PDA

View Full Version : The Astros are in the World Series

Spurminator
10-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm still slapping myself.

Maybe it's a loser attitude, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this and it has nothing to do with winning and losing. It's a strange feeling... I've never really had that attitude toward the Spurs, but with the Astros it's almost as though the victory has already been won and a World Series Championship would just be icing. I guess it has to do with my differing attitudes towards baseball and basketball.

The World Series is still the best Championship of any of the major sports, in my opinion. I suppose most would favor the Super Bowl, and with good reason, but the World Series just seems so much more historically significant to me. Particularly when you're throwing out numbers like "First World Series Title Since 1917."

Even if the Astros lose (though I'd at least like them to win a couple of games to avoid a sweep) this will go down as one of my happiest sports experiences. After this, expectations will be higher, and only with an Astros World Series victory will I achieve these levels of joy as a fan. So I'm going to take this in completely and enjoy it, win or lose.

Duff McCartney
10-24-2005, 05:51 PM
With any luck it'll be another 40+ years before the Astros make another WS.

tlongII
10-24-2005, 05:52 PM
With any luck it'll be another 40+ years before the Astros make another WS.

...but will it be 40+ years before you pay off your debts?

Brutalis
10-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I like the Cards but I'm not a big baseball fan so I dont really know what it feels like to have your team in the World Series. But I think I would be more upset than happy if I was you. I bet Astro fans take more crap than any teams fans.

samikeyp
10-24-2005, 06:32 PM
I bet Astro fans take more crap than any teams fans.

Even more than Yankee fans?

Marcus Bryant
10-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm still slapping myself.

Maybe it's a loser attitude, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this and it has nothing to do with winning and losing. It's a strange feeling... I've never really had that attitude toward the Spurs, but with the Astros it's almost as though the victory has already been won and a World Series Championship would just be icing. I guess it has to do with my differing attitudes towards baseball and basketball.

The World Series is still the best Championship of any of the major sports, in my opinion. I suppose most would favor the Super Bowl, and with good reason, but the World Series just seems so much more historically significant to me. Particularly when you're throwing out numbers like "First World Series Title Since 1917."

Even if the Astros lose (though I'd at least like them to win a couple of games to avoid a sweep) this will go down as one of my happiest sports experiences. After this, expectations will be higher, and only with an Astros World Series victory will I achieve these levels of joy as a fan. So I'm going to take this in completely and enjoy it, win or lose.

Hey, only down 2 and we're in our house with our ace on the mound in the next one.

Brutalis
10-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Even more than Yankee fans?
With the name "Yankee" they already had it comming.

Spurminator
10-25-2005, 08:49 AM
I like the Cards but I'm not a big baseball fan so I dont really know what it feels like to have your team in the World Series. But I think I would be more upset than happy if I was you. I bet Astro fans take more crap than any teams fans.

None that I've experienced.