PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Dirk To Break Record For Seasons With One Team

Spurtacular
08-01-2018, 10:56 PM
Saw this about a week ago somewhere. His 21st season with one team breaks the record (or rather gives him sole possession of the record). I don't remember the order, but Stockton, Duncan, Kobe were in the top six.

daslicer
08-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Pretty impressive. That's a record that will probably will never be broken.

Fabbs
08-01-2018, 11:40 PM
yah stat padding. :rolleyes

TDMVPDPOY
08-02-2018, 12:16 AM
keep cashing those cheques if cuban wants to continue to hand them out

Arcadian
08-02-2018, 12:39 AM
Tim could have done 21 years if he wanted to. And that would've been fitting for #21. I always hoped he would do that :lol

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 12:54 AM
Cuban loves Dirk playing still. He can tank while still selling those high-priced tickets.

Bynumite
08-02-2018, 01:41 AM
Jim is unplayable in the current era. Even prime Jim would have to be benched vs State tbh imho.

If Dirk and Jim were both in their primes right now, Dirk would have been the superior and GOAT PF.

mudyez
08-02-2018, 02:01 AM
Jim is unplayable in the current era. Even prime Jim would have to be benched vs State tbh imho.

If Dirk and Jim were both in their primes right now, Dirk would have been the superior and GOAT PF.

Using this reasoning...If Bird and Magic would be competing right now, Bird would eat Magic alive.

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 02:32 AM

Would Peja be GOAT period?

Monostradamus
08-02-2018, 07:12 AM
Maybe ShrimplyPibbles should chime in too.

Chris Fall
08-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Still more than competent to still be playing. Shot 40% from three. 18/8 per 36 minute production. And playing more center in this YMCA league where there are virtually no lowpost, backdown centers, his defense is less of an issue especially with the minutes he plays. And he accepts the shorter minutes and reduced role despite his efficiency. And he’s taken more and bigger paycuts these last few seasons than anyone I can remember, given his still very good production. The love of the game is strong in him.

Historically great player doing historically great things.

Fabbs
08-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Maybe ShrimplyPibbles should chime in too.Maybe Tim should ask Dork what it's like to miss the playoffs.

DAF86
08-02-2018, 12:30 PM

This doesn't make sense at all, tbh.

First of all, the idea that Duncan would be unplayable on this era is just laughable. :lol

But let's just play with it. If you say Duncan would be "unplayable" it would be because of his defense. The idea is that he would be too slow for today's NBA. If that was the case, then Dirk would be even more unplayable than Duncan, tbh. Duncan is fucking Allen Iverson compared to Dirk in terms of quickness and lateral movement.

Phenomanul
08-02-2018, 01:23 PM
This doesn't make sense at all, tbh.

First of all, the idea that Duncan would be unplayable on this era is just laughable. :lol

But let's just play with it. If you say Duncan would be "unplayable" it would be because of his defense. The idea is that he would be too slow for today's NBA. If that was the case, then Dirk would be even more unplayable than Duncan, tbh. Duncan is fucking Allen Iverson compared to Dirk in terms of quickness and lateral movement.

Even while having been out of the league for two whole seasons Duncan can still defend better than Dirk.

daslicer
08-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Even while having been out of the league for two whole seasons Duncan can still defend better than Dirk.

Duncan's defense even when he was washed up was amazing. He had the ability to remain a step ahead of the opponent and figure out what they were going to do before they did it.

CR2WFfmfkdk

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-02-2018, 02:45 PM

this is .. not ... a good take

tenbeersbold
08-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Duncan's defense even when he was washed up was amazing. He had the ability to remain a step ahead of the opponent and figure out what they were going to do before they did it.

CR2WFfmfkdk

Duncan studied most players tendencies and moves,true master of his craft

Fabbs
08-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Maybe Kobme Bryant should chime in too.
Hey maybe Dork and his idol can start a clothing company.
http://image.excite.it/lei/news/dieselburqua-default.jpg

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 06:50 PM

CR2WFfmfkdk

He actually played solid defense on every possession unlike other stat stuffers who won DPOYs.

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 06:53 PM

CR2WFfmfkdk

D Green making all types of defensive plays in a video about Duncan. Spurs should've shipped Patty instead of Green.

Monostradamus
08-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Hey maybe Dork and his idol can start a clothing company.
http://image.excite.it/lei/news/dieselburqua-default.jpg

:lmao you were so salty about me outing your alt that you CAME BACK to my post and replied to it for a second time NINE HOURS LATER :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
08-02-2018, 08:32 PM
to say duncan cant play in this era is laughable

look at the games vs small ball, spurs always throw out big line ups to pummel those small big lineups small ball...

98/99 td the slimmer version would destroy small ball today, more mobile could defend out onto the perimeter, remember when pop played drob/perdue/td same time

daslicer
08-02-2018, 08:39 PM
to say duncan cant play in this era is laughable

look at the games vs small ball, spurs always throw out big line ups to pummel those small big lineups small ball...

98/99 td the slimmer version would destroy small ball today, more mobile could defend out onto the perimeter, remember when pop played drob/perdue/td same time

The league changed the rules after summer of '04 and Duncan still dominated the Suns when they went small. Like you said small ball line ups never worked against the Spurs during the Duncan era. Whenever the Spurs lost it was always to a team that went with big line ups ala Mavs with Dirk/Dampier/Diop and Lakers with Gasol/Odom.

Mark Celibate
08-03-2018, 07:46 AM

I agree to some extent, but it’s not like Kobe and Jim were extremely valuable their last season on the court either

DMC
08-03-2018, 07:50 AM
These guys are ticket sellers. Business is still the real motive of the game.

Gagnrath
08-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Tim could have done 21 years if he wanted to. And that would've been fitting for #21. I always hoped he would do that :lol

No his last season he went down to 0 knees instead of having just 1 and could no longer move. He retired due to health.

Spurtacular
08-05-2018, 09:01 PM
I agree to some extent, but it’s not like Kobe and Jim were extremely valuable their last season on the court either

Wasn't Tim anchoring a top-ranked defense? I know that if it wasn't the last season, then it was the season before.

Spurtacular
08-05-2018, 09:05 PM
No his last season he went down to 0 knees instead of having just 1 and could no longer move. He retired due to health.

Timmy still average 12.2 pts and 10.5 reb and 1.8 blks per 36. He was still a good player; but he didn't want to be a 22 min a game guy unable to dominate in ways he even recently had done. The fans wanted him to stay; but he did what was right for him.

Arcadian
08-06-2018, 01:21 AM

That's true. I guess it's easier to play 21 years as a "soft 4" like Dirk, rather than a "physical 5" like Tim ended up being.

Not to diminish Dirk or anything. Still a spectacular feat.

Spurtacular
08-06-2018, 01:40 AM
That's true. I guess it's easier to play 21 years as a "soft 4" like Dirk, rather than a "physical 5" like Tim ended up being.

Not to diminish Dirk or anything. Still a spectacular feat.

I'll take away something from him. He wasn't playing at a high level like Stockton, Malone, Timmy in the latter years. Dirk more soft like Charmin like older Kobe, tbh. The first three were guys who could be integral parts of 50-win teams. The latter two are soft jump shooters who were destined to not have winning seasons later on.

DMC
08-06-2018, 10:37 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/2ff10v.jpg

Mikeanaro
08-06-2018, 10:45 PM
He´s been a scrub for the last 6 years, complete trash.
AFAIK could be playing 50 seasons as long he can walk around the court, fucking thief.

clambake
08-07-2018, 10:05 AM
who was the biggest fucking thief in the nba last year?

monosylab1k
08-07-2018, 10:12 AM
:lmao why are spurs fans so salty about this?

monosylab1k
08-07-2018, 10:20 AM
who was the biggest fucking thief in the nba last year?

There was a guy south of Dallas who got paid to sit out on his team all year and in the playoffs.

MolaMola790
08-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Prime Duncan can play and dominate in any era, period. You don't know basketball if you think otherwise.

LkrFan
08-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Using this reasoning...If Bird and Magic would be competing right now, Bird would eat Magic alive.

Yeah right! :lmao

Chucho
08-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Yeah right! :lmao

If AIDS couldn't eat Magic alive, Bird sure the hell can't.

LkrFan
08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
:lmao you were so salty about me outing your alt that you CAME BACK to my post and replied to it for a second time NINE HOURS LATER :lmao

Just like a FAGG! :lmao

LkrFan
08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
If AIDS couldn't eat Magic alive, Bird sure the hell can't.

:lol

LkrFan
08-07-2018, 10:28 AM

monosylab1k
08-07-2018, 10:30 AM

Yeah, he was so good that he got subbed out defensively for Boris Fucking Diaw during the biggest moment of a Finals game :lol

Chucho
08-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Cubes has gotta be one of the dumbest fucking owners to luck out into a championship ever.

:lmao

Fabbs
08-07-2018, 10:50 AM
:lmao why are spurs fans so salty about this?
I'm real salty about Dork collecting a stat padding 21st season paycheck while leading the Mavs to another Lottery.

Fabbs
08-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Yeah, he was so good that he got subbed out defensively for Boris Fucking Diaw during the biggest moment of a Finals game :lol
Mixed bag in your attempts to throw shade, 'slob.

True, Duncan let himself be cucked by Crater and cost himself numerous additional Championships.
OTOH he won 5 'ships with Crater at the helm. That is impressive.

Fabbs
08-07-2018, 10:55 AM
'slob you not only incorrectly i.d. me as Shrimpy Pebbles but now you're trying to say I'm also LkrPhan?

monosylab1k
08-07-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm real salty about Dork collecting a stat padding 21st season paycheck while leading the Mavs to another Lottery.

If you weren’t salty, you (and every other Spurs fan) would have seen this story, said “ok cool whatever”, and moved on with your life. The fact that you guys didn’t is pretty damning evidence of how angry this made you.

I know you’re all still lashing out over Kawhi quitting on you, but it’s getting pathetic.

monosylab1k
08-07-2018, 10:58 AM
'slob you not only incorrectly i.d. me as Shrimpy Pebbles but now you're trying to say I'm also LkrPhan?

How could your tiny fucking brain possibly infer that?

Fabbs
08-07-2018, 11:02 AM
If you weren’t salty, you (and every other Spurs fan) would have seen this story, said “ok cool whatever”, and moved on with your life. The fact that you guys didn’t is pretty damning evidence of how angry this made you.

I know you’re all still lashing out over Kawhi quitting on you, but it’s getting pathetic.
No it's a discussion board. We can comment for the most part on whatever we want.

monosylab1k
08-07-2018, 11:03 AM
No it's a discussion board. We can comment for the most part on whatever we want.

And you could have commented “whatever, don’t care” but you chose to be salty. Kawhi isn’t coming back, just get through the 7 Stages Of Grief and get on with your life.

Fabbs
08-07-2018, 11:04 AM
I'm not. I'm one of the few who wants the truth to come out vs fabrication. By that I mean I don't assume Saint Popped and the FO are blameless and this is 100% on *Uncle Dennis*. Maybe it is, but I'd like to have facts.

I do agree with most if not all of SpursTalk that Kwas failure to comment on the situation is beyond lame.

Fabbs
08-07-2018, 11:09 AM
And you could have commented “whatever, don’t care” but you chose to be salty. Kawhi isn’t coming back, just get through the 7 Stages Of Grief and get on with your life.
Only thing I'm salty about is failure of LeBron and Kwa to get together on a team to take down the ultra phaggorty that the NBA has become.

At least one of them, preferably both could have gone to the Celtics and had a hetero organization return to legit Championship status.

And monoslob I will always respect Dorks 2011 season, in particular shooting down the Flamers in the playoffs.

Beyond that he is simply a Kobe worshipping punk faggot.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-07-2018, 11:20 AM
There was a guy south of Dallas who got paid to sit out on his team all year and in the playoffs.

ouch

Chris Fall
08-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Maybe create an alias account called MultiTears?

Kawhitstorm
08-08-2018, 02:58 AM
He's also about to break the record for most seasons without a playoff series victory:sleep

Arcadian
08-08-2018, 04:33 AM

...which was the wrong move and a fatal error by Pop that cost his team the championship. :lol

DMC
08-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Fan of Dirk, but the micro accomplishments are tedious.

Fabbs
08-08-2018, 09:37 AM
He's also about to break the record for most seasons without a playoff series victory:sleep

Gagnrath
08-08-2018, 07:50 PM
In my case, I see it and sorta feel sad by the last couple of years, when you have a great player hanging on as a ghost of himself it's hard to watch sometimes. I feel like since 2015 Dirk has been on teams that aren't competitive, and he is part of why. I also think that he is hurting his own legacy as a player by killing his averages people don't when looking at career legacies go let's chop off the last 5 years so that he has a 15 year career like most great players oh wow yeah he has comparable stats they look at overall and his averages hurt because of it.

I also feel like Cuban has decided to check out as owner of the Mavs a bit and is getting his camera time fix with shark tank instead which is detrimental to the Mavs as an organization. Why not move Dirk to a role like executive vp of basketball operations and let him make basically 300K to be the face of the front office and team since Cuban is moving away from that.

DMC
08-08-2018, 07:54 PM
In my case, I see it and sorta feel sad by the last couple of years, when you have a great player hanging on as a ghost of himself it's hard to watch sometimes. I feel like since 2015 Dirk has been on teams that aren't competitive, and he is part of why. I also think that he is hurting his own legacy as a player by killing his averages people don't when looking at career legacies go let's chop off the last 5 years so that he has a 15 year career like most great players oh wow yeah he has comparable stats they look at overall and his averages hurt because of it.

I also feel like Cuban has decided to check out as owner of the Mavs a bit and is getting his camera time fix with shark tank instead which is detrimental to the Mavs as an organization. Why not move Dirk to a role like executive vp of basketball operations and let him make basically 300K to be the face of the front office and team since Cuban is moving away from that.

Regardless how good people say you were at your job 10 years ago, you still need a job. Dirk just wants a job playing basketball. It's funny how so many think NBAers care more about their "legacy" and averages than millions in income.

Chucho
08-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Regardless how good people say you were at your job 10 years ago, you still need a job. Dirk just wants a job playing basketball. It's funny how so many think NBAers care more about their "legacy" and averages than millions in income.

Especially when you consider a super tired old shitbag like Dirk is being paid incredibly disproportionately to his production. He's miles away from Kobe levels of value to output ratio and overratedness, and he's been a little modest in taking pay cuts.

Unfortunately, those pay cuts are in vain as his boss is inept and his boss keeps him around as a reminder to the fans that he "found" Dirk although he really lucked into him, but it does go some distance in distracting the fans that his boss is indeed an inept owner who's best successes were just throwing around money and lucking into a championship when they could have/should have been a dynasty.

Gagnrath
08-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Dirk might be a somewhat odd case, in that in a lot of ways he is the face of the Mavs and to a lot of casual fans in the DFW metro area having Dirk might sell a family of four on a night at the Mavs game over dinner and a movie. So there might be some justification for Cuban writing Dirk that check over say Marcus Morris. It obviously isn't about money for Dirk, he has given up about $194 million in salary over the course of his career. https://www.businessinsider.com/dirk-nowitzki-discount-contracts-mavs-2017-7 If he wants to have the chance to have a job that let's him play basketball, then what was described in my first post makes sense. This is something of Dirk beingvain and not wanting to admit that he's done, and Cuban using Dirk as a beard for trying to have a winner of a team on his hands.

Spurtacular
08-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Fun fact: Dirk actually shot the highest eFG% of his career last season.

Fabbs
08-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Fun fact: Dirk actually shot the highest eFG% of his career last season.
At real meaningful times in real meaningful games.

Look it was pretty surprising his % went up, but this is nothing more then Kobme Lite.

monosylab1k
08-09-2018, 10:00 AM
you guys are still going on about this? Mavs fans don’t even care this much :lmao

clambake
08-09-2018, 10:33 AM
you guys are still going on about this? Mavs fans don’t even care this much :lmao

truth. mav fans are chill with dirk, can stay as long as he wants.

i know why you guys are really upset.....and its got nothing to do with dirk.

Fabbs
08-09-2018, 11:28 AM
MavPhan expectation level makes this ok. :toast

Spurtacular
08-09-2018, 06:22 PM
At real meaningful times in real meaningful games.

Look it was pretty surprising his % went up, but this is nothing more then Kobme Lite.

Not saying he wasn't an overall liability. His defense his sh** and his offense is more limited (stats are often misleading). But I'll also say that he's actually underpaid. Dallas who is 29th of 30th in salary is only paying this guy $5 million for all those ticket sales and TV ratings all while he helps them to tank for better upcoming profits still yet.

Fabbs
08-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Not saying he wasn't an overall liability. His defense his sh** and his offense is more limited (stats are often misleading). But I'll also say that he's actually underpaid. Dallas who is 29th of 30th in salary is only paying this guy $5 million for all those ticket sales and TV ratings all while he helps them to tank for better upcoming profits still yet.
$5 mil? That is somewhat impressive. I thought he was still sponging like 10-18 per year.

Would have really meant something if he did it Timmy Dunker style about 5 years ago but still impressive given
:lol todays NBA player.

illusioNtEk
08-09-2018, 10:05 PM
how can you hate the guy? true champ imo