08-27-2018, 05:17 PM
manu
diegote
fangio
vilas
paula pareto

daledondale
08-27-2018, 05:25 PM
1-Diego (because he was the best of the most popular sport in Argentina).
2-Manu (obvious reasons).
3-Fangio.
4-Vilas.

P.S: fuck Messi and Aguero :downspin:

cd98
08-27-2018, 06:43 PM
Manu more classy than Diego. He is a great ambassador for Argentina.

Spur|n|Austin
08-27-2018, 06:44 PM
1. Manu
2. Maradona

3. Fab

4. Sergio Aguero

5. Missi

:lol @ Missi

spurraider21
08-27-2018, 06:46 PM
why do you guys have maradona and messi on a "sports" list?

TDMVPDPOY
08-27-2018, 07:52 PM
lol diego on the lists...the biggest hypocrite and bandwagon kent when NT does shit he throws them under a bus, when they do good? he comes out high celebrating and shit...

its good that his banter with that other known fagot pele..but seriously these 2 has beens, why do they continue to get media attention every wc

RodrigoTango
08-27-2018, 08:41 PM
Hi!

First time here. I didn't intend to write but this thread deserves a comment.

I think that everyone who is here is: 1) An American that the only Argentine sportsman that knows in depth is Manu, and/or 2) A huge fan of Manu, and/or 3) An Argentine basketball fan.

Before you think I don't like Manu, I want to clarify that I really like Ginobili and I consider him the best argentine basketball player.

BUT he is very very far from being the best Argentine sportsman in the history.

In fact, Ginobili was not considered the best player of his sport in his time... neither the best player in his position... neither the best player on his team.

I really love Ginobili but in this forum his figure is exaggerated when some people (for lack of objectivity) wants to compare him with other athletes that were globally considered the best in their sport.

Juan Manuel Fangio, Diego Maradona, Adolfo Cambiaso, Leo Messi.

I can also add those that were considered the best in their sport for a shorter period of time.

Luciana Aymar, Carlos Monzon, Roberto De Vicenzo.

All those named above were considered "the best in the world in their sport" by the very federation of the sport they practiced.

Ginobili is great an we love him, but barely gets to be in the TOP 10 of best Argentine athletes in history.

This is my opinion but it is based on a logical and solid criterion.

lefty
08-27-2018, 08:42 PM
1. Manu
2. Maradona

3. Fab

4. Sergio Aguero

5. Missi

Almost agree.

I would have :

5. Sabatini
6. Kempes
7. Missi

Proxy
08-27-2018, 08:45 PM

Allan Rowe vs Wade
08-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Hi!

I think that everyone who is here is: 1) An American that the only Argentine sportsman that knows in depth is Manu, and/or 2) A huge fan of Manu, and/or 3) An Argentine basketball fan.

Before you think I don't like Manu, I want to clarify that I really like Ginobili and I consider him the best argentine basketball player.

In fact, Ginobili was not considered the best player of his sport in his time... neither the best player in his position... neither the best player on his team.

I really love Ginobili but in this forum his figure is exaggerated when some people (for lack of objectivity) wants to compare him with other athletes that were globally considered the best in their sport.

I can also add those that were considered the best in their sport for a shorter period of time.

All those named above were considered "the best in the world in their sport" by the very federation of the sport they practiced.

Ginobili is great an we love him, but barely gets to be in the TOP 10 of best Argentine athletes in history.

sorry except for the boxer you didn’t include any real sports

good effort though

gilmor2002
08-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Mario Kempes is the best by far..

MB20
08-27-2018, 08:55 PM
Manu is top 3...with Maradona and Fangio.
Better than Distefano, Messi, Vilas, Monzon

SpurPadre
08-27-2018, 11:53 PM
Hi!

Messi is a proven club only player who needs a dream team around him to shine and does jack shit for his country...and routinely quits on them when they lose. He's a straight up little bitch, literally the Kawhi of soccer. Monzon was a great boxer but his career wasn't long enough. Maradona is drunkard and dope fiend. Fangio was a fucking driver. Manu is God...you fail, tbh.

SpurPadre
08-28-2018, 12:05 AM
Manu is top 3...with Maradona and Fangio.
Better than Distefano, Messi, Vilas, Monzon

Fangio would've been a hell of an Uber driver and I would've loved to have had him deliver my pizzas but I'm not going to place him in a list of actual athletes.

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 12:10 AM
Even media (biggest Maradona ass kissers) said Manu is #1.

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 12:18 AM
Hi!

What are you talking about? All media here said he is #1.
But also naming people like Luciana Aymar who never had any worldwide recognition, could barely beat the Netherlands like 2 out of 11 times.
Monzon was great but not for 16 years.
Who is Vicenzo?
Cambiaso? News channels here have never showed him on a daily basis like they did with Manu, Messi or Tevez.
1 post? Utah Jazz? Fucking Alt.
DATCOREDOE!

ElNono
08-28-2018, 12:25 AM
1. Veron
2. Francescoli (technically, Uruguay is an Argentina province, IMO, FWIW, tbh)
3. DieGOAT
4. Manu
5. DiStefano
6. Monzon
7. Carrasco
8. Goycoechea
9. Burdiso
10. Enzo Perez

DAF86
08-28-2018, 12:47 AM
Argentina has had many goats actually. Messi, Maradona, Fangio, Devicenzo, Vilas, Monzón (among others) have been bigger than Manu at their respective sports.

SpurPadre
08-28-2018, 01:35 AM
Why are people acknowledging glorified Uber drivers as being athletes? Just go to the nearest freeway at midnight and see people drive fast, tbh. I know red states love professional paid speed racers but to place them in line with supreme athletes like Manu is ridiculous, tbh.

ElNono
08-28-2018, 01:36 AM
1. Carrizo
2. Labruna
3. Pedernera
4. Loustau
5. Muñoz
6. Moreno
7. Peucelle
8. Deambrossi
9. Cesarini
10. Di Stefano
11. Manu

SpurPadre
08-28-2018, 01:39 AM
1. Carrizo
2. Labruna
3. Pedernera
4. Loustau
5. Muñoz
6. Moreno
7. Peucelle
8. Deambrossi
9. Cesarini
10. Di Stefano
11. Manu

Falta de respeto, tbh. No seas boludo.

ElNono
08-28-2018, 01:39 AM
1. Manu
2. Olmedo
3. Susana
4. Karadagian
5. Tinelli
6. Pergolini
7. Badia
8. Portal
9. Sofovich
10. Porcel

ElNono
08-28-2018, 01:40 AM
Falta de respeto, tbh. No seas boludo.

Boca fan spotted

Robz4000
08-28-2018, 01:56 AM
Argentina has had many goats actually. Messi, Maradona, Fangio, Devicenzo, Vilas, Monzón (among others) have been bigger than Manu at their respective sports.

So Manu isn't even Top 5 in Argieland?

diego
08-28-2018, 05:11 AM
In terms of being an undisputed goat, manu is not top 5.
But IMO, manu's success was the most impressive because of its unlikelihood.

Maradona was a superstar age 12, not the first "best player in the world" from Argentina. Messi had a "hard path" be he was already objectively great by age 20.
Monzon, Argentina has a rich tradition of boxers. Same with field hockey.
Tennis and racing are individual sports, people come from anywhere and do well.
Basketball is different. It is dominated by the US, ex Yugoslavia, argentina's league is far far away from NBA and Europe and even brasil, and even then, manu was a late bloomer, wasn't even considered special in his own town! And don't forget that manu is from a small town on the other side of the planet. His family lived and breathed basketball for generations, but none of them ever sniffed Europe, national teams, never mind being an NBA legend.

Maradona was better in his sport, but what manu accomplished is more impressive.

PS: I have two boys, Diego and Manu :lol

MB20
08-28-2018, 06:56 AM
PS: I have two boys, Diego and Manu :lol

I have 3 kids. 2 boys and a girl. All of them play basketball.
And they were born in 2003, 2005 and 2007.
Championship years!

Captivus
08-28-2018, 07:28 AM
1. Veron
2. Francescoli (technically, Uruguay is an Argentina province, IMO, FWIW, tbh)
3. DieGOAT
4. Manu
5. DiStefano
6. Monzon
7. Carrasco
8. Goycoechea
9. Burdiso
10. Enzo Perez

Que sinverguenza!!! Jaaaaa

Aguante el Enzo!!!! Esa chilena!!!

kobyz
08-28-2018, 10:14 AM
1. Messi
2. Maradona
3. Batistota
4. Manu
5. Scola

RodrigoTango
08-28-2018, 10:45 AM

This is the thing that I'm trying to explain.

I love Manu but it would be disrespectful to all that great champions and for the sport of my country to say that Ginobili is the best.

In terms of being an undisputed goat, manu is not top 5.
But IMO, manu's success was the most impressive because of its unlikelihood.

And this opinion, which is totally valid, is the one that I do not share.

We cann't say that Ginobili is better than many of those champions "because of its unlikelihood". That is a subjective appreciation.

What are you talking about? All media here said he is #1.
But also naming people like Luciana Aymar who never had any worldwide recognition, could barely beat the Netherlands like 2 out of 11 times.
Monzon was great but not for 16 years.
Who is Vicenzo?
Cambiaso? News channels here have never showed him on a daily basis like they did with Manu, Messi or Tevez.
1 post? Utah Jazz? Fucking Alt.
DATCOREDOE!

No media in Argentina says he is the best Argentine athlete in history.

Manu received a lot of attention yesterday because is retiring and he really was a very important athlete for Argentine basketball, but even when a journalist asks if it can be considered among the best in history, some more experienced sports journalist always comes out to explain the reality.

PS: Mikeanaro: I'm not looking for a debate, but if you don't know De Vicenzo (winner of +230 major golf championships and world champion), Cambiaso (Number 1 on the World Polo Tour ranking for +10 years with +150 titles) or Aymar (was declared the best hockey player in history by the International Hockey Federation) is your problem.

As I say, I love Manu, it's a great player and also an awesome human been. But I will not disrespect the greatest athletes from my country saying that Manu is the best. Argentina has a lot of #1 in their respective sports.

DAF86
08-28-2018, 11:47 AM
So Manu isn't even Top 5 in Argieland?

For many folks he is, for sentimental reasons; but if you look at things objectively, he isn't.

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 11:56 AM
No media in Argentina says he is the best Argentine athlete in history.

Manu received a lot of attention yesterday because is retiring and he really was a very important athlete for Argentine basketball, but even when a journalist asks if it can be considered among the best in history, some more experienced sports journalist always comes out to explain the reality.

PS: Mikeanaro (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=44789): I'm not looking for a debate, but if you don't know De Vicenzo (winner of +230 major golf championships and world champion), Cambiaso (Number 1 on the World Polo Tour ranking for +10 years with +150 titles) or Aymar (was declared the best hockey player in history by the International Hockey Federation) is your problem.

As I say, I love Manu, it's a great player and also an awesome human been. But I will not disrespect the greatest athletes from my country saying that Manu is the best. Argentina has a lot of #1 in their respective sports.
America, TN, Canal 13 and Telefe said he was the #1.
He´s been covered all of his career, also lets be fair, if you say nobody cares about BB here, why would they care about Polo or Golf? rich kids stuff.

For a fact, if you go to any place asking about Ginobili everyone knows who he is, nobody knows about Cambiaso, De Vicenzo, and some may know Aymar who is retired.
Lots of people here have Manu´s jerserys, nobody have Aymar ones or Cambiaso ones.
Lol from what I see here, De Vicenzo was a local phenom, won like 130 argentine tournaments, 62 south american wins and only 8 pga tours.
As for Cambiaso, is all about rich kids... using horses is for faggots.

Titles

Campeonato Argentino (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Argentino_Abierto_de_Polo) (10): 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Abierto de Hurlingham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Abierto_de_Hurlingham) (9): 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Campeonato Abierto de Tortugas (4): 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Copa República Argentina (3): 2006, 2009, 2013
Copa Cámara de Diputados (1): 2006

Achievements and titles

World finals
Abierto de Polo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Argentino_Abierto_de_Polo)
with La Ellerstina: 1994, 1997, 1998

Local phenom.

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 12:16 PM
1. Manu
2. Olmedo
3. Susana
4. Karadagian
5. Tinelli
6. Pergolini
7. Badia
8. Portal
9. Sofovich
10. Porcel

Dont forget Pepe Biondi.

DAF86
08-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Hi!

Aymar is the undisputed GOAT of her sport, tbh.

DAF86
08-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Messi is a proven club only player who needs a dream team around him to shine and does jack shit for his country...and routinely quits on them when they lose. He's a straight up little bitch, literally the Kawhi of soccer. Monzon was a great boxer but his career wasn't long enough. Maradona is drunkard and dope fiend. Fangio was a fucking driver. Manu is God...you fail, tbh.

What were Manu's biggest accomplishments with the NT? Olympic Gold medal and WC runner-up. Exact same shit Messi did.

SpurPadre
08-28-2018, 12:50 PM
What were Manu's biggest accomplishments with the NT? Olympic Gold medal and WC runner-up. Exact same shit Messi did.

No, not same shit. Argentina wasn't expected to win those medals in basketball and Manu single-handedly got those medals for them. In soccer, Argentina was expected to accomplish much, MUCH more but they failed even when the team structured its players and strategy to highlight Messi's strengths. Worst of all is that when they've lost, he quit on the team and country. Just this summer, he decided to leave the NT again after their WC ouster...which is the 3rd time he's quit on the NT. Pathetic, tbh.

DAF86
08-28-2018, 01:03 PM
No, not same shit. Argentina wasn't expected to win those medals in basketball and Manu single-handedly got those medals for them. In soccer, Argentina was expected to accomplish much, MUCH more but they failed even when the team structured its players and strategy to highlight Messi's strengths. Worst of all is that when they've lost, he quit on the team and country. Just this summer, he decided to leave the NT again after their WC ouster...which is the 3rd time he's quit on the NT. Pathetic, tbh.

Wasn't expected because Argentina was never a powerhouse of basketball, but that particular group of players was the best NT in the World at that time. They are called the Golden Generation for a reason. That BB NT >>>>> anything Messi had to play with.

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Exactly, I dont want to see that retard fucker wearing NT again.

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Dont mix things up, BB and Futbol are team sports.
Messi could not even win the WC, always needs stellar players to win in Europe.
The Olympic medal was vs TD AI Lebron Wade and others, Manu had sub par talent, almost none of those guys made shit in the NBA.
And in FIBA championships Spain ducked USA to finish second.

Mechi is a disgrace at 31 years old, Manu is a legend at 41.

SpurPadre
08-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Wasn't expected because Argentina was never a powerhouse of basketball, but that particular group of players was the best NT in the World at that time. They are called the Golden Generation for something. That BB NT >>>>> anything Messi had to play with.

No way. Messi has had to play with a squad full of stars whether he's in the NT or in club play, where he plays with a dream team basically. Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria, Paolo Dybala, Gonzalo Higuain are rightfully considered one of the many stars in a loaded NT. They've been loaded for over a decade. To say Messi has had to carry a bunch of scrubs is highly inaccurate.

DAF86
08-28-2018, 01:30 PM
No way. Messi has had to play with a squad full of stars whether he's in the NT or in club play, where he plays with a dream team basically. Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria, Paolo Dybala, Gonzalo Higuain are rightfully considered one of the many stars in a loaded NT. They've been loaded for over a decade. To say Messi has had to carry a bunch of scrubs is highly inaccurate.

Bunch of overlapping talent while lacking on other key areas. The Golden Generation had elite talent on all positions:

PG: Pepe Sanchez and Montecchia, SG: Manu and Delfino, SF: Nocioni and Herman, PF: Scola, C: Oberto and Wolkowiski.

SpurPadre
08-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Dont mix things up, BB and Futbol are team sports.
Messi could not even win the WC, always needs stellar players to win in Europe.
The Olympic medal was vs TD AI Lebron Wade and others, Manu had sub par talent, almost none of those guys made shit in the NBA.
And in FIBA championships Spain ducked USA to finish second.

Mechi is a disgrace at 31 years old, Manu is a legend at 41.

BINGO.

hater
08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
1. Diego
2. Diego
3. Diegos hand
4. Digos left foot
3. Diegos right foot
4. Batistuta
5. Manu
6. Frodo Baggins :lol

Be serious nigas

As good as Manu is Argentina had some amazing soccer legends tbqh

SpurPadre
08-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Bunch of overlapping talent while lacking on other key areas. The Golden Generation had elite talent on all positions:

PG: Pepe Sanchez and Montecchia, SG: Manu and Delfino, SF: Nocioni and Herman, PF: Scola, C: Oberto and Wolkowiski.

LOL...how many All-Stars were among that group besides God Ginobili? That's right, NONE. Solid players, of course but not "elite" by any stretch of the imagination.

DAF86
08-28-2018, 02:12 PM
LOL...how many All-Stars were among that group besides God Ginobili? That's right, NONE. Solid players, of course but not "elite" by any stretch of the imagination.

Elite for NT competition without a doubt. How many NTs had rosters with 8 or 9 NBA players on it?

Brazil
08-28-2018, 03:18 PM
I'm not argentinean and for instance I have no clue of who is luciana aymar

but as from an outsider I'd only rank Fangio, Messi, Diego, Di Stefano and monzon above him

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 04:24 PM
The thing with Diego is he peaked for 2 years, maybe 3, never won a Champions, no Intercontinental Cups (mundial de clubes), no Copa America.
So outside the WC where he did nothing in the final game, he never made much, people loves to point the Naples crap, Aimar and the Valencia won the league vs stacked he had to face prime Zidane, Ronaldo, twice but who cares.

Same with Mechi, lost twice vs Chile the Copa America, no relevant history with the NT, lots of stuff in Barcelona because he played with a Dream Team, no heart no balls.
Also this last WC he was pathetic, grabbing his head during the national anthem such a disgrace, you can use your legs to run... a quitter, fuck him.

Fangio and Monzon were individual, no team based.
Nobody talked about them before since it was all about Maradroga, so why count them now?

Mikeanaro
08-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Elite for NT competition without a doubt. How many NTs had rosters with 8 or 9 NBA players on it?
Wouldnt say that, when Manu started with the injuries they couldnt make shit.
Also 8 or 9? Scola Nocioni Oberto,
Delfino and Herrmann were benchwarmers.
Thats not elite.

BillMc
08-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Are there any Argentine basketball players in the basketball HOF? Will Manu have a shot at being first?

testies
08-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Who gives a fuck about this country?

anyways heres my list

1-Oscar de la hoya
2-Dos Caras
3-Manure

in2deep
08-28-2018, 05:25 PM

anyways heres my list

1-Oscar de la hoya
2-Dos Caras
3-Manure

Id put El Chapulin at #3 and Manu at 4

daslicer
08-28-2018, 05:34 PM

anyways heres my list

1-Oscar de la hoya
2-Dos Caras
3-Manure

My thoughts exactly.

DAF86
08-28-2018, 08:52 PM
My thoughts exactly.

So, you are a troll? :lol

SpurOutofTownFan
09-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Funny watching Argentinians fighting over this hahaha

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-01-2018, 01:01 PM
I have 3 kids. 2 boys and a girl. All of them play basketball.
And they were born in 2003, 2005 and 2007.
Championship years!

what are you doing on spurstalk??? turn the lights down low and get busy with the spouse STAT

Biggems
09-01-2018, 01:07 PM

Cause they are fans of flopball.

spurs10
09-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Are there any Argentine basketball players in the basketball HOF? Will Manu have a shot at being first? I'm thinking 'yes!' :bobo

BillMc
09-02-2018, 12:51 AM
I'm thinking 'yes!' :bobo

Cool. :fro

99 Problems
09-02-2018, 02:34 AM
A little tale of Fangio.

Many years ago (early 90s) I was at a Mercedes-Benz facility when Fangio visited for a tour. He was shown around by the Hobknobs, meeting and greeting, smiling. Long before anybody had dreamed of selfies etc. He was a little old man with grey hair. Although not a fan of motor sport myself, I knew of all the legends, Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham and Fangio himself etc, Infact there’s oldsaying from growing up ‘steady on Fangio’ to a driver who may be giving it a spurt or cutting a corner hastily etc lol. From memory, Fangio post racing was something like Head of Mercedes South America. Such was his friendliness he spoke openly when an older colleague asked him about the ‘big crash’ many decades earlier which I think Mercedes did not race after for some time.

DMC
09-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Manu

People most Americans have never heard of

Messi

SpurPadre
09-04-2018, 11:11 PM
A glorified Uber driver has no business being ranked in a group of REAL athletes.

lefty20
09-05-2018, 04:19 AM
I'm assuming we're not counting Marathon runners, because why would we?

1. Manu
2. Delpo

3. Scrubs

urunobili
09-05-2018, 09:21 AM
1. Manu
2. Delpo
3. Bati
4. Vilas
5. DiStefano
6. Monzon
7. Fangio
8. Messi
9. Luciana Aymar
10. Diego

Brazil
09-05-2018, 10:16 AM
1. Manu
2. Delpo
3. Bati
4. Vilas
5. DiStefano
6. Monzon
7. Fangio
8. Messi
9. Luciana Aymar
10. Diego

:lol

PingPong
09-05-2018, 03:33 PM
1-Fangio
2-Maradona
3-Manu
4-Sabatini
5-Milincovic, Marco & Aymar, Luciana (tied - both legendary in minor sports.)

DAF86
09-05-2018, 03:40 PM
1-Messi
2-Maradona
3-Fangio
4-Aymar
5-Distefano
6-Monzon
7-Vilas
8-Devicenzo
9-Sabatini
10-Manu

jerseygaucho
09-05-2018, 05:42 PM
1_Maradona by a mile,the best player in his time and better then Messi also.
2_Monzon best boxer
3__messi best ( 2 years back )
4_ fangio 5 time world champ
5 Manu