PDA

View Full Version : Spurs should've shipped Mills, not Green

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm guessing that the Raptors would've taken Mills instead of Green if they had to. Anyone else think that Pop had to keep his pet and get rid of someone who maybe just hadn't quite gotten over himself enough?

gambit1990
08-02-2018, 06:57 PM
what's done is done.

SpursDynasty85
08-02-2018, 07:03 PM
I'm guessing that the Raptors would've taken Mills instead of Green if they had to. Anyone else think that Pop had to keep his pet and get rid of someone who maybe just hadn't quite gotten over himself enough?

Honestly Raptors had more leverage than the Spurs. Plus the Raptors were not going to take any money at all back past this year. Incase Kawhi does leave they were rebuilding.

Dex
08-02-2018, 07:07 PM
It took you this long to figure this out?

ECOV
08-02-2018, 07:11 PM
what's done is done.

Fusternino
08-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Too late . . . done deal.

Austin_Toros
08-02-2018, 07:28 PM
Tbh I don’t care if the spurs give away patty for nothing

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 07:32 PM

People make a big deal out of his contract. I don't think they realize the frequency in which rotation players make eight figures though. So, yea he could be relatively worth his contract this year. However, D Green was an elite defender / great shooter (at times).

Mills on the other hand gets exposed all day on defense. I could live with it if he wasn't missing so many damn wide-open threes in the clutch.

emmo
08-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Toronto wanted neither player, but Green’s contract is expiring and serves as a salary dump next year when nephew goes home. That’s why should’ve wasn’t.

Play Boban
08-02-2018, 07:49 PM
:cry Sour grapes :cry

daslicer
08-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Like others have said the Raptors did not want Mills and wanted Green due to his expiring contract. Green was a casualty of the Kawhi fiasco but not sure if the Spurs would have even re-signed him next summer.

TimmyBuckets
08-02-2018, 08:10 PM
what's done is done.

Immortal Spur
08-02-2018, 08:50 PM
gonna be a looong summer with threads like this....

exstatic
08-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Honestly Raptors had more leverage than the Spurs. Plus the Raptors were not going to take any money at all back past this year. Incase Kawhi does leave they were rebuilding.

cd021
08-02-2018, 09:53 PM
Gasol not Mills tbh.

Murray
DeRozen
Green
Bertans
LMA

Mills
Belinelli
Manu
Gay
Poeltl

that is a team that wins in the high 50's or even 60 games.

SpursDynasty85
08-02-2018, 09:58 PM
Gasol not Mills tbh.

Murray
DeRozen
Green
Bertans
LMA

Mills
Belinelli
Manu
Gay
Poeltl

that is a team that wins in the high 50's or even 60 games.

I'm sure Spurs would've done it but not the Raptors. They already have Ibaka and Valaciunas plus for 1 yr rental of Kawhi Green was the best fit for Kawhi to feel comfortable too on and off the court the Spurs had. Would've been great to get rid of Gasol tbh. He to me is the biggest liability on the floor.

coachmac87
08-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Toronto wanted neither player, but Green’s contract is expiring and serves as a salary dump next year when nephew goes home. That’s why should’ve wasn’t.

/Thread

benfti
08-02-2018, 10:14 PM
1. Toronto wanted Green because they felt it was their best chance of talking Kawhi into re-signing there with Green singing the praises.
2. Patty isn’t going anywhere while Pop is still around, he values him too much.

99 Problems
08-02-2018, 10:15 PM
No way Pop was giving away his 3rd best player.

cutewizard
08-02-2018, 10:15 PM
:bobo

Dverde
08-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Pop wants Patty for leadership and to mentor Dejounte. I knew he was untouchable. It was more between Danny and Pau Gasol.

heyheymymy
08-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Green had jumped the shark. It's not 2013 anymore. Getting rid of parker green and Kyle was necessary.

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 10:42 PM
People make a whole thing about the one year rental stuff; but what they don't realize is:

1. Toronto is obviously doing the win now / take maybe one last legit shot at a title mentality (especially with Lebron switching conferences).
2. They had soured on DeRozan and his huge contract. They sat him on the bench for the 4th quarter of a playoff game ffs.

This bull shit that they wouldn't have taken Mills is nonsense.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-02-2018, 10:51 PM
As much as I wanted 2014 Green to show up, it’s been pretty obvious that his best days are behind him. Good news for Green fans is that the Spurs might be able to get him back next summer for cheap.

benfti
08-02-2018, 10:53 PM
People make a whole thing about the one year rental stuff; but what they don't realize is:

1. Toronto is obviously doing the win now / take maybe one last legit shot at a title mentality (especially with Lebron switching conferences).
2. They had soured on DeRozan and his huge contract. They sat him on the bench for the 4th quarter of a playoff game ffs.

We didn’t offer him

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 10:54 PM
We didn’t offer him

Surely we didn't offer lil bon bon.

emmo
08-02-2018, 10:58 PM

Toronto is definitely in a win now mode. But the rest of your argument assumes the Spurs had more leverage than they actually had. Toronto preferred taking on Green’s expiring contract over being stuck with Mills’ (or Gasol’s) multi-year contract since neither is a piece to their win-now strategy.

emmo
08-02-2018, 11:01 PM
As much as I wanted 2014 Green to show up, it’s been pretty obvious that his best days are behind him. Good news for Green fans is that the Spurs might be able to get him back next summer for cheap.

Possible

Spurtacular
08-02-2018, 11:06 PM
Toronto is definitely in a win now mode. But the rest of your argument assumes the Spurs had more leverage than they actually had. Toronto preferred taking on Green’s expiring contract over being stuck with Mills’ (or Gasol’s) multi-year contract since neither is a piece to their win-now strategy.

It's not a leverage situation when you're going for the best player in the league even for a year. Toronto was gonna get it done or not.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-02-2018, 11:07 PM

LCM
08-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Raptors already have a cheaper Mills - Fred Van Vleet. Listened to the Jabari Young/Don Harris podcast from July 29th. If Patty isn't here, the Spurs wouldn't have a shot at Marco, and without Marco that is one big piece of motivation for Manu not to come back. Patty, Manu, Marco, and Tiago were really tight. We can form that again with adding Bertans, Poeltl.

I really like how this team is going to shape into a pack of grinders. Players with things to prove ... whether they are reestablishing themselves or carving out their own place. But this is for damn sure, people on this team are going to talk to each other, they are going to play for each other, and if you aren't willing to grind in that 4th quarter to do whatever you can to secure a victory, don't come out of the locker room.

therealtruth
08-02-2018, 11:34 PM
Pop only wanted to keep one all-defensive team member. The wasted potential of Murray-Green-Leonard All-Defensive lineups. That might have actually worked against the Warriors. Now I've seen charts with Beli as the starting SF. Hopefully it doesn't give Pop any ideas.

Dex
08-02-2018, 11:35 PM
The Raptors very clearly had a plan with taking Kawhi: take the gamble for one season to see if he is healthy and if they can convince him to stay, and if not, hit the reset button.

Which means they weren't going to take on any big, long contracts. Which means they weren't going to take Mills. End of story.

The only two players who even remotely fit their needs was Green (1 year left) or Pau (partially guaranteed 2nd year). Obviously, Pau would have been preferable, but Toronto doesn't need another big right now, and despite how you feel about Gasol, the Spurs did.

If we had kept Green, we would be even more over-loaded at SG, and would've had to go out and find another cheap, serviceable center.

I'm not happy about the trade either, but it makes perfect sense why it worked out the way that it did.

TimmyBuckets
08-02-2018, 11:46 PM
The Raptors very clearly had a plan with taking Kawhi: take the gamble for one season to see if he is healthy and if they can convince him to stay, and if not, hit the reset button.

Which means they weren't going to take on any big, long contracts. Which means they weren't going to take Mills. End of story.

The only two players who even remotely fit their needs was Green (1 year left) or Pau (partially guaranteed 2nd year). Obviously, Pau would have been preferable, but Toronto doesn't need another big right now, and despite how you feel about Gasol, the Spurs did.

If we had kept Green, we would be even more over-loaded at SG, and would've had to go out and find another cheap, serviceable center.

I'm not happy about the trade either, but it makes perfect sense why it worked out the way that it did.

emmo
08-03-2018, 12:37 AM

szkorhetz
08-03-2018, 01:01 AM
Pop was pretty clear, that Faptors wanted him. Otherwise the deal wouldn't have been completed.

dbestpro
08-03-2018, 02:29 AM
Mills was offered up to every team in the NBA for their best player. They all said no.

Spurtacular
08-03-2018, 02:51 AM
Mills was offered up to every team in the NBA for their best player. They all said no.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/005/804/Screenshot_146.jpg

Stabula
08-03-2018, 03:48 AM
Danny Green is trash at any price these days. His defense is on the decline and his shot is long long gone.

alpha_HaZE
08-03-2018, 03:51 AM
How about Mills for Leonard, Meyers from Portland + Blazers 2020 first round pick? Mills is better than Staukas, has played for them in the past and the fans loved him, and will fit well after the departure of Napier. Leonard on the other side hasn't been able to find minutes, but the guy works hard in the off-season, has a nice 3 point shot, and quite surprisignly has numbers very similar to Patty. For example, they have identical defensive rating, they shot the ball from the 3 at the same rate, and have a similar usage and eFG percentages. Leonard could is a better fit for us and will make our roster more balanced.

DJ/White
DDR/Bryn/Manu
Gay/Beli/Lonnie
LA/Davis/Leonard
Pau/Poeltl

I wouldn't go for it right now, but wait and see how Bryn and more importantly White and DJ are playing. If they are hitting their 3 point shots and can play better defense than Patty, I would go for it.

Spurs having 2 first round picks in back to back drafts would allow us to surround LA, DDR, and Gay with some nice young talent. I am pretty sure that all 3 when their contracts are up will sign longer team friendly deals.

kobyz
08-03-2018, 04:13 AM
Green is garbage

Stabula
08-03-2018, 04:15 AM
Green is garbage

Isitjustme?
08-03-2018, 05:18 AM
How about Mills for Leonard, Meyers from Portland + Blazers 2020 first round pick? Mills is better than Staukas, has played for them in the past and the fans loved him, and will fit well after the departure of Napier. Leonard on the other side hasn't been able to find minutes, but the guy works hard in the off-season, has a nice 3 point shot, and quite surprisignly has numbers very similar to Patty. For example, they have identical defensive rating, they shot the ball from the 3 at the same rate, and have a similar usage and eFG percentages. Leonard could is a better fit for us and will make our roster more balanced.

DJ/White
DDR/Bryn/Manu
Gay/Beli/Lonnie
LA/Davis/Leonard
Pau/Poeltl

I wouldn't go for it right now, but wait and see how Bryn and more importantly White and DJ are playing. If they are hitting their 3 point shots and can play better defense than Patty, I would go for it.

Spurs having 2 first round picks in back to back drafts would allow us to surround LA, DDR, and Gay with some nice young talent. I am pretty sure that all 3 when their contracts are up will sign longer team friendly deals.

Lol first round pick. You'd have to include a first to dump him

r0drig0lac
08-03-2018, 05:35 AM

daledondale
08-03-2018, 06:25 AM
No way Pop was giving away his 3rd best player.
https://media.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/giphy.gif

John B
08-03-2018, 07:35 AM
This. If things don’t work out with Kawhitter, Raptors rebuild with young core. We still could see Danny back

ducks
08-03-2018, 10:39 AM

they wanted an expriring contrat
they want to start over if leonard does not stay

shaq_h8ter
08-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Green was Kries safety blanket in strange town.
Not to mention, even I noticed Green was gimping around the court.
Hmm healthy player that shoots threes vs Mr Gimpy's 3pt shot and gimpy D.

LittleCriminal
08-03-2018, 11:14 AM
I know the celtics would be in need of a meth fix to do this but..

Gasol and Mills for Irving and G.Yab*****

BackHome
08-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Raptors already have a cheaper Mills - Fred Van Vleet. Listened to the Jabari Young/Don Harris podcast from July 29th. If Patty isn't here, the Spurs wouldn't have a shot at Marco, and without Marco that is one big piece of motivation for Manu not to come back. Patty, Manu, Marco, and Tiago were really tight. We can form that again with adding Bertans, Poeltl.

I really like how this team is going to shape into a pack of grinders. Players with things to prove ... whether they are reestablishing themselves or carving out their own place. But this is for damn sure, people on this team are going to talk to each other, they are going to play for each other, and if you aren't willing to grind in that 4th quarter to do whatever you can to secure a victory, don't come out of the locker room.

Damn you need to post more great write up :toast

TD 21
08-03-2018, 04:55 PM
:lmao At the usual suspect apologists out in full force. I don't care how low Leonard's value was, why would the team acquiring a top 5 player for a discount price, have basically everything else go their way too?

take the gamble for one season to see if he is healthy and if they can convince him to stay, and if not, hit the reset button.

but Toronto doesn't need another big right now, and despite how you feel about Gasol, the Spurs did.

If we had kept Green, we would be even more over-loaded at SG.

Since they're going to be re-building if Leonard leaves anyway, why was maximizing '19 flexibility supposedly going to be a deal breaker (in a trade they'd have won in a landslide either way)? It's obvious why they would have preferred Green, but I'm not convinced they let the trade fall through otherwise. More likely, the Spurs preferred it this way, given their bizarre obsession with Mills and intent to move on from Green.

So the Raptors, with 3 remaining bigs and only 2 of which can credibly play C, have "too many bigs", but the Spurs, with 5 remaining bigs and also 2 of which can credibly play C, wouldn't have had enough without Gasol? Aldridge, Poeltl and Nogueira, for the minimum, would have been a fine C contingent.

Yeah, it's not like multiple SG's can play together. Ginobili never played with Belinelli and won't be doing so next season. Every other relevant team places a premium on 3 and D wings.

Gasol not Mills tbh.

Gasol was the other possibility I mentioned at the time. Had they done that and not signed Belinelli (I realize it came before, but it shouldn't have happened either way) . . .

Gay/Bertans
Green/Ginobili
Aldridge/Poeltl
DeRozan/White
Murray/Mills

Still no superstar or true SF, but a much more logical rotation than whatever it is they trot out next season.

Spurtacular
08-03-2018, 05:02 PM
they wanted an expriring contrat
they want to start over if leonard does not stay

What they want and what they get (settle upon) are two different things.

Fusternino
08-03-2018, 05:06 PM
How last minute was the 5M in cash part? Maybe everything needed to go the Raptors way or else they were threatening to drop the deal. Isn't that what happened with the last minute cash request?

SpursDynasty85
08-03-2018, 05:24 PM
:lmao At the usual suspect apologists out in full force. I don't care how low Leonard's value was, why would the team acquiring a top 5 player for a discount price, have basically everything else go their way too?

Since they're going to be re-building if Leonard leaves anyway, why was maximizing '19 flexibility supposedly going to be a deal breaker (in a trade they'd have won in a landslide either way)? It's obvious why they would have preferred Green, but I'm not convinced they let the trade fall through otherwise. More likely, the Spurs preferred it this way, given their bizarre obsession with Mills and intent to move on from Green.

So the Raptors, with 3 remaining bigs and only 2 of which can credibly play C, have "too many bigs", but the Spurs, with 5 remaining bigs and also 2 of which can credibly play C, wouldn't have had enough without Gasol? Aldridge, Poeltl and Nogueira, for the minimum, would have been a fine C contingent.

Yeah, it's not like multiple SG's can play together. Ginobili never played with Belinelli and won't be doing so next season. Every other relevant team places a premium on 3 and D wings.

Gasol was the other possibility I mentioned at the time. Had they done that and not signed Belinelli (I realize it came before, but it shouldn't have happened either way) . . .

Gay/Bertans
Green/Ginobili
Aldridge/Poeltl
DeRozan/White
Murray/Mills

Still no superstar or true SF, but a much more logical rotation than whatever it is they trot out next season.

Lol. You have no idea what the Raptors would've accepted or not though. You think Masai Ujiri was dead set on trading DeRozan? He had a lot riding on this trade.

Plus timing was crucial. Popovich could use the USA minicamp to jump start the reckoning of the trade that shocked everybody. Also, a lot of Raptors fans thought going to not the East with no Lebron was a good choice. The Sours on the other hand COULD not go to camp with Kawhi there. It would have derailed there season. Timing and leverage (all other teams dropped out of trade talks) were all but gone for the Spurs. Still pretty good haul. Not the most ideal but fair for all teams. Poeltl plus first rounder alone is good value in non all star trade talks.

TD 21
08-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Lol. You have no idea what the Raptors would've accepted or not though. You think Masai Ujiri was dead set on trading DeRozan? He had a lot riding on this trade.

I never claimed to. What I said was, it wouldn't make sense for that to be the deal breaker. Even if it was, then they don't get the top 5 player or at least make them sweat it out longer (after the leaks, which increased the pressure on their end to get this done) before succumbing.

Ujiri wanted to trade DeRozan, but wouldn't have gotten enough value to sell it, if this didn't fall in their lap. DeRozan is like Aldridge, in that his value doesn't align with the caliber of player he is because of his archaic style and inability to play a complimentary role. Most teams trying to win have a better ball dominant player(s) and he's too old for re-building teams.

:lmao At those pretending they did the Spurs a favor.

SpursDynasty85
08-03-2018, 05:47 PM
I never claimed to. What I said was, it wouldn't make sense for that to be the deal breaker. Even if it was, then they don't get the top 5 player or at least make them sweat it out longer (after the leaks, which increased the pressure on their end to get this done) before succumbing.

Ujiri wanted to trade DeRozan, but wouldn't have gotten enough value to sell it, if this didn't fall in their lap. DeRozan is like Aldridge, in that his value doesn't align with the caliber of player he is because of his archaic style and inability to play a complimentary role. Most teams trying to win have a better ball dominant player(s) and he's too old for re-building teams.

:lmao At those pretending they did the Spurs a favor.

Plus timing was crucial. Popovich could use the USA minicamp to jump start the reckoning of the trade that shocked everybody. Also, a lot of Raptors fans thought going to not the East with no Lebron was a good choice. The Sours on the other hand COULD not go to camp with Kawhi there. It would have derailed there season. Timing and leverage (all other teams dropped out of trade talks) were all but gone for the Spurs. Still pretty good haul. Not the most ideal but fair for all teams. Poeltl plus first rounder alone is good value in non all star trade talks.

cjw
08-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Why would the Raptors want back Patty if they already have Lowry/VanVleet as smaller guards?

Also, they made it pretty clear they were looking for a rotation player who has an expiring deal.

TheCerebral1
08-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Mills will have his chance for major minutes and in the end could be a deadline deal. Just give him minutes. I wanted both Mills and Green gone. This team needs to be scrapped and overhauled. I'm still waiting for Gasol to be wheeled out to the sidelines by courtesy wheel chair.