PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Bigs

TimmyBuckets
08-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Jakob and Chimezie

I'm liking it. Mobile athletic bigs who can give spurs great protection inside, and still be able to switch on the shooter. Paired with the length and athleticism of Murray and Walker, and this is becoming a very promising team.

BackHome
08-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Starting to like our bigs if Mezi can stay healthy and work on his shot he should be good to go. As far as JP people forget he was the 8th pick in first round he will be solid. We also have Nikola who I think the Spurs bring in next year after Gasol is gone.

TimmyBuckets
08-30-2018, 12:13 PM
I think if he improves the 3 ball, Metu can play really well as a 4 right next to Poetl in a bigger, but also mobile and defensive lineup. He should definitely put some meat on the bones, but his mobility allows him to switch on SFs as well.

spurraider21
08-30-2018, 12:18 PM
i like jakob and metu. its gasol that is frustrating right now. i wouldnt mind him as much if he was still a very good post player, but he's just too old. and he shot 34% from the field from 3-10 feet out last season. in his MVPau days with the lakers he was close to 50% from that range. unless he's right at the rim, he's no good anymore. and he wasnt nearly as accurate from 3 last year as he was the year prior, which is why he was actually useful then

if we had managed to keep dedmon instead of pau i'd feel significantly better about the state of our roster

BackHome
08-30-2018, 12:26 PM
It’s possibe we move Gasol I wish we could Nikola would be a upgrade as Gasol is not aging well he should retire after this season

TimmyBuckets
08-30-2018, 12:29 PM
It’s possibe we move Gasol I wish we could Nikola would be a upgrade as Gasol is not aging well he should retire after this season

He'll be easier to move next year b/c he'll be an expiring. Not too worried about him b/c I like the professionalism, experience, rebounding, and elite passing he brings. I don't expect him to have as many minutes either, with Jakob now here.

SpursDynasty85
08-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Our new age small ball line up in 3 years:

White, Murray, Walker, Metu, Poelt'l - I like it.

TimmyBuckets
08-30-2018, 12:46 PM

If all goes perfect, Murray will be a near triple double machine and a very elite defender, Walker will be a Kobe-esque guard with decent D, White will be a better shooting ricky rubio, Metu will be a solid and fast 3 and D big, and Poetl will be a very solid rebounder, runner, and passer

cd021
08-30-2018, 02:08 PM
He'll be easier to move next year b/c he'll be an expiring. Not too worried about him b/c I like the professionalism, experience, rebounding, and elite passing he brings. I don't expect him to have as many minutes either, with Jakob now here.

He will likely be waived and or stretched and waived. I expect LMA, Poeltl, Bertans, Militinov, and Metu to be the big man core next season.

ceperez
08-30-2018, 02:13 PM

Plus Bertans... the Next Generation Spurs look very intriguing!!

High Plains Drifter
08-30-2018, 03:39 PM
So who out of that new age small ball line up would you most likely project to be an all star? At this point I think it has to be Murry for me as we have such a limited sample set to work with, but Walker’s athleticism makes me think his ceiling could be that high.

Not saying any of them will be, just interested in who you think could be.

ceperez
08-30-2018, 03:41 PM
So who out of that new age small ball line up would you most likely project to be an all star? At this point I think it has to be Murry for me as we have such a limited sample set to work with, but Walker’s athleticism makes me think his ceiling could be that high.

Walker seems to have all the attributes to be an all-star. At 18, he's already very strong and athletic.

The Spurs problem is that someone younger than Dejounte may actually be better.

SpursDynasty85
08-30-2018, 03:48 PM

I've seen enough of Dejounte to bet that he will never be an all star. I don't think defense would get you there because Patricl Beverly and Averu Bradley never made one yet. Dejounte turning into an above average starter is probably his ceiling.

White's ceiling is slightly below Murray. Would be great if he turned into a slightly above average starter.

Walker's ceiling is definitely the highest. If he can put together a deadly array of offensive moves to go with that swag and athleticism he can be miniwade 2.0.

TimmyBuckets
08-30-2018, 03:52 PM
I've seen enough of Dejounte to bet that he will never be an all star. I don't think defense would get you there because Patricl Beverly and Averu Bradley never made one yet. Dejounte turning into an above average starter is probably his ceiling.

White's ceiling is slightly below Murray. Would be great if he turned into a slightly above average starter.

Walker's ceiling is definitely the highest. If he can put together a deadly array of offensive moves to go with that swag and athleticism he can be miniwade 2.0.

Definitely agree here.

alpha_HaZE
08-30-2018, 05:33 PM
i like jakob and metu. its gasol that is frustrating right now. i wouldnt mind him as much if he was still a very good post player, but he's just too old. and he shot 34% from the field from 3-10 feet out last season. in his MVPau days with the lakers he was close to 50% from that range. unless he's right at the rim, he's no good anymore. and he wasnt nearly as accurate from 3 last year as he was the year prior, which is why he was actually useful then

if we had managed to keep dedmon instead of pau i'd feel significantly better about the state of our roster

Pau, is maybe the most underappreciated Spurs player. Last season, he was one of the best in the league at protecting the rim. He also shot the 3 very well. His defensive advanced stats were as good as LaMarcus's, and I know more fans will find hard to believe. Regarding his offensive struggles, you are absolutely correct. I could be wrong, but I think it's because of that should injury he had that never really healed which was a result of him playing longer minutes out of neccesity as Kawhi, Rudy, Tony, all missed time due to injuries.

Hopefully, if he is healthier and plays less, his offensive production will go up.

boutons_deux
08-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Jakob and Chimezie

I'm liking it. Mobile athletic bigs who can give spurs great protection inside, and still be able to switch on the shooter. Paired with the length and athleticism of Murray and Walker, and this is becoming a very promising team.

fully, excitedly agreed, some serious salve on the pains of 2018.

TimmyBuckets
08-30-2018, 05:49 PM
Pau, is maybe the most underappreciated Spurs player. Last season, he was one of the best in the league at protecting the rim. He also shot the 3 very well. His defensive advanced stats were as good as LaMarcus's, and I know more fans will find hard to believe. Regarding his offensive struggles, you are absolutely correct. I could be wrong, but I think it's because of that should injury he had that never really healed which was a result of him playing longer minutes out of neccesity as Kawhi, Rudy, Tony, all missed time due to injuries.

Hopefully, if he is healthier and plays less, his offensive production will go up.

boutons_deux
08-30-2018, 06:25 PM
"He also shot the 3 very well" nope: 36%

alpha_HaZE
08-30-2018, 06:31 PM
"He also shot the 3 very well" nope: 36%

That's pretty good, given that our team as a whole struggled beyond the three-point arc. Bruno Passos has a nice article regarding that. Basically, we did not get as many open looks as we usually get. I mean DJ and Kyle did, but not the rest of the team.

sasaint
08-30-2018, 07:51 PM

I don't really like to talk about players' floors and ceilings. Those seem like very subjective projections to me.

Unless Dijon can greatly improve his shot, handles, floor vision and passing he will be a marginal rotation player in the NBA. White did all of those things in the GLeague better than Murray did. If White's shot is the only part of his game that translates to the NBA and Murray fails to develop a very good 3, I would rather have White.

sasaint
08-30-2018, 07:56 PM
He will likely be waived and or stretched and waived. I expect LMA, Poeltl, Bertans, Militinov, and Metu to be the big man core next season.

I am more interested in this season. I hope Pop gives Poodle a legit shot to play ahead of Pau. If he does, the Spurs win. Either Poodle supplants a pretty serviceable Pau, or Pau is pushed into performing well enough to stay ahead of the young guy.

I just hope Pau can deal with Poodle's playing ahead of him if it comes to that.

SpursDynasty85
08-30-2018, 08:21 PM
I don't really like to talk about players' floors and ceilings. Those seem like very subjective projections to me.

Unless Dijon can greatly improve his shot, handles, floor vision and passing he will be a marginal rotation player in the NBA. White did all of those things in the GLeague better than Murray did. If White's shot is the only part of his game that translates to the NBA and Murray fails to develop a very good 3, I would rather have White.

True but floors and ceilings are exactly what you have with Dejounte and White. Parker looked a bit sketchy as a rookie too. Dejounte is only 21 while White is 25. White's floor for instance is already higher than Dejounte but because of Dejounte's athleticism, wingspan, and age he definitely has potential. You would think a 21 year old in the Spurs staff could improve in all those areas you mentioned.

White by sheer athleticism and age imo doesn't have much room to improve anymore. He is a NBA rotation player already to me.

sasaint
08-30-2018, 09:12 PM
True but floors and ceilings are exactly what you have with Dejounte and White. Parker looked a bit sketchy as a rookie too. Dejounte is only 21 while White is 25. White's floor for instance is already higher than Dejounte but because of Dejounte's athleticism, wingspan, and age he definitely has potential. You would think a 21 year old in the Spurs staff could improve in all those areas you mentioned.

White by sheer athleticism and age imo doesn't have much room to improve anymore. He is a NBA rotation player already to me.

I just don't subscribe to the modern view that guys can't make substantial improvement after age 25. The guy will have to improve to play against NBA-level competition - which he has never done yet. But I think his "floor" is very high already, so I expect him to be a very good NBA rotation player.

BackHome
08-30-2018, 09:29 PM
White is going to ball for us this year no doubt

SpurPadre
08-30-2018, 09:29 PM

Way, way too early to say Murray will never be an All-Star.

SpursDynasty85
08-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Way, way too early to say Murray will never be an All-Star.

Yes, but it's my best guess. Being an all star is very hard. Nothing wrong with being above average and still make a 8 figure salary. Lol.

Ice009
08-30-2018, 10:00 PM
How old is Walker? I thought he just turned 19, but I saw in another thread here someone posted ages and listed him as being 20.

ceperez
08-30-2018, 10:01 PM
I just don't subscribe to the modern view that guys can't make substantial improvement after age 25. The guy will have to improve to play against NBA-level competition - which he has never done yet. But I think his "floor" is very high already, so I expect him to be a very good NBA rotation player.

White is a late bloomer. So I wouldn't discount him based on his current age.

cd021
08-30-2018, 11:22 PM

Up until the All-star break, Pau was probably the second best Spur last season.

sasaint
08-31-2018, 12:03 AM
White is going to ball for us this year no doubt

Largely depends on his opportunities.

SpursDynasty85
08-31-2018, 12:07 PM
Anyone else excited that Metu and Poeltl get to be mentored by Gasol, TD, and Manu? Can see some young struggling free agents but with good value and upside wanting to sign on just to have TD and Manu on top of Chip England and the rest of the staff helping to develop. Spurs culture is thriving imo. Mills, Gay, DeRozan, and Aldridge could be the next wave of developers.

r0drig0lac
08-31-2018, 02:00 PM
White is a late bloomer. So I wouldn't discount him based on his current age.

I also do not see how to qualify ceilings on players who have never had real time on court, and White is probably the team's best combo guard in the team now.