PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Phoenix

djohn2oo8
08-30-2018, 11:36 PM

DPG21920
08-30-2018, 11:42 PM
Hate the trade for HOU honestly. This functionally does nothing for their cap situation as far as improving their team in the next 2 years. Sure, Ryan makes 20M for 2 years, but the got back Knight who makes 15M for 2 years so they only netted 5M a year in savings. Which....does nothing from a basketball perspective.

Then beyond that, they gave away their only real young asset/player in Melton and got Chriss who sucks and Knight has not been a positive.

As of now, even though they are still damn good, they are worse than last year, lost most of their wing defense and gave up their best young prospect to save 5M. Maybe they can dump Knight easier than Ryan?

djohn2oo8
08-30-2018, 11:43 PM
Hate the trade for HOU honestly. This functionally does nothing for their cap situation as far as improving their team in the next 2 years. Sure, Ryan makes 20M for 2 years, but the got back Knight who makes 15M for 2 years so they only netted 5M a year in savings. Which....does nothing from a basketball perspective.

Then beyond that, they gave away their only real young asset/player in Melton and got Chriss who sucks and Knight has not been a positive.

As of now, even though they are still damn good, they are worse than last year, lost most of their wing defense and gave up their best young prospect to save 5M. Maybe they can dump Knight easier than Ryan?
Worse than last year how?

DPG21920
08-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Worse than last year how?

Lost their best wing defenders and did nothing to replinish their defense which is what made them so special last year alongside that offense. Their offense didn’t improve really at least not enough to off set the losses on defense.

Then they got way more expensive and less deep.

djohn2oo8
08-30-2018, 11:52 PM
Lost their best wing defenders and did nothing to replinish their defense which is what made them so special last year alongside that offense. Their offense didn’t improve really at least not enough to off set the losses on defense.

Then they got way more expensive and less deep.

Luc blew his damn shoulder out was was trash the second half of the season. (Those who watched know this). James Ennis was signed as an Ariza replacement and Ennis is pretty solid. While those two were good on defense, Jeff Bzdiek is the reason. Luc also did not even play much in the playoffs, his shoulder was broke and still is questionable to this day. Can’t believe people are tripping over Luc and Ariza :lol

djohn2oo8
08-30-2018, 11:53 PM
Oh and Anderson was useless. But somehow trading him made them worse :lol

Reeko_Htown
08-30-2018, 11:53 PM
Chriss is a gamble but he’s got more potential than Melton PERIOD. He was on a garbage team so let’s see how this year goes on a contender. Knight can actually play minutes in the NBA and makes $5 mil less than Anderson.

this is a win in money alone and Chris despite his attitude is a potential defensive playmaker. If the Spurs traded for him people would be all over his potential coming from a bad team.

DPG21920
08-30-2018, 11:58 PM
Chriss is a gamble but he’s got more potential than Melton PERIOD. He was on a garbage team so let’s see how this year goes on a contender. Knight can actually play minutes in the NBA and makes $5 mil less than Anderson.

this is a win in money alone and Chris despite his attitude is a potential defensive playmaker. If the Spurs traded for him people would be all over his potential coming from a bad team.

People upstairs have been crapping on Chriss for the most part. Especially when PHX was rumored to be trading for Kawhi. It’s not that. I’m just giving my opinion. Even Vegas has HOU 10 wins less. It’s not some bias or something and HOU will still be the 2nd seed.

angrydude
08-31-2018, 01:27 AM
Knight is insurance on Paul. Chriss is just potential for catching lobs. > Ryan Anderson was literally unplayable in the playoffs. Melton is a rookie who hasn't proven anything yet.

Also Knight has got to be way more movable than Anderson.

teddygreen
08-31-2018, 03:09 AM
Luc blew his damn shoulder out was was trash the second half of the season. (Those who watched know this). James Ennis was signed as an Ariza replacement and Ennis is pretty solid. While those two were good on defense, Jeff Bzdiek is the reason. Luc also did not even play much in the playoffs, his shoulder was broke and still is questionable to this day. Can’t believe people are tripping over Luc and Ariza :lol

Okay as a clipper fan, this is some discomforting news...

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-31-2018, 05:46 AM

I’m hearing this move was initiated by McDonough and Phoenix, and that Koskoskov had no confidence in Knight or Chriss. Also the Suns really like Melton and feel like Anderson fits into the new coach’s system. We’ll see. I know Koskoskov runs a 3-point heavy shooting offense and likes using a stretch 4, but so does 90% of the NBA now. D’Antoni certainly does, and he couldn’t get Anderson into his rotation. The Suns didn’t have that piece for their offense, and Anderson, at least on paper, provides that at 6’10” and 38% from 3. The Suns now don’t have a point guard, either, so you’d have to think they’re going to be working a second trade. It’s hard to imagine they’d of redone their roster as much as they have this summer just to leave a giant hole at the 1. I guess when you’re as bad as the Suns have been it’s a worthy roll of the dice. Melton could be the hidden gem in the deal.

Knight was all-star caliber on the Bucks, and he’s only 26, so worst-case, he’s likely some insurance at point behind Paul. He doesn’t seem to do well without meaningful minutes, meaning he’s not been one of those spark plug guys off the bench, but maybe on an offensive team as talented as the Rockets that might change for him when he’s inserted into the game. And Chriss had no guidance and little expectation on a tanking Suns team last year. He’s still really young, so there may still be a chance that he can prove he was worth the 8th pick...a cheap gamble for the Rockets. But Houston didn’t make themselves worse, from my perspective, and if Paul battles injuries, Knight might be pretty valuable. No one was wanting to take Anderson off their books, and so, at a minimum, they managed to relieve their roster of $40M of dead weight. Knight probably will see the floor more than Anderson did, and even at $5M less per year he’s likely a more tradable asset.

I’d say it’s a risky win-win for both teams.

DMC
08-31-2018, 07:41 AM
Houston got worse because they picked up Carmelo Anthony. They might as well have signed Kobe Bryant.

djohn2oo8
08-31-2018, 07:42 AM
Houston got worse because they picked up Carmelo Anthony. They might as well have signed Kobe Bryant.
Yet he will still provide more than Anderson

dbestpro
08-31-2018, 08:32 AM
I like the trade for Houston. I see Knight as a PG that can be more easily traded later on the alleviate cap space and Chriss at age 21 could turn into a star with the right coaching.

JMarkJohns
08-31-2018, 08:44 AM
Knight hasn’t played healthy, meaningful basketball in years and when he did he was one of the worst players in the league. These are facts. Not sure how he’s a good backup when he isn’t good or healthy or reliable. He doesn’t do well off-ball.

And his contract isn’t imminently more tradable than Anderson or else a 21-yo lottery pick wouldn’t have needed to be included in the deal to trade him.

Chriss has a lot of untapped upside, and can maybe develop into a starting PF who can dunk, shoot a bit, defend.

But the dude is slow instinctually, and boneheaded, which isn’t a great fit for fast-paced, off-ball system he’ll be playing in where Harden and Paul will need him to identify the gaps in the defense, make a strong move, and either flash or flare for the dunk or three. He’s basically a poor man’s Stromile Swift with 33% 3-point upside.

I wanted the Suns to consider Melton mid-1st and again at 31, so, I’m happy.

Anderson is shit, but he shoots, so, Booker/Ayton have more space. That plus a switchable 6-4 tall, 6-8 wingspan All-Pro Defensive guard who showed potential as a league average shooter in SL is a net gain to me.

Suns aren’t contending, so, hopefully Anderson shows Bender how to be his 2012-2016 version of himself with better defensive upside.

Killakobe81
08-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Well any player is tradeable...now.
I have hope we can unload Deng for a first...
Thx, Rox/Suns!

lefty
08-31-2018, 11:06 AM
:lol Morey
:lol analytics

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-31-2018, 11:48 AM

This was the Rockets bad move of the summer I think. Never been a Carmelo fan...even when he was supposedly great on the Nuggs. He was all stat sheet in NY never created any team success there, and it was obvious the Thunder considered his signing a failed experiment. I'll be shocked if he does anything to help the Rockets win games this year...at least meaningful ones.

JMarkJohns
08-31-2018, 11:48 AM
Anderson just reduced his 2nd season guarantee to match that of outgoing Knight so it actually increases the Suns CAP space for 2019 since Chriss 4th year is off the books.

So, deal gets better and better should the Suns opt to waive Anderson after the year to save the money.

rjv
08-31-2018, 12:11 PM
Houston got worse because they picked up Carmelo Anthony.

spurraider21
08-31-2018, 12:57 PM
this trade doesn't move the needle for houston this year... i think DPG's point was that this move sucks beacuse they are moving melton who has some value and might be a good future piece, without getting enough in return

DPG21920
08-31-2018, 01:01 PM
this trade doesn't move the needle for houston this year... i think DPG's point was that this move sucks beacuse they are moving melton who has some value and might be a good future piece.

Exactly. They lost their best truly young prospect they have had in a long time (since they don’t value development or drafting really) and what did they get? They got no better on the court, they saved money but nothing functionally helpful there and don’t have a lot of means to improve.

They got worse this off season and the one time they really nail a draft pick in recent years, they let him go.

Look at SA in contrast. SA has done just as much winning as HOU has in the past 4 years, but SA has Murray, Lonnie, White, Poeltl & Metu to show for it. HOU has a bare prospect cupboard and they are capped out as hell.

HOU is definitely better right now than SA and they have Harden/CP but man.

DPG21920
08-31-2018, 01:04 PM
I”m interested: To the HOU fans that think HOU got better how many wins do you see them with this season? They won 65 last season and if they got better, where do you see them win/loss wise?

TD 21
08-31-2018, 04:30 PM
It's funny seeing the many Morey ass kissers in the media attempting to spin trading a prospect they were hyping up for 2 players they've repeatedly shit on as some sort of genius move . . .

- If Knight sticks as a rotation player, it'll be at the expense of Green, which means equally bad defense with less size on the wings and less explosive 3-point shooting.
- Chriss will inevitably be converted into a rim running C, competing with Nene for backup minutes. Maybe he turns his career around playing for an elite team, but he looks like a classic bust, on the fast track to the fringe of the league.

- I'd imagine the Suns trade for Beverley or Teodosic (despite Rivers' aversion to playing rookies, I doubt management wants them buried) to serve as a stopgap starting PG.
- Anderson's addition means less small ball PF minutes for their myriad wings, which probably means chemistry issues at least until Ariza is traded/bought out.

DMC
08-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Yet he will still provide more than Anderson

They said he'd provide more than Oladipo in OKC. They said.

DMC
08-31-2018, 05:49 PM
Knight hasn’t played healthy, meaningful basketball in years and when he did he was one of the worst players in the league. These are facts. Not sure how he’s a good backup when he isn’t good or healthy or reliable. He doesn’t do well off-ball.

And his contract isn’t imminently more tradable than Anderson or else a 21-yo lottery pick wouldn’t have needed to be included in the deal to trade him.

Chriss has a lot of untapped upside, and can maybe develop into a starting PF who can dunk, shoot a bit, defend.

But the dude is slow instinctually, and boneheaded, which isn’t a great fit for fast-paced, off-ball system he’ll be playing in where Harden and Paul will need him to identify the gaps in the defense, make a strong move, and either flash or flare for the dunk or three. He’s basically a poor man’s Stromile Swift with 33% 3-point upside.

I wanted the Suns to consider Melton mid-1st and again at 31, so, I’m happy.

Anderson is shit, but he shoots, so, Booker/Ayton have more space. That plus a switchable 6-4 tall, 6-8 wingspan All-Pro Defensive guard who showed potential as a league average shooter in SL is a net gain to me.

Suns aren’t contending, so, hopefully Anderson shows Bender how to be his 2012-2016 version of himself with better defensive upside.

lose all dung