PDA

View Full Version : Euroleague followers: Alphonso Ford retires due to leukemia

Solid D
09-02-2004, 10:17 AM
This news came last week but I thought it should be mentioned here since there are so many true basketball fans in this Forum. One of the Euroleague's best scorers over the years is being forced to retire.

www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E03&jornada=26&id=324 (http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E03&jornada=26&id=324)

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/med_316_28.jpg
Ford retires due to illness

Alphonso Ford, the second top scorer in Euroleague history with 1,200 points, has been forced to retire to a severe health problem, his club, Scavolini Pesaro, has announced. Ford was expected to come back to Pesaro to start practicing this week, but some shocking news came all the way from the United States, as he is retiring due to leukemia, an illness he has been battling against since he was diagnosed with it back in 1997. Even with that, Ford has taken this issue with discretion and stayed as an explosive scorer, a player who gave 110% on the court and who has been adored by fans everywhere he has played. The Euroleague hopes Ford will get better soon, and that all the courage and intensity he displayed on court will help him to win the biggest battle of his life, which starts now.

Alphonso Ford started his pro career in Tri-City Chinook (CBA) after four full seasons in the Mississippi Valley State (NCAA). He moved overseas before the start of the 1995-96, joining Argal Huesca in Spain. He was instant offense since the day he arrived, averaging 24.9 points in the Spanish League that season. He moved to Papagou in Greece the following season, helping a modest team to make it all the way to the Greek League playoff and clinch a Korac Cup spot. He moved to Emlakbank in Turkey, and back to Greece to play in Sporting Athens and two seasons in Peristeri, where he became an Euroleague star. He was the first-ever Euroleague top scorer, averaging 24.9 points per game and helping Peristeri to reach the playoffs. He moved to Olympiacos for the 2001-2002 season, averaging 24.8 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 20 Euroleague games. After several years in Greece, he moved to Italy and joined Montepaschi Siena the following season, helping the team to make it to its first-ever Final Four appearance. He averaged 22.2 points in 37 Italian League games last season at Scavolini Pesaro, as the team made it to the Italian League semifinals. Above all, Ford is an Euroleague star in every sense of the word, and has the best scoring average (22.2 ppg) in the history of the competition.

Ford, a pure talent
Ford sent a letter to all Scavolini which has been published on www.victorialibertas.it, the club's official website. "Dear friends, I am in the unfortunate position to announce that I will not be able to play the 2004-05 season with Scavolini Pesaro. Unfortunately, my health condition does not allow me, at this point, to compete like a professional athlete. In this moment, I am really grateful to all of you, and to all the trainers, teammates, fans, referees and managers and, thorughout all these years, have given me the opportunity to compete in the sport which I have loved the most. Finally, regarding MY TEAM, Scavolini Pesaro, I want to thank from the bottom of the heart all the people in the organization, my teammates, coaches and our great supporters. I want all of you to have faith. Stay strong and fight hard. My heart will always be with you. With respect, Alphonso Ford".

Reactions have come all over Europe, especially from a damaged Scavolini, as one of its founders, Elviro Scavolini, passed away some days ago. "I feel helpless" - his teammate Aleksandar Djordjevic declared -. "As soon as I knew it, I dialled his number and called him to his house. It was early, but he was ready to enter the hospital to start the therapy. I offered him my moral support, but what else can I do right now?" - Djordjevic added. Scavolini fans have already declared they will support Ford as much as they can. The Euroleague also wants to express its hope to see Ford beat this terrible disease the way he has won bigger and taller enemies on court. With his strength, intensity and heart, we are sure he will win its most difficult battle.

alamo50
09-02-2004, 05:49 PM
:(

Thanks for the article Solid.

adonis50
09-02-2004, 08:19 PM
:(
Alphonso will be missed. Very fun player to watch.

Nikos
09-02-2004, 08:53 PM
What did Alphonso Ford play like in general?

Seems like he was a dominant scorer in college as well as the Euroleagues.

Could he have played in the NBA as an elite backup guard at least? Was he pretty much an SG in a PG's body ala Bobby Jackson?:Q 's

adonis50
09-02-2004, 09:00 PM
His ballhandling was suspicious, so I would rule out the elite backup guard position in the NBA. He used to be a one-man show playing for mediocre teams.

Nikos
09-02-2004, 09:51 PM
So at best he could be a one dimensional in the NBA as a backup? With no PG skills.

I guess thats why he never made it?

Was he a decent defender? Was he more of a shooter than scorer?

alamo50
09-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Who cares if he could have made it in the NBA?
He didn't.
He was a super star in Europe and now he is forced to quit doing what he loves to do and always has done in his life.

SequSpur
09-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Who cares what you think?

:Q

SLO Fafmaschine
09-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Alphonso was man to watch. I' m sorry for him, cause he is really good, shooter and all. But you should also see his leaping ability, the man is superman...Hope he gets well and come back playing...

http://www.victorialibertas.it/images/AF%20a%20Oregon.jpg
http://www.victorialibertas.it/images/AF%20vs%20Skipper%20CI.jpg