PDA

View Full Version : Darko The Next David Robinson?

jochhejaam
10-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Relax, it's not an original thought but a thread that was started in our Piston's Message Board. I'll post it for entertainment value only.

It's an easier read if you clink on the link provided but I'll post the thread too.
http://pistons.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/951103441/m/3391017833

LarryClown
Rookie Posted October 23, 2005 01:31 AM
Hey guys,just thought i make a thread about who darko reminds me of the most.I have seen D.Robinson's game on tape,when the admiral was around Darko's age now.And i must say that Darko's quickness and foot speed reminds me of a young D.Robinson.Also i think they both liked the jump shot.At their stage of development d.robinson was only a better rebounder.Maybe i'm dreaming,but i can really see Darko becoming the 2nd comming of D.Robinson.Only time will tell.Btw forgot to mention they both were/are great shotblockers.

The Kingpin
Star
Posted October 23, 2005 02:02 AM
I could see it happening, Darko just needs to get Coordinated.

----------------

Feldie
Star Posted October 23, 2005 03:43 AM
Hopefully the kid works hard to get that same body D. Robinson had, he was built like Adonis!

It's not personal, it's just business -Michael Corleone

"I saw they were trying to go at Ben a couple of times and I was like, 'Wow, good luck,'"- Chauncey Billups after seeing No. 1 overall pick Andrew Bogut in a preseason game.
Rookie
Posted October 23, 2005 03:54 AM
drugs are bad for you. a young david robinson could came off LB's bench and ran the team because of his gifts. i dont see anything david robinson-like in darko. nothing.

___

Dr. J
Star Posted October 23, 2005 03:59 AM
Actually David didn't like Larry. Had David not already been established when Larry coached him, he may never have played.

Anyone making a statement about Darko, one way or the other, can not be taken seriously.

FreshPrince22
Superstar Posted October 23, 2005 04:05 AM
quote:

And how old was David Robinson as a rookie??? 24! Darko just turned 20 over the summer.

Swettz
Star Posted October 23, 2005 06:56 AM
Yeah, Robinson came into the league late.

THE X-FACTOR™
Superstar
Posted October 23, 2005 07:23 AM
Didn't LarryClown start this as a joke or jab at Darko?

anyways....

If you want something comparable I think Darko will have a season similar to Mehmet Okur's rookie season. You won't see the 3 point range Memo had (yet he is close definitely college 3 point range) but Darko will be a better shot blocker and over-all defender (not hard when you compare him to Okur). Remember Memo was 23 his rookie season and doesn't have the quickness or athleticism Milicic has.

gentile
Rookie
Posted October 23, 2005 08:01 AM
Darko is the next coming of Darko. Even from the little bit that we've seen, it's obvious Dark Man has some signature post moves. LB was right to demand that DM post more.

Plus, while David backed down from the premier centers in the league, it's obvious that Darko used to run the streets. Did you see Dark Man get physical with Shaq last night? From now on, I'm calling him Ghetto Milicic, or Gangster Dark Man or something.

Chauncey&Dupree Fan
Veteran Posted October 23, 2005 08:05 AM
quote:

LOL...darko like David? That is totally untrue and an insult to David.

gentile
Rookie
Posted October 23, 2005 08:24 AM
David Robinson was a choker with more talent than he knew what to do with. The comparison is an insult to Darko.

FreshPrince22
Superstar
Posted October 23, 2005 09:17 AM
This is awful.. Darko is more of a rich man's Wilt on offense and a rich man's Bill Russell on defense.

LarryClown
Rookie
Posted October 23, 2005 12:08 PM
No its not a joke ok.I'm not poking fun at either Darko or the Admiral.I have early D.RObinson tapes when he was playing at Naval Academy plus his roles on the usa world c'ships team in 1986,Robinson was only 21 then.I only compared their foot spped and lateral movement.Darko's only 20 now and from what i saw Robinson wasn't much better at same stage.Robinson actually grew couple inches in his senior year at naval academy and then became dominant.I'm not saying that Darko will be the next D.Robinson,but he has the tools to become as good or even better.Its up to Darko now to improve in the future.Forgot to mention this,Larry Brown actually compared Darko to a younger version of Sabonis at one stage.If Darko ever becomes as good as Sabonis was in the 80's then pistons have a future hall of famer on their hands.

THE X-FACTOR™
Superstar Posted October 23, 2005 12:30 PM
sorry LarryClown..... I have almost forgotten the play of David Robinson

sheedville
Sophomore
Posted October 23, 2005 12:57 PM
LMAO! You're kidding, right?

Whet Gas
Star Posted October 23, 2005 01:11 PM
Well...

The truth of the matter is that Robinson's best attributes were his intelligence and athleticism. Darko has the athleticism now and the game sense will come in time. Maybe the comparison will be accurate in a few years.

Marklar MM
10-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Darko, the next Robinson. NEVER.

Darko is gonna be a hybrid of Russell, Chamberlain, Jordan, and Magic.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-23-2005, 03:56 PM
too conservative to make sense

Obstructed_View
10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Can Darko walk the court on his hands? Seriously, it's an ignorant thought. David Robinson was the greatest athlete I ever saw at that size. Ralph Samson, when he came out of college, was the only other one that came close.

dknights411
10-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Aern't we getting a bit ahead of ourselves?

MaNuMaNiAc
10-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Basically you people are telling me that Darko is good enough to be as good or better than a top50 player of all time???? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND??

Horry For 3!
10-23-2005, 09:10 PM
:lmao these Pistons fans are idiots with their pre-season wins and Darko

Darko is horrible, he will never be David Robinson, not even in his dreams.

mavsfan1000
10-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Darko will be great some day.

Trainwreck2100
10-23-2005, 11:27 PM

Can you say sideline reporter.

bdubya
10-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Can you say sideline reporter.

Lemme take a run at it: "Si...side...sideline repoDARKO IS GOING TO OWN THE LEAGUE! DARKO ROOOLZ!!!!!!!

No, I guess I can't.

Sense
10-24-2005, 01:46 AM
What a fuckin joke.....

How dare you compare that "player" to a legend.

mavsfan1000
10-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Yeah I wouldn't quite call Robinson a legend. Darko definitely is way past a legend. Even Jordan doesn't compare.

jochhejaam
10-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Basically you people are telling me that Darko is good enough to be as good or better than a top50 player of all time???? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND??

Actually MaNu none of the contributors to the originally transferred thread post in this forum so they won't be able to answer the question. :lol

But I'll speak on their behalf and say that they aren't crazy, there just fans.

jochhejaam
10-24-2005, 05:30 AM
:lmao these Pistons fans are idiots with their pre-season wins and Darko

Darko is horrible, he will never be David Robinson, not even in his dreams.

(sigh) I guess I'll have to go through these posts one by one and straighten them out. :lol
Darko is Darko, David was David and unless you've watched the Piston's and Darko, especially in this preseason, you don't know enough about the young man to give a qualified assessment of his skills.
He's no where near horrible. He's a 20 year old with little actual game playing side who is showing a tremendous upside. It's way too early in his career to judge him one way or the other.

jochhejaam
10-24-2005, 05:31 AM

Can't find any fault in this post from a neutral observer. :lol

jochhejaam
10-24-2005, 05:36 AM
What a fuckin joke.....

How dare you compare that "player" to a legend.

Imitation and emulation are the highest forms of sincere flattery, no need to get upset with the Darko/Piston fans. The comparisons drawn should be taken as a compliment to David (no one's saying he's that presently that good) who was one of the greatest basketball players of all time and is at the very top in terms of being a great human being and humanitarian.
They don't get any better than David.

Lighten up my brothas :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2005, 09:31 AM
I've seen Darko play jochhejaam, where the hell are the similarities?? I mean its one thing to jump the gun and proclaim him to be a great bball player some day, but don't come here and compare him to The Admiral because there is absolutely no resemblance

Marklar MM
10-24-2005, 02:26 PM
I've seen Darko play jochhejaam, where the hell are the similarities?? I mean its one thing to jump the gun and proclaim him to be a great bball player some day, but don't come here and compare him to The Admiral because there is absolutely no resemblance

You see Darko play this preseason?

kris
10-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I haven't seen this similar athleticism spoke of about Darko. I think if he had it, he would have found his way off the bench. David probably got as high as anyone ever now that I think about it.

Marcus Bryant
10-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Well, they are both left handed bigs...by golly he is the next David Robinson.

Marklar MM
10-24-2005, 03:19 PM
The whole problem with Darko is that he has little intensity. He has the speed and quickness to be a good player, he just has to understand how to fully use it.

cheguevara
10-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Darko is not even the next Mrs. Robinson:
http://www.tarrantnostra.com/b7lib/images/gbgrad.jpg

ABDENOUR POWER
10-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Darko the next David Robinson? Thats just insulting.

(to Darko, of course. He's already so far above Robinson that they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. :elephant )

Chris
10-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Darko the next David Robinson? Thats just insulting.

(to Darko, of course. He's already so far above Robinson that they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. :elephant )

Trollish

ALVAREZ6
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
I think the Piss fan was joking..

If not, than he's the biggest troll in the history of trolls.

ducks
10-24-2005, 07:48 PM
I think it is almost as bad as comparing mj to james

MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2005, 08:41 PM
You see Darko play this preseason? :lmao no, why? has he done anything remotely close to even be considered in the same shadow as the admiral?? Look, I can understand you being a fan, but don't get carried away ok, Darko might end up being an above-average player, but he will never be great in the sense Robinson was, deal with it.

mavsfan1000
10-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Darko is the greatest ever. It is not even close.

jochhejaam
10-24-2005, 09:35 PM
:lol
:lol C'mon, yer killin' me MaNu, I never cited any similarities, I just hijacked the thread from the Piston's Message Board. I'm sure you're welcome to sign up at their board and ask them personally.

I am startin' to like Darko's game though... :)

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2005, 12:07 AM
:lol
:lol C'mon, yer killin' me MaNu, I never cited any similarities, I just hijacked the thread from the Piston's Message Board. I'm sure you're welcome to sign up at their board and ask them personally.

I am startin' to like Darko's game though... :)
true, I was talking about them then

mavsfan1000
10-25-2005, 12:13 AM
I do see the athleticism similarities but skill is a different story. It depends on how much Darko works on that and if he has any limitations that Robinson didn't have. Darko can also be compared to Dirk or Garnett in that way also.

Marklar MM
10-25-2005, 02:13 PM
:lmao no, why? has he done anything remotely close to even be considered in the same shadow as the admiral?? Look, I can understand you being a fan, but don't get carried away ok, Darko might end up being an above-average player, but he will never be great in the sense Robinson was, deal with it.

Nah. I don't believe Darko is like Robinson, yet. He still has a good 16 years left in the league, if not more. He just has to refine his game. He has amazing speed for a 7 footer, he has quick post moves, and he can shoot the outside shot. He is a good free throw shooter. Good shot blocker. He can definitely get more aggressive with the boards. He is getting better and better. Not to mention, he can body up Shaq pretty well. :)

jochhejaam
10-27-2005, 08:44 PM
The 20 year old is coming out! Five blocked shots in 11 first-half minutes against the Mavs tonight! :elephant

Pistons 56 - Mavs 45 at the half.

Pistons < Spurs
10-27-2005, 08:50 PM
The 20 year old is coming out! Five blocked shots in 11 first-half minutes against the Mavs tonight! :elephant

Pistons 56 - Mavs 45 at the half.

He truly is looking amazing out there. His defense is getting to all of the Mav's.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Darko's a butt pirate.

mavsfan1000
10-27-2005, 10:40 PM
mavs win. Detroit seems to struggle against them. :lol

Pistons < Spurs
10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Darko's a butt pirate.

who wears the eye patch? you or him?

sprrs
10-28-2005, 12:00 AM
You had to have expected us to react like this, Drob's pretty close to us even now that he's retired. Comparing someone who hasn't even seen any real regular season action isn't exactly going to make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If he really does have the potential to be that great, we'll find out about it somewhere between now and June.

FreshPrince22
10-28-2005, 12:05 AM
mavs win. Detroit seems to struggle against them. :lol

:lol Yes, our 3rd string had a hard time containing Dirk, Jason Terry, Marquis Daniels, and KVH. Avery had starters and key bench players on the floor the entire night. He did the same thing at the Palace. Flip had 2 rookies, Darko, Delfino, and Evans in the game for the last 10 minutes against them. Those 5 players probably have a combined career regular season minutes totals of under 1500.
________
Hyde Park Residence 2 Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

mavsfan1000
10-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Dallas struggles at home. They are better off on the road. I never seen anything like it.

jochhejaam
10-28-2005, 05:20 AM
You had to have expected us to react like this, Drob's pretty close to us even now that he's retired. Comparing someone who hasn't even seen any real regular season action isn't exactly going to make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If he really does have the potential to be that great, we'll find out about it somewhere between now and June.

I expected the reaction otherwise I wouldn't have posted the thread. :)
Contrasting Darko's playing style to David's is totally different than comparing lifetime stats or achievements.

If you consider what a player accomplishes on and off the court I'd rate David Robinson at the very top of my list, bar none.

Spurminator
10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
I was at the Dallas/Detroit game last night and I must admit I was surprised and impressed by Darko. He's extremely athletic for his size. I don't think I've seen enough to call him a future All Star yet, but he looks much improved from last year.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I was at the Dallas/Detroit game last night and I must admit I was surprised and impressed by Darko. He's extremely athletic for his size. I don't think I've seen enough to call him a future All Star yet, but he looks much improved from last year.
Playing time will do that.

jochhejaam
10-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the first-hand account, it was on a channel I don't get so I had to follow espn's gamecast.