PDA

View Full Version : Who's excited to see Poetl play, more than DeRozan?

playbonner15
09-27-2018, 05:19 AM
Would love to see Pop utilize him to his max potential. Reminds me when the team had a roll man like Splitter. Too bad Manu retired. They would've been great to watch on the P&R

ragas
09-27-2018, 05:43 AM
Since being drafted, Jakob is underrated. I hope he proves Masai Ujiri wrong to have traded him. And I think he will if he get's the GO to play his game.

In Toronto he had to do the dirty work. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong to do the dirty work, but Jakob has the potential to do more than that. And I guess Pop has seen that. When I saw Pop speaking highly about Jakob in his interview after last year's game against the Raptors I already thought that he will end up one day in San Antonio. It went faster than expected. Good for Jakob, good for the Spurs.

Ice009
09-27-2018, 05:51 AM
Since being drafted, Jakob is underrated. I hope he proves Masai Ujiri wrong to have traded him. And I think he will if he get's the GO to play his game.

In Toronto he had to do the dirty work. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong to do the dirty work, but Jakob has the potential to do more than that. And I guess Pop has seen that. When I saw Pop speaking highly about Jakob in his interview after last year's game against the Raptors I already thought that he will end up one day in San Antonio. It went faster than expected. Good for Jakob, good for the Spurs.

Have you watched Jakob much? You seem to know a bit about him. What is his game other than doing the "dirty work"?

I like the guy. I really hope he becomes a good/great player for the Spurs. He doesn't have to be a star on offense or anything. If he was just to become decent on offense (I certainly won't complain if he becomes better than decent on that end of the court), and be good/great on defense and rebounding, then I'd be pretty happy with that. He seems like a tough, aggressive player (which I like), while also having a good personality. I like what I've heard from him so far.

ceperez
09-27-2018, 06:19 AM
Everyone knows what to expect from DeRozan.

Nobody knows what Poetl can do (or can't). So any upside will be a surprise.

John B
09-27-2018, 06:52 AM
If Gasol’s statement of willing to come from the bench is any indication, Pops is transitioning to start Poetl over Pau sooner than later. I expect him to be starting after a few weeks. And he’d be great improvement over Pau on defense, switching on PNR’s with his agile feet, keeping his ground on D, chasing 50/50 balls, help defense blocking shots. He would be in the thick of things. He would’ve been a great rollman with Manu ala Splitter without the punky layup. I still cringe on the thought of Splitter’s hookshots, yikes! I’m excited to see him play and would come out as another great move by Pops/RJ to acquire him over the more popular OG or Siakam. LMA can actually dominate the smaller PF with him in the lineup. And with 2 of the best big men in Duncan and Gasol to mentor him, I can’t wait for his development as a true force in the middle. I wouldn’t be surprised if Splitter and Diaw would be back to show him some of the beautiful game.

TDMVPDPOY
09-27-2018, 07:15 AM
IS POETL better then splitter?

hater
09-27-2018, 07:41 AM
Fuck league pass charged me
For another year without my consent

Fuckig assholes

I guess Ill be forced to watch this group of scrub every other day for the next 9 momths :lol

ragas
09-27-2018, 07:42 AM
Since I'm Austrian and Jakob ist the only NBA player from Austria, I've seen almost every Raptors game. ;-) But I watched him already playing for the Utes in college and obviously his games with the Austrian National Team.

Mainly there are 2 points of critizism of his game:

1) Weak defensive rebounder
It's true that he has to put on some muscle to be really good on the defensive board, but watch him play on defense for the Raptors. Then you understand why his def. rebound stats don't stand out. Because he's so mobile, he didn't play so much under the rim like other centers (like Valanciunas). He also was often needed to help out and to leave his position. Unfortunately the helper got no help more than once. In addition, he often forgoes easy rebounds in transition and leave it to the guards. When traditional centers try to get each defensive rebound, he already runs down the floor.

2) Can't shoot
Here's obviously room for improvement, but he has shown good touch in the past.
His free throw percentage isn't promising, but on the one side I think it has to do with the way he plays. He wasn't used to play at such a high pace. On the other side he doesn't shoot a high volume and got no rhythmn. I'm sure he can do better. For example: In the Summer 2017 he played three or four games for the national team and shot 77% (22/26) from the line.
I also think that he can be an average three-point-shooter or at least a good midrange-shooter. He was an okay shooter from behind the line when he was younger and played in Austria. The problem is he didn't shoot it (in games) in the last four years.

+ quick feet (watch how he defended Durant and Curry)
+ high BB IQ
+ screens
+ shot-blocking
+ almost always in the right position
+ offensive rebounding
+ work ethic

- boxing out / defensive rebounding (has to gain some muscle without losing his quickness)
- shooting (there's potential)
- killer instinct (play with confidence!)

The last point is an important one. Sometimes I have the impression that he thinks too much about it what he could do wrong. That's the downside of being drafted by a competing team like Toronto. There was no room for mistakes.

tbdog
09-27-2018, 07:50 AM
IS POETL better then splitter?

I expect year 3 splitter tbh.

SAGirl
09-27-2018, 08:11 AM
Since I'm Austrian and Jakob ist the only NBA player from Austria, I've seen almost every Raptors game. ;-) But I watched him already playing for the Utes in college and obviously his games with the Austrian National Team.

It's true that he has to put on some muscle to be really good on the defensive board, but watch him play on defense for the Raptors. Then you understand why his def. rebound stats don't stand out. Because he's so mobile, he didn't play so much under the rim like other centers (like Valanciunas). He also was often needed to help out and to leave his position. Unfortunately the helper got no help more than once. In addition, he often forgoes easy rebounds in transition and leave it to the guards. When traditional centers try to get each defensive rebound, he already runs down the floor.

2) Can't shoot
His free throw percentage isn't promising, but on the one side I think it has to do with the way he plays. He wasn't used to play at such a high pace. On the other side he doesn't shoot a high volume and got no rhythmn. I'm sure he can do better. For example: In the Summer 2017 he played three or four games for the national team and shot 77% (22/26) from the line.
I also think that he can be an average three-point-shooter or at least a good midrange-shooter. He was an okay shooter from behind the line when he was younger and played in Austria. The problem is he didn't shoot it (in games) in the last four years.

+ high BB IQ
+ screens
+ shot-blocking
+ offensive rebounding
+ work ethic

- boxing out / defensive rebounding (has to gain some muscle without losing his quickness)

The last point is an important one. Sometimes I have the impression that he thinks too much about it what he could do wrong. That's the downside of being drafted by a competing team like Toronto. There was no room for mistakes.
Appreciate this breakdown.
Quality post!

Canyonero
09-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Cause he's white?

TXstbobcat
09-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Fuck league pass charged me
For another year without my consent

Fuckig assholes

I guess Ill be forced to watch this group of scrub every other day for the next 9 momths :lol

League pass always does the auto renewal every year even when you tell them not to. They did that to me every year when i had league pass living in Minneapolis.

duncan2k5
09-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Let's calm down a bit... I remember ppl talking this highly of Joff last year... We know how that turned out...

BillMc
09-27-2018, 08:57 AM
More excited than seeing DeRozan? No. But I am excited to see what Poetl has.

playbonner15
09-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Sucks that Manu’s not gonna play with Poetl coz Yak can definitely catch passes from Manu. Who’s the best playmaker that’s gonna pair with him? Derozan? White?

SpurPadre
09-27-2018, 10:00 AM
I'm not, his face reminds me of Bonner tbh.

Maddog
09-27-2018, 10:07 AM
More excited than seeing DeRozan? No. But I am excited to see what Poetl has.

I put it as more intrigued by Poeltl than DeMar as we have an inkling about who and what type of palyer he is- although probably didn't appreciate his playmaking skills as well- See TIMVP post.

The default comparison is Splitter. Both similar size, White with germanic sounding names -Stereotypes are areal time saver! (i'm joking...)
I've always disliked comparisons as no two palyers are ever really completely alike.
There are some similarities. Splitter was never a great Defensive rebounder either for some of the same reasons Ragas pointed out. Great at Boxing out, but not a great rebounder. Splitter was very mobile, great passer and smart so evidently some similarities.

Peoltl is a good shot blocker, whereas Splitter was not. Might be my impression, although listed as similar size, Peoltl looks a bit bigger.

KDKSpurs24
09-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Let's calm down a bit... I remember ppl talking this highly of Joff last year... We know how that turned out...
Not even close to the same thing. People should have known what to expect because Joff barely got on the floor with Denver and whoever else he played for. Knew he couldn’t play defense. Jakob was a contributing piece on a 59 win team (idc what conference). He also is known for defense unlike Joff. He was drafted 9th so he is perceived to have more potential. This guy will be a + for the team. Book it.

BackHome
09-27-2018, 11:08 AM
I remember one poster who basically saidHe warned us about Joffrey that he will show flashes of being good but was fools gold and would be disappointed

Ice009
09-27-2018, 11:25 AM
I remember one poster who basically saidHe warned us about Joffrey that he will show flashes of being good but was fools gold and would be disappointed

I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure that is was a french poster. I actually thought at the time he was too harsh on his fellow countryman, but I guess it was the rest of us that were too lenient on him.

SAGirl
09-27-2018, 11:45 AM
that was my friend Brazil (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14466).

Even as a french fan he wasn't all that crazy about that signing. (Apalisoc was celebrating it since he had mentioned a day or two prior that the guy was available and the Spurs should look into him... he just so happened to have hit a bullseye with that one and he milked it for all it was worth at the time.)

JOLO looked good enough in preseason. Not great by any means, just good enough to be serviceable some minutes. That turned out to not be the case. Playing JOLO = loss.

That's a warning about preseason "fool's gold".

Edit: There was a contingent of fans that argued the Spurs should have drafted Jordan Bell instead of White, considering their need for defensive oriented bigs, and athleticism. Objective, TD 21, Manu4tres, Chinook, many frequent posters argued for this. Objective specially was very vocal against JOLO>

Anyways, I really didn't pay attention to the draft last year until it was over so I was ______ (draw a blank). In retrospect, the Spurs have to play White this season. They took him in the draft with legit NBA players still available on the board bc they saw something. So I do hope to see White flourish this year.

8FOR!3
09-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Not even close to the same thing. People should have known what to expect because Joff barely got on the floor with Denver and whoever else he played for. Knew he couldn’t play defense. Jakob was a contributing piece on a 59 win team (idc what conference). He also is known for defense unlike Joff. He was drafted 9th so he is perceived to have more potential. This guy will be a + for the team. Book it.

Yeah. People who talked up Joffrey talked him up because they thought maybe we'd get the most out of his potential. But there's a reason why he's out of the league at this point.

BackHome
09-27-2018, 10:51 PM
As long as JP can catch a pass and dunk and set good picks and play decent defense I will be happy as hell

Stabula
09-28-2018, 02:31 AM
Checking in.

DeRozan will have a shit year, Aldridge will come back down to Earth but still be good, Poetl will be a beast, Murray will put both points and turnovers up, Belinelli and Mills will both have moments where they're the most hated players on the forum, and Forbes will surprise everyone with a breakout season. Book it.

Brazil
09-28-2018, 07:04 AM
that was my friend Brazil (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14466).

Even as a french fan he wasn't all that crazy about that signing. (Apalisoc was celebrating it since he had mentioned a day or two prior that the guy was available and the Spurs should look into him... he just so happened to have hit a bullseye with that one and he milked it for all it was worth at the time.)

JOLO looked good enough in preseason. Not great by any means, just good enough to be serviceable some minutes. That turned out to not be the case. Playing JOLO = loss.

Edit: There was a contingent of fans that argued the Spurs should have drafted Jordan Bell instead of White, considering their need for defensive oriented bigs, and athleticism. Objective, TD 21, Manu4tres, Chinook, many frequent posters argued for this. Objective specially was very vocal against JOLO>

Anyways, I really didn't pay attention to the draft last year until it was over so I was ______ (draw a blank). In retrospect, the Spurs have to play White this season. They took him in the draft with legit NBA players still available on the board bc they saw something. So I do hope to see White flourish this year.

:tu

on my side joff disappointment is all but a surprise :lol.. 1 good game 10 trash games rinse and repeat.. dude is soft and unconsistent..

monkeypunk
09-28-2018, 08:38 AM
League pass always does the auto renewal every year even when you tell them not to. They did that to me every year when i had league pass living in Minneapolis.

They just did it to me too but luckily I got it through an Ethiopian vpn last year so it's only like 45 bucks. Market forces are awesome sometimes...

Kobe'sAchilles
09-28-2018, 08:56 AM
I was excited about seeing him until I realized I would have to listen to Bill Land saying Poetl Power all season long...

DJR210
09-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Great thing is getting him here in the system at 22 vs 27-28 like we did with Splitter

objective
09-28-2018, 10:38 AM

Poeltl is something to look forward to for sure. The jump from Joffrey to Poeltl should take casual observers by surprise.

Re: Bell and his draft, I did have White on my list of guys that I liked, just not ahead of Bell or Bolden. GS drafting Bell in that trade put me in a bad mood.

But my arguments against White over Bell were short term and accurate. I knew White wouldn't play as a rookie no matter how good he looked in g-league or spot minutes or how bad others in front of him looked. But I thought Bell had an avenue to play as a rookie and he would be a useful defender on a team with strong defenders like Kawhi and Green. It ultimately didn't matter due to Kawhi quitting. Bell would have been drafted to play with Kawhi in defensive lineups, but probably not nearly as good a fit without Kawhi

SpursDynasty85
09-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Don't know much about the guy but I sincerely hopes he is good enough to relegate Gasol to the garbage minutes category. His skinnier frame and tendency to foul seems troubling but I'm more excited to see how an all star (Derozan) fits into the Spurs rather than one who likely won't be an all star.

D Emily D
09-28-2018, 11:48 AM

ceperez
09-28-2018, 12:25 PM

2) Can't shoot

+ high BB IQ
+ screens
+ shot-blocking
+ offensive rebounding
+ work ethic

Thanks for the detailed scouting report.

The lesser talented Tiago Splitter was able to do well because he had a lot of other players that could pass him the ball at the right time. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Diaw.

Today's Spurs don't have that kind of experience or basketball IQ. So, althought Poetl is perhaps one of the most talented big for the Spurs in a very long time, he'll have to work a lot more harder to get the kind of easy baskets Tiago had to make. Defensively though, I think he'll do better than Tiago.

Truth4sale$
09-28-2018, 12:43 PM
I am just happy to see some youth at the center spot. Poetl has some game, I would rather see him sooner than later in the starting lineup. He needs to be starting over Gasol by Dec 1.

JPB
09-28-2018, 12:53 PM
They just did it to me too but luckily I got it through an Ethiopian vpn last year so it's only like 45 bucks. Market forces are awesome sometimes...

Ethiopian VPNs are underrated tbh.

superbigtime
09-28-2018, 02:30 PM
I'm certainly not more excited to see Poeltl than I am DD. I just hope he plays efficiently. Inefficient players don't stick in SA. Some exceptions of course.

If he's better than Rasho, that would be a good thing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-28-2018, 04:54 PM
I won't be excited if Poetl plays more than DeRozan.

wildbill2u
09-28-2018, 07:25 PM
Would love to see Pop utilize him to his max potential. Reminds me when the team had a roll man like Splitter. Too bad Manu retired. They would've been great to watch on the P&R

Agree with the Manu comment. Seems to have good hands and can move on the pnr. Ah well, we will always miss him. Not sure I'm more excited aboout Pooter than De Rozan, but am more curious. I think DeRozan is a proven product will Jacob is an unknnown that is very intriguing. Im hoping he will be out next good big man. He has a lot of skills I think.

Leetonidas
09-28-2018, 07:42 PM
I would not say I'm more excited but Imo Poeltl is severely underrated and he is easily the best big Spurs have had in a long time not named Tim/LMA. He's a rich man's Tiago Imo and a much, much better defensive player. I hope he is starting next to Aldridge. He and LMA will help mask DDR on defense especially considering he'll have two good defensive bigs behind him and not Valancunias' garbage ass and 36 year old Abaka

dbestpro
09-28-2018, 08:53 PM
Poodle is the best big the Spurs have had since Scola.

Slippy
09-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Hoping hes a starter by end of season. If they going to run its going to be a lot tougher with Gasol lagging behind.

His defense will add to the teams defense.

Kawhifan5000
09-28-2018, 10:50 PM
As a raptors fan... I will miss poetl more than that pussy DeRozan. Poetl was our best defensive big and is very mobile. It's too bad we couldn't have traded wright or something instead.

Spurtacular
09-29-2018, 12:17 AM
I'd have to be excited before I could be more excited, tbh.

ace3g
09-29-2018, 01:03 AM
If it gets Arnold Schwarzenegger to come to a Spurs game...yes !!!!

playbonner15
09-29-2018, 07:35 AM
If it gets Arnold Schwarzenegger to come to a Spurs game...yes !!!!
WHOAH I hope Yak can get him tickets!

playbonner15
09-29-2018, 07:46 AM
As a raptors fan... I will miss poetl more than that pussy DeRozan. Poetl was our best defensive big and is very mobile. It's too bad we couldn't have traded wright or something instead.
Saw him play vs the Spurs and wished he was on the team vs the Warriors, with Manu feeding him the ball and dunking over Draymond and West and getting the rebounds. Granted it was vs Pau and Joffrey when he played against SA but the hussle and effort was there

playbonner15
10-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Poetl looked good with the Raptors, not so much with the Spurs

Chinook
10-20-2018, 11:28 PM
Poetl looked good with the Raptors, not so much with the Spurs

Blows chunks, tbh. It's an insult to compare him to Splitter in terms of polish. Tim's going to have his hands full turning Jakob into an legit NBA player.

objective
10-20-2018, 11:52 PM
Yeah, based on the limited sample size ... Poeltl kind of sucks

He's better than Joffrey but isn't playing like he's much better.

RC and Pop losing the Kawhi trade in new ways.

Raptors beat the wizards without Kawhi, meanwhile Spurs get pounded

tbdog
10-20-2018, 11:53 PM
Was this a bad read on Spurs scouts to want him in the deal?

SpurPadre
10-20-2018, 11:54 PM
At this point, I'm more excited to see Bonner eat a sandwich than watch Poetl play tbh.

slick'81
10-21-2018, 12:14 AM
Poodle was clearly overdrafted and tor def wanted to dump the former #9 pick

Chinook
10-21-2018, 12:19 AM
Was this a bad read on Spurs scouts to want him in the deal?

It's a terrible read to want him if they had any real chance to get OG or Siakam. At best, Poe will be a more athletic Splitter. That's really good, but it's not better than two guys who already play really good defense and fit better next to Aldridge. In a different version of the trade where Kawhi and Gasol were traded instead, then having Poe be part of the package is almost necessary. Once they let Toronto back out of that deal, however, it didn't make a bunch of sense, especially with Milutinov overseas and Metu freshly drafted (and so many bigs available for the minimum or LLE).

Ditty
10-21-2018, 12:24 AM
It would help if Pop would play y him more than ten minutes.

Mr. Body
10-21-2018, 12:27 AM
I'm surprised he's sucked this much so far.

Chinook
10-21-2018, 12:29 AM
It would help if Pop would play y him more than ten minutes.

Might help Poe's pride. Wouldn't help the Spurs much at all right now.

siraulo23
10-21-2018, 12:30 AM
He sucks

Kobe'sAchilles
10-21-2018, 12:35 AM
I'm excited to see Poetl play! When does the season start though? Bc I don't think Poetl knows the answer to that question :rollin

MaNu4Tres
10-21-2018, 01:50 AM
Sell him before you wont be able to.

Metu has more to offer short & longterm.

TheGreatYacht
10-21-2018, 02:08 AM
The Spurs international scouts, much like the medical staff, deserve to be homeless right about now.

BackHome
10-21-2018, 02:22 AM
I am looking forward to Nikola replacing him.

Hoops Czar
10-21-2018, 02:32 AM
I'm surprised he's sucked this much so far.
You shouldn't be. There were plenty of posts hinting to this very fact. If you chose to ignore those posts, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

TimDunkem
10-21-2018, 02:49 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274294&p=9472488&viewfull=1#post9472488

Poetl sucks. He is who we - well, some of us - thought he was. Was wrong about Kawhi being dealt, obviously, but I knew settling for DD and Poeltl was less than ideal.

Andreas68
10-21-2018, 03:04 AM
It's all about confidence!!! Pöltl need a Team not only Egoists like LmA, DD and Gay. The hole team is Trash.No Fire no Spirit.
How can you performe in only 10min.each Game?

Hoops Czar
10-21-2018, 03:19 AM
It's all about confidence!!! Pöltl need a Team not only Egoists like LmA, DD and Gay. The hole team is Trash.No Fire no Spirit.

In 13 minutes, he did practically nothing and you think he should be playing more often?

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2018, 03:35 AM
this clown is crap then david lee when he was here... the great white hype

r0drig0lac
10-21-2018, 07:02 AM
funny

BackHome
10-21-2018, 12:59 PM
David Lee actually played very good until he got injured.

As far as Poodle I still think Nikola is a much better player I think JP needs about two or three more years before he figures NBA out.

ceperez
10-21-2018, 03:48 PM
David Lee actually played very good until he got injured.

As far as Poodle I still think Nikola is a much better player I think JP needs about two or three more years before he figures NBA out.

Well Nurkic looked like a giant out there!

TD 21
10-21-2018, 04:10 PM
He's been shockingly terrible, but it's way too soon to give up on him. He's already proven to be a quality player, but context matters. A rim runner needs to play with a play maker(s) and floor spacers. It was obvious he'd be a terrible fit alongside a post up big.

Playing 3 C's and Gay at SF has predictably proven untenable. So barring a drastic turnaround in his play or other injuries in the interim, the second White or Walker return, they should take his spot in the rotation. But it should only be temporary, as they should be shopping Gasol.

When the dust has settled on the trade deadline, there's no excuse for them to not have fixed this roster from a balance standpoint . . . yet I have zero confidence in them doing so.

007nites
10-21-2018, 05:20 PM
He's been soft. Last night Nurkic made him his bitch under the basket.

slick'81
10-21-2018, 06:11 PM
If rasho can be serviceable theres still hope for poodle power!

superbigtime
10-22-2018, 09:07 AM
If rasho can be serviceable theres still hope for poodle power!

I think sad truth is that he is nowhere near as good as Rasho was. And Rasho was pretty mediocre.

kobyz
10-22-2018, 11:07 AM
kind of player like him, if he's not rebounding like a beast doesn't have a place on the floor...

SpursDynasty85
10-22-2018, 11:15 AM
He's shown flashes. I'm not sure about his bbiq. He sometimes seems a step behind, especially on defense. Hopefully he studies up and plays with more control. He obviously needs to continue to bulk up. At 24 its not a big deal if he has a off night ever 2 or 3 games but hopefully he starts getting it. 2 games in is still too early.

cd98
10-22-2018, 01:07 PM
He'll get better with minutes and maturity. He has some good skills, but he still needs to put it all together.

Mirrornick
10-22-2018, 01:33 PM
As a raptors fan, I never really understood the hype about Poetl. SO many raptors fans were addicted to advanced stats and plus/minus etc.

ceperez
10-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Poetl and Jokic are the same age.

How the hell is Jokic so damn good????!

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/nikola-jokic-real-life-2k-posts-insane-triple-double-win-suns/

KDKSpurs24
10-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Poetl and Jokic are the same age.

How the hell is Jokic so damn good????!

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/nikola-jokic-real-life-2k-posts-insane-triple-double-win-suns/
Something called “Talent” lol. I’ll also throw in Jokic basketball IQ is extremely high.

BackHome
10-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Poodle played college ball in Utah while Jokic played professional but dont
quote me on that.

playbonner15
12-08-2018, 12:21 AM
Glad Poetl is finally contribootin