PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Bob Bass

testingtesting
08-17-2018, 11:40 PM
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Former-Spurs-GM-Bob-Bass-dies-after-series-of-13165095.php

Good read. R.I.P.

Moved Gervin to shooting guard. Drafted David Robinson and Sean Elliott.

Legend.

baseline bum
08-17-2018, 11:50 PM
RIP to a Spurs legend. He got us Mike Mitchell. Got us Artis. Made the trade for TC when Alvin's life was imploding and turned a disastrous signing of Mychal Thompson into Frank Brickowski.

Chucho
08-17-2018, 11:59 PM
Hadn't heard his name since elementary. I mistook him for Bob Hill when I read the thread title. RIP

bigfan
08-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Coached twice, didn't he?

Stabula
08-18-2018, 12:58 AM
Does saying RIP actually give someone you never met peace in the afterlife?

Russ
08-18-2018, 08:14 AM
No one personified the pre-Popovich Spurs more than Bob Bass.

He was always there when he was needed, even if you had just about forgotten about him up to that moment.

Harry Callahan
08-18-2018, 10:27 AM
BB was a big part of the ABA NBA transition. The Spurs were REALLY fortunate to get into the NBA at that time when the sport was not nearly as popular - fortunately the city of Dallas thought is was too good for an ABA franchise in 1973.

The basketball moves for the Spurs in that time were generally good and Bass had a lot of input. Trades usually worked out. Angelo Drossos dropped $300K on the Virginia Squires for Ice. Then the Spurs went to court to keep the deal in place.

The move of Gervin to SG is at the top of the list. Gervin's greatness really got people all over the country talking about the team and the city.

One item of note - Mr. Bass DID trade the rights to Kobe Bryant from the Hornets to the Lakers for a soon to be free agent Vlade Divac. That was a HORRIBLE move and BB got fired a few years later. Another example of something of the "something for nothing" deals that propped up the Lakers for most of their existence.

Budkin
08-18-2018, 11:59 AM

Yes, the first thing you get to do when you die now is instantly see all the messages discussing your death.

BatManu20
08-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Sucks tbh. He was also the representative for us at the ‘87 NBA Draft, the year we got D-Rob. Good guy who was well-respected and liked in the community. RIP.

IKmKAwcM9u4

Dex
08-18-2018, 12:37 PM
RIP Bass. Helped to set the foundation for what has become one of the premier organizations in professional sports.

ducks
08-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Never would have Tony freaking Parker had he had his way

TDomination
08-18-2018, 07:47 PM
I will always remember him saying
We've waited 20 years for him, what's 2 more. What's 2 more.

rogcl1
08-18-2018, 11:40 PM
Never would have Tony freaking Parker had he had his way

Probably not everyone realizes that Bass as GM of Charlotte wanted to pick Parker in the draft before the Spurs. He did not get his way and it worked out pretty good for the Spurs.

Das Texan
08-19-2018, 04:36 PM
Bob Bass was one of the 5 most instrumental people in Spurs history.

RIP and thanks for all you did for the spurs.

Portnoy1000
08-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Does anyone have game 3 of the 1992 playoffs spurs vs suns? That was the last game he coached. I been trying to get that complete series of him for almost 15 years now.

daslicer
08-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Bass put together some good teams in Charlotte. He was forced to trade Alonzo and flipped him for Glen Rice, Matt Geiger. Rice became a top 3 SF while being in Charlotte for the few years he was there and Geiger was a solid center. He also traded Larry Johnson who was on the serious decline for Anthony Mason. He drafted Kobe and traded him for Divac. I know a lot of people would say that was a terrible move but if we're being honest here Kobe would not have done anything in Charlotte and would have left once his contract was expired. Keep in mind back then rookie contracts didn't not have restricted FA clauses in them like they do today. He also signed Bobby Phills and David Wesely through FA to form a good backcourt. The Rice-Mason-Divac Hornet teams averaged 52.5 wins in their two years together. Rice then got disgruntled and forced a trade. Bass then flipped Rice for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell.

Spur fans should be thankful for that trade Bass made for Jones-Campbell for Rice. That trade weakened the Lakers who had been a terrible matchup for the Spurs prior to the trade. If that trade doesn't go do down then there is a good chance the Spurs don't beat the Lakers in '99.

Maddog
08-19-2018, 07:48 PM
He drafted Kobe and traded him for Divac. I know a lot of people would say that was a terrible move but if we're being honest here Kobe would not have done anything in Charlotte and would have left once his contract was expired. Keep in mind back then rookie contracts didn't not have restricted FA clauses in them like they do today. ....

I agree. BB should get a pass on trading Kobe.
This article gives a bit more background.
http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article216945440.html?__twitter_impression=true

A lot of teams passed on Kobe. Two reasons. One his agent had let it be known that Kobe would go play in Italy if drafted by anybody but LA and maybe NY. Also at the time there was not a great track record of high school to NBA. KG the year before and Darryl Dawkins and Bill Willoughby. Kind of plus minus. Of course Moses Malone was great from the get go.

daslicer
08-19-2018, 09:01 PM
I agree. BB should get a pass on trading Kobe.
This article gives a bit more background.
http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article216945440.html?__twitter_impression=true

A lot of teams passed on Kobe. Two reasons. One his agent had let it be known that Kobe would go play in Italy if drafted by anybody but LA and maybe NY. Also at the time there was not a great track record of high school to NBA. KG the year before and Darryl Dawkins and Bill Willoughby. Kind of plus minus. Of course Moses Malone was great from the get go.

Agreed I was in middle school during time the Divac trade happened. All the analysts at that time along with the media believed the Hornets gotten the better end of the deal.

Vito Corleone
08-21-2018, 07:38 AM
Bob's daughter was my 2nd grade teacher. Considering how old I am she would be about 70 years old now.

Bob, by all accounts was a great person, but he made a few blunders as a GM, biggest was trading for Dennis Rodman but my favorite was drafting Alfredrick Hughes. Not counting Elliott and Robinson, he did make some pretty good trades. Getting Terry Cummins, Antoine Carr, trading for A-Train.

toast to you Bob Bass.

StinkyWeezleteats
08-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Only if you mix in a few thoughts and prayers.

rjv
08-21-2018, 11:09 AM
part of the foundation and a great personality. rest in peace.

Blake
08-21-2018, 11:45 AM

rascal
08-21-2018, 06:57 PM
BB was a big part of the ABA NBA transition. The Spurs were REALLY fortunate to get into the NBA at that time when the sport was not nearly as popular - fortunately the city of Dallas thought is was too good for an ABA franchise in 1973.

The basketball moves for the Spurs in that time were generally good and Bass had a lot of input. Trades usually worked out. Angelo Drossos dropped $300K on the Virginia Squires for Ice. Then the Spurs went to court to keep the deal in place.

The move of Gervin to SG is at the top of the list. Gervin's greatness really got people all over the country talking about the team and the city.

One item of note - Mr. Bass DID trade the rights to Kobe Bryant from the Hornets to the Lakers for a soon to be free agent Vlade Divac. That was a HORRIBLE move and BB got fired a few years later. Another example of something of the "something for nothing" deals that propped up the Lakers for most of their existence.

Larry Kenon trade

Marcus Bryant
08-21-2018, 10:06 PM
RIP to a Spurs legend. He got us Mike Mitchell. Got us Artis. Made the trade for TC when Alvin's life was imploding and turned a disastrous signing of Mychal Thompson into Frank Brickowski.

:tu