PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts: Preseason Game 1 - Heat @ Spurs – 9/30/18

timvp
10-01-2018, 03:24 PM
-Pop going with the Gay Old Time (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275826) starting lineup is not a shocking development but it’s definitely notable. Last season, Rudy Gay played approximately 85% of his minutes at power forward. To start at small forward this season would be quite the change. It’s possible Pop thinks Gay has now regained enough mobility to move back to the perimeter. It’s also possible that this was just one of the many starting lineups Pop will investigate in the preseason. We will see, however the fact that Pop also started the second quarter with the same lineup tells me he’s serious about Murray, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge and Gasol being the starting lineup.

-Rudy Gay certainly didn’t dissuade Pop with his play. He looks like he’s in outstanding shape and he played with a lot of confidence on the offensive end. He was in the right spots and was vocal about making sure others were in the right spots, too. The questions regarding whether Gay can start at small forward are almost all on the defensive end. Against the Heat, Gay wasn’t tested much at all so those questions are still unanswered. He made a few good rotations and was strong rebounding-wise but can Gay stay in front of quick small forwards? That’s what we’ll have to find out as the preseason progresses.

-Though DeMar DeRozan deferred a lot on offense and was tentative and unsure a lot of the time on that end, I thought he was decent enough in his Spurs debut. His ball-handling and passing were impressive; Pop ran him at point guard in a handful of possessions and DeRozan looked like an old pro at running the show. Defensively, you can tell DeRozan is really making an effort to improve. He was fighting around screens, which was rarely the case in Toronto, and was attentive to his help-defense responsibilities. If DeRozan can keep giving effort like he did on this play, he may actually shock the NBA world and transform into an adequate defender:

https://i.imgur.com/gwv2LQo.gif

-In addition to running DeRozan at point guard, Pop also used him in a ton of pick-and-rolls, which shouldn’t have surprised anyone. However, it was a bit surprising that the other go-to plays for DeRozan were post-up opportunities. He averaged less than two post-ups per game last year for the Raptors. Judging off of preseason game number one, DeRozan will spending a lot more time on the low block this season.

-LaMarcus Aldridge looks like he’s in good shape and I thought he played pretty well. He already showed some chemistry with DeRozan on pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops. That duo is going to run a ton of those plays this season and the early returns were positive. They have a long ways to go but the potential is exciting. If Aldridge and Derozan can master that two-man game, it could turn into one of the most lethal play calls in the league.

-Dejounte Murray had an up-and-down affair. The brightest spot for the third-year point guard was his aggressiveness with his shot. While he still turned down a few open looks, it’s obvious he’s going to try to make teams pay for leaving him open. Murray’s shot looked quicker than it was last season and his release off the dribble was a lot smoother. On defense, he had a few stretches where he was extremely disruptive. It looks like he could take even another step forward defensively, which is obviously very good news. On the other side of the coin, Murray’s ball-handling was iffy at times, his decision-making was sub par and his overall sloppiness couldn’t have won him any points with the coaching staff. Overall, though, I was happy with his first outing of the preseason simply due to the fact that he was aggressive with his shot – that is what has to change this season if he wants a long career as a starting point guard in the NBA.

-It wasn’t a very pretty outing for Pau Gasol. On offense, he was oftentimes just in the way. The Heat weren’t respecting his perimeter jumper enough to spread the court. On defense, Gasol looked overmatched against Hassan Whiteside. Let’s hope the 38-year-old can oil the joints as preseason progresses and he can find a niche on offense while having more of an impact on defense. Otherwise, he could turn into an expensive benchwarmer.

-Davis Bertans was probably the most promising Spur on this night. He moved extremely well on defense, was quick to help, and even mixed it up in the paint and on the boards. On offense, Bertans didn’t hesitate with his shot and repeatedly made the right passes. He looked like a player determined to carve out a lot of playing time this season.

-An important note with regard to Bertans is that Pop used him at small forward for a substantial amount of his time on the court. Last season, Bertans didn’t spend any time at small forward in the regular season or the playoffs. Maybe it was just a case of preseason rotations forcing Pop into playing Bertans at SF. Or maybe Pop is planning to use Bertans as this team’s de facto Kyle Anderson in that he’ll slide between the forward positions as needed.

-Jakob Poeltl is a work in progress but there were some good signs Sunday night. He missed a few box-out opportunities but was solid enough on the boards, particularly for someone who came into this season with a rep as a poor defensive rebounder. I really liked how he ran the court; he’s definitely a coordinated bigman with soft hands. Poeltl’s overall timing wasn’t there, most notably on pick-and-rolls on offense and help-wise on defense. He has a lot of work to do but he looks like a really valuable piece going forward.

-While his numbers looked good, it wasn’t all sunshine for Derrick White. He struggled handling the ball in the first half and his decision-making was inconsistent throughout the game. He also missed a few rotations on defense. The good news is the kid is skilled. He can score with ease when he puts his mind to it and his perimeter jumper looks effortless. White also has good court vision and his sneaky athleticism has a chance to make him a very good defender – both on the ball and off of it.

-Does Pop see White as a point guard or a shooting guard? After the first preseason game, I think it’s safe to say Pop sees White as a point guard. When White was on the court with Patty Mills, White was the one running point guard. Personally, I think that’s the right call. White’s ceiling as a point guard is a lot higher than his ceiling as a shooting guard.

-There wasn't anything new to report for Patty Mills. He ran pick-and-rolls well a couple times on offense and had a few good moments on defense. As noted above, Pop used Mills at shooting guard more than point guard. We'll have to see if that continues or if that was just a way to give White an extra long look.

-Marco Belinelli looked like he never left. Pop had Belinelli run a few plays that Manu Ginobili used to run and the Italian did a good job. Belinelli missed a few open shots but overall I was impressed. He gave life to the second unit and his movement off the ball helped open up scoring lanes. His defense was nothing to write home about but he was decent enough on that end.

-I heard Bryn Forbes had a really good training camp but, unfortunately, it didn’t translate to the first game of the preseason. Although it appears he added about ten pounds of muscle over the summer, the increased bulk didn’t help him on the defense end. He was just pretty damn bad in all areas on that end; he couldn’t stay in front of his man and got bodied out of the way when in the paint. Offensively, he couldn’t find a rhythm at all. His lack of height or strength also hurt him in multiple situations. Forbes obviously still has time to turn it around before the regular season starts but this was not a good way to come out of the gates.

-Chimezie Metu has an impressive amount mobility for a bigman. Though he can look like gangly newborn fawn at times, Metu can move his feet like a small forward. Considering Pop was running him at center, that alone makes him an intriguing prospect. Metu is going to have to figure out how to impact an NBA game in a positive manner but I’d say he passed the eye-test during his first time in silver and black.

-On the hand, I didn’t think Quincy Pondexter passed the eye-test. His feet just don’t look quick enough for him to emerge as a three-and-D small forward option. He’s had a lot of injuries and ailments over the years and it appears he’s been robbed of too much athleticism.

-There weren’t any surprises with Dante Cunningham. He hustles. He plays hard. He doesn’t have much skill. I thought it was interesting that when both he and Bertans were on the court, Pop played Cunningham at power forward and Bertans at small forward. That probably points to Cunningham making the team only if the coaching staff thinks the team needs bigman depth.

-I couldn't draw any conclusions about Jaron Blossomgame. I want to say Jaron's game blossomed over the summer but the truth is he didn't do anything to hurt or help him.

-Drew Eubanks didn’t do much good but he appears to have a live body for someone who is 6-foot-10 and 245 pounds.

-Okaro White looks like a classic tweener. Sometimes that works in today’s NBA but I didn’t see anything on Sunday to give much hope. He wasn’t big enough to grab rebounds in the paint and wasn’t quick enough to stay in front of small players on the perimeter.

-Nick Johnson closed out the game at point guard but he looked like a solid veteran option for the Austin Spurs.

Welp, Dex posted his thoughts first. Read his here. (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275845)

rjv
10-01-2018, 03:34 PM
:bobo

SAGirl
10-01-2018, 03:35 PM
I think Rudy moving a spot is a consequence of roster construction.
Bc JOLO (Lauvergne) sucked, the team effectively had only 2 bigs last season. Spurs also probably planned to play him next to the Nephew last season anyways, therefore having a lot of minutes accounted for between the SF and PF spot. This would explain PATFO feeling comfortable with their big rotation after signing someone like JOLO.

Anyways, this year without Nephew and getting Poltl in the trade, they have gone back to playing the 2 bigs and definitely have better big depth now that Bertans also seems to look like a quality rotation player. I think we will probably still see Rudy at the 4 at times, when teams go "small" but he probably will play more SF than last season.

Rudy also seemed in the offseaoson to prepare physically for this role, based on his social media accounts and I don't doubt that he wants to establish himself as a starting quality SF again. He only signed the one year contract so it's a contract year and considering the roster construction and how well he's playing it would be murder to not give him the opportunity.

Pavlov
10-01-2018, 03:37 PM
I thought Blossomgame's hustle distinguished a bit him in the garbage lineups. Nothing else was going to be possible in the four-forward group.

Dex
10-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Good stuff timvp. Your writeups are always engaging to read and on point. Good to have you back around more often.

Didn't mean to steal your thunder on Game Thoughts. :lol I was able to catch the full game yesterday and actually had some time to kill this morning. Will probably be more of a rarity for me.

TDomination
10-01-2018, 03:58 PM
the rotations looking pretty good on that one clip that was posted. its just one play but it makes me think that if everyone buys into the defensive mantra, we should still be a decent defensive squad.

Thanks for write up Timvp.

Wow 2 write ups for one preseason game between Dex and Timvp. Has that happened before? I feel a lot of energy going into this season.

ceperez
10-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Nice review.

Gay can improve a lot by simplifying his game. He's long enough to take the 3 point shot uncontested.

I highly suspect Murray's playmaking at point. It makes sense though that DeRozan get the ball and cook up a play in the the Gay old time lineup.

I do like Bertans at SF. He just doesn't have the bulk at PF.

Yeah, White is likely the only natural PG in the team!

Pondexter not likely to make it. Blossomgame likely to be two-way contract. I don't know yet about White, haven't seen enough. Huestis, I found out signed a contract to play in China a week ago. Makes sense, if he wasn't guarantee more than a two-way, he might as well earn some decent money elsewhere. 15th spot might remain open.

phxspurfan
10-01-2018, 04:23 PM
-Pop going with the Gay Old Time (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275826) starting lineup is not a shocking development but it’s definitely notable. Last season, Rudy Gay played approximately 85% of his minutes at power forward. To start at small forward this season would be quite the change. It’s possible Pop thinks Gay has now regained enough mobility to move back to the perimeter. It’s also possible that this was just one of the many starting lineups Pop will investigate in the preseason. We will see, however the fact that Pop also started the second quarter with the same lineup tells me he’s serious about Murray, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge and Gasol being the starting lineup.

-Rudy Gay certainly didn’t dissuade Pop with his play. He looks like he’s in outstanding shape and he played with a lot of confidence on the offensive end. He was in the right spots and was vocal about making sure others were in the right spots, too. The questions regarding whether Gay can start at small forward are almost all on the defensive end. Against the Heat, Gay wasn’t tested much at all so those questions are still unanswered. He made a few good rotations and was strong rebounding-wise but can Gay stay in front of quick small forwards? That’s what we’ll have to find out as the preseason progresses.

-Though DeMar DeRozan deferred a lot on offense and was tentative and unsure a lot of the time on that end, I thought he was decent enough in his Spurs debut. His ball-handling and passing were impressive; Pop ran him at point guard in a handful of possessions and DeRozan looked like an old pro at running the show. Defensively, you can tell DeRozan is really making an effort to improve. He was fighting around screens, which was rarely the case in Toronto, and was attentive to his help-defense responsibilities. If DeRozan can keep giving effort like he did on this play, he may actually shock the NBA world and transform into an adequate defender:

https://i.imgur.com/gwv2LQo.gif

-In addition to running DeRozan at point guard, Pop also used him in a ton of pick-and-rolls, which shouldn’t have surprised anyone. However, it was a bit surprising that the other go-to plays for DeRozan were post-up opportunities. He averaged less than two post-ups per game last year for the Raptors. Judging off of preseason game number one, DeRozan will spending a lot more time on the low block this season.

-LaMarcus Aldridge looks like he’s in good shape and I thought he played pretty well. He already showed some chemistry with DeRozan on pick-and-rolls and pick-and-pops. That duo is going to run a ton of those plays this season and the early returns were positive. They have a long ways to go but the potential is exciting. If Aldridge and Derozan can master that two-man game, it could turn into one of the most lethal play calls in the league.

-Dejounte Murray had an up-and-down affair. The brightest spot for the third-year point guard was his aggressiveness with his shot. While he still turned down a few open looks, it’s obvious he’s going to try to make teams pay for leaving him open. Murray’s shot looked quicker than it was last season and his release off the dribble was a lot smoother. On defense, he had a few stretches where he was extremely disruptive. It looks like he could take even another step forward defensively, which is obviously very good news. On the other side of the coin, Murray’s ball-handling was iffy at times, his decision-making was sub par and his overall sloppiness couldn’t have won him any points with the coaching staff. Overall, though, I was happy with his first outing of the preseason simply due to the fact that he was aggressive with his shot – that is what has to change this season if he wants a long career as a starting point guard in the NBA.

-It wasn’t a very pretty outing for Pau Gasol. On offense, he was oftentimes just in the way. The Heat weren’t respecting his perimeter jumper enough to spread the court. On defense, Gasol looked overmatched against Hassan Whiteside. Let’s hope the 38-year-old can oil the joints as preseason progresses and he can find a niche on offense while having more of an impact on defense. Otherwise, he could turn into an expensive benchwarmer.

-Davis Bertans was probably the most promising Spur on this night. He moved extremely well on defense, was quick to help, and even mixed it up in the paint and on the boards. On offense, Bertans didn’t hesitate with his shot and repeatedly made the right passes. He looked like a player determined to carve out a lot of playing time this season.

-An important note with regard to Bertans is that Pop used him at small forward for a substantial amount of his time on the court. Last season, Bertans didn’t spend any time at small forward in the regular season or the playoffs. Maybe it was just a case of preseason rotations forcing Pop into playing Bertans at SF. Or maybe Pop is planning to use Bertans as this team’s de facto Kyle Anderson in that he’ll slide between the forward positions as needed.

-Jakob Poeltl is a work in progress but there were some good signs Sunday night. He missed a few box-out opportunities but was solid enough on the boards, particularly for someone who came into this season with a rep as a poor defensive rebounder. I really liked how he ran the court; he’s definitely a coordinated bigman with soft hands. Poeltl’s overall timing wasn’t there, most notably on pick-and-rolls on offense and help-wise on defense. He has a lot of work to do but he looks like a really valuable piece going forward.

-While his numbers looked good, it wasn’t all sunshine for Derrick White. He struggled handling the ball in the first half and his decision-making was inconsistent throughout the game. He also missed a few rotations on defense. The good news is the kid is skilled. He can score with ease when he puts his mind to it and his perimeter jumper looks effortless. White also has good court vision and his sneaky athleticism has a chance to make him a very good defender – both on the ball and off of it.

-Does Pop see White as a point guard or a shooting guard? After the first preseason game, I think it’s safe to say Pop sees White as a point guard. When White was on the court with Patty Mills, White was the one running point guard. Personally, I think that’s the right call. White’s ceiling as a point guard is a lot higher than his ceiling as a shooting guard.

-There wasn't anything new to report for Patty Mills. He ran pick-and-rolls well a couple times on offense and had a few good moments on defense. As noted above, Pop used Mills at shooting guard more than point guard. We'll have to see if that continues or if that was just a way to give White an extra long look.

-Marco Belinelli looked like he never left. Pop had Belinelli run a few plays that Manu Ginobili used to run and the Italian did a good job. Belinelli missed a few open shots but overall I was impressed. He gave life to the second unit and his movement off the ball helped open up scoring lanes. His defense was nothing to write home about but he was decent enough on that end.

-I heard Bryn Forbes had a really good training camp but, unfortunately, it didn’t translate to the first game of the preseason. Although it appears he added about ten pounds of muscle over the summer, the increased bulk didn’t help him on the defense end. He was just pretty damn bad in all areas on that end; he couldn’t stay in front of his man and got bodied out of the way when in the paint. Offensively, he couldn’t find a rhythm at all. His lack of height or strength also hurt him in multiple situations. Forbes obviously still has time to turn it around before the regular season starts but this was not a good way to come out of the gates.

-Chimezie Metu has an impressive amount mobility for a bigman. Though he can look like gangly newborn fawn at times, Metu can move his feet like a small forward. Considering Pop was running him at center, that alone makes him an intriguing prospect. Metu is going to have to figure out how to impact an NBA game in a positive manner but I’d say he passed the eye-test during his first time in silver and black.

-On the hand, I didn’t think Quincy Pondexter passed the eye-test. His feet just don’t look quick enough for him to emerge as a three-and-D small forward option. He’s had a lot of injuries and ailments over the years and it appears he’s been robbed of too much athleticism.

-There weren’t any surprises with Dante Cunningham. He hustles. He plays hard. He doesn’t have much skill. I thought it was interesting that when both he and Bertans were on the court, Pop played Cunningham at power forward and Bertans at small forward. That probably points to Cunningham making the team only if the coaching staff thinks the team needs bigman depth.

-I couldn't draw any conclusions about Jaron Blossomgame. I want to say Jaron's game blossomed over the summer but the truth is he didn't do anything to hurt or help him.

-Drew Eubanks didn’t do much good but he appears to have a live body for someone who is 6-foot-10 and 245 pounds.

-Okaro White looks like a classic tweener. Sometimes that works in today’s NBA but I didn’t see anything on Sunday to give much hope. He wasn’t big enough to grab rebounds in the paint and wasn’t quick enough to stay in front of small players on the perimeter.

-Nick Johnson closed out the game at point guard but he looked like a solid veteran option for the Austin Spurs.

Welp, Dex posted his thoughts first. Read his here. (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275845)

Agree with most of this.

A couple things I'd add in response as your writeup brought back some points while I was watching the game:

- After following DeJounte on IG over the summer it was clear he'd put in work on his midrange game. I think that will help a lot and it already showed in his midrange pullups in this game. But his 3ball (the one I saw) looked like it had bad form. His elbow seemed to jut out. IMO he should get some more jumpshot coaching to take those 3s to the next level.

- I didn't notice that Bert played SF< but if he can show he can play that position, that would be awesome. Imagine him guarding KD. Aside from the obvious fouls the refs would give KD, I still think he has the length to bother guys like KD/LeBron that we just don't have outside of Bert. This would patch (slightly) a huge, huge hole this team has (defending SFs) if Bert can develop this part of his game.

- Agree with the thoughts on Pondexter, Cunningham and Jaron. Pondexter seems slow and not very long (or he hunches over too much). Either way I don't see him as a viable option if this play is indicative of what he brings to the table at his position. Cunningham can probably be our Centerpiece type player this year, as long as we don't use him too much. He can be our SF defender in a pinch, and we will definitely need an active body at that position in :lol Today's NBA :lol

- Jaron doesn't seem to have confidence/the right spot to shine if played in garbage time. Which on this team, maybe that's all he'll get. Perhaps his place is with another team. With Gay, Beli, DeRozan, and now Bert possibly all being serviceable SFs, we really won't need Jaron, barring injury *crosses fingers*

- Eubanks did seem like a poor man's Joff out there, a good piece at the end of the bench if there's room for him. Regular season wise it may be good to have a guy like that. Or in Austin for call ups.

- Not sure why Walker didn't get any PT. Anyone catch why? I muted the broadcast after halftime as their constant Heat sucking was too much for me to take.

tonight...you
10-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Agree with most of this.

A couple things I'd add in response as your writeup brought back some points while I was watching the game:

- After following DeJounte on IG over the summer it was clear he'd put in work on his midrange game. I think that will help a lot and it already showed in his midrange pullups in this game. But his 3ball (the one I saw) looked like it had bad form. His elbow seemed to jut out. IMO he should get some more jumpshot coaching to take those 3s to the next level.

- I didn't notice that Bert played SF< but if he can show he can play that position, that would be awesome. Imagine him guarding KD. Aside from the obvious fouls the refs would give KD, I still think he has the length to bother guys like KD/LeBron that we just don't have outside of Bert. This would patch (slightly) a huge, huge hole this team has (defending SFs) if Bert can develop this part of his game.

- Agree with the thoughts on Pondexter, Cunningham and Jaron. Pondexter seems slow and not very long (or he hunches over too much). Either way I don't see him as a viable option if this play is indicative of what he brings to the table at his position. Cunningham can probably be our Centerpiece type player this year, as long as we don't use him too much. He can be our SF defender in a pinch, and we will definitely need an active body at that position in :lol Today's NBA :lol

- Jaron doesn't seem to have confidence/the right spot to shine if played in garbage time. Which on this team, maybe that's all he'll get. Perhaps his place is with another team. With Gay, Beli, DeRozan, and now Bert possibly all being serviceable SFs, we really won't need Jaron, barring injury *crosses fingers*

- Eubanks did seem like a poor man's Joff out there, a good piece at the end of the bench if there's room for him. Regular season wise it may be good to have a guy like that. Or in Austin for call ups.

- Not sure why Walker didn't get any PT. Anyone catch why? I muted the broadcast after halftime as their constant Heat sucking was too much for me to take.
Walker's nursing a groin injury homie.

rjv
10-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Agree with most of this.

i agree that the shot looked bad but i think that was his only attempt for the game.i'm not sure if it was because of technique or if he just pulled up on it from a lack of confidence (a la fathead). i hope we get to see more shot attempts from him beyond the arc this preseason so we can get a better sense of where he's at with the shot.

SAGirl
10-01-2018, 04:41 PM
I have to agree that I also didn't see Bertans play SF, but I wasn't about to enter into an argument here about it, (where a lot of posters seem to trend to). He played very well as the big next to Poltl and that pairing impressed me the most. Preseason is a time to experiment so if he did, I am glad.

tonight...you
10-01-2018, 05:21 PM
I have to agree that I also didn't see Bertans play SF, but I wasn't about to enter into an argument here about it, (where a lot of posters seem to trend to). He played very well as the big next to Poltl and that pairing impressed me the most. Preseason is a time to experiment so if he did, I am glad.
I, for one, hope that he's able to play the position well enough to play much more there. I think it helps the team more if he can pull it off.
I also agree with it being said that he's a good fit with Poeltl Power.

Time will tell though...

kobyz
10-01-2018, 05:34 PM
I hope pop tell walker he'll refuse to play him until he cut that heir to show he's serious about basketball and not to waste himself like the payton guy...

TheGreatYacht
10-01-2018, 05:41 PM
I hope pop tell walker he'll refuse to play him until he cut that heir to show he's serious about basketball and not to waste himself like the payton guy...
Baby boomer Trump supporter doing baby boomer trump supporter thangz

TD 21
10-01-2018, 06:02 PM
There was nothing that surprised me rotationally. Despite much debate, I was right (as usual) about the starting lineup and I'm confident White will be ahead of Forbes, but the latter getting the first nod is typical Pop. We've seen this many times over the years.

38, 25, 22: Those are the shot attempts from the paint, mid range and 3. The mid range would have ranked 1st last season, the 3 would have ranked last. Again, not surprising, but alarming nonetheless.

I think Rudy moving a spot is a consequence of roster construction.
Bc JOLO (Lauvergne) sucked, the team effectively had only 2 bigs last season. Spurs also probably planned to play him next to the Nephew last season anyways, therefore having a lot of minutes accounted for between the SF and PF spot. This would explain PATFO feeling comfortable with their big rotation after signing someone like JOLO.

Anyways, this year without Nephew and getting Poltl in the trade, they have gone back to playing the 2 bigs and definitely have better big depth now that Bertans also seems to look like a quality rotation player. I think we will probably still see Rudy at the 4 at times, when teams go "small" but he probably will play more SF than last season.

Rudy also seemed in the offseaoson to prepare physically for this role, based on his social media accounts and I don't doubt that he wants to establish himself as a starting quality SF again. He only signed the one year contract so it's a contract year and considering the roster construction and how well he's playing it would be murder to not give him the opportunity.

:tu It's amazing how many people seemingly don't understand that a lot of this positional stuff isn't based on where a player is best served or preference, but roster construction. Naturally, it would be ideal if the two went hand in hand, but that's easier said than done a lot of the time. Especially now, with the abundance of bigs and shortage of wings leaguewide.

Mr. Body
10-01-2018, 06:50 PM
White is definitely getting groomed as a point guard.

SpursDynasty85
10-01-2018, 06:57 PM
In that starting lineup, Gay will get a ton of 3s. Murray looks like he is drastically improving and the other 3 are good to excellent passes. Gay and Murray will share that 3rd and 4th option on most plays behind DeRozan and Aldridge.

R. DeMurre
10-01-2018, 07:03 PM
If Bertans, Poeltl, and White continue to produce at this level, this will be an incredibly deep team.

Seventyniner
10-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Goddammit, Chinook's "Cun" and "Pon" crap is spreading.

On the other hand, it works pretty well for Eubanks. (think Eww, not You)

superbigtime
10-01-2018, 08:33 PM
White is definitely getting groomed as a point guard.

plain as day

spurs10
10-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Nice write-up, thanks! My immediate takeaway was Gay looks like he's ready to play. I expect to see his shooting % improve and for this to be a comeback year for him. He clearly wants to start. I think the idea of he and Bertans both playing 3 & 4 could be a great thing especially if they can defend. I was also happy to see Poetlt getting all those boards. He held his own against one of the NBA's best rebounders.

Fusternino
10-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Can definitely see an 11 man rotation with Cunningham as a SF and DDR basically only ever playing at the 2.

Nathan89
10-01-2018, 10:58 PM
I would prefer if you use the name before the paragraph format. It's easier to scan to certain players.

Thanks for the write-up.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Nice...thanks Timvp! :tu

Ice009
10-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Rudy Gay definitely should get a real chance/opportunity to start. Last season he was coming in expecting to backup Kawhi, so he wouldn't have had a problem not starting. However, now that Kawhi is gone, and with all the work Rudy has put in during the off-season, I do not think he would be happy not getting a proper chance to start and prove he's still a legit starter.

BWS-1994
10-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Awesome to read 2 reviews post game. And it’s only pre season! Thank you :tu

Cardinal
10-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the write up :clap

rjv
10-02-2018, 10:44 AM
i'm never going to over or under react to too much of the preseason because none of ST, as far as i know, is privy to anything the coaching staff is looking at in each game.

playbonner15
10-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the writeup timvp! Really glad NBA season is back :)

ceperez
10-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Rudy Gay definitely should get a real chance/opportunity to start. Last season he was coming in expecting to backup Kawhi, so he wouldn't have had a problem not starting. However, now that Kawhi is gone, and with all the work Rudy has put in during the off-season, I do not think he would be happy not getting a proper chance to start and prove he's still a legit starter.

This will depend if the second unit cannot generate it's own offense. Who among Forbes, Mills, White, Bertans, Cunningham, Poetl, ... can create his own offense?

skookumchuck
10-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Who among Forbes, Mills, White, Bertans, Cunningham, Poetl, ... can create his own offense?

This gets thrown around so much that I wonder if some of the posters even know what that means? Besides, Rudy is hardly better at 'creating his own offense' than Mills, White or Bertans. And the team would be no better because of it. Out of all those guys, White and Bertans are the better passers/creators and that's not saying much, at least for now. But it's more than enough for the second unit opposition.

Russ
10-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the insight!

Seventyniner
10-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Good point. Rudy had to have seen that the path to a starting spot at SF was open now, and if he is willing to do what it takes (work on his 3 and his D) then he could be the answer the Spurs need there.

KDKSpurs24
10-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Good point. Rudy had to have seen that the path to a starting spot at SF was open now, and if he is willing to do what it takes (work on his 3 and his D) then he could be the answer the Spurs need there.
And I see that he has already been doing that. Working hard in the gym and being the last one to leave practice it seems. He’s extremely locked in this season.

rastaspur
10-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Didn't get to watch the game. I think it is good news to hear they used derozan as point guard some. With derozen being ball dominant and aldridge needing to be involved in the offense often this option alleviates some problems.

Derozen being an off ball 3 point shooter is as inneficient as it gets. If he is putting pressure on the defense then better shooters will get those shots. If murray can just hit corner threes that would be a huge plus.

Murray and derozen just seem to be a horrible mix imo. If one cant hit the corner three at a reasonable clip then this is going to be the biggest obstacle to a fluid offense.