PDA

View Full Version : Tony: Spurs offered me the same contract, it was about the role.

SAGirl
09-10-2018, 01:19 PM

No surprises there.

Robz4000
09-10-2018, 01:21 PM
So Tony saved the Spurs from themselves? :worthy: HotS :worthy:

gambit1990
09-10-2018, 01:30 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/11QJgcchgwskq4/giphy.gif

rjv
09-10-2018, 01:35 PM

he just moved up a notch for me.

TimmyBuckets
09-10-2018, 02:21 PM

he just moved up a notch for me.

Chinook
09-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Actually increased my opinion of Pop a bit. It means he told Tony they were going to go young at the position. If it had been about money, then PATFO could have used that excuse, but it wasn't. My guess is that Pop suggested something similar to Manu as well. Everything about this off-season suggests Pop is comfortable going with Murray and White as the primary PGs. Gotta give this young group of guards a chance to prove the Spurs right. This change has been in the works for a few years now.

Stabula
09-10-2018, 03:05 PM
MVParker being alpha as usual

james evans
09-10-2018, 03:22 PM
exactly!! Thank God for Parker's ego

lefty
09-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Parker's offensive playbook :

Dribble dribble dribble

DMC
09-10-2018, 04:18 PM
I think he meant "it was about the rolls".

ducks
09-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Dribble dribble dribble
just rember the titles with tp as the engine

phxspurfan
09-10-2018, 05:02 PM

Dribble dribble dribble

Same as Kemba, so they'll fit right in together!

gospursgojas
09-10-2018, 05:11 PM
I think he meant "it was about the rolls".

Lolz

dabom
09-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Porker threads so fun. :lol

Dex
09-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Actually increased my opinion of Pop a bit. It means he told Tony they were going to go young at the position. If it had been about money, then PATFO could have used that excuse, but it wasn't. My guess is that Pop suggested something similar to Manu as well. Everything about this off-season suggests Pop is comfortable going with Murray and White as the primary PGs. Gotta give this young group of guards a chance to prove the Spurs right. This change has been in the works for a few years now.

Spot on.

Sounds like the Spurs gave him a fair offer considering his tenure, but told him that didn't include playing time.

Parker obviously feels like he still has more in the tank, and wants to show it. It remains to be seen if that is the truth.

As much as it sucks for the Big 3 era to be officially over, I'm glad to see guys like White, in particular, have their chance.

ElNono
09-10-2018, 07:28 PM
IOW, it was all about his ego... no surprises there...

Othyus Lalanne
09-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Nothing wrong with his ego. Spurs fans have no reason to complain. It worked out.

Spurtacular
09-11-2018, 02:36 AM

Doubt it. Manu could play; Tony cannot. And Manu had already found his niche; nothing needed to change.

J_Paco
09-11-2018, 03:05 AM
Doubt it. Manu could play; Tony cannot. And Manu had already found his niche; nothing needed to change.

I'm sorry, but Manu has been a shadow of himself the last three or four seasons (look at his numbers) too. He looked absolutely washed at 35 during the 2012/13 season, but had a resurgent performances in the next season's Finals. Still, he never looked anywhere as good after the fact (IMHO).

It was time for the old dog to go under the porch and die whether the Manu circle jerk wants to admit it or not.

It is sad to see the Big 3 Era end yet I'm happy Tony left and Manu retired. The team had to push forward with the young guards and leave Manu/Tony in the past.

PlayBoban
09-11-2018, 07:51 AM
Porker quit the team. Traitor! :cry

Mugen
09-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Best assist that TP has ever had for the Spurs tbh.

spursparker9
09-11-2018, 09:12 AM
At least he cleared the air that he will not be back in SA to play his final season

TDMVPDPOY
09-11-2018, 09:24 AM
the way i look at it the money set aside for the 3yr loyalty contract he received shouldve been patty mills, now we are stuck with mills stupid contract spurs cant even get rid off...

as for enrique...shouldve retired or left the team after that 5th ring, he was holding back the spurs or still trying to coatride whatever to another ring to get his individual 5 rings...

Kobe'sAchilles
09-11-2018, 02:05 PM
MVParker still carrying the franchise tbh

SpursDynasty85
09-11-2018, 02:35 PM
the way i look at it the money set aside for the 3yr loyalty contract he received shouldve been patty mills, now we are stuck with mills stupid contract spurs cant even get rid off...

as for enrique...shouldve retired or left the team after that 5th ring, he was holding back the spurs or still trying to coatride whatever to another ring to get his individual 5 rings...

That was Parker's first (team side)loyalty contract. All the contracts before that was Parker giving the Spurs a discount. I am glad he did not resign with the Spurs on this one though. There is no room for him on our roster. Patty Mills is arguably not needed as well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Dude wants to play...can't blame him for that.

Not sure he'll see as much playing time as he thinks, but my guess is that Borrego will at least give him a shot early on. For his sake I hope the wheels haven't completely come off, but he looked more done last season than Duncan did in TD's last go-round.

bklynspursfan
09-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Dude wants to play...can't blame him for that.

Not sure he'll see as much playing time as he thinks, but my guess is that Borrego will at least give him a shot early on. For his sake I hope the wheels haven't completely come off, but he looked more done last season than Duncan did in TD's last go-round.

Agreed. Prior to his quad injury, he was still serviceable, and showed real flashes at times. Obviously not consistent anymore, but if he can get back to how he was pre-quad injury, he could have a nice little role there. I'm hoping he plays well

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Agreed. Prior to his quad injury, he was still serviceable, and showed real flashes at times. Obviously not consistent anymore, but if he can get back to how he was pre-quad injury, he could have a nice little role there. I'm hoping he plays well

Me too. The last of the Big 3...sad to see 'em go. I want to see some of the old Tony, as the era ends with him, and I'd love to see him help his team to the playoffs and get the props he's due. Planning to catch a couple of Hornets' games live this year to cheer him on.

gambit1990
09-11-2018, 04:49 PM
Agreed. Prior to his quad injury, he was still serviceable, and showed real flashes at times.
:lol

his "flashes" weren't worth the liability he constantly was on defense.

the dude is done but at least he'll look less done in the scrub conference instead of being in the loaded west.

lefty
09-11-2018, 05:38 PM
You mispelled Tim Duncan

Spurtacular
09-11-2018, 05:46 PM
I'm sorry, but Manu has been a shadow of himself the last three or four seasons (look at his numbers) too. He looked absolutely washed at 35 during the 2012/13 season, but had a resurgent performances in the next season's Finals. Still, he never looked anywhere as good after the fact (IMHO).

It was time for the old dog to go under the porch and die whether the Manu circle jerk wants to admit it or not.

It is sad to see the Big 3 Era end yet I'm happy Tony left and Manu retired. The team had to push forward with the young guards and leave Manu/Tony in the past.

Nobody would be arguing 2018 Manu is like 2008 Manu. But if you weren't paying attention to this guy's brilliance even in his golden years, then it's probably cos you're a shitty fan / troll, tbh.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-11-2018, 05:49 PM
eff kawhi

ducks
09-11-2018, 11:48 PM
You mispelled Tim Duncan

Duncan was not engine

Brazil
09-12-2018, 08:31 AM
You have a dude who refused to play for a salary of 20 M and you have Tony who wants to play more for the same salary

:lol today's NBA

SanAntonioSpurs
09-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Duncan was the engine. Even in the years Timmy was not the finals mvp and we rang, TD was the best Spur in the playoffs. First year Timmy is out we did not win 50 games.

Dex
09-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Duncan was the engine. Even in the years Timmy was not the finals mvp and we rang, TD was the best Spur in the playoffs. First year Timmy is out we did not win 50 games.

General consensus has always been that Duncan was the foundation, Tony was the engine, and Manu was the heart.

Of course, these are all one-word euphemisms that don't actually mean anything.

J_Paco
09-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Nobody would be arguing 2018 Manu is like 2008 Manu. But if you weren't paying attention to this guy's brilliance even in his golden years, then it's probably cos you're a shitty fan / troll, tbh.

Didn't say he had zero great plays or magical moments, shit he helped drag the team to the playoffs in a few key wins, but that his play has been very uneven the last 4 or 5 years.

His days of being a great playmaker and consistent scorer off the bench were long gone. Hoping a 41 year old to comeback for "nostaglia" is/was silly.

Also, even though Tony's decline was a lot more drastic and evident (he's barely a NBA player now), I'm also putting out the parallels in their slip in play/production.

Duncan held up the best and for a longer duration of the 3. Ginobili benefited from having his role gradually reduced and his slip in play not being as dramatic (as Parker).

MultiTroll
09-12-2018, 09:59 AM
"I vil do whatever Pop wants me to do."

3 years too late Crater Face finally decides to bench him and we see his fake *team 1st* was bullshit.

J_Paco
09-12-2018, 10:28 AM

3 years too late Crater Face finally decides to bench him and we see his fake *team 1st* was bullshit.

Come on, he's moved on to a different situation so the "fans" should too. He saved the team $5 million over the next two years for him doing practically nothing.

It'll also hopefully speed up the development of White & Walker not having Manu & Tony around (barring injury I see Walker playing mostly in G League this season).

lefty
09-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Duncan was not engine

He was everything

Engine, oil, glue, anchor, etc etc

manufan10
09-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Wasn't that the general consensus when he left anyway? He didn't leave because of money but due to the fact that he wasn't going to get as much playing time as he wanted. Good luck to him in Charlotte. I hope he gets what he wants.

Seventyniner
09-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Come on, he's moved on to a different situation so the "fans" should too. He saved the team $5 million over the next two years for him doing practically nothing.

Exactly. If Parker had signed the same contract with the Spurs, these same posters would be shitting on him for taking the team's money. Parker haters gonna Parker hate.

bklynspursfan
09-12-2018, 11:39 AM
:lol

his "flashes" weren't worth the liability he constantly was on defense.

the dude is done but at least he'll look less done in the scrub conference instead of being in the loaded west.

For a backup PG? Sure they were...

RD2191
09-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Othyus Lalanne
09-12-2018, 12:19 PM

What is not team first about moving on and openning up a sopot for a young player who could play for 15 years or whatever? RC is a magician.

SpurPadre
09-12-2018, 01:35 PM
The real difference was that none of the players offered TP their wives, tbh.

gambit1990
09-12-2018, 03:18 PM
For a backup PG? Sure they were...
:lol no. his VORP was -.06 last year.

gambit1990
09-12-2018, 03:21 PM
tony never said the spurs offered as much $ as the hornets. he said the spurs offered something similar. i think the spurs offered two years but for less money.

either way, it's moot.

MultiTroll
09-12-2018, 03:50 PM
What is not team first about moving on and openning up a sopot for a young player who could play for 15 years or whatever? RC is a magician.
Parker didn't move on to open up a spot for a younger player.

Had he done this 4 years earlier then groovy. 2015 2016 2017 playoffs please.

Porkers reg seasons he had plenty of good games and was doing his role well a good portion of the time, I'll give him that.

RC is a complete retard and/or a company puppet for the Gasol and Mills ship sinkers.

bklynspursfan
09-12-2018, 04:13 PM
:lol no. his VORP was -.06 last year.

You realize I was talking about pre-quad injury right? Put the haterade down for a sec if you can. He was a positive offensive player, and for a backup, that would be considered acceptable by most

gambit1990
09-12-2018, 04:16 PM
You realize I was talking about pre-quad injury right? Put the haterade down for a sec if you can. He was a positive offensive player, and for a backup, that would be considered acceptable by most
my bad, you did say pre-quad injury... pre-quad injury ('16-'17) his VORP was -.04 :lol

Spurtacular
09-12-2018, 05:56 PM
Didn't say he had zero great plays or magical moments, shit he helped drag the team to the playoffs in a few key wins, but that his play has been very uneven the last 4 or 5 years.

His days of being a great playmaker and consistent scorer off the bench were long gone. Hoping a 41 year old to comeback for "nostaglia" is/was silly.

Also, even though Tony's decline was a lot more drastic and evident (he's barely a NBA player now), I'm also putting out the parallels in their slip in play/production.

Duncan held up the best and for a longer duration of the 3. Ginobili benefited from having his role gradually reduced and his slip in play not being as dramatic (as Parker).

Even not being as consistent of a scorer, Manu was a steadying force. Besides LMA, he probably contributed most to net W's differential last season.

TheGreatYacht
09-12-2018, 06:17 PM
:lol Spurmwhale with his usual shit takes

Manure was a NEGATIVE (-) on both sides of the floor. The only play he "could" do was for the opposing team. Facts are facts, scrub.

Even not being as consistent of a scorer, Manu was a steadying force. Besides LMA, he probably contributed most to net W's differential last season.
Another lie you pulled out of your cummed on asshole, I see. Manure was 9th in win shares and 12th in WS/48. He moved the scale for us the same way a fart would've.

TheGreatYacht
09-12-2018, 06:19 PM
MVParker being alpha as usual

Spurtacular
09-12-2018, 06:20 PM
:lol Spurmwhale with his usual shit takes

Manure was a NEGATIVE (-) on both sides of the floor. The only play he "could" do was for the opposing team. Facts are facts, scrub.

Another lie you pulled out of your cummed on asshole, I see. Manure was 9th in win shares and 12th in WS/48. He moved the scale for us the same way a fart would've.

New age win share stats are bunk. Manu was a backbone for this team. Also, :lol at the guy calling Kawhi the next Shaun Marion trying to lecture me on value.

TheGreatYacht
09-12-2018, 06:23 PM
New age win share stats are bunk.
":cry My heart >>> your stats :cry"

Manu was a backbone for this team.
http://images.rapgenius.com/39d0fdc88bfdac73e22327ab3cda6063.590x744x1.jpg

Spurtacular
09-12-2018, 07:03 PM
":cry My heart >>> your stats :cry"

http://images.rapgenius.com/39d0fdc88bfdac73e22327ab3cda6063.590x744x1.jpg

Of course. Only an idiot would argue Manu was the ninth most important Spur last season.

DMC
09-12-2018, 08:58 PM

The first year Tim was out the Spurs won 61 games. Last year was the 1st time they haven't won at least 50 games in the past 20 years.

lefty
09-12-2018, 09:12 PM
The first year Tim was out the Spurs won 61 games. Last year was the 1st time they haven't won at least 50 games in the past 20 years.

The Kawhalpha effect

TDMVPDPOY
09-12-2018, 09:27 PM
coatrider talking like his a main piece?

Othyus Lalanne
09-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Parker didn't move on to open up a spot for a younger player.

Had he done this 4 years earlier then groovy. 2015 2016 2017 playoffs please.

Porkers reg seasons he had plenty of good games and was doing his role well a good portion of the time, I'll give him that.

RC is a complete retard and/or a company puppet for the Gasol and Mills ship sinkers.

You don't know if that was Pop or not.

gambit1990
09-12-2018, 11:30 PM
tony "i'd rather mentor kemba than my own teammates (murray, white)" parker.

glad he's gone though :toast

gambit1990
09-12-2018, 11:32 PM
charlotte fans will like him, they'll just give him props for his offensive "game" while ignoring his defense capability (like the parker fans on this board) because the hornets' defense will be bad enough that he'll blend right in.

Holden_Caulfield
09-12-2018, 11:39 PM
thank you parker. you will be missed but it was time to move on.

MultiTroll
09-13-2018, 12:29 AM
You don't know if that was Pop or not.
huh?

Othyus Lalanne
09-13-2018, 01:35 AM
huh?

Yep.

Since89
09-16-2018, 06:11 PM
General consensus has always been that Duncan was the foundation, Tony was the engine, and Manu was the heart.

Of course, these are all one-word euphemisms that don't actually mean anything.

It was and always has been Tim Duncan.

Clipper Nation
09-16-2018, 09:19 PM

:lol Yeah, all zero of them. Those were Duncan and Manu's rings.

TDMVPDPOY
09-16-2018, 09:25 PM
for a guy who made a living from backup pgs bailing his out of elimination games to win rings...this clown...

Since89
09-17-2018, 12:55 AM
:lol Yeah, all zero of them. Those were Duncan and Manu's rings.

Manu gave two away.

Brazil
09-17-2018, 07:18 AM
for a guy who made a living from backup pgs bailing his out of elimination games to win rings...this clown...

:lmao

just the year you can post again on Spurs forum and Parker is gone..

:lamo

boutons_deux
09-17-2018, 08:07 AM

in the 03 Finals, Tony's was so good that he was mentioned as FMVP candidate, and of course Tony played great all year to get the Spurs there. Speedy hit a couple jumpers in the 4th then basically disappeared from the NBA. Tony's still playing.

tmtcsc
09-17-2018, 08:15 AM
in the 03 Finals, Tony's was so good that he was mentioned as FMVP candidate, and of course Tony played great all year to get the Spurs there. Speedy hit a couple jumpers in the 4th then basically disappeared from the NBA. Tony's still playing.

Are you high? TP was NEVER in the conversation for FMVP in 2003. He shit the bed in the WCF against Dallas too. Missed Game 6 because of Bad Creme Bulee ? Pfft.

tmtcsc
09-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Tony: Spurs offered me the same contract, it was about the role.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jeXiz1RAvzX44/giphy.gif

Seventyniner
09-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Tony: Spurs offered me the same contract, it was about the role.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jeXiz1RAvzX44/giphy.gif

Which part do you think Tony was lying about then?

TimmyBuckets
09-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Damn the Parker hate is strong

Since89
09-17-2018, 07:17 PM
LoL hahahaha fuck. Unless you're trolling... ??
Duncan averaged 24/17/5/5 all while being doubled and at times tripled teamed.