PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson: Anthony Davis Can Be 10 Times Better Than Tim Duncan

Thomas82
09-29-2018, 02:21 AM
Stephen Jackson said on The Jump yesterday that Anthony Davis can be 10 times better than Tim Duncan. I disagree with this 10000%!! I know I'm probably walking into a hornet's nest with this post, but I had to do it. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVPlHjsJ7HM

DejuanorwhatDude
09-29-2018, 02:39 AM
Can be? He's already turning 26. By then Tim Duncan had(was on the verge) of winning his second title. Tired of hearing that this guy is Tim's equal when he can't lead his team to shit. I mean at least a conference finals for fucks sake.

J_Paco
09-29-2018, 02:40 AM
Nah.......

hombre
09-29-2018, 02:46 AM
If it weren't for Tim, Stephen wouldn't have a ring. There's a bunch of teams Jackson didn't play for that he could talk shit about. Some reason he has to trash the one that got him a ring. What a self-important dude.

barakz21
09-29-2018, 02:54 AM
Idk.. Tim IS the reason I became a Spurs fan, and I think maybe, just maybe Davis IS already better than Tim. However, I’d still pick Tim. Maybe it’s just the homer and Tim fan in me or just the fact that Davis could only take his team to the first round AND could never stay healthy while Tim only missed a few games to injury and save for maybe 1 or 2 seasons (correct me if I’m wrong) always led his teams to at least the west semis.

Budkin
09-29-2018, 02:56 AM
Stephen Jackson said on The Jump yesterday that Anthony Davis can be 10 times better than Tim Duncan. I disagree with this 10000%!! I know I'm probably walking into a hornet's nest with this post, but I had to do it. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVPlHjsJ7HM

Utterly laughable.

DJR210
09-29-2018, 03:06 AM
:lol Stephen must have got held down and gang raped by the big 3 for the amount of bittnerness he holds towards the team. That denture having mf knows he doesn't believe that shit

J_Paco
09-29-2018, 03:26 AM
I'm almost a 100% percent sure that Stephen Jackson is an idiot and Davis will never, ever have a run comparable to Timmy in 2003.

Davis is a hybrid skill wise of Robinson and Garnett, but he still can't match Timmy on the glass, in the low post (on offense) or as a team defender. Timmy is arguably the greatest team defender of all time (with Bill Russell).

BillMc
09-29-2018, 03:44 AM
So Davis will bring 50 championships to the Pelicans?

Chillen
09-29-2018, 04:30 AM
He doesn't have the right coaching, basketball smarts and discipline or the supporting cast to be better than Tim was. Though he does have what it takes he is that talented. I agree with other posters right now David Robinson is a better comparison, Timmy isn't he is one of the all-time great players. I would love to see Davis in the silver and black though, not sure how Spurs could get him here.

Harry Callahan
09-29-2018, 04:32 AM
Stephen Jackson is in a lot of ways a really stupid guy - he also was never as good a player as he thought he was. Just look at the two or three rings he threw away due to his selfish ways. He can thank the Spurs for the many millions of dollars he made in the league. He was going nowhere in New Jersey.

These comments are a good way to show his stupidity.

Davis is already an injury waiting to happen. Davis is so bad ass he can elevate his team to the 8th seed. WOW!

Harry Callahan
09-29-2018, 04:36 AM
IIRC, the Spurs lost in the first round once with a healthy Tim Duncan on the floor in 19 years in the tougher Western Conf. One year Pop held Duncan out of the POs due to a knee injury (2000).

SouthTexasRancher
09-29-2018, 05:04 AM
I see nothing has changed. Stephen Jackson is still on the lower end of the IQ scale. Anthony Davis is good but, he has never led one of his teams to anything. Give me Tim Duncan every day of the week.

weeks
09-29-2018, 05:57 AM
okay jax definitely needs to shut the fuck up

tim carried multiple teams to championships and was always in the hunt.

widowmaker
09-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Can be but will never be. End of story.

r0drig0lac
09-29-2018, 06:13 AM
Nah.......

r0drig0lac
09-29-2018, 06:16 AM
Idk.. Tim IS the reason I became a Spurs fan, and I think maybe, just maybe Davis IS already better than Tim. However, I’d still pick Tim. Maybe it’s just the homer and Tim fan in me or just the fact that Davis could only take his team to the first round AND could never stay healthy while Tim only missed a few games to injury and save for maybe 1 or 2 seasons (correct me if I’m wrong) always led his teams to at least the west semis.

maybe with his finances, but the only certainty is that he is no better than Tim in playing basketball

Thomas82
09-29-2018, 06:52 AM
Utterly laughable.

I would have to agree with you on that.

Thomas82
09-29-2018, 06:57 AM
IIRC, the Spurs lost in the first round once with a healthy Tim Duncan on the floor in 19 years in the tougher Western Conf. One year Pop held Duncan out of the POs due to a knee injury (2000).

Yes, and that didn't happen until Year 18.

Dverde
09-29-2018, 07:10 AM
I’m sure if Timmy said Lonnie Walker could be 10 times better than SJAX, he would post some tirade while walking in a parking lot. I understand him taking shots at TP, but Timmy is “one of his best friends”.

baseline bum
09-29-2018, 07:18 AM

Um no, Duncan was a one man team in 00-01 and 01-02 and led the Spurs to 58 wins both times, and no one is going to tell me Davis' competition is more difficult when Duncan was going against Shaq, Rasheed, Webber, Garnett, Malone, and Nowitzki in the conference. I don't think Davis is very close to Robinson much less Duncan.

K...
09-29-2018, 07:35 AM
hmm what about anthony davis vs splitter....one has a ring one doesn't.....

Floyd Pacquiao
09-29-2018, 08:52 AM
Davis can't dominate and command a double team in the post every night like Duncan did.

Maddog
09-29-2018, 08:53 AM
hmm what about anthony davis vs splitter....one has a ring one doesn't.....

Davis vs Bonner
One has two rings one doesn't

I currently can't even compare Davis to DRob. Dave routinely got mediocre Spurs teams 50+ wins.
Sjax has like many people today learned how to keep himself in the news by just saying crazy things- And look- I'm taking the bait...

SpursDynasty85
09-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Stephen Jackson is there to rag on the Spurs, and kiss players butts so he can stay credible. Some players might rely on Stephen go relay some inside information every now and then (letting out dirty laundry). For the time being it is best not to pay attention to him. I have never seen Anthony Davis carry a team in any meaningful games yet.

Harry Callahan
09-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Yes, and that didn't happen until Year 18.

I thought it was against Memphis in 2011? Year 14? Hard to remember. A lot of success going on there.

D Emily D
09-29-2018, 10:01 AM
A lot of mathematical hyperbole going on in this thread!

Thomas82
09-29-2018, 10:24 AM
I thought it was against Memphis in 2011? Year 14? Hard to remember. A lot of success going on there.

In 2011 He had the bad ankle, and his knee was bothering him too.

dabom
09-29-2018, 10:37 AM
And now he gets views. :lmao

dabom
09-29-2018, 10:38 AM
rjv lock thread bro.

ismael-robert
09-29-2018, 10:45 AM
1 on 1 maybe. Yall are focused on team dynamics but Davis' athleticism and outside shooting he just may be the better INDIVIDUAL player

dabom
09-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Tim Takes over in the FOURTH. Davis got baby hands. :lmao

Chucho
09-29-2018, 10:53 AM
People triggered by a dude who has a job because the suits at ESPN dont realize they have two loud mouthed, never correct black dudes named Stephen on payroll. Funny.

daslicer
09-29-2018, 11:00 AM
I’m sure if Timmy said Lonnie Walker could be 10 times better than SJAX, he would post some tirade while walking in a parking lot. I understand him taking shots at TP, but Timmy is “one of his best friends”.

Don't fall for that bs. I doubt Tim is even friends with Jax. Jax says that shit about everybody before he disses them. Just like he said a bunch of times he loves the Spur's owners son and then goes on a rant about how the Spurs are garbage.

daslicer
09-29-2018, 11:02 AM
People triggered by a dude who has a job because the suits at ESPN dont realize they have two loud mouthed, never correct black dudes named Stephen on payroll. Funny.

People will always be triggered by Jax in here because he played a huge role in the media's campaign in destroying the Spurs during the Kawhi saga. Prior to that saga I didn't give shit what this dumbfuck had to say and I could easily ignore him.

daslicer
09-29-2018, 11:08 AM
1 on 1 maybe. Yall are focused on team dynamics but Davis' athleticism and outside shooting he just may be the better INDIVIDUAL player

Tim has physical strength on Davis and that gets you further in a game of one on one. Tim also has much better footwork than Davis which allows him to get easier buckets. From personal experience I have beaten guys in 1 on 1 who were more athletic than me.

I have hard time believing Duncan could not beat Davis since I have heard stories of how Tim used to beat Robinson in practice during his rookie year. Keep in mind Robinson was still in his prime around that time and is basically Davis on steroids.

Chucho
09-29-2018, 11:09 AM
People will always be triggered by Jax in here because he played a huge role in the media's campaign in destroying the Spurs during the Kawhi saga. Prior to that saga I didn't give shit what this dumbfuck had to say and I could easily ignore him.

I think you're over rating the hit the Spurs rep took over the Kawhi fiasco. And it wasnt so much the media as it was an ESPN tabloid story. I dont recall seeing anyone running down the Spurs outside of ESPN.

It's a Spurs board that has issues with players who have issues with their team. I'd be a little more defensive too if it was someone who has the mental acumen above an elementary school hoodlum who was more important than an over rated bench contributor for 1 title run.

TDomination
09-29-2018, 11:19 AM
The problem with these kind of statements is that you can't quantify how great Duncan was. His stats were good, he's got plenty of awards and trophys, but it goes way beyond that.

The Spurs were always great because of how coachable Duncan was and of course due to his strong desire to be the best and so many other traits.

I love Anthony Davis' game and he truly is an outstanding player. But to say that he can be 10 times better than Duncan is just a headline grabber. Nothing more.

Duncan is arguably top 5 All time NBA History. Anthony Davis 10 times better? Please

daslicer
09-29-2018, 11:26 AM
I think you're over rating the hit the Spurs rep took over the Kawhi fiasco. And it wasnt so much the media as it was an ESPN tabloid story. I dont recall seeing anyone running down the Spurs outside of ESPN.

It's a Spurs board that has issues with players who have issues with their team. I'd be a little more defensive too if it was someone who has the mental acumen above an elementary school hoodlum who was more important than an over rated bench contributor for 1 title run.

You are absolutely right about this but the problem is ESPN is the biggest sports media outlet in the world. So they have most powerful voice in sports media and can easily drown out the other voices.

benefactor
09-29-2018, 11:34 AM
People still care about what this motherfucker has to say?:lol

bklynspursfan
09-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Even in Tim's last year's AD couldn't handle him. He's more of a KG guy than Duncan. Doesn't defend bigger players as effectively and is basically a face up player. He can't hold a candle to TDs post game/footwork.

Kori Ellis
09-29-2018, 12:10 PM
"10 times better"? That player doesn't/can't exist.

phxspurfan
09-29-2018, 12:13 PM
K-8GWoC8Fp0

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-29-2018, 12:39 PM
AD will pull a KD and bandwagon his way to a couple of titles since he won’t lead the Pels there himself. He’s already edging that direction changing agents.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-29-2018, 12:47 PM
And did Sjax specify what AD would do 10x better than Duncan? Maybe it’s needlepoint...or eyebrow growth.

Spurtacular
09-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Hyperbole aside, S-Jax completely overlooks the things Tim is better at. Low post scoring, passing, screens, defensive positioning, rebounding, etc.

daslicer
09-29-2018, 02:03 PM
"10 times better"? That player doesn't/can't exist.

I would never even want that player to exist and not because Duncan is my favorite player but because the league would be pretty boring if a dominant player like that ever existed.

JohnnyMax
09-29-2018, 02:15 PM
NBA wants him to hype up marquee stars to sell their product. Here's another example of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRm3O7jjeu0&t=1m31s

barakz21
09-29-2018, 02:39 PM
maybe with his finances, but the only certainty is that he is no better than Tim in playing basketball

Sorry, I meant stat wise. I think Davis’ stats in recent years are already better than Tim’s in his best years, though I may be wrong. I do remember around the time of the ‘12 draft, that “experts” were projecting Tim as Davis’s ceiling.

barakz21
09-29-2018, 02:40 PM
Um no, Duncan was a one man team in 00-01 and 01-02 and led the Spurs to 58 wins both times, and no one is going to tell me Davis' competition is more difficult when Duncan was going against Shaq, Rasheed, Webber, Garnett, Malone, and Nowitzki in the conference. I don't think Davis is very close to Robinson much less Duncan.

My bad, forgot to mention that. And thanks for pointing it out.

kobyz
09-29-2018, 03:05 PM
maybe he meant he can be 10% of tim

TimmyBuckets
09-29-2018, 03:32 PM
Vintage Jax :drunk :smokin

Spurtacular
09-29-2018, 03:41 PM
I think Davis’ stats in recent years are already better than Tim’s in his best years, though I may be wrong.

Further proof that numerical arguments can be very deceiving.

To me, Duncan was the guy that went out and got 35-20-15-5-3 in the really big game. He was willing to let his teammates steal away would-be stats otherwise.

RD2191
09-29-2018, 03:53 PM
It's stupid to compare players from different eras imo. The game is different as are rules and other things. One thing is for sure though, Tim would be a winner in any era.

Spurs Homer
09-29-2018, 03:57 PM
Oh sure. If my aunt grew a penis - she'd be my uncle...

Tim played in an era with Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Dirk et al and has 5 rings. Tim played in an era where big men could be assaulted in the paint at will without a call. Tim played against Joey Crawford AND David Stern and has 5 rings.

Let the unibrow (who is a great player) get 5 rings - then we can talk.

*edited to add - Tim played with BONNER and still has 5 rings. :cry

Nathan89
09-29-2018, 03:59 PM
You can tell from his comment how basic his logic is. Literally a teenager level take.

superbigtime
09-29-2018, 04:07 PM
Loudmouth no count fool = Stephen Jackson. I respect Screamin A Smith way more than this douche. Just an agenda to be a dickhead.

barakz21
09-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Further proof that numerical arguments can be very deceiving.

To me, Duncan was the guy that went out and got 35-20-15-5-3 (tel:35-20-15-5-3) in the really big game. He was willing to let his teammates steal away would-be stats otherwise.

Yup, which is why I’d take Tim over him any day. He knows how to win. Also, you can count on him to actually
play.

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-29-2018, 05:07 PM
I don’t think he was trying to disrespect Tim. I think he was saying if Davis reaches his potential he could be better than Tim. He is pretty much saying Tim is the gold standard

dabom
09-29-2018, 05:12 PM
I don’t think he was trying to disrespect Tim. I think he was saying if Davis reaches his potential he could be better than Tim. He is pretty much saying Tim is the gold standard

It's a diss brah.

tonight...you
09-29-2018, 05:14 PM
By 10 times? Yeah... that's disrespect in it's hyperbolic nature.
Or he thinks like a kid...

TD 21
09-29-2018, 05:14 PM

I find him too unbearable to listen to, but if true that's nonsense. Like J_Paco said, Davis is a Robinson/Garnett hybrid. His stats, both advanced/counting, are off the charts, but his game doesn't lend itself to being an offensive hub for a championship team(s) the way Duncan's did in his era. Because of that and his inferior passing ability, he can't make his teammates better to nearly the same extent.

That's why Olajuwon and Duncan were better than Robinson and Garnett and why as much as I like Davis, I don't buy that he's the "Warriors Kryptonite", in the sense that he'd change the terms of engagement.

SAGirl
09-29-2018, 05:39 PM
10 times better than one of the top all-time players... yea, that is a hot take to get attention.

UnWantedTheory
09-29-2018, 06:19 PM
But won't be....

Spurtacular
09-29-2018, 06:21 PM
By 10 times? Yeah... that's disrespect in it's hyperbolic nature.
Or he thinks like a kid...

Close. He's hyping it up for pop culture's sake; many of the audience are kids who don't have a fine appreciation for Duncan.

R. DeMurre
09-29-2018, 06:51 PM
A lot of mathematical hyperbole going on in this thread!

:lol:lol

D-Robinson 50 fan
09-30-2018, 01:12 PM
10 times better than one of the top all-time players... yea, that is a hot take to get attention.

That’s exactly what it is.

He even explained why he said he COULD be better than Tim. The man didn’t say he is better than Tim. I agree with a lot of the folks takes that he has to help his team win more to be taken more seriously but Anthony Davis is a very skilled player and one of the best in the league at this time.

Their dialog on that video is kind of weak because they are acting like they don’t understand why he isn’t getting more acclaim than he has so far. They know it’s because the Pelicans have been a boarder line playoff team since he has been there. It’s not all his fault but besides Westbrook and his historical statistical season all the other MVP winners had winning teams.

Beartrucci
09-30-2018, 01:16 PM
Even Rachel Nichols who normally worships anything that idiot says was like "Chill..."

daslicer
09-30-2018, 01:23 PM
I find him too unbearable to listen to, but if true that's nonsense. Like J_Paco said, Davis is a Robinson/Garnett hybrid. His stats, both advanced/counting, are off the charts, but his game doesn't lend itself to being an offensive hub for a championship team(s) the way Duncan's did in his era. Because of that and his inferior passing ability, he can't make his teammates better to nearly the same extent.

That's why Olajuwon and Duncan were better than Robinson and Garnett and why as much as I like Davis, I don't buy that he's the "Warriors Kryptonite", in the sense that he'd change the terms of engagement.

Agreed. Also both Olajuwon and Duncan had great post games and could play back to the basket which is something Davis can't do.

TE
09-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Sjax been smoking too much of that pseudoweed tbh

DMC
09-30-2018, 04:06 PM
Tim could have been 10x better than Tim Duncan.

What's the point of talking about potential? It's just idle shit talk.

DMC
09-30-2018, 04:12 PM

So 10x better = 50 rings, average 200pts a game, 30 finals MVPs, 20 RS MVPs, like what, 100 rebounds a game? 30 assists or better? 30 or 40 blocks a game? Shoot 700% from the FT line...

Good thing he didn't say 10x better than Tony. Erin would be in a lot of trouble.

Russ
09-30-2018, 05:10 PM
He'd be better by this age -- Duncan was.

Brazil
09-30-2018, 05:24 PM
:lmao

jax is a giant pos with 0 credibility only people liking him are Parker haters :lmao

Ice009
10-01-2018, 01:40 AM
Agreed. Also both Olajuwon and Duncan had great post games and could play back to the basket which is something Davis can't do.

This is the whole point. If I'm starting a team, I take Duncan or Olajuwon. These two were great on BOTH sides of that ball (something Davis isn't), and they were also GREAT low post players (another thing Davis isn't good at that Jackson neglected to mention). Tim or Hakeem could play in any area. Davis can too, but I don't think he'd be anywhere near as good if you put him in the 90s low post era with that mediocre post game of his.

Jackson's a fucking idiot. I don't really want to even listen to him anymore if these are going to be his takes. Sometimes he pulls me back in because I really liked the guy in 2003, but with this crap he's talking, he may be crossing the line to where he's lost me completely no matter what he says from this point on.

ezau
10-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Stephen Jackson is still trying to be relevant in 2018 :lol

Figa
10-01-2018, 08:23 AM
the ship has sailed already for AD (not the 10x shit said by JAckson but the implicit "being as good as Timmy or better")

Tim was already having huge impact at 24 once the new millenium began. He became as good as Robinson defensively around that period and from 01-on his newly refined passing became crucial in those "lack of offense" 00-03 Spurs. (passing and IQ which also helped Duncan play with Manu and Parker without hindering their game)

so basically what will always separates TD from DAvis is:
-passing/screen setting/IQ. Creating for his teammates
- Defense

these are the macro areas that can change the outlook of a team.

now, Davis is obviously a better volume scorer and finisher but volume scoring from that position is not as important as a guard's scoring if you don't draw double teams. This is not enough to close the gap.

Another underrated aspect: Duncan was drawing fouls like a monster in the early 00, way better than Davis has ever shown. in these past playoffs he only had a FTr of .314 while Duncan was always around .450-.550 (!) in the early-mid '00 especially in the post season

FireMicoHalili
10-01-2018, 08:39 AM
best to just shun this washed out baller just trying to get a rise out of everybody. Some people make money saying pointless contrarian opinion because they just need the paycheck. Really seems like one of those guys. Same guy who cried over losing his starting job to Danny Green.

UncleDennis
10-01-2018, 08:51 AM
He's not even ten times better then 2016 Duncan with two bad knees.

duncan2k5
10-01-2018, 09:33 AM
He has the skills to be... He just doesn't have the mindset and ability to use those skills to dominate like Duncan did... Duncan was an elite level mvp caliber player from day 1

ATXtbh
10-01-2018, 09:52 AM
10 times... Jax salty as fuck. Even God the Creator is only like 5 times better than Duncan. Did he ever watch Timmy play?

ambchang
10-03-2018, 11:23 AM
The sad part about this is how SJax is supposed to be real, to speak his mind no matter what is at stake. But instead he had this anti spurs rant to make a name for himself and to drive personal agendas.

Thomas82
10-03-2018, 01:35 PM
The sad part about this is how SJax is supposed to be real, to speak his mind no matter what is at stake. But instead he had this anti spurs rant to make a name for himself and to drive personal agendas.

That's exactly how it's coming across.

rastaspur
10-03-2018, 01:46 PM
"Can be dumber than a box of rocks" - thats what it should read

rastaspur
10-03-2018, 01:49 PM

He is real........ real annoying. He is a clown still trying to be a tough guy. Its absurd.

Its like he is a solo black insane clown posse member. A sad clown and a joke. Only a hanful of idiots should be buying what this gimmick as clown is trying to sell.

Proxy
10-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Jax is an idiot, but I'm sure all the hate mail he gets from spursfan just exacerbates the stupidity. He's just on the other side laughing at the butthurt reactions.

SpursDynasty85
10-03-2018, 09:00 PM
I think his job is to makes Spurs fans salty and diminish Spurs players legacies. Caught him on ESPN talking about how Manu and TP were only System guys and the culture failed once Timmy left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAvwVsAEN8

daslicer
10-03-2018, 09:37 PM
I think his job is to makes Spurs fans salty and diminish Spurs players legacies. Caught him on ESPN talking about how Manu and TP were only System guys and the culture failed once Timmy left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAvwVsAEN8

Prior to the Kawhi situation I never paid that clown any mind. He got to me during the kawhi situation because he helped exacerbate it forward with him calling out Manu/TP/Pop about the team meeting with Kawhi. He gave the media the opening to destroy the Spurs when idiots like Stephen A kept on saying he was a credible source. Now with the Kawhi situation being over I can ignore him again and will ignore him. Spur fans should do the same.

He will continue to say stupid shit but eventually he will take himself out. It's only a matter of time before it happens.

Thomas82
10-04-2018, 02:55 AM
Stephen Jackson is still trying to be relevant in 2018 :lol

By disrespecting the man that got him his championship ring.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Sure , he can be - in the same way that Brynn Forbes can be 10 times better than Curry.

Laker_1995
10-04-2018, 08:50 AM
I’d take a 30+ year old Duncan over prime Davis. Duncan is the greatest PF of all time. This is disrespectful. Duncan would absolutely make Davis his bitch in his prime. AD is overrated at times. Don’t get me wrong I’ll still take him lol but Dude is one injury from retiring.