InRareForm
07-20-2018, 10:03 AM
https://reason.com/blog/2018/07/19/santa-barbara-bans-plastic-straws-proscr/amp

Spurminator
07-20-2018, 10:07 AM
I don't see this lasting.

Chucho
07-20-2018, 10:35 AM
This fucking state can't find ways to embarrass itself anymore than having the hugest class gaps, second largest homeless problem all while having the highest taxes and a global top five economy, but they find a way every fucking time.

In pursuit of those dubious benefits, straw opponents in Santa Barbara and beyond are willing to make more of their fellow citizens into criminals for victimless offenses.

This sums the state up pretty much. Faux and hollow acts that, on the exterior, seem to make a positive impact or change but it's got massive backfire potential. How about bottled water sales? That would be, oh, I dunno, an actual impact.

Team Cali Blue wants to battle Team Orange on Capitol Hill for biggest farce of a government entity.

koriwhat
07-20-2018, 10:41 AM
This fucking state can't find ways to embarrass itself anymore than having the hugest class gaps, second largest homeless problem all while having the highest taxes and a global top five economy, but they find a way every fucking time.

This sums the state up pretty much. Faux and hollow acts that, on the exterior, seem to make a positive impact or change but it's got massive backfire potential. How about bottled water sales? That would be, oh, I dunno, an actual impact.

Team Cali Blue wants to battle Team Orange on Capitol Hill for biggest farce of a government entity.

:tu

gd right about them plastic bottles. i bet 9/10 walking around venice beach had bottle water when i was there a decade ago. that's way worse than some straws.

cali is the fake state; fake women, fake virtue signaling, fake protests, fake hollywood, fake, fake, fake and now a fake cause to collect more $ in fines instead of dealing with real issues plaguing that state.

Education4Libs
07-20-2018, 10:48 AM
What a sucky idea.

boutons_deux
07-20-2018, 10:49 AM
straws? :lol

how about banning plastic bottles for water?

koriwhat
07-20-2018, 10:52 AM

exactly. makes no sense if plastic is really want they want to cut down on. after all how many straws does it take to make a water bottle?

Blake
07-20-2018, 10:52 AM
I prefer straws in places where they have glass to drink out of

koriwhat
07-20-2018, 10:53 AM
I prefer straws in places where they have glass to drink out of

i used to not care but i'm the same nowadays. too many times have i gone somewhere and found lipstick still on the glass or whatever. not that i don't return the glass if dirty but still...

Trey Gowdy
07-20-2018, 11:09 AM
i used to not care but i'm the same nowadays. too many times have i gone somewhere and found lipstick still on the glass or whatever. not that i don't return the glass if dirty but still...
Dirty lipstick on a glass is your best chance to ever kiss a girl, don’t waste those opportunities pal.

koriwhat
07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Dirty lipstick on a glass is your best chance to ever kiss a girl, don’t waste those opportunities pal.

i like women. sorry i'm no pedo like you.

Chucho
07-20-2018, 11:15 AM
:tu

gd right about them plastic bottles. i bet 9/10 walking around venice beach had bottle water when i was there a decade ago. that's way worse than some straws.

cali is the fake state; fake women, fake virtue signaling, fake protests, fake hollywood, fake, fake, fake and now a fake cause to collect more $ in fines instead of dealing with real issues plaguing that state.

All the things that anti-Right Blue Boys say about the Repubs being the thieves and not caring about the poor and are here to fuck everyone but their rich buddies is EVERYTHING the Left does here in California.

The districts with the largest class gaps are almost exclusively Democrat districts (but...but Kansas) and half of them are in California (but...but det surplus and balanced budget). Sans the Russia shit, almost everything that can be said about Trump can be said about Blue Boys in Sacto. The difference? Blue Boys here are so experienced at the politics game, and the people of California are really, really stupid and fake, it's easier for them to rob us blind where as the moron in the Whitehouse is a blowhard idiot with no political skills whatsoever and makes enemies out of everyone so his actions come under more scrutiny than any POTUS before.

There really isn't any difference between the two- neither care for poor people, neither care to act in the best interests of their constituents and their diehard fanbases are too stupid to look past partisanship and see what's going on.

Trey Gowdy
07-20-2018, 11:21 AM
i like women. sorry i'm no pedo like you.
:lmao crackhead incel playing the semantics game.

Spurminator
07-20-2018, 11:29 AM
All the things that anti-Right Blue Boys say about the Repubs being the thieves and not caring about the poor and are here to fuck everyone but their rich buddies is EVERYTHING the Left does here in California.

The districts with the largest class gaps are almost exclusively Democrat districts (but...but Kansas) and half of them are in California (but...but det surplus and balanced budget). Sans the Russia shit, almost everything that can be said about Trump can be said about Blue Boys in Sacto. The difference? Blue Boys here are so experienced at the politics game, and the people of California are really, really stupid and fake, it's easier for them to rob us blind where as the moron in the Whitehouse is a blowhard idiot with no political skills whatsoever and makes enemies out of everyone so his actions come under more scrutiny than any POTUS before.

There really isn't any difference between the two- neither care for poor people, neither care to act in the best interests of their constituents and their diehard fanbases are too stupid to look past partisanship and see what's going on.

What liberal policies do you connect to the class gaps in California cities?

As I see it, cities like San Francisco are always going to be among the most desirable places to live, which means the demand to live there is going to drive up housing costs. (It's also somewhat insulated unlike cities in the midwest, which have more room to sprawl.) In a high population density, high demand city, there will be a higher need for retail/service work which usually pays on the lower end and doesn't usually account for cost of living. In other words, it's not like minimum wage in San Francisco is that much higher than minimum wage in Omaha.

So aside from increasing minimum wage, adding more low income housing, or outright sending money to people below a certain poverty threshold (all of which would be liberal policies), what do you think the solution is?

I'm not super familiar with California tax policy, but do the poor in California really bear much of that burden? Would lowering taxes result in more take-home pay for the poor?

koriwhat
07-20-2018, 11:32 AM
:lmao crackhead incel playing the semantics game.

with dumbass urbandictionary being your go to we now know whose troll you are.

claiming this and that about me when in reality i bet those words best describe you is real :lmao levels. you don't see me signing up for multiple accounts so i can waste even more time here like you do, do you? fucking bitch boy is so upset at me. lol

AaronY
07-20-2018, 11:42 AM

As I see it, cities like San Francisco are always going to be among the most desirable places to live, which means the demand to live there is going to drive up housing costs. (It's also somewhat insulated unlike cities in the midwest, which have more room to sprawl.) In a high population density, high demand city, there will be a higher need for retail/service work which usually pays on the lower end and doesn't usually account for cost of living. In other words, it's not like minimum wage in San Francisco is that much higher than minimum wage in Omaha.

So aside from increasing minimum wage, adding more low income housing, or outright sending money to people below a certain poverty threshold (all of which would be liberal policies), what do you think the solution is?

I'm not super familiar with California tax policy, but do the poor in California really bear much of that burden? Would lowering taxes result in more take-home pay for the poor?
They should do more to increase the production of housing in SF and other places in california but the NIMBY types are pretty against it since it will reduce their property values

Trey Gowdy
07-20-2018, 11:43 AM
with dumbass urbandictionary being your go to we now know whose troll you are.

claiming this and that about me when in reality i bet those words best describe you is real :lmao levels. you don't see me signing up for multiple accounts so i can waste even more time here like you do, do you? fucking bitch boy is so upset at me. lol
lol someone got their feelings hurt

Chucho
07-20-2018, 01:24 PM

It's a few things, but it's not so much their policies, it's the severe lack of policies and the utter audacity they have when robbing us.

Their biggest policy of increased minimum wage has backfired because of the haste in putting it together and lack of thought behind it. In premise, it sounds great and can work in markets like most of posh SoCal and the Bay Area, but it hurts everywhere else from Sac to Bakersfield and all of the poor areas of SoCal and there are a shit load of those areas. 250k jobs were moved over state lines to ID, NV,NM and AZ. Companies weren't going to allow the state to put them out of business due to impractical mandates from the state that were begot from gross negligence (no concern on the economic feasibility of such a measure).

The state operates the way the classes operate- the elite can do what they want at the expense of the poor. Case in point, the homeless wasn't really a disgusting embarrassment for San Francisco until recently. The reason? The Bay areas, except Oakland from my understanding, bused loads of homeless (dont know the criteria, but it's speculated by locals that the ones getting out of detox/jail) into the Central Valley, specifically Modesto because it was a shithole with loads of destitute and homeless already.

Modesto FINALLY stood up and said enough was enough and refused to allow Bay Area municipalities to throw their trash onto them the way they were accustomed to doing. Lo and behold- the crime rate has gone down slightly in the area and the crime rates and homeless issues have exploded in the Bay area the last two years.

Frisco and the Bay area have ALWAYS been a densely populated area with extremely high costs of living. That isn't new and I can't see much correlation with crime and homeless explosion, that isn't it. Even during the recession it wasn't an issue on their radar and the city was bankrupt for a moment in 2010.

I can delve further into how The Blue Brown Syndicate has sunken nearly $100 billion into a train project that has gone no where while he's pocketed millions on that deal and how he raised taxes, with no vote, while giving himself and state congress year over year raises of 2-5% annually, to try and get this bullshit train project going. Or how he was trying, and still is, to broker a deal where he sells farmland water (where there's been record drought the last decade plus), that is state owned, to SoCal municipalities and not because they need drinking water, but because everyone wants green lawns. The state economy be damned and the food supply be damned because green grass for SoCal.

The Demos here create as many conflicts of interest in the way they procure local offices and with the booming economy, surplus and balanced budgets coupled with the increase of taxes, NOTHING is being done or has been done in their 8 years.

It's symptomatic of every Demo stronghold and why all the districts with the largest class gaps are Democrat strong holds. You can cite 8 years of stupid Schwartzenegger policy as the reason for this, but that's not accurate considering how long this place has been a Demo stronghold and that blue influence is stronger on local levels as well.

We discussed it this way at a recent Chamber of Commerce meeting when someone addressed Trump not tanking the economy nor Jerry Brown tanking the California economy:

Regardless if you want to play the "it's because of ___________ " when it's good an "it's because of ___________" when it's bad doesn't matter and hard to cite what policies are connected to the issue. Lack of action and years of political dominance are the cause and you can't be inactive with such major issues when you can't stop bragging about the economy, the surplus and balanced budget unless you just don't care about the people beyond their vote.

diego
07-20-2018, 01:36 PM

actually, straws are much much worse for the environment. bottles can be reused, recycled, pulled out of the ocean, and are actually pretty damn necessary, straws arent and go straight to the trash. Think of all the fast food, cafes, movie theaters etc where straws are given out willy nilly, theres quite a bit of research about straws being one of the worst plastics in terms of marine pollution.

all this laughing at california, yet britain and the EU are doing the same. :lol at grown men crying about losing access to straws

clambake
07-20-2018, 02:06 PM
they laugh at california because they're stuck in tx

SnakeBoy
07-20-2018, 03:09 PM
It's a few things, but it's not so much their policies, it's the severe lack of policies and the utter audacity they have when robbing us.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/001680-how-texas-avoided-great-recession

SnakeBoy
07-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Canada too

http://opportunitywa.org/canadas-housing-affordability-crisis-looks-familiar-washington-restrictive-land-use-policies-factor/

FlAVaK
07-20-2018, 03:39 PM
The difference between straws and bottles is, for straws there are ecological alternatives available!

For bottles the alternative would be glass, which needs a lot of water to clean, which isn't really saving anything...

But of course, the use (waste) of plastic bottles should also be restricted. That's why there is a bottle deposit here in Germany: I pay 19 €-cents for a big bottle of water, and an extra 25 €-cents deposit for the bottle...

InRareForm
07-20-2018, 05:45 PM
There's a bottle deposit here in California.. 5 cents for small bottle, 10 cent for big one