PDA

View Full Version : Dejounte Dropping Pull Up Three Like It Ain't No Thang!

galala
08-13-2018, 08:24 PM
1po4p/xqjed

Wet! If he Dejounte can shoot, watch out :wow

TDMVPDPOY
08-13-2018, 08:30 PM
if he continues to improve his efficiency, should play him at the 3, his size can help the roster where they are lacking at that position, he can be point forward sharing pg duties wih white

have white at pg...

Lonnie Walker IV
08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
True PG for the Spurs. Do yo thing boy.

Spur|n|Austin
08-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Not sure who those kids are he's playing against, but count me in on the side that's excited to see if the work he's put in pays off.

BD24
08-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Man, if this translates even a little bit, watch out.

Genovaswitness
08-13-2018, 08:42 PM
Man, if this translates even a little bit, watch out.

hope it does....shooting over rec leaguers & pulling up against NBA athleticism/close-outs are two different things...PG of the future if it works..

BD24
08-13-2018, 08:52 PM
hope it does....shooting over rec leaguers & pulling up against NBA athleticism/close-outs are two different things...PG of the future if it works..
Agreed, but even this is leaps and bounds better than last year. He wouldn't even take wide opens threes last year. Even if he just hits spot up threes this year that is a huge improvement and would be great for the SL, wouldn't allow teams to sag so fucking far off him like they did last year.

offset formation
08-13-2018, 09:30 PM
His shot form reminds me of Kobe's actually.

offset formation
08-13-2018, 09:34 PM
if he continues to improve his efficiency, should play him at the 3, his size can help the roster where they are lacking at that position, he can be point forward sharing pg duties wih white

have white at pg...

This is actually kind of an interesting thought...would definitely lead to our best combo defensive and offensive set, assuming Murray is able to produce more efficiently.

White/Derozan/Murray/LMA/Poeltl

Work LMA and White on 1 side of floor...with slashers and a corner three (which is Derozan's most efficient spot) for pass out rotations.

DJR210
08-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Please Murray don't play yourself to Memphis..

SouthTexasRancher
08-13-2018, 09:44 PM
Dejounte's off season's 'offensive' work looks like it is paying off. Put that alongside his defense and if Pop and crew can get DD to play a little defense then we should be improved by quite a bit over last season. And if Lonnie Walker IV can make great strides towards earning floor time then the future really will look bright. DW already looks like he belongs on the court for a good amount of minutes, especially by the second half of the season. Hopefully this all turns into W's!

Cardinal
08-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Murray has clearly demonstrated an improved shooting form this summer and it should translate to him at least being able to reliably hit an open jumper next year, which would remarkably improve the spacing of the starting unit.

Genovaswitness
08-13-2018, 09:49 PM
Agreed, but even this is leaps and bounds better than last year. He wouldn't even take wide opens threes last year. Even if he just hits spot up threes this year that is a huge improvement and would be great for the SL, wouldn't allow teams to sag so fucking far off him like they did last year.

True, he was way disrespected last year. Having a shot creator like derozan will also help, anything is better than what way we had in the mute retard last year

SpurSpike
08-13-2018, 10:26 PM
I hope so, it was pretty hard seeing golden state completely ignore him at the 3 point line during the playoffs. Gotta earn that respect, make em pay!

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-13-2018, 10:39 PM

have white at pg...

good idea play him out of position to make him an extremely undersized forward while taking away his strengths as a player

aussies ........

BD24
08-13-2018, 10:48 PM
good idea play him out of position to make him an extremely undersized forward while taking away his strengths as a player

aussies ........
tbh. Playing him at the three is a shit idea.

He is a 1 or 2. Would prefer him at the 1, white at the 2, Derozan at 3. Would give us some good size and versatility in the back court. Shame Derozan is so shit on defense though. Hopefully Pop and the system can at least make him an average defender.

AFBlue
08-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Terrible handle, shooting over 5'8 pudgy white dudes. Not impressed.

TimmyBuckets
08-13-2018, 10:55 PM
Terrible handle, shooting over 5'8 pudgy white dudes. Not impressed.

offset formation
08-13-2018, 11:21 PM

aussies ........

He's long enough to play the 3...6'10" reach. And clearly quick enough.

Really the benefit of doing that would be to have 3 guards on the court at the same time. Could create a few mismatches.

KDKSpurs24
08-13-2018, 11:30 PM
The good thing about this video is that it’s old. I believe this was from earlier in the summer. I’m sure he’s improved a lot since this.

Walter Donovan
08-13-2018, 11:38 PM
2018/2019 starting lineup for the San Antonio Spurs/Seattle SuperSonics:

PG: Murray, Mills, White, Forbes
SG: Belinelli, Ginobili, Walker
SF: DeRozan, Gay, Cunningham
PF: Aldridge, Bertans, Metu
C: Gasol, Poeltl

Murray I suspect is about to take a sizeable role with the team.

tbdog
08-14-2018, 12:18 AM

have white at pg...

His strength is his size and wingspan for a PG. Playing him out of position takes away from his strength.

cutewizard
08-14-2018, 12:59 AM

have white at pg...

My thoughts exactly. This could be the perfect arrangement.

Stabula
08-14-2018, 01:07 AM
We're going to take a wet shit on the league with our much-feared contested long twos

hooperflash
08-14-2018, 02:44 AM
Welcome to SpursTalk brother... usually ST doesn’t miss much so I would just double check the ministry of DJ before making a thread on a video of him already posted. :flag:

kobyz
08-14-2018, 03:40 AM
He's like a 6'5" Greek Freek, has a game of a forward in a guard body...

TheGreatYacht
08-14-2018, 04:01 AM
Are those the eastern conference all stars?

r0drig0lac
08-14-2018, 05:13 AM

He is a 1 or 2. Would prefer him at the 1, white at the 2, Derozan at 3. Would give us some good size and versatility in the back court. Shame Derozan is so shit on defense though. Hopefully Pop and the system can at least make him an average defender.

that is all

duncan2k5
08-14-2018, 05:54 AM

aussies ........

Seriously... I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that was an absolutely dumb statement...

LaMarcus Bryant
08-14-2018, 07:47 AM
yewwww jessss keennnntt dewwww tiiiinnggs like detttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

John B
08-14-2018, 07:50 AM
If that translates to game, on top off his lockdown skills, the likes of Curry will be playing 48 minutes and should alter their game crazy. But I still want DJ to got hard to the hole. His dribble is too high. Patrick Beverly can pick thst. He needs to hug that ball to his body, lower his shoulder and go strong inside. But hitting those outside shots should open up his lane, but needs to develop that explosiveness to the hole. I’m a Spurs fan, so I want him to develop as much. I think we have a very solid young core, potential championship caliber tbh

gospursgojas
08-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Glad to see improved shooting but he still looks out of control when penetrating and dribbles too high.

mudyez
08-14-2018, 08:42 AM
wow, he didn't miss a single shot :spin

rjv
08-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Not sure who those kids are he's playing against, but count me in on the side that's excited to see if the work he's put in pays off.

looked like he was playing at the Y.

StinkyWeezleteats
08-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Please Murray don't play yourself to Memphis..

Don't worry bro, they already got their franchise guy in FatHead.

DAF86
08-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Murray can't defend 3's, c'mon now. Imagine him trying to defend guys like Lebron, Durant, Kawhi and Giannis. :lol

His body is a strength at the PG position, it would be huge liability vs bonafide forwards.

SpursDynasty85
08-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Lol. This is literally played against a bunch of college kids at a local rec. He needs better fundamentals and to keep a tighter handle still. Also. This video was pretty old right? Like 2 months ago. Let's see it in the NBA first before getting too hyped up.

DAF86
08-14-2018, 11:24 AM
BTW, can't play the video. It just keeps buffering. :depressed

Portnoy1000
08-14-2018, 11:40 AM
I hope so, it was pretty hard seeing golden state completely ignore him at the 3 point line during the playoffs. Gotta earn that respect, make em pay!
That funny because out of everyone he had the highest 3pt % that series. Where was Danny, Patty and Pay that series?

Uncle Dennis
08-14-2018, 11:55 AM
1po4p/xqjed

Wet! If he Dejounte can shoot, watch out :wow
Can’t wait till Kawhi locks his ass out.

KDKSpurs24
08-14-2018, 12:25 PM
He didn’t take many but he shot 66.7% from the 3 point line that series. He’ll let them fly this upcoming season.

itzsoweezee
08-14-2018, 01:00 PM

Agreed. And with Gay playing small ball 4, that could be a legit lineup.

Let's hope reality and hope are not too far apart in this instance.

FkLA
08-14-2018, 01:07 PM
There's an official instagram baller thread for stuff like this, tbh.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-14-2018, 03:26 PM
That gym has a high school three point line. He should be dropping pull-up threes from there like it ain't no thang.

I look like Ray Allen from the high school 3 point line.

I was pretty excited about your post until I played the link.

BD24
08-14-2018, 04:33 PM
That gym has a high school three point line. He should be dropping pull-up threes from there like it ain't no thang.

That is fair, but on most of them it appears he is about a foot behind the line. Either way still a significant improvement from last year .

Dre_7
08-14-2018, 04:41 PM
Can’t wait till Kawhi locks his ass out.

OMG Uncle Dennis! This might be the best ST member ever :lol :lol

YGWHI
08-14-2018, 05:10 PM
When people say "he does this just against kids blah blah..." They should remember that DJ made 3-4 3's in game 4 against the Warriors. It's not like he can't shoot at all.

Maybe this offseason work gives him the confidence he needs to shoot consistently. Can't wait to see his improvements this year.

dabom
08-14-2018, 05:13 PM
OMG Uncle Dennis! This might be the best ST member ever :lol :lol

Thegreatfaggot. :lol

tonight...you
08-14-2018, 05:14 PM

Pretty impressive to look like Ray Allen from anywhere bud! Props.

J_Paco
08-14-2018, 06:27 PM
He's long enough to play the 3...6'10" reach. And clearly quick enough.

Really the benefit of doing that would be to have 3 guards on the court at the same time. Could create a few mismatches.

He's like 195 lbs. which is way, way too small to guard LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis, Durant or any other talented SF's.

It is a beyond stupid idea especially when DeRozan is better suited to log minutes at the 3.

TimmyBuckets
08-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Murray can't defend 3's, c'mon now. Imagine him trying to defend guys like Lebron, Durant, Kawhi and Giannis. :lol

His body is a strength at the PG position, it would be huge liability vs bonafide forwards.

Not consistently, but he can't be exploited as much on switches cuz he's so long and becoming more and more disciplined. He'll be fine for short periods of time. Still don't think he should be played at the 3. The 1 is his position. He needs to improve that dribble though. Jeez its bad.

phxspurfan
08-14-2018, 07:10 PM
Shot looks a little slow, may get blocked against better/longer competition. But nice to see him trying, vs. guys like Green who never seemed to try to get better at basic skills like dribbling. We'll see how he does when he's not in a mixtape

james evans
08-14-2018, 09:06 PM
His shot form reminds me of Kobe's actually.
boy you better stop smoking that shit.

TimmyBuckets
08-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Shot looks a little slow, may get blocked against better/longer competition. But nice to see him trying, vs. guys like Green who never seemed to try to get better at basic skills like dribbling. We'll see how he does when he's not in a mixtape

If teams start guarding him at the 3, space will open up. That's already an accomplishment.

cutewizard
08-16-2018, 09:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5heNj1r71D8

cutewizard
08-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Aha!!!!!!

:lma

cutewizard
08-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Hope he can be a kind of a point forward so that White can be our starting court general at point guard

SpursDynasty85
08-16-2018, 09:56 AM
If that translates to game, on top off his lockdown skills, the likes of Curry will be playing 48 minutes and should alter their game crazy. But I still want DJ to got hard to the hole. His dribble is too high. Patrick Beverly can pick thst. He needs to hug that ball to his body, lower his shoulder and go strong inside. But hitting those outside shots should open up his lane, but needs to develop that explosiveness to the hole. I’m a Spurs fan, so I want him to develop as much. I think we have a very solid young core, potential championship caliber tbh

Totally with you. It's hard not to see his potential and get excited but his whole game needs a lot of work. Your right he needs more fundamental attacking mentality. He tends to dance with the ball too much. One positive sign with his lack of offense is that he didn't seem to force much of his offense accept maybe a ridiculous floater every now and then so he still is playing responsibly just has not developed his offensive game just yet.

Fireball
08-16-2018, 09:58 AM
I hope his finishing at the rim improves ... I remember Russell Westbrook was struggling with that early in his career so there is hope

cutewizard
08-16-2018, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZEGrhHfVg4

John B
08-16-2018, 12:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZEGrhHfVg4
How old are these videos? He needs to build upper body strength and go strong to the hoops. His moves seem to shy off contact and settle for jump shots and floaters. His ballhandling is still iffy, too high and soft. Pops had Kawhi watch a lot of Kobe tapes. I hate the fakers but DJ can learn a lot from Kobe, explosiveness, how he reads defense, posting smaller guards, dishing to open fisher when double-teamed and his tenacity. We got Manu, but Manu’s skills are harder to learn, unorthodox off balance moves harder to learn with DJ’s ball handling skills, but that tenacity win now attitude, to rally the team every possession. DJ has the athleticism and good attitude to be great, but requires a lot of solid work on fundamentals, no fancy moves, just overpowering explosiveness and move smaller guards like Curry, CP3 even Russell. 20 more pounds of muscles

TimmyBuckets
08-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Hope he can be a kind of a point forward so that White can be our starting court general at point guard

Dejounte? He's a PG. Too small for a point forward. Also doesn't even have the IQ/passing ability of a PG, let alone the height/strength of a forward. This quote made me miss Diaw. Love that guy.

SpursDynasty85
08-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Dejounte? He's a PG. Too small for a point forward. Also doesn't even have the IQ/passing ability of a PG, let alone the height/strength of a forward. This quote made me miss Diaw. Love that guy.

Well at 21 he is obviously a work in progress. This year he is not going to be a dynamic playmaking pg. He just needs discipline to run a system. He has playmakers around him in DeRozan and White now. Just needs to pick his spots and his ball IQ will continue to develop along with his body.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous to call him a point forward but in 4 years I could easily see a line up of Murray, White, Walker in the back court (3 guard-small ball line up with 3 6'5" guys all switching on d and taking turns handling the ball). Positionless basketball in the backcourt. Poeltl in the front court with hopefully a dynamic pf we pick up via draft or free agency by then.

TimmyBuckets
08-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Well at 21 he is obviously a work in progress. This year he is not going to be a dynamic playmaking pg. He just needs discipline to run a system. He has playmakers around him in DeRozan and White now. Just needs to pick his spots and his ball IQ will continue to develop along with his body.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous to call him a point forward but in 4 years I could easily see a line up of Murray, White, Walker in the back court (3 guard-small ball line up with 3 6'5" guys all switching on d and taking turns handling the ball). Positionless basketball in the backcourt. Poeltl in the front court with hopefully a dynamic pf we pick up via draft or free agency by then.

White is unproven in terms of anything in the NBA, let alone a playmaker, even with his great g/summer league performances. That 3-guard line-up is pretty small. Even though Lonnie has a 6'10 wingspan, unless he's Danny on D, won't make a great SF, but I do agree that if all 3 are much improved, that would be a pretty good backcourt. Murray's height at the PG will counteract Lonnie's smaller size at the SF. I like the thought of all 3 on the court. It would be great if Murray became a good facilitator, White a great playmaker and shooter (NBA proven), and Lonnie a very disciplined (Green-esque) defender. Add in a very mobile PF and that would be amazing. You got me excited now lol

SpursDynasty85
08-16-2018, 01:50 PM
White is unproven in terms of anything in the NBA, let alone a playmaker, even with his great g/summer league performances. That 3-guard line-up is pretty small. Even though Lonnie has a 6'10 wingspan, unless he's Danny on D, won't make a great SF, but I do agree that if all 3 are much improved, that would be a pretty good backcourt. Murray's height at the PG will counteract Lonnie's smaller size at the SF. I like the thought of all 3 on the court. It would be great if Murray became a good facilitator, White a great playmaker and shooter (NBA proven), and Lonnie a very disciplined (Green-esque) defender. Add in a very mobile PF and that would be amazing. You got me excited now lol

Lol. Nice to hear we got some genuine excitement for our future. Yea that small ball line up would likely be situational but could work not just because of Lonnie's length but all 3 have impressive wingspans. DJ and Lonnie 6'10", Derrick White at 6'8". Rumors are the coaching staff really love Derrick White. Considering he is 24 now, I have no doubt he will get a chance to steal minutes this year from Mills and Belli.

Bballplaya
08-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Ball handling skills haven’t shown any improvement. Also, on jumpshots off the dribble and not squared up he tends to lose control of the ball and has to regather.

Nice to see him hitting threes tho.

KDKSpurs24
08-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Ball handling skills haven’t shown any improvement. Also, on jumpshots off the dribble and not squared up he tends to lose control of the ball and has to regather.

Nice to see him hitting threes tho.
The vid is kinda old. If he’s been working hard everyday since then I’m sure he’s improved some of those things.

TimmyBuckets
08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/8/15/17669244/what-expect-san-antonio-spurs-dejounte-murray

Awesome stuff from Passos yet again on Murray. Worth a read.