PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Forecast: Spurs Have 3% Chance of Signing Jimmy Butler or Klay Thompson

Man Mountain
08-17-2018, 03:23 PM
I saw some Jimmy Butler rumors but never heard anything about Klay Thompson to Spurs. Give Klay the max to break up the Warriors? Hell yes!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24372973/nba-2019-free-agent-predictions-espn-summer-forecast

TimmyBuckets
08-17-2018, 03:27 PM
I don't think we're getting any free agents any time soon.

daslicer
08-17-2018, 03:51 PM
I don't think we're getting any free agents any time soon.

We'll get free agents just not all-stars that are in their prime. Anyways that's always been the case even during the Duncan era. LMA was the only exception to the norm.

rogcl1
08-17-2018, 03:56 PM
We'll get free agents just not all-stars that are in their prime. Anyways that's always been the case even during the Duncan era. LMA was the only exception to the norm.

LMA was the only time there was cap room other than mid level exception.

daslicer
08-17-2018, 04:06 PM
LMA was the only time there was cap room other than mid level exception.

That's not true. Spurs had tons of cap room in the summer of '03 and struck out on Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'neal. Keep in mind the Spurs were fresh off of a championship and still could not get any of the top FA's in '03 and had to settle for Rasho and Horry.

rogcl1
08-17-2018, 04:37 PM
I stand corrected.One year out of how many? It's a good thing we did not get either of those guys. O'neal was injury plagued and Kidd probably stunts Parker's growth or causes him to leave. I don't strongly disagree with your premise but there is a small sample size to judge from. Horry served a very useful role .

daslicer
08-17-2018, 04:39 PM
I stand corrected.One year out of how many? It's a good thing we did not get either of those guys. O'neal was injury plagued and Kidd probably stunts Parker's growth or causes him to leave. I don't strongly disagree with your premise but there is a small sample size to judge from. Horry served a very useful role .

Small market teams tend not to get all-stars through FA. Look at OKC,Jazz,Pacers,Hornets they have never gotten all-star FA's.

rogcl1
08-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Or course that's the tendency. The CBA and salary structure has certainly impacted movement also. I do believe that the right city with the right players and respected coach and management and cap room can occasionally snag a stray . But not the norm. Thanks for posting. I seldom post, but a fan since day 1 in 1973 and have enjoyed the resurgence of good dialog in recent weeks.

daslicer
08-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Or course that's the tendency. The CBA and salary structure has certainly impacted movement also. I do believe that the right city with the right players and respected coach and management and cap room can occasionally snag a stray . But not the norm. Thanks for posting. I seldom post, but a fan since day 1 in 1973 and have enjoyed the resurgence of good dialog in recent weeks.

You fandom is nearly twice as long as mine. I became a fan in the spring of '94. I was a kid back then and watched David Robinson embarrass Shaq on an NBC TV game and I was hooked.

tonight...you
08-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Hope you post more!

Coach X
08-17-2018, 05:25 PM
IMO the team needs a franchise player, a "head of the snake", a top dog player. This is more about character and personality than about stats.

I consider Aldridge an excellent #2 player. Let's see how DeRozan fits in the team but, personality wise, he hasn't looked like a #1 player either.
Klay Thompson is a fantastic player but another #2 ceiling player. Butler is different to me, I'm not sure he can be the leader that a championship team needs, but I'd leave that door open until he's been proven in playoffs in a good team in a good season.

rogcl1
08-17-2018, 05:26 PM
You fandom is nearly twice as long as mine. I became a fan in the spring of '94. I was a kid back then and watched David Robinson embarrass Shaq on an NBC TV game and I was hooked.

Good for you. You missed the days of Alfredrick Hughes,Walter Berry and numerous others. Not the best of times.

tonight...you
08-17-2018, 05:29 PM
IMO the team needs a franchise player, a "head of the snake", a top dog player. This is more about character and personality than about stats.

I consider Aldridge an excellent #2 player. Let's see how DeRozan fits in the team but, personality wise, he hasn't looked like a #1 player either.
Klay Thompson is a fantastic player but another #2 ceiling player. Butler is different to me, I'm not sure he can be the leader that a championship team needs, but I'd leave that door open until he's been proven in playoffs in a good team in a good season.

The only one with the Alpha personality is Dejounte, currently.
Let's hope his offensive play gains enough cred where he can simply run the team.

Of course... Avery once led this team to a championship... emotionally.

rogcl1
08-17-2018, 05:35 PM

Here is a flashback. We played against Shaq when he was at at Cole back in my coaching days and after the game one of the other coaches on the staff made a comment that he didn't understand the hype about him. I laughed. At that time Shaq was lean and looked like a tall, lean, racehorse. Off to the pool hall.

tonight...you
08-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Here is a flashback. We played against Shaq when he was at at Cole back in my coaching days and after the game one of the other coaches on the staff made a comment that he didn't understand the hype about him. I laughed. At that time Shaq was lean and looked like a tall, lean, racehorse. Off to the pool hall.
I remember going to a game when he was with Orlando. About the time everyone was saying he was like 3% body fat and I had seats behind the McCombs at the Alamodome.
I got to shake hands with some Spurs and stood right next to Shaq.
Dear... Sweet... Jesus...
A giant of a man and so lithe and svelte.
He truly was the MDE for a hot minute.

Coach X
08-17-2018, 06:02 PM
The only one with the Alpha personality is Dejounte, currently.
Let's hope his offensive play gains enough cred where he can simply run the team.

Of course... Avery once led this team to a championship... emotionally.
Agree. And that's the main reason that makes me consider DeJounte a point guard. And I believe Pop thinks this too.

Looney Walker has another interesting personality to me. He might be a leader as well.

tonight...you
08-17-2018, 06:22 PM
Agree. And that's the main reason that makes me consider DeJounte a point guard. And I believe Pop thinks this too.

Looney Walker has another interesting personality to me. He might be a leader as well.
I could see them guiding the Spurs into a tripped out era of free thinkers.
I also have a sneaking suspicion that Pop isn't going anywhere for a few more years...

This could be pretty cool and maybe some playoff success will also happen.
You never know... The Spurs seem to win 'ships when absolutely nobody is expecting it.

SpursDynasty85
08-17-2018, 07:40 PM

I think Spurs and other teams have a good gauge on the market and know if a player will come to the Spurs or not. In 03, they had room and probably could've gotten Kidd but I read somewhere TP was not happy about the idea so Spurs nixed that idea.

Mr. Body
08-17-2018, 08:00 PM
I think Spurs and other teams have a good gauge on the market and know if a player will come to the Spurs or not. In 03, they had room and probably could've gotten Kidd but I read somewhere TP was not happy about the idea so Spurs nixed that idea.

Kidd's wife nixed it, I think.

daslicer
08-17-2018, 08:45 PM

Yes it came down to Kidd's wife. His wife wanted a career in journalism/media and wanted to say in the NYC area. Unrelated I actually met Kidd's wife once. It was way back in '02 and was at a playoff game of Nets vs Hornets. It was the last game the original Hornets played in Charlotte. I remember sitting several rows behind courtside and while going to my seats I saw her several feet away from me walking to her seat with two big bodyguards. At first I didn't know who she was but picked up quickly when I saw her face and actually yelled out her name which was Jourmana. To my surprise she looked right at me and smiled and then approached me with her bodyguards. We talked briefly for a minute or two but surprisingly she was very nice and friendly.

SpursDynasty85
08-17-2018, 08:50 PM

Oh. You're probably right. Come to think of it. No way Spurs pass up on 03 Kidd just because young Parkers grumbling. Lol. That would've been domination from 04-08.

sasaint
08-17-2018, 09:15 PM

I believe the number of superstars that the Spurs seriously consider is almost as small as the number who seriously consider the Spurs. Pop isn't going to pursue guys who wouldn't fit the Spurs' culture any more than they would pursue the Spurs.

I agree with a number of posters here that the Spurs desperately need an Alpha. If DJ has a breakout season, that alters the landscape, and the Spurs can "settle" into their traditional approach. If DJ (or somebody) doesn't fill that role by the end of this season, the Spurs will need to alter their approach and do something to identify and acquire the right Alpha for this team going forward.

Uriel
08-17-2018, 09:22 PM
The Spurs should go after Kawhi Leonard next summer.

SpursDynasty85
08-17-2018, 09:31 PM
I believe the number of superstars that the Spurs seriously consider is almost as small as the number who seriously consider the Spurs. Pop isn't going to pursue guys who wouldn't fit the Spurs' culture any more than they would pursue the Spurs.

I agree with a number of posters here that the Spurs desperately need an Alpha. If DJ has a breakout season, that alters the landscape, and the Spurs can "settle" into their traditional approach. If DJ (or somebody) doesn't fill that role by the end of this season, the Spurs will need to alter their approach and do something to identify and acquire the right Alpha for this team going forward.

Why is Aldridge not a good alpha? He never had a great supporting cast yet being the alpha. Lillard was just about to come into his own before he left yet he still took them to 50+ wins and always seems to score 40+ in almost every playoffs. A motivated DeRozan and Gay should be enough to take Rockets to at least 6 games, possibly win. 6 games would be great against GSW, possibly win if one of their top 3 is injured.

sasaint
08-17-2018, 10:12 PM
Why is Aldridge not a good alpha? He never had a great supporting cast yet being the alpha. Lillard was just about to come into his own before he left yet he still took them to 50+ wins and always seems to score 40+ in almost every playoffs. A motivated DeRozan and Gay should be enough to take Rockets to at least 6 games, possibly win. 6 games would be great against GSW, possibly win if one of their top 3 is injured.

If you went to war with LMA, he would be looking for somebody to tell him which foxhole to dive into. I would dive into another. Tim, Manu and Tony would all be directing the troops, and I would follow any of them into battle.

DJR210
08-17-2018, 10:14 PM
LMA was the only exception to the norm.

Derek Anderson was our next biggest splash in almost 20 years

DJR210
08-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Why is Aldridge not a good alpha?

You can't be a "good alpha" - You're either a naturally dominant personality or you're not. You must be the type of person to take offense to the notion of another person being bigger or badder than you, as this is the motivating factor that pushes you to want to out duel the opponent.

If I had to pick one guy on the team that seemingly possesses the alpha gene, but just lacks the confidence.. I'd have to say it's Murray. You can see it in his mannerisms and his swag.. he looks straight into the camera when interviewed, appears to enjoy being center of attention judging by his social media presence.. he's vocal in timeouts seemingly "stepping on Pop's toes" and coaching his older teammates at 21 years old.. He's got the supermodel girlfriend which definitely helps, TP is no longer ahead of him, and it's 100% clear the keys have been handed to him. He now needs to assert himself against the premier guards in the NBA offensively and defensively. I think this is the year for him to prove it.

It took Parker like 3-4 years to finally realize it.. I can remember Stephon Marbury dominating his ass and turning him into a shadow of the player he was every time we played PHX, but he finally figured it out :tu

SouthTexasRancher
08-17-2018, 10:33 PM

[email protected] was goooood....though! :toast

phxspurfan
08-17-2018, 10:51 PM
lol most random odds ever

Fusternino
08-17-2018, 10:54 PM
Would love Butler on the Spurs. He demands excellence from his teammates. Would need to move at least move Mills/Forbes/Marco/Bertans. Might need to move Gasol too for salary purposes but I'd keep him and we can argue about that later.

cutewizard
08-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Yes it came down to Kidd's wife. His wife wanted a career in journalism/media and wanted to say in the NYC area. Unrelated I actually met Kidd's wife once. It was way back in '02 and was at a playoff game of Nets vs Hornets. It was the last game the original Hornets played in Charlotte. I remember sitting several rows behind courtside and while going to my seats I saw her several feet away from me walking to her seat with two big bodyguards. At first I didn't know who she was but picked up quickly when I saw her face and actually yelled out her name which was Jourmana. To my surprise she looked right at me and smiled and then approached me with her bodyguards. We talked briefly for a minute or two but surprisingly she was very nice and friendly.

Was she beautiful?

LUCKY YOU.......

JR3
08-17-2018, 11:24 PM
So you are saying there is a chance....

SpursDynasty85
08-17-2018, 11:30 PM
You can't be a "good alpha" - You're either a naturally dominant personality or you're not. You must be the type of person to take offense to the notion of another person being bigger or badder than you, as this is the motivating factor that pushes you to want to out duel the opponent.

If I had to pick one guy on the team that seemingly possesses the alpha gene, but just lacks the confidence.. I'd have to say it's Murray. You can see it in his mannerisms and his swag.. he looks straight into the camera when interviewed, appears to enjoy being center of attention judging by his social media presence.. he's vocal in timeouts seemingly "stepping on Pop's toes" and coaching his older teammates at 21 years old.. He's got the supermodel girlfriend which definitely helps, TP is no longer ahead of him, and it's 100% clear the keys have been handed to him. He now needs to assert himself against the premier guards in the NBA offensively and defensively. I think this is the year for him to prove it.

It took Parker like 3-4 years to finally realize it.. I can remember Stephon Marbury dominating his ass and turning him into a shadow of the player he was every time we played PHX, but he finally figured it out :tu

Your definition of alpha does not fit any of the Sours previous alphas. LMA did well in Portland but never got the shot to be alpha for the Spurs until last year. He overachieved. You're letting the media do the thinking for you.

SpursDynasty85
08-17-2018, 11:32 PM
If you went to war with LMA, he would be looking for somebody to tell him which foxhole to dive into. I would dive into another. Tim, Manu and Tony would all be directing the troops, and I would follow any of them into battle.

Lol. I disagree LMA showed plenty of heart to me last year. He can build upon that and rewrite the kind of narrative you may have of him.

TrainOfThought5
08-17-2018, 11:59 PM

I laughed out loud.

sasaint
08-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Lol. I disagree LMA showed plenty of heart to me last year. He can build upon that and rewrite the kind of narrative you may have of him.

Indeed, he showed heart last season. That makes one in a row. There's still a difference between showing heart and being an Alpha. C'mon do good Betas or Gammas or Deltas... or Omegas NOT show heart?! You don't want a guy on the end of your bench who doesn't show heart. LMA may show some heart again next season. He still will not lead the troops. I will stick with my analogy.

TekXX
08-18-2018, 12:43 AM
Yea we aren't getting any decent free agents as a small market, especially with a tough coach who has a system.

Snaq O'Meal
08-18-2018, 01:29 AM
Would love Butler on the Spurs. He demands excellence from his teammates. Would need to move at least move Mills/Forbes/Marco/Bertans. Might need to move Gasol too for salary purposes but I'd keep him and we can argue about that later.

I’d move all those guys for Butler.

But PATFO would rather have types like CoJo instead.

daslicer
08-18-2018, 01:50 AM
Was she beautiful?

LUCKY YOU.......

Yeah she was hot. Surprisingly she looked better in person than what I had seen of her on TV.

Fusternino
08-18-2018, 01:56 AM
I’d move all those guys for Butler.

But PATFO would rather have types like CoJo instead.

Assuming we offer Butler around the same 4/110 contract he was offered by the Wolves we're still under the cap if we keep Gasol. Our starting line-up would be: Murray/DDR/Butler/Aldridge/Poeltl. I'm going to assume we have NB rights to Cunningham and Quincy Act, early Bird rights to Gay, Manu retires, and we don't need to use a pick to dump Mills. Our bench would be: White/Walker/Gay/Metu/Gasol. Deep bench would be our two 2019 first round picks/Blossomgame/keep Quincy Acy over Cunningham/minimum signing.

Frenchfred
08-18-2018, 05:21 AM
Gasol will be easy to trade, Manu contract will be up, Forbes can be dumped. I don’t think that Butler is that far out of reach.

cd021
08-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Gasol will be easy to trade, Manu contract will be up, Forbes can be dumped. I don’t think that Butler is that far out of reach.
Minus Gasol and Manu, Spurs would have about $95 million to 10 players, the cap for 19-20 is projected at $109 million and Butler's max would be something like $33 million.

Spurs would be less than halfway there. They'd have to ship Mills out into another teams cap space, same for Forbes and Belinelli and that still wouldn't be enough.

cd021
08-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Small market teams tend not to get all-stars through FA. Look at OKC,Jazz,Pacers,Hornets they have never gotten all-star FA's.

That's sort of like saying most guys won't bed a perfect 10, some will while most won't. Spurs did, Utah actually signed two players that later became All-stars (Okur and Boozer) while Atlanta signed Paul Milsap away from Utah, who became a 4-time all-star with them.

Spurs won't get close to max money to get into the Butler sweepstakes but small market teams acquire all-stars more often than they are given credit for. Minnesota traded for one, so did OKC, The Pels did the year before (Cousins)

Fusternino
08-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Minus Gasol and Manu, Spurs would have about $95 million to 10 players, the cap for 19-20 is projected at $109 million and Butler's max would be something like $33 million.

Spurs would be less than halfway there. They'd have to ship Mills out into another teams cap space, same for Forbes and Belinelli and that still wouldn't be enough.

Moving Bertans also makes it work. And I didn't realize his salary would be that high. Wolves really low-balled him on the contract extension in that case.

Chinook
08-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Moving Bertans also makes it work. And I didn't realize his salary would be that high. Wolves really low-balled him on the contract extension in that case.

The Wolves offered him the most they could. The CBA is really complicated.

sasaint
08-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Assuming we offer Butler around the same 4/110 contract he was offered by the Wolves we're still under the cap if we keep Gasol. Our starting line-up would be: Murray/DDR/Butler/Aldridge/Poeltl. I'm going to assume we have NB rights to Cunningham and Quincy Act, early Bird rights to Gay, Manu retires, and we don't need to use a pick to dump Mills. Our bench would be: White/Walker/Gay/Metu/Gasol. Deep bench would be our two 2019 first round picks/Blossomgame/keep Quincy Acy over Cunningham/minimum signing.

Eh... Poodle?

Chinook
08-18-2018, 09:27 AM
The Spurs definitely have to trade for a guy if they want to add to their roster at this point. They just don't have the cap space. Of course, hoping Murray develops into that guy would also be a plan, but even then, going for that fourth guy makes sense. Like Forbes. Pau and the two firsts should be a competitive package and allow SA to take back a guy making $26 Million. The issue is that there isn't really anyone at the range that makes sense to trade for. Maybe Porter. Butler for Gasol, the picks and Miltinov works both financially and is probably better than they'll get offered by another team, to such a point that I'd probably want something small back from them (you all know who at this). I'd want to have a path toward a decent third center before I pull the trigger on any Gasol trade, though. He's better than Poeltl, and why I'm willing to take a step back for a huge wing upgrade, they still need to make sure they have passable depth there. I don't think there are many decent candidates at this point. Just a while ago, there was Len, Monroe and Okafor. Now, you're looking at Brimah and Eubanks.

Fusternino
08-18-2018, 11:10 AM
The Wolves offered him the most they could. The CBA is really complicated.

Oh right because it's an extension and not a new contract so raises per year are super limited.

Who's the big we get back from the Wolves if we send them Gasol?

Chinook
08-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Oh right because it's an extension and not a new contract so raises per year are super limited.

Who's the big we get back from the Wolves if we send them Gasol?

I don't know if there is a big. But I'd want Keita Bates-Diop, because I will never give that up*. I think the team would need to find a center from elsewhere.

daslicer
08-18-2018, 11:18 AM
That's sort of like saying most guys won't bed a perfect 10, some will while most won't. Spurs did, Utah actually signed two players that later became All-stars (Okur and Boozer) while Atlanta signed Paul Milsap away from Utah, who became a 4-time all-star with them.

Spurs won't get close to max money to get into the Butler sweepstakes but small market teams acquire all-stars more often than they are given credit for. Minnesota traded for one, so did OKC, The Pels did the year before (Cousins)

Trades have nothing to do with FA. I'm talking about signing guys through FA and not trading for them. Boozer,Okur,Milsap were not all-stars when the Jazz went after them in FA. They were just known as good role players but once they played for the Jazz they became all-stars. I'm talking about signing guys who are already All-stars not unknowns. Guys who are already all-stars don't tend to sign with small markets. In your example of Boozer and Okur they were both role players desperate to get the most money possible hence why they signed with the Jazz. Spurs signing LMA is the only time in my lifetime where I have seen a small market team outright sign a proven all-star.

Kobe'sAchilles
08-18-2018, 11:49 AM
No to Jimmy Butler, too injury prone. But I wouldn't mind Klay. We could use the defense and 3 point shooting for sure. Golden St. finds themselves in a very interesting scenario next year. With both Durant and Klay being free agents. They would have to choose between them right? Like the luxary tax would be ridiculous if they keep their core together?

cd021
08-18-2018, 02:09 PM

There is also roster charges to deal with, that is $813,000 a pop, Spurs would have 7 players in the event that they are able to clear out Mill's, Beli, and Bertans, IIRC we would have to have 13 players under roster. Even If technically possible, it's super hard to maneuver.

Fusternino
08-18-2018, 02:21 PM
There is also roster charges to deal with, that is $813,000 a pop, Spurs would have 7 players in the event that they are able to clear out Mill's, Beli, and Bertans, IIRC we would have to have 13 players under roster. Even If technically possible, it's super hard to maneuver.

Yeah in my case the roster would be down to Aldridge/DDR/Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl (can re-sign Gay later with Early Bird rights). There's probably still well enough under the cap but I mean nothing more can be done other than getting Butler, re-signing Gay, signing the two first round picks, and then filling the rest of the roster using the MLE (can use part of this on Blossomgame/Metu to ensure they're under team control for 4 years) and minimum contracts.

So we are at Murray/DDR/Butler/Aldridge/Poeltl followed by White/Walker/Gay/Metu/minimum contract and then the two first round picks/Blossomgame/two minimum contracts. Maybe just play Aldridge at the 5 even moreso and move Poeltl to the bench.

Honestly, I was a big fan of trading for a package centered on Tobias Harris. Would he consider us in FA? Maybe we can get him for slightly less than 4/100. He's not a max player but I think he will continue to improve and get to keep Gasol and maybe even one more of Marco/Mills/Forbes/Bertans.

TE
08-18-2018, 02:55 PM
lol most random odds ever
:lol seriously. In the name of arbitrary and throwing shit so it can hopefully stick.

dbestpro
08-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Really curious to see if Klay Thompson could carry a team.

Cklbmk
08-18-2018, 06:09 PM
With what cap? We got 108.9 mil committed next year on an anticipated 109mil cap.

We'd need to trade Mills + Gasol + 1 of Bertans or Beli + incentive for nothing and not resign Rudy gay to make a competitive offer. I love Jimmy, but realistically he'd need to be obviously gone and we'd have to trade with Minny to get him or do a sign and trade. Otherwise I just dont see it

Realdeal1
08-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Would love to have jimmy butler on the Spurs ... doubt it happens thou

Snaq O'Meal
08-18-2018, 10:12 PM
No to Jimmy Butler, too injury prone. But I wouldn't mind Klay. We could use the defense and 3 point shooting for sure. Golden St. finds themselves in a very interesting scenario next year. With both Durant and Klay being free agents. They would have to choose between them right? Like the luxary tax would be ridiculous if they keep their core together?

Durant’s clearly a beta. He’d easily take less salary to remain with GSW. Benefits are obvious: rings, lighter load and favorable calls all the time.

cutewizard
08-18-2018, 11:33 PM
Your definition of alpha does not fit any of the Sours previous alphas. LMA did well in Portland but never got the shot to be alpha for the Spurs until last year. He overachieved. You're letting the media do the thinking for you.

Also, there are many quiet alphas. Some include......
Timmy Duncan
Bill Russell
Arvydas Sabonis
Ramon "El Presidente" Fernandez
Hector Calma (teammare of Chip Engelland)
Ricardo Brown

Magnificent cagers, all of them

cutewizard
08-18-2018, 11:34 PM
Would love to have jimmy butler on the Spurs ... doubt it happens thou

Plus the Manimal

cutewizard
08-18-2018, 11:35 PM
Bogs Adornado is another quiet Alpha

cd021
08-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Yeah in my case the roster would be down to Aldridge/DDR/Murray/White/Walker/Poeltl (can re-sign Gay later with Early Bird rights). There's probably still well enough under the cap but I mean nothing more can be done other than getting Butler, re-signing Gay, signing the two first round picks, and then filling the rest of the roster using the MLE (can use part of this on Blossomgame/Metu to ensure they're under team control for 4 years) and minimum contracts.

So we are at Murray/DDR/Butler/Aldridge/Poeltl followed by White/Walker/Gay/Metu/minimum contract and then the two first round picks/Blossomgame/two minimum contracts. Maybe just play Aldridge at the 5 even moreso and move Poeltl to the bench.

Honestly, I was a big fan of trading for a package centered on Tobias Harris. Would he consider us in FA? Maybe we can get him for slightly less than 4/100. He's not a max player but I think he will continue to improve and get to keep Gasol and maybe even one more of Marco/Mills/Forbes/Bertans.

-Spurs would have to renounce Gay's rights in order to clear out his cap hold and use it towards signing a FA.

-Spurs cant go under the cap and then have access to the MLE. They would have the room exception but that is a fraction of the MLE.

-Unless they work out an S&T for Butler, its probably less than 3% that he is a Spur. PATFO would have to shed a bunch of salary, which isn't easily done and likely to cost multiple picks.

-Tobias at 4/$100 is way too much for him, at least for the Spurs and their assumed timeline (DeRozen can hit FA in two seasons, same year as Aldridge). They'd be better off drafting a 3 and pursing a vet stop gap until they figure out something more permanent.

-Spurs should absolutely stretch and waive Pau and move on with LMA, Poeltl, Milutinov, Bertans and Metu as the big man core.

-Mentioned this several times before, but Spurs should consider trading Gasol and a 2021 2nd for DeMarre Carrol around the deadline. It would save the Spurs having to pay Gasols' $6.7 million in guaranteed money for his last year, and give them a starting caliber 3 who is young enough (32) to be a stopgap starter for a couple of seasons. The Spurs would have bird rights to bring him back, without having to dip into the MLE. He ranked highly in DRPM and is a good 3pt shooter, on a high volume of attempts last season. With a rotation of;

Murray, DDR, Carrol, Bertans, Aldridge
Mills, Beli, Manu, Gay, and Poeltl

That rotation has better spacing and a higher ceiling, defensively.

-I think next off season will be fairly quiet for PATFO, they'll stretch and waive Gasol and save $13.7 million. They'd have about 10 million in cap if they move on from Gay and use their pick on a domestic player, plus two roster charges. In that case, they'd probably be better off keeping Gay (meaning no cap space), not stretching Gasol and taking all $6.7 million of his cap hit instead of spreading it over the 19-20, 20-21, and 21-22 season. They could use the MLE to bring over Milutinov, sign Metu to a cheap 3 year deal, that might leave the Spurs around $4 million of the $9 million MLE, plus $3.5 million of the BAE.

Fusternino
08-19-2018, 01:07 AM
-Spurs would have to renounce Gay's rights in order to clear out his cap hold and use it towards signing a FA.

-Spurs are unlikely to get that Toronto pick, if it did, then it would be for the 2020 draft not 2019's.

-Spurs cant go under the cap and then have access to the MLE. They would have the room exception but that is a fraction of the MLE.

-Unless they work out an S&T for Butler, its probably less than 3% that he is a Spur. PATFO would have to shed a bunch of salary, which isn't easily done and likely to cost multiple picks.

-Tobias at 4/$100 is way too much for him, at least for the Spurs and their assumed timeline (DeRozen can hit FA in two seasons, same year as Aldridge). They'd be better off drafting a 3 and pursing a vet stop gap until they figure out something more permanent.

-Spurs should absolutely stretch and waive Pau and move on with LMA, Poeltl, Milutinov, Bertans and Metu as the big man core.

-Mentioned this several times before, but Spurs should consider trading Gasol and a 2021 2nd for DeMarre Carrol around the deadline. It would save the Spurs having to pay Gasols' $6.7 million in guaranteed money for his last year, and give them a starting caliber 3 who is young enough (32) to be a stopgap starter for a couple of seasons. The Spurs would have bird rights to bring him back, without having to dip into the MLE. He ranked highly in DRPM and is a good 3pt shooter, on a high volume of attempts last season. With a rotation of;

Murray, DDR, Carrol, Bertans, Aldridge
Mills, White, Manu, Gay, and Poeltl

That rotation has better spacing and a higher ceiling, defensively.

-I think next off season will be fairly quiet for PATFO, they'll stretch and waive Gasol and save $13.7 million. They'd have about 10 million in cap if they move on from Gay and use their pick on a domestic player, plus two roster charges. In that case, they'd probably be better off keeping Gay (meaning no cap space), not stretching Gasol and taking all $6.7 million of his cap hit instead of spreading it over the 19-20, 20-21, and 21-22 season. They could use the MLE to bring over Milutinov, sign Metu to a cheap 3 year deal, that might leave the Spurs around $4 million of the $9 million MLE, plus $3.5 million of the BAE.

OK yeah I was just way off on the CBA rules.

And the Raptors pick will almost certainly remain a first-they only need to finish top 10. Is the 2019 draft even any good? Those two picks (ours, Raptors) might be useless in a trade unless some team really wants to trade down and lower risks.

Fusternino
08-19-2018, 01:11 AM
So looking back to this year what's the plan if we don't sign someone outright for the last slot? I basically think it's delusional to count on Ariza or Carroll being bought out and coming here. They would go to a better team. We can send out like 3-4 camp invites and the salary is so small that even that plus a final minimum contract keeps us under the tax line, right?

cd021
08-19-2018, 01:48 AM
OK yeah I was just way off on the CBA rules.

And the Raptors pick will almost certainly remain a first-they only need to finish top 10. Is the 2019 draft even any good? Those two picks (ours, Raptors) might be useless in a trade unless some team really wants to trade down and lower risks.
The Raptors pick is top 21 protected, meaning that they would have to have one of the 8 best records to have to convey that pick. If Kawhi leaves then they likely won't be anywhere near that or possibly the playoffs-if they tear it down.

I highly doubt that pick conveys, so it'll be 2 second round picks instead.

cd021
08-19-2018, 01:50 AM
So looking back to this year what's the plan if we don't sign someone outright for the last slot? I basically think it's delusional to count on Ariza or Carroll being bought out and coming here. They would go to a better team. We can send out like 3-4 camp invites and the salary is so small that even that plus a final minimum contract keeps us under the tax line, right?
Ariza is probably not getting brought out, but Carroll and Dudley might. Houston has the tax payer MLE, so they would certainly be in line to sign him, that is why I want the Spurs to trade for him.

Fusternino
08-19-2018, 02:26 AM
The Raptors pick is top 21 protected, meaning that they would have to have one of the 8 best records to have to convey that pick. If Kawhi leaves then they likely won't be anywhere near that or possibly the playoffs-if they tear it down.

You really think Raptors trade him before the deadline?

DAF86
08-19-2018, 02:56 AM
Thompson is an underrated piece of GS, tbh. Having a guy that can give you 20+ with barely having the ball on his hands for more than a second per touch is huge.

cd021
08-19-2018, 03:18 AM
You really think Raptors trade him before the deadline?
I meant that I think that Kawhi will likely head to L.A., if he decides to re-sign then there is a chance that that pick conveys but it seems unlikely. Toronto probably keeps him for the entire year, there is always a chance-even if its a small one, that he stays.

Russo21
08-19-2018, 07:38 AM
https://tenor.com/y18F.gifhttps://tenor.com/y18F.gif

exstatic
08-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Raps pick is top 20 protected, and it’s for 2019, so Kawhi factors into it. Raps will almost certainly be a top 10 team.

cd021
08-19-2018, 08:53 AM

Raps pick is top 20 protected, and it’s for 2019, so Kawhi factors into it. Raps will almost certainly be a top 10 team.

Both you are right, that pick will likely convey. IDK why I thought that pick was for the 2020 draft, its 2019 draft.

That pick should be around 25, the pick only needs to fall between 21-30 with GSW, Houston, Boston, and Philly probably being ahead of them a with a fairly open field after those five teams.

I like that deal a little bit better now.

Nathan89
08-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Philly won't be better than the Raptors.

Warlock
08-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Spurs are one all-star caliber player and some injury luck from the Warriors away from competing for championship in the next two years. We need an upgrade at Center and backup SF. I thing a deal with Miami could solve this issue. We could trade Gasol, Mills, and Toronto 2019 1st to Miami for Hassan Whiteside and Justise Winslow. Salaries match. Whiteside adds rebounding, shot blocking, and inside scoring. He and Aldridge would be huge inside. Winslow is a terrific SF defender and 3 point specialist (a la Bruce Bowen). I actually think Winslow could start at SF and Gay would be 6th man of the year anchoring the second unit. We would miss Mills, but we have White and Forbes who are ready for more minutes at backup PG. Ginobili can also play PG if needed. Whiteside supposedly has an attitude problem, but he is mad because they benched him in favor of Bam Adabayo in the playoffs after he struggled with injuries last season. Ok, Miami likes Adabayo, that only makes Whiteside expendable. Good for us. Whiteside loves playing for Messina, he could be key to getting him to buy into the Spurs way. This deal would make the Spurs set for two years. We would move ahead of Houston and in range of GS. A key injury at the right time to GS and we are hoisting the trophy.

Warlock
08-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Another option for the Spurs to upgrade the roster would be to stay the course in 2018 and upgrade during 2019 free agency. In order to even play in this ensuing bloodbath the Spurs will have to get cap space they currently don't have. Getting rid of Gasol and Mills would be required, maybe others like Belinelli, Gay, and Bertans as well. This is not easy since many teams are signing up for the bloodbath and don't want to take on existing contracts, so trading these players before free agency will not be easy.

In looking at the 2019 free agent class, I only see two realistic possibilities who could help the Spurs and might choose SA. Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris. Klay will stay with GS. The others play positions we are set at or will not choose the Spurs. Butler will be very expensive. We would have to gut the roster to keep our core and sign him. Is anyone really worth $35mm per year? OK, maybe LeBron, KD, and Leonard (ouch). Harris on the other hand is nearly an all-star and plays SF/PF. He is a proven scorer and might be able to be had for around $20-25 mm per. We could probably keep Gay, Marco, and Bertans, losing only Gasol and Mills. Adding Harris would make the Spurs a strong contender as Poeltl could replace Gasol and White/Forbes could replace Mills. We also have Mulitinov coming in in 2019 or 20020. The downside to this strategy is that the market for good 2019 free agents will be crazy and some team may offer even Harris a max contract. Hello Kings, Grizzlies, Clippers (if they lose out on Kawhi).

Warlock
08-19-2018, 01:56 PM
A third option for the Spurs is to stay the course over the next two years developing our young guys and selective cheaper free agents. Buying out and stretching Gasol does not help unless we have a replacement. Gasol still has gas in the tank, but he is limited. He is inconsistent because he is old. Finding a replacement center for cheap will not be an improvement. We need to go bold at Center/PF (LMA can play either position) or live with Gasol. We could go small to cover for him depending on matchups and nights where he doesn't have it. Inconsistency in the playoffs might be a problem for Gasol. Poeltl is an unknown, he might be better than we think and could provide consistent meaningful minutes especially if he improves during the season. We might switch them come playoff time.

Defense and 3 point shooting look to be weaknesses of the starting lineup. Gay will have to start as we don't have another SF. He is good enough but starting him will crowd the paint and weaken the bench. We could use Cunningham, Bellineli, and Ginobili at SF, but none of these should be starters. Gay and the rest of the starters will have to hold up through the season and could be tired come playoff time. Adding a 3 and D wing at some point would help if they are not too expensive.

Murray, White, and Forbes will all be improved and Walker IV might be a pleasant surprise. He has the potential to be really good. It will take some time however. We know what we get from Mills. He will add energy and make 3s off the bench. He is not and never should be a starter.

My concern with this strategy is that we do not have enough star power right now to be consistent enough to beat Houston and GS. We might not even be able to beat OKC, NO, or Utah. Staying the course might be jeopardizing the prime of Aldridge and DeRozen for the next two years without giving them a realistic chance of winning. With that said, barring key injuries at the right time, nobody is going to beat GS anyway.

Mikeanaro
08-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Now we need B class players?
Most funny thing is they wont be paid as second tier crap.

TD 21
08-19-2018, 04:35 PM
-Mentioned this several times before, but Spurs should consider trading Gasol and a 2021 2nd for DeMarre Carrol around the deadline. It would save the Spurs having to pay Gasols' $6.7 million in guaranteed money for his last year, and give them a starting caliber 3 who is young enough (32) to be a stopgap starter for a couple of seasons. The Spurs would have bird rights to bring him back, without having to dip into the MLE. He ranked highly in DRPM and is a good 3pt shooter, on a high volume of attempts last season.

I've seen a bunch of variations of this, but the Nets project to have double max cap space and are thought to have a chance at Butler and Irving (also, Leonard was supposedly calling other stars who are upcoming free agents the night before the trade about teaming up, not just in L.A., but possibly their). Suffice it to say, they're not throwing away that possibility, however slim it might be, for a '21 2nd.

Even without that possibility, why eat more than double what teams typically pay when they trade for a 2nd and do so for one that wouldn't convey for 3 drafts? If they can't trade Carroll for something better, buying him out would be cheaper.

Yeah. All this recent change has probably shaken them to their core and they probably want to start building some continuity again. The only possible addition I could see impacting the rotation, is a 3 and D SF.

Warlock
08-19-2018, 06:04 PM
If we could get Brooklyn to take Gasol and a future 2nd for DeMare Carrol we shoud do it. I would even take Dudley for Mills and future 2nd. I don't think the Nets would do either deal. They want all the cap space they can get for 2019 free agency.

Sacramento might take Mills for Shumpert at the deadline. Kings will have so much cap space (over 70mm) that they might like Mills as a backup PG. Who knows.

tbdog
08-19-2018, 06:53 PM
Tbh Gasol is a better player than Carroll who played bad with DD and the Raptors, and only had a good year with a bad team last season. He obviously is a good lockeroom guy and not toxic. Gasol has had good seasons for like forever.

Ice009
08-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Winslow is a terrific SF defender and 3 point specialist (a la Bruce Bowen). I actually think Winslow could start at SF and Gay would be 6th man of the year anchoring the second unit. We would miss Mills, but we have White and Forbes who are ready for more minutes at backup PG. Ginobili can also play PG if needed. Whiteside supposedly has an attitude problem, but he is mad because they benched him in favor of Bam Adabayo in the playoffs after he struggled with injuries last season. Ok, Miami likes Adabayo, that only makes Whiteside expendable. Good for us. Whiteside loves playing for Messina, he could be key to getting him to buy into the Spurs way. This deal would make the Spurs set for two years.

Since when is Winslow a 3 point specialist and when did Whiteside play for Messina?

Warlock
08-20-2018, 01:38 AM
Winslow made 50 3 pointers last year and shot 38% from 3 as a backup SF. Whiteside played a few weeks ago in the Africa game for team world and was coached by Messina. After the game, he said that it was a pleasure to play for coach Messina. He had never played on a team where the ball moved so much. There were open people everywhere. This is just a one game deal, and an exhibition at that, but he never said anything close to that about Spolstra. Rudy Gay was the captain of team World. Whiteside played well and held his own against Joel Embid.

cd021
08-20-2018, 12:28 PM
I've seen a bunch of variations of this, but the Nets project to have double max cap space and are thought to have a chance at Butler and Irving (also, Leonard was supposedly calling other stars who are upcoming free agents the night before the trade about teaming up, not just in L.A., but possibly their). Suffice it to say, they're not throwing away that possibility, however slim it might be, for a '21 2nd.

Even without that possibility, why eat more than double what teams typically pay when they trade for a 2nd and do so for one that wouldn't convey for 3 drafts? If they can't trade Carroll for something better, buying him out would be cheaper.

Yeah. All this recent change has probably shaken them to their core and they probably want to start building some continuity again. The only possible addition I could see impacting the rotation, is a 3 and D SF.

It would be cheaper for Brooklyn to buy him out than to do a Gasol for Carrol swap; though Gasol's guaranteed money next season can be stretched out over 3 years. Costing BK $2.3 million next year.

You're right in regards to Brooklyn's motivation, or lack thereof in doing a deal like this one. While that 2nd round pick may end up being a decent one, acquired for a player likely out the door, it is still three years away from conveying and not enough incentive.

The idea of trading for Carrol as opposed to trying to outdo Houston and sign him is still a good one; however, moving more sweetener to entice the Nets to deal him to us, such as one of our two firsts is too much, in my opinion.

Though Houston has the star power and the tax payer MLE to offer; for all I know, he and DeRozen may still be close and starting for a team that could be desperate for his skill set may be enough of a pitch but probably not likely.

cd021
08-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Tbh Gasol is a better player than Carroll who played bad with DD and the Raptors, and only had a good year with a bad team last season. He obviously is a good lockeroom guy and not toxic. Gasol has had good seasons for like forever.

Gasol is a fine player, but not one we especially need. Aldridge at the 5, (with Poeltl playing 10-15 minutes behind him) while Carrol slides in at the starting 3 along with Murray, DDR, and Bertans. That is a better balanced unit, that can both space the floor and defend.

He is better able to guard opposing wings such as Butler, Durant, LeBron and can toggle between the 3 and the 4, plus is a high volume 3pt shooter who shot the ball last year- he would make much more sense on this roster than Gasol does.

SpursDynasty85
08-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Spurs are one all-star caliber player and some injury luck from the Warriors away from competing for championship in the next two years. We need an upgrade at Center and backup SF. I thing a deal with Miami could solve this issue. We could trade Gasol, Mills, and Toronto 2019 1st to Miami for Hassan Whiteside and Justise Winslow. Salaries match. Whiteside adds rebounding, shot blocking, and inside scoring. He and Aldridge would be huge inside. Winslow is a terrific SF defender and 3 point specialist (a la Bruce Bowen). I actually think Winslow could start at SF and Gay would be 6th man of the year anchoring the second unit. We would miss Mills, but we have White and Forbes who are ready for more minutes at backup PG. Ginobili can also play PG if needed. Whiteside supposedly has an attitude problem, but he is mad because they benched him in favor of Bam Adabayo in the playoffs after he struggled with injuries last season. Ok, Miami likes Adabayo, that only makes Whiteside expendable. Good for us. Whiteside loves playing for Messina, he could be key to getting him to buy into the Spurs way. This deal would make the Spurs set for two years. We would move ahead of Houston and in range of GS. A key injury at the right time to GS and we are hoisting the trophy.

LOL. More delusional dream. Whiteside and Winslow are still young.. Why would they trade them for a terrible first round pick and two old guys that are severe downgrades? They also gave up there 2022 pick.. I don't think they would risk any sort of rebuilding before then.. If White side and Winslow go it will be for a top 8 pick.

iGetbuckets
08-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Were not getting either.

SpursDynasty85
08-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Gasol is a fine player, but not one we especially need. Aldridge at the 5, (with Poeltl playing 10-15 minutes behind him) while Carrol slides in at the starting 3 along with Murray, DDR, and Bertans. That is a better balanced unit, that can both space the floor and defend.

He is better able to guard opposing wings such as Butler, Durant, LeBron and can toggle between the 3 and the 4, plus is a high volume 3pt shooter who shot the ball last year- he would make much more sense on this roster than Gasol does.

Gasol really is washed up. Poelt'l I believe was a player the Spurs targeted knowing they needed a second big man besides Gasol. Hopefully Poelt'l pans out.

tbdog
08-20-2018, 01:30 PM
Carrol is more of a 4 than a 3. He is a between player. We have three of them in Gay, Bertans, and Cunningham. Poeltl is a bit of a foul machine and cannot be trusted to play big minutes due to injuries or foul trouble. Trading one of our guards for Carrol makes far more sense than a solid center who can shoot, pass, rebound, and defend the post.

Fusternino
08-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Yeah for real there's way too much Gasol hate on this forum. I have a feeling he's staying with us beyond this upcoming season.

I'm still on the Quincy Acy train. Had a friend tell me that's delusional because if he's signing for the minimum then it would be with Dubs/Rox, lol.

StinkyWeezleteats
08-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Is Scola available?

TD 21
08-20-2018, 04:50 PM
The idea of trading for Carrol as opposed to trying to outdo Houston and sign him is still a good one; however, moving more sweetener to entice the Nets to deal him to us, such as one of our two firsts is too much, in my opinion.

Though Houston has the star power and the tax payer MLE to offer; for all I know, he and DeRozen may still be close and starting for a team that could be desperate for his skill set may be enough of a pitch but probably not likely.

Yeah, despite being able to potentially offer the biggest role, it'll be difficult for the Spurs to outdo better teams for Carroll or Ariza, if they get bought out.

It's probably more likely they don't fill this need until next off season. Aminu would make sense. Still youngish, he's become a decent volume 3-point shooter, while maintaining his plus defense/rebounding. If, as expected, Gasol isn't retained, a big rotation featuring Aldridge, Gay?, Poeltl, Bertans, will need all the help it can get on the defensive glass.

LOL. More delusional dream. Whiteside and Winslow are still young.. Why would they trade them for a terrible first round pick and two old guys that are severe downgrades? They also gave up there 2022 pick.. I don't think they would risk any sort of rebuilding before then.. If White side and Winslow go it will be for a top 8 pick.

Whiteside is 29 and they'd love to rid themselves of him. In addition, their bloated payroll might make them queasy about matching a potential offer sheet for Winslow, who's improving 3-point stroke is bound to make him in demand. They might be interested in getting out ahead of this and trading him beforehand. They're also short on picks, though they've never valued them much.

Spurs wouldn't touch Whiteside though, so it's moot.

SpursDynasty85
08-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Yeah, despite being able to potentially offer the biggest role, it'll be difficult for the Spurs to outdo better teams for Carroll or Ariza, if they get bought out.

It's probably more likely they don't fill this need until next off season. Aminu would make sense. Still youngish, he's become a decent volume 3-point shooter, while maintaining his plus defense/rebounding. If, as expected, Gasol isn't retained, a big rotation featuring Aldridge, Gay?, Poeltl, Bertans, will need all the help it can get on the defensive glass.

Whiteside is 29 and they'd love to rid themselves of him. In addition, their bloated payroll might make them queasy about matching a potential offer sheet for Winslow, who's improving 3-point stroke is bound to make him in demand. They might be interested in getting out ahead of this and trading him beforehand. They're also short on picks, though they've never valued them much.

Idk. Whiteside seems like an asset still. Yes he is overpaid but if he is thought of as a missing piece to contend the next two years and expire him then I could see a team who needed a center wanting him. Spurs, probably wouldn't because of his personality more than his game. Spurs should be trying to maximize LMA's remaining game for next 2 years and then look to pick up a free agent anyway.

Warlock
08-20-2018, 11:18 PM

Idk. Whiteside seems like an asset still. Yes he is overpaid but if he is thought of as a missing piece to contend the next two years and expire him then I could see a team who needed a center wanting him. Spurs, probably wouldn't because of his personality more than his game. Spurs should be trying to maximize LMA's remaining game for next 2 years and then look to pick up a free agent anyway.

Whiteside would be a great asset for the Spurs. He averages a double double with shot blocking ability. He would start play alongside and complement LMA. Why wouldn't the Spurs want him? Heat want to get rid of Whiteside because they want to start and play Adebayo and Olynyk and Whiteside makes a boat load of money. Whiteside wants to start and play lots of minutes. He is expendable for the Heat. They consider Whiteside an overpaid backup. Gasol would be a less overpaid backup who can play both PF/C and wouldn't mind being a backup. Gasol can also help develop Adebayo, a player Miami sees as it's future star. Finally, Gasol is only guaranteed 7mm next year. If Heat want to get rid of him they can free up 9mm in cap space. This could be enough to get them below Luxury tax.

Winslow would help the Spurs more than Miami. He brings defense and 3 point shooting, which the Spurs will be lacking. He could be a starter for SA. Winslow is a backup for Miami. They have a bunch of similar players. Miami would like to keep Winslow, but their cap situation will make it difficult to offer him a decent extension to avoid free agency and he would be the price they have to pay to get rid of Whiteside. Mills would be required to make the potential trade work. Spurs can replace Mills with younger guys ready to play. Miami has lots of guards, but only one real point guard (Dragic). Mills would likely be more valuable to Miami as backup PG than San Antonio.

Combined salaries of Whiteside/Winslow and Gasol/Mills are nearly identical. Neither team has cap room for the next two years. Talent leans more to Whiteside/Winslow, therefore Miami would likely require draft picks as extra compensation. Spurs have two picks next year.

Dejounte
08-20-2018, 11:29 PM
Jakob is already our Whiteside.

Stabula
08-20-2018, 11:30 PM
The planet is experiencing a mass extinction event and here we are talking about where Klay Thompson might go next year

Johnsyounger
08-21-2018, 12:42 PM
http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxtpjrJYz81qeo73ro1_500.gif

YGWHI
08-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Thompson is an underrated piece of GS, tbh. Having a guy that can give you 20+ with barely having the ball on his hands for more than a second per touch is huge.
Agree. But Klay on other team won't have Currry, KD, Dray to create the good looks and space for him. I guess his contract will be so expensive for a 2nd option like him.

LCM
08-21-2018, 11:53 PM
Agree. But Klay on other team won't have Currry, KD, Dray to create the good looks and space for him. I guess his contract will be so expensive for a 2nd option like him.

His contract and Draymond's are going to be interesting to see the dollar amounts because I think Klay and Dray are done taking discount deals. If GS is able to sign Dray, Klay, and KD to extensions, screw the taxes, do the owners of the NBA's other franchises start talking hard salary cap next bargaining agreement?

daslicer
08-22-2018, 12:26 AM
His contract and Draymond's are going to be interesting to see the dollar amounts because I think Klay and Dray are done taking discount deals. If GS is able to sign Dray, Klay, and KD to extensions, screw the taxes, do the owners of the NBA's other franchises start talking hard salary cap next bargaining agreement?

Lacob doesn't seem to care about the luxury tax. He just wants to win as much as he can and believes through winning that the value of the franchise will go up thus making up for him having to spend as much as he does on the contracts. It sucks for the rest of the league but I do see him maxing out all of those guys.

cd021
08-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Carrol is more of a 4 than a 3. He is a between player. We have three of them in Gay, Bertans, and Cunningham. Poeltl is a bit of a foul machine and cannot be trusted to play big minutes due to injuries or foul trouble. Trading one of our guards for Carrol makes far more sense than a solid center who can shoot, pass, rebound, and defend the post.

It's not like Cunningham is actually going to play and Carrol is better than him, so that doesn't really matter to me whether we have 3 or 4, 3.5s. Carrol can still guard 3s like LeBron, Durant and PG-13 and is has developed into a good high volume 3pt shooter. He can play the 3 but is still an idea small ball 4. In the event that Gasol were to be moved for Carrol, Gay and Bertans can split the 4 minutes and while Poeltl does have a high foul rate, he can protect the rim, rebound, and finishes strong at the rim- that is fine for a backup center, especially considering his role would drop during the playoffs to around 12 mpg.

With the news of Manu possibly retiring, suddenly that guard stockpile is a bit more useful. Mils may end up starting with Murray, DDR, Gasol and Aldridge while White, Beli, Gay, Bertans and Poeltl are the bench rotation.

cd021
08-22-2018, 12:50 PM

I hadn't realized that Aminu would be available in FA he'd be a good fit, though the Spurs likely would be priced out of his free agency even if the Spurs stretch and waive Gasol and opt not to bring Gay back.

With more money available next off season than this past one; and him signing a cheap deal 3 years ago, he'd likely be in the mindset of trying to make up for lost salary by seeking the biggest deal possible, as opposed to taking a discount to sign with the Spurs for the MLE.

I think Phoenix is dead set on making a big jump, though, if things go sideways, it is not inconceivable that Ariza is also brought out. That would help the Spurs in the sense that Houston would sign only one of them and that would probably be Ariza, considering that he is close with Harden and Paul plus is familiar with their system.