PDA

View Full Version : OT: Drake..

spursistan
07-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Someone explain to me why his corny ass, late 1990s popmusic-esque shit is popular? :lol

Is this nigga actually now producing stuff only for the sake social media memes effect..He is so vacuous and bland even by the fake emotional baggery standards of today's rap. :lol..

Raven
07-23-2018, 04:20 PM
because it's pop.. pop stands for popular, so there..

spursistan
07-23-2018, 04:27 PM
because it's pop.. pop stands for popular, so there..
He then should stop "feuding" and embrace his Justin Timberlake/Bieber self :lol..

spurraider21
07-23-2018, 05:31 PM
he's thrilled with the trade... a lot of things rhyme with kawhi

Arcadian
07-23-2018, 05:59 PM
I'm proud to say I've never voluntarily listened to anything he's produced. I'm sure some of it has accidentally leaked into my brain a few times, but I wouldn't know a Drake song if I heard it, and I'd like to keep it that way. Fuck mainstream music.

Fabbs
07-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Faggot forum please.

Spurtacular
07-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Anyone monoslob intellect and lower loves him. There's a lot of people in that boat; scary to think.

ambchang
07-23-2018, 08:59 PM
What is good music nowadays? I’m so old I’m disconnect from the entire scene.

Not just rap and hip hop, but music in general. What’s so really good stuff?

Killakobe81
07-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Anyone monoslob intellect and lower loves him. There's a lot of people in that boat; scary to think.

Harlem defends Drake too...
Can't deny he has talent and has been very popular /successful...
But dude just dropped a double album without enough good music to fill half of one.
Years from now this project will be known for:
1. the video for God's plan and the money he donated to inner city kids in Miami. (great deed but I am sure also self-serving and a mediocre song.
2. Him admitting he knocked up an IG model and a mediocre one at that... Because...
3. HE WAS embarrassed by Pusha
4. THE video for Nice for What which became a woman's anthem and is probably the only club hit he has which he used to be good at making.
5. HE bitches out on his beef but made some vague shots at Kanye instead of going at Push.

baseline bum
07-23-2018, 09:33 PM
But dude just dropped a double album without enough good music to fill half of one.

So modern day Master P? :lol

benefactor
07-23-2018, 09:37 PM
So modern day Master P? :lol
:lol:tu

Chucho
07-23-2018, 10:38 PM
Drake is the antithesis of what rap music is about. It's a toss up between him and Snitch Ross on who the biggest fraud is. Canadian Jew whiteboy Teeny Bop telenovela actor rapping about things he had before he "got in the game" vs. a prison guard, no criminal record, identity thief. Both rap about shit they've never and places they've never been.

Rap used to be the ghetto blues- it was a poetic, musical diatribe that resonated with the urban youth because they shared the same plight. Then came the bling-bling consumerism rap, but it was still from the same credo that made rap what it was. It hasn't been the same since Lil Wayne proclaimed "hip hop is dead" which was a lie and Cash Money begat the faggot movement. Rap/hip-hop- the music the genre originally spawned and, most importantly, the message and the audience that message was crafted for are dead. Now it's a homosexual filled industry Whitey runs.

DAF86
07-23-2018, 11:04 PM
Nobody knows him outside of North America, tbh.

midnightpulp
07-23-2018, 11:24 PM
I'm not the biggest hip-hop fan and never listened to Drake, but the genre seems to be at a dead end creatively (at least in the mainstream) for the most part. The biggest "hip hop" acts in the country right now are face-tatted morons and about 70 different iterations of "Lil something something" that don't so much as rap as mumble/scream catchphrases (most of these songs only have like one badly written verse) over terribly produced FLStudio "beats."

Can someone explain the appeal of 6xxx6ninenine or whatever the fuck his name is and other similar soundcloud garbage? Do kids really think this shit "scares" parents? I'm old enough to be a parent of a teenager and I would just laugh and mock my offspring if I caught him/her listening to some dipshit mumble about popping "Xannies" in da club.

BD24
07-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Probably has a big Pinoy fan base in Canada

midnightpulp
07-24-2018, 12:11 AM
What is good music nowadays? I’m so old I’m disconnect from the entire scene.

Not just rap and hip hop, but music in general. What’s so really good stuff?

I remember you being a bit of an audiophile. "Good music" is still being made in the classical/jazz/academic areas, and it's exceedingly well mixed and mastered, unlike modern pop which they master and mix for earbuds and Bluetooth speakers. For popular music, Battles is good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhLzHuUYmo

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2018, 12:11 AM
Nobody knows him outside of North America, tbh.

He's the most globally streamed artist of the past 5 years:lol

Drake is a living legend, it's mostly suburban males that dislike him..he makes memorable, light-hearted dance and emotional music, you don't need to be a "lyricist" like boring-ass Nas or Pusha T to be considered a great rapper..

BD24
07-24-2018, 12:21 AM
Harlem defending a rapper that makes music for women and white teenagers :lol

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2018, 12:33 AM
Sorry to break it to you, but virtually all mainstream rap is consumed heavily by young white kids:lol they're far more likely to listen to shitty rappers like Kendrick or 2Pac, since there's an element of shame for white suburban males for listening to Drake IMO..

midnightpulp
07-24-2018, 12:37 AM
Sorry to break it to you, but virtually all mainstream rap is consumed heavily by young white kids:lol they're far more likely to listen to shitty rappers like Kendrick or 2Pac, since there's an element of shame for white suburban males for listening to Drake IMO..

Why is that? Is he too much like them, thus they can't vicariously live the dangerous thug lifestyle through his music like they can a gangsta rapper?

BD24
07-24-2018, 12:38 AM
Kendrick a shitty rapper. You will go to all ends of earth to defend your fellow Canadian :lol

Put it this way, the same people that listen to Taylor Swift listen to Drake. That’s his fan base. Seems you fall into that wagon as well.

HarlemHeat37
07-24-2018, 12:59 AM
Why is that? Is he too much like them, thus they can't vicariously live the dangerous thug lifestyle through his music like they can a gangsta rapper?

Yes, precisely..those kids were more likely to listen to somebody like Meek Mill..

A huge part of mainstream rap and the culture in general is the portrayal of a particular image that they'll never live..it used to be that + rebellion, but the latter is moot now, as the parents of these kids grew up listening to rap..

As for today's shit, I don't understand the appeal of somebody like 6ixnine, so I can't answer that:lol I don't really listen to street shit anymore anyways, that part of my life has been dead..it doesn't age well..

DAF86
07-24-2018, 01:00 AM
He's the most globally streamed artist of the past 5 years:lol

Drake is a living legend, it's mostly suburban males that dislike him..he makes memorable, light-hearted dance and emotional music, you don't need to be a "lyricist" like boring-ass Nas or Pusha T to be considered a great rapper..

Streamed where? Spotify? Most people around the globe still use youtube as the premier source for internet music, tbh. I would also like to see how those streams are distributed. Anyway, I shouldn't have said "outside of North America", but from the places I know, like South America and Latin European countries, I can assure you that Drake could walk the streets and 90% of the people wouldn't recognize him, tbh.

Down Under
07-24-2018, 01:07 AM
I remember you being a bit of an audiophile. "Good music" is still being made in the classical/jazz/academic areas, and it's exceedingly well mixed and mastered, unlike modern pop which they master and mix for earbuds and Bluetooth speakers. For popular music, Battles is good stuff.

Metal along with classical/jazz is the most original genre. Unfortunately rock died a couple of decades ago, rap too. There's only so long you can keep making certain genre's IMO.

Down Under
07-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Who cares who's the most streamed/popular artist. Popular music has been manufactured & aimed at the most impressionable group for decades - teenage girls. Can't say Britney Spears or Ricky Martin ever contributed anything to music despite millions of album sales.

Bynumite
07-24-2018, 01:17 AM
Pusha put him in a body bag. In a different era and if Drake was an actual rapper that would have damaged his career.

But since Drake is a male Miley Cyrus. He doesn't write or produce, just lends his voice. He will remain popular until his fanbase of teenage white girls grows out of his music.

Spurtacular
07-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Would you rather go to a Spice Girls reunion concert or a Drake concert?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/mel-b-says-spice-girls-reunion-definitely-happening-this-year/ar-BBL0kWi?ocid=spartandhp

Spurtacular
07-24-2018, 02:16 AM
Drake is the antithesis of what rap music is about. It's a toss up between him and Snitch Ross on who the biggest fraud is. Canadian Jew whiteboy Teeny Bop telenovela actor rapping about things he had before he "got in the game" vs. a prison guard, no criminal record, identity thief. Both rap about shit they've never and places they've never been.

Rap used to be the ghetto blues- it was a poetic, musical diatribe that resonated with the urban youth because they shared the same plight. Then came the bling-bling consumerism rap, but it was still from the same credo that made rap what it was. It hasn't been the same since Lil Wayne proclaimed "hip hop is dead" which was a lie and Cash Money begat the faggot movement. Rap/hip-hop- the music the genre originally spawned and, most importantly, the message and the audience that message was crafted for are dead. Now it's a homosexual filled industry Whitey runs.

:depressedSo touching, your dishonor.

:lmao So desperate to go back to what you really really really believed in at 15.

Killakobe81
07-24-2018, 05:04 AM

Please Kendrick and Drake are not even comparable. Kendrick on the songs he is just featured on the Black Panther soundtrack has put out more quality music than Drake has this year. Drake easily has more streams/views... But I would much rather maintain my artistic integrity and still sell records and make millions than to sell my soul to do so.
Drake is trying to find himself yiu can tell.it seems he almost wants to switch to R&B singer full time on this project. Maybe that will work for him I don't know. But pretty crazy that so far he really doesn't have a classic album this late in to his career He has plenty of hits: The motto, hotline bling etc.
But nothing close to Illmatic, Blueprint, TPAB, Dropout etc. You can make popular music that still resonates with the culture outside of strip clubs... And teenage girls... DRAKE just never really figured it out.
As for the Six nine crap dude is dumb AF... Clashing out gang culture in Houston, LA etc he is playing a very dangerous game with borderline talent.

ambchang
07-24-2018, 05:42 AM

Thanks. Good stuff. Good to see something with a little depth.

Can’t say I’m an audiophile as I got tin ears. That said, just got an old sansui amp. Those things sounds phenomenal. Gonna have it restored but it’s gonna cost me a pretty penny. I just don’t have the skills to do it.

Listening to old stuff still, death cab for cutie lately, broken social scene as well. But just older bands in general.

lebomb
07-24-2018, 06:22 AM
He is MUCH, MUCH better than all of the "lil" this and "lil" that rappers that are literally here today and gone tomorrow with their WACK rap and so called hip-hop. Its garbage. Drakes tunes at least are listenable and carry a good beat.

lefty
07-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Would you rather go to a Spice Girls reunion concert or a Drake concert?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/mel-b-says-spice-girls-reunion-definitely-happening-this-year/ar-BBL0kWi?ocid=spartandhp

Why not suggest a beisbol game while you're at it?

CitizenDwayne
07-24-2018, 08:09 AM
I liked Pusha T’s “Daytona”. He shits on Drake quite a bit on there.

I just have a hard time envisioning a grown ass man willingly listening to Drake by himself.

BD24
07-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Please Kendrick and Drake are not even comparable. Kendrick on the songs he is just featured on the Black Panther soundtrack has put out more quality music than Drake has this year. Drake easily has more streams/views... But I would much rather maintain my artistic integrity and still sell records and make millions than to sell my soul to do so.
Drake is trying to find himself yiu can tell.it seems he almost wants to switch to R&B singer full time on this project. Maybe that will work for him I don't know. But pretty crazy that so far he really doesn't have a classic album this late in to his career He has plenty of hits: The motto, hotline bling etc.
But nothing close to Illmatic, Blueprint, TPAB, Dropout etc. You can make popular music that still resonates with the culture outside of strip clubs... And teenage girls... DRAKE just never really figured it out.
As for the Six nine crap dude is dumb AF... Clashing out gang culture in Houston, LA etc he is playing a very dangerous game with borderline talent.
Spot on tbh.

stopped responding when he called Kendrick a shitty rapper. Clearly he is just doing his contrarian bullshit, and on the off chance he actually thinks Kendrick is shitty he isn’t worth discussing rap with tbh.

DMC
07-24-2018, 09:16 AM
I'm not the biggest hip-hop fan and never listened to Drake, but the genre seems to be at a dead end creatively (at least in the mainstream) for the most part. The biggest "hip hop" acts in the country right now are face-tatted morons and about 70 different iterations of "Lil something something" that don't so much as rap as mumble/scream catchphrases (most of these songs only have like one badly written verse) over terribly produced FLStudio "beats."

Can someone explain the appeal of 6xxx6ninenine or whatever the fuck his name is and other similar soundcloud garbage? Do kids really think this shit "scares" parents? I'm old enough to be a parent of a teenager and I would just laugh and mock my offspring if I caught him/her listening to some dipshit mumble about popping "Xannies" in da club.

Confounded whipper snappers and their new agey crap isn't music. Benny Goodman, that was music.

Killakobe81
07-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Can’t say I’m an audiophile as I got tin ears. That said, just got an old sansui amp. Those things sounds phenomenal. Gonna have it restored but it’s gonna cost me a pretty penny. I just don’t have the skills to do it.

Listening to old stuff still, death cab for cutie lately, broken social scene as well. But just older bands in general.

Amb knew there was a reason I fux with ya...
That is good stuff even if it's old.
Lately a buddy of mine got me access to some hi-res remaster of Stevie, Miles, Coltrane and even some Smashing Pumpkins. I need to update some components in my chain (my AVR is good but the one I want and preamp are both pricey) but really love the quality difference it makes already.

Chucho
07-24-2018, 11:16 AM
Lately a buddy of mine got me access to some hi-res remaster of Stevie, Miles, Coltrane and even some Smashing Pumpkins. I need to update some components in my chain (my AVR is good but the one I want and preamp are both pricey) but really love the quality difference it makes already.

Billy Corrigan is one of the most under rated, unnoticed musical geniuses of all time. He wrote every song and played basically every instrument on every album they recorded and the other band members were on the band for live gigs essentially. And you got to love the way he trolled the bands that called him a sellout when they made it big.

Mainstream music can be good. Drake isn't good tho.

Chucho
07-24-2018, 11:20 AM
:depressedSo touching, your dishonor.

:lmao So desperate to go back to what you really really really believed in at 15.

Yeah, your statements/insults hold no weight. You're a whacked out weirdo who has mentioned two specific males- your objects of desire obviously- enough times to cover 50 pages in just a few months.

You're a closeted homo with an easily spotted love for black dick attached to black she-males and you stalk two random dudes on a Spurs message board. You've got some issues, seek help you weirdo.

hater
07-24-2018, 11:50 AM
American pop is dead to me tbqh

So dont listen to drake or thqt kardasian trump guy

I usually listed to old school or new latin music. New latin music is dope even with the reggaeton fad which IMO is finally starting to die

Btw talking about streamed music. That Despacito youtube is almost at 6 billion views

Billion

ambchang
07-24-2018, 12:12 PM

I’ve always been a rock guy but I’m trying to get into jazz and blues. Mostly the biggest of the names like Miles Davis and John Coltrane. But for rock, anything from Beatles to white stripes is good with me. Some of the newer stuff is nice as well
But I’m just so out of it.

The home setup is decent just nothing amazing, and most of that is through headphones (grado, hifiman, stax, diy even) and they sound amazing. I’d have to spend so much more for an equivalent quality for speakers.

Killakobe81
07-24-2018, 01:09 PM
I’ve always been a rock guy but I’m trying to get into jazz and blues. Mostly the biggest of the names like Miles Davis and John Coltrane. But for rock, anything from Beatles to white stripes is good with me. Some of the newer stuff is nice as well

The home setup is decent just nothing amazing, and most of that is through headphones (grado, hifiman, stax, diy even) and they sound amazing. I’d have to spend so much more for an equivalent quality for speakers.

That is one of the reasons why Kendrick's TPAB is so good it mixes westcoast 90's rap, with funk, sould and rock. The instrumentation is amazing including horns. Good Kdd and DMAN are both excellent and DAMN is excellent sonically but musically TPAB is probably the best rap album since Kanye' MDTF which also fused so many difffernt sounds from Rhianna to ELton John.

As for speakers oobviously you could spend crazy dough but as long as you have something decent it really enhances the game viewing experience as well as music. Wont be as good as your headphones but at least you can clean, do projects troll kobe stans while you listen without being restricted a cord. :toast

DJR210
07-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Pusha T really hurt this dude's bottom line for now.. The whole 30 year old deadbeat dad thing shit on his shtick of being some young 20 something year old bachelor singing songs for the lonely or depressed out there. It went from people worshiping this guy, to a ton of negative reviews of his latest album and the outrage on the Spotify "takeover" shit.. shouldn't have been so eager to beef with a lyricist :lol

lebomb
07-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Pusha T is whack as all hell. Nigga sounds like a cartoon character.

vy65
07-24-2018, 03:35 PM

vWbhpqxLHVE

Killakobe81
07-24-2018, 03:45 PM
BTW can't be a great rapper if you use ghost writers. That makes you an actor or a performer not a true rap artist.

vy65
07-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Drake is seriously horse shit. Anyone who listens to that shit is actually retarded.

Spurtacular
07-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Yeah, your statements/insults hold no weight. You're a whacked out weirdo who has mentioned two specific males- your objects of desire obviously- enough times to cover 50 pages in just a few months.

You're a closeted homo with an easily spotted love for black dick attached to black she-males and you stalk two random dudes on a Spurs message board. You've got some issues, seek help you weirdo.

Objection, your dishonor!

You're an idiot! :lmao

Clipper Nation
07-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Pusha T really hurt this dude's bottom line for now.. The whole 30 year old deadbeat dad thing shit on his shtick of being some young 20 something year old bachelor singing songs for the lonely or depressed out there. It went from people worshiping this guy, to a ton of negative reviews of his latest album and the outrage on the Spotify "takeover" shit.. shouldn't have been so eager to beef with a lyricist :lol
:lol Also, the only way the lyrics on Scorpion could have been more embarrassing for Drake is if Push ghostwrote them himself. Dude literally rewrote the album at the last minute to put in some lines about how he really is what Pusha said he was.

The Gemini Method
07-24-2018, 06:49 PM
Not a Drake fan, but he fill that niche well. Pusha T has been garbage up until the point he pulled the low bearing fruit and dropped Drake. Dude is redundant about the "game" but didn't really thrive in it. But he did have others to float his career. Got to give the Canadian credit for keeping himself paid. Even if the biggest fans are teenage girls and what seems the local radio stations here in L.A.

ambchang
07-24-2018, 09:38 PM
That is one of the reasons why Kendrick's TPAB is so good it mixes westcoast 90's rap, with funk, sould and rock. The instrumentation is amazing including horns. Good Kdd and DMAN are both excellent and DAMN is excellent sonically but musically TPAB is probably the best rap album since Kanye' MDTF which also fused so many difffernt sounds from Rhianna to ELton John.

As for speakers oobviously you could spend crazy dough but as long as you have something decent it really enhances the game viewing experience as well as music. Wont be as good as your headphones but at least you can clean, do projects troll kobe stans while you listen without being restricted a cord. :toast

I actually got good kid maad city because you guys are pushing Kendrick so much. I haven’t had a good listen yet but like what I heard. It reminds me of the early outcast (aquemini) but I could be way off.

Big fan of the flaming lips and all that grunge stuff in the early mid 90s but that entire went down the gutter with nickel back and creed. Loved rage against the machine but then limp bizkit ruined that genre as well.

Huge fan of Radiohead but they aren’t really a genre and post rock died pretty quick without really taking off.

So now I’m that angry old man shitting on popular music because the lyrics are just embarrassing. I heard imagine dragon song once on radio and it was just retarded

midnightpulp
07-24-2018, 10:01 PM

What gear (speakers, receiver, etc) are you running?

midnightpulp
07-24-2018, 10:03 PM

Sansui made some of the best receivers. What model is it?

Did you ever buy a set of speakers? You were looking at PSB, if I remember.

Killakobe81
07-24-2018, 10:07 PM
What gear (speakers, receiver, etc) are you running?

Marantz avr, klipsch refference towers and surrounds elac height speakers 2svs subs the 12s, not the monster 1 sub to rule them all one... No pre amp yet. Sony projector and Sony hi Res player

midnightpulp
07-24-2018, 10:15 PM
Marantz avr, klipsch refference towers and surrounds elac height speakers 2svs subs the 12s, not the monster 1 sub to rule them all one... No pre amp yet. Sony projector and Sony hi Res player

Same. I have the SR6009. 2 SVS subs is godly. :wow. Yeah, dual subs (or more) are the way to go for bass accuracy and smooths out the bass in the room. I have a single Rythmik 12" but eventually want to go dual. Nerdy "audiophile" shit. https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

DJR210
07-24-2018, 10:18 PM
:lol Also, the only way the lyrics on Scorpion could have been more embarrassing for Drake is if Push ghostwrote them himself. Dude literally rewrote the album at the last minute to put in some lines about how he really is what Pusha said he was.

Yeah, I saw a bunch of articles on my feed come up saying he mentioned accusations Push made on Adidon.. all in a span of like 2 weeks. Pusha T made him rethink his life :lol

midnightpulp
07-25-2018, 03:41 AM

This is actually a myth (and one I'm not particularly sure how it started). Here's a quote from a respected member of the stereo enthusiast community (the term audiophile implies kind of a cultist, irrational mindset :lol) who takes a scientific approach toward audio rather than the all too often subjective approach that has people believing 5000.00 cables magically open up a new audio world.

http://i68.tinypic.com/10oe1ll.jpg

A pair of monitors like the JBL LSR305s measure better than any headphone in existence and cost all of 299.99 for the pair. Room issues also aren't the problem as they once were perceived to be. As psychoacoustic researcher Floyd Toole (Harman's former chief scientist) found:

Humans evolved while listening in reflective spaces, and are comfortable listening in them. In fact, it is now widely recognized that we perceptually "stream" the sound of the room as separate from the sound of the sources - that is what happens in live performances. A Steinway is a Steinway; only the hall changes. Performance halls generally don’t have room mode problems because they are so large. The parallel situation in sound reproduction is that a good loudspeaker is a good loudspeaker, and its virtues are appreciated in a wide variety of rooms – except for the differences in the bass region.

Bass is typically the trickiest thing to get right in rooms, and that problem can be mitigated by multiple subs or room treatment. I say this to not scare you off of buying <1000.00 speakers. You don't need to spend 5 figures on speakers to get equivalent performance to a 300.00 pair of headphones. I honestly think it's the reverse, since headphones can't really produce a soundstage (the holographic representation of singers/musicians in the room) without something like a Smyth Realizer (5000.00) and can't resolve dynamics like speakers. And if you prefer the close/inside the head imaging of headphones, you can always do a nearfield speaker setup which produces a similar fine detail result but with more dimensionality.

Killakobe81
07-25-2018, 04:56 AM
Same. I have the SR6009. 2 SVS subs is godly. :wow. Yeah, dual subs (or more) are the way to go for bass accuracy and smooths out the bass in the room. I have a single Rythmik 12" but eventually want to go dual. Nerdy "audiophile" shit. https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

Appreciate it. I realize it's a process. I figured I'll wait until I can get the avr and pre amp I truly want it's an investment. Right now my man space is not fully enclosed its a large 2nd story game room and sound proofing and enclosing it will be a 2019 home improvement project. My wife is finishing a 2nd Nursing degree so all projects on hold til she finishes.

ambchang
07-25-2018, 05:45 AM
Sansui made some of the best receivers. What model is it?

Did you ever buy a set of speakers? You were looking at PSB, if I remember.

I got the integrated amps. Have the au717 for about two years and now just got the au11000a. The 11ka got serious power but I wanted to have it restored as it is a 40 yo amp.

Not sure if I should have the 717 restored first then sell or just straight out sell it. The 717 is in great shape overall, like a three year old piece of gear. The 11ka needs a bit of attention.

For speakers I just some book shelves. Whafedale diamond 10.1. Will get some floor standing when money flows a little.

ambchang
07-25-2018, 05:50 AM
This is actually a myth (and one I'm not particularly sure how it started). Here's a quote from a respected member of the stereo enthusiast community (the term audiophile implies kind of a cultist, irrational mindset :lol) who takes a scientific approach toward audio rather than the all too often subjective approach that has people believing 5000.00 cables magically open up a new audio world.

http://i68.tinypic.com/10oe1ll.jpg

A pair of monitors like the JBL LSR305s measure better than any headphone in existence and cost all of 299.99 for the pair. Room issues also aren't the problem as they once were perceived to be. As psychoacoustic researcher Floyd Toole (Harman's former chief scientist) found:

Bass is typically the trickiest thing to get right in rooms, and that problem can be mitigated by multiple subs or room treatment. I say this to not scare you off of buying <1000.00 speakers. You don't need to spend 5 figures on speakers to get equivalent performance to a 300.00 pair of headphones. I honestly think it's the reverse, since headphones can't really produce a soundstage (the holographic representation of singers/musicians in the room) without something like a Smyth Realizer (5000.00) and can't resolve dynamics like speakers. And if you prefer the close/inside the head imaging of headphones, you can always do a nearfield speaker setup which produces a similar fine detail result but with more dimensionality.

That’s good to know. My headphones are unreasonably expensive, second handed, so I’m thinking I can get better sound just selling those and get better speakers. Thinking of getting an Oppo 105 as source but then again that’s so expensive. Will obviously sell my Cambridge network player in that case.

At the end. I want a chain of Oppo 105, Nad m3 (or m2), then a set of speakers and will call it a day. Not a huge subwoofer fan but will look if need be.

midnightpulp
07-25-2018, 07:13 AM
That’s good to know. My headphones are unreasonably expensive, second handed, so I’m thinking I can get better sound just selling those and get better speakers. Thinking of getting an Oppo 105 as source but then again that’s so expensive. Will obviously sell my Cambridge network player in that case.

At the end. I want a chain of Oppo 105, Nad m3 (or m2), then a set of speakers and will call it a day. Not a huge subwoofer fan but will look if need be.

Oppo makes nice stuff but at the end of the day it's just a transport to play your media. I take it you want the Oppo since it's a universal player that can play SACDs, DVD-A, etc, etc. Yamaha make reasonably priced universal players for much less. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yambds681bl/yamaha-bd-s681-blu-ray-player/1.html

I would bet any amount of money that even the most critical ear would not be able to tell the two players apart in a blind test. DACs are essentially all the same now, even in lower end gear. You can put the difference toward speakers, which is the most important part of the chain. For speaker reviews when you're shopping, read the reviews on Audioholics. They're one of the more objective review sites out there. Stereophile is good, too (like audioholics, they cite measurements).

Killakobe81
07-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Oppo makes nice stuff but at the end of the day it's just a transport to play your media. I take it you want the Oppo since it's a universal player that can play SACDs, DVD-A, etc, etc. Yamaha make reasonably priced universal players for much less. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yambds681bl/yamaha-bd-s681-blu-ray-player/1.html

I would bet any amount of money that even the most critical ear would not be able to tell the two players apart in a blind test. DACs are essentially all the same now, even in lower end gear. You can put the difference toward speakers, which is the most important part of the chain. For speaker reviews when you're shopping, read the reviews on Audioholics. They're one of the more objective review sites out there. Stereophile is good, too (like audioholics, they cite measurements).

Good knowledge you dropping on there mid.
Plus Oppo is getting out of business of making players this year.
They claim they will still support but I am not 100% sure I trust that.
when I buy good equipment (which Oppo is) I expect it to last a very long time.
My guess if you buy a Oppo player now not only will you pay a premium (post announcement they have become harder to find and the price has skyrocketed on the secondary market) but their support will not last as long as that player will. Which if you do care about being able to play all disc dormats may be come an issue once they stop pushing out updates.

ambchang
07-25-2018, 10:34 AM

I am looking into Oppo because of value for money, and strictly because of the audio circuitry. I have the Cambridge CXN in one system, and then a Mytek 192DSD Dac for my office, and I have to say DACs do make a difference. Just the pacing and the clarity is different, and in general, just strictly on the DAC side, I actually prefer the Mytek.

For speakers, they go up to crazy prices sometimes, but being a Canuck, will stay with PSB.

midnightpulp
07-26-2018, 12:14 AM
I am looking into Oppo because of value for money, and strictly because of the audio circuitry. I have the Cambridge CXN in one system, and then a Mytek 192DSD Dac for my office, and I have to say DACs do make a difference. Just the pacing and the clarity is different, and in general, just strictly on the DAC side, I actually prefer the Mytek.

For speakers, they go up to crazy prices sometimes, but being a Canuck, will stay with PSB.

If you feel you can get an Oppo without it eating into your speaker budget, yeah, go for it. Just make sure you spend every penny you can on your speakers. They are the most important link in the sound quality chain. Can't go wrong with PSB. They've dusted other Canadian high-end companies like Paradigm, so if you want to stick to Canadian made, PSB is the choice. Are you looking at their flagship model the T3?

Killakobe81
07-26-2018, 06:27 AM
If you feel you can get an Oppo without it eating into your speaker budget, yeah, go for it. Just make sure you spend every penny you can on your speakers. They are the most important link in the sound quality chain. Can't go wrong with PSB. They've dusted other Canadian high-end companies like Paradigm, so if you want to stick to Canadian made, PSB is the choice. Are you looking at their flagship model the T3?

Either of yall still mess with or gotten in to the Vinyl Renaissance? Some audiophiles hate it say they would never go backwards while some audio enthusiasts still swear by the experience.

midnightpulp
07-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Either of yall still mess with or gotten in to the Vinyl Renaissance? Some audiophiles hate it say they would never go backwards while some audio enthusiasts still swear by the experience.

Always been into LPs and have a large collection that I thrifted when CDs became stupidly expensive in the late 90s/early 00s. Remember how the general price for new CD was 18.99 then?

Yeah, LPs are worth getting into. LPs will still have the best master of a lot of pre-90s music. Many remasters of classic rock, soul, pop etc are terrible, victims of the loudness war philosophy. The biggest determinant of sound quality other than the speakers is how the music was mastered. Something like Californication sounds more like shit the better your gear gets. If you're wondering about which version of a particular album is mastered the best, just type search the title on google, best master, and steve Hoffman. The forum members there have seemed to compare every album in existence lol. Ex. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/miles-davis-bitches-brew-best-sounding-cd.201033/

Killakobe81
07-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Always been into LPs and have a large collection that I thrifted when CDs became stupidly expensive in the late 90s/early 00s. Remember how the general price for new CD was 18.99 then?

Yeah, LPs are worth getting into. LPs will still have the best master of a lot of pre-90s music. Many remasters of classic rock, soul, pop etc are terrible, victims of the loudness war philosophy. The biggest determinant of sound quality other than the speakers is how the music was mastered. Something like Californication sounds more like shit the better your gear gets. If you're wondering about which version of a particular album is mastered the best, just type search the title on google, best master, and steve Hoffman. The forum members there have seemed to compare every album in existence lol. Ex. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/miles-davis-bitches-brew-best-sounding-cd.201033/

Appreciate it Mid. Funny how things have reversed I can find lots of Cd's even hard to find ones in the secondary market for $5-8.99. LP's new are twice that and their prices on the used market is rising ... that is awesome to hear I will use that serach.

For demo or reffernce material can you give me a suggestion in each of the following categories: Rock, Classical (bach, betthoven etc), rap, Jazz, funk, Disco, Country, 80's pop. No rush , looking for both quality of the music (i know tastes are subjective) but even more important sound staging, instrumentation, quality masters etc.

Lets say Amb came over something you would use to demo for him.
No rush, whenever you get to it.

ambchang
07-26-2018, 09:21 AM
No way I can afford flagships. I’m thinking mid range stuff as the upstream cabin is likely going to be of that caliber anyways. Looking at used synchrony stuff right now. Also thinking about focal 826 but they ain’t Canuck.

Amp wise I will either stick with my ancient sansuis or go with Nad.

ambchang
07-26-2018, 09:24 AM

I have a very cheap turntable and some vinyls but it would be a huge drain for me to get all the vinyl back. They are $30 to $40 each and there’s at least 100 to 150 albums I listen to seriously. So that will cost me $3000 to $4500 and I’d rather spend on gear.

Vinyl generally sounds warmer because the disc itself is scratched out and deteriorated. The first frequencies to go are the high frequencies and it’s actually not a good thing even though it sounds pleasant to the ears.

ambchang
07-26-2018, 09:26 AM

You’re right. Mastering wasn’t properly done for a while. But the costs of vinyl and the wear is just too much to deal with for me. I only have like 10 vinyls.

Californication sounds like ass. Ruined a perfectly great album.

Killakobe81
07-26-2018, 09:36 AM
No way I can afford flagships. I’m thinking mid range stuff as the upstream cabin is likely going to be of that caliber anyways. Looking at used synchrony stuff right now. Also thinking about focal 826 but they ain’t Canuck.

Amp wise I will either stick with my ancient sansuis or go with Nad.

I am mostly dealing with mid-range stuff myself.
Flagship is to cost prohibitive right now.
Mid is right great speakers do make a great difference but just doesnt make sense for me right now. and i cant afford what I would want yet anyways.

ambchang
07-26-2018, 09:40 AM
I am mostly dealing with mid-range stuff myself.
Flagship is to cost prohibitive right now.
Mid is right great speakers do make a great difference but just doesnt make sense for me right now. and i cant afford what I would want yet anyways.

Still spending my money on music. I must have spent about $15k to $20k over the years just buying music.

Killakobe81
07-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Still spending my money on music. I must have spent about $15k to $20k over the years just buying music.

I rmember doping a cost estimate during the Cd era that Mid was spaking of It was before I had kids so I was close but not quite that high but slowed down once the kids came. I will say this tough nowadays when I purchase I i ahve bought digital won some Apple music gift cards in a community service raffle and $100 worth of credit lasted me a almost 3 years because there just wasnt much I wanted in new music and with new music I can accept not having physical media. on classics i still like having the CD (or VINYL)
I need a a new low to mid priced turntable though.

ambchang
07-26-2018, 10:30 AM
I rmember doping a cost estimate during the Cd era that Mid was spaking of It was before I had kids so I was close but not quite that high but slowed down once the kids came. I will say this tough nowadays when I purchase I i ahve bought digital won some Apple music gift cards in a community service raffle and $100 worth of credit lasted me a almost 3 years because there just wasnt much I wanted in new music and with new music I can accept not having physical media. on classics i still like having the CD (or VINYL)
I need a a new low to mid priced turntable though.

Similar for me. I had a $100 a week budget buying music, and I was buying them second hand so each album was about $8 to $10 (was working in HK then so there were these huge markets for cheap second hand stuff). So everyweek, I would head down and get like 10 albums for the two years I was there. Came back home, then kept buying music. Still have the rare binge now and then (getting like 15 CDs in a batch) but that is like once every 6 months instead of once a week now.

BTW, got the Good Kid MAAD city album because you guys kept talking about Kendrick. Didn't have much time to listen to it but I like what I hear. Can't listen to it with kids around for obvious reasons. I am way out of my element, but it reminds me of the early Outkast stuff, aquemini type stuff.

For rap, I pretty much only listen to Jay-Z, 2Pac, Big, Roots and Outkast. Some NWA as well, body count, but not a huge fan of the Snoop and Iced Tea stuff in general as it's too cartoonish at some point. Got some Eminem, Cypress Hill, Beastie Boys and Kid Rock as well ... come to think of it, I think I have more rap stuff than I thought, but they are all very main stream as you can tell.

Huge fan of Rage Against the Machine, I am not sure why they are not really that loved by general hip hop fans, perhaps of the entire collapse of rap-metal due to Limp Bizkit (I have that and Linkin Park as well :lol)

Wanted to get into older stuff like Rakim, any other recommendations from you? You seem to be a much bigger rap fans than me.

Killakobe81
07-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Similar for me. I had a $100 a week budget buying music, and I was buying them second hand so each album was about $8 to $10 (was working in HK then so there were these huge markets for cheap second hand stuff). So everyweek, I would head down and get like 10 albums for the two years I was there. Came back home, then kept buying music. Still have the rare binge now and then (getting like 15 CDs in a batch) but that is like once every 6 months instead of once a week now.

BTW, got the Good Kid MAAD city album because you guys kept talking about Kendrick. Didn't have much time to listen to it but I like what I hear. Can't listen to it with kids around for obvious reasons. I am way out of my element, but it reminds me of the early Outkast stuff, aquemini type stuff.

For rap, I pretty much only listen to Jay-Z, 2Pac, Big, Roots and Outkast. Some NWA as well, body count, but not a huge fan of the Snoop and Iced Tea stuff in general as it's too cartoonish at some point. Got some Eminem, Cypress Hill, Beastie Boys and Kid Rock as well ... come to think of it, I think I have more rap stuff than I thought, but they are all very main stream as you can tell.

Huge fan of Rage Against the Machine, I am not sure why they are not really that loved by general hip hop fans, perhaps of the entire collapse of rap-metal due to Limp Bizkit (I have that and Linkin Park as well :lol)

Wanted to get into older stuff like Rakim, any other recommendations from you? You seem to be a much bigger rap fans than me.

You have a pretty good selection of rap but I wont lie I steer more 90's than other eras because its the one I grew up in and when i could afford music. Definitely add TPAB to your Kendrick list. My dark twisted is Kanye's sonically best album that and droput are good. as far as old school Rap, Rakim is defintely good (iIgot the greatest hits) but for an album I would give Paid in full the edge over Folloe the Leader. EPMD Strictly business is aclassic too.
As you stated some rap is hard to listen to as you age on a consistent basis . The guys you mentioned Outkast/Jay/big/roots are the guys I would go back to. But I would add Ice Cube's death certificate as well which accurately predicted the riots and says a lot about race and politics. Another is Pulbic enemy it takes a nation of millions. I also would recommend Tribe's midnight marauders and the Low End theory which has great jazz samples. I also was a fan of Wutang especially Rae's Only built for cuban Linx (purple Tape) and Wu tang forever ...36 chambers is very good but it sounds as it was mixed in a garage/basement studio.

Killakobe81
07-26-2018, 11:35 AM
As you can tell though I can appreciate the gin and juice style west coast gangsta ...
I prefer conscious rap or at least guys with lyrics. It's all money, hoes, drugs I cant do it. Rap should have an element of potery and or social commentary

midnightpulp
07-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Appreciate it Mid. Funny how things have reversed I can find lots of Cd's even hard to find ones in the secondary market for $5-8.99. LP's new are twice that and their prices on the used market is rising ... that is awesome to hear I will use that serach.

For demo or reffernce material can you give me a suggestion in each of the following categories: Rock, Classical (bach, betthoven etc), rap, Jazz, funk, Disco, Country, 80's pop. No rush , looking for both quality of the music (i know tastes are subjective) but even more important sound staging, instrumentation, quality masters etc.

Lets say Amb came over something you would use to demo for him.
No rush, whenever you get to it.

I haven't personally listed to all of the sound quality heavy hitters, but these are highly regarded recordings in the community.

Classical: Royal Ballet, Living Stereo version (haven't heard). Absurdly expensive, so maybe look for an LP rip. But really, any classical music on any format will be recorded amazingly. Personally, the best sounding classical CD/LP I have is this https://www.ebay.com/p/Holst-The-Planets-CD-Dec-1986-Telarc-Distribution/55125179. Price is right.

Rock: Dark Side of the Moon, anything by Steely Dan, any 70's prog rock are highly regarded for their audio quality. Nirvana's Nevermind is mastered really well. Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms in a personal favorite. On a side note, here's an essential site to use when looking for the best masters. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=Brothers+in+Arms. As you can see, the 1996 "remaster" and the ensuing "hi-res" DVD-Audio versions have worse dynamic range than the 1985 CD version, which you can buy for a couple of bucks.

On that note, don't fall for the "hi res" audio gimmick. Audio doesn't work like video, and humans can't hear beyond the quality of regular 16 bit/44.1khz CD audio, so all this "remastered at 24bit/192khz!" is nonsense. If a Super CD and regular CD were mastered the same, they'll sound the same. Reasons Super CDs are so coveted is because the best masters are often on the format, not because it's "higher resolution." I say this so you don't start spending a bunch of money buying those 24/192 versions from sites like HD Tracks. Look here. The HD Tracks Time Out version isn't any better than the 2009 CD release. https://www.discogs.com/The-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet-Time-Out/release/2378181

Have to go, but will come back later with more recs.

Killakobe81
07-26-2018, 04:55 PM
I haven't personally listed to all of the sound quality heavy hitters, but these are highly regarded recordings in the community.

Classical: Royal Ballet, Living Stereo version (haven't heard). Absurdly expensive, so maybe look for an LP rip. But really, any classical music on any format will be recorded amazingly. Personally, the best sounding classical CD/LP I have is this https://www.ebay.com/p/Holst-The-Planets-CD-Dec-1986-Telarc-Distribution/55125179. Price is right.

Rock: Dark Side of the Moon, anything by Steely Dan, any 70's prog rock are highly regarded for their audio quality. Nirvana's Nevermind is mastered really well. Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms in a personal favorite. On a side note, here's an essential site to use when looking for the best masters. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=Brothers+in+Arms. As you can see, the 1996 "remaster" and the ensuing "hi-res" DVD-Audio versions have worse dynamic range than the 1985 CD version, which you can buy for a couple of bucks.

On that note, don't fall for the "hi res" audio gimmick. Audio doesn't work like video, and humans can't hear beyond the quality of regular 16 bit/44.1khz CD audio, so all this "remastered at 24bit/192khz!" is nonsense. If a Super CD and regular CD were mastered the same, they'll sound the same. Reasons Super CDs are so coveted is because the best masters are often on the format, not because it's "higher resolution." I say this so you don't start spending a bunch of money buying those 24/192 versions from sites like HD Tracks. Look here. The HD Tracks Time Out version isn't any better than the 2009 CD release. https://www.discogs.com/The-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet-Time-Out/release/2378181

Have to go, but will come back later with more recs.

Solid start like dark side and steely Dan.
Thanks for the hi Res info that will save some money down the road.

midnightpulp
07-27-2018, 12:38 AM
Solid start like dark side and steely Dan.
Thanks for the hi Res info that will save some money down the road.

Hip-Hop: I'll sidestep into trip-hop/DnB. Massive Attack Mezzanine. Portishead Dummy. Goldie Timeless.

Jazz: Coltrane A Love Supreme, any stereo LP version. I have a repressed 80's version of ALS and I find it marginally better than the CD version in my Coltrane Box Set. Jazz has the same rules as classical. It'll typically be mastered well, so any Jazz record can be "reference."

Funk/Soul: Another well mastered genre, typically. You've heard the album a million times I'm sure, but Thriller is just on another level of production. Some other ones that stood out to me were Electric Universe by Earth, Wind, and Fire and Ship Ahoy by the O'Jays.

Electronic: Underworld Second Toughest in the Infants. Vespertine by Bjork. Since you have a 5.1 system, seek out the multichannel copy of this. I have it, and it shines in 5.1.

Underrated genre to look out for a great stereo experience is 50s/60s Exotica. Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Esquivel.

ambchang
07-27-2018, 05:48 AM
You have a pretty good selection of rap but I wont lie I steer more 90's than other eras because its the one I grew up in and when i could afford music. Definitely add TPAB to your Kendrick list. My dark twisted is Kanye's sonically best album that and droput are good. as far as old school Rap, Rakim is defintely good (iIgot the greatest hits) but for an album I would give Paid in full the edge over Folloe the Leader. EPMD Strictly business is aclassic too.
As you stated some rap is hard to listen to as you age on a consistent basis . The guys you mentioned Outkast/Jay/big/roots are the guys I would go back to. But I would add Ice Cube's death certificate as well which accurately predicted the riots and says a lot about race and politics. Another is Pulbic enemy it takes a nation of millions. I also would recommend Tribe's midnight marauders and the Low End theory which has great jazz samples. I also was a fan of Wutang especially Rae's Only built for cuban Linx (purple Tape) and Wu tang forever ...36 chambers is very good but it sounds as it was mixed in a garage/basement studio.

Thanks for the recommendation. Another $100 gone this weekend :lol.

Always wanted to try tribe as I heard great things. Also want to try fishbone (rock though), and some of the older r&b stuff.

Have you tried portishead? Twenty years later and it still sounds amazing. I think as I age I am getting a better appreciation of softer lighter music. It used to be all nirvana and foo fighters (still love that stuff) but I’m falling in love with music from Jeff Buckley even though I’ve had the album for 25 years.

Also try flaming lips if you haven’t already. Tool as well.

Arcadian
07-27-2018, 06:09 AM
I fucking love Portishead!

Killakobe81
07-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Another $100 gone this weekend :lol.

Always wanted to try tribe as I heard great things. Also want to try fishbone (rock though), and some of the older r&b stuff.

Have you tried portishead? Twenty years later and it still sounds amazing. I think as I age I am getting a better appreciation of softer lighter music. It used to be all nirvana and foo fighters (still love that stuff) but I’m falling in love with music from Jeff Buckley even though I’ve had the album for 25 years.

Also try flaming lips if you haven’t already. Tool as well.

Appreciate it.
So glad we turned a thread on corny Drake in to a space to discuss god music not only rap but classical, jazz and Rock.
Either of you do county?
My mom loved all from Beatles to Otis to country.
I dont like it much but I live in Taxas and when any off the old Dolly, Reba, Conway twitty etc comes on I like it.
I am assuming its main stream/pop country though.
I just have never purchased a country song in my life ...well at least not for myself.

ambchang
07-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Appreciate it.
So glad we turned a thread on corny Drake in to a space to discuss god music not only rap but classical, jazz and Rock.
Either of you do county?
I dont like it much but I live in Taxas and when any off the old Dolly, Reba, Conway twitty etc comes on I like it.
I just have never purchased a country song in my life ...well at least not for myself.

Country really got a bad rep because of all the crappy me country from Garth brooks and shania Twain. But that’s like saying rap sucks because of drake and neu metal is horrible because of limp bizkit.

I don’t listen to country much but Wilco is phenomenal stuff, equal parts insightful and hilarious. A lot of jack whites stuff is clearly country based. Most of the early rock had a country vibe to it to be honest.

Oh, another rock band to recommend, vampire weekend. Arctic monkeys are great as well. The. My bloody valentines, pavement , stone roses, Inspiral carpets, Radiohead, are all fantastic.

Post rock stuff start with Mogwai and sigur ros, then if you are in Texas you have to listen to explosions in the sky.

Totally agree about the corny thread turning into a good discussion thread.

My dad is a big classical guy but I never got into it. Some Mozart’s and Beethoven and Vivaldi but I don’t know anything in that realm.

koriwhat
07-27-2018, 05:29 PM
the youngins love shit pop music not made by the actual pop star who was never hard in the streets but grew up in the suburbs playing make believe on tv and now in the arena of "hip hop". sad times we are living in.

koriwhat
07-27-2018, 05:31 PM
I fucking love Portishead!

:tu

koriwhat
07-27-2018, 05:32 PM
Country really got a bad rep because of all the crappy me country from Garth brooks and shania Twain. But that’s like saying rap sucks because of drake and neu metal is horrible because of limp bizkit.

I don’t listen to country much but Wilco is phenomenal stuff, equal parts insightful and hilarious. A lot of jack whites stuff is clearly country based. Most of the early rock had a country vibe to it to be honest.

Oh, another rock band to recommend, vampire weekend. Arctic monkeys are great as well. The. My bloody valentines, pavement , stone roses, Inspiral carpets, Radiohead, are all fantastic.

Post rock stuff start with Mogwai and sigur ros, then if you are in Texas you have to listen to explosions in the sky.

Totally agree about the corny thread turning into a good discussion thread.

My dad is a big classical guy but I never got into it. Some Mozart’s and Beethoven and Vivaldi but I don’t know anything in that realm.

martins robbins, any of the hanks, conway for sure, highway men, etc... great country!

Killakobe81
07-27-2018, 05:43 PM
martins robbins, any of the hanks, conway for sure, highway men, etc... great country!

Love Martin Robbins... Even before Breaking Bad the old cowboy dudes are the best does he have a good recording to hunt for or just get Greatest Hits?

koriwhat
07-27-2018, 06:24 PM
Love Martin Robbins... Even before Breaking Bad the old cowboy dudes are the best does he have a good recording to hunt for or just get Greatest Hits?

i listen to it all from mr robbins but my fav song of his is "mr shorty". it's such a powerful story.

Down Under
07-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Hip-Hop: I'll sidestep into trip-hop/DnB. Massive Attack Mezzanine. Portishead Dummy. Goldie Timeless.

Jazz: Coltrane A Love Supreme, any stereo LP version. I have a repressed 80's version of ALS and I find it marginally better than the CD version in my Coltrane Box Set. Jazz has the same rules as classical. It'll typically be mastered well, so any Jazz record can be "reference."

Funk/Soul: Another well mastered genre, typically. You've heard the album a million times I'm sure, but Thriller is just on another level of production. Some other ones that stood out to me were Electric Universe by Earth, Wind, and Fire and Ship Ahoy by the O'Jays.

Electronic: Underworld Second Toughest in the Infants. Vespertine by Bjork. Since you have a 5.1 system, seek out the multichannel copy of this. I have it, and it shines in 5.1.

Underrated genre to look out for a great stereo experience is 50s/60s Exotica. Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Esquivel.
That's a solid taste in music mate

koriwhat
07-27-2018, 08:27 PM
no ween fans around here? a band with differing sound per album. great shit if you've never heard of them before. they've been out forever and are great.

lefty
07-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Still a better artist and PG than Porker...

midnightpulp
07-29-2018, 12:53 AM
Appreciate it.
Either of you do county?

Yes, a country fan. I like the typical notables: Cash, Haggard, Williams, George Jones, Emmy Lou Harris, etc. Then you have the alt-county movement that started with Graham Parsons, the Flying Burrito Brothers that led to Wilco, Whiskeytown, and all that. More obscure stuff like the Louvin Brothers are great. Haunting song here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xB7usNSPo

Bluegrass. Bill Monroe, Dock Boggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYNoH99Guc

lebomb
08-01-2018, 06:40 AM
I dont care how good of a rapper you are,

If your the music sucks that goes along with said rap, I dont care to listen to it. TBQH, most hip-hop today is kinda whack, so I basically listen to the music anyhow. I guess thats why I like Drake, he may not be the strongest rapper, but he usually makes a good hit with good music to dance to. Very listenable IMHO. :toast

Killakobe81
08-01-2018, 08:08 AM
I dont care how good of a rapper you are,

If your the music sucks that goes along with said rap, I dont care to listen to it. TBQH, most hip-hop today is kinda whack, so I basically listen to the music anyhow. I guess thats why I like Drake, he may not be the strongest rapper, but he usually makes a good hit with good music to dance to. Very listenable IMHO. :toast

He does have catchy beats.
But I will leave you with this gem from Wu-tang Forever, Triumph:

The track renders helpless and suffers from multiple stab wounds
And leaks sounds that's heard
Ninety-three million miles away from came one
To represent the Nation, this is a gathering
Of the masses that come to pay respects to the Wu-Tang Clan
As we engage in battle, the crowd now screams in rage
The High Chief Jamel-Ah-Rief take the stage
Light is provided through sparks of energy
From the mind that travels in rhyme form
Giving sight to the blind