PDA

View Full Version : Who' the Most Successful "Former" Spur??

Lonestar
10-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I've believed for a long time that Coach Pop get's the most out of his players while they are Spurs. I can't really think of any former Spur that was more successful once he moved on. I don't think DA was any better in Portland or that Rod Strickland was much better (yes I know he didn't play for Pop) once he left. I do believe that Stephen Jackson may eventually be the exception but I'm sure curious as to what all of you think. Has any former Spur (from the last 12 years) really made much of an impact once they left SA.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Antonio hasn't done bad for himself, if you want to limit it to the Pop era. And of course there's Rodman.

There are quite a few outisde of your 12-year range (John Paxson, Mychel Thompson)

GoSpurs21
10-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Raja Bell has done a lot better for himself since leaving the Spurs, but Pop laid down that foundation.

exstatic
10-24-2005, 06:17 PM
How far back are we going? John Paxson started for the Bulls and got rings for their entire first three-peat.

alamo50
10-25-2005, 04:03 AM
Speedy.

xcoriate
10-25-2005, 04:31 AM
Antonio Daniels springs to mind obviously S-Jax as well.

DesiSpur_21
10-25-2005, 04:47 AM
S-Jax (if you look at last 6-7 yrs)

Supergirl
10-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Most successful Spurs post-Spurs:
Dennis Rodman - went on to win NBA championships
Stephen Jackson - Currently starting on a championship contender. Verdict not out.

2nd tier:
Antonio Daniels - went on the play crucial roles on non-championship contenders.
Raja Bell - See above. Like Daniels, Pop's influence laid the groundwork.

3rd tier:
Speedy Claxton - Post Spurs his role on a non-contender has been limited by injuries

4th tier:
Derek Anderson - Went on to play for a losing team, and he hasn't learned much from Pop - his D is still weak.

boutons
10-25-2005, 08:20 AM
"Speedy."

wow, you must be joking? Speedy did little at lottery GSW, and now is fighting for bottom-dwelling Hornets minutes with rookie Chris Paul.

One can't blame Speedy for leaving the Spurs for a chance to start after his flash-in-the-pan heroics in the 03 Playoffs, but it sure looks like his NBA career, 4 years of it now, and development is going to be as serviceable backup PG rather than starting PG. ... if he stays healthy

DesiSpur_21
10-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Stephen Jackson - Currently starting on a championship contender. Verdict not out.

2nd tier:
Antonio Daniels - went on the play crucial roles on non-championship contenders.
Raja Bell - See above. Like Daniels, Pop's influence laid the groundwork.

3rd tier:
Speedy Claxton - Post Spurs his role on a non-contender has been limited by injuries

4th tier:
Derek Anderson - Went on to play for a losing team, and he hasn't learned much from Pop - his D is still weak.

:tu

ShoogarBear
10-25-2005, 10:06 AM
What about Danny Ferry and Mike Brown?

DesiSpur_21
10-25-2005, 10:23 AM

:lol

Great point though...

Supergirl
10-25-2005, 11:21 AM

I wasn't going to include people who went into management positions with other teams - that would also include AJ, Kevin Willis, Terry Porter, and Mario Elie who even though they continued as players were essentially doing so to get into management/coaching. It seems like comparing apples and oranges. In a sense, they've all done well by gaining enough respect to move up into coaching or management positions after their tenure with the Spurs. Same goes for Steve Kerr.

Come to think of it, I think that says a lot about the Spurs that so many of them go on to leadership positions with other teams after their time with the Spurs.

Lonestar
10-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Come to think of it, I think that says a lot about the Spurs that so many of them go on to leadership positions with other teams after their time with the Spurs.

Great post. I think all the players and front office folks are a reflection of the kind of organization we have here in SA. I credit Pop, RC and Peter Holt.

Spurminator
10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Probably should include George Karl too.

Lonestar
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
"Speedy."
One can't blame Speedy for leaving the Spurs for a chance to start after his flash-in-the-pan heroics in the 03 Playoffs,

That is exactly my point. How does Pop manage to get so much out these players who don't seem to do as well once they move on. I'm sure having an NBA All Star Forward has something to do with it but coaching must be at least as important. I am a big Stephen Jackson fan but I often wonder if he will ever realize his full potential in another organization (even one as good as the Pacers). The same goes for Derek Anderson and Speedy. Could they have had better careers if they had managed to stay with the Spurs (which they all could have).

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 11:47 AM
How about Coby Dietrick? He gets to be feted as a former Spur all over town and he lounges around at his Relax the Back store or whatever with a big ass dog all day long.

Slo spurs fan
10-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Hedo !?

Supergirl
10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
I think Hedo would fall under the 3rd or 4th tier - went on to a starting/significant role on a mediocre team, with mediocre success integrating the Pop basics on D.

slayermin
10-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Vinny!

alamo50
10-25-2005, 03:38 PM
"Speedy."

wow, you must be joking? Speedy did little at lottery GSW, and now is fighting for bottom-dwelling Hornets minutes with rookie Chris Paul.

One can't blame Speedy for leaving the Spurs for a chance to start after his flash-in-the-pan heroics in the 03 Playoffs, but it sure looks like his NBA career, 4 years of it now, and development is going to be as serviceable backup PG rather than starting PG. ... if he stays healthy

YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PPG
02-03 SAS 30 0 15.7 .462 .000 .684 .7 1.1 1.9 2.5 .73 .23 1.17 5.8
03-04 GSW 60 29 26.6 .427 .182 .813 .6 2.0 2.6 4.5 1.62 .15 1.70 10.6
04-05 GSW 46 44 32.6 .431 .192 .761 .7 2.6 3.3 6.2 1.89 .13 2.00 13.1

:tu

And watch what's gonna happen when he gets traded this season or the next to a starting PG spot somewhere.

:bling

The Artest Factor
10-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Stephen Jackson by far. The guys been a 19/5/3 player the past 2 years.

Guru of Nothing
10-25-2005, 04:58 PM
http://www.thehoya.com/images/041604/jackson.jpg

The Artest Factor
10-25-2005, 05:15 PM
WTF is that? Jaren Jackson?

Lonestar
10-25-2005, 08:08 PM
WTF is that? Jaren Jackson?

:lol

exstatic
10-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Pre-season a few years back. He was the last cut.

Bloodline666
10-26-2005, 04:35 AM
You know, these two are the most successful former Spurs, without a shadow of a doubt. Dennis Rodman already had two NBA Championships before he joined the Spurs (both with Detroit). He just added three more to his resume afterwards. Stephen Jackson, on the other hand, won a championship with the Spurs, and hasn't won any since, but is on a team that has been a serious Championship contender since the early 90s (and Reggie Miller paved the way for that team).

However, these two have also had controversy after leaving the Spurs.

Dennis Rodman...hell, his controversy started when his career began. Him being one of the original "Bad Boys" of the Detroit Pistons during Isiah Thomas' career was only the breeding ground for the type of player Rodman would later become. Then the infamous tattoos and colored hair began when he was traded for Sean Elliott. Towards the end of his second season with the Spurs, he was becoming a liability to the team, and HAD to be traded right away. So they didn't hesitate to trade his ass for Will Perdue, but by doing so, the Spurs basically had a hand in continuing the Bulls dynasty, which we thought was over with already. And then, Dennis Rodman starts talking a lot of shit about the Spurs, up to and including Gregg Popovich, who was GM at the time he was playing for the Spurs.

Stephen Jackson...well, we all know what happened last season at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Just when I thought controversy with ex-Spurs ended with Dennis Rodman, I was gravely mistaken. Turns out Stephen Jackson, himself, was involved in that "Basket Brawl", "Malice At The Palace", or whatever you want to call the Pistons/Pacers brawl. Basically, he had a hand in souring the very image of this sport. I can tell for sure that no Spurs fan wants him back after his involvement in that fight.

Supergirl
10-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I thought it was interesting that the two most successful ex-Spurs both had behavioral/personality issues off the court. I think in both cases that contributed to why they couldn't be Spurs long term. SJax really couldn't tolerate being second to Manu, and was destined to be out of here one way or the other. And there was no way wild, wild Rodman would fit in on a team with evangelical D-Rob and AJ at the helm.

Lonestar
10-26-2005, 10:21 AM
I think it all goes back to Pop's "Put Up With No Bullshit" style of leadership. Behave my way or we'll ship your ass out and replace you with a role player who we can teach to do your job well enough to get us where we're trying to go.

phyzik
10-26-2005, 01:14 PM
What about Steve Kerr?

Mixability
10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
when did we have raja bell?

and you're a die hard Spurs fan?!?! :rolleyes

Oh, Gee!!
10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Sean Elliott