PDA

View Full Version : Official 2018 Spurs Media Day and Training Camp Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Dex
09-21-2018, 10:09 AM
It's been a long and crazy summer, but training camp begins in just 4 short days. :hungry:

Considering the changes that were made to the roster, this will probably be the most crucial camp in over 2 decades. It will definitely be interesting to see how the new guys gel and who rises to the top.

Notable dates:

September 25th: Spurs Media Day
September 26th: Training Camp Begins
September 30th: Preseason vs. Miami Heat
October 3rd: Silver & Black Open Scrimmage
October 5th: Preseason vs. Detroit Pistons
October 7th: Preseason vs. Houston Rockets
October 10th: Preseason @ Atlanta Hawks
October 12th: Preseason @ Orlando Magic
October 17th: Regular Season Begins

With the recent addition of Blossomgame, the Spurs roster is now set at...21? Wait, 22? Wait, no....20.

Training Camp Roster:
1 Murray
2 Belinelli
3 DeRozan
4 Gay
5 Aldridge
6 Mills
7 D. White
8 Cunningham
9 Bertans
10 Gasol
11 Walker IV
12 Forbes
13 Poeltl
14 Metu
15 Pondexter
16 Huestis
17 Eubanks
18 O. White
19 Hanlan
20 Blossomgame

Who do you think shines and sinks? Who do you think makes the cut? Are you going to any of the games?

Dex
09-21-2018, 10:15 AM

Trainwreck2100
09-21-2018, 10:19 AM
the last weekend without basketball was like a year ago

Chinook
09-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Huestis?

Dex
09-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Huestis?

Hm...that's a good question. Unless they aren't counting Eubanks 2-way as training camp deals?

jyra
09-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Now I'm really confused.

Leetonidas
09-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Already got tickets for the first preseason game :tu

NASpurs
09-21-2018, 01:32 PM

Now I'm really confused.

:lol Pop's handing out them contracts like they're going out of style

BillMc
09-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Thanks to Dex for starting the thread and all the good info. Man's doing the Lord's work. :flag:

exstatic
09-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Now I'm really confused.

Why? It doesn't necessarily transition into a two way contract, but it can.

I like white a FUCK of a lot better than Huestis. He can actually shoot the 3 ball, .356 on 1.1 attempts in 41 career games over two seasons. Pretty consistent, too. .353 in 35 games his rookie year and .368 in 6 games last year.

NASpurs
09-21-2018, 01:45 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-spurs-add-okaro-white-to-training-camp-waive-washburn

Washburn and Brimah were waived.

NASpurs
09-21-2018, 01:46 PM
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1043199545755291650

BillMc
09-21-2018, 01:47 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-spurs-add-okaro-white-to-training-camp-waive-washburn

Weren't there some expectation for Brimah?

Maddog
09-21-2018, 01:57 PM
What the hell is an Exhibit 10 contract, and can I get one?

exstatic
09-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Weren't there some expectation for Brimah?

I think people in Austin expected to see him at the Cedar Park Center next year, playing for THEIR Spurs.

KDKSpurs24
09-21-2018, 02:21 PM

Now I'm really confused.
I think I may prefer White over Huestis. We’ll see how this goes.

TDomination
09-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Finally!

Chinook
09-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Spurs signed three second-rounders this year and entertained signing a fourth. Easily a first at least in recent history for the club.

Dex
09-21-2018, 03:22 PM

:lmao How do you get waived before camp even starts!?

At least that explains things. Updated the roster on the OP.

Thanks to Dex for starting the thread and all the good info. Man's doing the Lord's work. :flag:

:bobo

r0drig0lac
09-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Now I'm really confused.

i like

ceperez
09-21-2018, 04:09 PM

So they don't go into training camp? I forget what rule the Spurs are using to sign and waive. Does this mean that they are locked up with the Austin Spurs?

ok... this answers my question... https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/spurs_cut_two_players_sign_jaron_blossomgame/s1_14822_27318146

objective
09-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Washburn and Brimah might have been given small guarantees to make it palatable to stay in Austin. Brimah if I'm not mistaken did play in Serbia after the g-league season was over so maybe this was just a way to keep him from going to Europe.

ceperez
09-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Washburn and Brimah might have been given small guarantees to make it palatable to stay in Austin. Brimah if I'm not mistaken did play in Serbia after the g-league season was over so maybe this was just a way to keep him from going to Europe.

It's interesting that Spurs care enough about the Austin Spurs to even bother to lockup these guys.

How many players has the Spurs ever signed from Austin?

Dex
09-21-2018, 07:20 PM
It's interesting that Spurs care enough about the Austin Spurs to even bother to lockup these guys.

How many players has the Spurs ever signed from Austin?

Ian Mahinmi and Cory Joseph were both Spurs draft picks, but they still spent significant time in Austin before finding their way.

JaMychal Green also played in Austin for a long time and, though he didn't stick with the Spurs, has become an NBA talent.

Then you've got Anderson and Murray who spent time there just to get minutes and hone their game. I expect the same for Walker and Metu this season.

Not huge success stories, but it's always good to have a farm system out there.

spurs1990
09-21-2018, 10:22 PM
Even with Manu gone where exactly are the minutes for Walker?

I see all six of these guards playing in front of him. And realistically even one of these six won't see many minutes.

Murray
Mills
Forbes
DeRozan
White
Belinelli

Barring injury Walker may not see 41 games if we believe Popovoch to favor his vets.
I'm not complaining it's good to be so deep but Walker's potential can be very high.

ace3g
09-21-2018, 11:00 PM
https://twitter.com/DejounteMurray/status/1043342014383706114

hooperflash
09-22-2018, 04:15 AM
I can’t see Ace’s posts :(

Ice009
09-22-2018, 04:20 AM
I can’t see Ace’s posts :(

This is the second one of his in a couple of days I haven't been able to see. For those that can see it, what is it?

tbdog
09-22-2018, 04:55 AM

I see all six of these guards playing in front of him. And realistically even one of these six won't see many minutes.

Murray
Mills
Forbes
DeRozan
White
Belinelli

Barring injury Walker may not see 41 games if we believe Popovoch to favor his vets.
I'm not complaining it's good to be so deep but Walker's potential can be very high.

Well the general makeup of the team, I would assume DD is playing SF the vast majority. I see Walker as 4th in PG behind Murray, Mills, and White. And 5th in SG rotation behind Mills, Beli, Forbes, and White. It's not all dim as Mills and White will split both guard positions. For example, losing Murray for a game would mean Mills and White are splitting the 48 mins, leaving Beli and Forbes to play the SG. By that alone, should grant Walker minutes.

Pavlov
09-22-2018, 05:41 AM
This is the second one of his in a couple of days I haven't been able to see. For those that can see it, what is it?Deleted tweet from Murray.

SouthTexasRancher
09-22-2018, 06:02 AM
Time to get it on! :ihit

Chillen
09-22-2018, 06:46 AM
What the hell is an Exhibit 10 contract, and can I get one?

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/9/28/16378350/confused-by-two-day-deals-and-whats-an-exhibit-10

Ice009
09-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Deleted tweet from Murray.

Thanks. Any idea what the tweet was about?

NASpurs
09-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Thanks. Any idea what the tweet was about?

It was the pic of TD wearing #93 in practice setting a pick for Murray on Forbes and Murray asking in the tweet whether or not TD should suit up for another season.

Ice009
09-22-2018, 09:11 AM
It was the pic of TD wearing #93 in practice setting a pick for Murray on Forbes and Murray asking in the tweet whether or not TD should suit up for another season.

Thanks. I would have liked to have seen that. I wonder if TD has been showing these young guys up a little bit in practice even at his current age?

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Thankfully we might actually get to talk basketball again soon.

Dex
09-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Thanks. I would have liked to have seen that. I wonder if TD has been showing these young guys up a little bit in practice even at his current age?

Bn8MgtcnfCJ

Last picture here

Ice009
09-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Thanks. TD still looks like he is in good shape. I wonder how his knees are feeling now that he's had a couple of years away from Basketball.

007nites
09-22-2018, 02:30 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/21b6a5abaef40c961e818ed83ee0ac75.png

https://www.instagram.com/creativenlb5/

exstatic
09-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Thanks. TD still looks like he is in good shape. I wonder how his knees are feeling now that he's had a couple of years away from Basketball.

They probably feel fine, now that they’re not taking a daily beating. The condition, however, is degenerative, and would flare with increased usage.

Dex
09-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Already got tickets for the first preseason game :tu

You should post some Game Grades or something, since its likely the first game won't be televised and/or will be hard to watch!

TD 21
09-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Makes sense to take a look at White, but he's like a younger, more athletic Cunningham: A big wing/PF more so than a SF.

Pondexter probably doesn't have the lateral quicks to hang anymore; Huestis is unplayable offensively and Blossomgame probably is too.

Murray
Mills
Forbes
DeRozan
White
Belinelli

Those 6 aren't playing all 82 games and there's numerous, recent examples of fringe and non rotation players playing well over 1,000 minutes in a season on this team.

Considering Walker is probably their best prospect in 7 years, this is probably their worst team in a long time, their biggest need is a 3 and D wing and he's probably the closest thing they have to one, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing a lot more than it may appear on the surface.

SAGirl
09-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Have no idea what’s going on with the 2 way deals anymore. Is it possible they are up for grabs among several guy still or no? There’s been 3 guys reported to have the 2 way deals (or some bad reporting).

SAGirl
09-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Spurs signed three second-rounders this year and entertained signing a fourth. Easily a first at least in recent history for the club.
I think they need bodies abd aren’t getting old ringchasers anymore... nor should they at this point.

Question, curious who is the 4th?

Harry Callahan
09-22-2018, 09:01 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/21b6a5abaef40c961e818ed83ee0ac75.png

https://www.instagram.com/creativenlb5/

TD definitely in the house at 42. Legends are few and far between like Tim.

exstatic
09-22-2018, 09:02 PM
Have no idea what’s going on with the 2 way deals anymore. Is it possible they are up for grabs among several guy still or no? There’s been 3 guys reported to have the 2 way deals (or some bad reporting).

As I’ve seen it, there is 1 two way deal signed, and a couple of exhibit 10deals, which CAN become two way contracts, but don’t have to. Since there is one two way signed, there are only two possibilities among the exhibit 10deals: either zero or one of them will convert. They can’t convert more, and they aren’t required to add a second one, although they probably will.

SpursDynasty85
09-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Makes sense to take a look at White, but he's like a younger, more athletic Cunningham: A big wing/PF more so than a SF.

Pondexter probably doesn't have the lateral quicks to hang anymore; Huestis is unplayable offensively and Blossomgame probably is too.

Those 6 aren't playing all 82 games and there's numerous, recent examples of fringe and non rotation players playing well over 1,000 minutes in a season on this team.

Considering Walker is probably their best prospect in 7 years, this is probably their worst team in a long time, their biggest need is a 3 and D wing and he's probably the closest thing they have to one, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing a lot more than it may appear on the surface.

I dont think they want him interrupting his progress with 3 and D concepts. Rookies play less for a reason. He has to learn the playbook first. He will play in the D league. Cunningham, Gay, DeRozan, and others will play the 3 while Murray, White, Mills, and Belli fill out the 1 and 2.

SAGirl
09-22-2018, 11:32 PM
As I’ve seen it, there is 1 two way deal signed, and a couple of exhibit 10deals, which CAN become two way contracts, but don’t have to. Since there is one two way signed, there are only two possibilities among the exhibit 10deals: either zero or one of them will convert. They can’t convert more, and they aren’t required to add a second one, although they probably will.
Thanks that answers the question.

alpha_HaZE
09-23-2018, 12:22 AM
I am excited about the upcoming season. If we learned anything from the last few years is that the healthiest team wins the West. And we have some durable players in our roster this year, like DeMar and Marco, and we lost players that missed one out every 4 games they played. Also, we have a team that is more athletic and can make the three. So, if healthy. I like our chances of making the second round of the playoffs. And if one of Bertans, DJ, and Lonnie plays like a bordeline all-star we will be contenders. Again, if health is on our side.

ceperez
09-23-2018, 06:35 AM
I am excited about the upcoming season. If we learned anything from the last few years is that the healthiest team wins the West. And we have some durable players in our roster this year, like DeMar and Marco, and we lost players that missed one out every 4 games they played. Also, we have a team that is more athletic and can make the three. So, if healthy. I like our chances of making the second round of the playoffs. And if one of Bertans, DJ, and Lonnie plays like a bordeline all-star we will be contenders. Again, if health is on our side.

Good point. Spurs have a bias for players that are durable.

The #15 slot is up for grabs for a SF, those in the running and ranked by most likey:

Heustis - Elite 6'7" defender, NBA experience, a poor man's Kawhi Leonard with good wingspan. Can't shoot. Stanford graduate.
Pondexter - Capable 6'6" all around player 3 years ago, injury plagued, jury still out if recovered to full form. Lots of NBA experience. Standout citizen.
Blossomgame - Bulky 6'7" player but with short arms. Improved shooting from 3 point range. No NBA experience.
Okaro White - Extremely thin 6'8" player, can shoot but with questionable form. Doesn't appear to have great vertical. Played lots of years in Europe. Some NBA experience.

The 15th man is that guy who is used only in emergencies and is a positive influence while warming the bench. My bet is on Heustis making that spot.

Chinook
09-23-2018, 07:36 AM
I think they need bodies abd aren’t getting old ringchasers anymore... nor should they at this point.

Question, curious who is the 4th?

Dangubic

venitian navigator
09-23-2018, 09:45 AM

The #15 slot is up for grabs for a SF, those in the running and ranked by most likey:

Heustis - Elite 6'7" defender, NBA experience, a poor man's Kawhi Leonard with good wingspan. Can't shoot. Stanford graduate.
Pondexter - Capable 6'6" all around player 3 years ago, injury plagued, jury still out if recovered to full form. Lots of NBA experience. Standout citizen.
Blossomgame - Bulky 6'7" player but with short arms. Improved shooting from 3 point range. No NBA experience.
Okaro White - Extremely thin 6'8" player, can shoot but with questionable form. Doesn't appear to have great vertical. Played lots of years in Europe. Some NBA experience.

The 15th man is that guy who is used only in emergencies and is a positive influence while warming the bench. My bet is on Heustis making that spot.

agree...I also think his defense alone makes him a 15th man with a big chance to improve his "number"...Maybe I'm way too optimistic, but I won't be surprised if, after the first games, he'll end up playing sometimes in the starting five.

Dex
09-23-2018, 10:56 AM

Good post.

Huestis could be a very serviceable player...if he wasn't a terrible shooter. Tack on the fact that he is already 26 and played a lot of basketball, which is going to make fixing his shot that much more difficult.

That being said...the Spurs have the best shooting coach in the league. Chip has pulled off some miracle jobs before (Parker, Jefferson, Kawhi, etc.)

They don't need to turn Huestis into a 45% three-point shooter or anything. If they can improve his shot to where it at least has a chance of going in, I could see him being a useful piece.

r0drig0lac
09-23-2018, 01:52 PM
I wish two of the three (Huestis,Okaro and Blossomgame) were in the team

Chinook
09-24-2018, 12:02 AM
I wish two of the three (Huestis,Okaro and Blossomgame) were in the team

There's a chance that all three will make it, one beating out Pon for the 15th spot, one getting the 16th spot, and the third being good enough to force PATFO to cut Eubanks from his two-way deal to get the 17th spot. As it is, two of the three isn't all that unlikely. I'll wait until I see word of Blossomgame's deal. But if they gave him a real deal (multiple years and some guaranteed money), then it's possible he beats out Pondexter and leaves Huestis/White for that last two-way spot.

ceperez
09-24-2018, 05:36 AM
There's a chance that all three will make it, one beating out Pon for the 15th spot, one getting the 16th spot, and the third being good enough to force PATFO to cut Eubanks from his two-way deal to get the 17th spot. As it is, two of the three isn't all that unlikely. I'll wait until I see word of Blossomgame's deal. But if they gave him a real deal (multiple years and some guaranteed money), then it's possible he beats out Pondexter and leaves Huestis/White for that last two-way spot.

The reason I think Okaro or Blossomgame don't make the 15th spot is that the Spurs staff don't have the bandwidth to coach yet another rookie. Pondexter (if healthy) or Huetis are the candidates more likely to provide experience in the bench and may be good practice bodies.

Blossomgame may be a good fit for the two way.

I don't think Okaro will accept a two-way.

I predict thought that Heustis makes #15, Blossomgame two-way. Verdict is still out if Pondexter is healthy. Okaro's is something I cringe when I see, he also doesn't have any bulk. Spurs already have Metu and Bertans who have no bulk, why add a third?

tbdog
09-24-2018, 06:54 AM
White a two way spot?

SAGirl
09-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Dangubic
If you think about it, they also have stashed 1st rounders less (only LJC and Milutinov in the past 6 years) and haven’t received production from them so perhaps stashing guys they believe can play is going to be discontinued. You take in the first round someone who can help with a minimum development of one year with heavy d’league and could play that first season if there are injuries. Don’t take in the first round long shots to stash bc you don’t want to develop them and have to take someone who agrees to stashing...

Anyways, they have been bringing guys over. They promised Hanga to bring him over last year but then reneged on their offer for whatever reason (topic discussed at length at the time).

I think it’s a good trend that they aren’t stashing as much and if they do, seem to bring guys over within a reasonable period. If some guy isn’t going to cut it within a couple of years of development perhaps he’s not ever going to make it. I have no hopes for Dangubic whatsoever if I am honest.

If the Spurs stash less then Id expect them to be constantly (as in yearly) refreshing their candidates and letting guys free that don’t make it.

Personally I really don’t like the Hangas and Milutinov’s of the world... guys perennially stashed that one starts to think won’t ever make it over. I was exasperated when LJC was in the stash too. After a while he either makes it or he doesn’t (and he didn’t) but he got his opportunity and I prefer to see that. I also wanted Blossomgame to get his chance to make the team as well.

SAGirl
09-24-2018, 07:50 AM
White a two way spot?
Apparently a potential 2 way spot with a contract that can be converted (but doesn’t have to) a 2 way. At least that’s how I understand it.

paperboy77
09-24-2018, 08:08 AM
Bn8MgtcnfCJ

Last picture here

That high dribble though...

ceperez
09-24-2018, 08:14 AM

Bad habits are hard to break!

Now look at this guy's handles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHV_qv2pJ5s

SAGirl
09-24-2018, 08:27 AM
True... hm.

Duncan87
09-24-2018, 10:21 AM
No huestis on training camp roster?anyone

NASpurs
09-24-2018, 10:21 AM
Nick Johnson is in the training camp roster.

exstatic
09-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Maybe Chip gave up...

ceperez
09-24-2018, 10:43 AM
No Oliver Hanlan either.

Nick Johnson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnTUmSBvj0E

Nice pickup... was MVP of G-League championship. Could be the extra PG the team needs.

r0drig0lac
09-24-2018, 10:48 AM

patfo probably read in the spurstalk that some people were hopeful with him, so decided to cut and include one more player below 6'3"

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 10:49 AM

BillMc
09-24-2018, 10:49 AM

Is 260 heavy for LMA?

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 10:53 AM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 10:55 AM
Is 260 heavy for LMA?

It looks like 260 was what he was reported as the last 2 training camps too. Maybe they're just lazy with changing that

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 11:02 AM

BillMc
09-24-2018, 11:05 AM
It looks like 260 was what he was reported as the last 2 training camps too. Maybe they're just lazy with changing that

Cheers. Thanks for looking that up bro.

TimDunkem
09-24-2018, 11:11 AM
Faggot OP said media day was tomorrow.

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Cheers. Thanks for looking that up bro.

:bobo

Proxy
09-24-2018, 11:13 AM
lol... difference LMA's response to Manu being gone and TP being gone was funny

TimDunkem
09-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Weak team, tbh...Although this first season without any of the Big 3 will be interesting nonetheless.

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 11:14 AM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 11:41 AM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 11:52 AM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 12:01 PM

Dex
09-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Faggot OP said media day was tomorrow.

Must have pulled from an old article. Started on the 25th last year...

Oh well, with your keen intellect I'm sure you can figure it out.

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Can't lie, I thought Mike C. Wright was Caron Butler for a sec...

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 12:08 PM

TDMVPDPOY
09-24-2018, 12:13 PM

lol no, hasnt done shit to take the keys...

as for JY, he still has a job reporting spurs?

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 12:15 PM
lol no, hasnt done shit to take the keys...

as for JY, he still has a job reporting spurs?

He works for the Athletic covering the Spurs

TDMVPDPOY
09-24-2018, 12:20 PM
He works for the Athletic covering the Spurs

after what his done? fck that shit...

Dverde
09-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Interesting Spurs have shielded DeMar from the spotlight. Raptors just shoved nephew out there in a dark bingo hall for a ask him anything press conference.

Dejounte
09-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Interesting Spurs have shielded DeMar from the spotlight. Raptors just shoved nephew out there in a dark bingo hall for a ask him anything press conference.

He won't be showing up?

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 12:36 PM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 12:41 PM
RIP to DeRozan's hair

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Pau walks in at 3:50 lol

John B
09-24-2018, 12:53 PM
RIP to DeRozan's hair

Demar looked really positive about his new team, really feel that he likes where he’s at, ready for the challenge, confident. I mean after watching Kawhitter, looked rehearsed, forced laugh, smugness. Really I hope Demar beast it this season, all nba with mamba attitude to win it all, and Kawhitter falling out because he can’t deliver, because as much skills as he has, he’s still a system player, can’t guide younger guys to be better, not a leader. His stock will go down fast as hired gun but not really a franchise player caliber

paperboy77
09-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Bad habits are hard to break!

Now look at this guy's handles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHV_qv2pJ5s

Lonnie clearly values to the ball. I hope Pop "see's" this trait and gives the guy a chance. (In the NBA not in Austin!)

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 01:00 PM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 01:03 PM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 01:10 PM

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 01:12 PM

BillMc
09-24-2018, 01:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmey84d3h7s

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 01:32 PM

KDKSpurs24
09-24-2018, 01:36 PM
patfo probably read in the spurstalk that some people were hopeful with him, so decided to cut and include one more player below 6'3"
I think they realized he would never have a jumpshot.

BillMc
09-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Sounds like LMA wants to be here for the rest of his career. Good.

Leetonidas
09-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Wasn't someone claiming from his source LMA wanted to be traded again :lol

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Sounds like LMA wants to be here for the rest of his career. Good.

& he seemed a lot more comfortable during that interview.

SpurSpike
09-24-2018, 01:59 PM
LMA was asked at about 6:10 if he wanted to finish his career here and his reply was "for sure"

Seems like iv heard that somewhere before...

cd98
09-24-2018, 02:07 PM
LMA was asked at about 6:10 if he wanted to finish his career here and his reply was "for sure"

Seems like iv heard that somewhere before...

That seals it. He's going to Toronto.

NASpurs
09-24-2018, 02:17 PM

That’s pretty awesome. Hopefully they steer Manu towards that direction.

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 02:30 PM

picnroll
09-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Always liked Nick Johnson. He’s bounced around but he’s a hard nosed, athletic player. Hope he makes it.

hooperflash
09-24-2018, 03:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX5OQIpXp80&app=desktop

SAGirl
09-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-24-2018, 03:45 PM

Not too melancholy about not having Kawhi to deal with though.

SAGirl
09-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Dejounte taking hair tips from Walker IV

hooperflash
09-24-2018, 03:51 PM
What did they ask LMA at the end? Didn’t quite catch what was said.

exstatic
09-24-2018, 04:13 PM
LOL @Jabari rockin' the Malcolm X hat.

Chillen
09-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Gotta admit this media day felt very strange not seeing Manu, Tony and Kawhi. Happy for DeMar and Jacob, hoping they have a strong NBA season for Spurs.

DJR210
09-24-2018, 04:46 PM
:lmao @ Kawhi's media conference.. goofy ass bastard

K...
09-24-2018, 05:10 PM
This feels less like the spurs and now like a junior varsity team. We now have several former all stars from free agency or trade with home grown young talent. There's no middle core Spurs, it's a mercenary team. Once they start playing I'll be at home, but this still feels weird anti season

gospursgojas
09-24-2018, 05:54 PM
What did they ask LMA at the end? Didn’t quite catch what was said.

“Did you ever figure out who put that billboard up?”

gospursgojas
09-24-2018, 05:56 PM
That seals it. He's going to Toronto.

He followed it with reminding us he signed an extension and he has no reason to want to leave and will be here till Spurs don’t want him anymore.

Not “erm for sure” followed by mumbling

TD 21
09-24-2018, 06:48 PM
- It's funny hearing Pop talk about his concern about the defense, as if it just hit him or they had no choice. Maybe they shouldn't have let the Raptors, who were already going to win the trade by a landslide, have Green (instead of Gasol), but I guess that would have involved thinking; a foreign concept around these parts the past few years.

- On a related note, it's funny to hear Aldridge talk about being built to play big and small, when they're the antithesis of the latter.

- I get that Murray is trying to stay neutral, but it'd be nice if he either didn't comment or backed a (prestigious) organization that handed him a starting spot on a silver platter, when at least 27 other teams (Magic and Suns?) wouldn't have.

I know players height are listed barefoot in Europe, but it's still funny to see Gasol towering over Aldridge, yet being listed only an inch taller.

LakerHater
09-24-2018, 07:22 PM
Does Coyote havta change his patch now?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dn3tgpjU8AAUZNK.jpg

KDKSpurs24
09-24-2018, 07:22 PM
- It's funny hearing Pop talk about his concern about the defense, as if it just hit him or they had no choice. Maybe they shouldn't have let the Raptors, who were already going to win the trade by a landslide, have Green (instead of Gasol), but I guess that would have involved thinking; a foreign concept around these parts the past few years.

- On a related note, it's funny to hear Aldridge talk about being built to play big and small, when they're the antithesis of the latter.

- I get that Murray is trying to stay neutral, but it'd be nice if he either didn't comment or backed a (prestigious) organization that handed him a starting spot on a silver platter, when at least 27 other teams (Magic and Suns?) wouldn't have.

I know players height are listed barefoot in Europe, but it's still funny to see Gasol towering over Aldridge, yet being listed only an inch taller.
Already would have won the trade by a landslide..? You talk as if you still don’t realize that Kawhi’s trade value wasn’t that high. The situation was horrible for Spurs because he only wanted to go to LA and wouldn’t have signed anywhere else. Nobody wanted to give up much for him. If you didn’t hear.. Spurs asked for Simmons or Embiid. I’m sure they asked other teams for a lot too. Nobody was going to budge dude. I’m sure this was the best deal they could get to stay competitive. We already have found ourselves on the lucky side because we actually have a good core of young players that can develop into really good players. Murray, Walker, White, Poetl, Metu (some may not reach a very high level but the Spurs are way better off than a normal rebuilding team. They may not even have a real down year like the Suns for example.) Then we potentially have two 1st round picks next year. The team is set up nicely for the future while staying competitive. Mission accomplished. GS will break up soon.

Note: Yes I would have rather Danny not be traded if we weren’t gonna have a player that could guards 3s. I really wanted OG back.

TD 21
09-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Already would have won the trade by a landslide..? You talk as if you still don’t realize that Kawhi’s trade value wasn’t that high. The situation was horrible for Spurs because he only wanted to go to LA and wouldn’t have signed anywhere else. Nobody wanted to give up much for him. If you didn’t hear.. Spurs asked for Simmons or Embiid. I’m sure they asked other teams for a lot too. Nobody was going to budge dude. I’m sure this was the best deal they could get to stay competitive. We already have found ourselves on the lucky side because we actually have a good core of young players that can develop into really good players. Murray, Walker, White, Poetl, Metu (some may not reach a very high level but the Spurs are way better off than a normal rebuilding team. They may not even have a real down year like the Suns for example.) Then we potentially have two 1st round picks next year. The team is set up nicely for the future while staying competitive. Mission accomplished. GS will break up soon.

Note: Yes I would have rather Danny not be traded if we weren’t gonna have a player that could guards 3s. I really wanted OG back.

I meant, I realize the Spurs weren't getting Anunoby or even Siakam and that the Raptors weren't taking Mills, but there's no reason Gasol couldn't have been in place of Green (Spurs could have also taken Richardson for financial purposes).

I think this was the only attempt to stay competitive trade they could probably make, so they panicked and conceded on damn near every thing they should have haggled over. It had also been speculated for a while that they wanted to move Green.

Given where they've picked, they've drafted well recently. But If neither Murray or Walker can become a star, this will more than likely be a treadmill team for the foreseeable future.

TDomination
09-24-2018, 07:52 PM

Pretty much this.

I hate that Danny Green is gone. But at that point it was either take that deal or make Kawhi come to training camp and make things awkward for everyone.

I personally wish they had just forced Kawhi to show up to training camp but I understand the trade.

Pavlov
09-24-2018, 07:53 PM
I meant, I realize the Spurs weren't getting Anunoby or even Siakam and that the Raptors weren't taking Mills, but there's no reason Gasol couldn't have been in place of Green (Spurs could have also taken Richardson for financial purposes).

I think this was the only attempt to stay competitive trade they could probably make, so they panicked and conceded on damn near every thing they should have haggled over. It had also been speculated for a while that they wanted to move Green.

Given where they've picked, they've drafted well recently. But If neither Murray or Walker can become a star, this will more than likely be a treadmill team for the foreseeable future.Treadmill post tbh.

Realdeal1
09-24-2018, 07:53 PM
This is season is going to be a blast watching a young / hungry Spurs team motivated to prove all the naysayers wrong ...while Spurs may not be championship contenders, I'm still looking forward to seeing how this team gels and see what a group of Demar , Aldridge , and Murray can do

TDomination
09-24-2018, 08:00 PM
RIP to DeRozan's hair

I like hearing Demars response about the mural. This city is ready to embrace him.

I hope pop is ready to do the coaching job of his career, I would love to see this team meet lakers in the playoffs and win. That would make my season just because then at least demar finally beat lebron. And plus it's always fun to beat the lakers.

bklynspursfan
09-24-2018, 08:17 PM

It probably had more to do with the Raptors not wanting Gasol? They won by a landslide this year simply cause Kawhi > DeRozan. But once Kawhi bolts, then what? We got the safer of the deal for sure getting a young guy like Poeltl and an all star player in DeRozan. They had the leverage

BackHome
09-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Getting DeRoz and RP to me was pretty damn good considering that Kawhi and Uncle Fester were saying LA or No Way. We got a top 20 player and the RP who was drafted 8 in the first round pretty happy as I think both are going to beast this year. Only thing I would have liked is signing Hanga or Nikola instead of Forbes. As far as Gasol the Spurs are loyal so they not going to trade him let his contract run out and then bring in Nikola and keep the streak alive.

Chinook
09-24-2018, 09:17 PM
This was the biggest trade in Pop's career as an executive. You've gotta give him a chance to show he made the right trade, or at least for the right reasons. If he thinks they can win with these stars, then we just have to hope he can make it happen. If the ownership pushed him into making a base-hit trade rather than swinging for the fences, then there was nothing he could do. However, if he prioritized win-now players over value because he didn't want to coach a rebuilding team, then he should have retired. That's really all there is to it.

Knowing what I know now, I believe that I would rather the Spurs have not made the trade and been a circus for months longer than let Toronto fuck them they way they did. But if DeRozan still has another gear in him, and if Poeltl can be an elite center, then this was a great deal in almost any circumstance. I just don't see it, though. It just feels like PATFO broke under the strain, and Ujuri took advantage. I am not part of the organization, though. I don't know exactly how much of a negative Kawhi was in the locker room. It's possible that even if Leonard were healthy, him being disgruntled would neutralize the talent difference. The Spurs don't have the same ceiling this season, but they'll be a damned sight better than they were last season. Teams like fucking Utah and Denver aren't going to finish ahead of them.

SPURt
09-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Disclaimer: I’m a homer.

I’m really excited for this team. The thing that made that 2013 and 2014 squad so special is they all bought in. Of all the top 20 players in the league DD has to be the most coachable. Pop is going to have a team that will definitely buy in. This team is going to surprise a lot of people. I think Pop is gonna figure it out with this group.

ace3g
09-24-2018, 09:21 PM
https://twitter.com/marcobelinelli/status/1044410039065354241

ismael-robert
09-24-2018, 10:04 PM
We are forgetting that we won't see the full fruit of the Kawhi tree until this summer when we see what the Spurs do with the Toronto pick we're only focusing on two players when we really got three

KDKSpurs24
09-24-2018, 10:28 PM
We are forgetting that we won't see the full fruit of the Kawhi tree until this summer when we see what the Spurs do with the Toronto pick we're only focusing on two players when we really got three
Yeah you’re exactly right. We may luck into this amazing new young SF that unlocks massive potential. We all just have to wait and see. The trade isn’t over.

objective
09-24-2018, 10:31 PM
Dejounte looks odd here, don't know if he was ready for the photo

https://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/getty-images-1039451814.jpg

Patty not skinny enough, but maybe lost a little

https://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/getty-images-1039451810.jpg

Davis with the anti-shoulders

https://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/getty-images-1039451778.jpg

playbonner15
09-25-2018, 12:06 AM
demar finally beat lebron
That would be a nice day :)

Dverde
09-25-2018, 12:15 AM
Patty is nowhere near a great player, but I still like him.

bklynspursfan
09-25-2018, 09:12 AM
BoIoH9IHs8y

rjv
09-25-2018, 10:30 AM

the sad result of these down years is that it has turned once analytical posters into the norm of ST.

SAGirl
09-25-2018, 10:31 AM
This was the biggest trade in Pop's career as an executive. You've gotta give him a chance to show he made the right trade, or at least for the right reasons. If he thinks they can win with these stars, then we just have to hope he can make it happen. If the ownership pushed him into making a base-hit trade rather than swinging for the fences, then there was nothing he could do. However, if he prioritized win-now players over value because he didn't want to coach a rebuilding team, then he should have retired. That's really all there is to it.

Knowing what I know now, I believe that I would rather the Spurs have not made the trade and been a circus for months longer than let Toronto fuck them they way they did. But if DeRozan still has another gear in him, and if Poeltl can be an elite center, then this was a great deal in almost any circumstance. I just don't see it, though. It just feels like PATFO broke under the strain, and Ujuri took advantage. I am not part of the organization, though. I don't know exactly how much of a negative Kawhi was in the locker room. It's possible that even if Leonard were healthy, him being disgruntled would neutralize the talent difference. The Spurs don't have the same ceiling this season, but they'll be a damned sight better than they were last season. Teams like fucking Utah and Denver aren't going to finish ahead of them.
It was a very difficult season with Pop and players getting harassed when asked about Kiwi and ending in Coach Pop 's wife death.

They were definitely placed in a bad situation which is why despite the real poor trade, I can't really be all judgmental about it without context.

If I was going to get critical about it, I'd have to look up how the misjudged the situation so badly (and failed to read Lamarcus situation all along the season prior).

You'd have to to examine how the whole thing with Kawhi was handled going back to the summer prior and first the dysfunction in the team prompting these trade requests but then how they failed to have a pulse on players. I wonder what they could have gotten for Kawhi 2 summers ago. Were there trades in the pipeline that Pop passed up bc he still hoped to keep a disgruntled Leonard?

Were at some point some Boston assets on the table that Pop didn't consider b4 things took a turn for the worse at which point they no longer were on the table?

If anything I think I have to look at them misjudging the situation. Wasn't Manu4tres (among others with sauces) saying Kiwi had been getting poisoned by the uncle and the group to leave for a very long time. Should they have looked to trade him back when his value was much higher if you had any foresight?

I understand the talent Kiwi is and I am on record stating I preferred they keep him and try to work things out with him pretty much until the very end. I didn't believe he would be traded in fact. I trusted RC Buford when he said he was the priority, but these things seldom happen overnight. If the man was set on leaving that long ago, holding on to him against his wishes for so long served no real purpose unless you pulled a blockbuster deal and this deal wasn't it.

Dex
09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
the sad result of these down years is that it has turned once analytical posters into the norm of ST.

Boom, roasted.

YGWHI
09-25-2018, 10:39 AM
BoIoH9IHs8y
:tu
Can't wait to see him playing. These refreshing and rejuvenating Spurs....Love it.

bklynspursfan
09-25-2018, 10:39 AM

YGWHI
09-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Very mature. If this guy just finds a shot...the Spurs will play Finals again.

bklynspursfan
09-25-2018, 10:45 AM
:tu
Can't wait to see him playing. These refreshing and rejuvenating Spurs....Love it.

Yea, I'm really excited to watch him, and the whole team overall. But I'm looking forward to what he brings and how his game changes.

SpursGenius
09-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Murray
Mills
Forbes
DeRozan
White
Belinelli

Derozan a sf in our system. Lonny better than everyone in your list except Murray and white.

Dex
09-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Derozan a sf in our system. Lonny better than everyone in your list except Murray and white.

This is something people seem to be missing.

Is DDR a typical SF? Far from it.

But Pop has been known to play guys like Kawhi or Bertans at 4, Beli or Manu at 3, and Mills or Forbes at 2. He will put Demar at the 3 without batting an eye.

Time will tell how that is going to work out, BUT...it does open up the SG rotation for guys like White or Walker to see some minutes.

YGWHI
09-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Yea, I'm really excited to watch him, and the whole team overall. But I'm looking forward to what he brings and how his game changes.

I love how much he shows he's hungry, ready for this new season. I know he'll have the best year of his career.

About his game, he will get easier shots than with his former team. On defense...I was one of those many guys here crying that LMA didn't know how play defense when he joined the Spurs, we were wrong. DeMar will prove it, too.

Dejounte
09-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Any more interviews?

YGWHI
09-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Not sure if Pop was trolling media or he really wants to run more...The Spurs were #29 on pace last season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/paceFactor

Young legs can change these numbers.

Dex
09-25-2018, 11:39 AM
There will probably be a round of player interviews at the end of camp today.

SAGirl
09-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Not sure if Pop was trolling media or he really wants to run more...The Spurs were #29 on pace last season.

It's very difficult to tell with Pop since he's definitely such a media trollster, but I do think he's aiming to make the most of DJ skillset. He's a great rebounding guard and gets a good number of deflections but does poorly in set offenses.

I think he's going to have the green light to make things happen in transition and to force his shot if it's attacking the basket and if he has the opportunity. Shot selection I imagine will be scrutinized. He's not a guy you want pulling up in transition and things of that nature but if he can push the pace off a rebound go for it. It's a way for Pop to probably also put pressure on others to look for their shots early.

Whether that happens or not is a good thing to watch out for. One thing is Pops plan and the other is how players execute. I expect growth from DJ... But we shall see.

NASpurs
09-25-2018, 01:11 PM
https://twitter.com/mikecwright/status/1044648727078727680

bklynspursfan
09-25-2018, 01:28 PM

SpursDynasty85
09-25-2018, 01:29 PM

I saw the interview. He never suggested the team was going to run more but Dejounte was going to. TP always had the green light to start the fast break and finish himself but when it came to the half court offense he was forced to run the plays Pop wanted. I imagine it will be similar from before. This will also be a good thing considering our back up pg is Derricl White. DJ can tire out and sub out frequently between him and Derrick to keep everyone on their fresh. Playing hard on every possession will be what our best way to utilize our depth and compete against the best teams.

NASpurs
09-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Best thing other than being traded or benched permanently. What a guy.

bklynspursfan
09-25-2018, 01:58 PM

TD 21
09-25-2018, 04:42 PM
It probably had more to do with the Raptors not wanting Gasol? They won by a landslide this year simply cause Kawhi > DeRozan. But once Kawhi bolts, then what? We got the safer of the deal for sure getting a young guy like Poeltl and an all star player in DeRozan. They had the leverage

Obviously. But why was seemingly everything contingent on what the Raptors wanted? Diminished value or not, the Spurs were the ones trading the premiere player.

The Raptors needed a C anyway (though more of a depth one) and ended up signing a somewhat similar one in Monroe. There's no reason to think this would have been a deal breaker.

And if Leonard stays, the trade looks even worse on the Spurs. The Raptors had no leverage once word had gotten out of the discussions being serious, since it was obvious DeRozan would be the centerpiece of the return. At that point, they needed to close the deal.

Talent wise, particularly given the circumstances, the Spurs did well to get a top 30 player, a lottery pick and another 1st . . . but fit wise, they cemented themselves as an archaic outfit and possible treadmill team and gave the Raptors a virtually ideal modern team (minus a play making C, that can switch).

tonight...you
09-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Obviously. But why was seemingly everything contingent on what the Raptors wanted? Diminished value or not, the Spurs were the ones trading the premiere player.

The Raptors needed a C anyway (though more of a depth one) and ended up signing a somewhat similar one in Monroe. There's no reason to think this would have been a deal breaker.

And if Leonard stays, the trade looks even worse on the Spurs. The Raptors had no leverage once word had gotten out of the discussions being serious, since it was obvious DeRozan would be the centerpiece of the return. At that point, they needed to close the deal.

Talent wise, particularly given the circumstances, the Spurs did well to get a top 30 player, a lottery pick and another 1st . . . but fit wise, they cemented themselves as an archaic outfit and possible treadmill team and gave the Raptors a virtually ideal modern team (minus a play making C, that can switch).
I don't give a fuck about the small things. I'm glad he's gone and the team got return.
This will be a better team than last year.

TD 21
09-25-2018, 06:43 PM

Why do so many act as if Buford doesn't exist? They're a team; Pop just has final say.

I don't got to give him anything. I knew the second I saw the trade that they fucked up. Once it was clear the Raptors wouldn't budge on Anunoby, there's no way Green should have been included. 3 and D wings are treated as gold everywhere but here evidently and they had the audacity to lose 2.5 in one off season, with no internal replacement(s).

No trade was going to make winning a championship possible (nor was more or less keeping the team intact). It's simple: they thought this was the best deal. Leonard for supposedly 4 picks and salary filler from the Celtics was too risky because of the lack of certainty. Besides, they'd have been hoping to get a star out of them and even though he's a flawed, lesser one, DeRozan already is. He's also about as close as they can come to a cultural fit and still somewhat young.

They're not guaranteed to be better or finish ahead of the Jazz and Nuggets.

I don't give a fuck about the small things. I'm glad he's gone and the team got return.
This will be a better team than last year.

There are no small things when it comes to trading a superstar. The direction of the franchise hung in the balance.

For a franchise desperately trying to remain relevant and stave off a full fledged re-build, the difference between Gasol and Green, in the context of this roster and the way the league has evolved, isn't miniscule.

tonight...you
09-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Why do so many act as if Buford doesn't exist? They're a team; Pop just has final say.

I don't got to give him anything. I knew the second I saw the trade that they fucked up. Once it was clear the Raptors wouldn't budge on Anunoby, there's no way Green should have been included. 3 and D wings are treated as gold everywhere but here evidently and they had the audacity to lose 2.5 in one off season, with no internal replacement(s).

No trade was going to make winning a championship possible (nor was more or less keeping the team intact). It's simple: they thought this was the best deal. Leonard for supposedly 4 picks and salary filler from the Celtics was too risky because of the lack of certainty. Besides, they'd have been hoping to get a star out of them and even though he's a flawed, lesser one, DeRozan already is. He's also about as close as they can come to a cultural fit and still somewhat young.

They're not guaranteed to be better or finish ahead of the Jazz and Nuggets.

There are no small things when it comes to trading a superstar. The direction of the franchise hung in the balance.

For a franchise desperately trying to remain relevant and stave off a full fledged re-build, the difference between Gasol and Green, in the context of this roster and the way the league has evolved, isn't miniscule.
You can stress yourself all the way to Hell over it.
Have fun.
I said my peace. This team is better this year.
Deal with it.

TD 21
09-25-2018, 07:16 PM
You can stress yourself all the way to Hell over it.
Have fun.
I said my peace. This team is better this year.
Deal with it.

I'm not at all stressed. I almost never am about anything and I damn sure haven't been about anything sports related since game 6 of the '14 WCF.

I didn't intend to go back down this road, but some of your ilk (blind faith, vanilla take, apologists) took issue with my snide/snarky remark, so I responded in kind.

tonight...you
09-25-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm not at all stressed. I almost never am about anything and I damn sure haven't been about anything sports related since game 6 of the '14 WCF.

I didn't intend to go back down this road, but some of your ilk (blind faith, vanilla take, apologists) took issue with my snide/snarky remark, so I responded in kind.
Right on! :thumbsup

rastaspur
09-25-2018, 07:57 PM

What credible journalist uses the terminology bounce. Jabari needs to bounce his ass to toronto

offset formation
09-25-2018, 08:11 PM

Given where they've picked, they've drafted well recently. But If neither Murray or Walker can become a star, this will more than likely be a treadmill team for the foreseeable future.

How come nobody ever mentions White when talking about potential? Honest question. You're far from the only one I see not even give him a shot at being one of our leaders going forward. I might be way off, but I could easily see White carrying the team on some nights as he continues growing his game and confidence. We'll see...

offset formation
09-25-2018, 08:13 PM
What credible journalist uses the terminology bounce. Jabari needs to bounce his ass to toronto

Yes, he's atrocious. Pop basically told him he was asking too many questions earlier.

coachmac87
09-25-2018, 08:51 PM

I love the fact you call optimistic people “vanilla fan apologist”..

Like what makes your depressing pessimistic view any different and right??

I feel you struggle with the fact some people here or fans in general try to enjoy watching their favorite team compete...so you try to talk down to people like what you say fucking matters..

You’re just a poster like the rest of us...except you jumped off the cliff with a parachute talking shit at the people who haven’t jumped yet.

Enjoy the season bruh lol

cool cat
09-25-2018, 08:58 PM

"When you decided to re-sign here what is/was that mind set to do that, you could have went anywhere else."

Jabari already trying to poison the well.

ace3g
09-25-2018, 10:18 PM
https://twitter.com/austin_spurs/status/1044633321840549888

spurs1990
09-25-2018, 10:33 PM

I feel like we have seen the 'threadmill' seasons occur after the three in five year title run. Specifically 2009 and 2010. Even then we had some hope at one point just after acquiring Richard Jefferson.

2011 the Spurs had an enormous rebound with a 37-6 record at one point. Then afterwards they were legit title contenders until this Leonard guy short-circuited.

Arguably the Spurs could've won the title in any season from 2011 to 2017 and no one would have been surprised. The beauty of it was that the system had a lot to do with it.

Which gives me high confidence that another era of title contention is likely. They found Leonard out of the blue and developed him as only they could. Who's to say they won't get another prospect like that.

I'm fine with repeating the 2009 and 2010 seasons again. I recall we were all down in this board and certainly nationally everyone thought the Spurs were finished. And then an unparalleled level of success followed.

Let the Golden State synthetic dynasty run its course and by, say, 2022, San Antonio will be in the thick of things. It'll be 1995-2008 and 2011-2017 all over again.

ace3g
09-25-2018, 10:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwCSWbMFxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FacaVoQOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNRnq1caco

ace3g
09-25-2018, 10:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mitf-gKMP8Q

SpursDynasty85
09-25-2018, 11:16 PM
How come nobody ever mentions White when talking about potential? Honest question. You're far from the only one I see not even give him a shot at being one of our leaders going forward. I might be way off, but I could easily see White carrying the team on some nights as he continues growing his game and confidence. We'll see...

I dont think hes quick enough or has the handle to penetrate enough to do that. For the Spurs I hope he turns into a deadly off the ball shooter. When he plays pg, he will likely just be a game manager. Ceiling for Derrick White is poor man's Jeremy Lin (he may be a better shooter though).

BackHome
09-25-2018, 11:43 PM
Your right he is not a burner but he has great handles so he can keep the ball alive even when he is in the paint. He has great court vision and is a good passer he will have a good year and will only get better.

pookenstein
09-26-2018, 01:29 AM
I'm fine with repeating the 2009 and 2010 seasons again. I recall we were all down in this board and certainly nationally everyone thought the Spurs were finished. And then an unparalleled level of success followed.

Let the Golden State synthetic dynasty run its course and by, say, 2022, San Antonio will be in the thick of things. It'll be 1995-2008 and 2011-2017 all over again.

I hope you're right, but you realise we had Tim, Tony and Manu on these teams?

SpursDynasty85
09-26-2018, 03:50 AM

Pretty sure Toronto got way more criticism than the Spurs for this trade. Most were expecting Toronto to sit tight and make a lebronless playoff push. They had plenty of leverage and the Spurs obviously needed to remove the cancer from the locker room.

TDMVPDPOY
09-26-2018, 04:45 AM
Pretty sure Toronto got way more criticism than the Spurs for this trade. Most were expecting Toronto to sit tight and make a lebronless playoff push. They had plenty of leverage and the Spurs obviously needed to remove the cancer from the locker room.

but raptors did end up making some quick moves after that trade, like gettim monroe..a big is still a big...

had they made the kawhi trade earlier, maybe anderson would still be on the team...

ElNono
09-26-2018, 05:00 AM
I like this team from an entertainment standpoint... Don't think they have enough to beat teams like the Dubs, at first sight, but they should really go for a gun and run approach until they get some semblance of defense going, and I think they can do that well, IMO.

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 09:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3FacaVoQOY
I like Davis attitude and his interview. It's up to him. I want to see him play well. He's a special shooter who can get hot and give you a flurry at times. I hope to see him more this year than last. Up to him he said.

Edit/addition: video above on the Pau interview. He looks in good shape and with a better mentality to fit in wherever he can help the team the most. Good feedback from him. Also glad to hear they will play faster and he will adapt or understand when the lineup needs to change. I was happy to hear him mention Dejounte and White as the PG frankly.

SpursDynasty85
09-26-2018, 09:30 AM
"When you decided to re-sign here what is/was that mind set to do that, you could have went anywhere else."

Jabari already trying to poison the well.

Not particularly fond of that guy but you could say that question was for Rudy to tell him why he liked SA.

SpursDynasty85
09-26-2018, 09:35 AM
but raptors did end up making some quick moves after that trade, like gettim monroe..a big is still a big...

had they made the kawhi trade earlier, maybe anderson would still be on the team...

Maybe he stays and Davis leaves. I dont think they could've afforded both of those guys at the same position. KA was the slightly better player but Davis was the better fit for this roster. Could've definitely been the other way around with an elite shooter like Kawhi on the roster.

XDT76
09-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Maybe he stays and Davis leaves. I dont think they could've afforded both of those guys at the same position. KA was the slightly better player but Davis was the better fit for this roster. Could've definitely been the other way around with an elite shooter like Kawhi on the roster.

Think Pop would had preferred KA, but his relutant to shoot 3 balls ends all possibility of SA signing him.

rjv
09-26-2018, 10:31 AM

apparently, if an opinion is dressed up with the appropriate vernacular and basketball jargon, it's supposed to suffice as a more objective take. the poster in question also has a history of theatrics.

SpursDynasty85
09-26-2018, 10:51 AM
Think Pop would had preferred KA, but his relutant to shoot 3 balls ends all possibility of SA signing him.

Well apparently Spurs strongly considered signing him even at the $9M +/ yr contract he got from Grizzlies. But with our need for 3 pt shooting this year, yes, it was the right decision.

playbonner15
09-26-2018, 11:13 AM
What happened to Bertans' build? He looks like he regressed to his adolescent form

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 11:34 AM
What happened to Bertans' build? He looks like he regressed to his adolescent form
he has always been that skinny and slim shouldered. Perhaps it wasn't noticed b4 since he gave so few interviews. I think he needs pairing with a strong rebounder for sure. I hope Poltl is one. So much focus is on the guards that the bench bigs and how they play is overlooked.

bklynspursfan
09-26-2018, 11:40 AM

Pavlov
09-26-2018, 11:53 AM

I didn't intend to go back down this road, but some of your ilk (blind faith, vanilla take, apologists) took issue with my snide/snarky remark, so I responded in kind.https://78.media.tumblr.com/e50ee2833d11eb6939a0f4500b32a40e/tumblr_oc3o9gXu3v1ryachyo1_r1_540.gif

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 11:57 AM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/e50ee2833d11eb6939a0f4500b32a40e/tumblr_oc3o9gXu3v1ryachyo1_r1_540.gif
:tongue

benefactor
09-26-2018, 12:04 PM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/e50ee2833d11eb6939a0f4500b32a40e/tumblr_oc3o9gXu3v1ryachyo1_r1_540.gif
:lol...pretty much

gospursgojas
09-26-2018, 12:08 PM
I love the fact you call optimistic people “vanilla fan apologist”..

I feel you struggle with the fact some people here or fans in general try to enjoy watching their favorite team compete...so you try to talk down to people like what you say fucking matters..

You’re just a poster like the rest of us...except you jumped off the cliff with a parachute talking shit at the people who haven’t jumped yet.

Enjoy the season bruh lol

10/10 post tbh :tu

Dejounte
09-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Lol. This guy and TheGreatDouche(and all his other burner accounts) are pathetic. Coming in here thinking you're above others because you have dumb takes all because you're trying to be edgy. Get some attention more.

Chinook
09-26-2018, 01:03 PM
TD21 is a good poster, way better than a bunch of posters criticizing him. He and I go at it over issues as much as anyone. I disagree with a lot of things he says. But he comes in and give reasoned opinions and defends his points. I'll take that over the trolling and vapid takes any day. Not saying he should be going around putting down other posters, but a ton of folks on here give really shallow opinions that they aren't willing to back up with research or with further arguments. TD21 is the Seto Kaiba of this board. He makes it better by going against popular opinion but still supporting the same side ultimately

acoelho1
09-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Only way I can see us becoming a serious contender this year is if Murray takes a big leap offensively. White would also have to be consistent contributor. This team definitely has talent to compete with anyone outside of the Warriors in a 7 game series. There are too many unknowns at the moment to know how the Spurs with fair this year.

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 01:08 PM
For the record, hate the trolling that is aimed at personal attacks against other fans. When you just jump into a thread to call someone stupid or whatever, or just to criticize his opinion without giving much of an opinion yourself, there's no need to even bother with you... far as I am concerned.

I have had some personal attacks directed at me, and while I don't give a shit and wipe my ass with those takes, wouldn't mind if that stuff is moderated to begin with.

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 01:12 PM
Only way I can see us becoming a serious contender this year is if Murray takes a big leap offensively. White would also have to be consistent contributor. This team definitely has talent to compete with anyone outside of the Warriors in a 7 game series. There are too many unknowns at the moment to know how the Spurs with fair this year.
I'm simply excited to see a fresh team without the drama and watch how the season plays out without the same old guys doing their thing, but slower every year.

bklynspursfan
09-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Freaking awesome

bklynspursfan
09-26-2018, 01:32 PM

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Frankly, perhaps I am way too pessimistic and my opinion on him changes but I don't see this team as a contender with Derozan at the helm. He's just been too awful in the playoffs to give me any hope.

Regular season fun team and perhaps 2nd round ouster is the ceiling... Derozan could suprise so we'll see.

There's many young players that one really doesn't know how improved they will be. There could be gems there or not. That we really don't know yet, we can project, prognosticate, hope, etc. but know per se? No. Too young, too inexperienced, short track record, ages at which leaps are still possible, so there's hope there.

NASpurs
09-26-2018, 01:34 PM

:lol first time I’ve ever laughed at anything LMA has ever said

bklynspursfan
09-26-2018, 01:35 PM

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-26-2018, 01:36 PM
TD21 is the Seto Kaiba of this board.

the fu...?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-26-2018, 01:37 PM
also patty looks good. he looks ... fit.

bklynspursfan
09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
:lol first time I’ve ever laughed at anything LMA has ever said

Yea seriously.. I'm glad to see him so relaxed and showing a sense of humor.

Chinook
09-26-2018, 01:40 PM
the fu...?

Hey, I was a nerdy teen once.

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 02:11 PM
we haven't heard anything from the camp invitees... the elusive Huestis for example.

I remember the season Butler was a camp invitee, he was interviewed and Pop explained he was in camp to mentor two young wings etc. Obviously Jimmer got his hype etc. (Jimmer thread alert!)

SA media not asking about these camp battles. Jabari been twiddling thumbs or something. He gets much hate here, but I don't see other SA media posting videos or asking questions...

MaNu4Tres
09-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Wings are wings. DeMar will spend most of his time defending the bigger ones on the perimeter.

RD2191
09-26-2018, 02:26 PM
For the record, hate the trolling that is aimed at personal attacks against other fans. When you just jump into a thread to call someone stupid or whatever, or just to criticize his opinion without giving much of an opinion yourself, there's no need to even bother with you... far as I am concerned.

I have had some personal attacks directed at me, and while I don't give a shit and wipe my ass with those takes, wouldn't mind if that stuff is moderated to begin with.

Fuck off.

Chinook
09-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Fuck off.

We're counting on you carrying the forum this year with ElNono following his client into retirement. You up for the challenge?

RD2191
09-26-2018, 03:44 PM
We're counting on you carrying the forum this year with ElNono following his client into retirement. You up for the challenge?

At least 8 days a week. Wait what?

rjv
09-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Frankly, perhaps I am way too pessimistic and my opinion on him changes but I don't see this team as a contender with Derozan at the helm. He's just been too awful in the playoffs to give me any hope.

Regular season fun team and perhaps 2nd round ouster is the ceiling... Derozan could suprise so we'll see.

There's many young players that one really doesn't know how improved they will be. There could be gems there or not. That we really don't know yet, we can project, prognosticate, hope, etc. but know per se? No. Too young, too inexperienced, short track record, ages at which leaps are still possible, so there's hope there.

this read like a 10 day weather forecast.

Immortal Spur
09-26-2018, 03:48 PM
I have a challenge for Spurstalk. Rob has about 43,000 posts since 2012. First person to find a quality post wins the prize which will be decided at a later date. Good LUcK FeLlaS

SpursDynasty85
09-26-2018, 03:50 PM
we haven't heard anything from the camp invitees... the elusive Huestis for example.

I remember the season Butler was a camp invitee, he was interviewed and Pop explained he was in camp to mentor two young wings etc. Obviously Jimmer got his hype etc. (Jimmer thread alert!)

SA media not asking about these camp battles. Jabari been twiddling thumbs or something. He gets much hate here, but I don't see other SA media posting videos or asking questions...

Honestly, Most of our roster is filled and there are a ton of new faces and young guys vying for playing time already. Spurstalk tends to like to talk about things when their bored or beat a dead horse about the 15th guy. I'm sure the Spurs are looking at their best options but this team will be built on the back of LMA, DD, Rudy, and DJ. Everyone else will hopefully fit the best way possible around these 4. Derrick White should be the most interesting. If he fits in well as an off the ball SG and possible defender (better defender than Belli) then we might have a good shot at WCF. Beating Houston would be satisfying indeed. We do have Lonnie Walker and Poelt'l looking to develop into possible all stars for the next few years. Spurs will be in the playoff hunt for the next 3/4 years without any real changes. That gives us sometime to improve a bit too.

RD2191
09-26-2018, 03:56 PM
I have a challenge for Spurstalk. Rob has about 43,000 posts since 2012. First person to find a quality post wins the prize which will be decided at a later date. Good LUcK FeLlaS

Jokes on you, I'm a professional shit poster.

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 03:56 PM

Good challenge...
Chicken strips is the prize.

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Jokes on you, I'm a professional shit poster.
I look up to you... because... you just posted ahead of me. I have to look up.

Chinook
09-26-2018, 04:00 PM
I look up to you... because... you just posted ahead of me. I have to look up.

Could just keep your eyes in the same place and scroll the page.

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Could just keep your eyes in the same place and scroll the page.
True, but I like the dramatic effect. Made for a better shitty post too!

r0drig0lac
09-26-2018, 04:07 PM

nice

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 04:13 PM
nice
I'm totally digging LMA's full-on comfort with himself and this team.
It only makes it better.

This team has the right mindset, from Pau saying he'll do whatever to help this team, to DJ's (hopefully) improved jumper to an added All Star that will actually play for the team that's a cool-ass team mate.
Not a guy who's unreliable and doesn't talk to anybody anyways...

I don't expect a championship. I do expect a fun season of funner-than-usual basketball from our team and watching them grow together.

bklynspursfan
09-26-2018, 04:16 PM

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Fuck off.
RIGHT that is basically an ass wiping post

K...
09-26-2018, 04:33 PM
Where's Forbes in all this? Isn't he a major player for us?

Chinook
09-26-2018, 04:38 PM
Where's Forbes in all this? Isn't he a major player for us?

Higher up than people seem to realize. Dude has a legit chance to start between DeRozan and Murray. The common theory is that Mills or Beli would start with the other being a key bench piece, but they could both be on the bench, and White could be shelved or put in Austin another year so Bryn can have his day.

And in case it's not obvious, I do not endorse him starting. But having a shooter on the on the perimeter makes a lot of sense. Also, Bryn's defensive analytics were surprising elite (even though his metrics, rate stats and advanced stats were shitty). PATFO signed him for a reason, and apparently, they like what he's shown them over the years.

K...
09-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Higher up than people seem to realize. Dude has a legit chance to start between DeRozan and Murray. The common theory is that Mills or Beli would start with the other being a key bench piece, but they could both be on the bench, and White could be shelved or put in Austin another year so Bryn can have his day.

And in case it's not obvious, I do not endorse him starting. But having a shooter on the on the perimeter makes a lot of sense. Also, Bryn's defensive analytics were surprising elite (even though his metrics, rate stats and advanced stats were shitty). PATFO signed him for a reason, and apparently, they like what he's shown them over the years.

Yeah but I meant literally, is he at camp and shouldn't he be asked about his role by jabari and who else. There's no reason why he shouldn't be featured if the team believes in him as much as we expect.

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 05:05 PM

wow. frankly I have been too critical of a team that has not yet played a game... but that scenario I don't know... I honestly don't know how much I'll be able to watch it. Someone else is going to have to conquer me. I admit I frankly wasn't enthused about Belli or Mills starting either. Perhaps Forbes will be fine.

going to drink my vanilla fan tea or something bbl

Chinook
09-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Yeah but I meant literally, is he at camp and shouldn't he be asked about his role by jabari and who else. There's no reason why he shouldn't be featured if the team believes in him as much as we expect.

He is making just a bit over the min. He's not a featured player. His salary doesn't even guarantee him a spot on next year's team (meaning via cut rather than trade). To put it into perspective, he's making less than the LLE. Nando de Colo made the LLE in 2013 for the Spurs.

TD 21
09-26-2018, 05:15 PM

I see White's potential mentioned plenty. I think he could potentially be a high end 6th man (reminds me of Delon Wright, with a pullup 3), but not a star.

I feel like we have seen the 'threadmill' seasons occur after the three in five year title run. Specifically 2009 and 2010. Even then we had some hope at one point just after acquiring Richard Jefferson.

2011 the Spurs had an enormous rebound with a 37-6 record at one point. Then afterwards they were legit title contenders until this Leonard guy short-circuited.

Arguably the Spurs could've won the title in any season from 2011 to 2017 and no one would have been surprised. The beauty of it was that the system had a lot to do with it.

Which gives me high confidence that another era of title contention is likely. They found Leonard out of the blue and developed him as only they could. Who's to say they won't get another prospect like that.

They only had a legit chance from '12-'14 and "the system" was mostly the genius of that particular group of players.

They don't even have a path to contention again until they find a superstar, which is extremely difficult. A lot of Spurs fans are blind to how rare they are because they've been lucky enough to have one for the past 29 seasons (not really from '09-'16, but the biggest 3 kind of collectively added up to one).

I count 9 current ones (James, Durant, Davis, Curry, Harden, Leonard, Antetokounmpo, Westbrook, Paul) and only the first 3 were projected to be.
They got lucky with Leonard. Maybe they will with Walker, too (he's more athletic, with better ball skills than Leonard was when drafted), but it's always highly unlikely with any non generational type prospect.

No, the Raptors received criticism for their supposed handling of it with DeRozan. They received virtual universal acclaim and praise for the actual trade though, while the Spurs were criticized and mocked for failing to extract either Anunoby or Siakam and for constructing a roster even more archaic than recent iterations.

Mugen
09-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Lmao holy shit, Bryn Forbes potentially starting.... I knew the eventual decline/transition of the franchise was gonna be bad but I didn't think it'd be Bryn Forbes starting bad.

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 05:49 PM
Lmao holy shit, Bryn Forbes potentially starting.... I knew the eventual decline/transition of the franchise was gonna be bad but I didn't think it'd be Bryn Forbes starting bad.
Prepare yourself. He started 12 games last season and I will tell you, there was once a time I didn't envision Mills as a starter either yet here we are.

I am going to keep an open mind about this season. It's not like it's a championship year or anything. HOpefully we catch glimpses of others getting played too.. by that I mean other youth... you know?

r0drig0lac
09-26-2018, 05:55 PM

I do not see Forbes starting in any scenario (I think Greg would start Belli if he had a need for a shooter in s5)

Solid D
09-26-2018, 06:07 PM
I look forward to seeing a big uptick in Derrick White’s impact on Spurs’ wins the season. Even if DerMar and Dejounte are man-spreading on minutes, White is ready for more floor time.

SpursDynasty85
09-26-2018, 06:15 PM
I see White's potential mentioned plenty. I think he could potentially be a high end 6th man (reminds me of Delon Wright, with a pullup 3), but not a star.

They only had a legit chance from '12-'14 and "the system" was mostly the genius of that particular group of players.

They don't even have a path to contention again until they find a superstar, which is extremely difficult. A lot of Spurs fans are blind to how rare they are because they've been lucky enough to have one for the past 29 seasons (not really from '09-'16, but the biggest 3 kind of collectively added up to one).

I count 9 current ones (James, Durant, Davis, Curry, Harden, Leonard, Antetokounmpo, Westbrook, Paul) and only the first 3 were projected to be.
They got lucky with Leonard. Maybe they will with Walker, too (he's more athletic, with better ball skills than Leonard was when drafted), but it's always highly unlikely with any non generational type prospect.

No, the Raptors received criticism for their supposed handling of it with DeRozan. They received virtual universal acclaim and praise for the actual trade though, while the Spurs were criticized and mocked for failing to extract either Anunoby or Siakam and for constructing a roster even more archaic than recent iterations.

Bro. Your extremely one sided to my response. Plenty of criticism for Toronto not only how they handled it but the fact they did it against a star who didn't want to stay. You have blinders on. Most agreed that getting DeRozan was better than anything. The criticism was how the Spurs got to the point where they had to trade Kawhi. Your just a little worked. Or a lot.

Dex
09-26-2018, 06:17 PM

I respect Chinook 's takes because he is definitely one of the more thoughtful posters on this board...but I simply don't see this happening.

In fact, if Bryn Forbes starts more than 5 games this year (barring significant injuries and/or rest games)....I'll make him my avatar.

acoelho1
09-26-2018, 06:21 PM

I’m definitely not depending on DeRozan to carry us to a title. He’s Richard Jefferson 2.0. Howvever, I know many in this forum think Murray is trash but I believe he will be a star and he has the toughness to lead us to a title eventually. We will also need Walker to develop to an all star level as well. The likelyhood of another title anytime soon is very low. I do like our future with Murray, White & Walker.

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 06:26 PM
wow. frankly I have been too critical of a team that has not yet played a game... but that scenario I don't know... I honestly don't know how much I'll be able to watch it. Someone else is going to have to conquer me. I admit I frankly wasn't enthused about Belli or Mills starting either. Perhaps Forbes will be fine.

going to drink my vanilla fan tea or something bbl
You're justified in your thinking.

tonight...you
09-26-2018, 06:28 PM
I’m definitely not depending on DeRozan to carry us to a title. He’s Richard Jefferson 2.0. Howvever, I know many in this forum think Murray is trash but I believe he will be a star and he has the toughness to lead us to a title eventually. We will also need Walker to develop to an all star level as well. The likelyhood if another title anytime soon is very low. I do like our future with Murray, White & Walker.
I'd probably say Derozan is more like Jefferson 2.5.
He'll be better, and more entertaining, but probably not good enough to get to the End of the Rainbow.

It's all good.

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 06:37 PM
I respect Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) 's takes because he is definitely one of the more thoughtful posters on this board...but I simply don't see this happening.

In fact, if Bryn Forbes starts more than 5 games this year (barring significant injuries and/or rest games)....I'll make him my avatar.
You put in a really low threshold at 5 games. It's quite possible you have to change your avatar.

this is actually a nice gamble/bet for this season.

Leetonidas
09-26-2018, 06:38 PM
If Bryn Forbes is the starting SG for any other reason besides injury or rest, I'm turning in my fan card tbh

Dex
09-26-2018, 06:41 PM
I’m definitely not depending on DeRozan to carry us to a title. He’s Richard Jefferson 2.0. Howvever, I know many in this forum think Murray is trash but I believe he will be a star and he has the toughness to lead us to a title eventually. We will also need Walker to develop to an all star level as well. The likelyhood of another title anytime soon is very low. I do like our future with Murray, White & Walker.

DeRozan is far from RJ 2.0.

Jefferson was a one-trick pony in New Jersey. He could run the break and throw down dunks. That was his sweet spot, and his career was never the same once he was asked to do more than that.

That being said, the Spurs system didn't fit him. He had to give up his running game and become a spot-up shooter...which he did fairly well, but it wasn't worth the money he was getting. He was doomed to fail because Pop decided to keep him out of Tim, Tony, and Manu's way instead of letting him do what suited him well.

Demar can score in a multitude of ways. If he can develop a semblance of a three-point shot (as he started to last season), he will be even more of a threat.

His defense will still be a question mark, but there is a reason he has made the All-NBA team the last two years, and it's not his defense. Jefferson never knew how to put the ball in the basket like DeRozan can.

Dex
09-26-2018, 06:47 PM
You put in a really low threshold at 5 games. It's quite possible you have to change your avatar.

this is actually a nice gamble/bet for this season.

Hold me to it.

IMO, Pop will have Murray, DeRozan, Mills, and Beli firmly ahead of Forbes in the starting rotation. The way the team has been talking him up, I also believe White is in that conversation.

I still think Forbes is going to soak up more minutes than we would like...but it will be off the bench. It is going to take some dire circumstances for him to be starting.

Pavlov
09-26-2018, 06:50 PM
DeRozan is far from RJ 2.0.

Jefferson was a one-trick pony in New Jersey. He could run the break and throw down dunks. That was his sweet spot, and his career was never the same once he was asked to do more than that.

That being said, the Spurs system didn't fit him. He had to give up his running game and become a spot-up shooter...which he did fairly well, but it wasn't worth the money he was getting. He was doomed to fail because Pop decided to keep him out of Tim, Tony, and Manu's way instead of letting him do what suited him well.

Demar can score in a multitude of ways. If he can develop a semblance of a three-point shot (as he started to last season), he will be even more of a threat.

His defense will still be a question mark, but there is a reason he has made the All-NBA team the last two years, and it's not his defense. Jefferson never knew how to put the ball in the basket like DeRozan can.True, there is no big three to accommodate anymore and if the video clips are any indication LMA is working on staying out of Demar's way at least part of the time.

SAGirl
09-26-2018, 06:53 PM
Hold me to it.

IMO, Pop will have Murray, DeRozan, Mills, and Beli firmly ahead of Forbes in the starting rotation. The way the team has been talking him up, I also believe White is in that conversation.

I still think Forbes is going to soak up more minutes than we would like...but it will be off the bench. It is going to take some dire circumstances for him to be starting.

I definitely hope you are right and don't need to change your avatar.

I really don't like either Mills or Belli starting as they are kind of microwave type shooters that are great for bench scoring but get exposed as starters. I suspect Pop is rolling with Mills but I also expect a fair amount of experimentation (which is why I think the Forbes experiment has a risk of being seen and the 5 games threshold is low). As long as others get opportunities too, and he doesn't get overplayed I can live with it.

Dejounte
09-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Pau Gasol already let it slipped that Derrick White is the backup point. Watch his latest practice interview. Derrick is our Manu-lite.

Chinook
09-26-2018, 07:12 PM
I respect Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) 's takes because he is definitely one of the more thoughtful posters on this board...but I simply don't see this happening.

I'm with you in not wanting it. I don't think it makes sense. In fact, the same conditions that would trigger Forbes starting (White being so bad that Mills has to be the PG of the bench) would trigger a spot for Walker or any other perimeter player. I think Forbes has a chance to getting the nod, but if nobody else among the deep-bench guys can make a case over Bryn, it's a bad, bad sign. I've been higher on Forbes historically (I started the Magazine thread after all), but unless he's gotten inexplicably better over the summer, he just doesn't have a game that wouldn't severely cap the team's ceiling.

TD 21
09-26-2018, 07:16 PM
If Gay playing even as little as the first 6 minutes of each half with the starters proves untenable, Belinelli would probably start before Mills.

Starting Mills would mean White, an unproven combo guard, playing as the lone ball handler on the 2nd unit.

Pau Gasol already let it slipped that Derrick White is the backup point. Watch his latest practice interview. Derrick is our Manu-lite.

Considering there was no alternative, as far as play making, this went without saying.

Chinook
09-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Hold me to it.

I don't think DeRozan is in the conversation. He's the SF in my mind unless the team finds a three-and-D wing to play there. Beli should be a two-guard, but it really depends on whether Pop is planning on Bertans being a regular rotation player. If not, yet another guard will get a rotation spot. In any event, it's all up to White in my mind. The team certainly hasn't done enough to prepare for the possibility of White failing. But if he does fail, the team can't just keep running with him just to avoid starting Forbes. You could argue that Murray/Forbes and Mills/Beli is the best option in a White-less guard rotation, though as I said, starting Cun or Walker would still be more desirable for me.

Chinook
09-26-2018, 07:21 PM

While I expect to see Murray/Mills starting and White/Belinelli off the bench, I hope it's not set in stone yet. I like White a lot, but this early in the process, he shouldn't be guaranteed a rotation spot. In that same vein, neither should Patty be guaranteed a starting spot, and that's what your recount of Pau's words suggests. This just seems like a really big pre-season for those young guys and new players.

ace3g
09-26-2018, 07:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Z_dnFs_SE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zc48OtTN-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_Yc8KwvXM