PDA

View Full Version : Spurs lineup next year and LMA + DDR combo

TimmyBuckets
07-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Don't know if there's a specific thread that addresses overall look of the team and how it will operate with the new additions (there probably is), but if so I apologize in advance.

Most used starting lineup imo: Murray, DDR, Gay/Bertans, LMA, Gasol/Poeltl
Realistic seeding: 5
Hopeful seeding: 3

Sputtering is an understatement, when it comes to last year's offense. Godawful. A lot of that had to do with a team that was expecting to play with Kawhi/LMA tandem, but instead got LMA (beast mode!!) and a buncha non-shooters.

Per game stats: 102.7 ppg (27th), 24.1 3PA (27th), 35% 3P% (26th), 61.2 2PA (5th), 49.9% 2P% (20th), 20.9 FTA (18th), 77.2 % FT% (13th)

So the Spurs took almost lowest amount of 3s, while also hitting at the lowest rate. They took almost the most amount of 2s, while hitting at bottom-of-the-barrel rate. I still think Spurs take a crap-ton of 2s this year, probably even more than last year, but hit at a significantly higher rate. I honestly don't think the 3 point attempts increase that much, but it will a little bit at least b/c of beli, forbes, and even DDR will attempt a few (more than non-existent Kawhi).

They were a little under middle of the pack with free throw attempts, and 13th in percentage. Free throw attempts and % will increase with DDR, who gets to the line a decent amount. Overall offense will be a lot better I think, but Spurs will still be a slow half court team. I think they go from 27th to 17-20th in ppg.

As for D, Spurs were 99.8 opponent's ppg, which was 1st! in the league. Spurs team defense on a string plus discipline gets you to top 10 in the league ( I think so at least), but smart defensive personnel like Danny and Kyle get you higher. Sure, another year under Gay and Murray's belt probably makes them better defensively (Murray already great last year, Gay was OK), but the loss of those 2 guys really hurts and I don't think White, Cunningham, DDR make you better or keep you the same, but I also don't think they completely kill your D either. I think Spurs drop to top 6-8.

Lowe mentioned on the pod w/ Wright that Spurs feast on young/bad teams during regular season, but cuz west is loaded they will have a hard time. I think that's very true.

Here's the depth chart, as listed by ESPN (they put Pau at PF, which is weird, but w/e): http://www.espn.com/nba/team/depth/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs

Spurs stats from last year, including team stats: https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2018.html

PtR's opinions on coming season: https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/7/25/17601340/in-the-bonus-what-the-san-antonio-spurs-could-look-like-next-season

kobyz
07-27-2018, 12:33 PM
stop sleeping on Bryn, he's ready for a breakout year, he has a lot similarity to JJ Redick who was also breakout at the same age bryn is now...
to get the most balance between outside shooting, mid range game and inside presence spurs have to start: Patty/Bryn/DDR/LMA/Yaakov

TimDunkem
07-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Bryn fucking sucks.

Play Boban
07-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Manure comeback confirmed? Tbh?

iGetbuckets
07-27-2018, 12:35 PM
3rd ..No lower then 4.

mark my words

everybody thinks we’re gonna be a 8th seed type team :lol

spurs10
07-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Agree we will see an improvement on 2's attempted and made. I also think we'll see an upward shift in 3's with a much better playmaker, DD, driving and setting up our shooters on the perimeter. We are going to need someone who can shoot from the outside which makes me think Beli will be in the mix to start. If we start LMA at the 4 then our 3 needs to be a shooter. Hopefully Gay has an even better comeback year.

dabom
07-27-2018, 12:51 PM
This guy wants to be timvp or is. Faggot. :lmao

dabom
07-27-2018, 12:52 PM
And your Op-ed sucks. :lmao

Phenomanul
07-27-2018, 01:36 PM
And your Op-ed sucks. :lmao

Is TimmyBuckets your "serious" alt?

TimmyBuckets
07-27-2018, 01:38 PM
I immediately realized after posting that dabom had a very similar thread that I actually posted in multiple times. That's actually why I added the poll b/c I couldn't delete the thread. Sorry for stepping on anyone's toes.

r0drig0lac
07-27-2018, 01:48 PM
2nd or 3th (gsw sas lak rox and jazz in the top 5 in any order imo)

RD2191
07-27-2018, 01:51 PM
3rd

Crazymaddopeyo
07-27-2018, 02:17 PM
I immediately realized after posting that dabom had a very similar thread that I actually posted in multiple times. That's actually why I added the poll b/c I couldn't delete the thread. Sorry for stepping on anyone's toes.

Post what you want man. These dudes think they are tough online and talk shit, just ignore them.

dabom
07-27-2018, 02:59 PM

How did you add a poll after making a thread? That's probably a MOD thing. :lol

dabom
07-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Poster made 5 months ago when most recent real posters have been on queue for 2-3 years... :lol

TDomination
07-27-2018, 03:01 PM
I appreciate this thread.

I put spurs in 3rd because I believe they will win between 55 - 58 wins which should be enough for 3rd seed.

There was so many stupid losses last year, even without Kawhi. Now that we have another all star player on the roster, I do expect us to have a better record in the regular season. I think EVERYONE will be playing with something to prove. I really hope LaMarcus will continue his strong play

dabom
07-27-2018, 03:03 PM
Spurs are top 3 minimum.

TDomination
07-27-2018, 03:04 PM
And as a 3rd seed we will play 6th seeded Lakers in the 1st round and this year will be 1st time DeRozan beats lebron in the playoffs

TimmyBuckets
07-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Manure comeback confirmed? Tbh?

God I hope so

offset formation
07-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Agree we will see an improvement on 2's attempted and made. I also think we'll see an upward shift in 3's with a much better playmaker, DD, driving and setting up our shooters on the perimeter. We are going to need someone who can shoot from the outside which makes me think Beli will be in the mix to start. If we start LMA at the 4 then our 3 needs to be a shooter. Hopefully Gay has an even better comeback year.

Corner 3s will return to prominence next year. And I think Murray will start to start knocking down his midrange shot at a higher clip, and start to become a threat from deep. And I think he'll be deadly from there within the next few years. Combined with his D, kid will be our next great. Along with White adding significant value next year, we have our future in place already. Looking forward to it.

Only question in my mind is how quickly the boys are able to gel, and get a sense of teamwork.

offset formation
07-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Spurs are top 3 minimum.

Agreed. Fuck the Lakers.

BackHome
07-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Fuck the Flakers and Fuck the K-Y fan boy/ass wipers you know who you bitches are.

cjw
07-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Fuck the Flakers and Fuck the K-Y fan boy/ass wipers you know who you bitches are.

Who are Lakers fans going to cheer for when Lebron plays the Warriors in round 2?

Coach X
07-27-2018, 05:17 PM
We have a very good RS team on Aldridge, DeRozan, Popovich. I don't think we have any championship chances but we should hit the 50W and the playoffs again.

However, DDR adaptation and young players development are good reasons to enjoy another year of Spurs. And we'll have fun playing vs Raptors.

Play Boban
07-27-2018, 05:39 PM
This guy wants to be timvp or is. Faggot. :lmao
:cry it still hurtz :cry

Roscoe P. Coltrane
07-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Never really cared much for DeRozen but i like the fact that he is mad that he was traded for Leonard. I can see him comming out next season with something to prove and having a career year. He won't have all the pressure put on him either like he did in Toronto being the #1 option. Spurs finish 2nd.

spurs10
07-27-2018, 09:38 PM
Corner 3s will return to prominence next year. And I think Murray will start to start knocking down his midrange shot at a higher clip, and start to become a threat from deep. And I think he'll be deadly from there within the next few years. Combined with his D, kid will be our next great. Along with White adding significant value next year, we have our future in place already. Looking forward to it.

Only question in my mind is how quickly the boys are able to gel, and get a sense of teamwork. I read that DD actually shot above 40% when just shooting from the corner.

offset formation
07-27-2018, 10:45 PM
I read that DD actually shot above 40% when just shooting from the corner.

Yes, precisely why I think that will return. He'll likely line up on the floor in the corner, with White or Belinelli opposite. They'll run some pick and roll with corner kicks and return to a drive and kick offense.

It should be interesting to watch.

What I see as a possibility is overlapping and then staggering LMA and DDR such that DDR basically has time to get his run as the main weapon with the 2nd team, yet still starts. Why? Because ultimately I think LMA, DDR, and White all need the touches to be as effective as they can be. Might help alleviate the issue somewhat to stagger them.

Dex
07-27-2018, 10:53 PM
Spurs were nearly 3rd last season with a rag-tag roster that had a $20M hole in it. Even if Demar plays at 90% of his previous level, I still don't see us finishing any worse than 4th if everyone stays healthy.

Spurs oman
07-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Let's go get that first seed
Go spurs

ginobilized
07-28-2018, 10:21 PM
Spurs are looking to get as many wins for Pop's legacy as possible. I see him coaching his ass off next season and Becky will add some fire to the staff that seemed to be missing last year.
3rd is a solid bet unless they get a real slow start. I don't see Houston getting better next year. Melo seems an odd fit there style wise. Ariza was such a glue kinda guy, they'll miss him and Mbah Moute.

Solid 3rd place.

dabom
07-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Let's go get that first seed
Go spurs

Sup faggot.

cutewizard
07-29-2018, 04:23 AM
Number One in the West!!!!

Anything is possible guys................!!

hehehe

cutewizard
07-29-2018, 04:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W6osJ_XyqI

John B
07-29-2018, 08:42 AM
I feel we have very good young talents who desire greatness, DJ, LWIV. Unlike Kawhi who never really wanted the limelight, not to become the face of the franchise as per his mom, hence comfortable only under the shadow of Timmy, Manu and Tony imo. Alpha mentality and that’s going to be the difference when it really matters and not fold and blame on everything else and man up. Adults not a child.

BillMc
07-29-2018, 09:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W6osJ_XyqI

Nice vid. :toast He forgot to mention White as one of the prospects but otherwise great.

cutewizard
07-30-2018, 06:57 AM
Nice vid. :toast He forgot to mention White as one of the prospects but otherwise great.

Thanks good Sir.....

YGWHI
07-30-2018, 08:34 AM
2nd/3rd seed without a doubt

Most teams got worse, Rockets, Pels, Lakers have LeBron but the rest of the roster is just a circus, Blazers are unbalanced...There is only one team better than the Spurs right now in the West.

TimmyBuckets
08-16-2018, 12:30 AM
With all the news of Spurs missing playoffs, figured good a time as any to BUMP.

3rd seed.

alpha_HaZE
08-16-2018, 02:13 AM
It's the wild west right now, outside of GSW. Hou has the potential to be really good again this year. Utah will also be scary with a second year Donovan Mitchel and really good defense. Thunder will also be really good. Memphis and Los Angeles will also be a lot better as well. I think Portland will fall off the playoffs and not sure about the Timberwolfes or the Pelicans. I will be tought for any team to get a playoff spot.

venitian navigator
08-16-2018, 02:29 AM
we and Houston had quite the same summer in the sense we lost our perimeter defense (Ariza + mam for them, Kyle+Green (+Kiwhi) for us, for, in theory, more offense (melo + re-signing green for them, DDr + Beli for us).
Nobody can deny they were the better team last year so I think both them and GS have to be over us, at least at the beginning of season rankings.
We are in the middle of a rumble including all the other western franchises 'cause in my opinion all of them, also the last year's worst ones (Phoenix and Sacramento) have upgraded consistently their roster...however of all of them I see only Utah and OKC deserving to be considered better than us in a beginning of the season ranking...