whether we might see him more engaged. With all of the new parts, I expect we will see even more early season mad scientist than usual. I hope he can get a better handle on rotations come next spring than he showed last year.

dbestpro
07-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Pop will come with fire, but I think DeRozan will play with a chip on his should and a Chip helping that three point shot.

offset formation
07-19-2018, 10:09 AM
I have wondered whether we might see him more engaged. With all of the new parts, I expect we will see even more early season mad scientist than usual. I hope he can get a better handle on rotations come next spring than he showed last year.

Yep, rotations were an utter mess last year, which I'll attribute to them not knowing if and when Kawhitter was returning fro his temper tantrum.

Perry Mason
07-19-2018, 10:20 AM
The article may be ok, but title and opening line are terrible.

Spurs do one thing that many posters even miss. They prioritize character, drive and hard work over skill. There is a balance, of course (as skill is necessary), but they would rather have 10 guys who are blue collar, off the court workers, than a hodge podge of high draft pick athletic guys that bring drama, emotional instability and weakness in the face of adversity.

For a small market, I think there is no other way to go. The hard working guys will always compete and give you a chance at the playoffs. Talent may be slower to arrive (since this strategy does not involve tanking or catering to pussies), but when it does, the team jumps to elite, much like Kawhi gave the Spurs in 2016 and 2017.

There is some truth to PAFTO needing to learn how to better interact with the new generation of players, basically babied millennials (stereotype but with truth there). But, it is only somewhat true.

Teaching good habits, having a mentor that pushes you hard, and tough love are timeless, and are for every generation. The Spurs are overall better off avoiding the typical spoiled but skilled player, and bringing up lesser skilled character guys. So when you get that rare combination of character and talent, the Spurs are ready for the next period of dominance.

And then we never have to put up with ten years of "rebuilding", as Timvp rightly points out.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Fair. Lots of questions, but the Spurs had benefited from star players who bought into the program over the last 30 years.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Pop will come with fire, but I think DeRozan will play with a chip on his should and a Chip helping that three point shot.

Written off. Right where they want to be.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Pop just buried his wife and went through the Nephew drama. Getting back to basketball is probably a good thing for him.

Chucho
07-19-2018, 10:37 AM
Media is just mad that the Spurs will continue the winning tradition. They have been predicting the collapse for 10 years. The fact that the Spurs can still remain competitive after all that has happened is nothing short of amazing.

The media = typical ST poster, tbh, fwiw.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-19-2018, 10:41 AM
;tldr spurs is boring

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Pop said basketball was a little kids game less than 24 hours ago :lol

He doesn't give a shit anymore. He's just collecting paychecks and it's time to send him packing.

offset formation
07-19-2018, 10:42 AM

Spurs do one thing that many posters even miss. They prioritize character, drive and hard work over skill. There is a balance, of course (as skill is necessary), but they would rather have 10 guys who are blue collar, off the court workers, than a hodge podge of high draft pick athletic guys that bring drama, emotional instability and weakness in the face of adversity.

For a small market, I think there is no other way to go. The hard working guys will always compete and give you a chance at the playoffs. Talent may be slower to arrive (since this strategy does not involve tanking or catering to pussies), but when it does, the team jumps to elite, much like Kawhi gave the Spurs in 2016 and 2017.

There is some truth to PAFTO needing to learn how to better interact with the new generation of players, basically babied millennials (stereotype but with truth there). But, it is only somewhat true.

Teaching good habits, having a mentor that pushes you hard, and tough love are timeless, and are for every generation. The Spurs are overall better off avoiding the typical spoiled but skilled player, and bringing up lesser skilled character guys. So when you get that rare combination of character and talent, the Spurs are ready for the next period of dominance.

And then we never have to put up with ten years of "rebuilding", as Timvp rightly points out.

:tu

Seventyniner
07-19-2018, 10:43 AM

Good post. Pop is the polar opposite of Calipari in this respect, and Pop tends to overachieve given his team's talent level while Cal underachieves.

By all accounts DeRozan is a high-character guy.

offset formation
07-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Pop said basketball was a little kids game less than 24 hours ago :lol

He doesn't give a shit anymore. He's just collecting paychecks and it's time to send him packing.

Let me guess, replace him with Jim Jordan, huh?

Mugen
07-19-2018, 10:45 AM
:lol I remember the media trying to bury the Spurs back in 2006. The fact that they still have to write articles about this boring ass organization is a giant F.U. to all of them tbh.

I'm surprised that Simmons didn't make him write about how much better an organization the Celtics are when the Spurs have those fuckers 5 to 1 in championships the last 30 years.

sasaint
07-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Written off. Right where they want to be.

True. A comfy old spot for Pop to be in. And the Surs organization if not the players, themselves.

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Let me guess, replace him with Jim Jordan, huh?
You said you'd suck Pop off as long as he showed you his 5 rings. Don't quote me.

sasaint
07-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Good post. Pop is the polar opposite of Calipari in this respect, and Pop tends to overachieve given his team's talent level while Cal underachieves.

By all accounts DeRozan is a high-character guy.

Derozan was understandably hurt in his first reaction to the trade. But beyond that he seems very much like a Spur. I think he will fit in well and do well.

I was once a UK fan. I don't care for them under the Coach Cal one-and-done regime. After this many years, though, I am surprised that his pitch still works with elite recruits. Hardly any of them ever improves his game at UK, and then they wash out in the NBA. Hardly any of them ever maximizes his talent (and, therefore, earnings). Seems like all those recruits could see that by now.