PDA

View Full Version : Key cyber-security officials leave the Trump admin at a difficult time

RandomGuy
07-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats has made no secret of his concerns about cyber-security threats. In fact, the nation’s top intelligence officer raised more than a few eyebrows last week when he said in the months leading up to 9/11, the “system was blinking red,” adding, “Here we are, nearly two decades later, and I’m here to say the warning lights are blinking red again.”

It’s against this backdrop that the Wall Street Journal reports on some important departures from the Trump administration.

Three of the top cybersecurity officials at the Federal Bureau of Investigation are retiring from government service, according to people familiar with the matter – departures that come as cyberattacks are a major concern for the country’s security agencies.

Senior U.S. intelligence officials warn that the country is at a “critical point” facing unprecedented cyberthreats, including Russia’s ongoing attacks on the American political system. The retirements also come as the FBI is facing regular criticism from President Donald Trump and his supporters, and is working to attract and retain top cyber talent.

The WSJ noted that Scott Smith, who runs the FBI cyber division, is leaving this month, and his deputy, Howard Marshall, has already moved on. Their supervisor, David Resch, is also stepping down.

They’re joined by Carl Ghattas, executive assistant director of the FBI’s national security branch, who’s also leaving, following Jeffrey Tricoli, “a senior FBI cyber agent who oversaw a Bureau task force addressing Russian attempts to meddle in U.S. elections,” out the door.

According to Politico, Tricoli was replaced by someone who “knows absolutely nothing about cyber.”

Of course, all of this follows Donald Trump’s decision in May to eliminate the job of the nation’s cyber-security czar, as part of John Bolton’s reorganization of the National Security Council.

A New York Times reported at the time, “Cybersecurity experts and members of Congress said they were mystified by the move…. It was the latest in a series of steps that appeared to run counter to the prevailing view in Washington of cybersecurity’s importance.”

It’s not exactly a secret that that Team Trump is struggling with staffing issues – I’ll assume you’ve seen recent iterations of the list – but given the apparent seriousness of the cyber-threat, none of this is encouraging.

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/key-cyber-security-officials-leave-the-trump-admin-difficult-time

boutons_deux
07-23-2018, 12:21 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266387&p=9487827&viewfull=1#post9487827

AaronY
07-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Pretty horrible for them to quit if they really are worried. last thing they should do

RandomGuy
07-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Pretty horrible for them to quit if they really are worried. last thing they should do

all of this follows Donald Trump’s decision in May to eliminate the job of the nation’s cyber-security czar, as part of John Bolton’s reorganization of the National Security Council.

Why would this decision be made?

AaronY
07-23-2018, 01:43 PM
I dont know what youre asking me in relation to my point but if they are worried about our country's cybersecurity they shouldnt quit their governmental cybersecurity jobs

RandomGuy
07-23-2018, 05:12 PM
I dont know what youre asking me in relation to my point but if they are worried about our country's cybersecurity they shouldnt quit their governmental cybersecurity jobs

Given the re-org, here is my guess:

They were Obama appointees, and then re-assigned or going to be re-assigned into meaningless, dead-end file-clerk roles. This has happened repeatedly in all agencies in the Government under Trump.

Political loyalty and nepotism over competence.

The bit about Tricoli hints at this happening here as well:
Tricoli was replaced by someone who “knows absolutely nothing about cyber.”

I was wondering why you think the Trump administration decided that a single expert to run cyber-warfare was a bad idea, given the current threat environment. Seems a mite counter-intuitive.

boutons_deux
07-24-2018, 06:16 AM
Trump ‘Looking Into’ Revoking Security Clearances Of Former Officials Critical Of Him

The president is considering changes that would affect former CIA Director John Brennan and former FBI Director James Comey, among others.

President Donald Trump (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/donald-trump) is considering revoking the security clearances of former intelligence officials who have criticized him and have been the targets of some of his relentless attacks.

The officials include former

CIA Director John Brennan,

former FBI Director James Comey,

former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper,

former CIA and National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden,

former national security adviser Susan Rice and

former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe,

“former intelligence officials typically maintain high-level security clearances after they leave their posts — in some cases, they provide counsel to current officials during times of turnover.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-revoking-security-clearances_us_5b562356e4b0de86f48f97bb?utm_medium= email&utm_campaign=__TheMorningEmail__072418&utm_content=__TheMorningEmail__072418+CID_64f5b4b2 1f9bed56e5feb9689fda2887&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=HuffPost&ncid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__072418

security clearances are required for 100Ks of jobs in the private sector

I wonder if Don The Con Trash got AIDS from Roy Cohn

boutons_deux
07-24-2018, 07:34 AM
Trash is a two-bit, cheap-ass, vindictive, dickless, criminal piece of shit and illegit so-called PVL Pres

RandomGuy
07-25-2018, 11:02 AM

Former Trump official: No one 'minding the store' at White House on cyberthreats

Amid mounting warnings about another Russian cyberattack on the 2018 midterm elections, President Trump’s former homeland security adviser said a recent staff shakeup ordered by national security adviser John Bolton has left the White House with nobody in charge of U.S. cyber policy and raised concerns about “who is
minding the store.”

“On cyber, there is no clear person and or clear driver, and there is no clear muscle memory,” said Tom Bossert, who served as White House homeland security adviser until last April, in an interview with the Yahoo News podcast Skullduggery.

“In some way playing jazz music, improvising policy because there is no clear playbook for it,” Bossert said. “And so, yes, if you’re asking me do I have any concerns? The concern would be who’s minding the store in the coordination and development … of new and creative cyber policies and strategies.”

Regardless of reasons for it (although we can guess at the, and shocker, they are kakistocratic), nothing is being done to replace them it seems.

What reasons would an administration have for not thinking this is important? Incompetence? or something else?

boutons_deux
07-25-2018, 12:12 PM
I have little confidence that red/slave states have the competence or interest to secure their often-old equipment, esp when up against the very sophisticated Russian/NKorean/Chinese hackers

Government doles out election security funds to states

The Trump administration has given states $380 million to upgrade and secure their voting technology.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/381015-government-doles-out-election-security-funds-to-states

"states rights" here means incompetent, non-serious states have the right to be negligent. No way Congress imposes security requirements on states

Repugs are obviously quite happy, satisfied to have Pootin working to elect Repugs.