PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury claims Popovich wanted him to fake injury during the '04 Olympics

daslicer
09-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Stephon states during the Olympics the tension between him and Larry Brown was pretty bad. It got to a point where Larry Brown wanted him off the team so Brown sent Pop to deal with Marbury. According to Marbury, Pop suggested to Marbury that he could leave Team USA and they would say he left because he had a knee injury.

zYnVTGty8Vk

TimmyBuckets
09-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Fuck this dirtball and every attention-seeking whore like him.

Keepin' it real
09-06-2018, 11:19 AM
This would have been newsworthy 14 years ago ...

daslicer
09-06-2018, 11:21 AM
This would have been newsworthy 14 years ago ...

It's the off season so I felt it was worth posting.

Dverde
09-06-2018, 11:38 AM
I couldn’t imagine being the go between Larry Brown and Starbury/Iverson. Pop offered him an easy out of a complicated situation. Nothing shady with that.

Truth4sale$
09-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Steph who...curry or another Steph, I don't recall another successful Steph in the last 10 yrs

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-06-2018, 12:48 PM
WGAF about Starbury. At least they didn't send in Jeff Gillooly to bash his kneecaps.

superbigtime
09-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Big head, no brain.

Immortal Spur
09-06-2018, 06:32 PM
who cares lol.

Dex
09-06-2018, 06:47 PM
He'd have more room to talk if he wasn't one of the main reasons that the '04 Olympic team failed to gold.

He played fucking awful in Athens. If I was Pop or Brown, I would have told him to GTFO too.

duncan2k5
09-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Yall being very biased on this one... Wrong is wrong...

itzkarl813
09-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Are you getting that Pop told Kawhi the same thing?

TimmyBuckets
09-06-2018, 07:23 PM

:lmao

Kobe'sAchilles
09-06-2018, 07:32 PM
Probably because Starbury is a ball hogging chucker who thinks that just because he's good at one on one that he deserved to be the man on Team USA. This is also coming from the dude who thought he was better than Garnett. Self awareness isn't his cup of tea.

TDMVPDPOY
09-06-2018, 07:43 PM
when ur olympic roster backcourt has 2 identical players who play the same style chucking b allhog without a jumpshot...lol that team basically had no shooters who can spread the floor

duncan2k5
09-06-2018, 07:47 PM
The issue isn't how good he was as a player... A coach should never ask a player to fake an injury... If this were any other situation, yall would say the coach was wrong... If coach K wanted Duncan to fake an injury because someone else didn't want him to play, we ALL would have a problem with that

daslicer
09-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Are you getting that Pop told Kawhi the same thing?

That's what Marbury said made me think of. There was a report in which Pop had asked Kawhi and his people if they could just say he was out for the whole entire year.

FireMicoHalili
09-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Fuck this dirtball and every attention-seeking whore like him.
Player who thought he was bigger than he was. Similar to Jax. I think they don’t know no one cares about their washed out careers.

phxspurfan
09-06-2018, 10:00 PM
attention whore

SpursDynasty85
09-06-2018, 10:06 PM
The issue isn't how good he was as a player... A coach should never ask a player to fake an injury... If this were any other situation, yall would say the coach was wrong... If coach K wanted Duncan to fake an injury because someone else didn't want him to play, we ALL would have a problem with that

It was a suggestion to amicably and quietly remove yourself from the team. Looks like Marbury could've helped the team win by leaving. It would've looked much better for him than leaving because of coaching reasons. He ended up not doing that and the coaches let him play. What's the big deal? He is being a straight drama queen. The reason Team USA succeeds when talent comes together and plays unselfishly and makes it about the team. Player has to listen to coach at the USA basketball level.

InRareForm
09-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Shut up marbury

Russ
09-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Marbury seems to lack credibiility based upon his entire body of work while existing on this planet.

Spur|n|Austin
09-06-2018, 10:37 PM
I heard Outkast wrote ATLiens about his head

ducks
09-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Liberals like to fake things all the time would not supprise me at all with pop

in2deep
09-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Thats very nice of Pop

rastaspur
09-06-2018, 11:39 PM
They were trying to give that crazy bastard an avenue to save face. Kicking him off the team for being a ball hogging lunatic would be the harsher option

duncan2k5
09-07-2018, 12:35 AM
It's crazy how u guys spin stuff depending on the player... If another coach did this to Timmy, we would lose our shit

Spurtacular
09-07-2018, 12:45 AM
I know a bull shitter when I see one.

BillMc
09-07-2018, 12:51 AM
who cares lol.

Phenomanul
09-07-2018, 10:11 AM
It's crazy how u guys spin stuff depending on the player... If another coach did this to Timmy, we would lose our shit

We would because someone with Tim's class and demeanor would never put himself in such a position to begin with. It's a catch 22, what-if type paradox. No one would have to even attempt to tell someone like Tim Duncan that because that situation would never present itself. Marbury has been problematic everywhere he goes. Why do you insist on trying to defend douchebaggery?

This very premise is explored in Billy Crystal's "Forget Paris" movie. In the movie Billy Crystal is an NBA ref, and tosses David Robinson from a game. The situation is comically hysterical only because of the absurdity of the premise where the league's finest Statesman would ever be tossed from a game. Everybody naturally loses it and so he tosses everyone out of the game. He is subsequently removed from the league due to the "mental breakdown" moment.

wildbill2u
09-07-2018, 10:44 AM
My guess is that the conversation might have gone like this: Stephan, you obviously aren't willing to follow the directions of the head coach. That can't be allowed to continue. So you have a choice. Either get with the program or you're off the team. If you don't choose option one and be a team player, then we could let you say you had an injury instead of being kicked off.

TimmyBuckets
09-07-2018, 10:46 AM

:lmao

bklynspursfan
09-07-2018, 11:43 AM

If it meant not putting forth major player/coach relationship issues publicly and bringing more drama to that team? Who cares how/why TD (hypothetically) left, if he said it was due to injury and it didn't create any further drama/distractions to him or the team? Win/win... you're putting too much thought into it.

Dex
09-07-2018, 01:29 PM
If it meant not putting forth major player/coach relationship issues publicly and bringing more drama to that team? Who cares how/why TD (hypothetically) left, if he said it was due to injury and it didn't create any further drama/distractions to him or the team? Win/win... you're putting too much thought into it.

I don't think he puts too much thought into anything tbh.

Geo210SpursSanAnto.
09-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Would he rather have had more scrutiny from the media as to why he was "let go" from the team as to him not passing the ball and having diva outbursts during practice... Therefore drastically lowering his stock? Pop basically saved his ass, he should actually be thanking pop for geting another contract in the league....

spurraider21
09-07-2018, 01:51 PM

TimmyBuckets
09-07-2018, 02:22 PM

lmao!

acoelho1
09-07-2018, 08:08 PM

It’s crazy how you think this is a true story.

RD2191
09-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Would he rather have had more scrutiny from the media as to why he was "let go" from the team as to him not passing the ball and having diva outbursts during practice... Therefore drastically lowering his stock? Pop basically saved his ass, he should actually be thanking pop for geting another contract in the league....

Pretty much. Pop was doing him a favor.

Ice009
09-07-2018, 10:42 PM

I'm sorry, but I didn't have a problem with defending Kawhi, however this statement is making me think that you are one stupid fuck (I didn't want to say this, but you defending Marbury is just stupid).

Open you eyes and look at who the player is saying this. He's not known for being stable. He's known as being a selfish player. Are you really going to believe that Pop did him wrong. He tried to help him save face rather than cutting him and making him look bad. They should have just booted him off the team.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-07-2018, 10:42 PM
marbury right about the predatory shoe company culture tbh tbh

Mr. Body
09-07-2018, 11:58 PM
marbury right about the predatory shoe company culture tbh tbh

Who the fuck isn't right about that?

Ice009
09-08-2018, 12:09 AM
Who the fuck isn't right about that?

LOL. Only the top minds can figure out something like that.

Since89
09-08-2018, 03:10 AM
Pop such a stand up dude that he did the same for Kawhi.

spurs50_
09-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Never liked old water head.

Vito Corleone
09-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Explain to me how it is wrong to suggest a way for a guy to leave without hurting his image. Clearly he wasn't getting along with Brown and Brown was the one calling the shots, not Pop. All Pop did was offer a suggestion to help both sides save face.

Marbury was never known for being a smart guy. My guess is this coming out now has something to do with Kawhi situation.

pgardn
09-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Especially since we now know Marbury is a conservative and staunch supporter of Trump.
Trump and his supporters don’t like to fake things, truth rules.

ducks...

oh ducks...

It’s so clear now.

duncan2k5
09-08-2018, 11:19 PM
You don't make a player fake an injury EVER... that hurts the player's stock, AND if u don't want him on the team, be a man and take him off... He clearly was offended to be told to fake an injury... Own up to ur decision to kick him off... My guess is the coaches just didn't want to look bad

Kobe'sAchilles
09-09-2018, 12:16 AM
I dont know why Duncan2k5 still pretends to be a Spurs fan tbh. This whole outrage at Marburys supposed claim is just weird. Firstly, Pop wasn't in charge during the Olympics, Larry brown was so the anger should be with him. Second, when your boss tells you to do something, you kinda do it. That's how the whole hierarchy thing goes. So once again Pop did nothing wrong. Third, maybe Pop did want him off the team but couldn't actually act on it since once again he wasn't in charge. You would have to ask him though and get his side of the story. And lastly this whole comparing Marbury to Duncan thing has to stop. Its disrespectful to even bring up duncan. Its akin to saying you're angry bc Pop benched Forbes and pop would NEVER bench duncan so how can he bench Forbes. Just change your team and alt already

Bynumite
09-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Poop trying to scapegoat Marbury :lol

Jim Duncan being the system player that he is, was a failure outside the spurs. Jim disgraced himself and his country with a shit stained bronze medal, he then proceeded to quit on team usa for the rest of his career like a combat deserter. Shameful and dishonorable act of treason.

Thank God team leader Kobe stepped in and made things right in 2008. Salute to Kobe Bean Bryant, a true patriot and american hero :toast

james evans
09-09-2018, 08:42 PM
of course they are. Popovich is never wrong lol. From the thread title, I knew what this thread would turn into. If you notice, not one person in here claimed he was lying, they're just mad that he's telling the truth.

james evans
09-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Explain to me how it is wrong to suggest a way for a guy to leave without hurting his image. Clearly he wasn't getting along with Brown and Brown was the one calling the shots, not Pop. All Pop did was offer a suggestion to help both sides save face.

Marbury was never known for being a smart guy. My guess is this coming out now has something to do with Kawhi situation.
Those $15 shoes made him millions upon millions. And they had great ankle support.

Phenomanul
09-10-2018, 08:59 AM
You don't make a player fake an injury EVER... that hurts the player's stock, AND if u don't want him on the team, be a man and take him off... He clearly was offended to be told to fake an injury... Own up to ur decision to kick him off... My guess is the coaches just didn't want to look bad

Being kicked off of a team for being a knuckle-head ALSO hurts the player's stock... moreso in fact.

I agree that asking a player to fake an injury to save face is probably not the most morally defensible act. Still I contend that you are making mountains out of mole hills.

exstatic
09-10-2018, 12:28 PM
If Pop didn't do this, and Marbury got kicked off the team, the shtick would be "Pop did nothing to help him!". There's just no pleasing some people.

DPG21920
09-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Poop trying to scapegoat Marbury :lol

Jim Duncan being the system player that he is, was a failure outside the spurs. Jim disgraced himself and his country with a shit stained bronze medal, he then proceeded to quit on team usa for the rest of his career like a combat deserter. Shameful and dishonorable act of treason.

Thank God team leader Kobe stepped in and made things right in 2008. Salute to Kobe Bean Bryant, a true patriot and american hero :toast

You having to root for Lebron after saying this :lol

ducks
09-10-2018, 04:27 PM
If Pop didn't do this, and Marbury got kicked off the team, the shtick would be "Pop did nothing to help him!". There's just no pleasing some people.

no shit with all the positives with the numbers people are still bitching about trump

testies
09-12-2018, 07:17 PM
LMAO why did they even call up Stephon?

I bet it was Popovic's decision. "No Larry, call up Stephon. We'll make it work". And then alpha Larry made him go talk to him about faking an injury.. haha he probably didnt even mean it

pgardn
09-12-2018, 08:44 PM

No.

Really.

Just No.

Thats not happening.

Russ
09-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Not necessarily.

If a coach told TD he couldn't play him but wanted to give a graceful out, he might tell Tim "if you tell the press you're injured, I won't dispute it."

That would be trying to protect Tim's reputation, legend and prideful man that he is, from an unfortunate situation.