PDA

View Full Version : This team is still lacking consistent shooters

Amuseddaysleeper
07-30-2018, 10:36 AM
I like the Marco signing, but the Spurs were one of the worst outside shooting teams in the league last year and this year I don't see the needle moving all that much.

Hopefully we can bring another solid shooter or two.

KDKSpurs24
07-30-2018, 10:45 AM
I won’t say the team is missing consistent shooters until they actually start being inconsistent. This is a new year coming up. Spurs have capable shooters. Players might have already stepped up and worked on that. You want to talk about a team without capable shooters to begin with? Look at the Lakers.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-30-2018, 11:02 AM
can OP just create one thread to dump all his wimpy whiny takes in please?

cutewizard
07-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Mills, Bertans, Derozan, White, Gasol

LittleCriminal
07-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Spurs got rid of the reasons why they sucked at shooting.. Aka shit pile kyle

BillMc
07-30-2018, 11:15 AM
I like the Marco signing, but the Spurs were one of the worst outside shooting teams in the league last year and this year I don't see the needle moving all that much.

Your sig, cool as it is (and its my favorite) is down to Marco and Manu (assuming manu returns). Danny, Tony, Boris, Tim and Dcup Kawhi all gone. :lol

spursistan
07-30-2018, 12:32 PM
can OP just create one thread to dump all his wimpy whiny takes in please?
Sup benefactor ? :lol..

Mr. Body
07-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Yes, we know.

YoungbuckMurray
07-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Derozan should help as he can break down defenses and make them collapse opening up open 3’s compared to contested ones I think that will help a lot

tholdren
07-30-2018, 12:56 PM

Cause the pg is an idiot who cant create, and mah touches is a goddamn black hole. Not the shooters.

monkeypunk
07-30-2018, 01:01 PM
Derozan should help as he can break down defenses and make them collapse opening up open 3’s compared to contested ones I think that will help a lot

This.

We didn't have any penetraters last season and no one willing to swing the ball around to the open shooters.

Mills obviously but Bertrans specifically should benefit this season.

phxspurfan
07-30-2018, 01:23 PM
We should be ok this eyar bc we have Forbes, Mills to shoot and Lonnie Walker/Murray/White/DeRozan to penetrate and make plays. Our offense will be actually pretty good once we gel, but the defense is going to need work bc everyones small or not good at defense.

SpursDynasty85
07-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Just because our best players are not great 3 pt shooters, does not mean we lack shooting. Aldridge, DeRozan, and Gay are excellent mid range shooters. Dejounte is really the only other player that will struggle on the wings and perimeter. Mills, Bertans, Belinelli, White will do well. Last year we needed more playmakers. DeRozan, Dejounte, White, and a healthy Gay will provide that.

Spurs4#5
07-30-2018, 01:43 PM
I think we had good shooters last year we just didn’t have enough people who could create or break down defenses. With Murray being a year older and him putting in more work on his shot plus DD it will help bring up the averages of guys like Mills Bertans and others.

TimDunkem
07-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Forbes :lmao

Stabula
07-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Forbes :lmao

Forbes will be legit this year

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Forbes will be legit this year

forbes made some sort of deal at midnight at the crossroads?

apalisoc_9
07-30-2018, 02:10 PM
The spurs just flat out suck.

Emperor
07-30-2018, 02:14 PM
forbes made some sort of deal at midnight at the crossroads?

He made that deal at Crossroads Mall :lol

SpursDynasty85
07-30-2018, 02:15 PM

Please leave.

daslicer
07-30-2018, 02:23 PM
Spurs have great midrange shooters. It will be interesting to see how well this team does on the offensive end.

ducks
07-30-2018, 02:38 PM

no they got rid of the cheerleaders that suck dick

KDKSpurs24
07-30-2018, 03:18 PM
Just because our best players are not great 3 pt shooters, does not mean we lack shooting. Aldridge, DeRozan, and Gay are excellent mid range shooters. Dejounte is really the only other player that will struggle on the wings and perimeter. Mills, Bertans, Belinelli, White will do well. Last year we needed more playmakers. DeRozan, Dejounte, White, and a healthy Gay will provide that.
Yeah exactly. Doesn’t mean they can’t shoot the ball. People are acting like the team is full of Tony Allen’s and Kidd-Gilchrest’s. Yeah I understand the spacing factor but they are still threats. One thing I don’t agree with you saying tho is that Murray will “struggle” on the perimeter. He’s been putting in hella work to correct that so I won’t go as far as saying that until I actually see him struggling.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Looking at the roster, I actually see them going to some sort of offshoot of our ball movement offense from a few years ago. Not beautiful game but something like it with lots of slashing and movement.

We do to have enouugh good shooters to put around LA and rain threes. It's time for Pop to innovate with this roster and its shooting limitations, what better way to do it?

Stabula
07-30-2018, 04:03 PM

Having a player fan schtick of the most maligned player in the NBA :lol

SpursDynasty85
07-30-2018, 04:23 PM
Yeah exactly. Doesn’t mean they can’t shoot the ball. People are acting like the team is full of Tony Allen’s and Kidd-Gilchrest’s. Yeah I understand the spacing factor but they are still threats. One thing I don’t agree with you saying tho is that Murray will “struggle” on the perimeter. He’s been putting in hella work to correct that so I won’t go as far as saying that until I actually see him struggling.

I do like the work he is putting in but you know it's not going to be a one season turnaround. Will take at least 2 or 3 years like Parkers mid range.

ducks
07-30-2018, 04:42 PM
how many teams have 2 top 10 mvp canidates
spurs have 2!

TD 21
07-30-2018, 05:36 PM
The problem isn't 3-point shooters in general (Mills, Belinelli, Bertans, Forbes, probably White), it's the lack of 3-point shooting among what's likely to be their 4 minute leaders (DeRozan, Aldridge, Murray, Gay).

Dex
07-30-2018, 06:10 PM
The problem isn't 3-point shooters in general (Mills, Belinelli, Bertans, Forbes, probably White), it's the lack of 3-point shooting among what's likely to be their 4 minute leaders (DeRozan, Aldridge, Murray, Gay).

Yeah, I'm really interested to see how the lineups shake out.

If you go strictly by talent, the obvious choice is Murray/Demar/Gay/Aldridge/Poetl. But goddamn, there is absolutely no reliable 3-point shooting in that lineup, and the defense ain't much to write home about either.

They could boost the shooting by doing something like Murray/Demar/Beli or White/Aldridge/Gasol...but that makes the defense look even worse.

I want Poetl to start...but I also want to see how works with Manu in the P&R.

Gay seems like a solid starting candidate but would be sharing shots with DMD and LMA, so he'd probably have more freedom in the 2nd unit.

White deserves good minutes, and perhaps a shot at cracking the starting lineup.

Lot of different ways things could break down over the season.

Leetonidas
07-30-2018, 06:16 PM
This really needed a new thread

Down Under
07-30-2018, 06:20 PM
3 of those guys generally shoot over 40% from the corner's. Wonder if Pop will try and find a way to utilise that this season.

pad300
07-30-2018, 06:30 PM
how many teams have 2 top 10 mvp canidates
spurs have 2!
In no particular order:

The Warriors : Durant(1), Curry(2)
The Rockets: Harden (3), CP3 (4)

Westbrook (5), Kawhi (6), Lebron (7), Davis (8), Giannis (9), Kyrie (10), Embiid (11)

also,

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-top-10-potential-2019-NBA-MVP-candidates--120075384/#120075384_7

I don't see anyone who plays for the Spurs...

Dex
07-30-2018, 06:34 PM
This really needed a new thread

It's the deadest part of the offseason, the Kawhi thread is dead, and half of the other posts on the front page are fucking dabom posts. What the hell else are we supposed to talk about?

dabom
07-30-2018, 06:55 PM
It's the deadest part of the offseason, the Kawhi thread is dead, and half of the other posts on the front page are fucking dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543) posts. What the hell else are we supposed to talk about?
Saw one thread that was mine in the first page. :hat

spurs10
07-30-2018, 06:58 PM

If you go strictly by talent, the obvious choice is Murray/Demar/Gay/Aldridge/Poetl. But goddamn, there is absolutely no reliable 3-point shooting in that lineup, and the defense ain't much to write home about either.

They could boost the shooting by doing something like Murray/Demar/Beli or White/Aldridge/Gasol...but that makes the defense look even worse.

Gay seems like a solid starting candidate but would be sharing shots with DMD and LMA, so he'd probably have more freedom in the 2nd unit.

White deserves good minutes, and perhaps a shot at cracking the starting lineup.

Lot of different ways things could break down over the season. I think Gay will be crucial to our success, but you're right about our lack of 3pt shooting in the obvious starters if Murray/ DD/ and LMA are out there...as someone else said make Gay the 6th man. Maybe play 3 guards with Mills starting. Or have Beli play SF in the starting lineup.

And yeah...what the hell is there to talk about? An NBA fans longest month of the year is coming!

offset formation
07-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Please leave.

Reminded me of this...though I'm not sure we should be so kind.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/288a933a1843135a0b86c34f899a3b43/tenor.gif?itemid=9945439

TD 21
07-30-2018, 07:20 PM

Lot of different ways things could break down over the season.

A Murray-Aldridge-Poeltl troika would be elite defensively, even with Gay and DeRozan on the wings (mediocre and poor as they are respectively, at least they're not physical liabilities).

As long as Aldridge-DeRozan-Murray remain the core, I doubt Poeltl ever starts. A finishing C isn't tenable offensively next to those 3, plus sooner than later Aldridge won't be able to get by even part time defending PF's.

Whether starting or not, Gay will play some with Aldridge and DeRozan and when he does, he's going to have to function mostly as a spot up 3-point shooter.

barbacoataco
07-30-2018, 08:43 PM
The Spurs got rid of Kyle Anderson, Green and Parker. This year they added DeRozan, Belinelli and more Gay, Davis, and maybe White. I think the consensus is the offense will be better and the defense worse. DeRozan averaged 27 ppg year before last. Look who he is replacing- Anderson or Green. Either way that is a massive upgrade in terms of scoring power.

Another way to look at it if you're only looking at 3pt shooting. The Spurs lost only Green as a 3pt shooter and they added Belinelli. Big loss in defense but not in shooting. Also I think Bertans is due to break out as a 3pt shooter. He can get his shot off in the NBA and once he gets confidence I think he will improve.

The common thread in all this is improving offense while sacrificing defense. Only the addition of Poeltl can be seen as s defense upgrade. He had monster defensive stats and is young. I hope he gets minutes.

spurs10
07-30-2018, 08:47 PM
A Murray-Aldridge-Poeltl troika would be elite defensively, even with Gay and DeRozan on the wings (mediocre and poor as they are respectively, at least they're not physical liabilities).

As long as Aldridge-DeRozan-Murray remain the core, I doubt Poeltl ever starts. A finishing C isn't tenable offensively next to those 3, plus sooner than later Aldridge won't be able to get by even part time defending PF's.

Whether starting or not, Gay will play some with Aldridge and DeRozan and when he does, he's going to have to function mostly as a spot up 3-point shooter. Yep...Gay will need to be a 3 pt threat. That's why expect to see Beli and/or Mills out there with those two.

Poetlt will really benefit from playing with "The Manu," who should be announcing his triumphant return any day now. I haven't seen White enough to know about his pick'n roll skills.

SpursDynasty85
07-30-2018, 08:48 PM

Whether starting or not, Gay will play some with Aldridge and DeRozan and when he does, he's going to have to function mostly as a spot up 3-point shooter.

Yep. That lineup is with the right focus and gameplan could shut down a lot of lineups. I'm sure Pop likes the idea of having so many possible rotations like this. Plus ones with more shooters and better offense.

barbacoataco
07-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Murray's lack of a 3pt shot is the glaring issue. If he could come up with one it would be huge. Even if he's just a guy who has to be wide open at one of his spots, he would make the spacing better for the whole team. With both Aldridge and DeRozan working the mid-space the Sours need guys to stretch the floor. Look for Belinelli to get minutes. Manu can still hit a 3. Marco and Manu together. Who needs defense in today's NBA? Popovich is adaptable and they might be building a different team.

cutewizard
07-31-2018, 07:26 AM
White has the makings of a great court general for the Spurs.......

Roscoe P. Coltrane
07-31-2018, 10:42 AM
What are you talking about? The Spurs are full of consistent shooters. They are consistently inconsistent.

cutewizard
08-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Murray's lack of a 3pt shot is the glaring issue. If he could come up with one it would be huge. Even if he's just a guy who has to be wide open at one of his spots, he would make the spacing better for the whole team. With both Aldridge and DeRozan working the mid-space the Sours need guys to stretch the floor. Look for Belinelli to get minutes. Manu can still hit a 3. Marco and Manu together. Who needs defense in today's NBA? Popovich is adaptable and they might be building a different team.

:bobo

SAGirl
08-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Completely agree... But it couldn't be helped. Suspect some of those one trick ponies shooters will end up playing more than they are currently projected. I expect Pop to rely heavily on guys like Forbes and Marco. My hope really is Davis takes a small leap but at his age, ?? Not sure how much better he can be really. Derozan, Aldridge and Gay are already what they are. Murray is the only one that can be at least team MIP... We shall see.

cutewizard
08-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Spurstalk is one of the best forums on the planet.

MaNu4Tres
08-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Derrick White will be one of the best shooters in the NBA next year. > 40%

TD 21
08-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Completely agree... But it couldn't be helped. Suspect some of those one trick ponies shooters will end up playing more than they are currently projected. I expect Pop to rely heavily on guys like Forbes and Marco. My hope really is Davis takes a small leap but at his age, ?? Not sure how much better he can be really. Derozan, Aldridge and Gay are already what they are. Murray is the only one that can be at least team MIP... We shall see.

Mills, Belinelli and Bertans, will likely play relatively significant minutes, but I don't see it with Forbes. He's likely behind White, who's already probably going to get somewhat squeezed (not really because he'll likely play relatively significant minutes when any non C isn't available and that's a common occurrence leaguewide).

Now that they're essentially forced to give Bertans a consistent role, I think he can and will be markedly better.

SpursDynasty85
08-02-2018, 04:24 PM

I think Bertans has much better potential than what we saw last year. He never really saw consistent minutes and nobody on last year's team (especially off the bench) knew who they were going to be playing with on any given night). With more consistent and predictable rotations and playing time Bertans should see a marked improvement. (i.e. Manu was 25 when he came in to the NBA). He made his style fit today's NBA and Bertan's style is what the whole NBA is trying to go for. Too bad he is missing a finger and has TRex arms.

Coach X
08-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I think Bertans game was hurt by lack of regular minutes and undefined role. See the good impact continuity had on Kyle Anderson. I expect Davis to play more and more often this season. He's good enough shooting to improve his % consequently.

Obviously, looking at the roster, 3pt shooting won't be the team's stronger weapon but there are reasons to refrain from being pessimistic.

I think the main reason for the low % from last season was that players weren't making their shots. It was too hard to get a clean open three, everybody was playing above his role trying to make the play.
This season, shooters won't have to create all the space for their shots as there are more players able of breaking the defense. DeRozan verticality will make other teams help and sharing the court with Aldridge will improve the spacing, compared to any other starting lineup from last year. Murray will shoot slightly better from 3 but the big improvement should be an increased ability to drive and kick out for others. Our second unit looks much better offensively as well. Patty, Marco, Manu, even Gay, Aldridge and Gasol should hit more of their shots if they are open. White, Cunningham, and Forbes should be at least decent outside shooters.

Also, have a look to this. (https://twitter.com/The_BBall_Index/status/1024621125815492609)I believe DeMar can benefit from Spurs system (passing, spacing) and not necessarily being the #1 option all the time. He should find better positions and hit more of his threes.

So we won't be a fantastic 3pt team but we should be fine. Defense is more worrying to me.

sasaint
08-02-2018, 06:16 PM
With all the new faces plus the uncertainty at the "3", I don't understand why many posters believe players can expect more consistent minutes or predictable roles. If anything, Pop has serious justification for going all mad scientist.

keithington1
08-02-2018, 11:14 PM
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fan/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhoopshabit.com%2Ffiles%2F2 015%2F02%2Flebron-james-gary-neal-nba-finals-miami-heat-san-antonio-spurs.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

keithington1
08-02-2018, 11:23 PM
http://hoopeduponline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/splash-bros.jpg

SAGirl
08-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Mills, Belinelli and Bertans, will likely play relatively significant minutes, but I don't see it with Forbes. He's likely behind White, who's already probably going to get somewhat squeezed (not really because he'll likely play relatively significant minutes when any non C isn't available and that's a common occurrence leaguewide).

Now that they're essentially forced to give Bertans a consistent role, I think he can and will be markedly better.

I think Bertans has much better potential than what we saw last year. He never really saw consistent minutes and nobody on last year's team (especially off the bench) knew who they were going to be playing with on any given night). With more consistent and predictable rotations and playing time Bertans should see a marked improvement. (i.e. Manu was 25 when he came in to the NBA). He made his style fit today's NBA and Bertan's style is what the whole NBA is trying to go for. Too bad he is missing a finger and has TRex arms.
Davis has basically been the same player for the two seasons I have already watched him, but he's definitely going to play rotation minutes this time and I think Pop will go into the season planning from the get-go to have him in the rotation, with perhaps plays for him being integrated into their offense which will allow him to blossom hopefully.