PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Paul contract watch

objective
07-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Doesn't have have a guarantee date coming up August 1st or am I imagining things?

gambit1990
07-27-2018, 08:48 PM
he does.

Immortal Spur
07-27-2018, 08:49 PM
Yep. Was thinking Manu would make his decision before hand so we could drop Brandon and better round out the roster

SpurPadre
07-27-2018, 08:56 PM
We'd be better off with me playing for the team instead of Paul, tbh.

Truth4sale$
07-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Spurs saw something in him, especially his defense. So for that reason...Keep him. The only problem is, without any open spots, I believe it will be hard to invite any quality bodies for training camp to find a diamond in a rough. Who would want to try out with the Spurs if they know their is a roster full of guaranteed contracts?

MaNu4Tres
07-27-2018, 09:52 PM
I dont understand how hes still on the roster tbh.

He is not a NBA player.

Fusternino
07-27-2018, 10:53 PM
Still better than Forbes, tbh.

jyra
07-28-2018, 06:09 AM
I think Basketball Insiders is the only site that lists guarantee dates: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/san-antonio-spurs-team-salary/

Maybe they plan to postpone the guarantee date. Could be waiting for Manu's decision or some trade to free up roster spots.

CGD
07-28-2018, 09:47 AM
I thought they would keep him to include in a Leonard trade so the acquiring team can shed a little salary by waiving him. Still possible in a smaller trade but it looks like he team is done with moves for the summer.

There is also the possibility they’re high on him especially now that we really need wing defenders. I mean it’s him our someone from the GLeague at this point.

Dverde
07-28-2018, 09:52 AM
Shouldn’t the title be glance than watch. No one really cares either way.

Chinook
07-28-2018, 09:54 AM
I thought they would keep him to include in a Leonard trade so the acquiring team can shed a little salary by waiving him. Still possible in a smaller trade but it looks like he team is done with moves for the summer.

There is also the possibility they’re high on him especially now that we really need wing defenders. I mean it’s him our someone from the GLeague at this point.

Brandon Paul would have counted for zero salary in trades. You can't use non-guarantees that way anymore unless that player was signed during the previous CBA, like Beverly.

BackHome
07-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Still better than Forbes, tbh.

That is like saying "My Shit smells better then your Shit"..lol

Namundy
07-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Not terrible for a 15th man, but also not much upside there.

Chinook
07-28-2018, 02:05 PM
As I said in another thread: If they get rid of Paul, they'll need to find a guy who does Paul's job better. That's not me advocating him, but right now, he's the designated three-and-D guy on the roster. They need more of those, not fewer. I'd keep him if at all possible financially, and let him compete with guys in camp for his spot. If he were just three inches taller, I'd be repping him as a starter at the two, even with his inconsistency and lack of production last season.

Gordy58
07-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Would rather have Blossomgame and Metu, was kinda hoping Lonnie made Paul expendable

koriwhat
07-28-2018, 03:12 PM
Would rather have Blossomgame and Metu, was kinda hoping Lonnie made Paul expendable

:tu

MaNu4Tres
07-28-2018, 05:48 PM
As I said in another thread: If they get rid of Paul, they'll need to find a guy who does Paul's job better. That's not me advocating him, but right now, he's the designated three-and-D guy on the roster. They need more of those, not fewer. I'd keep him if at all possible financially, and let him compete with guys in camp for his spot. If he were just three inches taller, I'd be repping him as a starter at the two, even with his inconsistency and lack of production last season.

Blossomgame >

SpursDynasty85
07-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Yes. Blossomgame makes sense. Metu still looks like he can spend a year in G League. I think Cory Jefferson is a solid stretch big that would compliment us.

TheGreatYacht
07-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Metu is better than Jefferson and I honestly don't think it's even close

jermaine
07-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Metu is better than Jefferson and I honestly don't think it's even close

Have they signed Metu already?? Imma be kinda bothered if he isn't signed an getting PT this season. Not saying he's better than Pau, but he's more active than Pau.

Chinook
07-28-2018, 08:28 PM
Blossomgame >

If he beats him out, sure.

mo7888
07-28-2018, 08:31 PM
I'd like to see Metu signed to a 2-way contract.

Gordy58
07-28-2018, 11:27 PM
Blossomgame can compete with Cunningham for a spot, hopefully Metu becomes one of the two way players instead of Costello

CGD
07-28-2018, 11:47 PM
Brandon Paul would have counted for zero salary in trades. You can't use non-guarantees that way anymore unless that player was signed during the previous CBA, like Beverly.

Got it; could they not have included him in a draft day deal with that purpose in mind since that was last year when he was on a guaranteed deal?

Chinook
07-28-2018, 11:53 PM
Got it; could they not have included him in a draft day deal with that purpose in mind since that was last year when he was on a guaranteed deal?

Nope. After the trade deadline, the player counts for the lessor of their current salary or the guaranteed portion of the next year's salary. For trade purposes, Paul essentially expired last February

cd021
07-29-2018, 11:31 AM
From what i've seen of Blossomgame, he looks like a small NBA 4 than an 3. He hasn't proven he can shoot the 3 yet either but was still productive . I'd be fine with him on a 2 way deal, allowing him the chance to play in both the G league and with the big team.

cd021
07-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Blossomgame can compete with Cunningham for a spot, hopefully Metu becomes one of the two way players instead of Costello

I could see Metu playing a year in the G-League before signing a cheap 3 year year deal with the big club after next season (similar to Josh Huestis with the Thunder)

FkLA
07-29-2018, 11:52 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

BackHome
07-29-2018, 12:23 PM
Two way contracts need to go to SF, PF, C in that order.......I wouldn't mind Metu, Blossom,

timvp
07-29-2018, 02:41 PM
Eh, Spurs don't really need another undersized shooting guard but BP3 is the only SG on the team that has a chance to be a plus defender. For that fact alone, I hope the Spurs bring him back. If he can become a >38% three-point shooter and take another couple steps on the defensive end, he has a chance to stick in the league.

Holden_Caulfield
07-29-2018, 03:41 PM
I'd rather bring blossom on the roster than keep bp3. I don't think bp3 will get any better than he is now. As much as I like his hustle we need some young depth at the 3

Dverde
07-29-2018, 03:48 PM
I think Manu staying and Blossomgame showing potential means the end of Paul. I doubt he is on the active roster now

Pavlov
07-29-2018, 03:59 PM
Well, the Spurs are certainly in no hurry to sign 2 way players. Kind of makes me think Blossomgame will take his tender and show up at camp to force a decision. I'd be fine if he were signed to a 2 way, but I definitely want Metu signed to one so he can play with the mothership a bit. There are probably scores of other players at the Blossomgame level, so I'm not demanding his signing.

CGD
07-29-2018, 10:24 PM
Nope. After the trade deadline, the player counts for the lessor of their current salary or the guaranteed portion of the next year's salary. For trade purposes, Paul essentially expired last February

Interesting. So by this analysis, to maximize Pau’s deal they have to trade him by the 2019 deadline, yes?

Chinook
07-29-2018, 10:34 PM
Interesting. So by this analysis, to maximize Pau’s deal they have to trade him by the 2019 deadline, yes?

Definitely to maximize. But it's also almost to match his salary in a trade after the deadline anyway. For the receiving team, his full salary counts, not just the guaranteed portion

pad300
07-29-2018, 11:04 PM

The problem with trading him is that would leave us with 2 actual big men, which isn't enough, even playing small balls. It's why I think we should bring in another big for the vet min/ Bi annual exceptions - IMO, Greg Monroe would be the target of choice...

LCM
07-29-2018, 11:11 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I was wondering:
1) if the spurs waited until after the deadline for Brandon Paul's contract, let him come to camp and preseason to compete and show case himself for other teams (NBA/Europe), Paul would still get the amount he signed for if the Spurs cut him then?
2) if that question is yes, would to Spurs be in the territory of paying luxury tax to sign Blossomgame, Metu or both to two way or outright contracts?
3) are two way contracts 1 or 2 year deals? Because I know the Spurs qualifying offer on Hilliard can only be rescinded with his permission, and I don't know what Costello's status is.

I think the Spurs will pay Paul the salary he would have gotten this year. Cut him before the season, help him catch on with another club. The salary is a thank you. Sign Blossomgame to a cheap 3yr deal (year three RFA), Metu will be in Austin all year with Walker, they will get called up from time to time. The Spurs are going to make sure Metu's wrist is 100% before he gets major minutes in Austin. Walker does what White, Murray, Bertans, and Blossomgame have done in Austin, get better with PT. Next year, Metu takes Cunningham's spot, Walker takes Manu's, Mulitinov takes Pau's.

cutewizard
07-29-2018, 11:55 PM
We'd be better off with me playing for the team instead of Paul, tbh.

Lol

Chinook
07-30-2018, 12:03 AM
Forgive my ignorance but I was wondering:
1) if the spurs waited until after the deadline for Brandon Paul's contract, let him come to camp and preseason to compete and show case himself for other teams (NBA/Europe), Paul would still get the amount he signed for if the Spurs cut him then?
2) if that question is yes, would to Spurs be in the territory of paying luxury tax to sign Blossomgame, Metu or both to two way or outright contracts?
3) are two way contracts 1 or 2 year deals? Because I know the Spurs qualifying offer on Hilliard can only be rescinded with his permission, and I don't know what Costello's status is.

I think the Spurs will pay Paul the salary he would have gotten this year. Cut him before the season, help him catch on with another club. The salary is a thank you. Sign Blossomgame to a cheap 3yr deal (year three RFA), Metu will be in Austin all year with Walker, they will get called up from time to time. The Spurs are going to make sure Metu's wrist is 100% before he gets major minutes in Austin. Walker does what White, Murray, Bertans, and Blossomgame have done in Austin, get better with PT. Next year, Metu takes Cunningham's spot, Walker takes Manu's, Mulitinov takes Pau's.

1) Yes, Paul's contract is fully guaranteed on Wednesday. After that, the Spurs cannot pay him less if they don't trade him or agree to a buyout. Could either or those happen? Sure. But they aren't in exclusively SA's control.
2) Nah, SA should be able to dodge the tax if they add another min, if not two. It's unclear how close to the tax they are, but even the closest estimates leave them room. Two-way deals don't count against the cap, so signing them doesn't matter.
3) They are one-year deals usually. I think they can be for two seasons, but no agent in their right mind would agree to that. I'm also pretty sure Hilliard's QO is only keeping him from signing a two-way deal with another club. I don't think SA has RoFR for regular contracts. I don't think it's appropriate to frame Hillard as being under team control at the moment.

It could make sense for SA to waive Paul and try to bring him in on a partial guarantee (assuming he clears waivers). As I said, right now, he has the best chance at filling a critical role for the team. I don't want someone different from Paul. I want someone better, and I think it's plum irresponsible to assert Blossomgame or any other d-league player if definitely better.

EDIT: The Spurs didn't tender Costello. He's just a free agent they don't seem to want to bring back. I'm also not sure Hilliard needs to permit SA rescinding the QO, both because I don't remember the deadline for teams having unilateral authority and because I don't know that two-way contracts follow those same deadlines.

cutewizard
07-30-2018, 04:20 AM
Can we get another vet for the minimum?

Stabula
07-31-2018, 01:13 AM
I don't get the love for Blossomgame tbh

exstatic
07-31-2018, 01:53 AM

Grass is greener, and all that. Most haven’t seen enough of him to hate him yet. That will come in time.

SouthTexasRancher
07-31-2018, 05:30 AM
There ain't a spot for Brandon. He'd never get any floor time.

Proxy
07-31-2018, 02:49 PM
waived him

Spurs Brazil
07-31-2018, 02:49 PM
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have waived guard Brandon Paul.

More: gospu.rs/2ADCJzJ

LaMarcus Bryant
07-31-2018, 02:53 PM
He's finished.

NASpurs
07-31-2018, 02:57 PM
I guess one season of fooling fans with Paul #3 jersey was more than enough.

Fusternino
07-31-2018, 03:00 PM
In all seriousness . . . hope he gets a contract with someone else. Just too many guards on this roster already. Good guy.

r0drig0lac
07-31-2018, 03:01 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/axu6dFuca4HKM/100.webp

BackHome
07-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Only players I want on a two way contract better be SF or PF and that’s it.

With letting Paul go I wonder if that opens the door for Hanga he definitely fits a need at SF.

SAGirl
08-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Waited until the last possible day... Wonder why... They must have known they didn't want him.back for a long time. There's nothing new here.

He's a good guy btw. Was really thankful for his opportunity...
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/brandon-paul-says-bye-to-spurs-leaves-heartfelt-message-to-fans

Gordy58
08-01-2018, 07:51 PM
its not love it’s just that he has a chance to make the roster and he played well in summer league, seems like an energy glue guy

exstatic
08-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Waited until the last possible day... Wonder why... They must have known they didn't want him.back for a long time. There's nothing new here.

He's a good guy btw. Was really thankful for his opportunity...
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/brandon-paul-says-bye-to-spurs-leaves-heartfelt-message-to-fans
What if a team had called with a trade, and the Spurs couldn’t do the deal because they lacked a contract to balance the trade because they cut BP early? That would be stupid. He still has plenty of time to catch on with another team.

Stabula
08-01-2018, 10:51 PM
its not love it’s just that he has a chance to make the roster and he played well in summer league, seems like an energy glue guy

From what I saw he looked underwhelming but granted I missed a lot of the games.

Gordy58
08-02-2018, 12:28 AM
From what I saw he looked underwhelming but granted I missed a lot of the games.
He was consistent, showed hustle and energy, was able to hit some threes, played within himself too. Wouldn’t mind having him on the roster at all, I think he can guard multiple positions.

r0drig0lac
08-02-2018, 07:56 AM
He was consistent, showed hustle and energy, was able to hit some threes, played within himself too. Wouldn’t mind having him on the roster at all, I think he can guard multiple positions.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/1zJYV1ML0vNNTLaR9c/200w.webp

BackHome
08-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Was never consistent this past season he would have one good game and then not show up for the next game. I agree Metu is a lock for a two way contract and I would think the Spurs would be looking at other SF for potential two way contract. May the best man win.

SpurOutofTownFan
08-02-2018, 08:32 PM
"and now your watch has ended"

hooperflash
08-25-2018, 10:40 AM
You'd expect this kind of letter from someone who spent years of developing on the Spurs , while also capturing a championship. Instead, we got it from our boy Chris Paul.

I am so grateful, humbled & blessed to have started my NBA career with such an organization. Thank you @spurs (https://www.instagram.com/spurs/) for allowing me to live out my lifelong dream, this opportunity has no doubt changed my life. Thank you to the fans, the staff, the city of San Antonio & especially my teammates for helping this undrafted kid from the north suburbs of Chicago feel at home. I will forever be a spurs fan & if the opportunity arises to work together in the future I hope to rep the silver & black again. Thank you so much ... I am excited for what's next to come #staytun3d (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/staytun3d/)#warfaces (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/warfaces/)

Bl6OWEeg7Ra

SpurPadre
08-25-2018, 02:24 PM
You'd expect this kind of letter from someone who spent years of developing on the Spurs , while also capturing a championship. Instead, we got it from our boy Chris Paul.

Bl6OWEeg7Ra

Wow...that's some classy shit, tbh. Was gonna pull out the "Well...bye" gif before that, too.

Truth4sale$
08-25-2018, 06:52 PM
IF Manu retires...Do the Spurs bring him back on a non-guaranteed contract?

MaNu4Tres
08-25-2018, 06:54 PM
IF Manu retires...Do the Spurs bring him back on a non-guaranteed contract?

No. He didnt impress. Good guy and I wish him well.

TheGreatYacht
08-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Bring Jordan Crawford in....

Spurtacular
08-25-2018, 07:30 PM
Bring Jordan Crawford in....

Jordon Crawford would be much better. Spurs would finally have a PG that can actually facilitate.

BackHome
08-26-2018, 12:10 AM
That dude sucks surprise you would want him

Ice009
08-27-2018, 05:12 AM
Terrific guy. Sucks that it didn't work out on the court for him. Great farewell message. I hope it works out for you, Brandon, and that you do eventually make it back to the NBA.

ace3g
09-06-2018, 08:44 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/1037788944686034944

Biggems
09-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Outstanding teammate and locker room guy, but just didn't have the talent to make a difference on the court, although he always gave max effort.

ceperez
09-07-2018, 06:32 AM
Outstanding teammate and locker room guy, but just didn't have the talent to make a difference on the court, although he always gave max effort.

A roster spot in the NBA is damn difficult to get and to keep. Paul in another era could have easily grab a bench spot. Today there's just too many 6'5" and under players to pick from.

ivanfromwestwood
09-07-2018, 07:26 AM
I'll miss all the charges he took🙁 never viewed him as a liability when he was on the court.

dbestpro
09-07-2018, 08:15 AM
A roster spot in the NBA is damn difficult to get and to keep. Paul in another era could have easily grab a bench spot. Today there's just too many 6'5" and under players to pick from.

Disagree. In another era, the team was limited to 12 slots instead of 15, and there were fewer teams. Much easier today than previous times.

exstatic
09-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Disagree. In another era, the team was limited to 12 slots instead of 15, and there were fewer teams. Much easier today than previous times.

Yeah, you could have up to two guys "injured", and bring in a couple on ten day contracts. The 11 and 12 spots frequently developed "plantar fasciitis", and just as quickly got over it when the team got a look see at whatever player(s) they brought in.

vy65
09-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Fairly sure this nig is on my flight to Chicago

Flying from Cleveland to Chi

ace3g
10-28-2018, 02:57 PM
random #gsg tweet from BP3

https://twitter.com/BP3/status/1056635098899058688

Pavlov
10-28-2018, 03:12 PM

https://twitter.com/BP3/status/1056635098899058688Still likes Pop.

Weird that he hasn't signed anywhere. He's good enough to play in some Euro leagues. Maybe waiting to sign a G-League contract when the team of his choice has first pick?

Chinook
10-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Still likes Pop.

Weird that he hasn't signed anywhere. He's good enough to play in some Euro leagues. Maybe waiting to sign a G-League contract when the team of his choice has first pick?

Yeah, the Spurs gave him plenty of time to land somewhere else. I still wish they had worked something out to get him into camp. A lot of people wanted to upgrade from Paul, but the team cut him and then failed to do that. I think Brandon would be getting minutes if he were still with the club

Dejounte
10-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Nah, Forbes would have taken all of Paul's minutes. There's no room for the dude.

Chinook
10-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Nah, Forbes would have taken all of Paul's minutes. There's no room for the dude.

Paul wasn't in line to start at PG.

DAF86
10-28-2018, 06:42 PM

https://twitter.com/BP3/status/1056635098899058688

Can somebody explain?

Pavlov
10-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Can somebody explain?1200 wins for Pop

DAF86
10-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Thanks.

ceperez
10-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Is he signed anywhere? Why don't Spurs call him up. Spurs need another guard, particularly one who can defend.

Immortal Spur
10-28-2018, 08:27 PM
He'd be the best defender on our team if brought back...

John B
10-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Spurs need a SF 3nD not another guard. White and LW4 would be back.

Immortal Spur
10-28-2018, 09:56 PM
Spurs need a SF 3nD not another guard. White and LW4 would be back.
nah it's really just white... We need to stop saying Lonnie... He's gonna be in Austin for the year and he's coming off a meniscus tear, second one in two years. No need to rush him back in any form of the word or give him more responsibilty than a player in his situation can handle. If white can stay healthy we still have room.

I think Pop considers Rudy, Dante, DeMar, Bertans, Beli all interchangeable at the SF spot as crazy as that might sound. In that sense we have plenty. As for guards we have two maybe three if White comes back. I personally would like to see Brandon back and Huestis come aboard. They are the 3 and D this team needs. But I think Dante solidified his spot... PATFO may be waiting to see how Josh is doing but it may be between BP3 and him. Paul already knows the system. That would help mightily. Heck, Pop may just decide to let Huestis heal for a year and just bring BP in and I'd have no problem with that.

Ice009
10-28-2018, 10:58 PM
If Lonnie is healthy enough to play when he's ready to get back, then IMO he NEEDS to play with the Spurs. The ceiling is a lot lower without him. He's got more defensive potential than anyone else on the team.

These aren't the days of contending for a championship and only playing vets. He needs to play so that he can learn the NBA game faster.

Pavlov
10-29-2018, 01:39 AM
Murray's injury might have moved up Lonnie's timeline. Guess we'll see.

Dejounte
10-31-2018, 06:07 PM
Paul wasn't in line to start at PG.

I'm saying as a SG. As if DJ never got injured.

spurraider21
10-31-2018, 06:14 PM
yeah... we dont need a guard that cant create or shoot

Seventyniner
10-31-2018, 08:36 PM
If Lonnie is healthy enough to play when he's ready to get back, then IMO he NEEDS to play with the Spurs. The ceiling is a lot lower without him. He's got more defensive potential than anyone else on the team.

These aren't the days of contending for a championship and only playing vets. He needs to play so that he can learn the NBA game faster.

I wonder if Lonnie will get the Number 2 treatment from his rookie year? Come off the bench as a defensive specialist and grow into a bigger role.

Murray's injury might have moved up Lonnie's timeline. Guess we'll see.

Good point. I sure hope so, the Spurs need all the talent they can get.

TheGreatYacht
10-31-2018, 08:44 PM
Would rather see him on the roster over Eubanks who will never see a meaningful minute