PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker didn't get enough credit

Joe Budd
08-14-2018, 12:44 AM
He was a Finals MVP. Made multiple all stars. And I noticed the last several years, so many people blamed Parker and called him Porky and Fatty. The guy was lightening quick and used to make me upset when he would easily score. He used to dominate Baron Davis. I think he had the highest percentage in the paint. Many centers couldn't stop him. I'm amazed at how he was often the scape goat. I think maybe he left because he felt too much pressure.

Stabula
08-14-2018, 12:57 AM
That's not why he left and I don't know if this is a troll post but it's 100% true Parker was unjustly maligned on this board. Third greatest Spur of all time and will probably always be the greatest PG the Spurs will ever have. His speed, handles, ability to score among the trees with floaters and spins, and fearlessness battling the bigs in the paint were legendary. We'll never see his like again.

Joe Budd
08-14-2018, 01:49 AM
That's not why he left and I don't know if this is a troll post but it's 100% true Parker was unjustly maligned on this board. Third greatest Spur of all time and will probably always be the greatest PG the Spurs will ever have. His speed, handles, ability to score among the trees with floaters and spins, and fearlessness battling the bigs in the paint were legendary. We'll never see his like again.

so if it's true, then it means I'm for real.

Spurs oman
08-14-2018, 01:51 AM
I think it's common here to not give enough credit. (With exception of the highly appreciated Timmy)
Not only Tony but all the great players that have given us joy down the years watching them.
The Parker tribute thread should be hundres of pages ... great games\moments\memories .
Same applies to Manu if he leaves

Heck I believe green and even bobo were under appreciated

Pavlov
08-14-2018, 02:03 AM
You can always tell the try hard alts.

Stabula
08-14-2018, 02:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPxEmxKf0Dc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPxEmxKf0Dc)

Stabula
08-14-2018, 02:46 AM
Such an epic sequence with the title on the line. Step-back 3 in LeBron's face, clutch steal, and tricky silky smooth spin to put us on top while nephew probably wasn't even aware it was the fourth quarter.

TheGreatYacht
08-14-2018, 04:06 AM
Agreed. Unfortunately for him he didn't speak Mexican.

duncan2k5
08-14-2018, 05:50 AM
Parker was great, but he had some toxic personality flaws that u wouldn't want in a teammate

Stabula
08-14-2018, 06:13 AM
Parker was great, but he had some toxic personality flaws that u wouldn't want in a teammate

Overblown. If he was so toxic he wouldn't have been such a close friend of Timmy (who everyone will agree is the embodiment of a class act), Manu, and Pop. Kawhi is the one with toxic personality flaws.

duncan2k5
08-14-2018, 06:18 AM
Overblown. If he was so toxic he wouldn't have been such a close friend of Timmy (who everyone will agree is the embodiment of a class act), Manu, and Pop. Kawhi is the one with toxic personality flaws.

His toxicity was overlooked because he never directed it to them... I'm sure they didn't like when he had sex with/sexted a teammate’s wife... Threw other teammates under the bus, downplayed successes of teammates, try to hijack the moment from other teammates, etc... But they put up with it because

1. Many of these traits came out after they've been friends and teammates for almost ten years

2. Sometimes we have friends that may be shitty to other people

Othyus Lalanne
08-14-2018, 06:27 AM
He was a Finals MVP. Made multiple all stars. And I noticed the last several years, so many people blamed Parker and called him Porky and Fatty. The guy was lightening quick and used to make me upset when he would easily score. He used to dominate Baron Davis. I think he had the highest percentage in the paint. Many centers couldn't stop him. I'm amazed at how he was often the scape goat. I think maybe he left because he felt too much pressure.

This is a shithole, being a saint would still get you treated like that.

NameLess Scrub
08-14-2018, 07:05 AM
So many new accounts. Wondering how many are not alts.

superbigtime
08-14-2018, 07:17 AM
I don't underappreciate him. Love Tony and his game. Top 20 PG and obviously our best. Prime TP was unstoppable and had respect of the league. A little arrogant. I like that.

Phenomanul
08-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Fatty was never a Parker moniker... that name was reserved for Patty Mills.

In these parts Parker haters "definitely" called him Porker, Enrique or Mr. Dribble Dribble.

Play Boban
08-14-2018, 08:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPxEmxKf0Dc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPxEmxKf0Dc)

6/23 that game. Great, he hit a few shots at the end. :lol

4/12 in game 7 too. He rolled over and handed that LOB to LABron. :lol

rastaspur
08-14-2018, 09:25 AM
He got the credit he deserved. He will be a hall of famer. What more can he ask for? Multiple rings and a hof career. He got his credit.

LaMarcus Bryant
08-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Taken away from him by choking, just like Tim's no-look shot in Shaq's fat stupid face in the 0.4 game.

ElNono
08-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Can we move this the NBA forum, tbh?

LaMarcus Bryant
08-14-2018, 09:35 AM

He was hurt in game 3, you know that. Was force-effing the Heat prior to being hurt.

ElNono
08-14-2018, 09:36 AM
He was hurt in game 3, you know that. Was force-effing the Heat prior to being hurt.

Kobe was also always hurt when he didn't play well... or so his publicist said, tbh...

Coach X
08-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Forums and public opinion, in general, tend to not tolerate decrease on play level on veteran players. Spurstalk isn't different.

Some players take the end of his career with grace and others take more time to understand this. Sometimes it's hard to recognize when this is starting to happen. Probably this gave Parker a few haters here and there but it doesn't change his career.

One can have an opinion about Parker (mine is not exactly great) but respect for his accomplishments is undeniable. Now Parker is still active so agree with moving this to NBA forum. Tony will retire and then there will be time enough and a ceremony to remember all the good he made for the franchise.

TimmyBuckets
08-14-2018, 10:48 AM

There's a ton of people on here with a lot of differing opinions. There's bound to be a few haters. Most just jump on the bashing bandwagon too, just to for attention or to troll. Parker's a top 5 Spur, guaranteed, and the greatest PG Spurs have ever had. Anyone with any spec of logic knows that.

TheGreatYacht
08-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Kobe was also always hurt when he didn't play well... or so his publicist said, tbh...
Was Ginose hurt that series as well? :lmao

Portnoy1000
08-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Parker is the Spurs best PG for sure. My issue with him was his court vision. For all his other abilities that is something that he never became elite at. He had the mid range jumper , the ability to finish etc. But running fast breaks and not always seeing open teammates never set right with me. Especially considering my favorite player is John Stockton, and I grew up watching the spurs with Avery. I would watch other top point guards during TPs hey day and wouldn't see their teammates jump up and down that there open. It was most apparent when Jefferson got here. RJ was used to getting lobs etc.....but when he got here I remember Parker trying to adjust his one man break to a more magic/Stockton break with guys running with him. To his credit he tried but it was
uncomfortable. Parker deserves ALL the respect/praise for playing through injury and being loyal and being a leader by word and by example. When he comes to town he better get a standing ovation especially when you consider the nonsense that we dealt with the past season.

Play Boban
08-14-2018, 11:59 AM
It’s funny how Porker apologists always claim he was hurt when he didn’t play well. Very credible. :lol

Play Boban
08-14-2018, 12:00 PM
At least Manure showed up in game 7 tbh.

Holden_Caulfield
08-14-2018, 12:03 PM
although duncan was probably our most complete player from 2007-2014, parker was arguably our best player from that span.

Phenomanul
08-14-2018, 02:04 PM
although duncan was probably our most complete player from 2007-2014, parker was arguably our best player from that span.

I don't know... the 2007-2008 season was one of Manu's best... Tony took the reigns afterward.

keithington1
08-14-2018, 02:26 PM
Parker was a straight beast. Finished in the paint better than Kyrie Irving does now. He was just overpaid the last three years though. I'll never forget his game, but it was his time to go. Not the greatest teammate but a top 100 all time player no doubt. The Big 3 will live on forever.

daslicer
08-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Parker is the Spurs best PG for sure. My issue with him was his court vision. For all his other abilities that is something that he never became elite at. He had the mid range jumper , the ability to finish etc. But running fast breaks and not always seeing open teammates never set right with me. Especially considering my favorite player is John Stockton, and I grew up watching the spurs with Avery. I would watch other top point guards during TPs hey day and wouldn't see their teammates jump up and down that there open. It was most apparent when Jefferson got here. RJ was used to getting lobs etc.....but when he got here I remember Parker trying to adjust his one man break to a more magic/Stockton break with guys running with him. To his credit he tried but it was
uncomfortable. Parker deserves ALL the respect/praise for playing through injury and being loyal and being a leader by word and by example. When he comes to town he better get a standing ovation especially when you consider the nonsense that we dealt with the past season.

You gave a fair assessment of Parker. I feel Parker was one of the first of a new generation PG's who are actually undersized SG's playing out of position. If Parker came out today the perception of him would be a lot different since they are only a few true PG's in this league which are Rubio,CP3,Rondo.

BD24
08-14-2018, 06:15 PM
This has Pinoy Maurader written all over it tbh:lol

Stabula
08-14-2018, 07:07 PM

ElNono
08-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Manu was bad, tbh, but also goes to show the Spurs with a great Manu and a mediocre Parker can win a ring, but not the other way around...

These are the things we know...

Mr. Body
08-14-2018, 07:46 PM
The Parker haters on this board are both the stupidest and loudest. Just put them on ignore.

gambit1990
08-14-2018, 07:53 PM
it looked like tony went rogue to end regulation in game 6 of the 2013 nba finals.

manu was supposed to set a screen for tony and tony was supposed to advance the ball to timmy for wide open 3, a la against phoenix.

it even looks like pop motions to tim to get to his spot quicker so he could be in tony's view. tim was on cue but tony had no intention of passing the ball.

TheGreatYacht
08-14-2018, 08:08 PM
it looked like tony went rogue to end regulation in game 6 of the 2013 nba finals.

manu was supposed to set a screen for tony and tony was supposed to advance the ball to timmy for wide open 3, a la against phoenix.

it even looks like pop motions to tim to get to his spot quicker so he could be in tony's view. tim was on cue but tony had no intention of passing the ball.
Better to keep it than give it to the other team like certain others would have....

ElNono
08-14-2018, 08:13 PM
I love Tony Parker, tbh, and what he's done for the franchise. He's the 5th best Spurs ever, I think that's enough credit, IMO... I don't know where people get that he doesn't get enough credit...

barbacoataco
08-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Parker was a great player who really was a big part of the Spurs success. He was very durable considering the punishment he took driving to the basket. He played well in the playoffs against supposedly better PG’s like Steve Nash and Chris Paul.

He could drive to the basket and break down the defense with the best of them. And he had an incredible repertoire of finishes closes to the basket. His midrange jumper improved after being a liability earlier in his career. His defense was good during his prime years. It’s true he didn’t have great playmaking and court vision, but the Spurs offense didn’t work that way anyway. Another plus for Parker was his elite ball handling, a natural PG bringing the ball up the court.

I hate to compare Parker and Ginobili. But I would say, Parker was more durable and a workhouse, while Ginobili was like a high strung race horse that could dominate or flame out. Ginobili had a higher ceiling when in “God Mode”. But Parker could also dominate a game, and was a more reliable player night in and out. Ginobili had a knack for making big defensive plays at crucial moments of many games. They both hit many game winning shots, but I think Ginobili was more of a 4th quarter player.

The biggest think some young fans might not know is that Parker had phenomenal speed when he came into the league. He was almost always the fastest player on the court. That does something to the game that is always a good thing.

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2018, 09:02 PM
hate him from day1 especially during that lakers 3peat till 03/04, then the following years especially in the playoffs...wheres the spurs go 2-0 up then to lose the series cause the other team adjusted by putting bigger defender on him and he disappears....

this pos and turnboli wasted duncans prime yeas with the stupid decision making...especially on last play possessions to win the game...

james evans
08-14-2018, 09:04 PM

JakeCuenca
08-14-2018, 09:07 PM
From a value contribution Standpoint, Tony is the second best spur of all time.

Ofcourse there is such thing as Heart, fighting spirit etc. From that point maybe Manu is second best.

gambit1990
08-14-2018, 09:10 PM
tony was great when he was great. his FG% in the paint was very impressive when it was among the best in the league. legit top three mvp candidate one season.

people bring up his improved jumper but it's not like it even lasted from that point on.

he definitely achieved more than anyone but possibly himself thought that he could.

didn't wanna bring manu up since this is a tony thread but tony fans do a disservice comparing him to manu. even if you think tony's peak was better (it wasn't), manu played defense and late in 4th quarters with games on the line.

he held his own against cp3, nash... but give me cp3/manu/td over tony/griffin/deandre and nash/manu/td over tony/marion/stoudemire any day of the week.

Pound the rock
08-14-2018, 09:44 PM
I love Tony Parker, tbh, and what he's done for the franchise. He's the 5th best Spurs ever, I think that's enough credit, IMO... I don't know where people get that he doesn't get enough credit...
Just curious, who are the other 4 on your list?

TheGreatYacht
08-14-2018, 10:06 PM
Duncan
Kawhi
Robinson
Parker

everyone else

ElNono
08-14-2018, 10:59 PM
Just curious, who are the other 4 on your list?

Duncan
DRob
Manu
Gervin

Basically the only 4 Hall of Fame worthy Spurs, tbh...

Spurtacular
08-15-2018, 12:30 AM

Damn, you rate Speedy Claxton above Manu and D-Rob? Crazy.

tbdog
08-15-2018, 03:09 AM
One lost play that people don't give credit for was the defense he played on Richard Hamilton in game 5 on the finals. That last play, Bowen was on Billups and the Coach Brown went with Hamilton one on one with Parker. Hamilton is 6ft7 or something. That same game at the end of the regulation, Duncan's contest on Billups also is underappreciated. Parker is great. I'll miss him. I am getting old.

JPB
08-15-2018, 05:13 AM
Duncan
DRob
Manu
Gervin

Don't wonder after that why people think TP does't give enough credit here.

He's not only a surefire HOF but probably first ballot. Something every pundit, analyst, other team fan have aknoledged for years now, as big 3 was regularly referenced as "3 fututre Hofers".

Don't ask either people to give any credit to your takes after that. It is what it is.

Maybe just trolling, I don't know.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-15-2018, 10:22 AM
He and Manu are kind of equal in total team impact from my perspective. It's like arguing which Twix bar is better.

SpursDynasty85
08-15-2018, 10:40 AM

I wholeheartedly disagree. Parker usually always made the correct pass. He was never as ball dominant as most and especially the pgs you just referred to. He was more of a scoring pg but he rarely missed the right play. His uncanny ability to get in the paint cause many collapsed defenses which led to a series of passes. He was the master of the hockey assist. A ton of assists should be credited to him since he was the one that initiated the scoring plays with his ability to penetrate almost at will.

DMC
08-15-2018, 10:49 AM
He's not an interesting person. His interviews are almost always scripted and repetitive. He's known to dribble too long, freeze out anyone not named Tim Duncan and has that French "better than you" attitude that seems to filter through the scripted sessions. He was unstoppable as a scorer in his prime, but there were enough negatives about him to make even Spurs fans dislike him. He was the antithesis to the Spurs creed of self sacrifice for the good of the team, and as soon as the bench reared its head, off he went to another city.

DMC
08-15-2018, 10:51 AM
I wholeheartedly disagree. Parker usually always made the correct pass. He was never as ball dominant as most and especially the pgs you just referred to. He was more of a scoring pg but he rarely missed the right play. His uncanny ability to get in the paint cause many collapsed defenses which led to a series of passes. He was the master of the hockey assist. A ton of assists should be credited to him since he was the one that initiated the scoring plays with his ability to penetrate almost at will.
There's no such thing as "usually always". Parker was notorious for looking off open shooters especially on the break.

RD2191
08-15-2018, 10:57 AM
He's not an interesting person. His interviews are almost always scripted and repetitive. He's known to dribble too long, freeze out anyone not named Tim Duncan and has that French "better than you" attitude that seems to filter through the scripted sessions. He was unstoppable as a scorer in his prime, but there were enough negatives about him to make even Spurs fans dislike him. He was the antithesis to the Spurs creed of self sacrifice for the good of the team, and as soon as the bench reared its head, off he went to another city.

Yeah, Parker always came off as a smug douche tbh

Clipper Nation
08-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Speedy, Beno, Boobie, and MVPatty didn't get enough credit, tbh.

SpursDynasty85
08-15-2018, 11:14 AM
There's no such thing as "usually always". Parker was notorious for looking off open shooters especially on the break.

Haha. Ok grammar master. It is still pretty common to go for a layup on a fast break vs a jump shot. Tony shot a pretty high clip in the paint and was justified. Still hating on Tony our hof late first round pg I see.

DMC
08-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Haha. Ok grammar master. It is still pretty common to go for a layup on a fast break vs a jump shot. Tony shot a pretty high clip in the paint and was justified. Still hating on Tony our hof late first round pg I see.

Tony would ignore Kawhi who was out on the break, while Tony would go 1 on 3 and flop. You don't ignore Kawhi on the break. Tony was a fagguette

Pavlov
08-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Duncan
DRob
Manu
Gervin

Basically the only 4 Hall of Fame worthy Spurs, tbh...lol Parker is a lock for the HOF.

SpursDynasty85
08-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Tony would ignore Kawhi who was out on the break, while Tony would go 1 on 3 and flop. You don't ignore Kawhi on the break. Tony was a fagguette

I doubt he missed Kawhi for a layup or dunk on a fast break. Kawhi eventually got handed over the keys and became a superstar, what's your point? No one predicted how good he could become.

SpurPadre
08-15-2018, 11:37 AM
That's not why he left and I don't know if this is a troll post but it's 100% true Parker was unjustly maligned on this board. Fourth greatest Spur of all time and will probably always be the greatest PG the Spurs will ever have. His speed, handles, ability to score among the trees with floaters and spins, and fearlessness battling the bigs in the paint were legendary. We'll never see his like again.

FIFY

TheGreatYacht
08-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Only fagguette here is you, Cheeto puff fingers.

SpurPadre
08-15-2018, 11:42 AM
I love TP, the 4th greatest Spur of all time and a HOF, but these are the reasons why he's been maligned by Spurs fans:

1) Fucked a teammate's wife
2) "Why are they leaving Danny open?" comment
3) "Our title window has closed" comment
4) Speedy Claxton bailing his ass out in '03
5) Not passing the fucking ball to Manu in his prime

I'm sure I'm missing others but those 5 stick in my mind.

TheGreatYacht
08-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Top 5 reasons Tony is hated:

1. Doesn't speak mexican
2. Superior stats and more accomplished than Ginose
3. Alpha ladies men get hated on by beta neckbeard nerds (ala Ronaldo)
4. Left Eva before she bloated up like your usual Latina
5. 1 finals MVP > none

daslicer
08-15-2018, 11:57 AM
I love TP, the 4th greatest Spur of all time and a HOF, but these are the reasons why he's been maligned by Spurs fans:

Dumbest reason out of the 5. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are to believe the Heat were going to leave Danny Green open in an elimination game after what had happened the previous several games. It was not going to happen regardless of what Parker said.

Pavlov
08-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Dumbest reason out of the 5. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are to believe the Heat were going to leave Danny Green open in an elimination game after what had happened the previous several games. It was not going to happen regardless of what Parker said.:lmao Yeah, the Heat never watched any game tapes to plan for future games; they only watched opposing player interviews.

daslicer
08-15-2018, 12:06 PM
:lmao Yeah, the Heat never watched any game tapes to plan for future games; they only watched opposing player interviews.

Even dumber when you factor in Lebron is the coach of the Heat. No way in hell was Lebron's pride going to allow him to lose to Danny Green.

SpurPadre
08-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Dumbest reason out of the 5. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are to believe the Heat were going to leave Danny Green open in an elimination game after what had happened the previous several games. It was not going to happen regardless of what Parker said.

But why the fuck do you say it?! It's dumb to think the reason why people were pissed with that comment is because we thought that's what made the Heat change their game plan. It's just that as your teammate, you want to encourage their play not question their success.

Pavlov
08-15-2018, 12:17 PM
But why the fuck do you say it?! It's dumb to think the reason why people were pissed with that comment is because we thought that's what made the Heat change their game plan. It's just that as your teammate, you want to encourage their play not question their success.Yeah, he said Danny sucked and was just lucky they were leaving him open.

Come on now....

TheGreatYacht
08-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Don't argue with Salvadoreans about MVParker, sons.

daslicer
08-15-2018, 12:39 PM
But why the fuck do you say it?! It's dumb to think the reason why people were pissed with that comment is because we thought that's what made the Heat change their game plan. It's just that as your teammate, you want to encourage their play not question their success.

Moving the goal post. The majority of people including yourself did actually believe the heat changed their game plan simply because of Parker's comments. Parker actually did say Green was playing great so I don't know what the fuck you mean by him not encouraging Green's great play.

SASdynasty!
08-15-2018, 12:44 PM
At least Manure showed up in game 7 tbh.
There wouldn’t have been a Game 7 if he didn’t score 9 points with 8 turnovers in Game 6. I think that was kind of the point.

SASdynasty!
08-15-2018, 12:47 PM
One of the few PGs to win FMVP and the last one to do it. Most points in the playoffs for a PG all-time.

Joe Budd
08-15-2018, 12:50 PM
One of the few PGs to win FMVP and the last one to do it. Most points in the playoffs for a PG all-time.

Is Parker the best point guard ever at finishing in the paint? 🎨 Was he the fastest ever?

daslicer
08-15-2018, 12:55 PM

TBH I would say you have legit qualms when it comes to reason 1,3. I can't defend Parker when it comes to those reasons considering he was stupid in both of those situations. Obviously I told you why reason 2 was retarded. Reason 4 is also stupid because it diminishes Parker's value. No way in hell do the Spurs win in '03 if Claxton is the starting PG and Parker does not exist. There is a reason why Claxton was a career backup. Backup's are not equipped to be starters long term, as Mills proved this year. Reason 5 is very debatable to me. Manu may not have gotten a lot of touches during the regular season but he always did come playoff time. At times Manu actually scored more than Parker during playoff series and runs ala '05.

DAF86

Manu was the Spurs' leading MVP vote getter in three of those years: '08, '10 and '11. Parker was the Spurs best player in '12 and '13.

SpursDynasty85

Wasn't questioning their success at all. Some people don't understand context. Reporters were surprised and asking how Danny Green is lighting it up and Tony was complimenting Danny's shooting. It may slightly be a cultural thing but I fully took it as a compliment.

TimmyBuckets
08-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Is Parker the best point guard ever at finishing in the paint?  Was he the fastest ever?

imho, he was the best finisher in the paint. idk if he was the fastest, but his speed coupled with his craftiness, made him the best inside.

daslicer
08-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Is Parker the best point guard ever at finishing in the paint? 🎨 Was he the fastest ever?

i would say in my lifetime Parker and Kevin Johnson are the fastest. It's hard to say whose quicker out of the 2. Both were also great finishers in the paint but I'll give Parker the edge since he had great footwork compared to Kevin.

SpurPadre
08-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Don't argue with Salvadoreans about MVParker, sons.

THIS, tbh.

Since89
08-15-2018, 02:29 PM
He is the fourth greatest Spurs player.
Tim

DROB

Manu
Parker

TimmyBuckets
08-15-2018, 02:29 PM
He is the fourth greatest Spurs player.
Tim

DROB

Manu
Parker

Gervin? Averaged 33 at one point and 25 for his career. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gervige01.html

Chucho
08-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Crazy when you consider that our Big Three were all Franchise Players at one point to the Spurs Organization.

Stabula
08-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Yeah blows my mind when people mention that leaving Danny open comment. Do these people really think they saw Parker's post game interview and went "Ohh fuck that's what we're doing wrong. Good thing Parker clued us into playing defense on a prolific sharpshooter!"

Joe Budd
08-15-2018, 10:59 PM
i would say in my lifetime Parker and Kevin Johnson are the fastest. It's hard to say whose quicker out of the 2. Both were also great finishers in the paint but I'll give Parker the edge since he had great footwork compared to Kevin.

Do you think that Parker in his prime is faster than Westbrook?

daslicer
08-15-2018, 11:31 PM
Do you think that Parker in his prime is faster than Westbrook?

Yes he was definitely faster than Westbrook. In the 2012 WCF a young Westbrook had trouble staying in front of Parker that the Thunder switched Thabo Sefolosha on Parker after game 2 for the rest of the series.

Go to 1:53 in this clip to get a good idea of how fast Tony Parker used to be. I'll never forget this play from his rookie year in which he went the full distance of the court and Kobe-Fisher-Fox are all in front of him by several feet and he still manages to out run all of them and score the layup.

LQplBlIsZ3o

DMC
08-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Only fagguette here is you, Cheeto puff fingers.

:cry "muh Tony"

DMC
08-16-2018, 12:02 AM
I doubt he missed Kawhi for a layup or dunk on a fast break. Kawhi eventually got handed over the keys and became a superstar, what's your point? No one predicted how good he could become.

When I had good games, when I was playing well, I felt like Tony was the guy to really go against me, to go behind my back to Pop to play (Manu) Ginobili, to play other guys because he wanted the credit.

"I'm going to give you a perfect example. We was up 2-0 against the Thunder, my last year with the Spurs in (2012). They came back and won three games straight. But game six in OKC, I was having a hell of a game. I had six threes. Me and Kawhi (Leonard) was playing well.

"At the end of the game, when my six threes and other guys shots got us back in the game, Tony came in the game and tried to save the day and stopped playing team ball. We ended up losing that series. I kind of felt like that while he was on the sidelines, he was over there saying sneaky stuff to players and the coaches about getting back in the game so he can try to get his own personal achievements in the game and that's why we lost.

"Pop wouldn't say that. But I remember right after the game, me, Kawhi and Tim (Duncan) were sitting down after we lost, he came over there and said 'I should have rode you guys, You all did everything you could.' That's his way of saying I should not have put Tony in the game." -Jax

His own teammate. But let's ask you.

TimmyBuckets
08-16-2018, 12:36 AM
-Jax.

Nuff said lol

eric365
08-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Manu was the Spurs' leading MVP vote getter in three of those years: '08, '10 and '11. Parker was the Spurs best player in '12 and '13.

Funny how MVP votes matters for this argument but you'll diminish if if I use it to say that Tony had a way better peak, more years as elite

MVP Award Shares for Tony :
2005-06 NBA 0.007 (9)
2006-07 NBA 0.001 (15)
2008-09 NBA 0.007 (8)
2010-11 NBA 0.002 (12)
2011-12 NBA 0.274 (5)
2012-13 NBA 0.071 (6)
2013-14 NBA 0.017 (12)

MVP Award Shares for Manu :
2007-08 NBA 0.007 (10)
2009-10 NBA 0.002 (11)
2010-11 NBA 0.017 (8)

It just show how fans use any stats / award the way it fits their agenda

SpursDynasty85
08-16-2018, 09:53 AM
When I had good games, when I was playing well, I felt like Tony was the guy to really go against me, to go behind my back to Pop to play (Manu) Ginobili, to play other guys because he wanted the credit.

"I'm going to give you a perfect example. We was up 2-0 against the Thunder, my last year with the Spurs in (2012). They came back and won three games straight. But game six in OKC, I was having a hell of a game. I had six threes. Me and Kawhi (Leonard) was playing well.

"At the end of the game, when my six threes and other guys shots got us back in the game, Tony came in the game and tried to save the day and stopped playing team ball. We ended up losing that series. I kind of felt like that while he was on the sidelines, he was over there saying sneaky stuff to players and the coaches about getting back in the game so he can try to get his own personal achievements in the game and that's why we lost.

"Pop wouldn't say that. But I remember right after the game, me, Kawhi and Tim (Duncan) were sitting down after we lost, he came over there and said 'I should have rode you guys, You all did everything you could.' That's his way of saying I should not have put Tony in the game." -Jax

Never said he was a perfect player but your using the biggest hypocrite in the game, the guy who literally got kicked off the team, talks crap at the same time says he respects the Spurs.

Ok if we are going to use him, everyone knows Pop has full autonomy in how his team plays. If Tony dominates the ball it's because he wanted it that way. Tony knows his role well and he tried to perform it. Your going to cite one instance ok f when Tony could've played more team ball vs the other countless times he carried or had a major role in the most winner franchise in 20 years? Ok. It's set in stone, you're a hater. NEXT!

DAF86
08-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Funny how MVP votes matters for this argument but you'll diminish if if I use it to say that Tony had a way better peak, more years as elite

MVP Award Shares for Tony :
2005-06 NBA 0.007 (9)
2006-07 NBA 0.001 (15)
2008-09 NBA 0.007 (8)
2010-11 NBA 0.002 (12)
2011-12 NBA 0.274 (5)
2012-13 NBA 0.071 (6)
2013-14 NBA 0.017 (12)

MVP Award Shares for Manu :
2007-08 NBA 0.007 (10)
2009-10 NBA 0.002 (11)
2010-11 NBA 0.017 (8)

It just show how fans use any stats / award the way it fits their agenda

Why the fuck do you assume I would do that? :lol You do know that I said that Tony is ahead of Manu in the Spurs all-time list, right? Maybe you should be a little less prejudiced, tbh.

I just pointed that out because the guy I quoted said that Tony was the Spurs best player from 2007 to 2014, and that's obviously not true; and a good way to prove that is to show that other Spurs players finished ahead of him on the MVP voting during that time frame.

TheGreatYacht
08-16-2018, 01:45 PM
DAF86 is a good dude despite being Argie tbh

Stabula
08-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Tony is the third best Spur all time Manu is fourth

TimmyBuckets
08-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Gervin?

John B
08-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Wow did you just put The Iceman to 5th? :lmao:lmao

ElNono
08-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Don't wonder after that why people think TP does't give enough credit here.

He's not only a surefire HOF but probably first ballot. Something every pundit, analyst, other team fan have aknoledged for years now, as big 3 was regularly referenced as "3 fututre Hofers".

Don't ask either people to give any credit to your takes after that. It is what it is.

Maybe just trolling, I don't know.

You sound upset. Tell me more.

Stabula
08-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Wow did you just put The Iceman to 5th? :lmao:lmao

Yes

ElNono
08-16-2018, 08:47 PM

Well put, tbh. The biggest knock is probably that he had the biggest ego out there, which is not a terrible knock on a league full of selfish player, but on a team with selfless leaders, he stuck out like a sore thumb, tbh...

SASdynasty!
08-17-2018, 07:32 AM

So let me get this straight:

The guy who averaged 1.3 APG in that series is telling the guy who averaged 6.3 that he’s not a team player? Cool.

And in the G6 Jackson is talking about, Parker had 12 assists. Jackson had 1. Lol.

JPB
08-17-2018, 09:55 AM
You sound upset. Tell me more.

Are there really people in 2018 who are still resorting to the hilarious beta "upset" move when exposed and nothing to answer ?
This is forum, smart boy. If you don't want people to answer... don't post. It will avoid you a lot of embarassment.

Let me try...

Duncan
DRob
Manu
Gervin

You sound mad, tell me more.

oh wow, so this is how it feels to hide in your safe space.

Seventyniner
08-17-2018, 10:00 AM

The guy who averaged 1.3 APG in that series is telling the guy who averaged 6.3 that he’s not a team player? Cool.

And in the G6 Jackson is talking about, Parker had 12 assists. Jackson had 1. Lol.

....and it's Stephen Jackson we're talking about. Not exactly the most unbiased of sources.

TimmyBuckets
08-17-2018, 10:36 AM
....and it's Stephen Jackson we're talking about. Not exactly the most unbiased of sources.

He's a bum.

DMC
08-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Basically supports his point. Cant score without the ball.

DMC
08-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Also, asst argument for selfish player.. RW says hi

eric365
08-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Why the fuck do you assume I would do that? :lol You do know that I said that Tony is ahead of Manu in the Spurs all-time list, right? Maybe you should be a little less prejudiced, tbh.

I just pointed that out because the guy I quoted said that Tony was the Spurs best player from 2007 to 2014, and that's obviously not true; and a good way to prove that is to show that other Spurs players finished ahead of him on the MVP voting during that time frame.

I assumed it just because you arean argie. My bad.

I still think a lot fan choose the stats / awards they argue with based on their agenda

Pauleta14
08-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Well put, tbh. The biggest knock is probably that he had the biggest ego out there, which is not a terrible knock on a league full of selfish player, but on a team with selfless leaders, he stuck out like a sore thumb, tbh...

Yeah right, he has such an ego that he never even tried to test the market, such an ego that he didn't have any issue not being the guy when he could, such an ego that he accepted less money to remain a Spur, etc

Where does the hate come tbh??

I'm not even a fan of the guy, but those critics aren't fair. Actually all the fact show the contrary of what you state...

ElNono
08-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Are there really people in 2018 who are still resorting to the hilarious beta "upset" move when exposed and nothing to answer ?
This is forum, smart boy. If you don't want people to answer... don't post. It will avoid you a lot of embarassment.

This is what I'm talking about. Let the fury out, tbh, it's good for you...

Let me try...

You sound mad, tell me more.

oh wow, so this is how it feels to hide in your safe space.

:lol did you just call this a beta move, and then proceeded to try to pull it yourself?

protip: you forgot to call me a snowflake to complete the fake online tough guy trifecta, tbh (beta, safe space, snowflake).

You should talk to your boy Brazil or TGY here, tbh, they can give you some pointers on how not to fall for this stuff, or just take it with a laugh :lol

ElNono
08-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Yeah right, he has such an ego that he never even tried to test the market, such an ego that he didn't have any issue not being the guy when he could, such an ego that he accepted less money to remain a Spur, etc

here does the hate come tbh??

I'm not even a fan of the guy, but those critics aren't fair. Actually all the fact show the contrary of what you state...

DMC put it best, once the perma-bench reared its ugly head, this self-proclaimed Spur for life took off. What's that if not ego? He didn't go to Charlotte to chase a ring...

I didn't even shat on him for that, just pointed it out as one of his traits, and even stated it's not a huge knock.

Just not sure where this idea that he didn't get enough credit comes from. I think everyone here is pretty much in agreement that he's a top 5 Spur all time (thousands of players suited up for this accomplished franchise), he's going to be part of the exclusive jersey retirement group... what else Parker needs? A statue watching Kerr bail him out against Dallas in '03 outside the AT&T Center?

spurraider21
08-17-2018, 01:41 PM
i remember those sportvu cameras would also tag parker as the fastest guy on the court... for a few years iirc

DMC
08-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Versus a bunch of posters who don't know Tony at all and never played a single minute with him.

Brazil
08-17-2018, 04:00 PM
:lol

SASdynasty!
08-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Versus a bunch of posters who don't know Tony at all and never played a single minute with him.
A guy who played a few years with Tony versus a few who played with him for 15 years.

DMC
08-17-2018, 09:23 PM
A guy who played a few years with Tony versus a few who played with him for 15 years.

Post all the quotes from those who played 15 years with him about what a great guy he is.