PDA

View Full Version : German Angst

FlAVaK
09-06-2018, 06:00 AM
According to a recent study (https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/aengste-der-deutschen-101.html) performed on behalf of an insurance company, Germans fear the following the most:

69% Trump and the global results of his "policies" and overall behaviour

63% Refugee burden

63% Tensions between Germans and Foreigners

59% Terror

56% Natural disasters

https://www.ruv.de/static-files/ruvde/downloads/presse/aengste-der-deutschen/grafiken/StaticFiles_Auto/ruv-aengste-plaetze-1-10.jpg

https://www.ruv.de/presse/aengste-der-deutschen/grafiken-die-aengste-der-deutschen

boutons_deux
09-06-2018, 06:23 AM
The Nazis are on the rise in Germany, fueled by xenophobia from all the M/E refugees created by Repugs/BigOil invading Iraq for money.

hater
09-06-2018, 09:25 AM
Of course they fear Trump as he wants to confront the EU on economies and the EU is basically run from Berlin

FrostKing
09-11-2018, 12:41 AM
Ponder those results and consider how brainwashed the average German is

What's the worst damage Trump's rhetoric could do to the average German?
What's the worst damage Erdogan's rhetoric could do to the average German?

Hint: Erdogan could unleash a civil war

Comedian was arrested (then released) for ridiculing Erdogan but Trump is everyones punching bag over there. For a soon to be multicultural nation, Germany doesn't have a healthy left vs right divide like in America. White people are expected to be submissive athiests but minority groups can do whatever they please.

ElNono
09-11-2018, 12:47 AM
when the economy is not in the top 3, you're doing pretty good

Quadzilla99
09-11-2018, 12:56 AM
Ponder those results and consider how brainwashed the average German is

What's the worst damage Trump's rhetoric could do to the average German?
What's the worst damage Erdogan's rhetoric could do to the average German?

Hint: Erdogan could unleash a civil war

Comedian was arrested (then released) for ridiculing Erdogan but Trump is everyones punching bag over there. For a soon to be multicultural nation, Germany doesn't have a healthy left vs right divide like in America. White people are expected to be submissive athiests but minority groups can do whatever they please.

People don't agree with me :cry

Must be brainwashed :cry

:cry only possible explanation :cry

:cry :cry :cry

FrostKing
09-11-2018, 01:06 AM
People don't agree with me :cry

Must be brainwashed :cry

:cry only possible explanation :cry

:cry :cry :cry
Native Germans are one of the most order and authority based people in the World. There isn't a revolt bone in their body. As my German-Turk friend told me: as long as you give them a sausage and beer after work they are satisfied

When I was in Germany, their weekly exposure to Trump is the 3 biggest talking points (ridicules) from CNN/BBC. They literally have no conservative mainstream outlet in Germany. None. Being so far from the USA makes it difficult for them to grasp everyday concerns of Americans

I think Germans are an intelligent people just sort of programmed. This is why they are not known as great coders unlike Slavs. They lack the imagination. Better straight line problem solvers

Chucho
09-11-2018, 02:23 AM
Never trust a country that chooses the world as its enemy, let alone doing that twice.

pgardn
09-11-2018, 07:07 AM
I found this opinion piece interesting as most of us don’t live there.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/why-it-is-time-for-germany-to-stop-romanticizing-russia-a-963284.html

The Germans I have met are absolutely ashamed of the WWs. So this is interesting.

DMX7
09-11-2018, 01:50 PM
when the economy is not in the top 3, you're doing pretty good

The top two are pretty related to the economy.

SpursforSix
09-11-2018, 02:31 PM
What it doesn't say is how much they fear those things.

SpursforSix
09-11-2018, 02:35 PM
The Germans I have met are absolutely ashamed of the WWs. So this is interesting.

Same experience. We hosted a group of about 20 several years ago and they commented that they don't have any real sense of national pride.
Or at least they were always very subdued in showing it.

DarrinS
09-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Never trust a country that chooses the world as its enemy, let alone doing that twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXdtafGdIVM

FrostKing
09-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Same experience. We hosted a group of about 20 several years ago and they commented that they don't have any real sense of national pride.
Or at least they were always very subdued in showing it.
It changed a bit after the 2006 World Cup which is credited with making it socially acceptable for Germans to show national pride for the first time (post WW2)

Germany's situation is awkward because their Turkish population is very nationally prideful even if they are born in Germany. Why should Turks integrate to a culture that is ashamed of itself?

Chucho
09-11-2018, 05:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXdtafGdIVM

Yup, that's the bit.

Spurtacular
09-11-2018, 06:59 PM
The Nazis are on the rise in Germany, fueled by xenophobia from all the M/E refugees created by Repugs/BigOil invading Iraq for money.

:cry Muslims are good :cry
:cry Salt of the earth :cry

Spurtacular
09-11-2018, 07:03 PM
It changed a bit after the 2006 World Cup which is credited with making it socially acceptable for Germans to show national pride for the first time (post WW2)

Germany's situation is awkward because their Turkish population is very nationally prideful even if they are born in Germany. Why should Turks integrate to a culture that is ashamed of itself?

Cos fuck the Turks. What do they got to be so proud of?

FrostKing
09-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Cos fuck the Turks. What do they got to be so proud of?
Great food, pretty women, and some very historical areas/sites on their land

Just saying it's a horrible combo in this regard: Germans are submissive and Turks quite aggressive. A combo of Germans + Japs would be an epic nation of engineering discoveries.

But for a Non-German like my sister she likes the spice Turks bring to Germany because it can be a cold calculated society

ElNono
09-11-2018, 07:36 PM
The top two are pretty related to the economy.

The first one is outside their control, tbh, the 2nd one I think has more to do with identity than economy...

FrostKing
09-12-2018, 01:29 AM
The first one is outside their control, tbh, the 2nd one I think has more to do with identity than economy...
Technically #2 and #3 are tied

I think #3 is identity but #2 could very well be economic as Merkel is using German surplus (Germans are super savors almost to the extent that it stagnates growth) on migrant integration versus for example modernizing infrastructure that is beginning to be outdated. The failure of the Berlin airport kinda illustrates how "Made in Germany" isn't quite what it use to be. For us Americans it overall is still impressive but in comparison to Switzerland or Austria, it has slipped and there is no signs of German authorities making improvement a priority.

-> I don't want to side track but the large influx of non-European migrants has forced Germany to for example lower it's academic standards to make room for more Arabic teachers and care takers. Now Germany either has to import Native speakers (most will have lower skills of German born & raised) OR Germans have to now focus on learning Arabic. Either way I don't think this is the best path for Germany. Wouldn't it be far more useful to learn an Asian dialect? This focus on Arabic hasn't seemed to do France much benefit.

ElNono
09-12-2018, 04:43 AM
The refugee situation is a crisis, it's not a permanent policy, tbh... It speaks very well of Germany that they assume their part in helping a situation in which they were involved, and conversely, speaks pretty badly of countries that caused havoc and then don't want to deal with the fallout.

Economically, they pretty much rule the EU and the Eurobank, as we've seen during the Greek financial crisis.

That leaves the cultural concerns, which are legitimate to an extent, but while it might be relatively new to Germany, it has happened to almost every non-Euro country during the world wars, and they all, sooner or later, adapted.

At some point Germany is just going to close immigration purely for practical purposes (there's so much people you can take in). Happened to the US during World War II, etc. But they can always look back and see they did their part, and that's commendable.