PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: How Kobe led the Rebirth of USA Basketball

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:02 AM
Not like Jim in 2004, Kobe led USA to Gold in 2008:

:toast

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:04 AM
His first day of practice when that team got together that summer, he set the tone," Colangelo says. "The ball was up in the air, it hit the floor, and he dove for a loose ball, and there it was. That was the beginning.

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:07 AM
What helped bridge the gap between Bryant and his teammates was proximity. "In that time, we were all...in the same hotel, generally the same schedules," Bryant says. "That's when I got to know guys a little bit more." Bryant woke up early to practice. And other players soon followed suit, waking up early with Bryant, adjusting to his schedule.

Wade was the first player to join. "He met me in the gym at five, and then LeBron started showing up at five, and then they all started showing up at five. And then next thing you know, most of the guys were in the gym at five getting some work in," Bryant says.

Jim probably had the 2004 team sleeping in with AI in the background "talking bout practice!?!? Not a game, not a game. We talking bout practice! :lmao

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:12 AM
Me and guys started getting up really early and coming in to join me in my workouts and staying late with me and shooting after, and that's how I came to know the guys much better," Bryant says.

Kobe always had a strong work ethic, unlike Snaq. That's why I'll defend him to the death against you farmers :ihit

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:16 AM
Leadership on full display:

"All the other guys are still young, right? I mean, they were extremely young, no championship experience," Bryant says. "It was important for me to impress upon them, 'Look, these international players can play.' Just because you might not see them in the NBA doesn't mean they don't have the option of coming to the NBA.

"Most of them just choose to stay and play overseas, but these players can play, and if you do not pay attention, they will wear your ass out. Trust me, I know. I grew up overseas. I've seen all these players play, and you sit up and you just go by the eye test, you're gonna be in deep shit. And so it was important to stress that message."

Jim took Manure's teammates as a joke. Ended up with a shitstained Bronze Medal for his troubles. :lmao

pookenstein
09-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Cool Story. Also: you're welcome. This is no longer a Topic of you talking to yourself.
:bobo

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:25 AM
When it came time to playin Beijing, Bryant set the tone for Team USA early. In one of the early games against Spain, he traced Rudy Fernandez's route to behind the three-point line and noticed Pau Gasol planted in his path, setting a screen. Gasol had recently been traded to the Lakers, and he and Bryant had reached the NBA Finals that season. While this was just a preliminary-round game, Bryant delivered a message nonetheless. He sent it with his shoulder, sending Gasol sprawling onto the court.

"He knows me, man," Bryant says. "I don't play, and for us, it was important to send that message, too. We had just come off losing to the Celtics, and I wanted to send Pau a message as well in, 'This is what you have to be willing to do in order to win titles.' So, it was kind of a dual message, one for our team and USA and winning this game, winning this medal, but also for Pau in understanding this is the line that you have to cross in order to be a champion."

As "motivation" for Pau to step his game up, Kobe hung his 2008 Gold Medal in front of Pau's locker. Pau rightfully called him an asshole. :lol

It must have worked because not only did they repeat as champions, Pau played a huge roll in taking down them same Celtic bastards that beat them in 2008. :tu

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:26 AM
Even Martin Lou to the Kang took notice:

For LeBron James, the sequence became one of his all-time favorite exhibits of Bryant's competitiveness.

"It was one of the first plays of the game," James told Cleveland.com in 2015. "I was like, 'This guy's all about winning and whoever he's playing for or who he's playing with at that point in time.' He really forgot Pau was his teammate. Like, he really forgot that he was about to see him in like three weeks in L.A. I swear. It was crazy."

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:31 AM
Cool Story. Also: you're welcome. This is no longer a Topic of you talking to yourself.

Oh, no sweat. I know farmers don't much like Olympic talk around these parts. :lol

ambchang
09-13-2018, 05:31 AM
What a surprise, an article talking about the greatness of Kobe Bryant with a whole bunch of quotes by Kobe Bryant.

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:34 AM
"I think for LeBron, he benefited from Kobe, and I think vice versa," Kidd says. "I think you can look at Kobe and everybody got better, everybody had great years that following year. 'Melo, Chris Paul, those guys got better seeing Kobe in that light, and LeBron."

Before 2008 Olympics, LeBron made ZERO all NBA defensive teams. BIG FACTS.

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:34 AM
What a surprise, an article talking about the greatness of Kobe Bryant with a whole bunch of quotes by Kobe Bryant.

Refute them like you like to then, asswipe. :lol

pookenstein
09-13-2018, 05:51 AM
Oh, no sweat. I know farmers don't much like Olympic talk around these parts. :lol

Why would I give a single fuck about the US in the Olympics? I'm german. We've always been mediocre (at best) on international tournaments. Except 2002, when Dirk willed us to Bronze.

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Why would I give a single fuck about the US in the Olympics? I'm german. We've always been mediocre (at best) on international tournaments. Except 2002, when Dirk willed us to Bronze.

You care because it's Kobe. :lol Don't lie. ;)

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2018, 07:32 AM
lol not participating in 04 fearing of hijab wearing clowns
lol trying to rebuild his image after rape trial

pookenstein
09-13-2018, 08:26 AM
You care because it's Kobe. :lol Don't lie. ;)

And why would I care about Kobe playing for the US in the Olympics? I know you want/need to find arguments to talk Kobe up and put him on the same level as Tim, but that's just silly. Even if you factor in Kobe as the sole reason for 2008/2012 and Duncan as the sole reason for 2004 (which btw is laughable on both accounts), it wouldn't change the fact, that Tim was the better basketball player.

DMC
09-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Talk about lebron, he's your new savior.

Fabbs
09-13-2018, 09:14 AM
lol not participating in 04 fearing of hijab wearing clowns
lol trying to rebuild his image after rape trial
:lol Reports that Kirby received hundreds if not thousands of letters from terrorists saying they were very attracted to Kirby and were going make her (Kirby) part of their wives club.

Fabbs
09-13-2018, 09:15 AM

ambchang
09-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Refute them like you like to then, asswipe. :lol

I am not sure how you are in real life but to think these highly accomplished people would need any additional motivation is just pure idiocy.

You think MVPau doing well against the celtics had nothing to do with the Celtics not having Perkins, who’s physicality is what bothers MVPau? You think Bynums emergence has nothing to do with the lakers being able to match up with the Celtics? You actually think MVPau played well because kobe showed him a gold medal? How dumb can you be?

As for Lebron, this is just sheer stupidity. Hey, Malone never hunted little Mexican girls before he met kobe too but we all know he’s a sick pedo before that. Didn’t need kobe to teach him.

You see melo winning DPoY after playing with kobe? Why not? Why does it work for Lebron and not for melo?

Typical kobe trying to get credit for someone else’s hard work. His stupid show about breaking down a players move is all about him latching onto the good players and tried to get credit. His lies about working out with Kawhi when Kawhi denied it himself.

The most astounding thing is how many people actually fell for it.

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Talk about lebron, he's your new savior.

This a Kobe article. Stay on topic son. :tu

Besides, I'm sure I'll be posting many LBJ articles these next 4 years. ;)

Fabbs
09-13-2018, 09:43 AM
^^ would you like another cup of ether, LkrPhan?

lefty
09-13-2018, 09:44 AM
He also led the demise of the Los Angeles Lakers

Clipper Nation
09-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Nothing says "leadership" quite like shooting 1-7 from three against China and 0-8 from three against Angola - Angola! - while LeGOAT and Wade carry your sorry ass.

Mitch
09-13-2018, 12:18 PM
Timothy got us a dookie bronze, Kobe double gold.

DAF86
09-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Media creating fake narratives to overrated Kobe, per par. :lol

I could have been taking Kobe's roster spot and that US team and they would have won gold anyways. :lol

ambchang
09-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Timothy got us a dookie bronze, Kobe double gold.

And Melo’s got a triple.

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Nothing says "leadership" quite like shooting 1-7 from three against China and 0-8 from three against Angola - Angola! - while LeGOAT and Wade carry your sorry ass.

:lol

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 02:49 PM
^^ would you like another cup of ether, LkrPhan?

Nah - not even close :lol

ambchink to Kobe is like David Dennison is to Hillary's emails. This dude got some serious mental issues. :lol

Chris Fall
09-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Kobe is quoted. Most of the quotes are not Kobe’s.

Nate McMillan, Jason Kidd, LeBron, Colangelo. They were quoted a bunch. React to the “narrative” however you feel. You don’t have to misrepresent the article to feel a certain way. Early in the article, it even expressly says how Kobe was a loner that the other players didn’t really know. And it suggests they didn’t particularly like him either going into the Olympics.

While some fans will always bash and discredit Kobe no matter what, most of his peers, teammates, coaches, and guys who played and coached against him seem to have a sincere level of respect for him as a player and competitor. Kobe isn’t anyone’s best friend. He’s weird. But guys like LeBron and Wade appear to hold him in pretty high regard. Maybe they’re pushing some narrative too...

lefty
09-13-2018, 03:04 PM

Kawhi’s_Conscience
09-13-2018, 03:08 PM

op is your quintessential dumb, no social life, annoying laker fan. that maricon is the reason why trump is building that wall.

Mitch
09-13-2018, 05:18 PM
And Melo’s got a triple.

Fuck outta here ambchunk, go argue with a pigeon or something :lol

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:33 PM

FrostKing
09-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Reading these quotes

My take away :: Lebron James is a mental midget

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Kobe 5
Clippers :lol

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Nate McMillan, Jason Kidd, LeBron, Colangelo. They were quoted a bunch. React to the “narrative” however you feel. You don’t have to misrepresent the article to feel a certain way. Early in the article, it even expressly says how Kobe was a loner that the other players didn’t really know. And it suggests they didn’t particularly like him either going into the Olympics.

While some fans will always bash and discredit Kobe no matter what, most of his peers, teammates, coaches, and guys who played and coached against him seem to have a sincere level of respect for him as a player and competitor. Kobe isn’t anyone’s best friend. He’s weird. But guys like LeBron and Wade appear to hold him in pretty high regard. Maybe they’re pushing some narrative too...

Truth bombs :tu

Fabbs
09-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Kobe 5

Jim Loscutoff 7
Kobe 4
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/Jim_Loscutoff,_Boston_Celtics.jpg/245px-Jim_Loscutoff,_Boston_Celtics.jpg

Bonner
09-13-2018, 05:40 PM
:lol yet can't catch a fucking hummingbird

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 05:47 PM
Jim Loscutoff 7
Kobe 4
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/Jim_Loscutoff,_Boston_Celtics.jpg/245px-Jim_Loscutoff,_Boston_Celtics.jpg

In the 50s or 60s? :lolK

Fabbs
09-13-2018, 05:57 PM
In the 50s or 60s? :lolK
7 >>> 4 according to you.

And when where 7 of the Minneapolis titles acquired?

lol

Silver&Black
09-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Damn lefty. Humberto stayed the fuck away from this post.....

Bynumite
09-13-2018, 07:10 PM

Kobe led a successful tank job which gathered enough talent to attract the best player in the league.

Jim left an autist at the helm and the autist proceeded to bail out :lmao

Bynumite
09-13-2018, 07:11 PM
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Tim+Duncan+Olympics+Day+15+Basketball+6gRyQ25aUQcl .jpg

LkrFan
09-13-2018, 08:24 PM
http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Tim+Duncan+Olympics+Day+15+Basketball+6gRyQ25aUQcl .jpg

Not pictured: Kobe accepting a Bronze Medal! BAAAAAAHHHAAHAHA!!! :rollin :lmao :rollin

lefty
09-13-2018, 08:30 PM
:lol Amare's face

ambchang
09-13-2018, 08:46 PM

I’m not sure what article you are reading. There were only two quotes about kobe that wasn’t from kobe.

One is from coach k saying he set the tone. The other is kids about everybody getting better and how kobe and Lebron benefited from playing against each other.

How that would become some sort of proof as kobe brought team USA back is pure bull. Team USA got better because more people were willing to join after the 04 team lost. Colengelo and coach mandated players get together multiple years to get familiarity. To somehow say this is about kobe redeeming team USA is like saying Lonzo resurrected the lakers franchise because Lebron talked to him and decided to join.

I know you hate Lebron and love kobe because now kobe essentially gifted you guys a ring in 04 whereas Lebron shut the door on you guys but please be objective.

ambchang
09-13-2018, 08:48 PM

I’m doing that already.

09-13-2018, 08:51 PM

Fabbs
09-13-2018, 08:58 PM
:lol Amare's face
Are Bitch, LkrPhan and Bynumite the same Keyboard Kommando?

DMC
09-13-2018, 10:56 PM
Dude been retired for how long and Laker fan still trying to salvage his career. He's no better than 12, never will be.

DMC
09-13-2018, 11:02 PM
Not pictured: Kobe accepting a Bronze Medal! BAAAAAAHHHAAHAHA!!! :rollin :lmao :rollin

This was Kobe that same year:

https://pm1.narvii.com/6723/574936cca3cf6e85e32351a5449c0d205f4a91de_hq.jpg

https://odysseyonline-img.rbl.ms/simage/https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%2Ffiles%2F201 6%2F04%2F17%2F6359646629191070001410695902_rtrmj78 .jpg/2000%2C2000/mePsnpLgsJUV%2BZ%2FT/img.jpg

2003 Tim Duncan Finals MVP and ring
2004 Kobe loses to Chauncey Billups and Rape Trial
2005 Tim Duncan Finals MVP and Ring
2006 Shaq Ring, Kobe loses to Steve Nash. 2 games in a row Lamar Odom was the high scorer of the game :lol
2007 Tim Duncan Ring

Pretty sure that bronze medal in the middle of those rings beats a rape trial in the middle of those losses :lmao

Chris Fall
09-14-2018, 12:03 AM
I’m not sure what article you are reading. There were only two quotes about kobe that wasn’t from kobe.

One is from coach k saying he set the tone. The other is kids about everybody getting better and how kobe and Lebron benefited from playing against each other.

Apparently a different article altogether. Your statement is an all out falsehood. You even mistook Colangelo’s quote for Coach K. Coach K isn’t even quoted in the article. The article even starts out with Nate McMillan quotes about Kobe’s killer instinct being a reason he and the other players didn’t know each other well. But in the end, McMillan asked Kobe to be a leader to help the team get cohesion. Not Kobe quotes. The quote you attributed to Coach K again was Colangelo, and it wasn’t just one quote. Not Kobe quotes. LeBron had a quote about being impressed about Kobe lighting up Pau Gasol on a pick and his attitude of winning at all costs. Not a Kobe quote. And you mentioned Kidd’s quote but did some interesting editing. Still not a Kobe quote.

More than two quotes about Kobe not by Kobe.

You’re going to question someone else’s objectivity after blatantly spewing lies? Goood one.

I liked Kobe as a player. Have zero emotion about Kobe as a person, teammate, husband, father, friend, business person. I don’t care about him in that regard. From everything I can tell, I figure he’s a socially awkward recluse who tries too hard to be cooler than he is. Not much different from Tiger Woods’ personality. I don’t think I would like him personally if I met him. I think he’s weird. And he probably rape. But for all the shit Kobe stans get, Kobe haters are just as bad to me. Warping facts, finding ways to hate just to hate. You really think you’re objective when it comes to Kobe? You lied about fucking quotes in a Kobe article just to hate on Kobe. Fucking quotes in an article. Either that or you need better reading comprehension on the heels of you criticizing my lack of reading comprehension.

Suuuuurely objective of you there...

LkrFan
09-14-2018, 12:21 AM
Apparently a different article altogether. Your statement is an all out falsehood. You even mistook Colangelo’s quote for Coach K. Coach K isn’t even quoted in the article. The article even starts out with Nate McMillan quotes about Kobe’s killer instinct being a reason he and the other players didn’t know each other well. But in the end, McMillan asked Kobe to be a leader to help the team get cohesion. Not Kobe quotes. The quote you attributed to Coach K again was Colangelo, and it wasn’t just one quote. Not Kobe quotes. LeBron had a quote about being impressed about Kobe lighting up Pau Gasol on a pick and his attitude of winning at all costs. Not a Kobe quote. And you mentioned Kidd’s quote but did some interesting editing. Still not a Kobe quote.

You’re going to question someone else’s objectivity after blatantly spewing lies? Goood one.

I liked Kobe as a player. Have zero emotion about Kobe as a person, teammate, husband, father, friend, business person. I don’t care about him in that regard. From everything I can tell, I figure he’s a socially awkward recluse who tries too hard to be cooler than he is. Not much different from Tiger Woods’ personality. I don’t think I would like him personally if I met him. I think he’s weird. And he probably rape. But for all the shit Kobe stans get, Kobe haters are just as bad to me. Warping facts, finding ways to hate just to hate. You really think you’re objective when it comes to Kobe? You lied about fucking quotes in a Kobe article just to hate on Kobe. Fucking quotes in an article. Either that or you need better reading comprehension on the heels of you criticizing my lack of reading comprehension.

Well said. :tu

FrostKing
09-14-2018, 02:33 AM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/sites/default/files/field_image/03August2016/team-usa.jpg

LkrFan
09-14-2018, 05:27 AM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/sites/default/files/field_image/03August2016/team-usa.jpg

That's a lot of frosting there, FrostKing :lol

ambchang
09-14-2018, 05:35 AM

Apologies in switching coach k with Colangelo. But point still stands. Nate was talking about kobe being a loner. No where did it say it helped the team Redeem itself

Read my original quote before you shoot off. I never said the article didn’t have any other quotes. And since you have issues about following threads, it was in refernence to How kobe made team USA better, which was the point of the article.

All the quotes about how great kobe was and how he helped resurrected team USA and made other players were by kobe himself, outside of the two I quoted. And you are confirming that.

And lies? What lies? Kidd clearly stated Lebron and kobe made other better. Colangelo said he set the tone by diving for a lose ball (like How Kurt rambis set the tone for the lakers I guess), what else is there? Kobe talking about how other players followed his lead?nate saying he asked kobe to be a leader (which he should be given his tenure)? How is that redeeming team USA? Care to tie those points together without the kobe quotes?

Shaq 3 Pau 2 Kobe 0
09-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Kobe 5
← ← ←

Fabbs
09-14-2018, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bitch

Fuck outta here ambchunk, go argue with a pigeon or something

I’m doing that already.
Rack it.

Fabbs
09-14-2018, 09:42 AM
This was Kobe that same year:

2003 Tim Duncan Finals MVP and ring
2004 Kobe loses to Chauncey Billups and Rape Trial
2005 Tim Duncan Finals MVP and Ring
2006 Shaq Ring, Kobe loses to Steve Nash. 2 games in a row Lamar Odom was the high scorer of the game :lol
2007 Tim Duncan Ring

Pretty sure that bronze medal in the middle of those rings beats a rape trial in the middle of those losses :lmao
another cup of ether, LkrFan?

Kawhi’s_Conscience
09-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Are Bitch, LkrPhan the same Keyboard Kommando?
it’s pretty obvious :lol

LkrFan
09-14-2018, 10:36 AM
← ← ←

Great post son. Will read again and recommend to a friend. :tu

DMC
09-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Great post son. Will read again and recommend to a friend. :tu

If you can get word to them via the coyotes?

Mitch
09-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Faggs thinks I'm my hombre Ricardo ( LkrFan) :lol

Yeah sure, I'll roll with that. Que tal, putos

LkrFan
09-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Faggs thinks I'm my hombre Ricardo ( LkrFan (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=18824))

Yeah sure, I'll roll with that. Que tal, putos

Silver&Black
09-15-2018, 03:29 PM
← ← ←

http://i.imgur.com/PQfV6CMl.png

Splits
10-02-2018, 12:51 PM
https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/1047170771561398272?s=21

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-05-2018, 08:56 AM
https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/1047170771561398272?s=21

Interesting. Laker fan always points to this as a Kobe OG moment. Apparently faked for the camera just like most of what happens in Hollywood.

LkrFan
10-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Interesting. Laker fan always points to this as a Kobe OG moment. Apparently faked for the camera just like most of what happens in Hollywood.

Who? Which Laker fans point to this? Quote them and post it here...or STFU. You're choice.

FkLA
10-05-2018, 12:01 PM

I honestly think his influence has a lot to do with it. He always had a huge market, a huge legion of fanboys, and the media backing him. It's natural for peers to not speak out against someone with such a strong backing, and that's with any profession.

There was an Olympic year, I don't remember if it was '08 or '12, when he clearly wasn't the best player but the narrative was still that it was "his team". Still jacked up the most shots at a pretty low efficiency even though other guys were crazy efficient. Too lazy to look it up, but I want to say it's the year he was desperately trying to be the hero against Spain and DWade had the bail his ass out.

Kawhitstorm
10-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Last I checked he defected from Team Italy to ride coattails

LkrFan
04-06-2019, 02:08 AM

You misspelled "D-Whistle" (the self admission that he the 3rd best shooting guard of all-time):

Even he know he ain't better than the Black Mamba :toast

lefty
04-06-2019, 11:03 AM
1.MJ
2. Hornacek
3. Wade

Rummpd
04-06-2019, 12:34 PM
How can the fifth best player or so set the tone?

lefty
04-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Kobe > Jim

LkrFan
04-06-2019, 04:43 PM
1.MJ
2. Hornacek
3. Wade

Rummpd
04-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Kobe > Jim

In some bizarre alternate universe

LkrFan
04-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Kobe > Jim

Spurtacular
04-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Are we talking about the team he let die in the first place? Where was Kobe in 2004?

DMC
04-06-2019, 09:42 PM
MJ led to the rebirth of basketball. Kobe was the afterbirth.

LkrFan
04-07-2019, 02:04 PM
MJ led to the rebirth of basketball. Kobe was the afterbirth.

LkrFan
04-07-2019, 02:05 PM
Are we talking about the team he let die in the first place? Where was Kobe in 2004?

Watching Jim win a Bronze Medal as a professional player. :lol
#NBASystemPlayer