PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Rotation next season (2018/19) and other thoughts.

Maj_G
07-29-2018, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, I am looking at your rotation next year and especially trying to figure out what our ceiling would be. And to me that depends mostly on two things; One, 3 point shooting, and two; our defense.

But before we get into that, I collected some data from basket-reference regarding the total amount of minutes our players played last year and then made a (probably wrong) guess for the number of minutes certain players will play next season.

There were 11 players that played over 1000 minutes last season; Tony, Davis, Gay, Manu, Bryn, DJ, Danny, Pau, Kyle, Patty, and LA (in reverse order). Then it was Brandon Paul with ~550 minutes.

From those; Tony, Danny, and Kyle are gone and I think/hope Manu will play no more 500 minutes next year. So, unless Pop decides to play 12 players, we have four spots open in our rotation. Now, 3 of those 4 spots will be occupied by DDR, Marco, and Jacob.

I will go over each player individually and give you my thoughts on how many minutes I would expect him to play and where does that leave us with the development of our young guys.

LaMarcus Aldridge; Last year he played 2509 minutes and that was the highest he is ever played as a Spur. With the addition on DeMar, I expect him to go back to his usual 2300 or even 2200 minutes. Hopefully, he will be in shape during training camp and pick up where he left last season. I don't think his numbers will be the same, but he should be a more efficient scorer.
DeMar DeRosan; Last year he played over 2700 minutes, and that was the lowest in the past five years, I believe. No wonder he gassed during playoffs. Pop will make sure he is healthy and ready to go for the playoffs. I expect him to be around 2300 minutes and put more energy on D. Interestingly enough his Defensive Win Share last season was 2.8, compared to Danny's 2.9. Not bad if you ask me. I think people will be surprised by his defense.
Dejounte Murray; Last year he was 6th in minutes played, and now tied for 3rd, but I expect him to play pretty much the same amount of minutes; from 1743 to 1800. His defense will be better but he will get more time on the floor only if he starts making 3 point shots or somehow finds a way to be effective without the ball in his hands.
Rudy Gay; I expect him (and hope) that he plays 1800 minutes. Last year he only played 1231, and that hurt the team. KD said Rudy was one the hardest players to play against. If fully healed and focused, he will be a force for us on both sides of the floor.
Patty Mills; Paty will hopefully see a minute cut from 2107 to probably about 1500. Depending on how Derrick White performs, I guess. Less Patty means better defense and also with DDR on the team, he will be able to switch back to his natural position where he can a very effective scorer off the bench.
Marco Belineli; I could be wrong here but my projection is also 1500 minutes. When he last played for us, he was a guy that could come off the bench and score for us and provide some energy. I am sure he can still do that and maybe more.
Jakob Poeltl; I hope he takes all of Pau's minuted eventually but next season I have him at 1400. Hopefully, he learns from Pau and develops a reliable jump shot.
Davis Bertans; Davis will see more minutes this year from 1086 that he played last season, I expect him to be around 1400 just like Jacob.
Pau Gasol; Just like Patty I hope he plays less, much less. From 1812 to no more than 1300. Most fans don't know but he played with a shoulder injury the last third of the year. In restricted minutes he can be very effective. Especially against second-tier guys. Also, he can be a great mentor for Jakob.

That's nine players, which means that Lonnie, Derrick, Bryn, and Dante will compete for about 3000 minutes.

To me, it looks like that our Defense will be fine. Manu, Tony, Pau, and Patty were our worst defenders last season and two of them are gone and the other two will play significantly fewer minutes. And our offense looks better as well since we have better shooters playing more minutes.

So to summarize, I believe our ceiling is to be contenders. Not the favorites, but one of the top 5 teams in the league.

:flag:

Play Boban
07-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Kawhitter 0 minutes.

dbestpro
07-29-2018, 06:18 PM
Lonnie will spend the year in Austin. Bryn will get more minutes as a Pop favorite, but Derrick may force his way into minutes. Bertans and Murray, have the biggest opportunity to take their games to the next level. You are right about Patty getting his minutes cut which may make him more effective when he is on the court. Pop will be very careful with LMA and DeRozan's minutes to keep them fresh.

apalisoc_9
07-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Kawhitter 0 minutes.

Imo lamest name ever

Play Boban
07-29-2018, 06:42 PM
Imo lamest name ever
You should be on a Raptors forum tbh.

marinoman
07-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Imo lamest name ever
Nah that’s PinoyMarauder

cutewizard
07-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Nice post, thank you

cutewizard
07-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Derrick White is someeone to watch also.......

TD 21
07-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Even though Poeltl is already an elite backup, he's probably more match-up dependant than rotation lock. It would be difficult enough to squeeze a 3rd C into the rotation, let alone one who can't shoot and where the projected top 4, in terms of minutes, provide as little 3-point shooting as DeRozan, Aldridge, Murray and Gay do.

Starters: Aldridge (32-34), Gay (26-28), Gasol (23-25), DeRozan (33-35), Murray (26-28)

Bench: Ginobili (18-20), Mills (20-22), Belinelli (20-22), Bertans (18-20), Cunningham/Poeltl (14-16)

- When any of the top 9 is injured/resting, White plays 18-20.

- Think the starters only play the first 6 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters together. Gay and Gasol could move in and out depending on fit and match-ups.

No chance they contend. Their range is 3-10 and ceiling is the 2nd round.

Fusternino
07-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Even though Poeltl is already an elite backup, he's probably more match-up dependant than rotation lock. It would be difficult enough to squeeze a 3rd C into the rotation, let alone one who can't shoot and where the projected top 4, in terms of minutes, provide as little 3-point shooting as DeRozan, Aldridge, Murray and Gay do.

Starters: Aldridge (32-34), Gay (26-28), Gasol (23-25), DeRozan (33-35), Murray (26-28)

Bench: Ginobili (18-20), Mills (20-22), Belinelli (20-22), Bertans (18-20), Cunningham/Poeltl (14-16)

- Think the starters only play the first 6 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters together. Gay and Gasol could move in and out depending on fit and match-ups.

Becoming a big fan of yours. With you on Dante getting a bigger role than expected and Gasol continuing to start. Still not sure who our 15th player will be, though. Hopefully, a combo forward or another big.

spurs10
07-29-2018, 07:36 PM
Nice write-up! :toast

You said our worst defenders were 'Manu, Tony, Pau, and Patty and two of them are gone.' TP is gone, but we don't know about Manu and I doubt he was our worst defender. I was just reading that Pau with LMA was a lot better than he was given credit for.

I think the starters you mentioned is probably right, but I think we are going to need 3 pt shooters out there with LMA and DD.

Down Under
07-29-2018, 08:12 PM
Is Pau in the rotation? Surely Poeltl would be the guy if you're going to play 2 bigs & also the backup 5 when Gay/Bertans are the 4. I think Pau would accept a $16 mil mentoring role.

apalisoc_9
07-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Poetl is a liability.

Spurs not being able to get siakm or OG is just flat out embarrasing

coachmac87
07-29-2018, 08:16 PM
Poetl is a liability.

As embarrassing as you telling your family you failed pharm school?

LCM
07-29-2018, 08:16 PM
One question I have is will the Spurs go back to a faster pace of play? I know we have LMA, and his presence in the low block is needed. But, in 2012-14, the Spurs were one of the faster teams in terms of pace in the league. With Murray, White, Mills, Gay, DeRozan, Bertans, Cunningham, Poetlt, Forbes ... the Spurs can run! Get easy baskets off the rebound or turnover without letting the opposition set up their defense.

tbdog
07-29-2018, 09:11 PM
One question I have is will the Spurs go back to a faster pace of play? I know we have LMA, and his presence in the low block is needed. But, in 2012-14, the Spurs were one of the faster teams in terms of pace in the league. With Murray, White, Mills, Gay, DeRozan, Bertans, Cunningham, Poetlt, Forbes ... the Spurs can run! Get easy baskets off the rebound or turnover without letting the opposition set up their defense.

With our defense potentially being average, I think we will have to avoid half court defense as much as we can.

paperboy77
07-29-2018, 09:41 PM
It's going to be where Pop can guide the team really. It's going to be up to him and his staff to identify the best way to go. When these guys are on they're on! When they over think shit its over! Hopefully they're on. At the end of the day it'll be about: 1 Defense, 2 Pace and 3 Timely Shooting.

kaji157
07-29-2018, 09:51 PM
Thanks good post I also don't think our defense will suffer that much.

cutewizard
07-29-2018, 10:53 PM

I disagree.

The Spurs shall contend. Totally contend.

palangi
07-29-2018, 11:05 PM
Poetl is a liability.

You got a receipt on that?

Chinook
07-30-2018, 12:19 AM

I think this is a good time to ask if you're describing or prescribing. I don't think it makes sense to project Gay as a starter, especially with Gasol. The roster just doesn't seem set up for that, with the lack of bigs, Pop's desire to make Gay the sixth man and the coach's general desire to run Mills/Murray. If he didn't think DeRozan could be an SF, I don't think he would have gone with Forbes and Walker. If you're prescribing, I get it, even though I disagree. Pop should have targeted a forward or two instead of Beli. I see little upside in running Mills instead of an SF who can shoot. However, I think that moment's gone, and SA needs to do what's best for them now, and that's not starting Gay with DeRozan, hurting the offense of both units. White/Ginobili/Beli/Gay/Poeltl has the potential to be the best bench the team has had in years. It's even better if they can slip Bertans in when Manu takes nights off. White Poeltl could be a great PnR team for years, and getting him shooters would be amazing. Then obviously Gay can be the fulcrum, especially when the team needs a bucket. He can also cut and finish, so it's not like having him off the ball would be a wasted possession.

cutewizard
07-30-2018, 12:57 AM
I think this is a good time to ask if you're describing or prescribing. I don't think it makes sense to project Gay as a starter, especially with Gasol. The roster just doesn't seem set up for that, with the lack of bigs, Pop's desire to make Gay the sixth man and the coach's general desire to run Mills/Murray. If he didn't think DeRozan could be an SF, I don't think he would have gone with Forbes and Walker. If you're prescribing, I get it, even though I disagree. Pop should have targeted a forward or two instead of Beli. I see little upside in running Mills instead of an SF who can shoot. However, I think that moment's gone, and SA needs to do what's best for them now, and that's not starting Gay with DeRozan, hurting the offense of both units. White/Ginobili/Beli/Gay/Poeltl has the potential to be the best bench the team has had in years. It's even better if they can slip Bertans in when Manu takes nights off. White Poeltl could be a great PnR team for years, and getting him shooters would be amazing. Then obviously Gay can be the fulcrum, especially when the team needs a bucket. He can also cut and finish, so it's not like having him off the ball would be a wasted possession.

--------------------------------------

Cool, the goods, agree

cutewizard
07-30-2018, 04:21 AM
Hmmmm

buttsR4rebounding
07-30-2018, 05:00 AM
Kawhitter 0 minutes.
Down slightly from last year.

cutewizard
07-30-2018, 06:34 AM
Down slightly from last year.

May it stay down.....may the Quitter never win the NBA title......

MaNu4Tres
07-30-2018, 07:07 AM
The only staples in the starting lineup are LaMarcus, DeRozan, and Murray. The rest will change a lot until Pop finds a rotation thats performing well.

Im personally hoping for:

LMA - Bertans -- DeRozan - White - Murray

Pau or Poeltl - Gay - Cunningham - Manu or Belinelli - Mills

Forbes - Lonnie - Blossomgame

TrainOfThought5
07-30-2018, 07:50 AM
This year is not looking so hot. Hopefully some young guys have breakout years.

picnroll
07-30-2018, 08:00 AM
Kawhitter 0 minutes.

So a few less than last year.

YGWHI
07-30-2018, 08:20 AM
DeMar DeRosan; Last year he played over 2700 minutes, and that was the lowest in the past five years, I believe. No wonder he gassed during playoffs. Pop will make sure he is healthy and ready to go for the playoffs. I expect him to be around 2300 minutes and put more energy on D. Interestingly enough his Defensive Win Share last season was 2.8, compared to Danny's 2.9. Not bad if you ask me. I think people will be surprised by his defense.
Not sure if we'll be surprised by his defense but Spurs' system will help him a lot on that end. It's funny when people said "who player will guard wings without KL and DG?" Kawhi didn't play last season, Danny played poorly...The Spurs were still #2-3 defense in the whole league.

Dejounte Murray; Last year he was 6th in minutes played, and now tied for 3rd, but I expect him to play pretty much the same amount of minutes; from 1743 to 1800. His defense will be better but he will get more time on the floor only if he starts making 3 point shots or somehow finds a way to be effective without the ball in his hands.

Didn't realize he was only 6th in minutes...I expected more. I doubt his playing time will depend on his 3's, if he improves it would be great but he'll have plenty of minutes this season since Parker isn't on the team this season.

I'd love to see White having 20mpg this season and Manu getting less and less minutes, just in a mentor role.

TD 21
07-30-2018, 05:24 PM

Describing.

The roster has 6 bigs (Aldridge, Gasol, Poeltl, Gay, Bertans, Cunningham).

Pop's desire to make Gay the 6th man was in the context of last season's roster. This one has no size or defense on the wing, 2 attributes he's long prioritized in the starting lineup.

There was no rumors of Leonard to the Raptors until after the Walker/Forbes decisions were made and even if they were before, they were independent. Walker was a value pick and they're irrationally high on Forbes. DeRozan will probably play more SF than SG, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to start at it to do so (look no further than Aldridge).

If Gay starts, the hope would be that he can masquerade as a 3 and D wing and in general, individual shot creation, defense and rebounding wins out over the lack of shooting and mobility. It's not all that different from how they've operated for years, only this iteration would have even less shooting than previous ones.

Mills in place of Gay isn't enough to solve the spacing issues of the starters, but Gay being the fulcrum of the bench could gum up what should be a free flowing style, that basically out IQ's teams (one of Gasol/Poeltl, Bertans, Belinelli, Ginobili, Mills and occasionally White, should carve up opposing benches).

E20
07-30-2018, 05:33 PM
good post presentaiton OP. 4 out of 5 stars.

you got a good greeting in the beginning makes everyone feel welcome. good grammar punctuation and spelling, no long or bulk paragraphs, sentences seperated by lines you use bullet points and you have a summarizing sentence at the end.

Chinook
07-31-2018, 02:13 AM
Describing.

Pop's desire to make Gay the 6th man was in the context of last season's roster. This one has no size or defense on the wing, 2 attributes he's long prioritized in the starting lineup.

There was no rumors of Leonard to the Raptors until after the Walker/Forbes decisions were made and even if they were before, they were independent. Walker was a value pick and they're irrationally high on Forbes. DeRozan will probably play more SF than SG, but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to start at it to do so (look no further than Aldridge).

If Gay starts, the hope would be that he can masquerade as a 3 and D wing and in general, individual shot creation, defense and rebounding wins out over the lack of shooting and mobility. It's not all that different from how they've operated for years, only this iteration would have even less shooting than previous ones.

Mills in place of Gay isn't enough to solve the spacing issues of the starters, but Gay being the fulcrum of the bench could gum up what should be a free flowing style, that basically out IQ's teams (one of Gasol/Poeltl, Bertans, Belinelli, Ginobili, Mills and occasionally White, should carve up opposing benches).

I don't think you can say Gay is a big when you have him as a small-forward. I agree that he's a PF more than anything, and I think Pop agrees with us. I also don't think Pop prioritizes wings with size, or else he would have gone for such players in the off-season. Obviously, the same goes for D.

I don't think Pop saw anything last year that would encourage him to not keep rolling with Mills and Murray as the back court. They are a good fit together, and the plan for that pairing probably came into being as soon as CP3 went to Houston last year. Despite what you've suggested, Pop has totally played defensive liabilities way too many minutes over the years. Mills being a better shooter is only part of his appeal over Gay. He's also significantly more dynamic on the perimeter. Sure, he's not a creator inside the arc, but outside it, he's a guy you can run plays for and who can pop off threes if he gets a screen. You need that guy a lot more in the SL, especially because Marco is on the bench already. I totally expect this to be an offense with DeRozan being the primary creator with Murray as the secondary and LMA cutting off like 35 percent of the possessions for his touches. They definitely don't need Gay also doing that, but on the bench where the primary creators are an old Manu and a green White, having a go-to option works much better.

I think we both expect to see a fluid rotation for quite some time and for the results to hopefully bear out a solution that works. In that regard, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gay starting at the three, especially against GS and LAL. Maybe he even starts the season like that if it's against Minny, OKC or Toronto. But unless the team acquires another legit SF, I don't think the team will settle on Gay at the three, unless Murray is no longer the starting PG.

cutewizard
07-31-2018, 07:12 AM
Describing.

In other words, starting five just holds the court, holds the fort

And then our bench beats the hell out of opposing benches.....

Hmmmm, Mission Possible.........

ceperez
07-31-2018, 03:21 PM
Regular season lineup:

Starters - Mills, Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge, Poetl
Subs - White, Belinelli, Bertans, Gay, Gasol

Backups - Walker, Forbes, Cunningham

It's a decent team. I suspect Manu is needed to get the Subs organized!!

TD 21
07-31-2018, 03:31 PM
I don't think you can say Gay is a big when you have him as a small-forward. I agree that he's a PF more than anything, and I think Pop agrees with us. I also don't think Pop prioritizes wings with size, or else he would have gone for such players in the off-season. Obviously, the same goes for D.

I don't think Pop saw anything last year that would encourage him to not keep rolling with Mills and Murray as the back court. They are a good fit together, and the plan for that pairing probably came into being as soon as CP3 went to Houston last year. Despite what you've suggested, Pop has totally played defensive liabilities way too many minutes over the years. Mills being a better shooter is only part of his appeal over Gay. He's also significantly more dynamic on the perimeter. Sure, he's not a creator inside the arc, but outside it, he's a guy you can run plays for and who can pop off threes if he gets a screen. You need that guy a lot more in the SL, especially because Marco is on the bench already. I totally expect this to be an offense with DeRozan being the primary creator with Murray as the secondary and LMA cutting off like 35 percent of the possessions for his touches. They definitely don't need Gay also doing that, but on the bench where the primary creators are an old Manu and a green White, having a go-to option works much better.

I think we both expect to see a fluid rotation for quite some time and for the results to hopefully bear out a solution that works. In that regard, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gay starting at the three, especially against GS and LAL. Maybe he even starts the season like that if it's against Minny, OKC or Toronto. But unless the team acquires another legit SF, I don't think the team will settle on Gay at the three, unless Murray is no longer the starting PG.

Aldridge is now a C, yet he'll start at PF. Duncan and Gasol were C's who started at PF for a significant portion of their respective careers. It happens. It's difficult to build a well balanced roster, especially nowadays, with the overload of C's and lack of wings. Also, this roster was not planned. They didn't build it with the mindset of DeRozan being one of the centerpieces.

I said, in the starting lineup.

Yeah, but off the bench. Sure, Bonner, Mills, etc. have had stretches where they started, but never for long. Spurs almost always start big and defensive. Mills starting some last season was more so about getting another ball handler in the lineup than a shooter (which is why he often started in place of Green). They now have that in DeRozan.

Whether starting or not, Gay is going to play some with Aldridge and DeRozan and when he does, he's going to have to function as a spot up 3-point shooter on offense. If he plays backup PF though, then that leaves 1 rotation spot for a guy set to make $7.5M, an elite backup (Poeltl) and a long time rotation player (Cunningham).

Definitely. I'm not going to pretend to be overly confident in this. Mere days ago, I was thinking what you were.

TimmyBuckets
07-31-2018, 03:38 PM
Regular season lineup:

Starters - Mills, Murray, DeRozan, Aldridge, Poetl
Subs - White, Belinelli, Bertans, Gay, Gasol

Backups - Walker, Forbes, Cunningham

It's a decent team. I suspect Manu is needed to get the Subs organized!!

How do you think Derozan will perform if he starts at the 3? I think he's a bit undersized and weak defensively, though I'm starting to get why people aren't putting Gay in the starting lineup.

John B
07-31-2018, 04:16 PM
Kamute and DeRozan are both 6’7” just Kamute has freakish hands. I think DeRozan will be fine depending 3.

cutewizard
08-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Kamute and DeRozan are both 6’7” just Kamute has freakish hands. I think DeRozan will be fine depending 3.

:bobo

keithington1
08-01-2018, 11:54 PM
I think Livio deserves a camp invite. He looked good in Austin and he fits the roster perfectly. I feel like the Spurs never gave him a real chance to succeed. Of course he had injuries but so did Bertans.

keithington1
08-02-2018, 12:50 AM
I think Livio deserves a camp invite. He looked good in Austin and he fits the roster perfectly. I feel like the Spurs never gave him a real chance to succeed. Of course he had injuries but so did Bertans.Well nevermind that thought http://spursonsixth.com/2018/07/06/jean-charles-signs-new-deal-with-asvel/

alpha_HaZE
08-02-2018, 02:25 AM
Not sure if we'll be surprised by his defense but Spurs' system will help him a lot on that end. It's funny when people said "who player will guard wings without KL and DG?" Kawhi didn't play last season, Danny played poorly...The Spurs were still #2-3 defense in the whole league.

I'd love to see White having 20mpg this season and Manu getting less and less minutes, just in a mentor role.

That's a good point! I agree about White getting minutes and Manu on the bench. And I am with you regarding the defense, but it wasn't just Danny Green it was Kyle Anderson as well. Kyle was a big reason we were so good on Defense. Let's hope that Rudy and Davis play decent defense. In which case we still should be top10 or top5 defensively.

BSfromTX
08-02-2018, 11:26 AM
The only staples in the starting lineup are LaMarcus, DeRozan, and Murray. The rest will change a lot until Pop finds a rotation thats performing well.

Im personally hoping for:

LMA - Bertans -- DeRozan - White - Murray

Pau or Poeltl - Gay - Cunningham - Manu or Belinelli - Mills

Forbes - Lonnie - Blossomgame

I can see this, just not sure about Bertans being that high ... however he spreads the floor with that group which would really be needed.

BackHome
08-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Well nevermind that thought http://spursonsixth.com/2018/07/06/jean-charles-signs-new-deal-with-asvel/

Wonder what his buy out is??

superbigtime
08-02-2018, 12:57 PM
I have very low expectations of White and Forbes.

TimDunkem
08-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Morons here still talking about Livio? That bum literally does nothing well. Accept that it was a wasted pick people. Jesus...It's like James Gist! 2.0.

SpursDynasty85
08-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Just thought about this line up.

Murray, DeRozan, Bertans, Gay, Aldridge. Would only work if Dejounte's shot makes a significant leap to (serviceable). This would be a deadly line up. Question is if Pop would ever try it.

TimmyBuckets
08-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Just thought about this line up.

Murray, DeRozan, Bertans, Gay, Aldridge. Would only work if Dejounte's shot makes a significant leap to (serviceable). This would be a deadly line up. Question is if Pop would ever try it.

Bertans too slow for the 3 and not good enough defensively to guard the wings.

sasaint
08-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Yep. So, Pop will use it some...

SpursDynasty85
08-06-2018, 11:16 AM

Agree that's why I think the bench is important. Bertans and Gay can cover ground well but it would tire them out just like the GSW series. There will be lots of rotations but for a stretch and playing 100% this line up would be a menace on defense and could do some running and damage on the offensive end.

Truth4sale$
08-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Morons here still talking about Livio? That bum literally does nothing well. Accept that it was a wasted pick people. Jesus...It's like James Gist! 2.0.

I know Livio did not live up to expectations, but he was injured and some guys take a long time to recover or never quite recover(Derrick Rose). That being said, if you were to look back at the 2013 draft, it has to be one of the worst in recent history. There are absolutely nobody who has had an impact after him. He was the best available. Just unfortunate his best was not good enough for SPURS/ NBA .He might need more time in Europe to develop.