PDA

View Full Version : Checkpoint Nation: "the southwest stop and frisk"

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Zero tolerance policy is a recipe for the abuse of US citizens at the hands of border enforcement officers:

After more than four hours, the officers called off the search. One of them asked Sandoval to sign some government forms. “She wanted me to give my consent,” Sandoval explained. “She said that if I signed the papers, they would take care of the hospital bill. They would be ‘good guys’ and pay, because it would be expensive.” Sandoval pushed the papers away.https://www.texasobserver.org/checkpoint-nation/

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Even though CBP has a policy requiring that records be kept of all body cavity searches, the agency said it had nothing to send me when I filed a FOIA request for drug searches that did not result in an arrest, detention or deportation.

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:25 PM
checkpoints mostly catch US citizens with small amounts of drugs:

CBP’s own data suggests that its interior checkpoints do little to catch what it calls “unauthorized entrants” and instead ensnare U.S. citizens on minor drug charges. (Forty percent of its seizures were 1 ounce or less of marijuana taken from citizens.) From 2013 to 2016, interior checkpoints accounted for only 2 percent of CBP apprehensions of undocumented immigrants. In May, a circuit court judge in New Hampshire threw out charges against 16 people who were arrested for possessing small quantities of drugs at a checkpoint manned by local police and Border Patrol agents, about 90 miles south of the Canadian border. “While the stated purpose of the checkpoints in this matter was screening for immigration violations,” the judge wrote, “the primary purpose of the action was detection and seizure of drugs,” which he ruled unconstitutional.

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:26 PM
culture of impunity:

CBP operates with less oversight than your local police department despite having one of the largest federal budgets in Washington. The agency doesn’t reveal the names of agents or details of its internal proceedings in fatality or misconduct investigations. Until four years ago, CBP even kept its use-of-force policies secret; they were made public only after a congressional inquiry into a wrongful death resulted in an independent review. CBP hasn’t widely adopted dashboard or body cameras, although it began a six-month pilot project in May. In 2015, the Homeland Security Advisory Council, a panel of law enforcement experts formed by DHS, warned that CBP had no effective process to root out corruption and that its internal affairs office was woefully understaffed. “The true levels of corruption within CBP are not known,” the council warned. “Pockets of corruption could fester within CBP, potentially for years.”

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:29 PM
even hassled Beto O'Rourke

O’Rourke’s opposition to CBP’s sweeping powers stems in part from his own encounter with border agents. In 2009, he and his 2-year-old son were detained at a checkpoint more than 70 miles from the border while agents pulled his truck apart. “They don’t have to explain why they’re holding you,” he said, “and you’re not given the right to an attorney.” O’Rourke told me that he and his son were held in a cell for close to 30 minutes before they were allowed to leave. “It was a strange feeling to be held against my will and to have my car searched,” he said. “I hadn’t committed any crime. I hadn’t even crossed the border.”

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:32 PM
coming soon to a Supreme Court near you:

Most recently, a federal judge in Massachusetts rejected the Trump administration’s bid to dismiss a lawsuit filed last year by 11 people who had their laptops and cell phones seized by officers at airports and border crossings around the country. That case will most likely be the next challenge to CBP’s authority to reach the Supreme Court.

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:33 PM
CBP claims jurisdiction over the entire state of Michigan:

CBP considers the Great Lakes a maritime border, which means that all of Michigan lies within the 100-mile border zone, and anyone can be subjected to a warrantless search at any time.

baseline bum
10-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Most free country in the world my ass

SnakeBoy
10-08-2018, 06:43 PM
even hassled Beto O'Rourke

fuckin Obama

baseline bum
10-08-2018, 06:46 PM
It feels like being in a third world country every time I have to pass through these checkpoints in West Texas. I always want to tell these assholes to fuck off since checkpoints should be unconstitutional, but I'm the right color so when I just don't say shit and show my driver's license that has been it.

Nathan89
10-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Agreed this a ridiculous practice to catch illegals. Simply punish employers. Don't give them benefits. Don't reward them with bullshit anchor babies. It's quite easy to solve the problem without these invasive measures.

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:50 PM
fuckin Obamaabsolutely true. Obama was the one who really ramped it up.

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:52 PM
It's quite easy to solve the problem without these invasive measures.what is the problem, in your opinion?

spurraider21
10-08-2018, 06:53 PM
what is the problem, in your opinion?
libruls

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 06:54 PM
duh, obviously

Nathan89
10-08-2018, 06:56 PM
what is the problem, in your opinion?

The problem I was discussing in my comment is people illegally entering the country.

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 07:00 PM
the obvious solution to that would be some less onerous and costly way of processing them at the border.

the overwhelming majority of migrants keep their court dates, why not let more of them in and establish a paper trail? give them temporary visas, and asylum review hearings.

it would be a lot less expensive than detaining them all.

Winehole23
10-08-2018, 10:33 PM
it would also be a lot less cruel for migrants.

cruelty to the stranger is one of the main selling points of the system we have now.

ElNono
10-08-2018, 10:51 PM
Don't reward them with bullshit anchor babies. It's quite easy to solve the problem without these invasive measures.

Actually, the anchor baby situation is quite a complicated problem to solve. Probably the most complicated.

Nathan89
10-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Actually, the anchor baby situation is quite a complicated problem to solve. Probably the most complicated.

Depends how ruthless you want to be tbh.

European countries don't have birth right citizenship. So moving to that at least would be great first step.

ElNono
10-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Depends how ruthless you want to be tbh.

European countries don't have birth right citizenship. So moving to that at least would be great first step.

Europe doesn't have the US Constitution. What would need to change is the 14th Amendment, thus requiring a Constitutional amendment. The bar is very high for that.

Spurtacular
10-09-2018, 12:01 AM
Zero tolerance policy is a recipe for the abuse of US citizens at the hands of border enforcement officers:

https://www.texasobserver.org/checkpoint-nation/

Blame the supreme court judges who ruled this kind of stuff is okay.

Standard liberal response: :cry "Judges don't legislate from the bench" :cry

ElNono
10-09-2018, 12:11 AM
This is clearly an oversight problem, more than a policy problem. Not to mention the CBP is probably one of the biggest targets of organized crime, thus really susceptible to corruption. That's what makes it even more dangerous.

Nathan89
10-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Europe doesn't have the US Constitution. What would need to change is the 14th Amendment, thus requiring a Constitutional amendment. The bar is very high for that.

Well Dems want to copy everything about Europe so I'm not sure who would be in disagreement.

FrostKing
10-09-2018, 01:18 AM
Most free country in the world my ass
In my personal experience - Germany has more daily freedoms. You can literally walk the street while sipping on a beer.

But I don't think you will find a nation with more freedom of speech than USA

ElNono
10-09-2018, 03:28 AM
Well Dems want to copy everything about Europe so I'm not sure who would be in disagreement.

One thing is what certain people might want, and what's possible at any given political time. I don't think we're at a political moment in the US where a change to the Constitution is feasible.

What Dems or Republicans want is relatively irrelevant if it's not realistically achievable.

Chris
10-09-2018, 03:32 AM
The checkpoints will continue until morale improves.

boutons_deux
10-09-2018, 03:40 AM
it would also be a lot less cruel for migrants.

cruelty to the stranger is one of the main selling points of the system we have now.

to the stranger, only?

Capitalism that Americans have been brainwashed, by Capitalists, into venerating unquestionably is fundamentally cruel system.

Winehole23
10-09-2018, 08:35 AM
we were talking about border enforcement, not capitalism writ large

Winehole23
10-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Blame the supreme court judges who ruled this kind of stuff is okay.what ruling(s) are you referring to?

Winehole23
10-09-2018, 08:37 AM
The checkpoints will continue until morale improves.there's the sadism I was talking about

Winehole23
10-09-2018, 10:03 AM
btw, Spurtacular, it's not like prior rulings have made CBP and ICE invulnerable to legal challenge -- endemic corruption and shoddy practices pretty much ensure the cases will keep coming.

boutons_deux
10-10-2018, 06:58 AM
"CBP and ICE invulnerable to legal challenge"

SCOTUS has ruled LE goons are, almost totally, while performing their duties.

human beings who win claims will get paid off in $Ms and the CPB/ICE Schutzstaffel brutality, cruelty, inhumanity will continue unabated.

RandomGuy
10-10-2018, 02:34 PM
It feels like being in a third world country every time I have to pass through these checkpoints in West Texas. I always want to tell these assholes to fuck off since checkpoints should be unconstitutional, but I'm the right color so when I just don't say shit and show my driver's license that has been it.

Best! "No Thanks" US Checkpoints VS Law knowing citizens!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KXmciBvCQw

RandomGuy
10-10-2018, 02:35 PM
fuckin Obama

Eyup. Never should have allowed this.

boutons_deux
10-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Eyup. Never should have allowed this.

yep, obviously the Repugs went along, nary a peep, with Obama's immigrant brutality, as we can see, they have increased it.

Spurtacular
10-10-2018, 11:45 PM
what ruling(s) are you referring to?

I don't memorize cases; but I do know the SC has ruled that checkpoints are Constitutional. Obviously, they just threw out the 4th amendment on that one.

ElNono
10-10-2018, 11:50 PM
I don't memorize cases; but I do know the SC has ruled that checkpoints are Constitutional. Obviously, they just threw out the 4th amendment on that one.

Natsec exception to control the borders. Goes to immigration. I suppose we can't have it both ways.

Spurtacular
10-10-2018, 11:55 PM
Natsec exception to control the borders. Goes to immigration. I suppose we can't have it both ways.

Can have it both ways; Constitution was a document for the citizens by the citizens. Liberties were not extended to people without the buy in.

ElNono
10-11-2018, 12:02 AM
Can have it both ways; Constitution was a document for the citizens by the citizens. Liberties were not extended to people without the buy in.

The problem is you have bad citizens doing bad things that hurt other citizens. Somebody (a citizen) drives through with a bomb, and there's no way to search them, you have a serious problem.

It's really no different than the 1st amendment exception on yelling bomb on a crowded area.

Constitutional rights are not absolute, they can be regulated. Obviously, the bar has to be really high and the demonstrable need important. Natsec has largely always cleared that bar.

Spurtacular
10-11-2018, 12:07 AM
The problem is you have bad citizens doing bad things that hurt other citizens. Somebody (a citizen) drives through with a bomb, and there's no way to search them, you have a serious problem.

It's really no different than the 1st amendment exception on yelling bomb on a crowded area.

Constitutional rights are not absolute, they can be regulated. Obviously, the bar has to be really high and the demonstrable need important. Natsec has largely always cleared that bar.

That's a silly example. If feds have reason to suspect a bomb, probable cause allows for searches. Non probable cause searches under the pretense of security is a violation of liberty. I would say no searches without probable cause is pretty absolute. Some assholes decided they could rule against the Constitution.

ElNono
10-11-2018, 12:23 AM
That's a silly example. If feds have reason to suspect a bomb, probable cause allows for searches. Non probable cause searches under the pretense of security is a violation of liberty. I would say no searches without probable cause is pretty absolute. Some assholes decided they could rule against the Constitution.

The problem is that the government can't go all around the world looking for those assholes to see if they're building a bomb. So there's no way to have probable cause over somebody you know very little or nothing about coming back in.

So here you have two competing interests: one from the person being secure in their persons vs the government interest in providing security to it's citizens. The burden of a non-intrusive search is minimal compared to the benefits of not having mass murder.

That said, don't get me wrong, I do think it's ok to check at the borders, but some of these places are way away from there, and the searches have gone from non-intrusive to very intrusive. When corruption is also rampant, it's a recipe for disaster.

But, as I said, this is an oversight problem, not a legality problem. There should be better oversight and the citizens should have a viable avenue to register and contest abusive behavior. ie: it's ridiculous that cameras are prohibited in these areas. When transparency is lacking, corruption festers.

Spurtacular
10-11-2018, 01:13 AM
The problem is that the government can't go all around the world looking for those assholes to see if they're building a bomb. So there's no way to have probable cause over somebody you know very little or nothing about coming back in.

So here you have two competing interests: one from the person being secure in their persons vs the government interest in providing security to it's citizens. The burden of a non-intrusive search is minimal compared to the benefits of not having mass murder.

That said, don't get me wrong, I do think it's ok to check at the borders, but some of these places are way away from there, and the searches have gone from non-intrusive to very intrusive. When corruption is also rampant, it's a recipe for disaster.

But, as I said, this is an oversight problem, not a legality problem. There should be better oversight and the citizens should have a viable avenue to register and contest abusive behavior. ie: it's ridiculous that cameras are prohibited in these areas. When transparency is lacking, corruption festers.

Well, the feds better raid your garage; you could be building a bomb. Here you are talking about it and all. And I'd say when liberty is lacking, corruption festers. Founding Fathers were smart dudes. Don't get me wrong; many were in favor of a fair amount of transparency too; but liberty was always the trump card.

Winehole23
10-11-2018, 01:24 AM
I don't memorize casesapparently you prefer to wave at them from afar.

are you afraid your impartiality will be compromised by actually knowing what you are talking about?

Spurtacular
10-11-2018, 01:46 AM
apparently you prefer to wave at them from afar.

are you afraid your impartiality will be compromised by actually knowing what you are talking about?

:lmao I told you the basic reality. Don't get throw a tizzy that I won't spoonfeed you the rest, little fella.

Winehole23
10-11-2018, 01:50 AM
demands clarification, offers none.

DMC
10-11-2018, 02:35 AM
Seems like just an inconvenience to me. I don't see a problem with it. I'll guess when you fly so much you're accustomed to being searched all the time and spending an hour or two in customs now and again.

ElNono
10-11-2018, 07:15 AM
Well, the feds better raid your garage; you could be building a bomb. Here you are talking about it and all. And I'd say when liberty is lacking, corruption festers. Founding Fathers were smart dudes. Don't get me wrong; many were in favor of a fair amount of transparency too; but liberty was always the trump card.

The exception is limited in scope to certain amount of miles from the border. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an exception. Unfortunately, one right is not more important than another, this always been like that. Part of the SCOTUS job is to determine how to balance when competing interests are at play.

ElNono
10-11-2018, 07:23 AM
The Founding Fathers lived in a different world, that had different needs. While it's true that liberty and freedom is an universal concept, they didn't really tackle freedom for slaves for example (neither did the Bible, which also was written when the world looked different than it does now).

I am also a guy that prefers freedom over searches and a nanny government, even if that has a real, measurable cost in potential human lives. Some people would argue that's the price to pay for freedom. So I am actually sympathetic to your point.

But I also understand where the status quo comes from, how we got there, and how the vast majority of people are knocking at the govnerment's door when some tragic event happens.

ElNono
10-11-2018, 07:26 AM
And BTW, you could dismiss the explosive example as unlikely, but a person moving in a bunch of kilos of cocaine into a neighborhood can also have drastic consequences for a lot of citizens. So you don't even need an extreme case to make that point.

boutons_deux
10-11-2018, 07:39 AM
"Part of the SCOTUS job is to determine how to balance when competing interests are at play."

the oligarchy's 5-4 SCOTUS whores will ALWAYS, for ensuing DECADES, enable/protect the its own militarized police / surveillance state while screwing citizens

Any concern about stopping mass deaths committed by ASYLUM seekers is BS, since the Repug so-called govt has already enabled diseases and deaths of 10Ks of Americans ruling to increase pollution of air, land, water, and by denying healthcare to Ms of Americans.

The unquestionably biggest threat to American lives is internal, "America is its own worst enemy", from the oligarchy/Repug White Male Supremacists, not external from various shades of non-white asylum seekers, refugees, and by not stopping, eg Sackler family, from slaughtering 100Ks of Americans with opioids.

ElNono
10-11-2018, 09:18 AM
You sound upset, boutons, tell us how you really feel...

Winehole23
10-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Seems like just an inconvenience to me. I don't see a problem with it. I'll guess when you fly so much you're accustomed to being searched all the time and spending an hour or two in customs now and again.you didn't get a bill for a non-consensual cavity search, so everyone else should zip it.

DMC
10-11-2018, 01:55 PM
you didn't get a bill for a non-consensual cavity search, so everyone else should zip it.

Doesn't bother me. I cannot manufacture concern just because it's trending.

DMC
10-11-2018, 01:57 PM
"Part of the SCOTUS job is to determine how to balance when competing interests are at play."

the oligarchy's 5-4 SCOTUS whores will ALWAYS, for ensuing DECADES, enable/protect the its own militarized police / surveillance state while screwing citizens

Any concern about stopping mass deaths committed by ASYLUM seekers is BS, since the Repug so-called govt has already enabled diseases and deaths of 10Ks of Americans ruling to increase pollution of air, land, water, and by denying healthcare to Ms of Americans.

The unquestionably biggest threat to American lives is internal, "America is its own worst enemy", from the oligarchy/Repug White Male Supremacists, not external from various shades of non-white asylum seekers, refugees, and by not stopping, eg Sackler family, from slaughtering 100Ks of Americans with opioids.

THEY ARE ALL FUCKING CORPORATE WHORES!!!! GODDAMN REPUG SLIME PIECES OF SHIT!!!11

Winehole23
10-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Doesn't bother me. I cannot manufacture concern just because it's trending.

if your comment is just that you don't care, no need to say it twice.

DMC
10-11-2018, 05:41 PM
if your comment is just that you don't care, no need to say it twice.

You launched some sort of righteous indignation at me so...

Winehole23
10-11-2018, 08:45 PM
I get it, you don't care if BP abuses US citizens because you're not inconvenienced.

Winehole23
11-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Great day for for US travelers.

Fuck ICE, tbh.

The district court order puts an end to CBP and ICE’s asserted authority to search and seize travelers’ devices for purposes far afield from the enforcement of immigration and customs laws. Border officers must now demonstrate individualized suspicion of contraband before they can search a traveler’s device.https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/federal-court-rules-suspicionless-searches-travelers-phones-and-laptops