PDA

View Full Version : Pop will make DeMar a Superstar

illusioNtEk
07-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Bet.

We also sign KL back next year then we chip.

BUMP this thread in a year

exstatic
07-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Bet.

We also sign KL back next year then we chip.

BUMP this thread in a year

He's going to make DeMar the best player he can be, but Kawhi will never be officially associated with the Spurs again. I'm with Kori on this one. No jersey retirement for traitors who leave nothing but wreckage in their wake. It's one thing to leave as a FA, but he forced his way out, starting after two years of a five year deal, and basically destroyed his trade value. He might as well have dropped a Molotov cocktail on his way out the door.

gospursgojas
07-19-2018, 04:07 PM
I’m with OP minus the kawhi re signing part. Pop took an autistic can’t shoot can’t dribble mute and made him a top 3 MVP candidate. Imagine what he can do w a naturally gifted talented athletic LA crip w a chip on his shoulder.

dbreiden83080
07-19-2018, 04:15 PM
He's going to make DeMar the best player he can be, but Kawhi will never be officially associated with the Spurs again. I'm with Kori on this one. No jersey retirement for traitors who leave nothing but wreckage in their wake. It's one thing to leave as a FA, but he forced his way out, starting after two years of a five year deal, and basically destroyed his trade value. He might as well have dropped a Molotov cocktail on his way out the door.

And I still am not clear on what the fuck this was about? Players go out there and play. You want to leave, play out your deal and go as a free agent. Who lays down and refuses to play? I hate this turd..

james evans
07-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Mfs still mad lol. He’s gone. Y’all gonna talking this bullshit to your grandkids 40 years from now

dbreiden83080
07-19-2018, 04:19 PM
I’m with OP minus the kawhi re signing part. Pop took an autistic can’t shoot can’t dribble mute and made him a top 3 MVP candidate. Imagine what he can do w a naturally gifted talented athletic LA crip w a chip on his shoulder.

My concern is that if he tries to make him a major part of things, then we got LA who will be pissy again that he is not getting enough shots.

exstatic
07-19-2018, 04:25 PM
My concern is that if he tries to make him a major part of things, then we got all LA who will be pissy again that he is not getting enough shots.

LMA scored 23 ppg on 18 shots. With the dearth of scoring we had last year, DD's shots aren't going to be at LMA's expense.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2018, 04:31 PM
And I still am not clear on what the fuck this was about? Players go out there and play. You want to leave, play out your deal and go as a free agent. Who lays down and refuses to play? I hate this turd..

:tu

At this point I forget all the details of the timeline but likely there was an actual trade demand made to the Spurs before the deadline last February (when Jalen Rose commented on his unhappiness in SA). At that point his group was in control of the rehab process. He had shown up for some games and was sitting between games. Then he went back to his 'rehab'. Around about this time I think his reps were negotiating a shoe deal they ultimately declined. Spurs likely thought wtf, he's not even here, we have no idea about his health, and now he wants out. Then whenever the Spurs tried to get a straight answer they were either given 'oh he's close to returning' or no answer, but when the Spurs offered to just declare him out for the season Leonard's group didn't want that.

In retrospect, fairly obvious that the last 3/4ths of the season Leonard was holding out. I think that began in earnest when the Spurs refused to trade him before the deadline. There's reporting on the financial difficulty his agent's agency is facing, as well as current litigation involving a claim for commission owed by Leonard's former agent. That is, there's a fair amount of smoke there as to why at least his reps want/need him to be in a larger market where perhaps whichever athletic apparel company they are chasing will give them the endorsement deal they are seeking. [Not to mention a lot of smoke as to why most of the offers for Leonard were crap, even with a 1 year rental] At this point it's also hard to distinguish between Leonard and his reps, to believe that he was not a fully aware and active participant in this. Oh well, enjoy Drake's Siberia.

BatManu20
07-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Kawhi will never be a Spur again. And that's before his feelings get all hurt when he's booed mercilessly during his returns to SA next season.

bic50
07-19-2018, 04:43 PM
delusional

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Would any of us be surprised to find out that Uncle D blew a large amount of Nephew's money? This is such a situation ripe for something like that and would explain the sudden need to get a large endorsement deal.

coachmac87
07-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Derozan Last 3 Seasons

24.6ppg 4.4 asst 4.5 reb 1 stl

45% fg. 30% 3pt (flaw) 84% FT (8att per)

Yeah that’s solid potential to fit in

SpurPadre
07-19-2018, 04:55 PM
As long as he doesn't make him a horrible 4th quarter free throw shooter like every other Spurs player, tbh.

DPG21920
07-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Brakes. Pump Em.

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Spurs will love RS DeRozan, he feasts on defenses until they start utilizing game plans in the playoffs..

Last year's team was one of the worst clutch time teams in recent NBA history..they would have been a comfortable 3 seed if they were just average quality in those games..DeRozan will help tremendously in that regard, since he's a high-level shot creator..

When teams actually try in the playoffs, he'll be terrible like he always is.

Keepin' it real
07-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Sorry OP, Cowturd already said today that players don't improve in year 10. So there will be no improvement under Pop.

Dverde
07-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Would any of us be surprised to find out that Uncle D blew a large amount of Nephew's money? This is such a situation ripe for something like that and would explain the sudden need to get a large endorsement deal.

Kawhi probably owns one million shares of Fit Bit.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Hopefully DeRozan is in a good frame of mind by the start of the season and channels whatever anger/bitterness he has towards the Raptors into basketball.

I'm sure the Spurs on their end are going to do everything they can to establish and ensure there is a good relationship.

'Superstar' is a tall order but the Spurs need someone other than LaMarcus to score. Think about it, in the last playoffs that second scorer was...Rudy Gay. He had a good season but DeRozan will be a step up.

Blake
07-19-2018, 05:09 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NeatRawBedlingtonterrier-small.gif

alpha_HaZE
07-19-2018, 05:31 PM
If Kawhi cuts ties with his uncle and wants to return to the Spurs, I would take him back with open arms. But that's very unlikely to happen.

Regarding DeMar, he is already a superstar! If he develops a three-point shot, and DeMar has gotten better each summer, then he will be an MVP candidate. I am excited.

alpha_HaZE
07-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Hopefully DeRozan is in a good frame of mind by the start of the season and channels whatever anger/bitterness he has towards the Raptors into basketball.

I'm sure the Spurs on their end are going to do everything they can to establish and ensure there is a good relationship.

'Superstar' is a tall order but the Spurs need someone other than LaMarcus to score. Think about it, in the last playoffs that second scorer was...Rudy Gay. He had a good season but DeRozan will be a step up.

Yes, Gay, LA, and DDR is an exciting trio! Those three will keep us competitive until either DJ or Lonnie takes over.

BackHome
07-19-2018, 05:59 PM
I didn’t know that DeMar is from Cali and Compton just like K-Y.

look_at_g_shred
07-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Is there going to be a press conference introducing Demar and Jakob?

illusioNtEk
09-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Yep

WallyTiger
09-18-2018, 07:09 AM
and then DeMar has an aunt...

D Emily D
09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
I don't ever see DeRozan being a defensive stopper, but Aldridge's advanced stats do show definite improvement as a defensive player after age 28: his first seven seasons he posted DRtgs of 109, 107, 108, 107, 107, 106, & 107. In his last five seasons, his DRtgs have been 104, 102, 99, 104, & 105... and that includes two years still with Portland, before he joined the Spurs. He is now perceived as a good defensive player, after starting his career with the rep for not caring too much about it. If Pop can just make DeRozan more focused on D, that alone would be a big improvement.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html

phxspurfan
09-18-2018, 01:16 PM
DeMar will have a monster season here. He's in his prime, under a great coach, and will have good chemistry with Aldridge I bet. They're both winners. Only thing is we need even more firepower to compete with the likes of Houston and Golden State, so I hope Rudy Gay can be the Microwave that 50Mills isn't.

ginobilized
09-19-2018, 10:20 AM
DeRozan looks to be working to make himself a superstar
Pop will know what to do to build around his talents. I’m curious to see how the “system”
shifts this season to accommodate the new blood. I imagine that the defensive
principles will stay the same. It will be interesting to see what the offense looks like.

james evans
09-20-2018, 03:22 PM
I'll be shocked if Derozan comes here and keeps his averages and intensity he did in Toronto. Not saying it won't happen, but it's just hardly ever worked in our favor when scorers from other teams come play for popovich.

SpursDynasty85
09-20-2018, 05:02 PM
I'll be shocked if Derozan comes here and keeps his averages and intensity he did in Toronto. Not saying it won't happen, but it's just hardly ever worked in our favor when scorers from other teams come play for popovich.

He was pretty ball dominant on the Raptors. A championship team shouldn't need to rely on Derozan that much. He's not good enough tbh. This team and this group of players should be judged on wins and wins only. With the salary cap the way it is humble professional players should love it on the spurs now. Lots of money to go around. I'm glad I'm not paying guys like Russel Westbrook $40M/yr +. ouch.

exstatic
09-20-2018, 05:16 PM
He was pretty ball dominant on the Raptors. A championship team shouldn't need to rely on Derozan that much. He's not good enough tbh. This team and this group of players should be judged on wins and wins only. With the salary cap the way it is humble professional players should love it on the spurs now. Lots of money to go around. I'm glad I'm not paying guys like Russel Westbrook $40M/yr +. ouch.

Yeah, with his surgery on that same knee this summer, that contract will be as much fun as a kick in the nuts in 5 years or so.

illusioNtEk
11-02-2018, 05:20 AM
Don't think KL will come back but DeMar is MVP tbh

skin27
11-02-2018, 07:19 AM
I hope so