PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Will Retire Kawhi's Jersey

Spurtacular
07-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Sorry but the bar is not that high; and they're not gonna be that sour to deny a FMVP, 2X DPOY, X-Allstar, etc. when the time comes. And by the time this comes, I doubt I'll be there to say I told you so. But hopefully someone bumps this. :lol

He's going to make DeMar the best player he can be, but Kawhi will never be officially associated with the Spurs again. I'm with Kori on this one. No jersey retirement for traitors who leave nothing but wreckage in their wake. It's one thing to leave as a FA, but he forced his way out, starting after two years of a five year deal, and basically destroyed his trade value. He might as well have dropped a Molotov cocktail on his way out the door.

kaji157
07-19-2018, 07:10 PM
I don't think the Spurs retire a jersey based on individual accolades rather than in what they meant to the franchise and community.

FkLA
07-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Damn you are old af, nigga.

dbreiden83080
07-19-2018, 07:27 PM
I have to admit I still don't know WTH Bowen is doing up there?

OldMan88
07-19-2018, 07:30 PM
The jersey retirement bonfire is scheduled for the first pre-season game.

Gordonicci
07-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Retire it (in little pieces) to the public outhouse at Pop's winery so the guests never lack for something classy to wipe their asses with.

BatManu20
07-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Never. Wouldn't be surprised if they decorated the inside of the urinals at the AT&T Center with it though.

Maddog
07-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Key starter on 3 NBA title teams.
Involved in the community.

A slight stretch but not unreasonable.
Avery Johnson is to me more of a stretch. Just my opinion.

OldMan88
07-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Brings home the meaning of taking a Number 2.

dbreiden83080
07-19-2018, 07:51 PM
Key starter on 3 NBA title teams.
Involved in the community.

A slight stretch but not unreasonable.
Avery Johnson is to me more of a stretch. Just my opinion.

Neither should be up there. A jersey retirement should be for HOF level players. It kind of cheapens the whole thing..

T Park
07-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Kawhi Leonard will be thought of in the future the same as Derek Anderson, which btw effed the hell out of the team as well.

Blake
07-19-2018, 07:57 PM
I agree with op.

Right after Kawhi knocks the Spurs out of the playoffs en route to his 4th title with the Lakers and 5th straight DPOY, they'll go ahead and put his jersey in the rafters.

They'll even invite Danny to say a few words. Maybe Magic and LeBron too.

LkrFan
07-19-2018, 07:59 PM
I don't know....

Sad how you farmers turned on him like that :cry

BillMc
07-19-2018, 07:59 PM
Neither should be up there. A jersey retirement should be for HOF level players. It kind of cheapens the whole thing..

Kind a disagree. A good glue guy like Bowen who is not HOF material but was really key to titles and long term success should get the honor. Shows appreciation by the organization and fans for the guys who do the dirty work. Applies to Bruce more than Avery though, that I agree.

Phenomanul
07-19-2018, 08:00 PM
I hope not... what he did is completely unprofessional. Doesn't deserve to be celebrated.

BillMc
07-19-2018, 08:03 PM
I would be surprised if they do it if the Holts still own the team. Maybe 20 years from now with different ownership the Seattle Spurs will retire his jersey just to have a celebration to distract from their struggling team.

But he burned so many bridges. Has Orlando retired Shaq's? And his exit wasn't half as bad as KLs.

Dverde
07-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Good luck getting him to show up for the ceremony

Phenomanul
07-19-2018, 08:04 PM
They should give him an AT&T Center retirement... since he was too "busy trying to get back on the floor" to even show up and support the team from the sidelines during the playoffs.

All the toilet paper rolls at the arena should be printed with his image/logo/number.

baseline bum
07-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Kawhi Leonard will be thought of in the future the same as Derek Anderson, which btw effed the hell out of the team as well.

I don't think they're comparable at all. Anderson signed here cheap and then became a bitch in free agency, but he never quit on the team under contract. Leonard's bullshit was a much worse version of what Rodman pulled in 95.

dg7md
07-19-2018, 08:53 PM
I'd be willing to bet Kawhi returns near the end of his career once he's matured and then almost certainly his jersey would be retired.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2018, 09:17 PM
God damn right Bruce Bowen's number is retired.

baseline bum
07-19-2018, 09:19 PM
God damn right Bruce Bowen's number is retired.

:bobo

baseline bum
07-19-2018, 09:21 PM
I'd be willing to bet Kawhi returns near the end of his career once he's matured and then almost certainly his jersey would be retired.

Why? LeBron did it to go home after getting fucked over by the Heat's owner. Leonard has no reason to ever go back to San Antonio.

benefactor
07-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Sorry but the bar is not that high; and they're not gonna be that sour to deny a FMVP, 2X DPOY, X-Allstar, etc. when the time comes. And by the time this comes, I doubt I'll be there to say I told you so. But hopefully someone bumps this. :lol
Shut the fuck up you autistic faggot

K...
07-19-2018, 09:27 PM
The spurs obviously reward players involved in the championships. Avery and Bowen are there because Robinson and Duncan overflowed into them to get them there.

Kawhi is fmvp of 2014 but i dont know if that gets him there. As numero uno kawhi got swept by chris paul, punked out by WEstbrook, durant and adams, ZAZAD, and Quit. I know he was the best player on the spurs all this time but there is no real big moment to reward.

But lets be real. You have to show up to your jersey retirement and the autist can't face that level of scrutiny and emotion...so no jersey retirement in absentia.

SouthTexasRancher
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM
It'll never happen. If it did some drunk fan would climb into the rafters and tear it down, set it on fire and let the fans piss on it after it has burned into ashes.

Chillen
07-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Only Spurs playing right now that should no doubt have their jersey put in the rafters at the AT&T center is Manu and Tony. LMA and DeMar working on it. That's it.

rastaspur
07-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Will not happen. And its not like that charcoaled rainmam gives two shits. He would rather sit alone in his toronto room reading the phone book and learning the wookie language from uncle d's wife.

paperboy77
07-19-2018, 10:02 PM
I don't know man... Maybe its me and that I'm not all that into social media but i do have twitter and i have yet to see any "Thank You Kawhi" tweets. Not from the Spurs, Sean Elliott or anyone at all. I have seen some for Danny though. I hope this treason lives in infamy. MFer deserves that much. They should hang his jersey upside down or something.

Ice009
07-19-2018, 10:06 PM
If the Spurs do anything with his jersey, it should be a jersey burning ceremony. Have a live TV special and talk about all the shit he pulled this season. Let it all out into the public via that avenue.

SAGirl
07-19-2018, 10:11 PM
The spurs obviously reward players involved in the championships. Avery and Bowen are there because Robinson and Duncan overflowed into them to get them there.

Kawhi is fmvp of 2014 but i dont know if that gets him there. As numero uno kawhi got swept by chris paul, punked out by WEstbrook, durant and adams, ZAZAD, and Quit. I know he was the best player on the spurs all this time but there is no real big moment to reward.

But lets be real. You have to show up to your jersey retirement and the autist can't face that level of scrutiny and emotion...so no jersey retirement in absentia.
Your last statement kind of reminded me that a couple of seasons ago iirc SDSU retired his jersey at the start if their season and Kawhi didnt show up. Iirc it was in preseason and he really could have g on If he wanted. In hindsight, dude couldn't care less about fan opinions or showing support publicly.

SAGirl
07-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Will not happen. And its not like that charcoaled rainmam gives two shits. He would rather sit alone in his toronto room reading the phone book and learning the wookie language from uncle d's wife.
True story.

DMC
07-19-2018, 10:47 PM
People don't know how to really fuck with a departing player - you do nothing. He comes out in his first game here, you don't even react. He's stunned. You act like nothing happened. That way he sees the Spurs are bigger than Kawhi.

Spurtacular
07-19-2018, 11:16 PM

Or Avery Johnson. Why not just put up Speedy Claxton while they're at it?

Spurtacular
07-19-2018, 11:20 PM
I would be surprised if they do it if the Holts still own the team. Maybe 20 years from now with different ownership the Seattle Spurs will retire his jersey just to have a celebration to distract from their struggling team.

But he burned so many bridges. Has Orlando retired Shaq's? And his exit wasn't half as bad as KLs.

SA Kawhi ring'd; Orlando Shaq didn't.

R to the P McMurphy
07-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Nope

TekXX
07-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Considering how he left theres no way his number gets retired.

Blake
07-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Brings home the meaning of taking a Number 2.

Raising the #2 into the rafters is called an upper decker

picnroll
07-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Maybe if the jersey reads kawitter

sasaint
07-20-2018, 08:52 AM
People don't know how to really fuck with a departing player - you do nothing. He comes out in his first game here, you don't even react. He's stunned. You act like nothing happened. That way he sees the Spurs are bigger than Kawhi.

Not a bad idea. Transform Kawhi into a non-entity. But I doubt that many fans at the AT&T would be able to exercise that level of forbearance.

Clipper Nation
07-20-2018, 08:56 AM
I don't know....

Sad how you farmers turned on him like that :cry
Remember when Laker fans booed Kobe after he demanded a trade? :downspin:

sasaint
07-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Comments about Avery and Bruce kind of beg the question whether Danny's jersey will be raftered...

Das Texan
07-20-2018, 09:03 AM
I don't think they're comparable at all. Anderson signed here cheap and then became a bitch in free agency, but he never quit on the team under contract. Leonard's bullshit was a much worse version of what Rodman pulled in 95.

He probably makes what Rodman did in 95 so much worse.

Rodman at least showed up for games. Did his own fucking thing and fucked the team, but at least he didnt literally quit.

Das Texan
07-20-2018, 09:04 AM
I hope they issue #2 to someone this year honestly.

K...
07-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Comments about Avery and Bruce kind of beg the question whether Danny's jersey will be raftered...

I'd say very likely soon after he retires. He was more important than Avery, equal to Bowen, and they'll have to do something to commentate 2014. Diaw and splittwr were too ephemeral, Danny is the right balance.

So, we got Parker, Manu, Danny, and that's it.

picnroll
07-20-2018, 09:10 AM
The retard couldn’t care less, wouldn’t appreciate it. Do you really want someone’s jersey hanging in the Spurs’ arena who has trashed the organization in multiple way?

exstatic
07-20-2018, 09:12 AM
I hope they issue #2 to someone this year honestly.

I was just thinking that. Maybe LW4 takes it, since Ferrari will undoubtedly re-claim #3.

exstatic
07-20-2018, 09:14 AM

I was thinking that everyone should silently stand, and turn away from the arena floor, turning their backs on him like he did to the fans and the franchise.

John B
07-20-2018, 09:34 AM
If he becomes a Laker and beat us every time, would you retire his jersey and after all the lies to get there? Nope

BatManu20
07-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Zero chance. Especially after he joins the Lakers next summer.

daslicer
07-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Surprisingly I agree with this.

LkrFan
07-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Remember when Laker fans booed Kobe after he demanded a trade? :downspin:

:lol yep! I remember it well :lol

Blake
07-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Yeah that'll teach him

Seventyniner
07-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Now I'm imagining a total boycott of that game. Empty arena. Kawhi won't show up to Spurs games so Spurs fans don't show up to his.

SpursforSix
07-20-2018, 11:12 AM

It doesn't cheapen it at all. Jersey retirements represent contributions to the team. Bowen was instrumental in those championships.
That being said, now that they have 5 rings, a Bowen type player probably doesn't get his jersey retired.