PDA

View Full Version : The DeRozan + Aldridge combo

Dejounte
10-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Perhaps the underrated aspect of the acquisition... Is the seemingly great chemistry DeMar and LaMarcus are showing on-court in game 1. Their games mesh very well...

Chinook
10-17-2018, 08:39 PM
I think that's being rated fairly, considering how much people underrate those guys separately. DeRozan/Gasol is the most underrated aspect in my opinion. If there's a way to rejuvenate Gasol offensively, it's going to come from him playing with DeMar.

illusioNtEk
10-17-2018, 08:45 PM
It almost seems like LMA and DeRozan been playing together for years

offset formation
10-17-2018, 08:51 PM
I think that's being rated fairly, considering how much people underrate those guys separately. DeRozan/Gasol is the most underrated aspect in my opinion. If there's a way to rejuvenate Gasol offensively, it's going to come from him playing with DeMar.

Not saying you're wrong, but would you mind expounding on that point?

Immortal Spur
10-17-2018, 08:52 PM
It almost seems like LMA and DeRozan been playing together for years
easy to look that way when the guy using the pick passes. LMA puts himself in the right places.

Chinook
10-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Not saying you're wrong, but would you mind expounding on that point?

Pau looked so good two years ago mainly because of the 3/5 PnP with Leonard. DeRozan can definitely run the same play with Pau and in fact did so earlier (Pau passed out of the open three because Gasol is passive like that). Once they get that established again, Gasol should be able to add a couple of points a game and boost his TS%. Would also add a lot more spacing on the offense and give Gasol even more lanes to pass.

offset formation
10-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Pau looked so good two years ago mainly because of the 3/5 PnP with Leonard. DeRozan can definitely run the same play with Pau and in fact did so earlier (Pau passed out of the open three because Gasol is passive like that). Once they get that established again, Gasol should be able to add a couple of points a game and boost his TS%. Would also add a lot more spacing on the offense and give Gasol even more lanes to pass.

I figured you qere referring to the PnR/PnP.

Thanks-

YGWHI
10-17-2018, 09:25 PM
It's a pleasure to watch DD/LMA two-man game. If they're playing THIS well together in the 1st game of the season, just imagine how good they'll be in 2-3 months into the season.

DAF86
10-17-2018, 10:05 PM
Both these guys won us this game at the end. Demar with his offense and LA with his defense, rebounding and just his commanding presence down there.

james evans
10-17-2018, 10:05 PM
we just an't have 20 game this season of Aldridge missing wide open 15 footers this year. He's got to hit at least 70% of those open shot

ginobilized
10-17-2018, 10:06 PM
There is a lot to be happy about in game #1. They play well together and their body language and communication seem very positive.
Big difference from last season.

TheGreatYacht
10-17-2018, 10:08 PM
Aldridge could've had a 30/20 game if he wasn't ice cold from outside today. Even his free throws were short.

Liked what I saw from both :tu

Chomag
10-17-2018, 10:09 PM
I'm liking their dynamic so far

daslicer
10-17-2018, 10:09 PM
They compliment each other well. Lamarcus didn't have a good shooting game but he did get over 20 FG attempts which I know is important to him while Demar also got over 20 FG attempts. I felt both players FG attempts came within the flow of the game and wasn't forced so that's a good sign despite LMA not having a good shooting night.

8FOR!3
10-17-2018, 10:11 PM
As much as losing Murray will hurt us defensively (and potentially offensively if he was going to take a step up this year,) I do think it will help DeRozan's transition to the team. Ball will be in his hands more and you won't have 3 guys (Murray/DeRozan/Aldridge) who need the ball a lot.

Mugen
10-17-2018, 10:13 PM
I mean it's definitely an upgrade over the Kyle Anderson + Lamarcus combo we had last year.

Dejounte
10-17-2018, 10:14 PM
There is a lot to be happy about in game #1. They play well together and their body language and communication seem very positive.
Big difference from last season.

Whenever LMA played with Kawhi, it was LMA feeling out of place in the offense. Sure, Pop took the heat for "changing LMA's game" but I think that was just Pop being Pop and catering to LMA's ego. Kawhi didn't make LMA fit in at all. I watched the first half of the Raptors game tonight and Kawhi just doesn't have the same impact for his teammates on offense as DeMar does. Kawhi is a positive on offense solely because he's so good at making his MJ shots. But he is a blackhole on offense. I think it's the pace he plays at that isn't really compatible with others. On the defensive end on the other hand...it's a different story.

daslicer
10-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Whenever LMA played with Kawhi, it was LMA feeling out of place in the offense. Sure, Pop took the heat for "changing LMA's game" but I think that was just Pop being Pop and catering to LMA's ego. Kawhi didn't make LMA fit in at all. I watched the first half of the Raptors game tonight and Kawhi just doesn't have the same impact for his teammates on offense as DeMar does. Kawhi is a positive on offense solely because he's so good at making his MJ shots. But he is a blackhole on offense. I think it's the pace he plays at that isn't really compatible with others. On the defensive end on the other hand...it's a different story.

It's interesting you mention the pace that Kawhi plays at. I was just thinking the other day about how much LMA hated playing with Kawhi that he even preferred to be traded back to Portland to play with a chucker in Lillard. Despite Lilllard being a chucker LMA always got 20 easily playing with him and felt comfortable whereas with Kawhi it was the opposite.

Chomag
10-17-2018, 10:25 PM
Did you guys see when DD and LMA looked at each other and cheered at the end of the game ? It really looks like they are legitimately enjoying playing with one other and not just because they have to

Spurs fever
10-17-2018, 11:05 PM
It was nice to see both players happy for each other.

offset formation
10-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Did you guys see when DD and LMA looked at each other and cheered at the end of the game ? It really looks like they are legitimately enjoying playing with one other and not just because they have to

Yep, I caught that as well. Positive development so early in the season.

sasaint
10-17-2018, 11:36 PM

Yes. It was very cool. After twelve months of divisiveness, that kind of shared joy was a terrific scene to start this season.

Kobe'sAchilles
10-17-2018, 11:49 PM
Kawhi just didn't have chemistry with LMA both as a player and a person. He freezes teammates out with his play, but he is just so gifted offensively that it makes up for it in the team aspect. He has stretches where you just watch him play and say daaaamn. But yeah he isn't a set-up other teammates kind of player and probably never will be.
Demar is just about as different from kawhi offensively as you can get. He is a very good dribbler and is looking to set up others when he posts up or when he drives. It's gonna be an interesting season. But it wouldn't shock me if they both make the All star team. BTW last year Portland (of all teams) was the 3 seed in the west and they have Lolard and CJ, so we it's not out of the realm of possibilities to grab homecourt

skin27
10-17-2018, 11:49 PM
They can win in regular season!! But in the playoffs? I don’t think so.

Keepin' it real
10-18-2018, 12:27 AM

Well, I guess it's all over ...

marinoman
10-18-2018, 12:38 AM
The only player worse than demar the last 10 years in the playoffs was lowry, hopefully being away from him and playing less reg. season minutes will change all that, maybe

tbdog
10-18-2018, 12:44 AM
They compliment each other well. Lamarcus didn't have a good shooting game but he did get over 20 FG attempts which I know is important to him while Demar also got over 20 FG attempts. I felt both players FG attempts came within the flow of the game and wasn't forced so that's a good sign despite LMA not having a good shooting night.

Exactly. As much as a did like Leonard, DD works better with LMA. They can play together on the same side court. It felt really natural out there with these two like they have been playing for years. I think they will both like each others game, more so than Leonard and Lowry.

tbdog
10-18-2018, 12:45 AM

I am not looking at the playoffs and I know pop won't be either. We got 81 more games to go. We still haven't seen a full side.

MaNu4Tres
10-18-2018, 12:48 AM
DeMar & LMA already have more chemistry than Kawhi & LMA ever had.

DAF86
10-18-2018, 12:58 AM
They simply looked like the two best players on the court. Clearly outclassed everybody else.

Kawhitstorm
10-18-2018, 01:14 AM

Not surprising considering that they are both betas.

MaNu4Tres
10-18-2018, 01:15 AM

DeMar is also a better playmaker than Kawhi ever was.

Kawhitstorm
10-18-2018, 01:22 AM

Too bad he can't even make plays for himself when it matters most....:baby

playbonner15
10-18-2018, 01:32 AM
I only saw the highlights and didnt see the combo much. Hope it becomes more obvious as the season progresses. My only concern is that Derozan has no reliable 3pt shot and defenders can quickly recover to where Derozan is whenever Aldridge is double teamed in the post

skin27
10-18-2018, 01:39 AM
The only player worse than demar the last 10 years in the playoffs was lowry, hopefully being away from him and playing less reg. season minutes will change all that, maybe

lma and demar played 41 and 38 minutes respectively..so I dont think pop is limiting their minutes. I also think demar will have good season though..

marinoman
10-18-2018, 01:45 AM
lma and demar played 41 and 38 minutes respectively..so I dont think pop is limiting their minutes. I also think demar will have good season though..
Walker will come back, white, gay took a shot so was out late, and we all know there will be games where pop won’t play the main guys

Dverde
10-18-2018, 09:25 AM

I agree with that. Also better leader and teammate. Still think Kawhi is the better player.

SpursDynasty85
10-18-2018, 09:32 AM
I agree that DD just has an "IT" factor on offense he is also very comfortable in "clutch" time. No hesitation and plays with good awareness. My guess is that he is a very high level basketball "IQ". On offense he knew when and how to attack. He isn't the 1 on 1 player Leonard was but he is a much better facilitator. It was a very good sign for the first game but one that should be taken with a grain of salt because the Timberwolves are likely only playing to around 70% of their potential right now although they competed with a lot of heart too, they are obviously discombobulated a bit. LMA always goes off on this team. Its like he has KAT's number for now.

SAGirl
10-18-2018, 09:58 AM
True. Which makes one wonder about Spurs past chemistry issues since LMA clearly wanted out a season b4 Kawhi did. That’s in the past but something definitely wasn’t clicking there.

SpursDynasty85
10-18-2018, 10:10 AM

If you look closely at LMA's career you wouldn't say he's a beta. Demar either. Both might not be top 5 talent but they have alpha/beta qualites which is the best to have. Big 3 showed those same traits.

ceperez
10-18-2018, 10:20 AM

I agree. Kawhi isn't that advanced in facilitating the offense for his team mates.

With DeRozan looking for pick and roll opportunities and kick outs, I think will compensate for some loss of Manu and Parker. Hopefully, Walker IV can play backup to that kind of a role.

BSfromTX
10-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Will they continue to play that many minutes though?

jmard5
10-18-2018, 11:01 AM

Yup, saw that too!

Pako
10-18-2018, 11:23 AM
True. Which makes one wonder about Spurs past chemistry issues since LMA clearly wanted out a season b4 Kawhi did. That’s in the past but something definitely wasn’t clicking there.

You made a good point on this.

K...
10-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Will they continue to play that many minutes though?

I'd say yes until Walker returns or poetl improves

spurraider21
10-18-2018, 11:33 AM
I mean it's definitely an upgrade over the Kyle Anderson + Lamarcus combo we had last year.
that's why i'm not understanding why people think this team is going to be worse than last year. granted i do think losing murray changes the dynamic, but people were saying that even before we had injuries. never made sense. derozan is a clear upgrade to whatever the fuck you call what we had last year

BackHome
10-18-2018, 11:35 AM

WTF you talking about did you even watch the game? Or as usual just talking out of KY Ass?

Dverde
10-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Can we all agree to simplify this duo into one name “Lamar”?

daslicer
10-18-2018, 07:10 PM

I'm a very convinced he hated playing with Kawhi from day 1. Their games just didn't compliment each other.

YGWHI
10-18-2018, 07:20 PM
I'm a very convinced he hated playing with Kawhi from day 1. Their games just didn't compliment each other.

Agree. But he also thought this was gonna be HIS team then Kawhi was fantastic finished as MVP top 2/3 candiddate that year and the next.

That's why LMA asked Pop to play more minutes, to get more touches, it wasnt just not being compatible together, there was some of LMA ego there. He never handled well that younger, more talented guys stole the show

YGWHI
10-18-2018, 07:34 PM

You have to stop this shit, bro.

DeMar already made plays "when it matters most" last game.

If you talk about playoffs, we have a whole season before.
Anyway, I've posted that DD will have the best years of his career this year in the season AND postseason because I truly believe it. Raptors is a frenetic team and DeMar fits a lot better into an "old school" team like the Spurs.

You can wish the best for Kawhi in Toronto and still root for DeMar as Spur.

I never liked LMA's -I loved how Tiago killed him in playoffs- or Rudy's empty stats but last year I was rooting for both guys as crazy.

Seriously, just relax and enjoy this new season.

SpursDynasty85
10-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Agree. But he also thought this was gonna be HIS team then Kawhi was fantastic finished as MVP top 2/3 candiddate that year and the next.

That's why LMA asked Pop to play more minutes, to get more touches, it wasnt just not being compatible together, there was some of LMA ego there. He never handled well that younger, more talented guys stole the show

I think he was fine until he felt he got completely scapegoated after the GS series when Kawhi went down. His stock went down and he would've lost tens of millions on his next contract. That's not what he signed up for. Pop even admitted he tried to change him which was a mistake in a way. You can improve him but you can't change him.

He is easily one of my favorite players and should go down as a Spurs legend if he ends up winning a title or consistently going to WCFs. He is a complete top 10 player now. When hes mor scoring he rebounds and defends at a high level.

YGWHI
10-18-2018, 07:50 PM
I think he was fine until he felt he got completely scapegoated after the GS series when Kawhi went down. His stock went down and he would've lost tens of millions on his next contract. That's not what he signed up for. Pop even admitted he tried to change him which was a mistake in a way. You can improve him but you can't change him.

He is easily one of my favorite players and should go down as a Spurs legend if he ends up winning a title or consistently going to WCFs. He is a complete top 10 player now. When hes mor scoring he rebounds and defends at a high level.

I have to admit LMA never was exactly one of my favorite players but I guess it's more a thing about style of game and positions. NBA has become a perimeter-oriented league for a reason and I enjoy more to watch perimeter players or bigs with 3-point range than LMA.

Just a thing of styles. But I still root for LMA since his Day 1 as Spur.

JakeCuenca
10-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Looks decent as a combo, but they badly need gay healthy. With Gay healthy they can limit forbes and mills by playing derozan more guard minutes.

daslicer

I don't think LMA really cared about the MVP stuff but more so was angry he couldn't be a 20 point scorer with Kawhi. Just being real their games didn't compliment each other and LMA suffered the most from that with reduced touches and lowered scoring which resulted in LMA not going to the all-star game. LMA had jealousy issues with Lillard but I don't think that was the case with Kawhi. Hell it got to the point where LMA wanted to rejoin Lillard since his stats didn't suffer when he played with Lillard.

YGWHI
I only saw the highlights and didnt see the combo much. Hope it becomes more obvious as the season progresses. My only concern is that Derozan has no reliable 3pt shot and defenders can quickly recover to where Derozan is whenever Aldridge is double teamed in the post

That's why we get Beli, Patty and Bryn there. When LMA gets double, instead of DD trying to attack the rim because he doesn't have range, he will pass to the open guy at the 3-point line. A perfect play.

offset formation
10-18-2018, 08:03 PM
You have to stop this shit, bro.

DeMar already made plays "when it matters most" last game.

If you talk about playoffs, we have a whole season before.
Anyway, I've posted that DD will have the best years of his career this year in the season AND postseason because I truly believe it. Raptors is a frenetic team and DeMar fits a lot better into an "old school" team like the Spurs.

You can wish the best for Kawhi in Toronto and still root for DeMar as Spur.

I never liked LMA's -I loved how Tiago killed him in playoffs- or Rudy's empty stats but last year I was rooting for both guys as crazy.

Seriously, just relax and enjoy this new season.

:bobo

YGWHI
10-18-2018, 08:07 PM
I don't think LMA really cared about the MVP stuff but more so was angry he couldn't be a 20 point scorer with Kawhi. Just being real their games didn't compliment each other and LMA suffered the most from that with reduced touches and lowered scoring which resulted in LMA not going to the all-star game. LMA had jealousy issues with Lillard but I don't think that was the case with Kawhi. Hell it got to the point where LMA wanted to rejoin Lillard since his stats didn't suffer when he played with Lillard.
Again, I agree on their games weren't compatibles.

Both players gets their mid-range shots at the same spots on court, but also it was Pop's system that didn't allow him to be a 20-pts guy. There weren't enough pace/possessions to give both guys 18 FGAs per game.

Fortunately, Pop has changed this season. It's pretty clear -w/o White and Murray to share the ball- that he will let LMA/DD to have as many touches as they want...We saw it in preseason and yesterday.

About to rejoin Lillard, LMA felt all the pressure to perform in playoffs on an elite team, a pressure and criticism that he never got in Portland. I guess, he wanted to return to a safe place, to his comfort zone

SouthTexasRancher
10-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Perhaps the underrated aspect of the acquisition... Is the seemingly great chemistry DeMar and LaMarcus are showing on-court in game 1. Their games mesh very well...

They looked like they had been playing together for several seasons. Anyone who had a fear about both being on the floor together should feel better after last night. Rudy Gay also played well with all 3 on the court at the same time. Last night was a good game 1 for us.

hater
10-19-2018, 07:22 AM
Watching Kawhi “Lamarcus combo was like watching a couple of invalids try to plug in a fridge

DJR210
10-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Kawhitstorm
10-20-2018, 03:12 AM
If you look closely at LMA's career you wouldn't say he's a beta. Demar either. Both might not be top 5 talent but they have alpha/beta qualites which is the best to have. Big 3 showed those same traits.

You mean his postseason shrinkage career?:cry

Kurgan
10-20-2018, 04:50 AM

quite insulting to compare all-time great legends like tim duncan to mental midgets like aldridge and derozan. there's a reason those two have a reputation for shrinking in the playoffs.

SpursDynasty85
10-20-2018, 08:04 AM
quite insulting to compare all-time great legends like tim duncan to mental midgets like aldridge and derozan. there's a reason those two have a reputation for shrinking in the playoffs.

LMA had done relatively good considering the talent against him and his supporting cast. I've seen him throw up multiple 40 pt games in playoffs. The fact he has lead his teams to good positions in the stacked West as the bonafide leader of his team is good enough for me to not call him a beta. Give him 2 of the big 3 from pre 2014 he probably wins a championship as well.

John B
10-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Not only LMA but the rest of the team, the way Demar facilitates. I’m liking him play combo guard. What this team needs is an excellent 3nD and hopefully Walker can fill that role quick. Murray’s defense and rebounding is great but he can’t space up Demar and LMA, not yet. Even White fits better on paper with the first team. I love Murray’s potential but that’s it, potential. It makes me wonder if Spurs should package him to land a Davis or a Greek Freak... hmm 🤔

r0drig0lac
10-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Not only LMA but the rest of the team, the way Demar facilitates. I’m liking him play combo guard. What this team needs is an excellent 3nD and hopefully Walker can fill that role quick. Murray’s defense and rebounding is great but he can’t space up Demar and LMA, not yet. Even White fits better on paper with the first team. I love Murray’s potential but that’s it, potential. It makes me wonder if Spurs should package him to land a Davis or a Greek Freak... hmm 🤔

Chinook
10-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Him and a first-round pick of course

r0drig0lac
10-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Him and a first-round pick of course

now it makes sense

Chinook
10-20-2018, 11:18 AM
now it makes sense

(We use blue for sarcasm here, btb. I know RGM uses that for their mod judgements, but Kori and timvp don't really give warnings and use regular text when they do.)

BillMc
11-03-2018, 11:34 PM
Produced a win today

alpha_HaZE
11-03-2018, 11:45 PM

THIS! I couldn't agree more. Gasol is playing really well for us this year. And so is Rudy Gay. Am so happy to see those two playing well. LaMarcus has missed quite a few open shots, that's shots he usually makes or he made last year. But you see, this is not a contract year for him is still not in Basket Ball shape. Which is why Pop plays him heavy minutes. OK, he plays defense, I will give you that he competes, but it would be nice if he was in shape.

JuneJive
11-04-2018, 11:48 AM
What would be the PROS and CONS offensively speaking?

DeMar is a master ballhandler with a plethora of moves inside, LMA one of the remaining bigs with a post up play alongside his mid-range game.

I see it as the breadwinner of this teams offense come playoff time. ( Their two man game. PNR or PNP )

What would you do as an opposing team?

DeMar doesn't have a decent 3PT shot, so this kinda crams the space in which both he and LMA can operate...
What else...

SpursDynasty85
11-04-2018, 04:00 PM
What would be the PROS and CONS offensively speaking?

DeMar is a master ballhandler with a plethora of moves inside, LMA one of the remaining bigs with a post up play alongside his mid-range game.

I see it as the breadwinner of this teams offense come playoff time. ( Their two man game. PNR or PNP )

What would you do as an opposing team?

DeMar doesn't have a decent 3PT shot, so this kinda crams the space in which both he and LMA can operate...
What else...

Demar and Aldridge pick and pop game opens up our shooters. Gay, Forbes, Mills, White, and Davis just gotta make their shots.