PDA

View Full Version : Open Scrimmage Stats and Thoughts: Silver vs. Black - 10/3/18

timvp
10-03-2018, 11:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OQk77zv.jpg

-We got our first look at Lonnie Walker IV against NBA players and I was pretty damn impressed. His athleticism passed the eye-test with flying colors; nobody on the court could stay in front of him when he put his mind to it. Walker is a quick, fast, powerful athlete and he has good instincts for a 19-year-old. Though he missed all five of his three-point attempts, he hit 5-of-7 two-pointers while also pulling down five rebounds and swiping two steals. Walker is still really raw but he obviously has promising potential. It’s unlikely that he’ll be much of a contributor his rookie year but let’s hope Pop at least gives him a shot to earn minutes.

-Bryn Forbes looked really confident and comfortable starting between Murray and DeRozan. On offense, he knocked down his first four shots – all from three-point range – on his way to finishing with a game-high 16 points. Forbes also flashed some playmaking ability off the dribble. His defense, too, was impressive; he kept constant pressure on his man for much of the game. Now let’s hope Forbes can play like this in a game that counts – or at least a normal preseason game.

-DeMar DeRozan was super smooth on his way to 14 points and four rebounds on 5-for-8 shooting from the field. He’s still hesitating more than he normally does but it was a step in the right direction compared to his first preseason outing. The coaching staff once again put the ball in his hands a whole lot in what is essentially a quasi-point guard role. DeRozan’s defense was pretty terrible . . . but, then again, his overall effort level in this scrimmage was pretty low.

-Speaking of low energy level, LaMarcus Aldridge had his effort-o-meter dialed to about two out of ten. He made a couple good passes and hit a couple shots in his final stint on the court but otherwise didn’t do much. The most notable thing involving Aldridge is the fact that the coaches continue to unveil more and more sets that basically have Aldridge and DeRozan play pick-and-roll, pick-and-pop two-man basketball. We’re going to see a whole lot of that this coming season.

-Davis Bertans does what he does: shoot when he has a glimmer of daylight on offense and hustle on defense. I actually really liked the look of Bertans starting alongside Aldridge and DeRozan. It makes the offense flow so much better when they have someone like him to spread the court. Add Forbes to the fivesome and the lanes were as open as they can possibly be with Aldridge, DeRozan and Murray on the court.

-Dejounte Murray did okay. The most important thing is he’s making an effort to be a threat with his shot. When the defender goes under the pick, Murray is ready and willing to shoot. It’s disappointing that he only made two of his nine field goal attempts but I liked his aggressive decision-making, which also resulted in a game-high five assists. Murray also led the game with ten rebounds.

-Rudy Gay continues to look like he could step into a bigger role this season. He scored 14 points, a majority of which came in difficult isolation situations. He’s in great shape, his jumper is looking good and he’s not holding back when it comes time to explode off of one foot. He had some trouble on defense, particularly when DeRozan went at him, but he was giving good effort on that end.

-Pau Gasol continues to look like he needs to step into a smaller role this season. He looks rusty and a step slow. He had a couple good passes but he wasn’t moving well, especially when trying to defend outside the paint. Let’s hope he can shake the rust off by the time the regular season starts.

-Jakob Poeltl was rock solid. He ran the court very well. He was strong on the glass. He defended the rim well. I mean, he couldn’t have done much more than what he did. Poeltl didn’t make many mistakes and cashed in just about all of his opportunities to impact the game.

-I thought Derrick White was pretty damn bad. He was once again playing point guard but his ballhandling ability – or lack thereof – is really starting to concern me. When Forbes and Nick Johnson are causing you trouble when trying to cross halfcourt, something is wrong. Johnson even stripped him clean while White was slowly trying to advance the ball. Let’s hope White can figure it out but when him and Mills are paired together, it’s like there are no point guards on the court. The only time White looks comfortable is when he’s looking for his own shot in a halfcourt setting.

-Patty Mills also struggled. He missed his perimeter shots and couldn’t help much with ballhandling duties. He had a few well-timed, quick drives to the basket (to his credit, he looks to be in better shape than he was in last season) but didn’t do much beyond that. On defense, there wasn’t much good to report.

-Marco Belinelli also was cold from the outside but I did like his creativity. He was the Silver team’s best playmaker and was at times the only player on his team that didn’t appear to be stuck in mud. Belinelli was trying to do too much a lot of the time but, on this amateur night, it was needed.

-Dante Cunningham hit two three-pointers and another long jumper with a toe on the three-point line. He also displayed the ability to mix it up in the paint while also being able to step out on the perimeter to defend smaller, quicker players. As a deep roster Swiss army knife, Cunningham most likely has a spot on the final roster.

-Drew Eubanks played well. He has a big body but he’s far from a plodder. He can move his feet a little bit and he jumps well. He’s also physical and even threw a few elbows during the scrimmage. I’m not sure how much upside he has (the Spurs version of Aron Baynes would be his absolute peak) but he’s an intriguing enough prospect to keep on a two-way contract this season.

-I also liked what I saw from Jaron Blossomgame. His body has filled out and he has enough size and length to be a legit small forward on the NBA level. He hustles and has a nose for the ball. Blossomgame also appears to have a tough guy streak about him. From what I’ve seen so far, I’d vote in favor of keeping him around to see if he can continue to develop.

-I just don’t see Quincy Pondexter being able to help out an NBA team anymore. He doesn’t move his feet well enough – and that alone kills his value. He actually has a tiny amount of playmaking ability, which could be useful if he was a plus defender – but he’s not.

-Chimezie Metu remains an interesting prospect as an uber mobile bigman. He doesn’t appear to be good enough at anything at the moment to help the big boy Spurs this season but he’s definitely interesting enough to keep in the Austin pipeline. Gazelle-like bigs don’t come down the chute very often, especially in the second round of the draft.

-It doesn’t look like Okaro White will make the team but you can tell he has talent. The problem with him is he’s just too much of a tweener between the two forward positions, even in this tweener-happy era of NBA basketball. Nick Johnson also won't make the team but he's no doubt a good G-League level point guard.

FlAVaK
10-03-2018, 11:58 PM
:bobo

Thanks! Fell asleep during the game...

Dejounte
10-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Meh. I trust what I've seen in G-league/summer league/etc. of Derrick White than what I saw in this scrimmage game. He's way better than what he showed.

spurs10
10-04-2018, 01:18 AM
Much thanks! Great to see Bryn do better that the pre-season game and I too hope he can translate that into a real game. I'm also very stoked on Petlt who is my new favorite player and I could see him being on the team for season's to come...at least I hope so.

On another note, are any of the other pre-season games televised? Can we just buy the games without signing up with NBATV for the whole season? Any tips are appreciated.
:flag:

timvp
10-04-2018, 02:03 AM
https://i.imgur.com/WA6SkEJ.gif

Walker's crossover on DeRozan :wow

phxspurfan
10-04-2018, 02:12 AM
OMG how dare you shit on White, STs own Golden Boy who can do no wrong

phxspurfan
10-04-2018, 02:12 AM

Dayumm

Chinook
10-04-2018, 02:45 AM
I really don't know what Pop is going to do if Forbes beats out White for a rotation spot. Dude's simply not a PG. The problem is that Mills isn't either. It gets even worse if both are playing as the guards and in a unit without even a Gay-level focal point. I'm coming to peace with the idea that Gay probably will start at the three. He's certainly making a good case for it right now. But White or at least DC has to get minutes with that bench along with Bertans and Poeltl/Gasol. Berts has definitely been intriguing defensively, but that's a tiny perimeter.

I wouldn't get too down on White. I didn't like the way any real "offense" ran. You can insert my usual complain about the lack of PG depth, but I'm not too worried about White in NBA games if the injury question isn't part of the discussion. I do think the coaching staff will have to figure out what's wrong with Lonnie's shot. He's way too inconsistent for what I hear is a good form. I do like his skill level for his age. He needs seasoning more than anything. Physically, he has what it takes to get to the rim at will. He just needs the polish to keep hold of the ball and to finish better than he has. I don't see why you couldn't just keep him in Austin for a year and get as many touches as he needs. Without a three, he doesn't really have a big-club role yet. Give him a year to work on his O, and he should be good.

I did like Metu's outside shot. Not many bigs can pull-up like that. He'll need a consistent three to really set up the defender, but him even attempting those types of moves gives a good sense of where his confidence in his perimeter skills is. Eubanks is interesting, because he seemed to be a post player in college. He has two really good post players to learn from in Aldridge and Duncan so if he has development in him, they should be able to get it out. I don't see him as a Baynes-like player really. As I've said before, he reminds me of Jahlil Okafor without the hype or high draft status. If Jah busted his butt in the gym, he wouldn't be a much better player than he is now, but he'd be perceived differently.

Incidentally, I really liked this format for the scrimmage. Five "quarters" feels like more basketball even though the 10-minute running clock for each period means it was a lot less. Still, it would have been awesome for the teams to go into the final set knotted up. Could have added some intrigue to the final 10 minutes instead of garbage time.

dbestpro
10-04-2018, 02:53 AM
White cannot continue to play like he did in the scrimmage and in the first half against Miami and expect to be on the floor with the Spurs. There are just too many other guards, and still does not look like much of a PG to me. He might be able to recover, but he is just playing sloppy and unfocused right now.

ceperez
10-04-2018, 02:58 AM

Just refine his game in Austin and he's going to be a top contributor for this team.

Murray doesn't even come close to his potential.

Fireball
10-04-2018, 04:41 AM
you can see why the coaches continue to go with forbes ... he seems to be the guy who gives his all and kills it in training and scrimmages ... sadly he sucks in games that counts. reminds me of Georgie who looked like Kobe in scrimmages

ceperez
10-04-2018, 05:36 AM
you can see why the coaches continue to go with forbes ... he seems to be the guy who gives his all and kills it in training and scrimmages ... sadly he sucks in games that counts. reminds me of Georgie who looked like Kobe in scrimmages

Could be because Forbes is more relaxed in scrimmages. Sometimes you can't over think your performance and just let the ball fly!

Pleased to see Cunningham hit 3 consecutive 3s. Good to have a 3 and D player who can actually hit the 3.

What concerns me was how the team with Mills, White, Belinelli, Gay, Pau couldn't generate any offense!

Blossomgame is solid enough a player to deserve the two-way contract. He knows the system enough to be someone who's not a liability when on court.

Pondexter and White still need a lot of work to make the 15th spot. I think White has more upside, but both need time to understand the system.

r0drig0lac
10-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Walker will be the best player on the team soon, he's like a taller Donovan Mitchell with better defense, it's really scary your potential

Dejounte
10-04-2018, 06:15 AM
Walker will be the best player on the team soon, he's like a taller Donovan Mitchell with better defense, it's really scary your potential

He really doesn't have Mitchell's driving ability.

SpursDynasty85
10-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Mitchell is stout and has a ridiculous wingspan.

offset formation
10-04-2018, 07:18 AM
OMG how dare you shit on White, STs own Golden Boy who can do no wrong

Read his review of him the other day. Talks about his strong defense and benefits on offense. He had an off day.

kobyz
10-04-2018, 07:30 AM
I'll keep say forbes is coming to his own and he's about to a breakout season, could be our jj redick

SAGirl
10-04-2018, 07:31 AM
I think the issue with Forbes is that he’s not a starting level SG. Sure in a scrimmage he’s better than fine. And if his role is to knock down shots created by others and some secondary playmaking or getting to the lane after defenders try to take his shot away, well he can do that. But he’s 6’2”, short armed and not an elite athlete. He’s just not a wing. His worst numbers as you pointed out timvp were next to Parker and Mills when he was asked to play as a wing. If he were a PG his feistiness and how strong he’s become would help him, but he has even less of a PG game than White does. Which is why when White plays well he’s much better. If White cant handle the backup PG duties I don’t think Forbes is going to be any better at it.

Of course its it’s so much better for the team if Forbes proves me wrong but context matters. Is he going to be starting games? I don’t think so.

I have been making jokes about this, but it’s not just Forbes it’s Marco and Mills not really being playmakers either. The bench looked their best when White had it going, before then I was remarking in the preseason game thread that they all seemed too jumpshooting happy with no one to really take the ball to the basket or make plays for others.

Anyways, I appreciate this review very much and we will just have to see how Forbes/White develop. I would expect depending on game situation Pop may even alter rotations playing a starter with the bench for example if they struggle too much. It should be interesting to see how this goes.

SAGirl
10-04-2018, 07:38 AM
I expect the standard rookie treatment for him, but I would welcome him getting opportunities in the bench. Perhaps he can do just fine in a small role to start his career and go from there. If you want my opinion, Pop is going to let White and Forbes hang themselves first b4 turning to Walker. I am not saying I am right, it’s just what I expect.

Dex
10-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Thanks timvp!

For anyone who missed it, you can still watch the entire open scrimmage here: https://www.facebook.com/Spurs/videos/301912030394814/

ceperez
10-04-2018, 09:41 AM
I expect the standard rookie treatment for him, but I would welcome him getting opportunities in the bench. Perhaps he can do just fine in a small role to start his career and go from there. If you want my opinion, Pop is going to let White and Forbes hang themselves first b4 turning to Walker. I am not saying I am right, it’s just what I expect.

I agree. He'll be a better player refining his skills in the g-league.

exstatic
10-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Mitchell is stout and has a ridiculous wingspan.

Their wingspans are identical at 6'10" and Mitchell is two inches shorter at 6'3", his official combine measurements.

Dex
10-04-2018, 09:57 AM
I agree. He'll be a better player refining his skills in the g-league.

Exactly. Barring major injuries, there is no way Walker would see more than 10MPG with as crowded as the guard rotation currently is...and Pop is not going to stick Mills, White, AND Forbes all in the doghouse in favor of an unproven rookie.

He'll get much more experience playing 30MPG up in Austin than he would doing mop up duty in garbage time with the big team.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-04-2018, 10:08 AM
:tu

It's a got damn shame that we all know Walker will prob get 15 total minutes over the season :(

rjv
10-04-2018, 10:13 AM
walker appears to have more star potential than murray. still hoping dejante can continue to develop because an eventual pairing of walker and murray in the backcourt could offer the spurs a bright future.

coachmac87
10-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Derrick White isn’t a point guard...

Once PATFO realize that and let him focus on to just score things will be better

SAGirl
10-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Exactly. Barring major injuries, there is no way Walker would see more than 10MPG with as crowded as the guard rotation currently is...and Pop is not going to stick Mills, White, AND Forbes all in the doghouse in favor of an unproven rookie.

He'll get much more experience playing 30MPG up in Austin than he would doing mop up duty in garbage time with the big team.

You are right about Walker but one has to wonder what happens if White is a TO machine and Forbes looks like a deer in the headlights when the lights are on.

It doesn't matter if they are due for an opportunity ahead of the rookie if they suck. But it's preseason and this is a way too early overreaction of course. Just pointing out the obvious.

Fusternino
10-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Pondexter done and Blossomgame in, then? Maybe Q-Pon can play himself into shape as the season progresses . . .

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-04-2018, 11:16 AM

Pretty

BWS-1994
10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Good read, esp about Bertans, Poetl and Blossomgame. Cunningham would be a pleasant bonus :tu

spurs10
10-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Thanks timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8)!

For anyone who missed it, you can still watch the entire open scrimmage here: https://www.facebook.com/Spurs/videos/301912030394814/ Good post! Glad they kept it up. I haven't found anyway to view the rest of the pre-season games. I made the first one which was fun to watch. Looks like 1200 AM radio with Bill Schoening is the only option.

phxspurfan
10-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Reminds me of "96/100 3s in practice" Bonner. Who also laid eggs in every playoff situation

phxspurfan
10-04-2018, 12:41 PM
Their wingspans are identical at 6'10" and Mitchell is two inches shorter at 6'3", his official combine measurements.

Donovan Mitchell isn't an accurate comparison bc Mitchell is a better range (3pt) shooter. The draft day comparisons to DWade were more accurate. Wade doesn't really have a 3ball but (was) deadly in the midrange and had the body to go into the paint as a guard. He also had crazy hops.

Mugen
10-04-2018, 12:44 PM
:lol Bryn Forbes showing out in preseason/scrimmage is probably the worst thing that can happen to the team this early in the season tbh

TimDunkem
10-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Ah, scrimmages...The only type of game Charity Case shows up to.

Fireball
Reminds me of "96/100 3s in practice" Bonner. Who also laid eggs in every playoff situation

at least Bonner brought something in the regular season ... lets see if Bryn can take this step... I do not want to see him in the playoffs :lol

TimDunkem
Oh and...

:lol Bryn Forbes showing out in preseason/scrimmage is probably the worst thing that can happen to the team this early in the season tbh

Truth bomb.

Ocotillo
10-04-2018, 12:51 PM
I still think Forbes and Mills are redundant and create depth that hinders development of White and Walker. Wish there was a way to unload one of them.

Fireball
10-04-2018, 12:55 PM
having watched it it still bugs me that the NBA superstars are not able to duplicate that certain amount of defensive intensity in an All-Star game

Mugen
10-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Forbes' ceiling is a homeless man's Roger Mason Jr....yet some people are pulling for him to get heavy minutes this year...

Luckily for them, Pop probably has a framed picture of Mase's Christmas Day buzzer beater on his wall so I'm sure Bryn will be closing out games while Lonnie and DWhite are huffin' farts next to Becky tbh :lol

r0drig0lac
10-04-2018, 01:04 PM

Keepin' it real
10-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Walker is still really raw but he obviously has promising potential. It’s unlikely that he’ll be much of a contributor his rookie year but let’s hope Pop at least gives him a shot to earn minutes.

I think even someone as stubborn as Pop realizes no more Timmy, no more Tony, no more Manu, and no more Leanord. The days of sending first-rounders to Austin are over. Walker will play, plenty.

exstatic
10-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Donovan Mitchell isn't an accurate comparison bc Mitchell is a better range (3pt) shooter. The draft day comparisons to DWade were more accurate. Wade doesn't really have a 3ball but (was) deadly in the midrange and had the body to go into the paint as a guard. He also had crazy hops.

Oh, LW will hit 3s. He shot 35% on a ton of attempts, many of them bad shots, like contested pullups. Just cleaning up his shot selection should get him up to probably 38%.

Mr. Body
10-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Pop will be in heaven developing these young players and fitting the vets in.

exstatic
10-04-2018, 02:02 PM
I think even someone as stubborn as Pop realizes no more Timmy, no more Tony, no more Manu, and no more Leanord. The days of sending first-rounders to Austin are over. Walker will play, plenty.

The first rounders that were sent there were late 20s picks. Any pick in that range could still be sent in the future.

Kawhi never went there for development, and he was #15 overall. LW IV was #18 overall.

Pavlov
10-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Will have to see Walker in preseason games before penciling him in anywhere. His decision making was atrocious in SL but seemed to be improving a bit before he got injured

BackHome
10-04-2018, 02:56 PM
He will spend a lot of time early in G League but midway he will start being called up for longer times. He will see probably get triple amount of playing time that White got playing with Spurs team

tmtcsc
10-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Since when has Derrick White ever been a PG? I don't get it. He's not a play-maker on offense and doesn't have the handles to do the job. Spurs have enough issues with Murray and Mills trying to run point, they don't need another experiment.

tonight...you
10-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Since when has Derrick White ever been a PG? I don't get it. He's not a play-maker on offense and doesn't have the handles to do the job. Spurs have enough issues with Murray and Mills trying to run point, they don't need another experiment.
Sure seems like Pop is willing to go taller PG with defensive skill over offensive play-making abilities right now, eh?
This year, he can probably get away with it with Derozan taking the PG role in the half court set, but it does seem like he's changing his focus on the PG's role.

Pavlov
10-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Since when has Derrick White ever been a PG? I don't get it. He's not a play-maker on offense and doesn't have the handles to do the job. Spurs have enough issues with Murray and Mills trying to run point, they don't need another experiment.It's preseason -- definitely time to experiment. It was always by committee in Austin, which makes me wonder why he didn't get more reps at the point up here. Bigger point guards have always been Pop's white whale, so to speak; you'd think there would have been more emphasis on it for Derrick. Maybe there's been a recent change of plan.

TD 21
10-04-2018, 04:29 PM
- I don't understand why some seemingly thought White was a pure point. He's the definition of a combo guard (can play either on both sides of the ball). He'd be best alongside another guard that can make plays, so that he can get it on the catch/2nd side (where his pedestrian handle and lack of explosiveness aren't as big of a concern) and attack a scrambling defense.

- Unfortunately, since Mills, Belinelli and Forbes are all even less equipped to cause the initial breakdown and Walker will inevitably start out buried, they don't have that option.

- I don't understand why some are still pretending Cunningham ever had to make this roster. Even if you want to dismiss the role he's mostly played throughout his career, they gave him a portion of the MLE and have a severe lack of depth at his position.

- Pondexter, I strongly suspected would no longer have the lateral quicks to defend on the perimeter and since there's no other role he can morph into, that renders him a non NBA player.

- If they keep a 15th, Blossomgame makes the most sense. He's a live body and a legit SF/small ball PF. If he develops a reliable, spot up corner 3, he could be Tucker/Carroll lite. If he can't, he's not an NBA player.

FkLA
10-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Forbes is good and will have a solid season. It's funny that people are already using one scrimmage (a scrimmage where Forbes also played well nonetheless) to lament how Walker will "unfortunately be buried behind Forbes". Forbes looked like a poor man's Curry in last year's SL and his defense is pretty damn good when you don't put him on 6-7 guys like Klay Thompson. Should've never brought Belli back.

White too. One scrimmage doesn't make Walker a better player. White has done nothing but impress in almost every situation he's been thrown into--I think he'll be fine.

SAGirl
10-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Who do you figure will be a back-up PG if there's foul trouble or injuries.

dbestpro
10-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Who do you figure will be a back-up PG if there's foul trouble or injuries.

DeMarr.

tonight...you
10-04-2018, 06:35 PM
DeMarr.
Yeah... should it come down to it.
There it is.

SAGirl
10-04-2018, 06:36 PM
DeMarr.
Good guess. With Forbes off the ball but nominally listed at PG.

SAGirl
10-04-2018, 06:37 PM
Still I am hoping White gets it together with those handles. Dijon himself was extremely shaky with his handles b4 he settled in. It's possible the game is stilld developing too fast for White and he will improve that aspect.

tonight...you
10-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Still I am hoping White gets it together with those handles. Dijon himself was extremely shaky with his handles b4 he settled in. It's possible the game is stilld developing too fast for White and he will improve that aspect.
Yeah and DJ still hasn't really tightened up them there handles yet himself, tbh.

Kobe'sAchilles
10-04-2018, 06:53 PM
As long as Patty is coming off the bench you cannot play Forbes next to him. Their combined defense paired together is historically bad. There really just isn't a place for Forbes on the team. I expect pop to play him early but by January he will be the towel boy.

ceperez
10-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Forbes is good and will have a solid season. It's funny that people are already using one scrimmage (a scrimmage where Forbes also played well nonetheless) to lament how Walker will "unfortunately be buried behind Forbes". Forbes looked like a poor man's Curry in last year's SL and his defense is pretty damn good when you don't put him on 6-7 guys like Klay Thompson. Should've never brought Belli back.

White too. One scrimmage doesn't make Walker a better player. White has done nothing but impress in almost every situation he's been thrown into--I think he'll be fine.

Yep, a poor man's Curry. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think Bertans and Forbes on the court as starters stretches out the court for DeRozan, Murray and Aldridge to operate. In the last 2 games, Bertans has assisted on Forbes 3 point make, so they are playing well together.

SAGirl
10-04-2018, 07:21 PM
As long as Patty is coming off the bench you cannot play Forbes next to him. Their combined defense paired together is historically bad. There really just isn't a place for Forbes on the team. I expect pop to play him early but by January he will be the towel boy.

I don't like that pairing either. Some are predicting Mills will be traded. I doubt it very much.

Chinook
10-04-2018, 08:42 PM
- I don't understand why some seemingly thought White was a pure point. He's the definition of a combo guard (can play either on both sides of the ball). He'd be best alongside another guard that can make plays, so that he can get it on the catch/2nd side (where his pedestrian handle and lack of explosiveness aren't as big of a concern) and attack a scrambling defense.

- Unfortunately, since Mills, Belinelli and Forbes are all even less equipped to cause the initial breakdown and Walker will inevitably start out buried, they don't have that option.

- I don't understand why some are still pretending Cunningham ever had to make this roster. Even if you want to dismiss the role he's mostly played throughout his career, they gave him a portion of the MLE and have a severe lack of depth at his position.

- Pondexter, I strongly suspected would no longer have the lateral quicks to defend on the perimeter and since there's no other role he can morph into, that renders him a non NBA player.

- If they keep a 15th, Blossomgame makes the most sense. He's a live body and a legit SF/small ball PF. If he develops a reliable, spot up corner 3, he could be Tucker/Carroll lite. If he can't, he's not an NBA player.

- It's not about whether people thought White was ONLY a PG. It's about whether he can play PG at the NBA level. I think he can, and Pop and RC built the roster seemingly with that in mind. They didn't get him legit competition or help on the bench. Now it looks like he might not even be in the rotation. Weird, but I'm not going to harp on it yet again. The point is that White being unable to be a PG really limits what he can do. Combo-guards are a dime a dozen. White's ability to run the offense was supposed to set him apart.

- I thought it was the LLE (and there is still dispute on that despite what Pincus said)? Anyway, yeah, DC doesn't have to make the roster unless he is really bad for multiple games while others are really good. He still has work to do to beat out Forbes or White for a rotation spot, though. Looking at the rotation so far, I think he's on the outside, but we'll see how Pop plays him going forward.

-The question is whether Pop will understand this or if he thinks Pon's experience makes him worthy of a spot.

-I agree. Blossom should get it, especially with Huestis not part of the equation. They can always cut him later. No reason to go short into the season.

Pavlov
10-05-2018, 03:21 AM
- It's not about whether people thought White was ONLY a PG. It's about whether he can play PG at the NBA level. I think he can, and Pop and RC built the roster seemingly with that in mind. They didn't get him legit competition or help on the bench. Now it looks like he might not even be in the rotation. Weird, but I'm not going to harp on it yet again. The point is that White being unable to be a PG really limits what he can do. Combo-guards are a dime a dozen. White's ability to run the offense was supposed to set him apart.Not sure what their backup plan is at this point since they have never put anyone in this position and not followed through. I think White is the backup point for the foreseeable future.

- I thought it was the LLE (and there is still dispute on that despite what Pincus said)? Anyway, yeah, DC doesn't have to make the roster unless he is really bad for multiple games while others are really good. He still has work to do to beat out Forbes or White for a rotation spot, though. Looking at the rotation so far, I think he's on the outside, but we'll see how Pop plays him going forward.Cunningham is a lock for the rotation. They wouldn't have signed him for any other reason.

-The question is whether Pop will understand this or if he thinks Pon's experience makes him worthy of a spot.Seems like kind of a charity case; the kind of player one gives a chance to prove himself again in the G-League.

-I agree. Blossom should get it, especially with Huestis not part of the equation. They can always cut him later. No reason to go short into the season.Don't see anyone else getting the second two-way at this point.

ceperez
10-05-2018, 05:33 AM
Pretty

Spurs are in dire need of players that can create their own offense.

ceperez
10-05-2018, 05:37 AM
- It's not about whether people thought White was ONLY a PG. It's about whether he can play PG at the NBA level. I think he can, and Pop and RC built the roster seemingly with that in mind. They didn't get him legit competition or help on the bench. Now it looks like he might not even be in the rotation. Weird, but I'm not going to harp on it yet again. The point is that White being unable to be a PG really limits what he can do. Combo-guards are a dime a dozen. White's ability to run the offense was supposed to set him apart.

- I thought it was the LLE (and there is still dispute on that despite what Pincus said)? Anyway, yeah, DC doesn't have to make the roster unless he is really bad for multiple games while others are really good. He still has work to do to beat out Forbes or White for a rotation spot, though. Looking at the rotation so far, I think he's on the outside, but we'll see how Pop plays him going forward.

-The question is whether Pop will understand this or if he thinks Pon's experience makes him worthy of a spot.

-I agree. Blossom should get it, especially with Huestis not part of the equation. They can always cut him later. No reason to go short into the season.

White hasn't been the full-time PG with Austin, but he's played point both in Austin, Summer League and US Basketball. Given the Spurs don't have real point guards, he's going to be the designated one.

I worry though about Spurs not having a true point guard. I remember when Beno Udrih was destroyed by the Pistons. This is a glaring weaknness that could be exploited by other teams.

tbdog
10-05-2018, 06:38 AM
White hasn't been the full-time PG with Austin, but he's played point both in Austin, Summer League and US Basketball. Given the Spurs don't have real point guards, he's going to be the designated one.

I worry though about Spurs not having a true point guard. I remember when Beno Udrih was destroyed by the Pistons. This is a glaring weaknness that could be exploited by other teams.

Beno was up against one of the best full court harrasses at the time. I think it was Lindsey Hunter. The Spurs made a rule as the series progressed, that whoever Hunter was marking, does not bring the ball up.

ceperez
10-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Beno was up against one of the best full court harrasses at the time. I think it was Lindsey Hunter. The Spurs made a rule as the series progressed, that whoever Hunter was marking, does not bring the ball up.

Yes, but Beno never played after that trouncing. Although, it should always make sense that you don't force the offense against the best defender. Teams for example have left Kawhi in an island by having whoever he defended hanging out in one corner. You don't want to see Kawhi roaming around the defense looking for opportunities.

objective
10-05-2018, 11:30 AM
White can execute a pick and roll for a multitude of passes or call his own number for a shot off the dribble or drive to the rim. That's more than anyone else on the bench can execute, and probably more than Murray as it is

TD 21
10-05-2018, 04:26 PM

- I think White can play as a nominal PG too, but as I've said, no one on this roster is equipped to play as the lone ball handler on a unit. What sets him apart from most combo guards, is how well rounded he is. There's plenty of undersized shooter/scorer types and a decent amount of big, play making types, but there's not many who encompass both.

- Yeah, it was the BAE. The point is, you don't use an exception on a player who has to compete to make the roster. It doesn't matter how Cunningham plays, he's a stone cold lock. He'll likely generally be outside the rotation, save for obvious match-ups. He's more so in competition with Poeltl and Bertans than he is Forbes and White.

- According to Pincus, Pondexter has a partial guarantee of $150,000, with the standard fully guaranteed date of January 10th, for $2.165,481. So he's not a lock to make the team, but it's safe to say he has the inside track. Odds are slim he lasts the season though.